Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Mazda6 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• davebusterdavebuster Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for the OTD price on the 2013 sport auto. Do you know what the price before taxes/reg/docs was? I'd like to know cause the tax rate for each state is different.

Also, anybody in California get a good deal on a 2013 sport?
  • jkobty2jkobty2 Member Posts: 210
    Damn, that is pricey. It will probably be a better build quality car than the current Mazda 6. But 30,000 is steep. We got my wife's 2010 Acura TL at the end of the 2010 model year for similar money. I have found there is always a pet peeve with every car. In the Nissan's it is the CVT, with Honda or Acura V6 it is the engine still uses a timing belt, expensive maintenance if you intend to keep the car, but it is less annoying than a CVT. The best combination powertrain is the Acura TSX 2.4L with the 5 speed auto. I understand the new Honda Accord 4 cyl is also mated to a CVT. So pick what you can live with until someone makes the perfect car :)
  • mvperez4jesusmvperez4jesus Member Posts: 231
    Yes. $15, 121 was the car price
  • ashjawashjaw Member Posts: 8
    mvperez4jesus-can you share the name of the dealer who you worked w/ to get this price? I am interested in 2013 Mazda 6 auto isport trim w/ no options and the best price I got from fitzmall was $16400 (not including Tax, title and tags). I presume you got the auto isport as well?
    Also to confirm. It is the sport no options but automatic.
  • ashjawashjaw Member Posts: 8
    They told me that they had discounted only one because it was sitting on the lot for a while. they chose not to discount the others...which didnt make sense to me. I will try young mazda in easton so see if they are willing to make a deal at a lower price. BTW, did your price also include the $500 mazda loyalty? and would you recommend young mazda?
    Sorry I forgot. My price didn't include the Loyalty discount, and I had the price breakdown indicating that it wasn't included if not it would have been even better.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    But $30,000 MSRP??!! For roughly the same money, I could get a fully loaded Nissan Altima SL with the V6 engine.

Most every other 4 cyl competitor in the segment hits the $30K mark too, including the Altima, Accord, Camry, Passat and Fusion. Yes, the Altima 2.5 SL with tech package goes over $30K MSRP....we are comparing MSRP's here, not sale prices or year-end discounted vehicles....
  • brainfertilizebrainfertilize Member Posts: 46
    You aren't comparing apples to apples, like you think you are.

The 2.5L 4-cyl is a Skyactiv engine. It gets V-6 performance with hybrid-or-better mileage numbers, without those batteries that are so bad for the environment.

Note: the 2014 doesn't even have a 6 cyl option anymore.

The 2.0l 4-cyl performs like the old 2.5l 4-cyl, but with better mileage.
    The 2.5l 4-cyl performs like the old 6-cyl, but with extremely better mileage.

And the Mazda6 has traditionally been bigger than the Altima, but I admit I haven't compared the most recent models.

And while the Altima gets high marks for "fun to drive", usually equal to the Mazda6, I still think there is a slight difference in feel, and the Mazda6 suits me much better, and so is, hands down, the better car for me.

I still have a 2010, still love it enough I wouldn't trade it for a 2014 Altima straight up.
  • pegasus17pegasus17 Member Posts: 536
    what do you base your statement on?

"The 2.5l 4-cyl performs like the old 6-cyl, but with extremely better mileage."

u can't be serious?
  • brainfertilizebrainfertilize Member Posts: 46
    Haven't you heard anything about SkyActiv?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    I have to agree. Skyactiv is more marketing than engineering breakthrough. The CX-5 was so underpowered with the Skyactiv powerplant that they are already offering a new 180 HP engine in the new model.

More efficient for it's size, but not really more powerful.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    Your statements are ridiculous. Skyactiv is not a turbo or drastic increase of hp or torque. It is an overall system of body/engine/aerodynamics etc that provide for excellent fuel economy with decent power. It's designed for good MPG not power comparable to much larger engines. The 2.5L skyactiv engine has something like 185hp. There is no way it compares at all with the power of the 273hp V6. The V6 has been dropped because it sucked gas, not because the 2.5L performs like it. The 2.0L engine has something like 150hp, so no it does not perform as good as the 2.5L but gets a lot better MPG.

