Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda6 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• glideslopesglideslopes Member Posts: 431
    I usually whistle on the way to work . Some do find it irritating.
  • wvelezwvelez Member Posts: 16
    Hudalla,

I think I've found the source of that Geiger coounter-like noise: tonight I rode whilst my wife drove the car, but it took her no time to discern that the noise emanates from the dash/console area, althought when I drive the car the noise seems to come from the rear.

Anyway, when you press ( and hold) firmly on the console/dash area just above and to either side of the ends of the hazard switch, the noise disappears. This area is just under and slightly to the side of the center dash vent.

I suspect something is somewhat loose inside this and is rubbing against something when the car flexes. I'm taking the car to the dealer tomorrow to see if they agree.
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    It's sometimes used to dampen vibrations between adjacent pieces of plastic.
    mazdafun,

I agree. I'm going to have them pull the entire console section out in a few weeks (to coincide with routine oil change service). Hopefully they can isolate the source and eliminate it
  • hudallahudalla Member Posts: 6
    I hope your dealer is able to fix your rattle, wvelez. I'm going to check to see if my rattle is coming from the same place.

I was going to tell you that my noise is definitely NOT coming from the trunk carpet/spare tire styrofoam. I removed the entire assembly before driving one day, and the noise was still there.

I'll be shocked if your fix works with mine, since my rattle seems to clearly come from the rear seat. I'm beginning to think it may be coming from the rear package tray/speaker grille area. Still, I know that rattles can throw their sound to other places in the car, so I'm going to check it out.

Let me know if your dealer gets it right. What a shame that we have to track down these types of problems with brand-new cars. It's just like my old Ford Probe GT, which was made in the same factory as the 6s: The mechanicals and the ride are sweet, but everything else is subject to problems.
    hudalla,

when I rode in the back while my wife drove, I too thought it may have been the back light housing; in fact, I thought I could mute the noise by pressing on the housing, but my wife was insistent the noise was coming from the front. There's no denying that pressing on the vent/dash area eliminates it, and I even confirmed this with the service tech I rode with today.
    I certainly hope you are able to resolve your problems. However, let's not generalize about all the cars having rattles out of this plant, or comparing to the Probe.

The vast majority have no noises, including my 6s. The Accord Forum is loaded with hundreds of rattles.

Again, I hope your issues are resolved to your satisfaction.

Mark.
  • magar65magar65 Member Posts: 28
    Did anyone get the Auto dimming / Compass Rearview? If so, how do you get the temp to appear on that display. I know about the amb button, but according to the brochure, it is also suppose to give the outside temp.

Thanks in advance!
  • hudallahudalla Member Posts: 6
    You're right, Mark. I shouldn't generalize. It's just frustration. I just was so disappointed when this cropped up at about 500 miles.

wvelez--I'm glad you said the thing about the backlight area. That was my best guess, because my wife supposedly muted the sound by pressing on the backlight housing, just as you did.

I tried pressing on the vent/dash area yesterday to no avail, but I was not very thorough (I was driving in traffic and shifting). I'll have to give it another whirl, and I'll let you know what I find. Let me know if your dealer fixed your problem.
  • mazdamarlamazdamarla Member Posts: 350
    I don't think the auto-dim mirror is set up to display Temperature, especially since there's already an outdoor temp display on the console where the radio readout is. In order for the mirror to display the temp, there'd have to be a temperature probe wired in and set up, etc., which I don't think there is for this car since the car itself displays the outside temperature.
  • cop414cop414 Member Posts: 68
    I have noticed that the rear brake calipers are a nice shiney, albiet "rough" silver color, while the front calipers are a dull gray color-is it just my car or is there a reason for this-the only one I could think of is that the front calipers might not be able to withstand the coating as they would seem to get hotter. I think that they look much better as silver and was wondering if I did some serious masking if I could paint the fronts to match the rear-any comments??
    I have a 6i with sport pkg.
  • jampedrojampedro Member Posts: 38
    Bought my Japanese made 6 last October and just had my first problem. The right rear window doesn't work anymore after about 400 miles. It's under warranty and I'll bring it in next week. I'll let you know what caused the problem.
    All the calipers are the same as your vehicle. I asked my service manager about this when I picked up the automobile. They had no answers. Let us know if you find out anything.

Mark.
    You probably already tried this, but perhaps something underneath the auto is making unscheduled contact? It could seem as if it were coming from under the seat?

