Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda6 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• thadsonthadson Member Posts: 9
    yes, there is a constant rattle, like the plastic is settling or something... I owe a 2004 Mazda6 4 door
  • thadsonthadson Member Posts: 9
    I have 14K on my 2004 Mazda6. It has a weird quiet crankling random noise coming from the dashboard like plastic is settling.

Also there is a weird chemical smell coming from the front of the car that can be smelled while driving the car, that I can not explain. It is like plastic burning but there is no sign of plastic burning anywhere.

Also when I step on the breaks there is a click coming from the break. I asked the dealer and they brushed it off. Also my front alloy wheels ar constantly getting covered with this dark reddish brownish colored dust that I suspect is coming out of the breaks, but is not present on the rear wheals at all... Any ideas?
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Member Posts: 1,230
    I'm occasionally experiencing some clutch chatter when disengaging the clutch in reverse and first gear, but particularly in reverse. The original factory clutch in my previous vehicle lasted more than 200,000 miles, so I'm thinking the issue here is the Mazda clutch rather than my driving & shifting methods (I never ride the clutch pedal or hold the car on an incline using the clutch).

Trust me, it's not your driving. I get the chatter in 1st gear when I first get started, but it quickly goes away, and unfortunately, it's all too common with the 6.

The clutch in the 6 has been getting a reputation in the car forums as being "dynamic". The engagement point changes ever-so-slightly that it's hard not to "jerk" the car into gear sometimes. The clutch itself has been failing in cars as early as 10K miles!

The chatter that you're experiencing is a common thing with the 6. It doesn't mean that it's failing in any way, shape or form, and you don't need to try to change your driving habits, because it's the car, and not you.

Based on what I've read, I'll be lucky to get 60-80K miles on the clutch, but it's not keeping me from driving it with a smile on my face.
    I have 14K on my 2004 Mazda6. It has a weird quiet crankling random noise coming from the dashboard like plastic is settling.

This noise, and the rattling, is probably a dashboard pin that is used to hold the dashboard in place during assembly at the plant, it gets buried inside the dash and isn't removed. There's a way to remove them, do a little digging online to find out how. I know it's out there somewhere...

Also my front alloy wheels ar constantly getting covered with this dark reddish brownish colored dust that I suspect is coming out of the breaks, but is not present on the rear wheals at all... Any ideas?

It's brake dust, and it's a menacing problem with the 6's brake pads. It happens in front because the front brakes work a lot harder than the rears when stopping the car. The front brakes on all vehicles work harder, but it doesn't yield NEARLY as much brake dust as the 6 does.

Besides replacing the pads with an aftermarket brand, the best thing to do is to keep the wheels clean as often as possible. Brake dust that builds up on our alloys will eventually mar and pit the finish.
  • mes58mes58 Member Posts: 21
    Clutch chatter has been a problem with manual MZ6s. I experienced the same problem with my '03 starting at around 10,000 miles. I took it to the dealer repeatedly but they could not replicate the problem. Fortunately, Mazda issued a TSB on the issue (see message 1557 on this board). After showing my dealer that posting, and given the paper trail I had established, they did the work and I have not had a problem for about 8 months now.
  • mazda6iguymazda6iguy Member Posts: 365
    It's time to replace all four tires on my 2003 Mazda 6i. The car has 38000 miles on it and I am thinking of getting Goodyear Assurance TripleTred tires. Anyone else run those on your cars, and how do you like them? Any other opinions out there on this or other tires I should consider?
    t's time to replace all four tires on my 2003 Mazda 6i. The car has 38000 miles on it and I am thinking of getting Goodyear Assurance TripleTred tires. Anyone else run those on your cars, and how do you like them? Any other opinions out there on this or other tires I should consider?

Even if you're not planning on buying the tires from them, check out Tirerack.com, and enter your make and model year and size wheel. They can also analyze your driving style and recommend to you which type of tires to get.

