Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Titan

Comments

• obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    I was wondering if anyone else noticed that too...about Bob that is....
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    From what I've seen, it will be a welcome addition to this market segment. I'm also excited about the all-new F-150. I think both Nissan and Ford have done excellent jobs with these new models.

Bob
  • jaguar0027jaguar0027 Member Posts: 387
    Im glad that someone else noticed too? :)

Bob,

I agree, but let's see how they perform in the long run. I, being a skeptic, am a little hesitant about passing judgement on a brand new vehicle, and a new redesign of the Ford.

As they say, time will tell.
    I saw both the Titan and the all-new F-150 today at the Baltimore Auto Show. Both are very impressive in the flesh. I really liked the bed features of the Titan: sprayed in bed liner, HD adjustable side and floor tie-downs.

Bob
  • davantdavant Member Posts: 294
    Bob,

How did the Titan drive, like the best truck ever, LOL?

Guess you'll just have to wait with everything crossed like the rest of us.

Cheers.
    Bob,

Lots of nice photos, navigating around you can see ever car you guys shot. I bet you've already plopped down a deposit at the Nissan dealer.

Hey, being dyslexic, (did you know it strikes 10 out of every 1 people?) I noticed Nissan backwards is N-[non-permissible content removed]-in, still buying one, wink?
    << I bet you've already plopped down a deposit at the Nissan dealer. >>

While I like the Nissan a lot, I'm not in the market (yet) for a full-size pickup. Regardless, I still like the vehicle a lot. I think Nissan will have long lines waiting to buy this pickup, just like Honda had when the Pilot first came out.

Bob
    Bob,

I agree, it is probably a fine truck but I don't need one now. Looking over the features I feel they had Ford directly in their sights but Nissan appears to have done it one better. I like cutting edge, I'm just not as passionate about it as you are. I am jealous of being back in my birthplace of Ballmer...until I saw the weather report. It was mid-60's in our part of FL today, windows are down!
    I get passionate about any vehicle that is well done, even if I'm not in the market for. Actually, I spend very little time over in the pickup forums. I used to spend a lot of time here, but got turned off by all the name-calling and insults that seem to pervade some of these topics (or at least the ones I used to visit). So, as a result, I only "visit" when I see something really exciting, and worth commenting on. Most of my time is spent over in the Subaru area, as I am one of the Edmunds "Subaru Crew" leaders.

Where abouts in "Ballmer" did you live in? I came to Baltimore in the mid 1960s to go to college. I now live about 20 miles west of Baltimore, in the western part of Howard County.

Bob
    Bob,

Forgive me other readers as this departs from the post.

Subaru? Not insulting but they aren't really mainstream, at least down here. Up north and in Colo the Forrester seemed to be as common as a civic, and for good reason, reliable, versatile, and great in bad traction situations, a little too quirky for my tastes.

Since this is a Nissan board (Titan, but taking a time out) I have to know your thoughts on the Murano. Is it a feeble attempt at a crossover sport or what the newest generation sees as their family wagon successor?

I was born in Ball'mer city in '60 but grew up in the burbs, Pikesville, Reisterstown, moved to Frederick area in '72. I remember floating raw bar/barges where the Light Street pavillion thingies are now. I WAS a Colts fan, have my personalized autographed Brooks Robinson baseball, and remember the riots even though I was still a punk. Eventually I migrated to Gaithersburg (actually it migrated to me, LOL). I came down here because there was work and it's too ^%*#$&%$# cold up there. MD is pretty, I miss fishing Calvert Cliffs too, (why does my fish have 3 eyes?), LOL. Keep the passionate reviews flowing.

Davester
    << Subaru? Not insulting but they aren't really mainstream, at least down here. Up north and in Colorado the Forester seemed to be as common as a civic, and for good reason, reliable, versatile, and great in bad traction situations, a little too quirky for my tastes. >>

Mainstram they're not, which is one of the reasons I love them. AWD, and their fairly recent discovery of performance is the other. I'll never buy another vehicle, or car at least, that's not AWD. I really am looking forward to the new 2.5L turbo Forester which will be introduced in about 14 hours (from the time of this posting) at the Chicago auto show.

