Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Titan

Comments

• stevenlgtsstevenlgts Member Posts: 11
    Alaska1,
    I made the RPM vs. speed calculations with an online services. I would suspect that your speedo is accurate and there must be something wrong with my calculations. But the bottom line is that gas mileage will suffer more with the Big Tow package vs without the Big Tow package due to the higher rearend gears. So, my advice is not to get the Big Tow package if you are concerned about mileage and you are not intending to tow over 7400 lbs.
    Steve
  • akanglakangl Member Posts: 3,281
    What's that?? LOL Just returned from a 1000 mile round trip towing our travel trailer, averaged just under 10 mpg. Not too bad towing a trailer that is 26' 6" long and weighs in around 6k lbs. The truck was flawless other than sucking gas at an alarming rate.......lol.

Empty I seem to hang in the 15-16 mpg range with both city, hwy, and mountain driving. Best tank was 19.6 mpg (all hwy), worst tank was 8.9 mpg (all towing over the mountains).

I have a 2004 LE CC 4x4 with Big Tow, just turned 14,000 miles this morning.
  • 4wheels44wheels4 Member Posts: 2
    Hi everyone
    I will be in need of a vehicle this year, and I am considering the titan. This forum has been quite informative--thanks. I see that a FFV Titan is available according to edmunds. My local dealer really couldn't give me any info. The window stickers on the trucks they had on the lot said in smaller print it was an alternative fuel vehicle, but no big letters at the top with the truck model saying FFV. Has anyone got a FFV and used the E85 or other fuels? My understanding is that one takes a hit on mpg with E85. So maybe other than enviro friendly, the cost factor may be a wash.
  • alaska1alaska1 Member Posts: 5
    Food for thought. Just prior to the '05 CC SE 4x4, I had an '04 XE 4x4 KC. The '04 did not have "off road" or "big tow" and the tires and wheels (17" steel) were much smaller than the '05 18". Could the Big tow package with the bigger wheels net the same highway speed/rpm as the trucks with the 17" and higher ratio? I mean would the diameter of the 18" tire offset the lower gear ratio? In other words: 17' tires x 2.94 ratio = 18" tires x 3.36.

Maybe that's why they use only one mpg (14/19) for all trucks. Like I said...just thinking about it. :confuse:
  • jerrywimerjerrywimer Member Posts: 588
    It's also possible (likely, even) that the overall outer diameter of both the 17" wheel / tire combo and the 18" wheel / tire combo come out close enough to the same to be effectively the same. That negates the tire size issue on gearing, but doesn't address the effect of the differences in tire / wheel weight - larger wheels normally have more mass resulting in more work getting up to speed or slowing back down (aka worse fuel efficiency, but maybe only a bit). This is also why most recommend upgrading the brakes when going to larger wheels and tires.
  • savytskyysavytskyy Member Posts: 1
    Hello everybody, can somebody help me. We have just Titan, and there is a conrol panel with tv and dvd player. The pronlem is that i cant encrease the volume on it, just decrease, which is funny. Can Somebody help me plz:)))
  • rrtitanrrtitan Member Posts: 6
    Here are the wheel options:
    4x2 XE
    17" x 7.5" Steel wheels
    P245/75R17 Tires

4x4 with Off Road
    17" x 7.5" Seven-spoke aluminum-alloy wheels
    P285/70R17 B.F. Goodrich® Rugged Trail® tires with
    raised outlined white lettering

4x2 and 4x4 SE and LE
    18" x 8.0" Six-spoke aluminum-alloy wheels
    P265/70R18 Tires with raised outlined white lettering

4x2's with nothing else have a 2.94 ratio similar to a four-speed
    automatic 3.73 ratio

4x4's or 4x2's with Big Tow have a 3.36:1 ratio similar to a four-speed
    automatic 4.10:1 ratio

As you can see, the Off Road is the one that has a 1in. smaller rim and a 2in. bigger tire. This means the wheel size is 1in. bigger than the standard 4x4 and 4x2 SE and LE.

