Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Mazda6 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• er0si0ner0si0n Member Posts: 2
    I went and got my Mazda 6 4dr sport yesterday

onyx black
    Compass mirror
    cargo net
    moonroof

after ford employee pricing, price was $19k and something cant remember exactly.

Lease for 2 years 12k miles/yr, with 0-down, I will be paying $294/mo.

Although, they didnt have my car in stock, they are supposed to be getting it either today or 2morro. So all I believe I did was put a $500 deposit down to "hold" the car...but I don't believe I am in any contract as of yet...so maybe I can still negotiate the price lower?

I'm really bad at this stuff. :cry:
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    I don't think that price ($19K) is bad, if it is an automatic that would appear to be about $4400 below MSRP.

I don't know anything about leasing, so can't speak to that aspect...except it seems to me keeping a car for only 24 months is not exactly a money saving move ;) .
  • cincoletracincoletra Member Posts: 5
    Thanks to this forum, I knew it was possible. I just didn't back down. I said, "If you can discount the base model $5300, then you can discount this model the same amount".
    I got the redfire metalic, auto., no additional options.
    MSRP was 21,125. Oh, and I'm in Orlando, FL. Hope this helps someone else! ;)
  • dmitry138dmitry138 Member Posts: 2
    Wow! Looks like great price to me. I assume it's with destination charge. In any case I was shooting to 1k higher.
  • dudette3dudette3 Member Posts: 45
    Awesome, thank you for sharing this information with us. I think I will go for it...

Were there any rebates included to get this pricing?

Edmunds site says the TMV is 20,122 minus a 1000 rebate.

I would appreciate any more info...
  • mazda6dudemazda6dude Member Posts: 283
    anyone interested in a 2005 mazda6 i sport edition automatic with 47k miles? mint condition. $13,888 o.b.o.
  • dudette3dudette3 Member Posts: 45
    I do a lot of research on this site, and have a lot of gratitude for all of the information available. I leased a new 07 Mazda6i VE w/ auto trans and I wanted to share my prices paid - hopefully this helps someone else:

MSRP $20925
    MF: 0.00113
    Residual: 61%
    Miles: 13500/year, for 24 months

The OTD price is $259/month, sign and drive (0 down).

best wishes :)
  • whwongwhwong Member Posts: 5
    I am in the market looking to get a 2007 Mazda6 i VE HB auto. Want to target a deal at about 8k under MSRP. Just wonder how possible it is? I am not in a hurry so I can wait until end of this year or even some time next year.
  • jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    Check out the used price of your or a similarly equipped model of the vehicle in the 06 model year with 16000 miles on it via kbb.com and nada.com. Add about 15-20% to the wholesale price you get. If that is in the 8000 off msrp range it is doable. You want to try last week of july or august. Check out my message 14,394 in the accord prices paid section for useful info on how to buy a car.

Good Luck
    --jjf

I am in the market looking to get a 2007 Mazda6 i VE HB auto. Want to target a deal at about 8k under MSRP. Just wonder how possible it is? I am not in a hurry so I can wait until end of this year or even some time next year.
    Thanks jjf.

I checked kbb, an used similarly equipped 06 i HB auto is about $16k, add 15% will bring it to $18.4k. But I also heard in another forum one can get a $6k off MSRP deal for a 07 s model. If I can get a $6k off MSRP deal as well for my configuration, it will become $22k - 6k = 16k. Kind of confusing?
    Check out edmunds and nada.com. I would think closer to 14k wholesale for the 4 cyl. Anyways, you are correct and 6 k is doable in July and August. Later too, but selection less. Really doesn't matter though. Putting 20 dealers in competition via email end of month and working it correctly will produce the lowest price. Whatever is doable you will find out.

If that is a Hatchback auto sometimes the formula produces something like this if the manufacturer lowered the MSRP. I think nada publishes msrp for each model year. I thought the hatch was higher than 22k.

Good luck
    --jjf
    The exact configuration I want is the i HB VE auto, MSRP should be at about $22.2k. So I should probably aim at a price of $16k or lower.
  • avljmaxavljmax Member Posts: 10
    I actually leased it last night from Montgomery Mazda in Charlotte, NC. Great, super easy buying process (I had called ahead for their best price).