Mazda has decided, as far as we know anyway, to delete the V6 and just go with the I4 and the diesel for CAFE reasons not because either performs like the old V6. Maybe they'll come out with something a little hotter or more zoom zoom but for now they are toning down power for MPG.
    kyfdx-

I do not agree that SKYACTIV engines are on par with V6 variants (obviously), your assessment of what SKYACITV is is way off base. Considering you represent Edmunds, I would assume you would know better.

Let me help shed some light on exactly what SKYACTIV Technology is...

To start, Mazda did a boat load of engineering to create power trains that increase efficiency and power without sacrificing driving performance. They used a "sky's the limit" approach to achieving their goal. That is where the name came from.

In the engine, Mazda uses a innovative cavity piston design to harness fuel energy that helps the fuel burn more efficiently and creates more power. Mazda also uses one of the most advanced DI systems on the market injecting fuel in at over 2900psi. It injects fuel in both the intake and compression strokes for engine cooling, which is why Mazda can run 13.1 compression on 87 fuel. Also, the DI has a 6 hole injector in each cylinder which is specifically designed to inject fuel at precise points for perfect fuel/ail atomization.

Mazda also reworked cooling passages, oil passages, cams, piston rings, connection rods to create less friction, down about 30%-70%, depending on the part, from the previous MZR motors.

Mazda also uses a 4-2-1 header exhaust manifold, this is not new to the market, but Mazda found a way to make it work with a horizontally mounted engine, something that is not easy.

The 2.0L engine used develops 155ph and 148ft-lbs. Currently in the Mazda3 is far better than offerings by Hyundai, Toyota, Nissan, Honda and Ford as Mazda is the only one who gets 40mpg w/o any special FE package and no CVT tranny. Nissan can get there w/o any FE package, but needs a CVT and FAR less HP to get there. Mazda's engine is obviously superior. The CX-5 gets a pass based on displacement, but the 2.5L offers over 20 more ft-lbs than the CR-V and gets better city and average FE. The Escape has proven to fall short on FE promises and the CX-5 has not. The Rogue, Santa Fe, 2014 RAV4, Sportage all still fall short of the 2.5L CX-5 in both power and efficiency.

The real beauty of SKYACTIV is the automatic transmission. It uses a very small torque converter for speeds lover than 5mph and then a multi-disc clutch for shifting, which is very similar to a DCT. No one has done this yet. As a result, you get CVT-like efficiency with the direct shift feel of a DCT and the smoothness at low speeds of a conventional torque converter tranny. This is why you see the Mazda6 match the fuel efficiency of the Altima without using a CVT. If you notice, any other cog tranny's efficiency is a bit off the mark from Mazda's in this segment and they sure don't provide rev-matching downshifts for great real-world driving capability.

There were also many enhancements to the body and chassis to reduce weight and increase strength by using ultra-high tensile steel. Mazda uses more than any other manufacturer. This aids in efficiency and safety.

This is really an abbreviated version of what Mazda did. You can search YouTube and Mazda has plenty of videos describing what they have done.

Is "SKYACTIV Technology" a marketing tag? Absolutely. But, what Mazda has done IS real and some of it is true innovation especially from a company that produces affordable vehicles. Mazda's engineers have really come up with awesome technology, IMO.

Proof is in the pudding as consumers have flocked to Mazda's new tech and sales have been above and beyond what Mazda was expecting. If you look at the year-end sales results, Mazda sold 123,000 Mazda3's (most ever) with 69% being SKYACTIV equipped models. Mazda stated at this time last year, they did not expect to sell more than 100,000 Mazda3's for 2012. The CX-5 sold 43,000 units, far beyond what Mazda ever thought it would sell in years one in the U.S.