Hope this helps with the accuracy of the ratio police. :P :shades:
  • mikehnmikehn Member Posts: 1
    Will Nissan be offering the "employee discount" on the Titans?
  • geo9geo9 Member Posts: 735
    Why bother with a new one........A used one can be bought for a VERY
    low price according to the car guys over at the Smart Shopper threads.
  • waralex66waralex66 Member Posts: 1
    yes they will offer the employee discount to everyone.............all of the car dealers are starting the discounts, rebates, and more. GM was starting going broke,but the sale boosted sales greatly(by 46%) this month only.........now all of the other dealers are going to try it as well
  • menmyjpmenmyjp Member Posts: 19
    I'm looking at a SE 4x4 KC with big tow and another identical but without big tow...I have read the post and appreciate all of the input...But, am still a bit confused on just how much of a difference it is concerning MPG..I am aware of the gear ratio difference and the basis behind it...But, my quotes are only $450 different and it would cost (ballpark) of $250 to get a hitch put on the truck without...So basically it comes down to MPG...does anyone have any real numbers from the Big Tow vs. Without-- Thanks in advance for any advice-
  • menmyjpmenmyjp Member Posts: 19
    Did you find that your ride quality was sacrificed with the daystar lift?? Did you need to get an alignment after? Thanks in advance
  • titan4rvtitan4rv Member Posts: 5
    I have a new 2005 Titan LE Crew Cab and am looking for a premium quality cap. I have fitted the Nissan accessory sliding cargo trays which are excellent.

My wife and I are full time RVers and are presently located a considerable distance from major centers so would like to have a short list of suitable caps before travelling to look at them. The location of dealers is not a concern as our travelling makes it unlikely that we would see the selling dealer again.

I have looked at a Leer XQ installed on a King Cab and the attachment system is bolts through inward extensions on the cap flange, front and rear, threaded into an aluminum fitting in the Utili-track. This Leer "J Bolt" method is not suitable as the flange extensions would restrict the forward travel of the upper cargo tray to about 8 or 9 inches from the front of the bed, which is not acceptable. I will accept 3 or 4 inched from the front, but not more.

I see that A.R.E. Z series uses clamps that fit into the front and rear ends of the Utili-track, which would be acceptable. If there are other comparable quality caps with similar attachment system, or better yet, one which uses a clamp in the gap between the front end of the rail track and the front of the bed, I would appreciate the details.

Any and all suggestions welcome!
  • 4wheels44wheels4 Member Posts: 2
    Just to answer my own question....the salesmen don't really know anything. I went back and all the window stickers suggest alternative fuel vehicle (E85). My three year old had popped open the gas filler door so I took a look, and sure enough every titan on the lot said unleaded OR E85 on the filler door. Thats here in the midwest. and I might add, those titans have been on the lot quite awhile.
  • rharden1rharden1 Member Posts: 1
    Sir, in reading the messages on the Titans you seem to be very knowledgable on them. I have a 2004 CC 4X4 LE and I want the Rancho RS5000 shocks. The problem is, I cannot find the front shocks anywhere. The rears are readily available online, but no fronts. The dealer advises they can only order OE (which is what I have) and not the Ranchos, which come on the off road packages. Have spent many hours on the net and called every tire and parts retailer in my area, no luck. Do you have any advise? Thanks

:confuse:
  • mondomondo Member Posts: 6
    I would like to add mine also if you don't mind, I have had the same problem, first brake problem was at three thousand miles, next was at ten thousand miles, I am currently at eighteen thousand I so far no problems.

Also my differential failed twice allready, I've had two different 2005 rear axles....
  • warrantwarrant Member Posts: 6
    The owner's manual states that it inhibits auto shifting to 5-hi gear.
  • boudreaux1boudreaux1 Member Posts: 1
    obyone - I'm looking at getting the K&N cool air intake, or someother...so all the hype about increase is marketing?

• obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    That sir, is my opinion. Having installed the K&N FIPK in two trucks, I showed no gains in mpg. I had also installed the airaid intake in another previous vehicle with no gains in mpg. It seems to always come back to your driving habits as the greatest influence on your mpg.

Did I mention this other doodad that you install in your intake tube which is suppose to modify the airflow for better mileage? Well that one didn't work either. Course the name slips by me as I try to forget some of my more obvious mistakes ;)
  • crosley4crosley4 Member Posts: 295
    I added an aftermarket air filter & intake tube along with a cat back custom exhaust system. Zero gain in mileage till I hooked onto my car trailer. Mileage went from low 12 MPG to high 13's , got low 14 mpg a couple of times with the trailer hooked up.

Daily mileage never changed from the low 17's in my mixed city / freeway I drive during the week
  • wflagatorwflagator Member Posts: 1
    2004 CC SE 4WD with big tow is getting about 12-13 MPG mixed city andd hwy driving. What are others getting? Love the trukc but hate the mileage!
  • pithhelmetpithhelmet Member Posts: 4
    Hi Everyone -

I finally found a station here in town that has the E85 fuel.

Question is, may i use the E85 in my truck ('04 CC 2x4)

I have almost 70,000 miles on the engine.

I have had better performance with the lower grade fuel (88 to 89 octane)
    so i don't know what the E85 will do to the engine.

thanks
    tony
  • caltitan1caltitan1 Member Posts: 1
    I ordered the bed divider for my '05 Titan from the dealer and installed it about two weeks ago. It is very handy and the large knobs make adjusting it quite easy. The only complaint that I have is that it rattles constantly as I drive. I have made sure that all of the assembly screws are tight as are the locking knobs in the track. My only solution has been to slip two wooden wedges between the truck bed and the divider. This works for a few days, then they slip out and the rattle begins again. has anyone else had this problem and if so, how did you fix it?
  • george230george230 Member Posts: 1
    hI IM LOOKING TO BUY A 2WD TITAN BUT I HAVE HILLS WHERE I LIVE I WAS WOUNDERING IF ANYBODY KNOWS HOW THEY DO IN THE SNOW
  • mark2550mark2550 Member Posts: 3
    I have been looking at trucks and trying to decide which one if any to purchase, so for the owner's of the 4x4 titan's would you buy the same truck all over again or would you wait until the problems and quality issues were corrected???

I test drove a few trucks but after reading the titan and ford post's from owner's many having the same issue's I'm just thinking it might be better to wait, at these prices these problems should be corrected before they hit the showrooms this is just my honest opinion
    I have been looking at trucks and trying to decide which one if any to purchase, so for the owner's of the 4x4 titan's would you buy the same truck all over again or would you wait until the problems and quality issues were corrected???

I would ABSOLUTELY buy my truck all over again. Issues aside its an AWESOME truck!!!! Mine is a 2004 Titan LE CC 4x4 with big tow pkg and VDC. She was born 8/24/04. Yes, my truck has had LOTS of issues, but now that she is closing in on 20k miles she seems to be settling down. We use my Titan to pull a 24 foot travel trailer and various (including an 8000 lbs firewood trailer) trailers, she does GREAT!!!! I'd say go for it, just know that you may have some quirks to work out.
  • titanamtitanam Member Posts: 3
    i'll 2nd that akangl,mine's an 05 4x4 kc,pretty basic but it's the best driving truck i've ever owned,don't yet know about the snow til this winter but it should be fine.you never know how long these veh.prices are gonna stay this way and nissan is now aware of the problems so i'm sure that every edition is gonna be more refined.everyone knows that if you buy the 1st of a new series it's gonna take a bit to get all the bugs worked out,just depends if you wanna wait.i think overall they did their homework and i'm satisfied with mine.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Jolie, don't let the others hear you say you'd buy ANY vehicle again... you know they take bets ;)

kcram - Pickups Host
    Jolie, don't let the others hear you say you'd buy ANY vehicle again... you know they take bets

LOL, you do have a point there. I've been behaving and haven't bought a new vehicle in over 10 months. No new vehicles in the works either.........I think there's talk of revoking my CCBA membership. ;)
  • elbocenvarielbocenvari Member Posts: 3
    There is going to be a informal GTG of Titan'son October 1st for you DFW area Titan owners,
    This will be at North Park Lake, in Irving off of 635 and BeltLine at 11:30am until ?
    -------------

Come out, Chat about Armada's, Titan's and QX56's, enjoy some grilling, See other's Cool Mods or show off yours, Have a good time.