Mark.
  • alcjewalcjew Member Posts: 173
    jampedro: "Bought my Japanese made 6 last October..." Does the Central American (Honduras) market have the MZ6 made in Japan where its known as an Atenza? What engine displacement sizes can you get? I have almost 6K miles on my 6s with no problems so far.
  • rodlcwrodlcw Member Posts: 45
    The window sounds like it catches or something and makes a clunk noise, pretty regular.
    Dealer is ordering regulator. 4500 miles
    Been doing it awhile.

Now that is: Trans-axle leak, air-conditioner had leaked out the coolant, due to very small piece of metal where hose was clamped. Eyeglass holder was sticking, fuse box cover was broke and would not stay on, heated seats only heat for 2-3 minutes. Hope that is it.
    Where was the transaxle leak? MT/AT? What was the resolution?

Mark.
    From what I can gather and from reading my manual, all M6's for all countries except North America are made in Japan and branded Mazda6. My manual mentions spec variations for certain countries in Latin America, Europe and Australia. Nothing about Asian countries where it may be called the Atenza as in Japan. The custom here when replacing any part is they give you the old part back in the new part's package. When they changed the oil and filter, I got the old filter back in a box labeled 2002 Atenza. They sold me the car as a 2003 model last October a few days after the first one arrived in the country. I really think I was the first Mazda6 owner in all of the Americas. Back then it was fun telling all the Edmunds posters about a real live Mazda6.

There is only one engine size available here and it's a 4 cyl. 2000 cc. Obviously sluggish by NA standards but good enough for local driving conditions. Same excellent handling, suspension, etc. Though I do have to be a little careful knowing it lacks emergency power when needed.

Compared to the NA model, I like the full size rear headrests and folding side mirrors, but miss the aux. power port. Luckily the model here doesn't have the external antenna sticking out the center rear of the roof like I've seen in European model pictures (and also in local TV and newspaper ads). I personally dislike that European look enough to not buy a car with it. The antenna's built into the window where it belongs!
    jampedro: Interesting, thanks for the info on non-NA countries MZ6's. Too bad the NA models didn't get the full-size rear headrests and the folding rear view mirrors. I agree with you on not having the ext antenna stalk. Do the rear headrests block your rear corner views? Could you also get the Nav/GPS & HID as options or are they standard?
    Rear headrests do block the corner views, but that's the sacrifice for safety.

No the NAV system is not offered.

BTW, they fixed the side rear window problem. Said it was a loose connection. Must have been the connection at the power window motor, since neither the master or window switches worked for that window.
    As for HID, I had to do a little research to find out what it is and it's not available. I do have the regular fixed fog lights. I'm not sure what they call the trim I have, but it's auto tranny, leather, sunroof, spoiler, 16" wheels (no covers, slightly different spoke design), no sport flares.

Because of the small market, you have to choose from what the dealer has in his lot. There were only 3 when I bought. Of course you can make a special order if you want to wait about 3 months till it gets made and shipped from Japan. That's how long it took to get the CD player.
  • toolman02toolman02 Member Posts: 59
    I remember awhile back a few people had problems with their gas cap, if it wasn't tightened enough it would cause their CEL to come on. Mazda has apparently fixed this, because when I bought my 6 my saleman made sure to point out that I had the "new" type that didn't have this problem.

Just thought someone might like to know.
    jampedro: Sorry for asking a lot of questions, but do you have the rear windshield wipers on your MZ6? Is it a sedan or hatchback? Thanks.

toolman02: Congrats on your new MZ6 and welcome to the exclusive club! I had my CEL come on last week, that was due to the gas cap strap/lanyard getting caught on the threads as I screwed the cap in. This was a common problem on the earlier 6's according to the service manager and I was unaware I had done this.
  • kenobelkenobel Member Posts: 6
    Having test driven the Accord, CRV, Audi A4 and the Mazda 6i, my wife and I really like the Mazda (4 cylinder manual) best. Unfortunately, similar to others' experiences that I've read on this board, we can't get the car configured exactly as we want it (i.e., fully loaded except for the sport package).

Our test car had the sport package, and it seemed generally quiet, the main noise being tire noise on the highway. I understand that the 17 inch wheels that come with the sport package are a bit noisier than 16 inch wheels.

Does anyone have any idea how much difference there would be, and whether it is technically possible to change to the 16's if we want (the dealer suggested that the sport package suspension is tuned differently, and that it might not be possible, but this seems odd to me).