I hope I helped clear some things up for you. For more info, visit Mazda's web site, or YouTube for the cool videos they have posted.
    edited January 2013
    You obviously know more about it than I do.. But, 155 HP out of 2.0 liters is nothing special. More efficient than a comparable 4 cylinder? Sure.. A substitute for a V-6? Not even close.. underpowered for the CX-5? Seems to be the general consensus.

Which was the subject of the post I was responding to..

You expect too from an Edmunds host. I moderate Prices Paid for every make and model. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• romil01romil01 Member Posts: 75
    Drove a 2014 Grand Touring today. While the exterior is gorgeous and it drove nicely, the interior is nowhere near as nice as the new Accord. The driver's seat felt hard, whereas the Accord's was really plush. Also, the Accord's center stack is much more modern looking. The nav system in the new 6 is pretty antiquated looking. As of now, an Accord EX-L V-6 with Nav for about the same price as a Mazda6 Grand Touring is much more appealing...especially the tons of extra power the V-6 offers over the 4-cylinder.
    A substitute for a V-6? Not even close.. underpowered for the CX-5? Seems to be the general consensus.

As you can see, I agreed with you on the V6 comment. But, in context, the 40mpg 2.0L is pretty good even with 155hp. Mazda should have used the 2.5L in the CX from the rip.

You expect too from an Edmunds host. I moderate Prices Paid for every make and model.

Thanks for clearing that up! I figured you guys were more in touch with your editors/evaluators. My apologies.
    It's possible that I'm just not very good at this, but the politically correct answer is that I'm here to moderate and assist the conversation between members. Opinions that I express are just my own. I have plenty of them. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• la4meadla4mead Member Posts: 347
    I found the points of view discussed in Aviboy's and Kyfdx's generally to be in agreement, complementary, and informative, despite one particular introductory sentence. I thank you both for posting them.

As for the V-6 and "underpowered"... what is underpowered? Is it just a comparison to other vehicles? Where does this comparison stop?

Personally, if I have all the power I need merging, passing, and hill climbing while attaining respectable fuel economy, that's what's important to me. Not only because of costs, but also because the fuel we use is not renewable. I very much enjoy the feeling of acceleration, but fuel economy is a higher priority, and in any car purchase I look to the future... the importance of the vehicle to be frugal with fuel will continue to increase. My opinion is for an automobile to be "modern" it must be capable of handling fuel as a precious commodity.

If a vehicle is really underpowered I would also avoid it... Is the car under-engineered in other ways, such as engine cooling, transmission, etc.?
  • robduramrobduram Member Posts: 4
    All those 2014 Mazda6's on the lot are pushing prices down for the "older" model.

I just bought a 2013 Mazda6 for $17k plus taxes and fees. So far I'm very happy with the car!
    What was the MSRP on your car?
  • tcn2ktcn2k Member Posts: 277
    A dealership in my hood is willing to give me 1k off the msrp of the GT model including the current incentive of 1k for loyalty. Total off is 2k off the msrp of the latest mazda 6. Is this a good deal?
    MSRP was $22250, so my price was over 5k lower than MSRP.
    Mazda6 i sport automatic.
    great price; how is the power of the 4-cyl engine?
    As long as you're not expecting a drag racer, it's fine. It's responsive, gets good acceleration when you need it. It's certainly better than the 2003 Taurus I traded it in for, and that had a 3.0 V6.

Others have test the 0-60 time at about 7.8 seconds.
    Good deal. I bought a 2007 at the end of the model year like you just did and got about $5500 off. I think at the end of February and beyond people will be getting deals like $6-7k off MSRP on leftovers. Selection will be more limited but deals will be there to be had. Expecially since the 2014 is changed so much both in looks and drivetrain. If I wanted an economical entry point into a good midsizer, a 2013 Mazda6 would be a great deal.
    Inventories are pretty low, so I don't know how long the getting will be good.
    I just looked, and another dealer near me is selling the same car at 16k.
    C'est la vie...

