Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Titan

Comments

• vanackvanack Member Posts: 5
    Does the Titan come with a rear defroster? Not that it would be a deal breaker by any means, but I do like to see out the rearview in the winter.

Thanks.
    Greg
  • p100p100 Member Posts: 1,116
    I have not seen any TITAN truck with a rear window defroster to date. Some genius at Nissan figured out that a lot of people have 6 ft long arms so they can comfortably open a sliding window in a crew cab version from the driver's seat. Interestingly enough, Frontier crew cabs have a rear window defroster as standard equipment (even XE models). So somehow it was difficult for Frontier crew cab owners to reach the sliding window (hence standard equipment defroster), but that is apparently not the case case with TITAN crew cab. Nissan, please make rear window defroster standard equipment on ALL TITAN trucks. If somebody wants a sliding window without a defroster, it should be optional. A sliding window is not so bad in the king cab version, but in the crew cab full size truck version, it is not accessible from the driver's seat.
    Chevy and GM trucks offer standard rear window defroster, except for their base work truck models. In Dodge trucks, it is available, but optional, and standard only with the Laramie pacakage. I am not sure about Ford trucks.
  • kjpaynekjpayne Member Posts: 5
    Did you get your wiring problem solved? I have just purchased the Titan with Big Tow and cannot, for the life of me, figure where the wire harness plugs in. I found the correct connection guide (connecting the harness to my electric brake controller) but that won't do me much good if I cannot get it connected to the truck.
  • kjpaynekjpayne Member Posts: 5
    Despite what the dealer is telling me, there is no wiring diagram and I have looked several times and cannot find the attachment under the dash. I've take off panels....getting very frustrated....!!!
  • akanglakangl Member Posts: 3,281
    If you indeed have the big tow pkg there will be a connection under the dash. Its a little hard to find, but here's how you do it:

First, set the parking brake, then wiggle in between the seat and the dash on your back more or less laying on the driver's side floorboard. Look up and in the general area of where the parking break lever is (hence the reason I said set it) you will see a scotch taped wire with a white plug end that's not plugged into anything. There will be a white tag on it that says elec brake or something like that. Give it a tug and the tape will come undone, there's your wire. Took me about 15 minutes to find the darn thing in my Titan.
  • dirkworkdirkwork Member Posts: 210
    RE: when to use synthentic oil on new truck

While it is true on some vehicles conventional oil should be used for break in - which I feel is about 5-10K miles, many more high-tech engines do not require such break-in.

Porsche, Viper, Corvette are among the vehicles that are shipped brand new with Mobil 1 and they specify that is the oil to use. It is so slippery that if an engine is relying on wear to "seat" or wear-in the contact surfaces of some parts, that this breaking will not happen.

The fact is however, that most of the new engines are micro-finished and they do not require any break -in for the parts to perfectly mesh together. The idea of someone being able to finish cylinder walls as good as the factory with a stone hone in a garage is not true anymore.

I use mobil 1 in all my vehicles, one had 140k miles when I sold it and the guy that bought it told me later he's impressed at the life of the car - and it had a factory turbo - which is very tough on oil.

I even work for another large oil company but Mobil1 seems to be the best synth oil. For discount oil, Walmart has a house brant (tech something) that has a full synthetic that I have been using my old van with good results.
    Can anybody confirm/deny this claim by Popular Mechanics? I threw this out their the other day and p100 was kind enough to offer his experience.

I have been researching as much as possible about my impending Titan purchase (It has come down to the Titan and Ram 1500- only because of the long bed option). I thought I was 99% sure that the Titan did NOT come with a rear-defroster when tonight I stumbled on a Popular Mechanics article which did a compartitive test against the other big names and in it they mention the Titan's slick power rear window and rear defroster!! One mention may have been an oversight (maybe confusing it with the Toyota) but they not only mention in it in the truck description but it's also highlighted in the comparitive chart under specs and dimensions! The Toyota's is also listed. Go figure? BTW, the Titan was tops in their tests.

Here's the link: If it only takes you to the Pop Mech homepage, do a search for Nissan Titan - it'll be the first result.

