Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Mazda6 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• dulla1031dulla1031 Member Posts: 3
    Finally bit the bullet yesterday. Picked up an i GT (Sangria Red) with Moon/Bose from Wayne Mazda, NJ. Internet sales matched Fitzmall of MD price of $22,900 plus tax tags Destination and dealer fees.
    Out-The-Door price was $26,112.
    Lovin' it! Good luck all, and Happy Father's Day!!! :)
  • jmcginlayjmcginlay Member Posts: 12
    Thanks for all of the valuable information each of you have shared.

I note however that not many folks have referenced the purchase of the S grand touring. I configured the vehicle online to come to $31,730. As of this mornings brief conversation with a dealer I think there is a $2K rebate on the grand touring S, and I can get a $1K Mazda owner loyalty rebate.

If I get the $2K manufacturer rebate I assume I can't get the $1,500 and 2.9% financing deal from the dealer correct?

What would a good deal be for this vehicle?
  • mazda6itouringmazda6itouring Member Posts: 4
    I am looking for a 2009 Mazda 6 i Touring 4 cyl auto with moonroof/bose and spoiler. It does not seem like $21,600 is a good deal compared to some I have read, but that about the best I can do. This is after $2000 dealer cash, not the 0% -1000 rebate, only can get one or the other, I don't have loyalty or preferred or anything else. This includes all dealer fees etc. Not Tax Title or licensing.

One person I saw here recieved $19,969 for seemingly the same thing. Not sure about spoiler on that one, but still thats only about $400.

Can I get some feedback on this? The S plan looks like not such a good deal either, with it being around $22,000.

Thanks all!
  • waterbuck1waterbuck1 Member Posts: 11
    I think it is a good deal in most parts of the country. If you get Moonroof/Bose, that implies you are also getting the Convenience Package; is that right?

If you go to Truecar.com to price that vehicle out, it looks like nationally, very few people are getting that car for 21.6k before title or taxes. I think it's helping you that in your region there are $2000 "dealer cash" (is that dealer cash related to your financing? or is it just a regional incentive for all purchasers?).

In any case, there certainly could be specific dealers and regions that would sell at lower prices, somewhere in the country, but also there are likely to be many more who don't need to drop the price to 21.6k to sell the car.

In my case I had to rush to unload a beat-up failing 15 year old Nissan with a newly imploding radiator to trade in, so my capacity to shop around was limited.

I got a car like yours, but NOT with the Bose Package for a price of roughly 21.5-22k. It's tricky because they marked up my worthless tradein as being valued suggest a much higher price. However, if I had gotten them to offer 21.6k INCLUDING the moonroof/bose (I tried), it would have been great.

If you really want to try for a better price, you could email/fax a whole bunch of dealers up to 200 miles away with exact specs and basically indicate you'll buy whoever comes in at, say $20.9k. Then wait, and recontact them as the month goes on to see who bites. It's not guaranteed to get you a better price, but my understanding is that if a better price is to be found in your region, playing this out over a month or so will likely help find it.
    This is for the Moonroof/Bose pkg, not including the convenience pkg. The Dealer cash is from the manufacturer to the dealer and replaces the financing offer of 0%-2.9% and $1000 rebate. S Plan will show you that at least, have to talk to the dealer about it to find out what the current offer is.

Thanks for the feedback and I hope you enjoy your car. With the economy being down, cars are not selling well. So just not sure what a "real" good price would be. The rebates change and people have different options and different special rebates. Would rather not leave $1000 on the table for the purchase when I know they are killing me on the trade-in.
  • sporin71sporin71 Member Posts: 27
    Anyone actually seen a 6i Grand Touring MANUAL in the flesh?
    Okay-
    truecar.com, assuming an Alabama purchaser, asserts that there is presently a $1000 incentive (by the way, I purchased 2.5 weeks ago and there was no incentive then here in Alabama; on the other hand, I'll bet that the Dealer might have gotten cash from the manufacturer, and they simply didn't tell me).

Still, if I price your car, then Truecar.com thinks that a "great price" (rarely achieved) is <$21,755, and that a "good price" would be <$22,090.

