Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Suzuki Aerio Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• supratunersupratuner Member Posts: 9
    Well, this topic has got me second guessing. I found a 2002 Suzuki Aerio S near by. It's a 5 speed with 52,808 miles. It's going for 8K. After hearing a lot of bad, I was wandering, do you think I should buy it? I'm 17 and it'd be my first car. I want something to do maintenance on by myself, but nothing out of control that will kick me in the [non-permissible content removed]. Is this the wrong car for me?
  • neal2goneal2go Member Posts: 9
    The Suzuki Aerio is perfect for your age. It's also fun to drive. Other people have said that they have problems with their Aerio but I have never had a problem with mine except for a flat tire. I suggest getting an automatic transmission because most people have problem with the Aerios that have a manual transmission. I have a 2002 Suzuki Aerio GS Automatic and I love it. It has 60,000 miles and no problems so far. I suggest you search for an automatic and a GS model. The GS model is a great value. You get fog lamps, spoiler, and 15" aluminum wheels for a great value. I also feel that 8,000 is too much for a 2002 Aerio S. You should be able to find something cheaper especially for a manual and 50K miles. It is a great used car to buy especially for its low resale value and a great gas saver.
  • lynnster2lynnster2 Member Posts: 13
    When did your rear tires go bad? We just had a flat and noticed both tires bald in rear. Didn't think to check them as car serviced as still under a year old and didn't think this would happen. Did you have to pay for new tires? We did and they are blaming us. They refuse to admit there is a problem with this car and rear tires going bald....HELP
    I think we all need to get together on this...
    Same problem as you but Suzuki blaming us for bald rear tires on new car bought in Aug 2005. Only noticed at 14K due to flat rear tire. There is a bulletin about the rear tire wear but Suzuki gets to decide which cars they will fix. Sounds like you got a bit of help then nothing. I got no help at all this week when we got the flat and they will do nothing! Class action will have to happen apparently. But how do we do this?
    Is your Aerio auto or manual? Have same car and have 2 bald rear tires at 14K and worried about this as should not happen with new car!
    Re the TSB - pls tell me more as I just had flat on my AWD 2005 Aerio and being told my bald rear tires are not due to problem with the car. I don't believe them and am getting frightened about all the others with same problem. Is your car auto or manual? Ours is auto AWD. 2005 with 14K miles. Bought new in Aug 2005. Suzuki won't even tell me what the TSB is about after I gave them VIN number. I only heard about a bulletin from Yokahami tire company or else would not know there is any problem at all. Suzuki denies it! They finally said it's "up to the dealership" to decide if my car has a problem. I would like to know exactly WHAT the problem is. All I know is that I have 2 rear tires with absolutely NO TREAD at all and a flat tire. I have just pd $600 for 4 new tires as too scared to let my child drive on tires that came on car and went wider. Very scary for new car owner to go thru this....
    Well, can't say yet as just put 4 new, wider tires on our 2005 AWD Aerio auto.
    Both rear tires completely bald at 14K and car is less than a year old, so we are faring worse than you did!
    Our OEM tires were also Yokahama's G046 1955515's. Had to get 2 tires to replace the rear OEM's and decided to replace all 4 as tire place said front tires were about to go as well. Suzuki NO HELP and deny any problem with this car!
    We put 4 Falcon's on which are medium rated tires. They are wider which is a good idea. They also have a warranty as the OEM's had 0 warranty! (this according to Yokahama who say the OEM's were not defective upon looking at them) The baldies are in trunk of car, waiting to go see a judge somewhere, sometime.....I am afraid the new rear tires are also going to lose tread as there is a problem with this car that Suzuki is denying! Good luck to all of us!
  • aeriohawaii1aeriohawaii1 Member Posts: 39
    I have a 2005 Aerio SX.
    I have been religiously aligning my tires every 3 months. So far the tires look like they are going to last about 36,ooo miles. I currently have over 21,ooo miles on the tires. Firestone has lifetime alignment for about $150, a wise investment, since new tires are so Expensive.
    But unfortunately my brakes did Not last very long. I just had to replace the front brakes after Only 21,000 miles.
  • chavschavs Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I need help please I am from Mexico City And I will buy an Aerio Sedan FWD premium. I am worried because I will use this car on Highway all the time And this highway is often wet and foggy with a lot of curves. So my question is: Is this car for me?, please help me with your experience.