We will followup with an optional mini cruise to a Sonic

You can get more info over at TitanTalk.com and look in the Texas Region Threads,
    or on ClubTitan.org and look in Get Together Section, or on The Clubarmada.com website.

Hope to See Ya There
  • jyoungjyoung Member Posts: 1
    I had a question about all of the Leveling kits. The Daystar is the poly spacer and the TopGunz is a metal spacer like the Truxx. I have read in a couple of places that the Daystar has too be installed by compressing the strut and the Topgunz does not and might be better on the ride and handling. What is the overall opinion?
  • miatamommamiatamomma Member Posts: 1
    We have just purchased a used 1996 Nissan XE pickup truck which came without the owners manual. I am having difficulty finding one. Does anyone know of a source for old owners manuals?

Miata Momma
  • buster11buster11 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1991 nissan pickup, I sometime can hear a strange noise after it is turned off coming from somewhere in the middle of the truck. Could this be the transmission or the rear end?
  • dirkworkdirkwork Member Posts: 210
    >I have a 1991 nissan pickup, I sometime can hear a strange noise after it is >turned off coming from somewhere in the middle of the truck. Could this be the
    > transmission or the rear end?

Perhaps you ran over an animal and parked on top of it? Or maybe you forgot to turn off the radio? Did your passenger pass gas? Seriously, besides the fact you are on the wrong discussion group (The truck you have can't be a Titan) you didn't give much info. FYI, if the noise is after the engine is off and its parked, slide under the truck and look but be careful to not touch anything hot.
  • time5time5 Member Posts: 2
    I was about to order fog lights for my '05 SE Titan 4x2 with no Auto function on the headlights, when I noticed the description said they would fit the 04 SE, and the 05 SE 4x4... but no mention of the 05 SE 4x2. This of course got me wondering if they would fit my setup.
    Does anyone know if there is a reason for excluding my setup? I spoke with parts guys and one service guy from 3 different dealers, and all agreed there might be a reason it was omitted, but they couldn't tell me what the difference was or whether I could get by with it... One guy said "We can put in a toggle switch for ya"...
    Yeah, right...
    Any help would be appreciated, as I was told by the dealer that I could return them as long as I didn't open the box... Geez... Tough to tell if they work or not without installing them. Last I checked that meant taking them out of the box...

• obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    The 05 SE 4x2 does not have the factory wiring installed for the fog lights. All the other models have the wiring installed making it plug and play.
  • time5time5 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the the reply obyone. I checked underneath, and based on other pictures I've seen in instructions etc., the wiring harness is there...
  • 04titan04titan Member Posts: 2
    Hi everyone. I read an article on the inside line here that there is an after-market package called the "No Fear Extreme Package" that can be put on the Titan. The artickle mentions it includes, a lift, etc, but it doesn't say who sells it or anything. I checked all over online and can't find anything related to it and I've checked with a couple dealerships in my area and they don't seem to know what I"m talking about. My Titan already has the procomp 6" lift on it with the banks monster exhaust. Adding the No Fear emblems and new gauge cluster would finish it off nicely. Just wanted to see if any of you might know where I can get the No Fear Extrement Package. Thanks.
  • 04titan04titan Member Posts: 2
    I'm getting about 11-12 mpg, but mine has the procomp lift and 35 inch tires. What really helped out my milage was the banks monster exhaust. It makes the truck breathe so much better. It decreased back pressure by 92%. I bet I would get a little better milage if I didn't step on it as much as I do. The exhaust sounds like no other though!!! ;)
  • eerboeeerboe Member Posts: 1
    I wanted to let people know that I am extremely happy with my 05 Titan. I have had a F-150 and a Silverado prior to this Titan, so I have experienced the 'American' trucks. I now have 6K miles on my Titan and can't be more pleased with the solidness of the truck. Every creature comfort was well-thought out. The engineering that went into this truck was supurb.