So, your $21,600 looks like a "great price" in the Truecar world. Add $1500 for tax, title and licensing and you are at 23.1k. If you are paying cash and this is the price, it's a totally good price, and yeah--there are probably people on this same forum in different parts of the country who worked it down from 21.6k to 20.6k, either because of desperate dealers with too much local competition, or because the purchaser was willing to do the fax/email thing and wait around . Since this is 6/30/09, my guess is you could play this game out in July if you wanted to.

the one thing to sort out is whether this price is "great" precisely because they are screwing you on the trade-in. KBB.com (kelly blue book) can give you a fair appraisal of your used car (you can even cross-check it with Edmunds). If you have a 3 year old Camry or something, that's worth real money and you should try to get the dealer to use precisely what Kelly says its real value is, for tradein to a dealer (the dealer tradein value is always less than private market sales; I'm just making the assumption that you don't want to sell this on the private market). On the other hand, I was dealing with a 15 year old junker,and frankly I had a Toyota dealer tell me that they just had no use for it as a tradein, even though the Kelly Blue Book said it was worth $400-700.

good luck!
  • mikemartinmikemartin Member Posts: 205
    Prices are really starting to come down now on the 6 and most other cars, redesigned or not, out there.

The economy is worsening, and car dealers are going to need big incentives from manufacturers to move metal.

Look for blockbuster deals in about 2-3 months.
  • moose5778moose5778 Member Posts: 3
    Just bought this elusive veh last night. In the St. Louis area there are 4 of these cars, I think all of them have moon/tunes pkg.
    I just bought our i GT moon/tunes manual last eve. Thanks for your post it gave me confidence when I presented my offer of 22.9 - out the door price was 23.000 did not include TTL. Good luck
  • sporin71sporin71 Member Posts: 27
    Good to know they are out there! Congrats on your purchase. :)
  • dulla1031dulla1031 Member Posts: 3
    Awesome! Glad to hear it! Been lovin' my 6 from day one. Took her all over the East Coast in less than a month....3300 miles! Slowing down now tho! What color u get? Hope u enjoy her as much as I do mine! Congrats! :blush:
  • gypo4gypo4 Member Posts: 3
    I was just wondering if this was a good price for an 09 iTouring with the Bose/ Moonroof + Convenience package

I was offered $22820 + TT&L

I would assume this is a good price? think I can try to bring it down/ do better?

Also, what do you guys think, should I buy the 09 or wait for the 2010 mazda 6 to come out? anything to wait for since the 6 will be much cheaper as the 2010 approaches..
    I have not seen reports on the 2010 Mazda 6, and you could just google that to make sure no major changes are planned. However, since the 2009 was "completely redesigned" the changes for 2010 might be pretty modest if any.

I think the price you are offered is good. It's never bad to try a bit more, but unless you are in a very favorable market, I don't think they will move more than 300 or 400 bucks.
    good luck.
    little hard to tell for sure, but from reading about the 2010 lineup, I think that an iTouring with Convenience Package (2009) will be hard to match without going up to a Grand Touring Plus in 2010.

In essence, for 2010, I think Mazda is reconfiguring how features are offered so that you will be pushed much harder to "buy up" to a higher tier if you want all the items available on a 2009 iTouring with Convenience Package.
    link title

Of course they could drop prices anyway, in which case, this kind of concern doesn't matter too much.

there won't actually be a "convenience package" in 2010. So to get an iTouring with extras like Bluetooth and the Blindspot warning system, you would go for the "itouring plus". However, that does NOT have dual zone automatic climate control, leather trimming on the seats or the "welcome lighting system". To get that all in one, you would have to go fro the Grand Touring.

To get the PUsh-button start and the Mazda Advanced Keyless entry (both offered in the 2009 Convenience package), you would need to buy the "Technology Package" which will be available on the GT models only.

Overall, my view has been that the 2009 Mazda 6 doesn't really turn out to be less expensive than the 2009 Accord or Camry, save for the fact that in 2009, Mazda figured out how to package in a lot of extra cool features in that one "convenience package" added onto the mid-tier card (i Touring), which really was quite a value (partial leather seats, welcome lighting, rain-sensing wipers, blindspot monitoring, automatic headlights, advanced keyless entry, pushbutton start).

My interpretation of the changes for 2010 is that the car won't drive or look different, but you'll be forced to purchase "up" to get those things. At that point you might really have to pay a bit extra.
  • gypo4gypo4 Member Posts: 3
    According to a dealer I contacted, the new Mazda6's will be out in September. I plan to buy a new car sometime in August, so this may work in my favor.