I apoligise if this article has already been addressed by the board. I have only read about 500 of the 930 messages.

http://popularmechanics.mondosearch.com/cgi-bin/MsmGo.exe?grab_id- - =39&EXTRA_ARG=GRAB_ID%3D25%00%26EXTRA_ARG%3D%00%26HOST_ID%3D4- - 2%00%26PAGE_ID%3D10951424%00%26HIWORD%3DNissan%2BNISSANS%2BTitan%- - 2BTITANIC%2BTITANS%2B&CFGNAME=MssFind%2Ecfg&host_id=42&am- p;am- p;page_id=11410176&query=Nissan+Titan&hiword=TITANA+TITAN- - IA+Titan+TITANIC+TITANS+Nissan+NISSANS+
    Question for bowke28. I remember you mentioning that a 3/4ton Titan may be available one day as well as a LWB Titan with an 8' bed. Any update on this? I really like the Titan but would love an 8' bed. I'm debating weather or not to lease one for three years and see what's available when the lease is up.

Thanks in advance,
    Greg
  • bowke28bowke28 Member Posts: 2,185
    that would be a great start. at the very least, you will know one way or another by then. im still not 100% sure, but nissan DOES have plans for more trucks...i just dont know what kind yet.
  • li_titanli_titan Member Posts: 7
    How do you like your Truxedo cover. I almost got the Torza cover but I am not sold on it yet. I know the problem with the bed extender. Is it a big problem or not. Thanks
  • keaneckeanec Member Posts: 349
    I also have the Truxedo cover. If I had to do it again, I would look or wait for another cover. The problem isn't in how hard or easy it is to remove it and flip it; that is easy. It is when you have stuff in the bed and you want to move it or flip it. Everything has to come out. I think it would have been fairly easy for the Truxedo to have rails which were a fraction less wide and then you could flip it. The rails would also take up less space.

It is very easy to use it you don't keep it in the bed all the time, If you do like I do and keep the bed extender flipped at the front, you have to take it out, load everything in, then put it back in.

There must be a cover that works better. Also, mine isn't 100% watertight.
    I have been looking for a cover for about 1 1/2 weeks. The only other one that works with the utilitrac system is the torza top, but that has its own issues. It is not a rollup, it folds up, so if you want to keep it on it still take up 1/3 of the bed. Or you could take it completely off. I have called nissan and they do not have a cover for it either. Truxedo has come the closest without drilling any holes.

I was also told non of the tonnaeu covers are 100% water proof. I am not sure if that is true or not.

Thanks
  • cheungcheung Member Posts: 4
    Tung579,

Do you mind telling me how much was the step rails and bug shield? I just bought an XE King Cab and thinking of adding the two item

Thanks
  • bigrockbigrock Member Posts: 2
    i can't wait to buy a titan, but i'm wondering if i should wait for the 2005 models. the reason i'm doing this, is because i'm hoping that nissan will come out with a decent blue paint for the titan. "deep water blue" is a little on the greenish side for my tastes. does anyone know if nissan is planning on changing some of their colors? i would hate to wait to buy a nissan titan just to learn that they're sticking with the current colors.
  • natitnatit Member Posts: 5
    Anyone out there have a titan with the last five digits of the vin # over 60,000.Thats supposed to be the sequence number in which they were built and could you tell me if you have had any problems.Also has anyone heard of some of the problems titans are having being fixed at the factory.I live in maine and the selection is very poor up here dealers are lucky to get 1 new titan a week.I'm In search of an se model with little or no options.I would also like to thank everyone for there posts you can't get this info in any auto magazine.
    My Titan has a build date of 1/04, so I'm guessing its an early one (last 5 of the VIN not over 60000). Its had a few minor things, the 4LO light, a power window motor, and a couple trim pieces, nothing I would consider major problems.

I enjoy the truck and have put over 6k miles on it in just over a month. Any first year model is going to have issues, just the nature of the beast. Even Ford is having issues with the F-150 and they've been buiding that for how long??
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Be sure to check out our Town Hall chat lineup for Tuesdays... First up, talk the latest in new automotive technology during the Hybrid Vehicles Chat from 12-1-6pmPT/3-4pm ET
    NOTE: This is a NEW time slot for this week!