Would the Accord (yes, I know it's a much more boring car) be a lot more quiet? A little? The same?

Thanks for any information and suggestions.

Ken
    I purchased a Steel Grey 6s auto without the 1SE for the exact reason you are inquiring about. The 16" tires are significantly quieter than the 17". The ride with the 16" is also smoother IMO. Now, with the 17" the 6 is within 1 db of the Accord at speed. I noticed the difference in wind noise on the 1SE equipped car. Without the 1SE packedge I'll wager the 6 is quieter than an Accord.The 6 is significantly louder at full throttle. This is due to the unrestrictive exhaust. I did not notice a difference in handling between the 16" and 17". Someone who drives more aggressively than I do may notice that little extra grip. There is no difference in suspensions with the different tires. The 6s does have higher rate front springs due to the extra 205 lbs of the V6.

IMO the 16" on a 1SE equipped car would look out of place. I like the look of the 17" on either car.

Personally, ( a minority opinion ) I love the lines without the Sport Package. My car is super stealthy. My days of rear wings are over.

Best of luck in your purchase. It's been a long time since I have owned a car I take out for drives at 10p after the kids are asleep. It grows on you.

Mark. : )
  • kenobelkenobel Member Posts: 6
    Mark:

Thanks for the reply.

I agree with your (minority) opinion that the lines are nicer without the 1SE Sport Package. The problem is -- for reasons I cannot fathon -- you can't get leather, sunroof, Bose Audio, side airbags/TCS, etc. unless you get that package. (Maybe you can on the 6s, I don't know.)

It's bizarre. It's like they couldn't conceive that people (like us) would like the full fancy leather etc. without the rear fin.

BUT, the dealer says that they can swap out the trunk to get rid of the fin for me. In that case, perhaps the 16" tires would not look so out of place? Or do you think it still would, with the other parts of the 1SE?

It's very frustrating. Might force me to get a boring Accord, or a used A4.

Glad you're enjoying yours.

Ken
  • jjwood23jjwood23 Member Posts: 4
    I drove my 6s home tonight, and I was putting some CD cases in the center arm rest and my elbow pushed on the lid to the center arm rest very lightly. Pop! The entire lid pops off and lands on the floor in the rear seat wells. What! I have not noticed any other areas of concern yet, but for that thing to pop off so easy is making me really nervous about build quality.

The sport package is a little over the top, my 6 has the Appearance package with a Rear Lip Spoiler. I really like the look a lot more than the Sport package appearance. Different strokes for different folks! I felt like the 16' inch wheels made for a smoother ride.
  • chefmazdachefmazda Member Posts: 5
    Have been reading this group for awhile while making my decision on what car to buy. I purchase a silver 6s that now has 1500 miles on it and all the toys. I had a sports spoiler added after market since I did not get the sports package but liked the look. So far everything is great with the car. The only complaint is the front window sweats because the A/C is coming out at the top dash, even though I have the front vent only on. In the manual it looks like air should not be coming out of those vents on top when just having the front vent mode on. Anyone experience this? I know I live in Florida and it is hot but I never had this happen on other cars and I am constantly running the wipers. Other than that this car ROCKS.
  • dmillsdepotdmillsdepot Member Posts: 1
    I have had my Mazda 6i for a little over 2 months and have over 4000 miles on it already. I have encountered 2 problems.

The first is the infamous sunglass storage area in the upper console. I open and close this and when it becomes more annoying than I can stand. Someday I'll get tired of it and have the shop fix it.

My other problem is one I haven't seen listed yet. I was in the automatic car wash and when the track came up to pickup my car I had a problem where the back driver's side wheel would not roll! I have no clue what the problem was. As soon as I put the car in drive at the end of the car wash it seemed to be fine. I had the shop check it out at my last oil change and they couldn't find anything.

Then about 3 weeks later I pulled up to the mailbox and got the mail. As I was pulling into the driveway I heard this awful scraping, grinding type noise coming from that same wheel! Whatever it was it broke loose and then everything was fine again. I took it back to the shop (80 miles away) and still they cannot find anything wrong. So I have to wait for it to happen again before we can even attempt to figure out what is wrong.