Having said that, a friend of mine bought a set of the Assurance Tripletreds for his Taurus about 4 months ago, and hasn't stopped bragging about them since! According to him, he gets good dry-weather traction, and they track very well both in rainstorms and blizzard conditions. I don't think you'd go wrong buying them for the 6...
  • robs6wagonrobs6wagon Member Posts: 68
    Has anyone had their windshield rattle over normal bumps and cracks? I have a 2004 Mazda 6 Sport Wagon S with all the trimmings (except roof racks). I have had the windshield replaced once already at 12,000 miles. Dealer said the windshield has mounting brackets, and one of them was broken! That noise came from the top right corner. Now, the bottom right and bottom left are creaking quite noticeably, and at 26,000 miles! Just curious if anyone has run into this problem. Thanks! -Rob :confuse:
  • grey6grey6 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Mazda 6 Turbo diesel. At it's recent 12500 mile service I was told it needs 4 new tires due to uneven wear. This apparantly not covered by the warranty as the car has done over 4000 miles. As the car showed no symptoms such as pulling to one side or juddering there was no reason to get it checked, but the check is chargable at £85. The dealer says they can't help and can't guarantee it won't happen again. It is supposed to be very rare for a wheel to go out of alignment, 1 I could understand but not all 4. The rear wheels are worse than the front wheels. I am still waiting for a response from Mazda UK.
    Has anyone else had asimilar problem? If so how was it resolved?">
  • xuedongzhouxuedongzhou Member Posts: 2
    I just got my 6 back from dealer to fix the clutch disc. The shift is now much smoother. There are still a little chatter, but almost not noticeable. I wish it is fixed for ever.
  • meekone1meekone1 Member Posts: 1
    My '04 Mazda6 5-speed manual trans "clunks" from gear to gear. It is not only noisy, but sometimes hesitant to shift. I have been to the dealer and they say there are no bulletins out on the trans. They seem sympathetic and want to fix the problem, but don't seem to know where to start. I drove a 2003 used Mazda6 from the dealer's lot with more than twice my miles and it shifted smoother and much quieter than mine. I've never had a manual trans as noisy as this and this is my 16th one in the past 40 years or so. Has anyone else had this problem and if so, what did you do? I want it fixed, because it is the only thing marring an otherwise great car. I don't want to have to make 2 or 3 trips to the dealer because for me it's a 400 mile round-trip. Let me know if there's any help for this, please? Bob
  • rprusselrprussel Member Posts: 2
    I recently bought a used 2004 Mazda 6 hatchback still under warranty. When i bought it i realized that some of the lights on the dashboard (where the clock, radio, fan lights are) do not light up. I took it to the mazda dealership to have them fix the display since the car is under a full bumper to bumper warranty. They told me that in this model of the 2004 all the lights arent supposed to light up. It doesnt make sense to me and part of me thinks they just dont want to replace the unit. Has anyone see this type of problem before?
    Which lights exactly are you talking about? On NA models, there are small indicators at the top of the display that are for the trip computer that's available in the rest of the world, but not here. Otherwise, the clock should be fully functional, as well as the radio/CD display, and the HVAC controls.

If you can tell us exactly what doesn't work, we'll be able to tell you if they're not supposed to, or if you have a genuine problem.
  • rprusselrprussel Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your response. The lights that don't work include the Light that shows how high the fan is on and the light that shows whether the fan is coming out of the vents on the floor or up on the dash. Also the numbers that should show the 6 preset radio stations (whichever station you are on should light up i would assume) do not light up either.
    The lights that don't work include the Light that shows how high the fan is on and the light that shows whether the fan is coming out of the vents on the floor or up on the dash.

Do you have the Automatic Climate Control, or ACC (on V6 models) or manual controls (on 4-cyl models)? The ACC uses this display to indicate the function that it's in. I don't believe the manual controls use it. I could be wrong, but I have ACC, and don't know for sure...

Also the numbers that should show the 6 preset radio stations (whichever station you are on should light up i would assume) do not light up either.

If you're talking about the small icons above the main number display that show 1-6, if you have the 6-disc changer (an option), these lights indicate if there's a disk in the respective tray (1-6), and are not used for the radio function.