    Thank you.
  • guestguest Member Posts: 770
    Go ahead with this car. For the money, it's great. JUST BE SURE TO PUT GOOD WIDER TIRES ON IT! There is a problem with the rear tires going bald at low miles and there is a fix for it. There was something wrong with the software downloaded when manufactured but they have a fix for it now. We are still waiting for our car to get this fix. Talk to the dealer before you buy it and make sure your car has been fixed. The dealer who sold me the car in Connecticut told me about this after a Suzuki in Miami and the 900 number for Suzuki both lied about it! The car went bald at 14K miles in Miami with a flat and this is where car is now, not in CT. We still don't know who will fix it! I will post when something finally happens..
    We did put 4 good, wider tires on the car last week & immediately noticed the car handled the way it should have from the start. So, the car comes with horrible thin tires that won't do good in your conditions. The fog lights will be great for you. Good luck!
    BTY - don't count on SUZUKI customer service at their 800 to help you if you have a problem! They look out for Suzuki and not the consumer..At least that's our experience after just 11 mos of ownership of new Aerio AWD, bought off the lot last fall!
  • bwood2bwood2 Member Posts: 2
    I would participate in any class action suits against Suzuki for putting cars on the road that they are unwilling to back up with service and are DANGEROUS to their drivers and passengers. I swore I would not pay to replace my tires again, and now I am putting out over $400 to put four tires on this car so I do not have a blow out and injure my kids or someone else!
  • mattb4mattb4 Member Posts: 5
    I found out a possible solution to the rear tire problem. The original tires went bald after 10,000 miles and I replace them with BF Goodrich Traction T/A tires which I had on my Focus. I think they are great tires. When I went to have them rotated (with only 10,000 miles on them)the tech told me that they were worn on the outside edges and they may have "bad belts". When I sent them back to Discount Tire Direct I was told it was an alignment problem. I called Suzuki dealer and there is TSB out for the problem. He oredered parts for the "viscous coupling" and will also do a 4 wheel alignment (camber adjustment)at that time. Hopefully this will fix the problem. Will report back if this helps.
    Tks! I am still waiting to hear from Suzuki now that the original dealer who sold me the car last year is involved. He is the only one trying to help. Suzuki in Miami and the 800 toll free customer service is intent on blaming me for not checking to make sure tires were rotated during the 7500 mi servicing which was under the new car warranty! This is just unreal to me! They also say no bulletin re my Aerio which is a lie. So, nothing done except we had to buy 4 new tires just to drive the car. Did that outside of Suzuki. They also aligned car as it was bad but I want the bulletin fixes. I just looked it up and see that there are 5 bulletins on the car now! Not all about tire wear either!
  • wicarownerwicarowner Member Posts: 2
    I have made multiple complaints to my dealership and Suzuki. Tomorrow, I take my 05 aerio in for rear tire replacement and alignment. I have made several calls to Suzuki regarding my concerns, and have not driven my car under wet conditions in over 5,000 miles. We opt to drive one of our other vehicles. I would be very interested in knowing if it is determined how to proceed with a class action law suit. It should not cost a consumer $600.00 every 12,000 miles to replace tires, when the problem is clearly mechanical.
  • wicarownerwicarowner Member Posts: 2
    I agree. I have stopped driving my son in the vehicle because I just don't feel it's safe enough. 12,000 on an 05 purchased in July 05 and tires are bald.
    Hi, does anybody know how long I can use the spare tire for my 2002 Suzuki Aerio? So far I have driven almost 100 miles with the spare tire. What is the maximum mileage on the spare tire?
    :confuse:
    ;) Which side of the car is the spare tire on?
    If it is on the front, the uneven rotation speed will wear out the drive train faster.
    If it is in the back it should not be too bad.
    On my old Mazda 323 I ran my spare tire for about 600 miles and the tread had worn about 1/2 way down.
    The main pain about using the mini spare is keeping your speed to under 50 mph on the freeway.
    It is Not easy to find the unusual size tires that came with the car 55 profile tires are Not real common.
    ;) Which side of the car is the spare tire on?
    If it is on the front, the uneven rotation speed will wear out the drive train faster.
    If it is in the back it should not be too bad.
    On my old Mazda 323 I ran my spare tire for about 600 miles and the tread had worn about 1/2 way down.
    The main pain about using the mini spare is keeping your speed to under 50 mph on the freeway.