<< Since this is a Nissan board (Titan, but taking a time out) I have to know your thoughts on the Murano. Is it a feeble attempt at a crossover sport or what the newest generation sees as their family wagon successor? >>

I drove a Murano a couple of weeks ago. I was very curious about the CVT tranny. Frankly I was very impressed with the vehicle. It's quite powerful, and is one of the sportiest (in terms of handling) SUVs that I've driven.

It's not perfect. There is a very bad blind spot created by the rear quarter window, when you're looking over your right shoulder, while backing. That's clearly a concession to design. The new Infiniti FX45 has an even worse blind spot. I sat in one at the Baltimore car show. I also wonder how the CVT will hold up in the long run, especially if you do any towing. I also prefer the full-time AWD that Subaru offers, rather than the on-demand AWD that the Murano offers.

Bob
    I guess, to keep this topic alive, some "topic drifting" can be allowed, as there is only so much you can say about the Titan until it arrives.

The Crew cab reportedly will be shown in April at the NY Auto show&#151;unless Nissan surprises us at the Chicago auto show. There also will be an SUV derived off this platform. I've heard it will have an IRS, like the new Expedition. I've also heard it may(?) be the next Pathfinder, and that it be actually be on sale before the pickup!

Bob
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    Ill keep my eyes open at the chicago autoshow for any surprises. Ill be there next monday (2-17-03)
    just showed a Tundra Double Cab at Chicago. Check the Edmunds coverage of the Chicago show. The link is on the Edmunds Home Page.

Bob
    Got the new issue of AutoWeek in the mail today. On the cover is a headline saying the "new Nissan full-size SUV uncovered."

So I go inside looking for this article&#151;and can't find a thing! Nothing. Nada. Zip. Zilch...

Somebody dropped the ball...

Bob
    http://www.autonews.com/news.cms?newsId=4561

The next Pathfinder will be full-size, and will be built off the Titan platform. A couple of reports have mentioned that it will have an IRS, like the new Expedition. There is no mention of that here, however. The sketch looks great, IMO.

It will be introduced at the NY auto show this spring.

Bob
    Bob,

I got my Autoweek too. There are 13 color pages of the full size Nissan SUV inside & out to include a 4-fold centerfold, wowee! What a shame you're missing it hero. I guess your postman is also excited about it, check your page numbers, you'll see what I mean.

NOT! I could almost hear the page scrambling from here. I hope Nissan makes it available this year.
    Don't tease me like that. I might have a coronary! ;)

Bob
  • jaguar0027jaguar0027 Member Posts: 387
    Still just a little excited huh? You may wanna take a chill, before you do have a coronary!

LOL, just kidding!
  • jeff186jeff186 Member Posts: 95
    It seems Nissan listed pre-intro pricing for the Titan on its website, according to autoweek. The MSRP info is down now but it supposed to be put back up soon.
  • yanks7533yanks7533 Member Posts: 4
    another sweet nissan...went to auto show today and holy crap its amzing and stylish and powerful and useful

they handed out the biggest poster i have ever seen at the car show today for thsi truck
    is really becoming a master of platform sharing. This link says that the Titan platform will be used worldwide in future trucks, and will be scaled down a bit for the future Frontier and Xterra.