Here's the details:
    Mazda6i Sport Value Edition Auto
    MSRP $21,125
    Negotiated price $15,988
    Total cap cost $17,291
    Residual $11,618
    Base monthly payment $209.35 + $6.28 (tax) = $215.63

This is a 36-month, 12,000 miles per year lease with $0 down and $0 security deposit.

I love my 6 so far! Best of luck to everyone here and thanks for all the tips and advice I received!!!
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    According to my calculations, that's the amount it'll cost for the 36 month lease. Being totally unfamiliar with leases, is the residual figure what you'd need to pay the dealer after the term is up to purchase the car? Don't quite understand why most people lease in the first place. The only advantages I can see is a car always under warranty and the ability to just walk away at terms end.
    What am I missing here? By the way, liked the seating better in the 6 than the 3s that the wife ended up buying in '05.

The Sandman :confuse:
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    You just answered your own question...

The only advantages I can see is a car always under warranty and the ability to just walk away at terms end.

Plus, if you consider that residual as unrealistically high, then you are even farther ahead..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Leases are mostly meant to be fleeces, and to keep payment buyers happy. You can keep a car under warranty by just trading it in every 3-6 years or so many miles.

There is a tax advantage (which is touted to the max by salesmen) to the lease if you use the car for business, but this may be (largely?) negated with the average mediocre lease deals.

I'm not saying there aren't deals to be had, but you have to do it the right way.

--jjf

You just answered your own question...

The only advantages I can see is a car always under warranty and the ability to just walk away at terms end.

Plus, if you consider that residual as unrealistically high, then you are even farther ahead
    I don't understand leases either, never having gone that route. But, I'm pretty sure the residual is what you pay to buy at the end. I don't know what "total cap cost means", however :confuse: .

If I add the monthly payments (excluding tax) and the residual, and then figure out the approximate effective interest rate based on the $16K price, I get about 7.5%. That seems like it's in the range of the market rate for car loans. The difference is that you are spending more on interest because the interest is on a larger balance than with a purchase. If you end up buying, it is as if you had a loan with a large baloon payment at the end.

Really the only advantages are a lower monthly payment and a guaranteed trade in value, because if you want your car to always be under warranty you can do that by buying a new one every 3 years/36K mi or by purchasing an extended warranty.
  • dwynnedwynne Member Posts: 4,018
    It all depends on the lease terms. For example, two years ago Mazda had $2k in MAC lease rebates on RX-8 cars. They also had a money factor under 3%. I got mine for $500 under invoice less a $500 Gerber rebate then less the $2k in MAC rebates. So I was $2k ahead of where I would be if I purchased plus really cheap money. I ran the numbers, if I leased then purchased for residual (and financed that) compared to just financing from the start I would could out just fine.

The lease bank is taking all the risk on future value, not you. In the case of the 8, resale and trade values are in the toilet. If you had purchased the car and financed you would be upside down a long time on the car. With the lease, the car may not be worth the buyout at the end - so you just turn it in and walk away. The 8 may be the first car I have ever had to turn in, in all my other lease deals I managed to find someone to buy my car at or before the lease was up. I made anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand depending on the market and the car.

The key to any deal - lease, loan, or cash - is getting a good price at the start, then getting a good finance package (if not paying cash). If you get the car cheap with cheap money, you will usually come out OK.

The other thing "lease haters" don't get is the freedom of no trade in. I go get my new cars at cheap prices with no trade worries or hassles. Folks that hate (don't understand) leases probably also get ripped on their trade each time. If you do not sell your old car yourself, you are losing money - and most folks do not. So even if the lease cost is MORE than buying, losing thousands on your trade later will make that up.