    It is Not easy to find the unusual size tires that came with the car, 55 profile tires are Not real common.
    The spare tire is on the front passenger side. The original tire size for this car is p195/55r15. The dealer told me that they have to order this tire and that they don't have it in stock so I am still waiting for it to arrive but I am worried that the spare tire can't run for many miles.
    When my tire blow when the car was brand new, Yokohama sent me a tire from "Tire Rack" have you tired them?
    The tire arrived in Hawaii in just Two days.
    When my tire blow when the car was brand new, Yokohama sent me a tire from "Tire Rack" have you tried them?
    The tire arrived in Hawaii in just Two days.
  • rarchimedesrarchimedes Member Posts: 25
    Boy am I glad that I found this site. In 2003, I bought my daughter an Aerio w/ABS and myself an Aerio SX. Both are now experiencing a problem almost identical with the one you describe. Both pop out of 5th gear, moving the gear handle back to neutral. On my daughter's car, it once bounced out of 5th and back up into 3rd. Her's will now hardly stay in 5th unless it is held. Mine is more problematic. Almost a year ago, I began to have the problem, took it in, and had about half the transmission replaced. Before I had driven ten miles, it happened again. Unfortunately, like your car, mine seldom hops out of gear for the first time before it has traveled 20 or more miles. After that, it usually happens at from 2 to 10 mile intervals. No one has been willing to ride with me long enough to see it pop out again, so they will not do anything else about it. And, I have been driving manuals since the early sixties and have never lost a clutch or had a gear replaced. The one thing that is unique on mine is that it has only happened once when the system was not on cruise control. When it pops, the engine races to the extreme till I hit the button, the clutch, or the brake. Also, my car has only been about 32,000 miles, and the problem started back around 10,000. This is in reply to message 215.
  • trshortertrshorter Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2003 Aerio which has about 88,000 miles. On August 24,2006 I was driving on the Highway when I car started making a strange noise. Every time I gave the car some gas it made a roaring noise. I had the car towed to the nearest Car Dealership. While they the took the car apart. They took pictures and also took a oil sample. The mechanic also cleaned the parts he was taking off. They suggested that at one time or another the car was ran without oil or very low in oil. He suggested that when I received a oil change they maybe forgot to put oil in the car and started it up. Then realized no oil and put some in. I do not believe that. The dealership stated that they were going to send everything to the District Manager and see if the factory warranty will cover putting in a new engine. Yes, they stated that I needed a new engine. The car dealership never called me at all about my car. So on Sept.5,2006 I called them. They stated that the district manager stated that my engine would not be covered. I asked for the District managers name and telephone number. I was told that I could not get that information. I called the 800 number in California I talked to so many people who could not tell me anything. Edward called and talked to the service manager. He stated the the manager told him I had severe oil deprivation. I stated to Edward that I would try to find my receipts for my oil changes. He stated that would be good. So I took the receipts to the service manager and he stated that they are not saying that I did not have oil changes. He replied that my engine did not have any sludge in it. He said it was very clean. The problem is that I did not service my Cams. he stated that the cam was scorched and the number 2 bearing was gone. I would like to know how do you service the cams? I called California again and spoke with a Orlando he called the service manager and spoke to him. Then he stated the same thing that the service manager told me. I explained to him that I took my oil changes receipt to the dealership. He stated they he could not see any information when I called previously about my car. He claims it takes 24 to 48 hours before the information is updated on the screen. I talked to him on sept.6 and 7 2006. He told me to let the district manger look at the receipts and see what he says. I ask him for the district manager name and telephone number. He told me his name but was unable to give me the number because they only have his personal number and he out until Monday Sept 11,2006. Has anyone had this problem at all about the engine and getting the run around?
    I have just installed 4 Kumho Ecsta 711's on my 2003 Aerio SX and they are really nice. The handling is marvelous, and after a recent rainstorm that followed months of dry and hot, they held like they had claws in them. If these wear decently, they will be the best tires I have ever had on any car.

