Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda6 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• roughlyrightroughlyright Member Posts: 5
    Well, I went to a Houston dealer today to check out the 6s, sticker prices, and see what kind of crap dealer add on packages they have stuck on these(and hopefully find one without that stuff) Of course I found an 03 6s with all the options I wanted. It sticked at about 26k. Of course there was some SEAL package for $1500 that didn't appear to have done anything, so good news is they will probably just take it off, whatever it was. The dealer was closed so it gave me an opportunity to really look around without being bothered. But naturally the cars are locked. Well none of the 03's were locked. I sat in the s model looked great, leather was nice, I liked the layout. However before I went to the dealer I have been reading about this rust thing so of course I look..and guess what... rust all over the front doors under the weather stripping. I kept looking around and found no others with the options I wanted..6s, stick, leather, bose...but all the 03's were open and they all had rusty doors.. they were also June builds from Flat Rock. One of the vin's was m48664, which I thought was supposed to be out of the range. Oh well I guess I'll wait till they price the 04's better or find the source of this rust issue. Man, I really liked the car though. As I type this I'm thinking.. huh..I wonder if they will give me a better deal on a rust vehicle...but what am I thinking it's rust it might as well be cancer. I sure hope they find out this rust thing is really not a big deal so that I can by the car I want at a good price but I doubt it, it definitely had rust not just staining. Weird thing was there was a bunch of rust spots where the license plate goes. any way sorry for the long post about my whole experience I really just wanted to post the vin if anyone was curious
  • seafseaf Member Posts: 339
    It's sad to see so many 03 MZ6's in the lots with rust. I wonder if these were the leftover ones after the customers picked out the non-rusted cars.
  • musiclawyermusiclawyer Member Posts: 20
    I started noticing a very small puddle of pink fluid under my 6s (under the hood, driver's side toward the front). No more than 10-15cc's The lighting is poor where I keep the car, so it's not clear to me what's leaking. It's there every morning for the last few days. I'm taking it to the shop in a few days. What could be leaking? No problems otherwise 11k miles after purchase.
  • ashutoshsmashutoshsm Member Posts: 1,007
    The coolant!

Check the level (locate the tank based on your manual, or prior knowledge!). Top it up (based on the recommendation for appropriate coolant in the manual - the type escapes me right now) and take it in pronto if you notice the leak or a reduction in level again. If its overflow, you're ok - if not, I imagine they should check the system for leaks etc.
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    learn something new everyday. I wonder if it's long life, or if it's just pink. I guess I could look in the owner's manual...

Another pink fluid that it might be is automatic transmission fluid. Do you have an automatic?
    ... maybe its rust? Leaking out from under the car now, eh Todd? :)
  • dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    Regular coolant is light green and long-life is pink - usually.

Other manufacturers have used and maybe still use other colours (GM orange and VW/Audi blue come to mind). It's important to check this (with your dealer and in your manual and obviously in the coolant overflow bin and radiator) and not assume that green will do it on every car.

Dinu
    That's why I was wondering if it's pink for the sake of being pink (like Toyotas) or if it was a version of Dex-Cool long life coolant. Remember, I used to work at J-lube? Haven't had a chance to look in the owner's manual yet. I'm hoping it's regular, because that dex-cool stuff is expensive.
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    The cost of the coolant shouldn't be an issue since it's still under warranty. You shouldn't have to top it off.
    I recommended a 'diagnostic' topping up, and then some attention to the level over the next few days/miles. Any leak SHOULD be addressed with a service call!
    it's not my car that's leaking

Oh yeah, if it turns out to be transmission fluid, when you top it off, don't forget to leave the car idling in park. After you check the fluid and add (if needed), run the transmission through the gears (with your foot on the brake) and check it again. Don't overfill it......next, go to the dealer.
  • chalspachalspa Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 2003 6 with sport package, it has a black interior. I've noticed that when I clean the the door panels or the black around the dashboard, the black seems to wipe off and it leaves it white, as if the paint comes off, almost like salt stains. nothing I've tried has removed the white. If you clean it, it appears to go away, but the white returns when it drys. Has anyone else found any product to clean/remedy this? If so, please let me know the name of the product, and where I could purchase it from. Thanks.
    Have been known to work. I haven't tried any of those myself.

Detailing discussion forums exist here and elsewhere - ask the experts!

I have a grey interior in mine, and this also exhibits the same staining on door materials. Wiping with a damp cloth, then Armor All (paper) has done the trick for me. Some of them are more stubborn!
    I don't use anything but water on my black interior PRO ES since Armor All and similar products shine too much and Windex-type products with cleaning detergents fade plastics.