http://www.autonews.com/article.cms?articleId=43257

Bob
  • kcflyerkcflyer Member Posts: 78
    I don't see the handy built in storage compartment in the pictures of the crew cab. Maybe there wasn't room with the shortened bed. That's a shame, it is a nice feature. Although I hate to burst Nissan's bubble, this is not an innovation. My 73 Ford F-250 Camper Special was one of many with a lock able built in tool box built into the side of the bed. It really comes in handy.
  • caedward1caedward1 Member Posts: 2
    Ask Al Gore! :)
    I guess I should have seen that coming. I'm sure he will be pleased that his name still appears somewhere. BTW. Nissan announced today a takeover of sorts of the nissan diesel corp. They plan to produce 2 ton trucks by 2006 for the Japan market to meet the new emission standards for diesels. Can't help speculating that they might also be looking for derivative engine technology for a diesel powered titan and or armada. Just in case the folks at Nissan are following this board, how about 4 wheel steering?
  • jq3jq3 Member Posts: 52
    Currently, I own a Tundra Limited 4x4 and WAS considering a new Titan. I went to the Nissan site and configured a Titan similar to my Tundra. The price topped out at almost $38K!!! The crew cab topped out at over $40K!!! For crying out loud my Tundra MSRP'ed at $33700 and it's loaded!

The Titan is defintely a nice truck, but $5-$7K more than my Tundra... I don't think so! Yet it is bigger with a more powerful engine, but so is the F-150 and I can get a comparable F-150 for about what I paid for my Tundra, maybe a little cheaper.

Sorry Nissan, but you're way too proud of your truck for me.
    Is it fair to compare prices against the current (smaller) toyota. I have not seen pricing for the new double cab which is much bigger and would be a more equitable comparison. I hope the toyota is priced lower but I'm not holding my breath. I can't wait to test drive and compare the two new crew cabs back to back.
  • crosley4crosley4 Member Posts: 295
    the Titan does seem a bit high priced.

The nissan web site likes to make it known that the prices, colors etc are not set in stone yet...I would think they have a good idea by now on how the truck will be priced and options availible.

The crew cab LE I optioned up was over 35k for 4x2 truck on thier site.

I am interested in looking at the Nissan and the new design Ford F-150 too.
  • gvoigtgvoigt Member Posts: 63
    I was considering coverting the lease on my '00 Sierra to a purchase, to take advantage of the low interest rates. I am a little over half way through my lease and I have the rig tricked out for my work needs and satisfied with the performance. I had planned on turning it back in and getting a 2500HD CC but given the changes and configuation limits I am going to have to take a serious peek at the Titan. I looked over the new F-150 on their website, but the only way to get a CC is to get a Supercrew...which is okay with one exception...the bed doesn't allow for the installation of the three tool boxes I have on my Sierra. I'd like to not have to replace them or rework my setup. I use my truck for a work vehicle, and it being a 1/2 ton SB Ext Cab 4x4 is perfect. I can haul 90% of what I need to in the bed, and tow what I can't. The ext cab allows me to transport others in relative comfort, not to mention the German Shepard! So a peek and a test drive is in order just to keep things in perspective.
    Got a Titan pre product brochure in the mail today. To say the least it is big, as is the cover letter that accompanied it. Still no hard facts and specifics, but a nice brochure anyway.
  • bowke28bowke28 Member Posts: 2,185
    for those of you who dont know me, i sell nissans. they recently had sales training for sales managers. upon returning, all they really had to say was "we're in the truck business, gentlemen!" more HP and torque at lower RPM than a dodge hemi. more room and towing capacity than a toyota tundra. these are the 2 main targets of the titan. they dont care much about ford and GM trucks, as they hold so much of the market already. i do, however, have the advantage of having nissan AND ford in my dealership, so for the 2004 model year, ill have the best 2 trucks on the market to sell! woohoo!!!
    Since Nissan is not releasing the Titan till december 2003 they will be running catch up to the big 3 on the 04 trucks.

I have read the Crew cab will not be avilible till early 2004.
  • joehoejoehoe Member Posts: 37
    Preliminary pricing for the Titan is a little steep in comparison...

It sounds like a real nice design - but for $35K you can add alot of options to the Ram.

