Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Titan

Comments

• texas_ford_guytexas_ford_guy Member Posts: 36
    no bashing brother....the trade in on them is crap....but if it's worth something to you, i know where you can buy one for $23000.
  • dbauerdbauer Member Posts: 416
    might want to change your handle, then....
    na....i sold him a real truck, took his on trade. ill keep the handle.
  • dadoftaydadoftay Member Posts: 136
    I know your not making fun of a truck that stickers for 28K going for 22K used.? Have you seen the sticker on a new F150 or even worse the SilverSierra twins? Atlanta pulls that XLT crew for around 28-30K and year old models are in the low 20s but the GM duo is around 32 new an hits the low 20s as well. Nice job Ford/GM for losing all profit dollars on rebates and crashing your own resale value.
    no, im making fun of a truck that stickers for 32700 trading in 4 months later at 22000....for the sake of comparing apples to apples, the same 4 month old 04 f150 lariat crew with 7000 miles on it would have a base sticker price of 33330 less a 4000 rebate with a net sticker price of 29330. clean book on the f150 would be 24500. so, in summary, if you bout one of each 4 months ago, and traded both in today, the f150 would have cost you 4730. the titan would have cost you 10700. assuming you bought them with no additional options at full sticker price. now tell me how wonderful the titan is.
  • atlgaxtatlgaxt Member Posts: 501
    I'm not sure I understand your point. The Titan that stickers for $32,700 can also be bought for a lot less than sticker, so the $10,700 "cost" of driving the Titan is a fake number, and your comparison is meaningless.

In any case, anyone who trades in a four month old vehicle to a car dealer should know that they are going to get raked over the coals by vultures. It is not a smart thing to do no matter what you are driving.
    i wouldnt say its meaningless....the cost of the hypothetical f150 was also at sticker...if you want to use real numbers, the ford dealer is capable of moving a whole lot more on the price than a nissan dealer, so while the 10700 might be lower, the number on the ford would be even lower than that, making the difference between the two even greater. its just a fact of life. some vehicles are absolute crap at trade in time. the nissan titan is one of the worst. its worse than the dodge quad cab hemi, which is really saying something. it ranks right up there with the vw beetle, chrysler pt cruiser, it may even be as bad as a jaguar. thats just the way it is. and i sincerely hope you leased yours.
    a $32700 stickered titan would be a SE CC 4x4. first of all, learn your competition. this is not a loaded truck.

secondly, i deal with fords too, and a comparable supercrew XLT 4x4 stickers for over $35k.

dont come to the table without knowledge, sir. even an uneducated buyer can find the correct numbers on this very site.

oh, and the other thing...fords markup is almost an identical % as nissans.
    ill give you the fact that i dont really know the exact markup on a nissan. the sticker price i used on the ford is real. lariat 4x2 with no additional options. if you deal with new nissans and fords, you know good and well the trade in situation on the nissan. im just saying, admit to its shortcommings, then post some messages about how it can outrun a dodge with a hemi or is better designed than the ford, or whatever your personal opinion is about it. just acknowlege that it dam sure isnt the end-all for trucks. it has some pretty major drawbacks. for me, the drawback is the resale value, because once someone actually buys one of these things, its gonna be one heckuva long time before they can get out of it.
    "once someone actually buys one of these things, its gonna be one heckuva long time before they can get out of it."

and this is different from the rest of the auto industry how???

you gave figures for 2 totally different trucks.

the truck you traded for had a sticker price of $32700, and you said it was a crew cab. that means that its either an SE 4x4 or an LE 4x2.

if you equip an F150 the same way (XLT 4x4 supercrew or lariat 4x2 supercrew), they sticker for over $35000 either way.

the 4x2 lariat that stickers for $33k is a supercab, in which case we need to compare it with a KING cab titan instead of a crew cab.

its called consistency. you are trying to spin this to the ford side.

dont get me wrong...i love fords, and i love the f150...but dealing with them both, the titan has a MUCH better resale value than the ford.

as soon as more hit the used car market, it will get even better.

ask terry over in the RWTIV board.
  • viper1964viper1964 Member Posts: 16
    Where in Louisville, I lived there 18 years and went to Western H.S. You are right you do live in ford country.
    ok cheif. ill break it down one more time for you, this time using less coplicated language. acccording to edmunds.com, and this number is correct by the way, the base sticker price of a 4x2 crew cab lariat is "2004 Ford F-150

4dr SuperCrew Lariat Rwd Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

MSRP Invoice

National Base Price (excludes destination charge)