And if you guys go HERE

and go to mazda 6, the build, they actually have the MSRP of the 2010's, although I do not how accurate they are.
  • sfogvipersfogviper Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for posting the link to that dealer! In reviewing the specs, it looks pretty much spot-on to what had been posted here before.

I'm shopping for a 6s GT, so I built a 2010 with tech package to where it looks like everything matches the 09. At first I was missing the blind spot monitoring, but it's listed as a standard GT feature (overtaking sensor). Only other things I'm not seeing explicitly mentioned are the welcome lighting (which was previously listed here as standard on GT) and Bluetooth (which is, I'm assuming, listed as "voice activating system includes phone" - I don't see any reason to expect a change here).

Glad to see the MSRPs of the two are close ($30975 now versus $31120 in 2010). Now to figure out if I can get a much better deal on an 09 in a month or so...
  • bricknordbricknord Member Posts: 85
    2009 mazda6 sedan i sport 2.5 auto no other options

sticker price was just under $22k

paid 19477 plus tax title, etc.

could have saved another grand but took the 2.9 financing, and probably could have whittled them down another couple hundred but they were good to work with and the salesperson treated me professionally with no pressure, so they deserve to make a living.

supply of 09s in the 4-cyl getting real thin here in the kansas city area.

transaction in zip 64086 for anyone looking locally. cheers
  • txcarbuyer2txcarbuyer2 Member Posts: 7
    Hey, I paid 21,000 , which included TT&L for my new 09 Mazda 6, It was the I touring with convenience. I bought it a little over a month ago, so better prices are to be had now. Remember to get the preferred buyers card! it saves you 500 dollars
    Excellent, glad to hear it, sounds like a great deal!
  • ldislerldisler Member Posts: 83
    Left a deposit on a in stock Mazda5 @8:00 pm. Called them @2:00 the next day to cancel the deal and they refuse to refund my deposit. The salesman never said
    it wasn't refundable. What do I do now?
    I live in MO. I did the same thing last week. The dealership gladly returned my deposit. Sorry foryour troubles. In MO we have a 72 hr rule that allows the purchaser to back out within 72 hours. I would look at your state laws to see if you have a similar law
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    The three day right of recission doesn't apply to car sales. They gave your deposit back, because you didn't consummate a sale (as they should).

If you had taken delivery of the car, there is no law that gives you the right to take it back within a specified length of time. (Hence the phrase, "over the curb").

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• mitchfloridamitchflorida Member Posts: 420
    I noticed that in California, you get a $2000 rebate plus Zero percent financing for 36 months. In Florida, you only get $1000 rebate with Zero percent financing for 36 months.

That's a pretty big difference. I think that Mazda will raise the rebates on the 2009 Mazda6 starting in August , at least matching California. What do you think the prospects are for higher rebates with the 2010s on their way?
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    There may be some quiet dealer cash paid but don't think Mazda will go over $2000 for a consumer rebate.
    The low interest loans that Mazda has been supplying are a value worth an additional $1000. I look to see some huge sales during Labor Day Weekend. That is always a good time to purchase. Also end of the year sales is the final blow out of last years models.

I can afford to wait. .will look for the best deal on the 2009s after 2010s start arriving.
  • abouttime2abouttime2 Member Posts: 7
    Can anyone tell me what the s plan price ( family and friends) is for an I grand touring and if I could do better on my own at this time of the year? I would be paying cash.
    Ebony black
    5 speed automatic
    2.5 liter, 4 cylinder
    moonroof bose pkg
    msrp: 28,440

Any input would be greatly appreciated! :)
    If you pay cash, it would be $23,917 + Tax , License, and dealer fees. That is for July.
    Thanks alot Mitchflorida!
  • twing54twing54 Member Posts: 4
    gypo4:

If you are leaning to an "i" with Convenience and Bose, you should consider the Grand Touring model. This model has the convenience package and all of the GT's are shipped with the Bose package. And, the GT has heated seats. Find Browns Mazda on the web and use their price as a benchmark. There are lots of GT's left in the lots.