Other than that I love my Mazda6. I don't have all the fun things on mine but it's still a fun car to drive. I am worried about not having anti-lock brakes in the winter time. Those do come in handy in this part of the country (South Dakota).
  • cop414cop414 Member Posts: 68
    To dmillsdepot-
    I had the exact same noise several weeks ago. I was driving through the neighborhood after checking mileage from a morning jog. I had just pulled from a stop sign and began a right turn I heard a terrible scraping and screeching noise. I thought to myself that someone was mowing a lawn and the belts on the mower must have something wrong with them. As I began to accelerate I noticed that the noise stayed with me and changed pitch as I drove. I began to slow down and was actually going to call a tow truck-(it was that bad!) and then it stopped as soon as it had started. I figured that a small rock or something must have gotten into the rotor/pad assembly. I think I had about 2K on the odometer when this happened and I thought it was a fluke as I had not seen any posts about anything. It has not happened since-almost 3K on now. Post of you find anything-Thanks.
  • bob08857bob08857 Member Posts: 10
    Could it be the emergency brake not properly releasing? I've noticed a similar problem after I've washed my car and left it parked for a while. When I start to move I occasionally get a loud bang and scrapping from the rear brakes. This goes away within a matter of seconds, or as soon as I apply the brakes. I've always assumed it was rust buildup on the rotors, but maybe it's something else.
  • shankmshankm Member Posts: 10
    bob08857, This is exactly the same problem I'm encountering after washing my MZ6. The rear passenger side brake seems to be where the noise is coming from. It must be the parking brake seizing, but why does this problem not occur when it rains and the rotor is wet.

Unless its the brake dust which when wet dries to rust overnight and makes makes contact with the rotor.

Let me know if anyone has this problem diagnosed with a mazda dealer.
  • bbrs617bbrs617 Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone here turned off the radio and take sharp left turns and heard a single popping noise? Something that sounds like it is structural? I have this problem and my dealer is trying to figure out what is causing it. They have found as of today that there were some sub frame connections that were loose but the problem still exist only less now. When I took the car back home I hear another sound around the center of the car about where the stick shift is. I have the M6s with automatic. Anyway the new noise is coming from underneath the car and the original noise is still there but now does not make the noise as loud as it did. I have not seen anything posted here about this problem but have found other sites with discussions about this and are now up to 4 pages long. I am not quoting the number of people and I don't need anyone comparing the Mazda to the Honda...Please....I really don't think anyone should hold the Honda as a benchmark as I have seen here in the past. It really has its problems as well.
    I would like to hear from others that have the same problem as I do and if they have had it fixed.
    thanks
    bbrs617
    Check all your front lug nuts.

Mark.
  • metenuzerometenuzero Member Posts: 31
    I've been to my dealer (car dealer!) 3 times for problems in the past week as follows:

Visit 1: Moderate brake/steering wheel pulsation, when applying brakes. Cause was warped rotors, they were machined under warranty.
         Visit 2: While servicing during visit 1, dealer had scratched shifter plate (plastic that surrounds shifter). Dealer denied having done it, but the car transport person admitted to having dropped the keys on the shifter plate while turning the car off. Piece was ordered, dealership paying for piece and waving labor.
         Visit 3: While driving on I-95, the front end of the right side still extension (from sports package) came loose. I dragged the piece for a thirty second before i could pull over on the shoulder. The piece was scratched beyond repair, so I ripped of the still attached rear end and left the piece on the grass beyond the highway's shoulder. (Sorry environmentalists but i couldn't fit it in the car, and i wasn't going to drag it to a dumpster.) Dealership requested the part, and I explained to them why I didn't have it, but they warned that all warranty issues like this required the part. Dealership tried to implicate me on the cause of the piece falling off, however they were unable to determine a cause. They replaced the part under warranty
  • arockwelarockwel Member Posts: 33
    metenuzero: What does the car look like *without* the side-sill ground effects, and how are those attached? Does it look good, worse or the same, in your opinion? I was thinking about taking those off as I just think they look tacked-on and a bit too "plastic-y" for the car...
  • avanteguyavanteguy Member Posts: 15
    with out the GFX pak. the 6 looks very plane , to some people plane is good, however i think it takes way from the look of the car . the way you see it on tv is the way you should buy it .man the mazda 6 look s sick with the gfx pack , yes you can take out the side sills just some tape and screws, that what hold s the sills on .
    alcjew:
    No, my non NA model doesn't have rear windshield wipers. I have the sedan and the hatchback isn't offered. No problem with your questions, love talking about my new car.

