Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Mazda6 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• rampedramped Member Posts: 358
    My advice would be to find a 2005 6s wagon with the side airbags and negotiate your best deal. There are incentives on the 05s. Why buy a '04 vehicle that is almost two model years old for just a thousand or so less than the 05 will cost?
  • yesnoyesno Member Posts: 5
    I am negotiating between two dealers now. We seem to be at 22.5k now for the GT model with maybe a little more room. I know of only 2,000 incentives from Mazda and these two dealers are the only ones I have found that are advertising their own incentives in addition to the 2k. The 2004 is loaded which is why I am comparing it to the 2005 GT and I need at least the leather package because of my dog. I think I have been sufficiently scared away from the VW Passat although the salesperson says that the electrical and motor problems are behind them. I guess that would be a question for the VW forum.
  • cuspclubcuspclub Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 04 Mazda6 wagon earlier this month for $19,200. Not bad considering it stickerd for over $27,000. Sport Package, Leather, and Bose 6 Disc.

The dealer said I had to keep the Mazda loan for 90 days to keep that extra $1000 rebate, but when I called Mazda American Credit, they said I was free to refinance any time with no penalty because it was a simple interest loan.

I don't see how a dealership or Mazda could take away a rebate after all the paper work is signed and completed?

Are there any Mazda dealership people on the forum that could clear this up?
  • reechzreechz Member Posts: 50
    Mazda6- with Automatic Tranny 2.3 4 cylinder.

Smart buy-
    $0 down
    $246 / month- 35 months
    residual $9432-
    tax in NY is 8 3/4%

Have to wait till Tuesday to get the car (they had trade with another dealer) and only put $100 down (didn't sign any binding docs) so if I got ripped off I will eat the $100 and go elsewhere.

How did I do?
  • x10003qx10003q Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2004 6 w/v6/auto/all options except leather for 18.3. In the incentives it says that financing could be as low as 0%. How do I get this rate? My credit is clean.I am in NJ. TIA.
  • justflooritjustfloorit Member Posts: 8
    Nothing wrong with buying new 2004 vehicles with HUGE discounts. Like another post had already stated: the 04 already has a 1yr. DEPRECIATION. The 05's can be bought at or below invoice. The 05's have a 6sp ATX with slightly better MPG 20/27 and slightly faster acceleration (?) with the shorter gears. Nonetheless, Depreciation is only detrimental if one plans to resell within a few years.
  • yesnoyesno Member Posts: 5
    I decided on the 2005 GT Mazda6 wagon for 22k and bought it yesterday. I was the one that couldn't decide between the '04 Mazda6 wagon and '04 Passat wagon. I am happy with my purchase. Of course you always wonder if you could have done better but now that is behind me and I plan on enjoying my new speedy wagon. Thanks all for your advice.
  • jeff74jeff74 Member Posts: 6
    I know the 05's are selling under invoice but with the 06's here shortly would it be advantageous to wait awhile or pull the trigger now.
    Have fun with that wagon YESNO
  • mazda6smazda6s Member Posts: 1,901
    Rebates on the 05s are very likely to go up when the 06 model arrives on dealer lots. Since an 05 is almost a year old now, in another month or two the 05s will still be a year old, only with better rebates. :shades:
  • rampedramped Member Posts: 358
    I think you made a good decision. Enjoy that ride!
  • davis2davis2 Member Posts: 1
    I am really interested in the 05 mazda6 wagon, but very nervious I just got a new job as a teacher so I'm excited to buy my first car, but really want something that is going to last me a long time. I have a 92 honda accord with over 150,000 miles on it and it's still a wonderful car. my question to you is what do you think about these mazda's I know nothing about cars and want something that is going to last me for over 100,000 again. I have been looking at a chevi malibu hatchback, and the mazda and of course the malibu is much more affordable at around 21,000 after taxes. The price the other dealer quoted me for the Mazda said it was factory invoice at 24,826. with taxes and a rebate it will be 25430. is this good. I'm just very nervious about buying a car, and would love some advice that's not from a dealer :) thank you!
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    For my part, Mazda is a good choice. I have owned two previous Mazdas, a 323 and a 626, both went well over 150,000 miles (the 626 had 167000 on it when I sold it). I have had good luck with my Mazda6 so far -- about 7000 miles and no problems -- but of course, too soon to tell. You can probably negotiate a lower price. Price the car at Edmund's new vehicle site with the options you want, and that will give you a good idea what a good price should be. I think most people are getting under the invoice with the rebates, but those who have looked at '05s recently can give you more up to date information. Drive the Maxx and the Mazda; which do you like better and think you would want to have for a long time?
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • reechzreechz Member Posts: 50
    Look at the Mazda6 with the 4 cylinder.
    much cheaper and better on gas.
  • gussguss Member Posts: 1,167
    It kind of depends on what you are looking for. I have owned both(sort of) a 97 malibu sedan and an 04 mazda wagon.