Personally I drove the GT and while I liked the car, I was totally unimpressed with the Bose system and I wont pay up for it. I have no idea why this is considered a premium system. :shades:
    Is this a good deal? And if it isn't what would be a good price. How much value does the car lose with 1500 miles? The dealer said 2k worth of discounts were applied to the price.
    Mazda 6i GT demo w/1500 miles
    Sangora red
    5 speed automatic
    2.5 liter, 4 cylinder
    moonroof bose pkg
    msrp: 28,240
    minus- 4,600 (for demo discount)
    fees- 279
    taxes- 1,851
    minus-4,500(clunker)

total price-21,276

T.I.A :confuse:
    At the least, tell the dealer you want another $500 off the price. They may also increase incentives next month, so that could net you another $500.
    Thanks again. Thats what I was thinking about doing
    On the Mazda6 Grand Touring, the MSRP will be going down $2585 but will no longer include "Auto on/off headlights, Mazda advanced keyless entry system, Push button start, Auto-dimming exterior mirrors, Heated mirrors, Auto-dimming interior mirror, Homelink system, Sirius satellite radio, Multi Information Display (audio & Bluetooth), Xenon headlights, LED rear combination lights, Driver's seat memory, Passenger power seat, Rain sensing wipers."

But you can add those as a Technology Package for $1980 .
    So the 2010 model will with all the goodies will still be about $605 less than the 2009 version.

Sport i $20,320
    2.5L, 16-valve i-4 engine. 170 HP, Standard: Dynamic Stability Control, Traction Control, AM/FM/CD, MP3 compatible, 6-speaker sound system

Touring i $21,800
    Adds: In-dash 6-disc CD changer, 17" alloy wheels, 8-way Power driver's seat, Trip computer

Touring Plus i $23,750
    Adds: Power Moonroof, Bluetooth phone & audio, Blind Spot Monitoring System, Anti-theft security alarm Auto Trans

Grand Touring i $ 25,935
    Adds: Bose audio, leather seats, heated front seats, Welcome lighting system. Auto Trans

Mazda6 s Touring Plus: $26,450
    Chrome dual exhaust finishers, 17" alloy wheels, 215/55 R17 V-rated a/s tires, Power moonroof, Ground illumination, Electroluminescent gauges, Bluetooth hands-free phone and audio operations, Global open/close function (front windows), Carpeted floor mats and cargo mat, Anti-theft security system, Blind spot monitoring system.

Mazda6 s Grand Touring: $28,390
    18" alloy wheels, P235/45 R18 W-rated a/s tires, Leather-trimmed seats, Heated front seats, Dual zone automatic climate control, Bose audio system, Welcome lighting system.

I, for one, won't miss those "partial leather seats". I thought they were a little bit odd . . neither fish nor fowl.
    The $4600 demo discount should come off of the invoice price and don't forget about the rebate ($1000) or dealer cash ($2000) so take the invoice from www.kbb.com and subtract $5600 with 0% or $6600 with bring your own interest rate of 6% typical. The cash for clunkers is now over as of Midnight tonight.

The GT is a 6 cylinder, so this must be a Mazda 6 i touring 4 cylinder auto, with bose invoice is about 23,000. - $5600 = $17,400 at the most. So your pricing is not good, if it is in fact 6cyl, then it is a little better but still no deal. price that at KBB. Negotiate from the invoice - discounts, - mileage, you may not get $4600 for that few miles, but a couple thousand seems reasonable to ask for.

I had price offers of $21000 for 4 cyl moonroof/bose and convenience pkg after rebates if that helps.

Good luck!
  • mbeach13mbeach13 Member Posts: 1
    Just got a Mazda 6i GT for 2300 OTD. Traded in a clunker so out of pocket it was 18500. Not bad
  • czapataczapata Member Posts: 1
    I just had a bad experience trying to buy this car from Jim Ellis Marietta. We agreed on a price for a 2009 Mazda 6i Touring at the Jim Ellis dealer in Marietta, Georgia. The agreed price was $20,600 out the door (tax, tags, title, doc fee, taxes), + the $1000 cash rebate for being a current Mazda 3 owner, for an agreed out the door price of $19,600. I show up to discuss trade-in, the price changed to $20,200, out the door. I asked several times about the rebates, how they applied, etc. They assured me that I could get everything I wanted for that price. I was willing to accept the $600 difference because we didn't discuss trade-in before and told them I was ok with this. I showed up today to finalize the deal with my financing approved, both from my credit union and Mazda (the 2.9%) and then I was presented with a $21,350 out the door price. OLD BAIT AND SWITCH! I could not believe it! A difference of about $1750 from the original agreed price. Their excuse was the special financing and how the incentives work, and that I have not mentioned the special financing to them, which was a lie because every time I called I specifically made it clear to them that the price included all rebates, and financing specials.

