Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda6 Maintenance and Repair

maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
Since Karen is going through all the trouble to set all these up, I'll chime in.

It seems that I have an exhaust leak coming from the manifold to pipe/converter on my 6. It sounds a little like a 75 corolla at times. Being that I've been driving it regardless, I bet I already toasted the gasket so that will need replacement.

Comments

• maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Washed it on Saturday.
  • ashutoshsmashutoshsm Member Posts: 1,007
    is on a roll!
    Problem: I let a co-worker drive my 6 back from lunch. Still in the parking stall she popped the clutch in 4th thinking she had it in reverse. image She bumped the car in front of me which was an older white corolla (I'm on a roll with this corolla thing). No harm done, but the rest of the drive I was wondering why I offered to let her drive it. she drives a Miata so it's not like a stick is a foreign thing to her.

Solution: I'll keep my keys.

• washdcm6erwashdcm6er Member Posts: 6
    Sounds like your MPG is too low. Well I've been averaging around 20 mpg in 70% city, 30% hwy driving. Was hoping for a little higher but as long as I can drive 300 miles between fillups I'm satisfied. I guess it's the price of driving a V6...I had a Honda Accord 4 cyl. prior to this car.
  • rodlcwrodlcw Member Posts: 45
  • mike1770mike1770 Member Posts: 20
    washed mine yet! (Been washed by the dealer twice.) I'll do it this weekend for sure.

I've been following the "5w-20, good or bad" discussion for awhile. Are you guys planning to use the recommended 5w-20 in your 6's? I'm not sure I trust the lighter weight oil, but I also don't want any warranty disputes, either. I'll probably use the 5w-20 for at least the first couple of changes; after that I'm not sure.
  • coakleysdcoakleysd Member Posts: 32
    I found out during all the snow here in the northeast that the snow accumulates in the space between the rear glass and trunk lid. As the temp. rises the snow melts causing the water to leak onto items in your trunk.

It's a minor problem as long as it doesn't snow too much.
  • stretchsjestretchsje Member Posts: 700
    Mine is very, very dirty. It's no longer redfere metallic- it's more like redfire/salt marble. On the bright side, the '6 does well in snow.
    I had a rattle that sounded as if it were coming from the dash. It took me a week to find, as it was very sporatic, even though it was prominent when it would happen. Anyway, turns out it was the sunglasses holder. I had not opened it since I bought the car, and once I did, it went away. Go figure.

This rattle was extremely annoying when it happened, and I noticed it on a different '6 that I had test-driven earlier too.

I also recently hit the biggest pothole I think I've ever hit in any car. It sounded like the sheet metal on the right side of the car slammed the ground and fell off, but the car still feels correctly alligned and I noticed no scraping as if the car had bottomed out. Whew.

This car has some serious handling, but boy did that pothole scare the crap out of me for a while.
  • go2natego2nate Member Posts: 6
    (I posted this problem in a prevous post, but I thought I add it in here to get more feedback)

The only problem I'm having so far is a strange (almost burning like smell) that comes the inside of the car's compartment. Has anyone else had this problem? Our salesman said it some kind of coating that sprayed on the engine, or under the motor, and that it will go away after I break it in (it only has about 100 miles).

Only time will tell how reliable this vehicle is but I'm hoping for the best. Give me some feedback on how you feel about your purchase, problems, or concern with your vehicle. In the meantime, let's enjoy our zoom, zoom, feeling.
  • mazda6smazda6s Member Posts: 1,901
    cosmolene
    Check out www.toughguard.com.
    This stuff is guaranteed to last for 3-5 years.
    Went from 4" of snow a few days ago to 60+ degree weather today. I gave the car a bath and put Rain-X on the windshield. I recommend the stuff- it's as important to me as wipers.