The malibu was the first year it was out and had some typical first year problems , mainly steering rack and suspension. It did everything well but nothing great. Decent fuel economy in the v-6 and decent road handling. But certainly no sports car. The best part was the price of $15k back then , which is probably not a whole lot more now.

That said i like my mazda much more. It has much better road handling and the interior ergonomics are much more sporty. The gas mileage in the wagon , while not great is pretty good for a wagon with 220 horsies.But like you already know this will all cost you a little bit more. For me it would be worth it, but everyone is looking for something different.

Test drive them both for at least an hour each and see which one fits you the best.
  • mimazda6mimazda6 Member Posts: 9
    As a reference, I bought a 2004 6s sedan 6 weeks ago, and paid ~$7300 below sticker; that was with $4000 in rebates (and before taxes). Rebates on the 2005 6 were $2000 through yesterday, due to change today and not sure they have been updated yet.

I like the car a lot; no real problems yet. Minor issues are squeak in the instrument cluster and the titanium trim on the inside is awful for damage resistance (saw a black mark by door handle, thought something was on top of the paint, started rubbing to get it off and realized I was rubbing the titanium paint off the black substrate WITH MY BARE HANDS!; not such a minor issue, now that I think of it again!) :mad:

Good luck with your decision process.
  • viewmasterladyviewmasterlady Member Posts: 7
    We bought a 2006 6s Wagon for $20,000 out the door. That was with the moonroof, Bose system upgrade and lots of extras plus the dealer threw in the cargo mat and cargo box. They had to sell x amount of cars by the end of the day on 5/31 and the Mazda 6 counted for 2! This did include the trade if of our 1997 Windstar with 136K on it. They gave us $2,550 on that! Only worth about $1200. The list price on the Wagon was $26,855.

Great deal - IMHO

:blush:
  • gussguss Member Posts: 1,167
    the Mazda 6 counted for 2 :confuse:

Is that because it was a 2006 ? I did not know they were out yet, my local dealer is still advertising brand new 2004 wagons
    Nah, that was a typo :) Allowed one you know. :P
    It was a 2005 wagon the sport version. Sorry for the typo :D
  • yellowperilyellowperil Member Posts: 22
    Hi. Edmund's used car pricing doesn't have info for 2005 models, so i'm hoping you guys can help.
    2005 Mazda6 S hatchback, auto transmission, leather, moonroof, 6000 miles, being sold at a Honda dealership. Looks to be in great shape. Sticker price $24,500! With Mazda offering up to $2500 cash back in various forms, I think $24,500 is way too much, but I have no basis to form an offer. Would $20K be too much of a low-ball?
  • postoakpostoak Member Posts: 537
    What's all this talk about incentives? Edmunds shows no incentives of any kind on the Mazda6. :cry:
    Regarding the incentives--I found them on the Mazda website. $1500 cash back plus if financing through Mazda, another $1000. There was also a dealer who advertised these offers.