Also Dodge has announced a refresh now for '05 - possibly to narrow the gap in torque or towing?
    not for powertrain. for styling. people just dont like the wide, gaping pie hole of the thing. i think they are too close to the late 80's trucks in styling. thats what hurt them then. sales have plummeted since the new front end was introduced. the titan pricing is adequate. they dont offer a regular cab, and the base model still has more features than the base F150 XLT for the same price. (around $27k). dodge buyers are the least loyal owners in the truck market. as soon as they see a worthy alternative, they will jump ship. when the 94 ram came out, a bunch of ford and chevy buyers went to dodge. after 1 truck, most returned to ford or chevy. it was just a new alternative at the time. if dodge had made a quality product, they may have atayed. nissan DOES make quality products. ever heard the phrase "once you go ..., youll always be fightin"? (something like that...lol)
    I have been loyal to Dodge since the late '70s but it has been become almost foolish to remain so these days - especially for such a large investment.

Quality and Performance are the most important factors - this latest invasion into the full-size trucks looks like a good one.

And I won't feel as guilty driving a Titan as I would even "visiting" a Ford or GM dealer.

These won't hit the lots until December, is that correct?

Or can you place an order prior to that?
    you can place an order anytime you want. we just dont know what the pricing will be exactly. if you place an order, you will have to sign a waiver for pricing to accept whatever the sticker says.
    Nobody actually pays sticker price anymore, do they?

I'm willing to pay invoice price, +/- a few %

Our local "price club" (Costco) has a special deal for car purchases - I'm not sure exactly what the details are...

Anyone have any experience with these types of sales?
    there are still fools out there that pay sticker or more for something they "have to have" :)
  • hannerhanhannerhan Member Posts: 18
    I just priced out a 4x4 crew cab on both the new F-150, and the Titan. With the options I want, the Ford ends up at about $36,500 and the Titan at $35,500. Pretty steep for both, but I would say Nissan is staying competitive with their target competition. Those will be hands down the best 2 trucks on the market for at least 2 years, IMO. The problem is, I'm really not looking forward to waiting until NEXT YEAR for the Titan. Nissan may lose a sale if I can't keep my wallet in my pants...
  • importfan14importfan14 Member Posts: 18
    in December, so, just four months from now, it will be here, just you wait!
  • renonevadarenonevada Member Posts: 69
    On whether the Titan is everything the hype is creating among enthusiasts. I have been driving a Nissan PUp for 13 years that I bought new. Totally reliable. A LOT of miles.

I am interested in the Titan as a replacement so I went to the website to configure a 2WD King Cab. I was highly disappointed to discover that the option, "Locking Rear Differential" cannot be added in 2WD. Therefore, a normal $280 option on other 2WD trucks turned out to be a $5,500 upgrade to 4WD with extras I didn't want. I contacted Nissan about this, and I have yet to get a response. Our marriage is not starting out so good. What do you think, bowke28 ?
    as to what i think, id have to know the reason to have the locking diff. first. different people need it for different reasons. if its for off-roading, farming, etc...then go with the ford. nissan is not targeting ford and chevy on these. just toyota and dodge. if you want a "work" truck, then the titan isnt your animal. toyota doesnt make a true "work truck", and dodge's owners are the most disloyal on earth, hence the targeting of the two. it was stated early on that nissan is not making the titan for the same reasons that ford and chevy do. keep in mind that most 2WD drivers are just on-road drivers, or tow alot. if your a farmer or a sportsman, then 4x4 is your answer, no matter what you buy.

additional note: the specs on the titan say that towing is the same in 2WD or 4WD, and only 200 lbs different from king cab to crew cab. all over 9300 lbs.

as for sticker price, many, MANY people pay sticker price for new products, especially imports. i sold hondas for almost 2 years, and the only ones that are negotiable even today are the accord, civic, and element. everything else went for MSRP+++. nissan is becoming similar. the maxima, murano, 350Z, 350ZR, and quest all sell for at least MSRP, and the upcoming armada and titan will do the same. the 2005 pathfinder will get a complete redesign, debuting in the spring of 2004. we expect this to be similar as well. also keep in mind that after the 2004 F150 debuts, the rebates will be history for awhile, so pricing will be very close.
    Hmmm...that is something that I wouldn't have expected to hear. As far back as I can remember Datsuns were seen at nearly every job site I ever visited, granted the Nissan are as common as other manufacturers but, a great deal of buyers use their trucks to go to work in, and or use as a mobile office and tool box (like I do). I cannot believe Nissan doesn't want into that market share, or why would they provide the different cargo options. Toyota is advertising very effectively to market themselves to the "working man" those guys who are tradesmen. I want a truck that looks good when I take it out on the town yet has the ability to haul and tow the loads I need to during the day. Looking forward to doing an evaluation at my local dealership soon.
  • importfan14importfan14 Member Posts: 18
    to Nissanusa.com, Nissan has matched the 2004 F-150 towing capacity, 9,500lbs. I KNEW that Nissan would not stand still!
    The reason for the locking rear differential is mainly for daily driving on wet pavement (to get better traction). I live on the Gulf Coast where rain is almost a common occurrence. Slick roads are the norm after a rainstorm. Many truck buyers in our locale get either limited slip or locking rear differentials to minimize hydroplaning.