If your Ford is rusting out on you, or your Chevy transmission is giving you problems, go take a look at the Titan. You won't be dissapointed. :)
  • bsimcoxbsimcox Member Posts: 4
    eBay tends to be a good source for owners manuals.
  • highrollerhighroller Member Posts: 351
    Hi im looking into buying a pickup truck. Can someone tell me if Titan is the best all-around and does anyone know their safety ratings?

Highroller
  • miata007miata007 Member Posts: 129
    You can probably get a free online owner's manual at an nissan site. Do a search for Nissan and owner's manual. The site from Nissan is the one. I found my 97 Q45 there.
    Good luck!

• soonerlgssoonerlgs Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know how to solve my problem? I have a 2004 SE Crew with the P265/70R18 tires. I have just over 9400 miles and have 2 replacement sets of tires (the Goodyear dealer said that they were out of round). I am still have problems keeping them balanced. The current set of tires has about 3500 miles and they have been balances twice. Neither the Goodyear or Nissan dealer can explain the problem. They just keep blaming the other!! Any suggestions would help. Do I just have a lemon?">
    If your tires are Goodyear SR-A, they were rated as very poor by many people. The ratings for the tires can be viewed at www.tirerack.com , many people would trade these out because they wear out quickly. The tires also have other poor results such as handling, traction, etc. I would switch mine to Michelin Cross Terrain SUV tires (the only other better tires you can buy for the P265/70R18 tires).

High :)
  • armando78armando78 Member Posts: 10
    just like any other truck would. Nothing special though, you deffinently have to be in four high to get in some snow.
  • johnonesixjohnonesix Member Posts: 5
    I am looking for a pickup to tow a Hurricane deck boat. I have looked and test drove the Toyota Tacoma, Nissan Frontier and the Nissan Titan so far. I like the Titan but I remember the disaster (yes I am that old) of the aluminum block engines of the 1970s, especially the chevette. The aluminum blocks actually cracked. Has anyone information concerning the reliability of the aluminum block engine in the Titan?
  • dirkworkdirkwork Member Posts: 210
    Don't worry about the block, many newer vehicles are made with aluminum blocks - albeit with cast iron cylinder liners pressed in. Corvette, Viper, the new GM v8's, the new GM I-5 and I-6, Nissan's V6, etc etc. all have aluminum blocks. The one you should remember was the Vega, its motor had aluminum bores and the motors would wear out pretty fast. The Chevette came with a few different motors (even a deisel) but the I-4 cast iron job was in most of 'em. My old gilfriend had one, it was not a particularly good car but did the job, and the motor was decent. I doubt anyone cried when they sold their Chevette, assuming they were able to sell it!
  • johnonesixjohnonesix Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the update. I have narrowed my choices to the Titan, Tacoma, Tundra and the F150. Just don't know if the Tacoma V6 can handle towing a boat?
    In my opinion I would go with the Titan or the F150. No Tacoma and no Tundra. Just the two i recommended. Pick one of the two whichever gives you a better deal. If you want torque and horsepower for hauling/towing go with Titan. If you want a hard, good chasis/body go with the F150.
    For a better comparison of the four vehicles that you just described, you can compare/contrast at http://www.automotive.com/2005/101/nissan/titan/base-crew-cab-pickup/314/compare/index.htm- l?strTrim1=|_PK_WC|RWD|V8&strYear2=2005&strMake2=Nissan|59&strModel2=Titan|1425&strTrim2=;- _PK_XC;RWD;V8|1;29;5;15&strYear3=2006&strMake3=Honda|32&strModel3=Ridgeline|1468&strTrim3=- RTL;_PK_WC;4WD;V6|1132;25;2;14

High :)