Thanks for the link on toughguard. I've never used it, so of course I'm skeptical. I'm looking for 3rd party information on it as I write this. It looks like it could be a worthwhile product.
  • morse3morse3 Member Posts: 5
    Yes, I've noticed that weird smell too and I have 200 miles on my 6i. I hope it will go away soon. Hate think I got a lemon.

I noticed some vibration noise coming from cabin roof when I drive with the moon roof open. I am guessing the wind flows into that moon roof compartment and rattles something. Anyone else have the same problem?

Also, my friend pointed out to me that my back seat which is leather rubs against the door and will produce a rubbing sound. Strange.

I like my car. Hopefully, it is reliable. Any 6 owners in Houston? I haven't seen any on the street except for mine :0
  • myphantom6myphantom6 Member Posts: 20
    I'm in Houston and I haven't seen any on the road either. Ain't if fun being one of a kind?
  • ruefusruefus Member Posts: 254
    I've spoken to the guy that owns Toughguard. They've been in business for over 20 years, so if it doesn't work, this guy is REALLY good at smoke and mirrors.

Take a look at this site for discussions on Toughguard: http://www.goonish.com/atenza/index.php

A couple people including the moderator have used it on their cars and simply love it.
  • charlie_crcharlie_cr Member Posts: 5
    Hi!

My car is bound to get here any minute, but I'm really worried about the leather care... is there any place online with a manual and recommendations on good products for that?

Best Regards!
    Carlos Ch.
    I have the 6s with AT and was ok for first 10 days, then the manual shifter mode started "sticking" as I shift between gears. It takes awhile or I have to push it back to center. Dealer had the National Mazda Training rep there, and he had no idea. After they looked at it, and I don't know they did anything, it seemed to work ok for another day or so, and start "sticking" again.
    They are researching. Has anyone else seen this?

They are also getting replacment parts for the eyeglass holder as it sticks, and the fusebox cover falls off.
  • bkg0326bkg0326 Member Posts: 2
    Just purchased a Mazda 6 and really enjoy the car. I am looking for a recommendation on rustproofing since I live in a cold climate area where we aren't bashful with the use of street salt. I keep vehicles a long time and think I should take to Ziebart or equivalent. Some manufacturers suggest that you don't rustproof. I called Mazda, they deferred the recommendation to the Dealer. Any commments and recommendations?
  • drmzdrmz Member Posts: 2
    if water from accumulated snow along the trunk/rear window ledge melts into the trunk compartment, what will rain do??

Curious if others can confirm the leak problem reported earlier...
  • mazdamarlamazdamarla Member Posts: 350
    I never rustproofed my '91 MX-6 when i got it. I still have it, and there are just TINY TINY little spots of rust on the trunk lip and by the bottom of my doors.

My husband, on the other hand, bought a '88 Nissan truck and had it rust-proofed, and it didn't make a whit of difference. By the time he sold it last year it was more rust than paint and the passenger-side door handle fell out because of all the rust around it. :D

He had his truck for 13 years, and I've had my Mazda for 10 years. I live in Michigan, and we use PLENTY of road salt.

Personally, I wouldn't do it. If you're worried about rust, just take your car to a carwash once a week (the do-it-yourselfers) and spray it off to get rid of all the crap. :)

Just my own 2-cents.
    I wouldn't have it 'rustproofed' I've never heard anything but BAD things about that. If the rustproofing traps even a little water (like what remains after a good washing) and all you've done is accelerate the process, not prevent it. Plus, they have to drill holes to apply it - the holes themselves will eventually rust, I don't care what anyone tells you.

My suggestion? Electrostatic Corrosion Control. Two Guys Garage did a piece on this a few weeks back -

http://www.twoguysgarage.com/site/presection.php?PreID=118&Se- - gID=282

It may look like bunk, but it isn't. I've worked with a public company (Corrpro in Medina, OH), who's sole purpose in life is to provide this kind of corrosion protection for pipelines, ocean-going ships and the like. Millions of dollars at stake and this is the 'rust-proofing' method companies choose.