Dinu
  • coakleysdcoakleysd Member Posts: 32
    Don't use detergents or polishes like armor all
  • heyjoe11heyjoe11 Member Posts: 20
    A young lady hit my rear passenger side wheel last night and now it's out of alignment. I was wondering if anyone knows what the alignment limitations are on the rear wheels. The problem feels like the toe in is off. I wonder if the toe in is even adjustable on the rear of the mz6. There may be some bent suspension parts in there and I just want to make sure any repair gets the alignment and suspension back to a new state. Thanks for any comments
  • buck40buck40 Member Posts: 7
    I own a Mazda6s, purchased in late September, and I have rust/staining on all 4 doors, but no other evidence of rust. I went to the dealer yesterday to discuss this problem with the service manager, hoping to schedule a date for the “fix”. I was surprised to find that mine is the first car taken to this dealership with the problem, and the service manager seemed only vaguely aware that this problem existed. She asked me if I knew whether Mazda had come up with a “fix”, and I informed her of the TSB.

I have a few thoughts. First, I am not sure that this rust issue will be catastrophic, as many have suggested. It may well be, but it may also be a relatively simple problem to address – time will tell. For those of you who work or have worked in the industry, are you surprised that the service manager was not aware of this problem? Are there so many TSBs coming across their desks that they do not automatically read them all – or scan them, at least? I would have thought that Mazda USA would have publicized this issue to the dealers fairly heavily. I told her that there was LOTS of information about the rust/stain on the internet (thank goodness!!)

I was also surprised that no one else had presented to this dealer with this problem. I live in a major metropolitan area and this is a very busy dealership. Either this problem is not as widespread as the newsgroups make it appear, or else there are numerous owners who have not yet learned to look under their weather stripping. I asked the service manager to look around the lot to see if they had any cars with rust/stain and consider “practicing” the fix on one of their cars before doing mine – she’s going to investigate and call once she has a plan to propose.

Finally, for those of you considering the purchase of a Mazda6, I am very happy with the car, despite the concern over the rust/stain. It is a blast to drive, and I could find no other car to match its performance/fun-to-drive/cost ratio. It’s a great car.
  • jstandeferjstandefer Member Posts: 805
    Since this is a TSB and not a recall, there may be thousands of owners out there with the problem that are not aware. None of us would have been aware until an owner looked under his weatherstripping and noticed it. For the most part it is not visible and will not get noticed unless someone informs them of it. If it truly is rust, most owners won't find out about it until it is too late.
  • arockwelarockwel Member Posts: 33
    Were you the one who was going to have an independent lab to tests, etc. to determine it is truly rust? If so, what is the status of that?
    I am the one. The tests have been delayed, maybe indefinitely. There is the issue of raising money for the tests and it would be hard now that there is a sense of complacency with most of the owners that have the staining and a sense of hostility with some of the owners that don't have the staining. Plus, the number of test subjects is rapidly decreasing as more and more owners are getting the fix. There is nothing to sample once the staining is cleaned and the sash cavity sealed off. It appears Mazda's fix is satisfying the vast majority... great for Mazda. For us, the results are unknown.

Perhaps when the holidays are over we'll make an effort to raise the money and get the tests... right now, most people are focusing on holiday shopping and preparations, and money is tighter.
  • cop414cop414 Member Posts: 68
    Anyone-
    My 6 is back to the dealer for the 4th time in 2 months. The front brakes squeal loudly when going at low speeds while turning. They've installed a "kit", replaced boots, reallinged the shield, all to no avail. I also have an intermittant front wheel hop/shudder when starting out. I can't duplicate it, but when it happens it feels like the front wheels are going to shake off of the car. This might happen several times in one day, then not again for a week. Hot or cold, turning or straight, doesn't matter. I had the wheels rotated and balanced-no change. The car tracks and stops straight. I, as well as the service manager are at a loss. We both thought that maybe the two problems may be connected?
    A factory rep will be looking at the car tomorrow. I thought that I remembered a long time ago a post(s) about improper torquing of some front end parts. Any ideas? I'd like to be able to call them in the AM if anyone remembers this. (sorry about spelling-in a hurry)
    Thanks in advance.
    PS Just a little bit of rust in the "notched" part of the door frame.
    There have been several cases where the front suspension subframe was not torqued correctly. However, the main symptom of this is vehicle wandering and is initially diagnosed as an alignment or tire problem.