The problem is: no one in the Nissan org. will explain to me why anti-spin devices are used on 4WD only. If I wanted 4WD, I would look elsewhere.
    you will have a traction control option on the 2WD model. get that instead.

the titan can be used, and used well for hauling and towing, but nissan isnt building a regular cab, or one with vinyl flooring, or manual trannies, etc...they are after the general contractor that spends 3 hours a day supervising his supervisors, and needs a truck for the boat and mulch at the house. nissan buyers will be more upscale, and usually (no offense anyone) more educated, and less likely to need a "work" truck...hope that made sense.

the audience nissan wants controls 70% of the light pickup market...nissan wants a foothold in there first before moving on.
    What does a limited slip or locking rear end have to do with whether or not your vehicle hydroplanes? Hydroplaning occurs when the tire loses adhesion with the road surface due to a layer of water forming between the tire and the road surface. Generally, a tire with poor water channeling ability (poor tread design or lack of tread)and too much speed will cause a vehicle to hydroplane. The varibles are the tread design, tread depth, speed of the vehicle, weight of the vehicle, road surface, and amount of water on the surface. No where in my experience did rear diff's come into play.

Locking diffs come into play when your tires are on two different types of surfaces...ice/dry pavement...gravel/pavement...wet/dry. No matter if you have a locker or not, too much throttle and you will spin tires and gain nothing.
    good point, gvoigt...there will be a traction control, either optional or standard, not sure yet, on the 2WD models. this is to give 2WD people that extra feel of security without paying for 4WD.
    in your reply to my inquiry. Your remarks may be meant to inflame, however, you do not know me at all. Neither my educational background or my personal wealth have anything to do with your comments about

"The titan can be used, and used well for hauling and towing, but nissan isn't building a regular cab, or one with vinyl flooring, or manual trannies, etc...they are after the general contractor that spends 3 hours a day supervising his supervisors, and needs a truck for the boat and mulch at the house. Nissan buyers will be more upscale, and usually (no offense anyone) more educated, and less likely to need a "work" truck."

If your psychological persona ASSUMES that a person who drives an older vehicle does so because he or she HAS to...surely has not sharpened the people skills necessary to make a persuasive argument to me. If Nissan is so bold as to only seek clientele who are foolish enough to pay MSRP plus an additional premium to retain the "exclusivity" among its owners, then I will gladly seek elsewhere. If Sam Walton can drive an old F-100 around Bentonville, then I am surely not so egotistical to recognize good value in a domestic offering. There are fourteen (14) other brands that surpass Nissan on the percentage of each brand's vehicles going in for service that needed repairs, according to J.D. Power and Associates survey for 2003. The article may be found at:

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2003-07-29-carfix_x.htm

Nissan is a good car company. It's just not the "end-all-cure-all".

As for the hydroplaning, that is only one reason I stated for the limited slip. Questioning the pros and cons about justifying limited slip during those few moments of hydroplaning still does not answer my first inquiry about the limited slip option. You did mention that a traction control will be offered. How was I supposed to know? Why can't a company just find out what the customer really wants - instead of offering a bunch of Programmable Logic Control subroutines that will require re-programming downloads in the case of system failures. If you don't know what I mean, just wait and see.