chefmazda:
    I'm in Honduras about 20 ft. above sea level where it can be really hot and have no problem with front window sweating. A/C is on permanently. I have auto climate control and changing vent outlets is done electrically. Is your vent outlet controlled by cables or electrically? Either way, I'd bring it in under warranty since it must be a real pain.
  • metenuzerometenuzero Member Posts: 31
    The side stills are held in by bolts that are drilled into the side of the car. It looks extremely ugly with the side stills taken off if they came with the car. There are plastic bolts sticking out of the side, and if you take them out there will be holes in the side.
  • rmgpsurmgpsu Member Posts: 11
    metenuzero - My dealer scratched my radio faceplate during a recent service visit. They admitted to having caused the scratch, and replaced it under warranty (turned out to be a pretty expensive scratch - all stereo dials are actually attached to the faceplate). I would strongly encourage everyone to be VERY careful with the silver plastic in the interior; it seems to be losing the battle vs. sharp objects. Might not be a bad idea to inspect your car (with the service manager if possible) during visits to point out any scratches or lack thereof. Just a heads up.
  • 99miata99miata Member Posts: 14
    chefmazda: I just experienced the same front window fog problem two days ago (very pissed, too). Bought Mazda6i 5 spd (with all options) exactly one month ago and have 800 miles on it. Took first long trip (and first night drive) on Sat and experienced problem on way home. I live in MD - it wasn't too hot outside. Had AC on and blower on defog-only position. When I do the same in my '99 Miata (AC on w/temp on full cold), any fog instantly goes away. Haven't consulted manual or called dealer yet, but it was a significant problem on an 80-mile ride home from visiting relatives.
  • ian2ian2 Member Posts: 168
    Sometime I find when I have AC on, blowing at the windshield for too long, it actually starts fogging up on the outside due to humid air condensing against the cool windshield. I'm not if that's the problem you were having. If you have AC on at the non-circulating position, the fog on the inside should go away, unless it is so cold it turns into frost. *shudder*
  • chefmazdachefmazda Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for all your input. I plan on taking it to the dealer sometime over the next month and have it checked out. As I said, if the front forward vent is only on and you put you hand on top of the Dash you can feel cold A/C coming out at top in just one area, which is causing condensation. I will keep you updated once I have it serviced.
  • thlarockthlarock Member Posts: 2
    Hi Everyone,

Just got my 6 three days ago and I love it. One problem though it has been raining here and when I use the wipers they are making a pretty loud noise on the windshield. Seems like they are rubbing pretty bad. Brought it back to dealer who replaced with blade refills but still making a loud noise and rubbing on the way back down. Not sure if this is normal for the car. Anyone notice that the wipers are louder then other cars. I want to go back to dealer again but i think he thinks I am nuts. Thinking may'be the whole balade is too tight - any comments or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks!!!
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    It'll slick-up your windshield nicely.

Have they tried just cleaning off your windshield? Sometimes dirt will cause the rubber to stutter over the glass (and some of the rubber does wear off onto the glass, which will cause the stutter too).
  • stretchsjestretchsje Member Posts: 700
    Heck, Rain-X practically takes the place of windsheild wipers.
    Great product. Use it on my 6s and the DW's MPV during the spring, summer ,fall.

Mark. : )
  • comet63comet63 Member Posts: 3
    I just traded my 1993 Corolla (which I have had since 1993)in on a 2003 MZ6. I love it except I am having that window fogging problem in the mornings. I live in Houston and it is humid here. If anyone gets any solution to this problem, please let me know. I got the onyx black Mazda i auto with beige leather, moonroof, bose stereo, spoiler, sport grill, comfort pkg, premium pkg, and chrome pkg. I don't understand about people having problems getting the car how the want it. I got just what I wanted. I didn't want the sports package as I am 40 and felt it looked to young, but like the sporty look with the spoiler, grill, and chrome. Any ideas on keeping a black car clean (aside from washing it every day) would be appreciated, also. Zoom-Zoom
    Unlike other cars I've had, in defog position the A/C is always on and can't be turned off. Often using defog with slightly warm air will work fine, but I don't have that option in my Mazda 6.

In damp or rainy conditions here in the tropics, the inside can fog up easily. But defog with A/C then causes outside condensation. To prevent that, I have to raise the temperature control, but then it's too warm in the car sometimes. I have to keep turning off the defog before outside condensation starts, then on again when inside fogging builds up. Or else, use the wipers to eliminate the condensation.
  • scottdudescottdude Member Posts: 177
    Is this fogging up problem common in all M6's? I've never owned a car that had this kind of problem. Is it a design flaw, and if so, what did Mazda do wrong?