A note about advertising fees $32,535 $28,430". add in the destination cahrge, and youre at 33330. before any additional options, of course. clean book on this vehicle is 24700, also before any additional options.

the base sticker price of the 4x2 le nissan is 32700. the current market value of this truck is indeed 22000. thats not just me saying it, look at the previous posts from disgusted owners trying to trade their rigs in.

rebates are what they are, and id rather be getting them than not. once you deduct the 4000 rebate on the 04 ford, you end up with that incredible difference in true cost.

i wish it werent that way, because for every guy that jumped on the ill-fated nissan bandwagon, thats a prospective customer that really cant get out of his truck for a very long time.

it would benefit me greatly if there were any resale value at all on these things, but that certainly isnt the case.

and if you were going to try to say the comparison isnt fare again, i invite you to research and version of the nissan vs. any version of the ford, dodge, or god help me, the gm products. the result will be the same in every single instance. as a percentage, the nissan devalueates a helluva lot faster than any other make because there is no market at all for it as a pre owned.

dont get mad at the messanger brother....thats just the way it is.
    and one more thing (i was more than a little insulted).

ill put my money where my mouth is. like i said, i know where you can get a titan le crew, white with 7134 miles on it for an even 23000.

if resale on the titan is MUCH better on the nissan, im sure youll be ALL OVER IT.

:P
    http://www.edmunds.com/new/2004/nissan/titan/100370938/prices.htm- l?tid=edmunds.n.miptype.pricetable.num2.1.nissan*

MSRP on a 4x2 LE CC is $31200

the problem is that the f150 has to add about $1800 in options to equal out the equipment. im not going all into that, since we could post back and forth for weeks on that alone.

suffice it to say, the difference between equally equipped trucks is between $2800 and $3400, depending on the trim level.

we often switch f150 buyers to a titan if invoice is still too much money, since the titan is still even less.
    i was giving the trade value of the ford without the additional options. whatever options you would have gotten on your lariat, it would also have the effect of raising the trade in value...any way you look at it, the same result....quit dancing around the issue and say it man..."nissan titans devaluate harder than any other truck made". once you do, ill admit thats its a pretty darn nice truck other than that.
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    I wouldn't be arguing resale against the Titan just yet. It's a brand new vehicle. Give it a few years and Nissan along with Toyota will be cleaning the domestics clock in trucks just like they are in cars. Domestic market share is slipping like an eel on grease. And arguing a couple grand resale ain't nothing compared to the fact that the F150 came off a major redesign into major rebates. Considering they restyle that thing like every 8 years or so.....they'll be buy-one-get-one-free in a few years.
    ....and monkeys are flying out of my butt. sir, i sincerely hope you didnt actually buy one?...i mean, you are just a nissan salesman like the "dbaur" guy trying to convince the people looking in here for honest advice that the nissan is actually a good choice, right? i can see it now. about 3 years down the road. some popular country music singer on a NISSAN commercial talking about how tough the plastic-clad titan is in comparison to the hemi-equipped offering from freeking hyundai. god help us all.
    Which, would make me an import fan I guess. But so far it looks like they are kicking the domestics butt in cars. If the gas prices go up and stay up GM, along with other domestics are in big trouble since it seems they can't build an efficient 4 cylinder and Ford takes 3 or four years to stop building cars that won't set records for recalls.

It'll be a crying shame if Ford ends up a subsidary of Toyota.
    there is more plastic on the f150 than the titan...lots more.
    ya...but i think ive handled every one of your various excuses for the whole resale issue and you still havent acknowleged my point. if anyone's out there thinking about pulling the trigger on a deal on the nissan, do yourself a favor and talk to anyone who appraises trades at any other make's dealership. ask them to rank the makes from best to worst. they will all rank their own make best, im sure. but i guarantee they will rank the nissan dead last. that should be enough of a warning for anyone. if you take the bait on this one, its like p.t. barnum said......a fool and his money are soon parted.
  • boomer1bboomer1b Member Posts: 316
    The new STS, SRX, and CTS are built at a ALL NEW factory in Michigan. They haven't had any major problems that the titan, armada, and Qs have been plagued with not to mention the high resale value they carry. Suprising for a GM vehicle........

Bauer....i know who you are.... a nissan ford salesperson in a southern state. Back again huh?

Thats cool..We needed some excitement around here!