Does your 6 have a manual tranny? The 3rd Gen Protege (99-03) had a similar problem, but only during cold take-offs. The problem is clutch chatter caused by certain materials in the flywheel and clutch cover. A TSB was released calling for the replacement of both parts with new revised parts. If your dealership can replicate the problem, replacing the clutch disc (or flywheel and clutch cover) might be in order to rectify. Here is a link to that TSB:

Protege TSB MT000003848
  • mazdajkmazdajk Member Posts: 28
    As a person that has been watching this whole rust problem for months now and have become concerned at the lack of unity with all of you,I was going to purchase a Mazda 6 until this problem surfaced.The "Fix" is a bandaid placed on a major wound.If 4DoorZoom is not going to give all of you the means to unite and find out exactly what is going on inside your doors,someone better.Mazda has not gotten my money and won't until this problem is solved.Simple facts! Rust stains come from RUST!The stain can be removed but if the metal where the rust is is not addressed, the rust will never sleep!The Mazda 6 is a beautiful car and drives like a dream for the price.What good is all that if your doors fall off in three years.It's up to all of you, Mazda will pick you apart if they can take you on one at a time.
  • chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    why would you want to sink $$$$ in a test when you can do a preliminary test to ascertain whether that yello-orange stain is rust or as mazda claims simply pink soap turning orange?
    If that preliminary test comes back positive, then go for the $$$$ test.

my 2 cents.
  • coakleysdcoakleysd Member Posts: 32
    I have the same problem and I have made some posts to the board concerning those problems. I've had my car since 2 Jan 03 and it has been 5 months, numerous visits, and no luck getting it fixed. If I didn't like the car so much I would have sacked it by now. The loud squeal only happened when I made a hard left turn under 5mph, now it does it while turning right as well. It's soooo embarrasing when you pull into a parking lot space and everyone is checking your fine ride out and this loud annoying squeal f's it all up. The knocking noise in the front suspension occurs off and on especially when going over speed bumps that have a high face. My checjk engine light stays on. I've had the CPU reset and it's back on. My baby will be at the dealer for a while in the next week. If problems persist, I'm considering getting rid of it. I can't use all my leave spending time at the dealer. Still a nice car though.
  • arockwelarockwel Member Posts: 33
    Exactly. It seems to be rust based on the pics I've seen. But, I haven't read any definitive proof that the staining is, in fact, rust related.
    Actually, that does make a lot of sense. I will look into cheap tests that anyone can purchase and use. On my car, there is no doubt that it is rust with the rusty sheet metal visible along a few edges and the paint flaking away. The tests need to be conducted on cars with the much more common staining. I'll research and post where owners can get the tests. Thanks.
  • chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    jstandefer-
    I called my service manager this morning-he told me that they were aware of the subframe problem, and that they check every 6 that come into the shop and that so far they have found only one that was not done right at the factory. He told me that mine has been checked. I also told him about the clutch problem with the pro-he knew about this also, and think he was telling the truth as I let him talk about it after I mentioned it and he told me the correct info according to the TSB-I call back tomorrow AM to see how they made out.