Also, there is a lot of talk about unspecified clunking sounds in various Suzukis, and I have found at least one such source. I discovered that the hood support on my Aerio sometimes pops out of it's holder and bounces around under the hood. When it is put back into the holder, the clunking disappears.
    The Kumho Ecsta 711's are 215/50 R15's on the standard rims. That puts them so close to the original diameter that there will be no noticeable effect on the speedometer...far less than 1%.
  • faipoonfaipoon Member Posts: 3
    It happened to my 2002 Suzuki Aerio SX twice . When it is raining and when I drive through a big puddle of water, the battery light will come on and then the steering wheel become very difficult to turn (like lock up). Then I will have to go straight and the car will be fine again. Anyone know what is the problem?
  • cher1983cher1983 Member Posts: 5
    it sounds like water is damaging the electrical system... but I could be wrong, i'm no mechanic :o)
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Are you still under any warranty? If so, you need to find your oil change receipts. If not under warranty, your complaint would be with whomever last changed your oil.

But if you are without receipts and without warranty, I don't think there's anything you can do.
  • mechanic80mechanic80 Member Posts: 122
    But if your Suzuki has electric power steering (Like on the KIA Amanti) the water could have temporarily shorted out the system. There has to be a quick, permanent fix available if this is the case.
    I think short on electric power steering is very likely. How to check and what is the solution?
  • cher1983cher1983 Member Posts: 5
    I just picked up my '06 Aerio SX a week ago and when I turned on the air conditioner yesterday I heard a loud "Clunk" noise, I took it to the dealer and they can hear it too, but see nothing abnormal with anything... Has anyone else had this problem... my Aerio SX is the FWD Automatic. :confuse:
  • danzigdandanzigdan Member Posts: 50
    I was browsing the Aerio forum because I'm interested in a small wagon at some point and I saw your message.