Reading all these titan, armada, Q problem threads is quite sad. The old "Its a new factory" issue and problems should be expected just won't cut the mustard................
    until this resale value thing came up.
  • akanglakangl Member Posts: 3,281
    I wouldn't write off the resale of the Titan just yet. I managed to get $26k for my SE CC 4x4 with 15k and a few dings/dents. Not bad considering I paid $30k and drove the piss out of it for 5 months. MSRP was $34k. Now compare that to the 04 Explorer I traded in on it.......got $17k trade on a truck that I paid $26k for and had an MSRP of $31k. Had it 5 months/14k miles. Doesn't say much for Ford's resale value eh?

*Disclaimer* I am NOT a Nissan salesperson (used to be many moons ago). Oh and yes I do still have a Titan, just an LE instead of an SE.
    actually, all but dodge dealers agree that dodge and chrysler vehicles have the worst of the domestics, and kia/hyundai overall.

as far as trucks go, the dodge is, by far, the worst. GM and ford are next from the bottom, about equal, nissan slightly over them, with toyota (we all agree) on top.

boomer...how 'bout keepin on the D.L. ok? ;-)

p.s. texas...who is to say you didnt rip your customer's head off and steal the titan by a couple grand...you might actually be a good salesman...you definitely have yourself convinced...lol.
    not to say thats never happened ;) but this isnt an isolated case. look at the other posts about it. this isnt exactly the first time ive dealt with it. i know to some extent, these values are regional. i dont know where you are, and maybe its a little different there. but here, its well known, more or less an "in the know" joke. see a titan pulling up....find something else to do. much like a dodge quad hemi or a jag. no way that guys gonna dig himself outa that hole.
    and one final point. i have yet to see an example of any make's truck, in any configuration, with whatever options you put on it equalling the depriciation that i gave numbers for....

nissan le 4x2 sticker: 32700 before options

2004 with 7000 miles value: 22000 (trade)

thats about a 33% nosedive. both those numbers are real. both are true.

sticker price any other truck you want. option it however you want. pull book on it as an 04 with 7000 miles. ill go ahead and predict the result.
    i understnd where you are coming from, i really do...but take a look at the retail book on that baby...$27350.

think of the transaction prices...invoice is around $29000, with (4 months ago it was $1500) rebates, you come to $27500 brand new...and you can still justify selling a new one for that??? sounds like a toyota or honda to me.

even if you guys got lucky enough to buy one for $22k, i wouldnt put that in the majority. where are you located anyway?
  • iowabigguyiowabigguy Member Posts: 552
    I have a 2003 Dodge Ram Hemi Quad 2 wheel drive. The window price on my truck was almost $32,000. I paid after rebates and discounts $22,300. I was looking at a Titan and my truck was worth $17,000 trade in. Thats $5,300 for driving the truck 22 months, not as bad as you are making out. If you figure from MSRP it is a heck of a drop but who pays MSRP?
  • titanjtitanj Member Posts: 4
    Hi there,

I got a Titan Crew Cab 4x2 (5.5ft bed) and thinking of getting a tonneau cover. Saw the fold-a-cover at http://www.pickupspecialties.com/Foldacover/Fold-a-cover-main.htm. Did anyone purchase one of these? If so, some questions for you!

1) How does it look on the truck? Does it blend well (color and style)? Is it sturdy as the truck?

2) Did you install it yourself? If so, was it easy and any advice on install? (I know the front channel rack needs to be removed it seems)

3) How do you like it overall? Pros? Cons?

4) Did it improve your mpg?

Thanx in advance!
  • draymond2draymond2 Member Posts: 134
    Currently live in Mt.Washington. Born and raised in Old Louisville, went to Manual before it was a good school!!

BTW my neice works at ford could have bought an f150 on xplan. My brother give me a funny look when I showed him my Titan...
  • foureyes3foureyes3 Member Posts: 165
    I do agree Ford does have poor residual value mainly because of all the rebaters. I bought a 2005 le Titan. It is a great truck. I also like the sonar on the back of the truck. That is something you said you wanted on the truck. I have driven the truck a couple of hours up the road for the last few days. I have had a lot of fun and no problems. I think I am going to have put a dvd in it for the kids. I paid 30191 for the truck. I took advantage of the end of the year sales. I think the 2005 will establish Nissan as a viable full size truck maker. Why are Ford customers so upset about the Titan? True foreign auto builders have beaten the domestics with cars and suvs because of the high resale value. I guess the truck market is the only thing domestic builders have left to themselves. It also has to assist gate like Ford. The 2005 is pretty good. I will probably get a cover the bed. The 2005 models are really nice for the money. They also have come with low insurance prices because of all the protection. My uncle is a Ford man. All he talk about was Ford when he saw my truck. I still think Ford makes great trucks. The Titan is more for me than an F150. I would much rather sell my Titan than try to trade it. I believe you would get a lot more money for it that way. But I am not selling mine any time soon.Akangl, You just keep on driving and enjoying your Titan.
    ****Akangl, You just keep on driving and enjoying your Titan.****