coakleysd-
    I agree 110%. Go to any fast food drive thru with your window down-the squeal resonates off the building making it twice as bad. Someone posted a while back about a co. having aftermarket front pads for the six, I checked the site and they do exist. If I remember right they ran about 60.00 for the pair. They are supposed to reduce the dust issue. If this fix doesn't work I think I'll just order them and have my local shop install them. I'll look thru the posts and re post with the one that has the site on. My dealer is 45 min away, so I travel 1,5 hours 4-5 times so far, it would be much less frustrating to just put the aftermarket pads on and leave it at that.
  • musiclawyermusiclawyer Member Posts: 20
    ok. my local mechanic confirmed that I have a small leak bottom drivers side of radiator. 13k on the car now. So I've made an appointment with a dealer next week. It's not the dealer who sold me that car. ( He's 2 hours away. ) This local dealer should honor the warranty, right? I take it I should demand a new factory radiator, regardless of how small the leak is, rather than some quick fix, right? I'm really apprehensive about dealer service deparments, never having had to use one. Should I call the day before and make sure they have a factory radiator on hand? Thanks
    coakleysd-
    Go to brakeworld.com- they stock Rotex kevlar/metallic front and rear pads for the 6. They say it virtually elimates brake dust and reduces squeal.
    Has anyone out there tried these. I'm looking to get rid of the squeal, but dust free pads on the front for my car would be fantastic.
    I know there are lots of complaints out there about the dust. Anyone want to be a guinea pig for these pads??
    Your warranty will be honored at any Mazda dealership in the U.S. If there is a leak in the radiator itself, they will replace with a new radiator. However, the chances of them having a radiator in stock is pretty slim. They will have to order it, but they won't do that until they see the car and verify the problem. Sorry... looks like two trips for you.
    On another board, it was said by a reliable source that Mazda is aware of the clutch chatter on the 6. In fact, this has been a recent problem (past 5 years) on all of their vehicles. Mazda is working on a TSB and redesigned parts to cure the chatter. In the mean time, just slip your clutch with higher-than-normal throttle during cold take-offs.
    jstandefer-
    I picked it up this morning. Here's the story. The service manager drove my car all day yesterday-he said once or twice he thought he could "kind of" feel what I was talking about. They brought the car in, rechecked all possible bolts and found all to be okay. He tells me that the rep has it noted in my file and then gave me an invoice copy with the reps name stating that they will give me a 5 year, 75,000mi warranty on the clutch and related parts. If it get worse just bring it in and they'll fix it. (Sounds to me like the rep knows that a TSB is coming out soon-this keeps me quiet for now) I guess that I'm somewhat satisfied with that.
    The brake squeal is another story. He told me that he really didn't think that the problem was with the pads, HOWEVER, he "sanded" them and applied brake quiet, and it seemed to help. I don't quite understand that if he didn't think it was the pads, then why did he alter them. Kind of like me going to the ER and the doctor telling me that the blood dripping from my hand is probably not from the gash in my palm, but we'll stitch it up anyway. Hmmm, sounds a bit incompetent to me. The brakes still squeal when turning with light pedal pressure. Not quite as bad though, which cemented my decision to order the kevlar pads. I just ordered them from brakeworld. I'm not sure if I'll install them or have my local shop do it. It's been a long time since I've turned a wrench. If that doesn't fix the problem, at least these pads are supposed to be pretty much dust free. Then what I'll have is "squeaky clean" wheels. (Sorry, couldn't resist)
    BTW could you email me the "other board" with the reference to the clutch problem. cop414@hotmail.com
    Thanks for your help-I'll keep you posted on the new pads.
    Just came back from a Mazda dealer (Dufferin Mazda).

The 2 silver 6s in the showroom had rust without a doubt. This wasn't a stain the metal was affected and it couldn't be rubbed-off. The Yellow and blue ones didn't - I couldn't see it. The black one had it, but it was extremelly hard to notice it.

I can't describe the feeling when you see it in person - it's like a major let-down. Let's just say that I started checking the Mazda3s the had inside too.

Dinu
    Just read your post and hope you can give more details.What city ,state,country were they located? What year and build dates were involved?

I also was at a dealer a few weeks ago and test drove and inspected a 04' Sepang Green.There was some discoloration in the seam areas around the doors.This car had a build date of 10/03.It had only been exposed to the elements for 6 or 7 weeks! If the problem "Has been resolved",and If the cars you inspected have newer build dates,whats up?

Do you own the Mazda 6 yet, or are you still looking? My concern, while feeling bad for the owners with this problem,is weather this is affecting recently built cars.I would love to buy a Mazda 6 but I am scared to *#%@ of ending up with the same delema.

Please !! More details !!

John
    Milwaukee,Wis. U.S.A
  • liquid0715liquid0715 Member Posts: 5
    i posted several pages back at this point....im totally confused and w/everything im reading about this topic, i became so paranoid and disgusted w/my car that i think im begining to start a brain tumor......my car had one questionable spot in the rear passenger side door by the door sash.....it was one tiny spot but it doesnt seem like rust but there is some sort of paint damage....now today i noticed that there are two more questionable spots developed but they are like strips now rather than spots in the same door by the door sasshes...the only thing i was able to stick in there was a business card tip and when i did redpaint came out....my car;s color happens to be redfire so it is to my understanding that it is very difficult to analyze my paint;s color....im very concerned and like everyone else i love driving this car but i hate this whole topic that seems like one very nasty nightmare.....my car is out of the vin range but yet it was build in 7/03 and frankly i dont think im comforted by the vin range since there are too many contradictions......im trying to be on mazda's side since i have been a very loyal mazda owner but at this point im very dissappointed and ready to throw up everytime i get out of the car......Mazda if you are reading this then u need to make this up to all of us in some shape or form, considering this was your come back car to the car industry....something as ridiculous as this is a horrible way to f*** up your reputation to make ur go back to the old drawing board.....im planing on takin my car to a body shop i trust as soon as i get a chance and i will post the results i get from him....because at this point i dont trust any mazda dealers.....although i sincerely doubt it is rust, because i feel that the whole process is too quick for a new car to take effect....it is apparent that something is not right and the reason this car is such a nice vlue is because mazda went cheap in the paint dept and concentrated on everything else.....
    I'm in Toronto. I'm looking for a Mazda3 by Sept 2004, but I, like many here, love the 6 and is dissapointed with the fact that Mazda screwed up a great car.