I hope this helps. If you'd like, you can get an owners manual (if you didn't get one) from the MazdaUSA.com website. Click on "owners" and follow the instructions to register. Once you do, you can download the manual in .pdf format.

Enjoy your 6! 18 months later, I still do! :)
  • oskwioskwi Member Posts: 88
    So, I am still debating between a M3 or M6...basically the air conditioning woes with the M3 (I have severe sinus problems) make me want to avoid it.

What is the reasoning behind CR 2005 rating of slightly poorer than average for the M6? Looking at many different sites, the majority of the M6 owners seem satisfied and CR lists almost every category for 2004 as above average...so why the refusal to recommend?

Also, who produces the 4 cylinder engine for the M6? I'm under the impression from my research that Mazda does the tranny and engine for the 4 cylinders while Ford does the tranny and engine for the 6 cylinders.

Thanks.
  • camarillobrillcamarillobrill Member Posts: 44
    If you have a single disc cd player, and manual climate control functions, those images will NOT display on your dash. The image can be seen however for the functions you described. The 1-6 digits are for the disc changer and not the presets.
  • lefthandmanlefthandman Member Posts: 47
    Clutch chatter has been a problem with manual MZ6s. I experienced the same problem with my '03 starting at around 10,000 miles. I took it to the dealer repeatedly but they could not replicate the problem. Fortunately, Mazda issued a TSB on the issue (see message 1557 on this board). After showing my dealer that posting, and given the paper trail I had established, they did the work and I have not had a problem for about 8 months now.

Thanks for the info & TSB. I've been pleased with my dealer to-date, but started a paper trail file just in case.
    Just wondering what the average cost of a Cabin Filter replacement will be. I am thinking of having it done on my next trip to the dealer for an oil change.
    I'm guessing at least $70 ($35 for the filter, $35+ for the charged half-hour installation).

I don't know for sure, because I'd rather save the $$$$ and change it myself. There are a number of websites that sell them, and even with shipping, they will be less expensive than the parts counter at your local Mazda dealer.

Changing it is a breeze as well. It's located directly behind the glovebox, and it takes 10 minutes max to do it yourself.

On a side note, Mazda recommends changing them every 30K miles (I think). Personally, I do it once per year (every 15K miles), simply because you won't believe just how dirty the filters really get at 15K, let alone 30K miles!
  • bluem6ibluem6i Member Posts: 77
    On a side note, Mazda recommends changing them every 30K miles (I think). Personally, I do it once per year (every 15K miles), simply because you won't believe just how dirty the filters really get at 15K, let alone 30K miles!

I think the replacement recommedation is 12K...
    Yes it is. I just had a chance to look it up.

That would explain how bad it looked when I finally got around to changing it. :)
    I have 39000 miles on mine, so you can imagine how bad it probably is...
    I am going to be getting an oil change and the 40k mile service next week at my Mazda dealer. I am just wondering if I am going to have to go back to the dealer for every oil change, or do other independant shops / oil change places have the knowlege and parts to do this? I have the 2.3 4 cyl. engine (a 2003 model) that as everyone here probably knows has the cartridge and o ring setup. I have heard somewhere that there is a kit that you can get that will convert the filter to a Mazda 3 type twist on filter. Also, has anyone yet had to change a headlight on their cars? I have not had to yet, but the manual says "take it to the dealer". Just wondering.
  • tim15tim15 Member Posts: 10
    I have only 500 miles on my Mazda 6 wagon, and have noticed what sounds like load tappets, or clicking sound when at idle. The dealer said it is just the fuel injectors. Does this sound normal? Also, I was going to change the oil to 200% synthetic. The dealer said this might void the warranty. Any info on this?
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    What brand is that? Mobile 2??? :P
  • camarillobrillcamarillobrill Member Posts: 44
    mazda service reps are looking into voiding warranties if you mess with oil filter arrangement. I personally dont think it would be an issue but some engineer told one of the reps it is a no-no....
  • eev6seev6s Member Posts: 1
    My clutch is slipping and chattering, mostly in second gear. I have a 2003 Mazda 6s 6 cyl. 5 speed that has been driven 29,000 miles. The dealer said that they will have to tear apart the transmission to diagnose the clutch at a cost of $800.00. The clutch is only warranted for 12,000 miles. Anyone else have this particular clutch problem?
  • joeyk11joeyk11 Member Posts: 2
    Does any one know the procedure to de activate the noise that occurs if not buckled?
    Does any one know the procedure to de activate the noise that occurs if not buckled?