I plan on it! So far its been a good truck, much better than the other Titan that I had. Just turned 3500 miles this morning. Its the best in the snow/ice, very impressive truck to drive on bad roads.
    i was refferring to the price after rebate. i was saying that dodge is better than nissan also, as far as depreciation is concerned.
    not upset at the titan, brother. upset at the people that bought it, get unhappy with it, and think theres any way in heck to get rid of it without taking a substancial (more so than usual) beating on it.
    Is when the Nissan Titan quality increases to the level of the rest of Nissan's products. It's easy to pick on the first year Titan resale and quality right now. But the domestics have how many decades of experience in building trucks? Yet..they still build trucks that really can't be compared to the best of the industry when discussing quality. They can only be compared with one another.

In less than 5 years the Nissan will be in a class of two with the Tundra in respect to resale and reliability. That's when the domestics will need to watch over thier shoulders. When the imports start making the variety of trucks that the domestics are capable of producing, there gonna be trouble. Right now they are limited in the number of cab/box compinations and engine options.
  • quadrunner501quadrunner501 Member Posts: 94
    >>>I wouldn't write off the resale of the Titan just yet. I managed to get $26k for my SE CC 4x4 with 15k and a few dings/dents. Not bad considering I paid $30k and drove the piss out of it for 5 months. MSRP was $34k. Now compare that to the 04 Explorer I traded in on it.......got $17k trade on a truck that I paid $26k for and had an MSRP of $31k. Had it 5 months/14k miles. Doesn't say much for Ford's resale value eh?

*Disclaimer* I am NOT a Nissan salesperson (used to be many moons ago). Oh and yes I do still have a Titan, just an LE instead of an SE.

<<<

Could it be you're being a bit disingenuous here? I thought I read over at TitanTalk that you got a buyback on that truck from your dealer because he admitted they were unable to fix some major problems you were having with it? Perhaps you should be elaborating on that before crowing about how good the resale is, when it sounded like you were so frustrated with it you were about ready to walk away from it, which in the end, you seem to have done anyway thanks to a helpful dealer. Am I wrong?
    The whole deal was they agreed to take the truck in trade on a new Titan. That was the solution for them being unable to fix its problems. I was on the understanding they were going to wholesale the truck. That's not what happened, they have the truck sitting on thier lot for sale. I mentioned to them that I thought this was rather dirty and the GM told me they fixed the truck and it was fine now. Of course my next question was Why couldn't you fix the darn thing in the 5 months I had it?? No answer to that. They have 2 other used Titans sitting there, not sure about the story on those.

I'm not the only one who got decent trade in on a new Titan, there are a few 04 owners not only here in Alaska but elsewhere that have traded for 05s and not taken a major bath. I wasn't talking about just my truck. I was offered similar trade in at the Ford dealer on an F-150.

My point was that the resale value on the Titan isn't as bad as ford guy was trying to make it out to be. 'Nuff said.
    I have nothing really against Fords, I'm not thrilled with the Explorers (have owned 3), but the trucks we had were always good (have owned several). I currently drive a Ford Focus and its the best car I've ever had.

My first Titan was a PITA, major time. The second one so far is good. I can say that because in the first 3k of ownership with the first Titan it was in the shop at least 6 or 7 times. The new one has been back once for an oil change and a couple minor things. I'm not saying its perfect, its great in the snow and so far has proved to be better than the first one. We will turn 4k tomorrow with the Titan and no new problems have cropped up. If it continues that way I'll probably keep it.

If you want to see me turn into a troll just get me started on the 6.5L TD that GM put out, been through 2 of those, they make the Titans look like saints!
  • boomer1bboomer1b Member Posts: 316
    My 04 Chevy 2500 is almost a year old and NEVER has seen any warranty defect issues........

I WORK this truck also hauling, heavy towing, and snowplowing.

BTW...One of my buds just bought a new Titan....

2 weeks and no problems. But he did mention the drivers window was sticking................
    The windows have a TSB out for the problem now.......took Nissan a long time to figure it out. Its the switches, easy fix.