It's the first time I actually saw rust on the 6 in person and had to post - it's one thing when yuou see it on the net, but when you see it in person it hits you.

Dinu
  • aromasaromas Member Posts: 314
    When you see the rust in person then you understand how moronic some people are when they say it's just stains. They obviously have not seen a case in person. Apparently the Ford F150 had a similar problem for several years in the late 90's and people who discovered badly rusting doors after it was too late(i.e. after warranty) were simply told "sorry pal, you're out of luck". It's safe to assume Mazda will be using the same practice in the years to come. They need to buy time hence the cheezy fix.
    Any news on the seats for you?

Dinu
    Thanks for the reply.

At this point I think being patient is or best appraoch.I was going to wait until spring when all the salt is off the roads.Might hold off a little longer until I can get some straight answers from the dealer.When I asked the dealer here if this problem has eliminated he could not give me a definate answer.

At this point Mazda has a 5 year "Rust Through"corrosion warranty.Let me tell you from experence, a car that starts rusting looks pretty bad by the time the rust starts making it way all the way through the metal.They won't fix it until they see day light on the other side.I owned a 85" Pontiac Grand Am that looked like it was more rust than not.They would'nt do a thing about it because they deemed it as being surface rust.

liquid0715 I feel your pain! I've been There.

Dinu , be patient! All the rest of us need to do the same. Mazda is a good company and I have to believe they will stand by their product.I'm sure if they have not solved this problem at this point , they are working hard to do so.They stand to loose alot of money and reputation if they don't.It might take some time.Production changes if major,take time.

Good Luck if you buy one ! That *@$&in car rocks!
    It's killing me to wait,but wait I must!AAAaaaaa

John
    Dinu: The seats have been ordered but it sure took them a long time, should have then installed in the next few weeks but it will be the same seats not the new fabric they had initially said. I figure if they don't start fraying in the 1st year it should be okay. Next time you look at the 3 at Dufferin Mazda check out the vertical door channels on the silver hatch in the showroom if it's still there.You might see what I did, the paint job in the seam is as bad as my car and you know what happened there.
    Oh no.

Not the 3 too. I'll drop by next week and check it out.

Dinu
  • mazda6smazda6s Member Posts: 1,901
    Nah, they're made in two different factories, in two different countries.
    Yes they're made in two different factories, but what if, just what if the paint job on the 3 is "off", like in the 6???

I'd rather not think about it.

Dinu
    I don't care if the 3 was made in Outer Mongolia I saw what I saw and the paint application in the seams on the 3's back doors didn't appear to go deep into the cavity like it should. It looked sloppy like my 6 and wasn't a uniform application. Those vertical channels are where my doors are rusting the most. Only time will tell I guess but based on my experiences with my 6 I wouldn't advise anybody to buy the 3 until the 2nd year of production. I know I never will buy a 1st year model ever again. The potential headaches aren't worth it IMO.
  • jasksjasks Member Posts: 3
    I got a M6 (2.3 4 cyc Japan) a few months back and only notice the porblem after 10,000 km. Gone back to the dealer and had the problem checked and it turned out the steering column was incorrect fitted and required a 1/4 turn & refit of the lower joint shaft and a retension the column. I notice a few people in the forum experienced the similar issues. Just wondering if anyone else got the same problem?
  • jasksjasks Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone tried these "dust free" break pads ..?? are they any good ..??
    I ordered a set from brakeworld last friday-more for a squeal reduction than being dust free. I expect them to be here any day and will install them asap. I'll let you know.

See my posts on this board #'s 731, 733 & 736.

I don't really want to be the guines pig for this fix, but I can't stand the noise any more:(
  • 1wiseguy1wiseguy Member Posts: 120
    At the end of the day, Mazda's fix may work or it may not. If it works, great- I can move on and not think about it any more.

If it doesn't work and my car is plagued with unsightly "surface rust" and Mazda refuses to fix it because the metal is not perforated, there are other avenues to take.

There's nothing corporate America/Canada hates more than a class action suit. There's nothing corporate American/Canadian lawyers love more than class action suits. Be patient- if Mazda screws this up, they will be held accountable.