Easiest way? Request the dealer to do it.
  • jrosasmcjrosasmc Member Posts: 1,711
    Is the 3.0-liter V-6 engine currently used in the Mazda6 sedan/wagon the exact same motor Ford uses in the Escape, Five Hundred, and other products?
  • jammin3jammin3 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 Mazda 6 with the 4 cylinder. It has 5,000 miles but has been doing this since I got it. When the engine is cold (has been sitting over night or all day while at work) the car runs sluggish until about 3200 RPM, then it takes off like I punched the gas. It only does this for about 3-5 minutes then it runs normal. I took it to the dealer and they said it is normal. They said there is a Tumble Swirl Control Valve that opens at higher RPM's. He also said that when the car is warm, this valve is always open. Anyone else have this problem?
  • jammin3jammin3 Member Posts: 2
    I forgot to mention that my car has a manual transmission.
  • markk1markk1 Member Posts: 30
    When we first got our 2003 Mazda6 the local Valvoline oil change place told us they did not have the cartridge but soon would. Fortuatly since we are not too near our dealer by the next oil change they carried it.

On the headlight did they mean the Headlight or headlight lamp? I'll be really upset if changing the lamp is difficult enough that the dealer. I just changed the bulb on our other car (Subaru Outback) the bulb was $5 and the change took under 5 minutes
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    Mine does it as well. I am a Mazda dealer, and it is completly normal. My advise, let you car warm up, it's the proper thing to do.
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    Is to bring your car to a constant idle and pull away gently. It's in the manual of every car I've owned.
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Member Posts: 621
    The manual says you should have your Mazda dealer replace the bulbs because doing so isn't just a simple matter of unplugging the bulbs and plugging new ones in.

Replacement of the driver's side headlamp bulb requires you to remove the air intake assembly, since it prevents access to the back of the headlamp, where there's a snap-on cover that protects all of the headlamp innards.

I'm sure that it was easier for Mazda to write "bring it to your dealer" than it was to write detailed instructions about how to remove the air intake in order to change the headlamp bulbs. But honestly, removing the air intake box is pretty easy- 4 snaps holding the top half to the bottom, move the top out of the way, and pull up firmly on the bottom half to pop it free from its rubber grommets.
  • banditm6banditm6 Member Posts: 2
    I dont know if you are still wondering but Yes the brakes for a mazda 6 do give off that warning squeal when they are in need of a brake job.
  • banditm6banditm6 Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone taken the bose head unit out of the Mazda 6 and replaced it with an aftermarket head unit? Bose says that you cant do it or you will need to replace the whole sound system...I dont believe it but wanted to know.
    The Mazda 3.0 V6 is based on Ford's 3.0 Duratec engine, but it is not an exact replica. I found the following at www.wikipedia.org -Lefthandman

Duratec 30
    The 3.0 L Duratec 30 or Mazda AJ was introduced in 1996 as a replacement for the 232 in³ (3.8 L) Essex V6 in the Taurus/Sable. It has 2967 cc of displacement and produces between 200 and 240 horsepower (150 and 180 kW). The same basic engine is used in the Jaguar S-Type, Lincoln LS, Mazda MPV, Mazda6, Mondeo ST220 and many other Ford vehicles. It is essentially a bored-out (to 88.9 mm) Duratec 25 and is built in Ford's Cleveland, OH #2 plant. A slightly modified version for the Ford Five Hundred entered production at the Cleveland, OH #1 plant in 2004.

There are two key versions of the Duratec 30:

(1) DAMB - The Lincoln LS and Jaguar AJ30 versions have direct-acting mechanical bucket (DAMB) tappets. Output is 232 hp (173 kW) at 6750 RPM with 220 ft·lbf (298 N·m) of torque at 4500 rpm.