Dennis
  • mazdafan1220mazdafan1220 Member Posts: 1
    I know it's not the best deal in the world, but we purchased an 07 Mazda6 HB SVE auto 4cyl for $19k after rebates and negotiation. We might have been able to get less if we waited the dealer out a little longer, but we paid well under invoice, and it was the only one we saw in the color we wanted (Tungsten Gray). This dealer also gave us the best value for our trade.
    I have always found that if you go into the dealer knowing what you want intermsa of car and price, and you're patient, you will be satisfied at the end. We waited the dealer out for four weeks, and ended up very close to our goals for trade in value and price on a very good new car.
    Heritage Mazda in Owings Mills, MD
  • carfanatic4carfanatic4 Member Posts: 3
    I am looking to buy the Mazda 6s with the Touring package..I was wondering what are the kind of deals that are been offered on this car.
    Responses are very much appreciated :)
  • johno111johno111 Member Posts: 114
    Just picked up an 07 Mazda6 i Value Edition. Sticker price was $21,125 paid $17,988 plus tax & title. Best price I could get in the Pittsburgh Pa. area.
    What extras come on this model? Was at the dealership on Friday getting maintenance work done on the 3s and couldn't find any on the lot.

The Sandman :)
    Value Edition adds
    1. 17" Alloy Wheels
    2. Side Sill Extentions
    3. Body Color Sport Grill
    4. Black trimmed tail lamp bezels
    5. Black color headlamp housing
    6. 8 way power driver seat
    7. In-dash 6-disc CD changer
    8. Leather wrapped sterring wheel
    all for like 4 or 5 hundred bucks over the base.
  • carfanatic4carfanatic4 Member Posts: 3
    Got a quote of $23,990 from a dealer in St.Louis for a Mazda 6s Grand Touring style...the msrp was $28265. Is thia good deal?? How low can I go?? :confuse:
    The 06 grand touring s wholesales for about 18000 now with about 16000 miles on it so personally I would want to pay about 21xxx ish for a new one.

Good Luck
    --jjf

Got a quote of $23,990 from a dealer in St.Louis for a Mazda 6s Grand Touring style...the msrp was $28265. Is thia good deal?? How low can I go??
    Well, since about $5000 below MSRP seems to be pretty available on the 2007 model, I guess I'd be looking to get maybe around $6000 off on a new 2006??? So a $4300 discount does not sound too great to me, but it all depends on how badly you want this particular car now and how interested the dealer is in getting rid of it.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    The 06 grand touring s wholesales for about 18000 now with about 16000 miles on it so personally I would want to pay about 21xxx ish for a new one.

Good Luck
    --jjf

What is the correlation between wholesale price of a used vehicle and the price of a new one other than "what you would WANT to pay"?

There are rebates, invoice, holdback, marketing support(manufacturer to dealer), and supply and demand to factor into determining a best price for a new vehicle.
    With a rebate of $1750 and no manufacturer to dealer on the 07 Mazda6 i and s models it appears very unrealistic to expect a dealer to be over $4000 off in addition to the rebate.
    Perhaps there is something I am failing to take into account?
    $6000 is too much to eat 1st year in depreciation on a car in this price range.`(based on your quote) What you WANT to pay is about 15-20% (or better) over the wholesale price of a 1yr old used one. This is for 95% of production autos. Do check up on the 18000 wholesale price as I just ran the base touring model and didn't see the sticker and options.

There are too many nameplates etc and a worldwide oversupply of manufacturing capacity to do otherwise. Eating $500/mo for the 1st 12 months is maybe OK for a $45000+ MSRP luxury brand but not here.

Get 10 or so bids via email and Mazda website towards the end of month from dealers in a radius around your home on a vehicle close to your requirements. See where the bids fall and work with the best. This is the only way to find what is realistic.

You are correct that supply and demand is part of the equation and if you find yourself cornered with one dealer holding the only tangerine green touring with fancy red border leather seats within 500 miles you are going to need competing bids to beat him over the head with and work the best deal with a good poker face.

5000-6000 off MSRP is not uncommon on the 22000 special value 4cyl and such especially in August and go from there. The markup (and possible discount) should be better on the pricier model. Manufacturer to dealer cash is hard to gauge as much can be unadvertised and is obviously a card to be held close to the vest by the dealer.. The end of month gig usually flushes some of this out from a few.

Good Luck
    --jjf

Good Luck
    --jjf

What is the correlation between wholesale price of a used vehicle and the price of a new one other than "what you would WANT to pay"?