Off course, I had to leave. I have bought a lot of cars in my life, some very good deals, but I have never experienced a bait and switch like this one in any previous negotiations.

Be careful, these people were very, very nice, but at the end, they turned to be sharks and no different than the typical car salesperson.

By the way, the after a lot of research, test driving several cars (Nissan Altima, Honda Accord, Toyota Camry), the 2009 Mazda 6i Touring is the best deal around for the price.

I have been negotiating with other dealers, so I still have options and I am in the process of negotiating the same car with someone else. :mad: ">
  • jason80jason80 Member Posts: 35
    I am still confused on what you should realistically expect to pay for a 2009 I Grand Touring with automatic transmission and moonroof and bose package. Also I would like to know what you should expect to pay for a 2009 S Grand Touring with the same options.

Anyone that responds, please just give me the cash price BEFORE TTL and how you arrived at it.

For the 2009 I Grand Touring, auto, moonroof and bose package I would figure the price would be $26,186 (invoice) - $1,500 (incentive) = $24,686. Am I missing any incentives? Would I be able to do the 2.9% financing with this price?

I am getting quoted lower than this by all the dealers, I dont get it!

I just found about this wonderful car and unfortunately it seems like the posts of what people have paid vary greatly. I usually spend months researching a product but there is a limited number of 09's left and I have to move quickly!

Thanks for any help!

Edit:
    This confuses me even more, so there is $2,500 and $1,500 available with financing or is it one or the other?
    http://www.carpricedatabase.com/news/2009/01/2008-2009-mazda-rebates-incentives-- - dealer-cash/
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    Seems clear on mazda's site that you can get the financing and a $1500 rebate:

http://mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayRegionalIncentives.action
    there is $2,500 discount OR $1,500 available with financing

You get one or the other, not both. And it will be changing on Monday.
  • jason80jason80 Member Posts: 35
    Thank you for the additional clarification. I called my dealer and did confirm the price would be $1,000 higher if I used the financing so I guess I'm not getting as a good as I thought.
  • hawaiimazda6hawaiimazda6 Member Posts: 2
    :) On July 20, 2009 I purchased a i GT Automatic, Bose Package and Rear Spoiler. I paid $23,888. Check out Truecar.com for the local selling price in your area. There was Only 2 cars left to choose from a Comet Grey and the Smokestone that I purchased, I like how the color of paint changes depending on the angle your at looking at the car. Happy Mazda6 Hunting. Aloha
  • hawaiimazda6hawaiimazda6 Member Posts: 2
    On 7/20/09 I paid $23,888 for my i GT Automatic with Bose and Rear Spoiler. List price was $28,640 and S-Plan price was $26,230.
    Taking into account the $2500 dealer incentive on the 2009 iGT w/ bose moonroof package, is it still cheaper to get the 2010 w/ tech package at the S plan price? And does anyone know what the correct s plan price would be?

TIA
  • p0seidonp0seidon Member Posts: 1
    How much should I be paying for a Mazda 6 s Grand Touring with Navigation and Moonroof/Bose packages.

The dealer will not go below 28,999 for that car. Anyone have proof of invoice that paid lower for this car?
    At this point, there is a $2500 dealer cash on the 2009 and nothing on the 2010, so the 2009 will still be about $1900 less than the 2010. On the other hand, if you wait long enough, say later November or December, I wouldn't be surprised if Mazda puts $2000 dealer cash on the 2010 model. I guess it depends on how soon you need the vehicle. They aren't going to discount the 2010s for a few months.
    If he is giving you the low-interest rate loan on that deal, it is a pretty good deal.

If not, carsdirect.com is quoting $28,308
    Thanks. Unfortunately, my truck is barely functioning right now and I need to take advantage of the CARS program anyway.
  • brerjeffbrerjeff Member Posts: 6
    I live in Orlando, dealer here has offered this:

Invoice of $21,565 minus a $2500 rebate for a price of $19,065 for a 2009 Mazda6 i Touring (auto).

Autobrag shows that as being below the lowest price so it seems like a good deal.

Thank you in advance - brerjeff
    In Florida, dealers routinely charge a $700 "Dealer Fee" on top of all the other charges. If you can get that price without a dealer fee, I think that is an excellent price. With the full dealer fee, not so much. Especially if he is selling it out of his inventory. 2010s have started to arrive , so maybe he could give you a break.