I had the EXACT same experience with Toyota regarding my Camry. I never did find out the diagnosis but a loss of engine oil destroyed my 97 Camry engine at under 90k. It looked like there was a fairly large leak somewhere at the side or base of the engine due to the spray marks. The dealer claimed they couldn't find a leak and MAYBE "someone forgot to put oil in it when I had it changed".

Be prepared to wait and make sure you have your paperwork in order. I would call them EVERY day and make sure you document it. I couldn't wait and had to buy a replacement engine with $2500 of my own money. And this was a "certified used vehicle". This is the reason I am skeptical of any warranties now. Any manufacturer will try and find a way NOT to honor the warranty. I'm sure giving out free engines hurts their bottom line. ;-)

Your options: 1) If you have ALL of the supporting documentation for oil changes I might seek the advice of a lawyer and/or take them to court if they refuse to pay.
    2) Be prepared to pay for a new engine or next best case scenario is that they might spit some costs with you. Best of luck.
  • danzigdandanzigdan Member Posts: 50
    Regarding the tires, were they the factory tires that went bad? Some of the car manufacturers do put some real crappy OEM tires on cars these days.
  • jrose2234jrose2234 Member Posts: 1
    They were Yokohama tires and very crappy. Its not so much the tires its the fact of the brakes ..its insane that i have to keep replacing them and it seems like its going to be a repetive problem.
    Tirerack can be found at www.tirerack.com and they have several 195/55 15 tires and the other size that is within a tiny fraction of the same diameter is the 215/50 15 of which there are several. I bought the Kumho Ecsta 715's(215/55) at $47-48/tire plus $10/tire shipping and a cost of $14.50/tire mount and balance at a local shop. That works out to $72.50 per tire, while the lowest price offered by any of the local shops was $91/tire plus mount and balance plus sales tax which amounted to a savings of over $130, which I definitely could use elsewhere. And the Kumho's are excellent tires, so what's not to like.
  • logmgrlogmgr Member Posts: 39
    I have a 06 Aerio SX wagon with AWD.
    THe car has 2500 miles on it.
    Fuel mileage is between 27 and 29 MPG.
    Ever since new I have a problem....at around 41 to 44 MPH and 1700 to 1900 RPM (it is an automatic transmission) I have a drive train vibration.
    I took it to the dealer and the manager went for a ride and told me maybe an exhaust pipe vibration (which I doubt); and to bring it back another day for a tech to drive it.
    The vibration goes away as soon as it shifts into the next gear.
    Has anyone else had this problem ?
  • scotta0e316scotta0e316 Member Posts: 5
    If you are driving through large pools of water, it could also be the belt on the power steering pump if so equipped. The water may hydroplane on the pulley if you will. This in turn stops the pump from assisting in turning. Just a thought.
  • scotta0e316scotta0e316 Member Posts: 5
    What are you going to do for a car? Do you really think that other car manufacters are different? They are not. In fact, the larger and more successful they are, the less they care. I know, I have worked in dealership parts departments. Both domestic and foreign.
  • jaltfunjaltfun Member Posts: 8
    My 2006 Aerio Premium has only two problems. The front doors "buzzzzzz" as discussed by others earlier and I cannot find anywhere to purchase performance stuff for this little beast. It's quick at 155 HP but I would like to make her a little quicker and handle a bit better.

Anyone have any suggestions?

:shades:
    My 06 doors do not buzzzzzz....I would suggest checking the window glass.

On performance.....I have only seen air filters and a kit for getting more air to the intake.

Another suggestion.....put some MOTORKOTE in the oil...it stays in for 4 oil changes and will not void the warranty...it WILL increase HP and MPG.....I use it in all
    my cars and pick up and it does work....I would say it would increase HP about 10%. You can go to MOTORKOTE.COM to read about it.
  • jaltfunjaltfun Member Posts: 8
    Thanks but it's not the glass. If you reach over and just put your hand on the black fabric above the are rest on the passanger door, the buzzzzz stops. You don't have to push, just the weight of your hand stops it. I have a service comming up. I think I will see if they can do anything.
    I have an 06 and it does the same thing...only around 1800 RPM and 42MPH.....the dealere called Suzuki and they told him that I should drive with the overdrive off until 45 MPH....sounds stupid to me....but that is what they said.
    Ok...get ready for this...the dealer said it was something in the torque converter and called Suzuki.....they said I should drive it with the overdrive OFF until 45 MPH...sounds
    totally stupid to me....why else is there an on/off button.
    I can see turning it off when decending a steep hill; but around town ???? Makes no sense to me.
    I have news. Now, on both my daughter's car and on mine, all the elements of the 5th gear have been replaced, mine for the second time, and now, the problem has disappeared for both of us. Persistence and having a service boss with a conscience helps. With my new tires and the transmission fix, I hope that I am good for 150,000 miles. Other than that problem, my Aerio SX has been a fun car that gets decent gas mileage. I would be perfectly happy if it had slightly less horsepower so I could get even better gas mileage. My 1994 Neon had only the 132 hp in a 2 liter, and that was more than enough. If this one was detuned by about 10 hp, it would be perfect for my purposes.
    Yeah, the MPG could do better....I have an 05 Cobolt with a 2.2 engine that gets 34 or better in a split between highway/city...I think the SX fuel economy is brought down by the all wheel drive. My Aero gets around 28 now.
  • aeriofallingapaeriofallingap Member Posts: 14
    Let me share with you my experiences with a 2003 Aerio SX 5 speed. It just passed 240,000 Kms (150,000 miles) today.

I remember the Saturday morning in November 2002 I picked up my new silver 2003 Aerio SX hatch back from the Suzuki dealer. Right off the dealers lot I noticed a strong shaking in the front suspension whenever I stepped on the brakes. So after only 8 Kms (less than 5 miles) I’m back at the dealer sitting in the service department. The verdict.... both front discs are warped and require replacement. It seems this little problem wasn’t noticed during the pre-delivery inspection.

A few weeks later the “check engine” light comes on. A sensor in the fuel tank has failed. The gas tank is removed and the sensor replaced.