Hybrid Vehicles Chat Room

Immediately following at 6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET, we keep the chat party going with the Mazda Mania chat.

Mazda Mania Chat Room

The Town Hall chats are a great place to take these message board topics LIVE. Hope to see you there this week!

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards
  • keaneckeanec Member Posts: 349
    If you want to use the bed extender, you will need to drill holes with the Truxedo. The clamps go in the track so this doesn't allow you to take the extender out to flip it. The solution is to use self tapping screws to attach the cover rails at the back. It works alright for me. The cover itself is pretty good. I just wish they would have designed the rails a little narrower so the extender would work no problem. If there is nothing else out there, then I guess I would go back to it because the amount I use the extender is alot. And I wouldn't want a folding cover that takes up 1/3 of the bed. The top looks really good on my truck.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Let a typo slip through in my chat promo... the Hybrid chat is from 12-1pm PT/3-4pm ET... that 12-1-6PM thing myst have been BST... Bob Standard Time... DOH!

Be sure to check out our Town Hall chat lineup for Tuesdays... First up, talk the latest in new automotive technology during the Hybrid Vehicles Chat from 12-1pmPT/3-4pm ET
    NOTE: This is a NEW time slot for this week!

Hybrid Vehicles Chat Room

Immediately following at 6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET, we keep the chat party going with the Mazda Mania chat.

Mazda Mania Chat Room

The Town Hall chats are a great place to take these message board topics LIVE. Hope to see you there this week!

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards
    Does anyone know what the tire presure on the 17" wheels should be set to. The tires say 35psi, but that seems low for these tires. When I picked up the truck they were set to 45. I have gotten different answers on this issue. Thanks
    I checked the door jam on mine (its supposed to have 17's but doesn't) and the 17's are supposed to be set at 35 psi.
  • derykfderykf Member Posts: 9
    I took out the Nissan track blocks at the back end of the utilitrac and put the Truxedo mounting brackets in their place. The bed extender brackets are still mounted in the track. Once the Truxedo frame is mounted in place you slide the bed extender brackets all the way to the back against the Truxedo brackets. At that point you can put the bed extender into the brackets, but it goes in at an angle instead of straight down like normal. You will then have the bed extender out on the tailgate and should be able to use it. If you want to be able to close the tailgate you have to remove the bed extender from the brackets and put it in the truck box. You can't just flip it in like normal. So far it has worked fine for me.
    that wouldnt happen to be a pseudonym for li_sailor, would it? ;-)
    Usually all tires designeated with a "P" will have specified pressures up to 35 psi. "LT" tires will have pressures between 35 and 50 psi. Commercial truck tires with 12-20 plies may go up to 100 psi or even higher.
    $ 900 seems a little high for a thin coat of spray-on bedliner, bed utility light, two tracks, and a small tool compartment with a hinged door on side of the truck. Several years ago GM offered a composite truck bed for their 1500 series pickups for about $ 800. This bed was all composite, including the sides, and tailgate, and would never rust, so no need for a spray-on bedliner. This seems like a much more logical utility package for the money than what Nissan offers. The other day I saw a Titan truck with most of available bed accesories, such as sliding divider, plastic bin, bed extender, and utility bed package. The total cost of these "goodies" was over 1500! Give me break! These things are not worth that kind of money. You can get a big tow package and an off road package for that!
  • capriracercapriracer Member Posts: 907
    What pressures p100 referred to was the usage inflation - what's on the placard.

However, what is written on the sidewall of the tire - the maximum for that tire - is at least the same and usually higher.

And just a bit of additional info - LT metrics go as high as 80 psi.