There are rebates, invoice, holdback, marketing support(manufacturer to dealer), and supply and demand to factor into determining a best price for a new vehicle.
    With a rebate of $1750 and no manufacturer to dealer on the 07 Mazda6 i and s models it appears very unrealistic to expect a dealer to be over $4000 off in addition to the rebate.
    Perhaps there is something I am failing to take into account?
  • kmwkmw Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I'm new here. After 12 years since my last new car purchase, I am considering MAZDA6 Sport Value Edition for my next new car purchase. My current car is a 1995 Infiniti G20t and I absolutely LOVED that car. It lasted 12 years with very few problems. Although I would like a new Infiniti G35, I just can't justify the purchase price of one. I was wondering if anyone would share their experience with owning their MAZDA6 and what your experience has been as far as performance, quality, reliability, etc. Thanks!
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Member Posts: 1,230
    I was wondering if anyone would share their experience with owning their MAZDA6 and what your experience has been as far as performance, quality, reliability, etc. Thanks!

I bought my '04 6S sedan in August of '04, after carefully weighing it against the Legacy GT and TSX. So far, it's been close to three years and over 50K miles, and I still smile when walking to my car in the morning! The performance of the V6 and 5-speed manual has been excellent. The handling is spot-on, with excellent steering feel, brakes that won't quit, and great visibility. Gas mileage with the V6 averages about 25-27 MPG (75% highway), and dropping a gear (or two) makes passing a breeze, both on the highway, and on a twisty two-lane, which by the way are absolute fun!

The downsides? Few. The cloth seats aren't very durable, and look worn more than they should be (Mazda upgraded the cloth seats and material for '06, and I've heard that they're much better and more durable). The turning radius is big, making parking maneuvers a little more interesting than other midsize cars, but I've adapted. The only item requiring a trip to the dealer was a faulty gas cap that tripped on the "check engine" light, but was replaced under warranty. Other than that, I've only needed oil changes.

From a G20t, I'll think you'll appreciate the extra room that the 6 offers, while maintaining excellent performance and a slight penalty in fuel economy. Go ahead, get the 6! :)
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    KMW,
    You might want to post that question to the here: Midsize Sedans 2.0

But they are pretty in love with the Accord.
  • kmwkmw Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the information MZ6greyghost. I will also check out the midsize sedan site!
  • sjf928sjf928 Member Posts: 2
    live in pittsburgh. Looking for mazda6i sport value edition in a hatchback. Was yours a four or five door and was the trans. auto or manual. Thanks for any help
    Mine is a four door with the 5 speed automatic. Go to MazdaUsa.com and you can see all the dealers stock. You may have to keep changing the zip code to get all the dealers. The Value Editions are in a shorter supply. The current rebate has been raised to $1750.00 so you should get at least $3200.00 off the sticker. I think this rebate ends like Sept 4th.
  • sjf928sjf928 Member Posts: 2
    thanks for the help johno111. One last question. Do you think i should buy now or wait and see if the rebates increase. I'm thinking that if i wait too long i will get shut out of the model and color i prefer. Thanks again.
    $16,595

Here is a price reference for a Chicago dealer. I purchased a Protege from them several years ago. No recent experience.
    That's a great price actually. I sat in a new 6 at the dealership today and really liked the power seat...very back friendly and comfortable with the 8 way power. Car was very comfortable in the rear also and all the switch gear fell within easy reach and had a nice tactile feel. Especially liked the in-dash 6 C D player and the soft cloth interior, a better cloth than the wife's 3 actually. Funny, this was almost dead on price wise what we bought our 3s back on July 1st of '05.
    Same engine as our 3s also, but I'd bet the mileage suffers a bit due to the weight increase of the 6 over the 3. The charcol gray and burgandy colors looked very stealth on this car also. Very impressive car. Funny though, I'd bet even the Sonata outsells the 6 in the U S by a large margin. Probably can't even compare the numbers that the Camcordima's sell here also. Still, I liked it!

The Sandman :)
    Don't know, dealer stock on the i value edition is low and the 08's haven't been announced yet so take that for what it's worth. Ford is pushing the Fusion and Malan this momth.
    Funny, this was almost dead on price wise what we bought our 3s back on July 1st of '05.

3 and 6 pricing is not much different. They have been doing rebates and other incentives on the 6 but have not needed them to sell the 3.

Same engine as our 3s also, but I'd bet the mileage suffers a bit due to the weight increase of the 6 over the 3.