A few weeks later, the front brakes are now making a grinding sound. So, it’s back to the local Suzuki dealer and new and improved shims are installed. They almost fix the noise issue. A set of Wagner “Thermo Quiet” pads solve the problem.

It’s now the spring of 2003. During a warm spring day I noticed what sounded like engine pinging. The dealer thinks its engine pinging too. The head technician calls Suzuki Canada for a fix. They claim is an odd problem. I check on the Internet. After a little research I discover that it's a common complaint about 2003 Suzuki Aerio. Cures range from better gas (mid grade or super) to retarding the initial engine advance. To this day the engine pings whenever the temperature is above 15 C (59 degrees Fahrenheit).

The service technician at Brantford Suzuki (where the car was now being serviced) should be awarded a medal for his persistence in trying to resolve this problem. The engine was opened twice and the accumulated carbon removed. This fixed the problem for a week or so … then the pinging returns.

During normal oil change visits, other items were changed under warranty. The entire remote entry system (control unit and 2 key fobs) was replaced. It has since failed again. Both left and right front steering knuckles and bearings were replaced. The left front bearing is replaced again a year later after it fails. At this point the warranty is over… let the real fun begin.

Popping sounds from the front suspension is fixed with after-market urethane bushings installed on the front anti-sway bar.

The driver’s side drive shaft falls out of the transmission. Splines are sheared, fragments of metal are removed from the transmission (manual), and damaged differential gears are replaced. Total cost in parts and labour: $1,500.00.

Six months later, the exact same thing happens again. I did a little research on the Internet and discover that Suzuki USA has a technical service bulletin out on this very problem. (TSB No. TS 02 06284) It’s not an isolated occurrence as Suzuki Canada claims. I called the service managers of a dozen Suzuki and ex-Suzuki dealers in Southern Ontario. Suzuki Canada isn’t telling me the whole truth. Most report at least one. The local Suzuki dealer has had three (including mine). It should be noted that, according to the dealers, the 5-speed manual isn’t as popular as the automatic in Canada. So, this could explain how there seems to be less of an occurrence here than in the USA.

I’m not happy with the prospect of paying another $1,500.00. After some frank and open discussions with Suzuki Canada (can you say lawyer?) and the support of a truly excellent dealer. Suzuki agrees to replace the transmission, and inside CV joint with new parts. I pay the labour.

The rear tires develop a significant negative camber problem. The local Suzuki dealer doesn’t have a clue on how to fix this one. It seems the brain trust at Suzuki Japan has built a car with NO REAR WHEEL CAMBER ADJUSTMENT. The rear tires are wearing VERY quickly and there’s a significant amount of rear wheel push in the turns. An inexpensive “cam bolt” available through the Online after-market vendors solves the problem. Suzuki Canada also issues new alignment specs including wheel camber (figure that one out) for the 2003 model year.

Both gas struts that hold the hatchback open fail (loudly) within days of each other. Replacement is $130.00 each! No after-maket units are available….

The clock and temp gauge lights fail so it can only be read in daylight. Replacement $130.00

A fog light is broken by a rock. Replacement $ 130.00. See a theme here?

The drivers side door lock packs it in. I find a replacement at the local recycler (scrap yard)
    Whew ! That is a lot of difficulties in 150 K.But was glad to see that at least it held up for 150K.How is it doing now ?
    I'm with logmgr on this one. Even if you total up all those repairs, that's pretty good for a car that has gone 240,000 km's. Now, I admit my SX is not the 4wd version, which certainly will have certain problems that the fwd version does not, but that car would meet the requirements for lemon law replacement in most of the US. Beyond the tendency to spit out of 5th gear, now repaired on their dollar, I have seen no particular problems in my 34,000 miles with this vehicle.
    My Aerio SX..AWD...only has 3000 miles on it but the only complaint I have is the torque converter shutter around 43 MPH and 1800 RPM....the dealer called Suzuki and they advised to run with the overdrive off in that range...stupid
    in my opinion...My Corolla has 312K on it and has an OD on/off button and I never had to drive it with the OD off at intermediate speeds.