Applying it to automotive is a piece of cake. I'm waiting for a quote to get a system, but if I go with any rust protection, this is it.
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    Hmm. Not sure about that on the 6 (never checked), but I know on the Protege, if you look under the car and in the wheel wells, you'll see what appears to be sprayed-on rubber (looks very rough and heavily textured...gives a little if you press a fingernail into it). Also, on the sedans (not the P5, with its lower side sills), the lower 5-6 inches of the doors have been coated with a soft material so they look more "orange-peely" than the rest of the panels. This is to help protect against stone chips. Look for these tell-tale signs on your 6.

I think enough rustproofing is now done at the plants these days. Unlike in the early years (70s, early 80s), most cars are made with anti-corrosion coatings on BOTH sides of the sheet metal. Many cars also come from the factory with underbody coatings (to reduce noise and provide some protection against stone chipping etc.), which includes wheel wells. In addition, some vehicles also have the lower parts of sheet metal parts coated with a vinyl layer beneath the paint, to provide further protection against stone chips and rust.
  • bkg0326bkg0326 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks everyone for your thoughts on rustproofing. I think I will pass on it. I am interested in the " Electrostatic Corrosion Control". I don't think I will go with that as an option, but I'm interested in the science of it. It brings back memories of a College Chemistry of Materials Course. Too bad I didn't have the idea, I can see where the application could work. Thanks again everyone.
    Ok, so this post is a little self-serving, but it's a good idea anyway.

There is a company called Kleen Wheels that makes a special dust-shield wheel insert to keep brake dust off the rims. It also safely covers the internals of the wheel so that as the car ages, the corrosion on the rotor, caliper and suspension components aren't visible to everyone, maintaining the appearance.

The problem: Kleen Wheels doesn't have a dust-shield to fit the 6 right now. When I called yesterday, he said I was the first person to ask for it and it'd be sometime in Spring before he'd have anything at all. He was stunned Mazda had a car with 17's.

I've never used them on one of my cars, but I'm going to get a set for my 6s. I knew about these because my Father used a set for his Enkei's and they worked just great.

If you're interested in getting a set for your car, please give Kleen Wheels a call or email them a request. If demand is present, I'm sure they'll tool up that much sooner, which helps those of us interested.

Depending on the source, pricing for existing models has ranged from $40 to $70 for a set of four.

Kleen Wheels phone - 800-327-6548

Email - kleen90519@aol.com
    He was stunned Mazda had a car with 17's.

He's been asleep for a couple years I guess.

I've always wondered what those kleen wheels do for air flow around the rotors. It would seem that over heating brakes might be a concern. Have you ever had any trouble with that ruefus?
    The covers are vented to pull air in. When you think about it, a vented cover is no worse than a steel wheel with a hubcap on it, so there should be no problem.

As for Mazda's with 17's - he said he barely ever gets calls for Mazda's anymore. Years ago they covered the entire line, but not recently.
    It's rare that Mazda has wheels worth keeping clean. Some of the ugliest alloys I've seen come on Mazdas.

I didn't know they were vented, thx.
    I have experienced the same problem. I posted (Post #3)it on this forum a while back. I am also experiencing dampness in the rear right passenger foot rest area. Will take it to the dealer next week to get checked out.
    Mazda National Training person was at my Dealer last week. He has done some research and I am told that 4-5 others have reported same problem.
    I will be taking it in next Tuesday for them to fix.
  • musiclawyermusiclawyer Member Posts: 20
    I wish to take my new 6s to a professional tint shop to tint the the rear passenger windows a bit for my kids. What do you think is a fair price. I'm new to this and don't want to get ripped off.
    I wouldn't pay more than $125-150 for good tint.
  • jason777jason777 Member Posts: 56
    I just test drove the gs V6 and I noticed a humming noise coming from the dash while the car was idle.

Anyone experience this.

I ordered the car any way because it is so nice.

Jason.
    a buzzing? Rattling? I had a problem with the sunglasses holder making noise, even though I swore the sound was coming from the dash and/or the passenger's side.