Hope this helps.
    it gets a little more than that.

factory-applied (read: pre-paint, no corrosion) spray-in LINE-X bedliner
    lighted tailgate
    5 tracks
    4 200-lb. rated adjustable tie-down cleats
    water-resistant storage compartment

you can say it that way and it doesnt sound like much, but the value for someone who actually uses these thing is immense.

and if someone pays $1500 for those few things, i would call them bad negotiators in the first place.

but keep in mind, people pay that kind of money for truck accessories ALL THE TIME. nissan buyers arent alone there, beleive me.
    Options and accessories can drive up the price of a TITAN truck into $ 40K+ range. An SE crew cab 4X4 that I was interested in was equipped with popular power captain option and splash guards and listed for $ 31.8K. A crew cab LE 4X4 loaded with every available option was almost exactly $10K more, at $ 41.6K.
    that the $41k price tag comes with nav and dvd, which totals $3500. the ford, for instance, goes for $41k with a simple lariat suprecrew...not even with nav or dvd.

the titan is priced perfectly to compete.
    I am not complaining. Actually I like the fact that there are so many variations of the same truck, so everybody can choose their options.
    Back in 1995 I bought the most expensive Nissan pickup available: SE V6 4X4 king cab because this was the only version that offered power windows, locks, sunroof, and limited slip differential. The price of this truck (MSRP $23K) was twice that of a 4 cyl regular cab XE Nissan pickup(MSRP about $11.5K).
  • hacker18hacker18 Member Posts: 2
    Hi and thanks for your post. Just took delivery of my 2004 Titan LE with Rockford Fosgate package, Big Tow and Off Road. LOve IT!!! But I need Tonneau. I have just heard about the Torza and I an curious. I have heard you need adapters. What adapters. The Toraza sites do not seem to mention any adapters. Where do you get them. I do not have the bed extender so it would not be an issue for me. I also hear of the TruXedo. What do you all recommend?? Thank You in advance for any response.

Terry
    I ordered the truxedo tonneau (should be here today) I have the SE Smoke with Big tow, Off road, popular with Captains chairs and side air bags. I just had them install side rails (looks great). If you have any questions call the cover people up they are very helpfull. Sorry but I do not have the part number with me for the truxedo. It comes with specail clamps for the utilitrac system. Same thing with the torza cover. There are pluses and minuses to each one.

Good luck..

PS. Thanks to everyone that answered my questions regarding the tire presure and the tonneau cover.
  • bknightbknight Member Posts: 5
    I have an LE CC and recently went through the exercise of reviewing available tonneaus. The best site I found and eventually bought from was http://www.truckgadgets.com in Dallas. They have a good comparison chart, were very helpful on the phone, were very competitive on price, and drop shipped to my house. I bought the Access roll-up cover designed specifically for the Titan CC because it required no drilling, even though it is advised. It looks great, has a lifetime guarantee, and will allow use of my utili-tracks and extender with a little work. Nissan has a soft cover due anytime and said a hardcover will follow later this year but I could not wait since I was heading to Colorado. By the way, the Titan kicked butt in the mountains. Good luck.
    we ordered a color-keyed hard lid from A.R.E. looks GREAT!! it also has enough clearance for the bed extender. our cost was $855, so i would imagine that retail would be around a grand or so, installed.
  • liquidliquid Member Posts: 1
    I can't agree more, I have had my titan for three months and it has been in the shop 6 times. To call it a dissappointment would be an under estimated statement, I have driven alot but never had half the brake problems with my ford as I have had with this truck. In conclusion the brakes on this truck are not the quality they should be and need to be replaced.
  • hacker18hacker18 Member Posts: 2
    Just returned from first trip with my Titan LE with Bit Tow, Off Road and Rockford Fosgate/Captain Chairs packages. What a beast. Towed my hybrid camper(a little lighter than regular camper) uphill at 65-70 MPH without even a downshift. Thanks for the responses on the covers. Leaning toward Truxedo at this time for a cover.

Terry
  • mccdon1mccdon1 Member Posts: 32
    The torzatop is supplied with 4 adapters that slide into the utilitrac rails. Just remove the rear stoppers and slide them on. very easy.
  • sigma391sigma391 Member Posts: 1
    Tiltboy, did you ever buy a Titan? I'm in AL also (Montgomery) and I'm trying to find someone who will give a great deal...hadn't found 'em yet.
  • boomer1bboomer1b Member Posts: 316
    Don't get jammed by a dealer !

Dealers in my area of waay upstate NY area are advertising new Titans for $5000 off msrp. Incl.
    rebate.
    One dealer has 40 in stock !