So--anyone help with my question? (See post 1153)
  • mimazda6mimazda6 Member Posts: 9
    No, $20K would be perfectly legit. You could buy that car new for $24,500. They'd probably tell you the car is $28K on the sticker, so the price is sensible. With today's competitive environment and rebates, sticker prices are irrelevant on all but the most in demand vehicles.
  • postoakpostoak Member Posts: 537
    Now when people here talk about buying below invoice are they taking into account the $1500 cash back or not?

For example, the s Grand Touring I'm interested in has an invoice price of $24,651. Do they mean it can be had below $23,151? If so, any idea of how *much* below?
    I wondered about that myself. I assume that people are saying that it is possible to get invoice or slightly less then invoice, then tack on the cash back. But someone had mentioned getting a loaded wagon for $20K--That's a crazy deal!

To Mimazda6: Thanks for your input.
    carsdirect.com had the incentives posted 4days ago. edmunds still hasn't updated their site.
  • m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    $20k seems about all I'd pay. The wagons aren't moving well I guess. They had one locally here with a $4,200 discount coupon they mailed me. Cars all lose value quickly, so spending $25 on a car which in a couple three year will be worth half that much doesn't make too much sense from a dollar invested stand point. Most I would ever pay for any regular car, like a Mazda or Ford, would be $20K. Used cars are so much better a deal, unless you get in on these really big discounts. They have sold Mazda6 cars for as low as $15,999 on close-outs and this current year, I have seen $16,999. They are great cars, but not worth $25K or more, out the door price. If I get a 2005 Mazda6 it will be 4 cylinder and a stick. Plenty of fun and cheaper on gas.
    Loren
  • retropiaretropia Member Posts: 41
    I'm familiar with Fitzgerald, who has dealerships in the D.C. area and Florida. They post actual, out-the-door prices, on their website. (Although their Mazda dealer just informed me that they include the $1,000 financing rebate in their prices, which I think is misleading . . . if you're paying cash or don't qualify for M.A.C. financing, then you can't get that particular rebate . . . but that's another story.)

Can anyone direct me to any other Mazda dealers that list actual, fixed prices on their websites? Location doesn't matter.

Thanks!
    It's your lucky day! I found the following dealership that actually posted prices!

http://mckinneymazda.com

Each new car has a web page that shows the MSRP, the pre-rebate selling price, and the post-rebate price. The dealer has a 2005 Mazda6s with everything I want (leather, auto, moonroof) for $24302 after $1500 rebate. Gosh--if I get Mazda financing, that will go down to $23302! But I don't like the color :mad:

Edit--LOL! Get a free barbecue accessory set "just for stopping by" the dealership! If only the car had an on-board grill . . .
  • cuspclubcuspclub Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know if Mazda has any type of Customer Loyalty rebates? And if so, are they stackable?
  • retropiaretropia Member Posts: 41
    Thanks . . . their pricing appears to be competitive. More shopping to do!
  • brian211brian211 Member Posts: 69
    I've received a quote on a Mazda6 Sportwagon, with luxury package, moonroof and Bose package. Msrp is 28,295. My price would be 23,500. With 6.9% financing. Is this a good deal? Never had a mazda. Seems steep compared to some other brands like honda or toyota. Does anyone have an opinion, should I counter offer or keep looking? I'm also concerned about the Ford Taurus engine. Kind of old technology. What do you say?
  • slickdogslickdog Member Posts: 225
    I'd say you're generalizing a bit too much by saying that the Mazda6 uses a Taurus engine. They both offer an engine based on the same Ford Duratec 3.0 (which evolved from a Porsche engineered design), but has been modified for higher performance by both Mazda and Jaguar in their applications (added VVT, more HP). Furthermore, Duratecs (of which there are several varieties) seem to be generally regarded as well designed, reliable engines and I doubt the 3.0 V6 design which bears that name could be considered as "old technology" since it has only been around for a few years. If you're interested in more details, Wikipedia has a nice writeup on the Duratec:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Duratec_engine