Difference is only 1 mpg, per new EPA rating. Old rating was 1 mpg different for city and same on hwy.
  • perryw4perryw4 Member Posts: 3
    I have a dealer offering to sell me 2007 6S Grand Touring for $25,714 which is $200 above invoice (which is also S-Plan). Looking through some of the older posts, it seems like I should be able to get more than that off of the MSRP of $27,595? There is only 1 or 2 other GT cars in the city and I just watched 2 of them disappear from inventories over the past week. I'm kinda wanting to buy the car just because there aren't many left, but at the same time I don't want to overpay. I'd be getting the $1750 rebate because I've arrange my own financing..

I tried to go drive the car today but as I was driving through the parking lot I had a salesmen try to flag me down (almost getting himself run over in the process) and then chase after me towards a parking spot. It was pretty upsetting to have that sort of pressure applied before I even got out the car, so I just drove on home.
  • bobzoombobzoom Member Posts: 3
    Sept 23rd, 2006, I bought a 2006 Mazda 6 S Grand Sport Sedan at Wilkins Buick/Mazda in Villa PArk, IL.

List (true Sticker MSRP) Price was $29,440.00.
    I paid $22,440.00 before tax, license and title, $57.00 doc fee.

$6000.00 in Dealer Discounts/Rebates and a $1000.00 Rebate from Mazda for Financing thru Mazda Credit. I made a couple of payments and paid the car off. So it did cost me a few bucks in interest.
  • dfwbuyer1dfwbuyer1 Member Posts: 2
    Have negotiated with several dealers in DFW area and the going rate seems to be $4500 off MSPR. Though one dealer in Mckinney was in the paper at $4841 off MSRP and one dealer in Ft Worth at $5000 off. So keep trying. These include $2250 rebate in this area.
    I gave up on that GT. I asked the dealer to do the best he could and he dropped $400 to $200 under invoice. The car is still on his lot.. I ran a CarFax on the VIN and found that it has been for sale since June of last year so he'll probably keep it a while longer.

Got a quote on a 07 Mazdaspeed6 Sport for $26,971, about $500 over invoice. That car has been for sale since mid-June according to CarFax. That's before the $1750, so we're about $3300 under MSRP right now. Seems like I'd be good if they'd do $25,833 which is invoice w/o the destination fee, or $4507 under MSRP with the rebate. Can't hurt to ask, huh?
  • ws46ws46 Member Posts: 28
    Hi, we are looking to purchase a Mazda 6 5-door sport value edition. Preferably a manual.

I've been reading that about $1450 below MSRP($21,375) would be a good deal with the zero % financing.
    Does that sound about right? thanks for your help.

Just to be clear. It's either a $1750 off OR the zero % financing right? We are going with the zero..

ws46
    Just to be clear. It's either a $1750 off OR the zero % financing right? We are going with the zero..

That's right. $1750 rebate or 0% for 36 months. Make sure you run the numbers because for the interest rates I've gotten the cash back is better.

Edmunds has a calculator to help you compare - http://www.edmunds.com/apps/calc/CalculatorController?pmtcalAction=intro_calc
  • ws46ws46 Member Posts: 28
    Thanks for the link to the calculator.
    I wish it would take into account the interest that I would be earning from setting aside the cash in a money market account and making monthly payments from it. Getting 5.25% interest rate on 30K over the 3 year period (but with around $850 subtracted from it every month) isn't bad.
    Of course, things get more complicated with changing interest rates and inflation..

So, any price paid/experiences for for 2007 Mazda 6 5-door sport value edition?.. thanks!

ws46
    Mazda6 ads in my area: one dealer says $5750 off and another has an ad saying up to $4250 in rebates. It appears that these deals are for any Mazda6 they have in stock. Of course, those prices are without discount financing.
    If you look up a used 2006 model with 16000 miles on it you have a wholesale value of about 14000 for the 22000 msrp model in about a year. 4500-5500 off msrp like in many of the ads would be much better for a new 07.

--jjf

Hi, we are looking to purchase a Mazda 6 5-door sport value edition. Preferably a manual.

I've been reading that about $1450 below MSRP($21,375) would be a good deal with the zero % financing.
    Does that sound about right? thanks for your help.

ws46
    In what area are the prices advertised?
    There are between $1750 to $2250 in rebates depending on region.
    Those prices are being advertised in Milwaukee, WI area.