Use the Nissan web site to locate one and save $$$!
    email me.
    $ 5000 off the factory sticker is a good deal on TITAN as there is only a $ 1000 rebate on the truck. Most dealers here in Florida will discount only up to $ 4000, if they have some trucks in the inventory for more than say three months, they will mark them down $ 5000 off.

You have to be careful though, because you may end up paying a lot more for the truck than the discounted price. Here is why:

Dealers will play games and do everything to steal your trade-in if you have one. If you do not have a trade, they will magically come up with a dealer's fee, which can be as much as $ 800. This is nothing but an added profit. I was disgusted the other day when I was getting my 95 Nissan SE V6 4X4 truck appraised. The truck is in mint condition with only 84K miles, no accident history, one owner, runs perfect, ice cold A/C, four new Michelin LTX tires, no dings or scratches, no rust. The dealer claimed that he will follow the Kelly Blue book trade-in value. For my truck, in excellent condition, this trade-in value by the book was $ 5000. Imagine my anger when this guy comes back with an appraised value of $ 3250. This was for a truck in "fair" condition. If my truck is in fair condition, then their new TITAN I was looking at was worse, bacause it had more paint flaws than my truck. Kelly Blue book also has trade-in values for vehicles in "good" category and most dealers will use these to appraise your vehicle. Keep in mind that a vehicle rated as "good" has visible wear and tear, tires in less than perfect shape, etc. Fair condition means that the vehicle may need new paint, has some rust, A/C is not working, tires and brakes are in need of replacement, etc. Kelly blue book retail price for my truck is about $ 7500. If I let this truck go for $ 3250, they would have a kid wash it and put it on the lot for $ 7.5 or 8K and think nothing of it if they made $ 4K on it. This vehicle truly could be put up for retail sale by a dealer without doing anything to it. Make no mistake people - dealers make money on used vehicles. There is no way they will make $ 4k on a new TITAN because of fierce competition. I do not mind if a dealer makes $ 1000 on my used vehicle. After all, they have facilities to maintain and personnel to pay. But they do not deserve a $ 4K profit on my vehicle. I have bought a lot of new cars and trucks in my life but I have never seen it so bad and so many shameless people doing everything possible to rip you off. It was never so difficult to get a decent trade in for your car or truck.

Since then, I had people offer me $ 6k on the spot for my truck. This truck in this condition is a very rare find because Nissan did not make a V6 pickup between 1996 and 1998. So there will be no trade-in if I decide to buy another truck.
    In my neck of the woods it is 4000 off sticker plus 1000 rebate. I thought they were throwing in 1.9% int. too. Have to check the paper again!

As far as trade in......Its worth what its worth!
    That truck is a wholesale piece !
    Heck, I traded my 96 Caddy for a 03 Caddy. Book said $10,000....Dealer said $6000...........

Terry over at Real world trade value thread here at Edmunds said.......high 5s to low 6s
    He was RIGHT on too.........

My 01 Chevy truck trade (mint LOADED 29k miles 4x4 ex-cab) for a o4 Chevy
    Book said 23k...Terry said 18k......
    2 dealers bid it....one 18,5 the other 19.5.....

Post your truck over there in the Smart Shopper thread.......real world trade values.
    Terry can give you the RIGHT price !
    First, there is NO such thing as a 95 84k miles *mint* or *excellent* condition vehicle. To be *mint* or *excellent* condition it would have to be an 04 Lexus with 1k miles in the wrapper.

Second, books don't buy cars, people do. Used cars are worth what they are worth. The dealer has to take it in, run it through his shop, detail, then put it on the lot, that all costs money. It MAY or MAY NOT sell in 1/2/3 weeks, it may sit there for months. All the time depreciating. Or he may have someone give him a cash offer of $5k and take it. He has to leave some room.
    "First there is no such thing as a 95 84K miles "mint" or"excellent" condition vehicle."