At any rate, if you were to drive both a Duratec 3.0 equipped Taurus and Mazda6, you would know right away how different the Mazda6 version of the engine really is, and the differences are good!
    this site is offering mazda 3's more than $1000 under MSRP. I wasn't aware of any special financing rebates on the 3 and best I have got has been about $250 under MSRP. what gives? :confuse: ">
  • yustasyustas Member Posts: 31
    Just checked price for 2005 Mazda6 4dr Sport Wagon s Grand Touring @ carsdirect. With incentives and destination charge, with roof side rails, rear spoiler, body color sport grill (?), rear bumper step plate and wheel locks the price-$24,200. Why with those options? They round the price to a nice number ;)
  • brian211brian211 Member Posts: 69
    I think you're saying I can do better. With the 2006's coming soon, I think I can get it lower. Apr not good either. Nissan and toyota and honda all have better aprs.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    when your comparing rates did you take into consideration the $1000 mac cash for financing? If you finance 20K at 3.9% for 60 it's essentially the same at 5.9% @ 60 months with the Mac cash rebate.....what model honda or toyota has 3.9% or better for 60 months????

2006's are still 2-3 months away..
  • quizguy66quizguy66 Member Posts: 10
    Just went through a trip to a dealership up here for a new Mazda6 as follows:
    Sport
    V6
    Auto Trans
    Moonroof Package

This gives a sticker of 26,140 (incl dest fee) and an invoice of 23,941

After some dickering, they offered just under $22k - with 5.9% rate financing for part of it. My bank offer is 6 3/4%. This number didn't change when I asked if I paid the whole thing cash, which I can do. The loan would be for 3 years, by the way and I'd put about 1/2 down.

They indicated no problem taking my trade, which has Very high mileage and mechanical issues, sight unseen (it's a 2k ford) - fixing the problems with this car would cost more than the book value of it when fixed.

Is $22,000 a good deal given the options (6 cyl, moonroof, auto)? Cars direct gives a cost of $22,311 with these option choices.

Should I try to get a break on an extended warranty, extending from the 4/50? What does a comprehensive 5/100-type plan run?

Thanks for any answers :) The other car I'm seriously considering is the Pontiac G6 (regular V6 trim), with similar options, which comes in at just over $20k before tax ('05 - with GM deal). They offer 1.9% financing FWIW for 3 years.

-QG
  • boston14boston14 Member Posts: 111
    I got my 05 S V6 stick shift leather for invoice and a 2100 rebate. I was there on a Wedsneday night. Basically I was given my choice of any mazda6 at invoice minus rebate. They told me its was midweek, slow and they needed to move them.
  • costello1costello1 Member Posts: 60
    A local dealer has 3 sedans with a "internet" price of $17978. They have the Bose -moonroof ,airbag , auto and convience packages on them . I am assuming the price includes the financing rebate and other rebates . MSRP is $23300 . Looks like a good price , any comments?? Thanks!!
  • pnfpnf Member Posts: 1
    Yes, but what was the invoice price?! Was it one that you got by research or one which the dealer quoted to you? The reason I ask is that it seems as though the invoice quoted on numerous research sites (even this one) is higher than the actual dealer invoice. Furthermore, a local Mazda dealer gave me his "invoice" price, and guess what ... it was higher than those listed on various research Web sites (e.g., Edmunds, NADA guides, etc.). So, what was your invoice price? Thanks.

I'm looking for a beginning bargaining price on a Mazda 6, 5-speed, no frills wagon. If anyone has actual and recent bargaining experience, I'd love to hear a hard number (if it helps, I'm in New Jersey). Again, many thanks.
  • craiglcraigl Member Posts: 12
    I just bought an '05 sport wagon. Had a few frills--luxury package, 6-speed AT, roof rails, cassette player, and a couple of other small things. MSRP ended up being somewhere around 27,700. Got it for 8,000 off. I financed through Mazda, so it would have been 7 grand off (20,700) if I'd paid cash or financed through someone else.

I also got 500 more than blue book for our trade in. That took some negotiating, but getting the big discount on the wagon was relatively easy.