As grumpy as I got over the 2 Chevys that we had my next truck will probably be a Dmax.
    The over half it's first 3 months in the shop. I'll never buy another Chevy. Rail dust in the paint, bad rotors, bad rear window seal, and bad throttle body. Happily took a $6500 loss on it 8 months later for a 1994 Lexus.
    I'd buy another Chevy, have owned 5 (1990 Suburban, 1994 K2500 454, 1994 K3500 6.5L TD, 1994 S-10 Blazer, and 1996 K2500 6.5L TD), the 2 diesels were horrible, the Suburban was tired, the Blazer had been in a bad wreck, and the 454 was one of the greatest trucks I ever owned. I foolishly sold the 454, still kicking myself over that and the Suburban.

Although if this new Titan continues to be good it will probably stick around, I enjoy driving it, enjoyed the other one too it just enjoyed the shop more.
  • slaineslaine Member Posts: 2
    when you say 7000 lb what exactly do you mean? GVWR, or what you think you were towing? I ask as I have a 26ft TT (7000 gvwr) and I am trying to decide between a 2500HD or a Titan, If I go with the Titan will I be able to tow into the mountains or will it not have enough oomph? (I am considering a diesel just to err on the safe side - or is that overly cautious?
  • quadrunner501quadrunner501 Member Posts: 94
    Slaine, I responded in the other topic, but didn't really answer your question. My $0.02 is that there is plenty of power, but will it last? The Titan has a dinky little Dana 44 pumpkin out back, and is already a problem spot on a number of Titans with NO towing to account for. Nissan has modified the diff cover with finned louvers for better cooling, and gone to a synthetic rear end lube.

The other problem for a 7000 lb travel trailer is tongue weight on the hitch. A weight distributing hitch is a forgone necessity, and the Titan payload (passengers and cargo) is only about 1500 lbs, compared to a 2500HD with about 4000 lbs, plus floating truck axles, and you should start getting the idea it's not just about having enough power to pull it, (which Titan does), but chassis and braking is equally important or more so for hauling in safety and comfort.

The Titan is a lot more fun to drive normally, but there's no joy in squished rear leaf springs, sagging rear end, and weak brakes which the Titan is already famous for.

With those observations, expect the Titan faithful to jump in with anecdotes about towing and hauling, but my $0.02 is that a 5000 lb (dry weight) travel trailer would be about right, and about the limit I would want for my Titan.
    Yup, what he said. While we did tow a 7,000 lb travel trailer with it and it did fine, its not something I would do long term. The truck has plenty of power, handled great, BUT its still a half ton with all the half ton limitations.

Thus the reason we went with a 2700 lb gvwr popup camper, tows great, I can back it up (I'm trailer backing challenged), and the Titan still manages 17-18 mpg.

For heavy towing we have a 99 Ram 3500 4x4 V10 dually.......will tow just about anything, but needs its own gas station attached too.
    the only trouble with going to a HD or SD truck is the fact that there will be in excess of $10k difference in price. i can see where people want a 1/2 ton for that simple reason.

BTW...dana-44 isnt THAT dinky...lol.

;-)
    I don't think its a $10k diff, depends on what you want. I can buy an 05 F-250 CC shortbed diesel XL trim for right around what the MSRP of my Titan was. Sure its a base model compared to a fully loaded model, but at this point I think I'd rather have the Ford.

We are at 2 weeks and no truck, parts are still 4 weeks out.
    apples-to-apples, jolie...lol.
    Right, then you get the difference, however, you didn't specify that........lol.

I got my truck back today, figured I'd just take it home, our Dodge went in the shop today and will be gone for several days. We needed the Titan back. Runs like an old Chevy right now, but seems ok other than that. I forgot how much fun that truck is to drive!

We are number 6 on the list for the part when its released.
  • adriciuadriciu Member Posts: 4
    I needed today repairs to my truck (Nissan Titan) which is covered under warranty. I paid a visit to the dealer about three weeks ago so they were able to check for the necessary parts. Today, at the repair appointment date they refuse to give me a rental car so I can take care of my businesses while the car was repaired. As the rental car is covered under the Protection Plus plan I have with Nissan I considered what happened today as a breach of contract. As I wasn't able to stay all day long the repairs were not done. One of them is the left (driver side) outside mirror which was not properly glued to the support from the moment I bought the car - I still have the "I Owe You" paper from the dealership were I bought the car from. The other problem is a soft brake pedal at certain moments during the driving: I have to push the pedal to the floor in order the have some braking. Anybody has any suggestions what to do next.

Also, of importance is the fact that I live 40 miles from the dealership and I don't have the time to go on and on and play games with these guys.

As a question, can a normal body and mechanic shop take care of the repairs under warranty?

Thank you everybody for the input