Respectfully disagree with your statement. If there is no such thing, then why is there an "excellent" category in the Kelly Blue book for trade-in values? Kelly Blue book is very specific about what an "excellent" used vehicle should look like. My truck meets all of their criteria. Dealers simply conveniently got rid of that category for all trade-ins and treat everything as "good" at best. This dealer went one step further and used the "fair" category which is totally not applicable here. This is what irritated me.
    What is irritating is that everything they sell is obviously labeled "excellent".
    Excellent does not mean perfect - no used vehicle is perfect - for that matter most new vehicles are not either. But as used trucks go, this one is exceptional and hard to find in this shape. For example,the seats had sheepskin covers on them since day one and there is absolutely no wear or single stain on the original seats. Original paint in showroom condition. Top of the line new Michelin LTX M/S tires. I see three year old trucks with worse paint than this one here in hot Florida.

Also, even the auction "black book" value of my truck was listed at $ 4700-4900. So where does the $ 3250 offer come from? Simply an attempt to steal the vehicle and resell it at a maximum profit.

Well, enough said, I believe that if somebody had a truck like mine with 3500 original miles and stored in a climate control garage all its life, he would not fare much better than me. The market is saturated with used vehicles and that makes it more difficult to get a decent trade-in.
    You have a 10 year old truck with 84k miles, its nothing a bank will finance and the dealer can't warranty it, why would he put top dollar in it? At 84k miles things are going to start breaking (even if its a Nissan). Not trying to dog your truck, just let you know how it is........I worked in car sales and currently have a job offer at the Nissan dealer that I'm mulling over. I've NEVER seen a UCM put anywhere near clean book in a vehicle with that many miles on it, its booked at fair condition because that's what it is when the miles are tossed in.

We can't even get clean book for our 99 Ram 3500 V10 4x4 dually that is super clean, still smells new and has all of 20k miles on it. It gets hit at fair book because its 6 years old.
    That is simply not true..........

That truck ain't worth squat........
    Any high line dealer won't touch it. Off to the auction it goes..Like it or not.

In my neck of the woods a late model GM 4x4 3/4 x-cab truck is worth $$$$$.
    Mine was detailed and front line ready to sell when I traded.
    It sold in 2 days for $22,900.

YES..the dealer grossed $3400 big ones !!!!!!

Was I ripped off ? NO.....
    WHY?
    Am I gonna bother sitting around waiting/answering the phone ? NO.......
    Am I gonna go on endless test drives by joyriders?
    NO..........
    Am I gonna worry if Mr. X can get a loan for $22 large? NO.............
    Am I gonna have to deal with Mr. X when my PERFECT truck drops the transmission or muffler bearing out next week? NO..........

Please before ya tell me well put "as is etc. etc." on the sale papers........
    SORRY.....Here in NY it don't work that way. The seller can simply drag me into small claims court.
    If you don't respond..YOU LOSE !!!!!!!!

It happened to me some years back when I sold a $500 winter rat car.
    Once bitten twice shy I say !

So ya gotta either sell it yourself or trade it in. Best bet...Get over to that Realworld trade values and post..........good luck
    Yup, that about sums it up. Thanks for the backup. I always hated NY state laws, lol and I ain't been back there in 10 years.
    You still did not answer my question: why did they offer me $ 3250 instead of at least low auction black book price of $ 4700? I probably would have accepted $ 4700 because I realize that the truck is 9 years old. As far as financing older vehicles, our local Credit Union will finance this truck up to its retail value of $ 7800.

I bet that this truck would not go to any auction but would be displayed on the dealer's lot the next day for $ 7500. I checked asking prices for these trucks and there was a Nissan dealer in Colorado who had an identical truck like mine for sale. The mileage was around 95K. The asking price was $ 9,000!!
    Check with Terry over in Real World Trade In Values, he can give you an idea of what that thing is really worth.

We can't see your truck so we don't know why he offered what he did. Like I said people buy cars, NOT books. On a 10 year old truck you can pretty much toss the book out the window.
    "low auction black book price"

thats the problem right there. the number in the book IS NOT A PRICE. its an estimate. a generic one at that. it doesnt see the burn hole in the seat, or the scuffed corner of the bumper. it doesnt hear the funny noise while in 4WD, or see the engine light on the cluster. the door ding on the passenger side isnt factored in, and the fact that its black-on-black in arizona really doesnt help either.

(im not talking about your truck in particular. im simply illustrating the kinds of things a book estimate doesnt take into consideration.)