(2) RFF - The Taurus/Sable/Escape version uses roller finger followers (RFF) instead and produces 201 hp (150 kW) at 5900 RPM with 207 ft·lbf (281 N·m) of torque at 4400 rpm.

The 2006 Ford Fusion, Mercury Milan, and Lincoln Zephyr feature a version of the Duratec 30 utilizing variable valve timing. The engine will have an output of 221 horsepower (165 kW) at 6250 rpm, and 205 ft·lbf (278 N·m) of torque at 4800 rpm.

Mazda's MZI version adds variable valve timing, as does Jaguar's AJ30. Note that the MZI name is also used in Europe on Mazda's version of the Ford Sigma I4. The 3.0 L, 226 hp V6 used in the Mondeo ST220 is called Duratec ST. The 3.0 L, 204 hp V6 in the Mondeo Titanium is called Duratec SE.
    Check out the message below, and search this discussion using the key word 'clutch' for additional info. Good luck! -Lefthandman

Message #1557:
    For those of you who are still experiencing clutch chatter with your manual tranny...Mazda sent out a TSB today. The clutch disc material is modified to address the concern. TSB # 05-003/05. just came out today, so your local dealers may not be up to speed yet.
  • lmp2lmp2 Member Posts: 2
    05 Mazda 6 has had transmission "disengage" 12-14 times when travelling at slower speeds; stop and go traffic and parking lots. transmission goes to shift from 2-3 and it is like the clutch is pushed in and the engine revs (car is automatic), RPMs kick up and then the car goes into gear. Taken to dealer 4 times and they can't replicate. Working with Mazda customer service and dealer at this time to get it fixed. They feel they can find the problem and fix it. Anyone have a similar problem? Related or not related, the steering control for the volume of the radio has changed the station on two occassions rather then adjust the volume. Anyone know what might cause this?
  • baysyd1baysyd1 Member Posts: 1
    WOW, I've had this same problem (only times though since purchase in Oct). Took to the dealer & cant replicate, they think it is the engine revving down. I think they think I dont know what I am talking about. Please keep me posted.

J
  • pats1pats1 Member Posts: 36
    I have had a lot of problems with my 2005 6-speed automatic transmission in 17K miles. They've replaced the throttle body and reflashed the computer 4 times. It's still not right. So much for getting something the first year it's offered. They say that they have no fix and Tech Services is working on it. This is very frustrating. They will not likely offer you an extended warranty because they'll have to pay for it out of their profit from paying customers. (They make zilch on warranty work.) If you can get one out of them, let me know.

Good luck.
    I just returned from the dealer with a cabin filter change. With tax it cost $46.34 parts and labor. Just wondering, did I get a special deal, or is this what it costs at most Mazda dealers?
  • gmcjoegmcjoe Member Posts: 11
    I've got a feeling you were charged about the going rate. If you think you paid too much, next time you might consider changing it yourself. The filter (Mazda part # GK3J-61-148) can be had for about $25. After removing the glove box door, you can replace the old one in about 5 minutes. There are a couple of Mazda6 "tech" forums out there where you may find the entire procedure with pictures.
    I thought I was charged to little, believe it or not. Somewhere I heard that the labor and parts were around $100. Not sure where I got that info, but I was happy when I paid what I did. Next time I will do the job myself, maybe.

The breakdown was the filter cost $29.00 and the Labor $10.00 and Freight $5.00.
  • kaos14kaos14 Member Posts: 3
    I had a new windshield installed on my '04 Mazda 6 Sport Wagon S too.....it looks like when they install the replacement it "sits" too close to the dash board at the bottom left and right......I installed (pressed in between the windshield and dash) 2 rubber spacers on the left/right dash areas and rattle is gone.....
  • groundhog3groundhog3 Member Posts: 1
    I own a mazda6 2004 model. The volume on the radio goes up by itself very annoying. Does anyone else have this problem. If so how did they fix it. Please help.
    There is a feature on the radio called something like "auto level 1 / 2 / 3 " It turns up the volume automatically when you speed up the car. Check if yours is on. You can cancel auto level if you like.