Open it. Close it. No more noise.
    No this noise was like the noise you here coming from a noisey flurescant light.

Jason.
    I've been quoted 150-170 here in Ohio. But that was without the actual car sitting there.
    he was asking about the rear 3 windows.

I'll probably get mine done in a month or so and then I'll know for sure.
  • dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    I have this with 35% all around on ALL my windows. I was worried about making it look too dark, but 35% is the lightest tint and it works well on ALL windows. At night, you can barely tell you have tints on.

Dinu
    Are there no problems with the car at all?

Jason.
  • anibus99anibus99 Member Posts: 3
    i've had my 6 for a week and a half now, and the only problem i had was with the sunglasses holder (which is a nice touch btw). i pressed it and it stuck, had to be pryed open a little bit, then it started rattling as i was driving. later i opened and closed it about 20 times and now it doesn't rattle at all. it also opens smoothly and automatically.
    my sunglass holder hangs up, but I don't use it as my sunglasses don't fit in there. :(

I use the compartment on the top of the dash instead.
    Either there haven't been many of these cars sold or they are very reliable.

I was told the 626 was very reliable.

Jason.
  • r2s2r2s2 Member Posts: 93
    I don't think many are buying yet. I've driven three cars and liked them, but none have had the packages/features/colors I wanted. And now mazdausa.com says the Sport Package won't be available until April. At this rate, probably be Summer or later before Mazda gets things figured out. Has the company forgotten how to market cars in the past 10 desperate years?
    Nope, just nothing to be said. I've had the sunglasses holder rattle, that's it. Dealer should take care of it. The car feels extremely solid.
  • oywhatnextoywhatnext Member Posts: 9
    Call me crazy but sometimes I like to start out in 2nd gear. According to the manual, you should be able to do this but I find that sometimes the lever will not allow me to select "2" - it just stays at "1". Anyone else experience this?
  • aardog21aardog21 Member Posts: 3
    I took my new 6S back to the dealer because the factory had not installed the switches for the seat heaters, this was a quick fix but I also mentioned to the maintenance manager that there was an annoying rattle coming from what sounded like the rear of the car. This rattle doesn’t happen all of the time and is not speed specific, to me it sounds like a metal vibration and my wife said it sounds like aluminum siding rattling (short inconsistent bursts). After almost a week and going over the car with a fine tooth comb the manager is still stumped. At first we thought it was the spoiler and then the sunroof, and have checked several other places. Could this be the infamous sunglass holder rattle that I have read about? Did the people who have encountered this rattle know where it was coming from or did it sound like something from the rear or overhead in the car?

In answer to the leak problem; I had to leave the 6 out in the rain a couple of times but did not notice any wet spots in the car.
    So you guys think that the Mazda 6 is going to be a reliable car?

Jason.
    I think it'll be more reliable than the Protege, only because the '6 has the benefit of more modern design (good thing?). The Protege is very reliable.
    1. sunglass Holder was sticking, Dealer made adjustment and resolved.

2. Fuse Cover falls off. Cover on backorder and Mazda says they had problem with person who was installing at factory was breaking them.

3. Automatic Shift lever. Making noise like plastic catching on something when moving from Park to Drive etc. In Manumatic the lever would stick. Dealer found out from Mazda they had 5 other reports of this and that factory had forgot to put the lubricant in. Seems to be resolved.

4. THE WORST! Transmision leaking!
        Have Rental Car and waiting for them to tell
        me what they are going to do!

Hey, but I do get to drive a nice 2003 Camry LE!!!
    When I put some weight on the arm rest (often- since my arms rests comfortably there between shifts), the top plastic latch can squeak from the pressure. When going over bumps, my arm shakes on the rest, creating a noise almost like a muted cricket. So, that and my sunglasses holder make a sporatic noise. It should be two easy fixes, if I ever get around to visiting the dealer.