Looks like the vehicle arrived at the dealership in December, so that could explain the significant discount. The local dealership--I'm in Texas--is one of the biggies, and it looked like they had large inventory of both new and late-model used wagons. That, no doubt, had a lot to do with the nice price.

One other thing: The finance guy at the dealer told me that Mazda had just today (6/24) bumped up the standard warranty on the 6 wagons (maybe on all Mazdas). In addition to the 4/50 bumper to bumper, you now get a 5 year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty.

Bottom line: Huge discounts are there to be had. I wouldn't be surprised to see a sizeable increase in rebates in the upcoming months.

Best of luck.
  • costello1costello1 Member Posts: 60
    Is that true about the increase in the warranty?? It is not posted on the website.That would be great . Does anyone know when the 6-06 's come out?? Any ideas on how the rebates will change on the 05's?? I can wait a month or so if they increase significantly!! Lots of 6 sedans sitting on dealers lots!!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter wishes to speak with people who have recently purchased a Mazda 6. She would like to discuss your ownership experience and what other cars you considered. If you would like to speak with her please send your name and daytime phone number to Pam Krebs, Edmunds.com PR, at pkrebs@edmunds.com by 12 noon Tuesday, June 28. Thank you.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• dealneederdealneeder Member Posts: 19
    My wife and I are considering the '05 6i auto transmission with bose/moonroof and leather packages. That means we'll either get the sports with those options or the GT. In either case the price is about the same. I put out a request to dealers for lease pricing, nothing down (including rolling fees and taxes into the cost of the lease) and got the following, based on NJ taxes, registration, dealer docs fees, etc.:

36 months w/ 12K - 354 or 358
    36 months w/ 15K - 370 or 374
    48 months w/ 12K - 336 or 339

I think the differences in prices on the two dealers I've heard from so far is that the more expensive is the Sports (with a slightly higher MSRP when options are included).

Here are my questions:
    1) Based on NJ tax is 6%, fees, doc prep, [non-permissible content removed]/reg total 385 or so, what is a good price for the above lease scenarios.

2) One dealer offered 2k in incentives while the other offered 2.5k in incentives (which I know is currently correct). The dealer with the 2k incentives had $740 in taxes versus $1300 in taxes (taxing the full cost of the car). Which taxes are the correct ones - in other words, can I push the 2k incentives dealer without him 'realizing' he screwed up the taxes, if he i wrong, or vice versa?

3) How likely are the cash incentives going to change? (In other words, what is the history on these incentives and what can be expected and when?)

4) As well, and as importantly, the lease deals are through the Assured Value program (which sounds like GM's smart buy). I have been told that will change/end July 5. Can anyone tell me what to expect after July 5? We don't need the car for another month, unfortunately.

5) Are there any other questions I should be asking or any other car makes/models/options I should consider instead?

Thanks for your patience and understanding!!!!
    dealneeder, if you like drop me an e-mail, I'd like to possibly compare some notes.
    -Mutt
    I'm still new to the board - how do I get your email? Feel free to send one to me at dealneeder@gmail.com to chat. Thx. (I apologize in advance if posting my email address is a violation - I am really new to these. Thx)
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Please share the information on the Forums where all of our members can benefit. Taking discussions privately deprives everyone else of the knowledge shared. Since we spend a lot of money & effort to maintain these boards, we'd appreciate having the information posted here.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

I am glad to do so. I don't think I have anything else to add right now on my front (the person who contacted me didn't email me yet).

For the GT's, I was quoted
    MSRP $24,795
    Invoice price $23,249
    Internet sale price $23,349

The sports models (leather, bose packages) were quoted at an MSRP of $25283
    Sales price at 23,283. Anyone know how they got $3 at the end?

I haven't verified invoice yet because different websites have different invoice prices.
    The ol' paranoia of dealers trolling the board kicking in - might be in the same region as Deal Needer, was curious of his impressions of different dealers.

FWIW, I'm looking in North and Central Jersey. Some on-line, some not. Hope to close things out in the next couple days.

Didn't mean to breach protocol.