If you're in the northwest, look at Alan Webb in Vancouver WA.
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    ’ve found a dealer here in the metro Atlanta area who has two NEW 2012 Mazda6 s Grand Touring models for almost $10,000 off sticker price. Both have the Technology Package and Navigation System, both have Black Leather interior, the only difference is color- one Silver and the other is Black. Sticker on both is $34,390 and I could buy for $24,495 plus sales tax and $66 in tag/title fees.

I’m not interested in the Black, but Silver would actually be my second choice of all the colors offered. My favorite is the Fireglow Red, but at this stage in the game and at these prices, I’m fine with my Silver.

2013 s Grand Touring models are few and far between. I found one located about 300 miles away. It is Silver with the Technology Package but doesn’t have Navigation (not a deal breaker). It stickers for $32,570 and I could get it for $25,126 plus TTT.

If they were both local, I probably would go for the 2013 model. But it doesn’t seem worth it to travel 600 miles round-trip, pay $600+ more AND lose the NAV…right???

I have wanted a new Mazda6 since I test drove one of the new 2009 models shortly after they were released. My 2006 Mazda3 (which I still have) was having some minor warranty work and I had a few hours to kill, so they gave me the keys to a Kona Blue 2009 Mazda6 s Touring! I remember whimpering when I had to give the keys back and buying a new car at that particular time wasn’t realistic for me.

My only regret is that they discontinued Kona Blue after the 2010 model year! =( The color palette of the 2011-2013 models doesn’t do much for me. The Autumn Bronze and Steel Blue don’t seem to “fit” the car’s design, IMO. I think the old Performance White looked better than the White Platinum Pearl; Polished Slate is too dark for my taste and I could never own a Black car because I’d go insane trying to keep it clean! That leaves Ingot Silver and Fireglow Red, which are the two that I like. Fireglow Red sells like hotcakes and I can understand why! Even the 'i' Sport looks like million bucks in Red…

In my search, I've found three dealerships that offer hefty discounts AND they list the discounted prices on their websites, instead of making you call to get a 'sale' price-

MedCenter Mazda- Pelham (Birmingham), AL

Cory Fairbanks Mazda- Longwood (Orlando), FL

Russel Mazda- Baltimore, MD
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
    REF: 2339
    Understand that you are buying a 2 year old model (the 2014 is out) and that the depreciation is at least 30% especially on a high end model. While 10k off sticker seems like a deal, it is barely adequate for all the risk you are taking. I searched on cars dot com for a used 2012 s grand touring (all over the US). Found only 14 for sale with a wide price range from 22k to 29k. I'd shoot for a little more off (say 24k max) especially since it's the end of the month. Good luck...
    I think he understands he is buying a car that is two model years old and that is why they are taking 10 grand off the price. So you are saying that you have found USED 2012 Mazda6s GTs and some were asking $29000 and some were as low as $22000 and we don't even know if they had all the packages he is getting. So to say that $24,495 for a BRAND NEW one with the manufacturers 3 year bumper-to-bumper and 60k powertrain warranty isn't worth a little more is ridiculous. Sure, he can try to get a few bucks more off but that deal is already fantastic if that is the kind of car he wants. It's hardly "barely adequate".

Just what kind of risk are you referring to if the dealer has already taken the depreciation hit and he drives off in a car with 0 miles on it with all the new car warranties intact?
    ref:2341
    Ridiculous, hardly. My opinion - yes. Consider that 24.5 plus TTL will probably be closer to 26.5k otd. The risk is that the older model (gen 2) will not hold its value well now that that gen3 model (2014) is out and the price on it is very competitive. I was at my local dealer yesterday and looked at both the 2013 and 2014 models. I sat in the 2013 s grand touring (33k) on the showroom floor while the 2014 Sport (23.3k) was retrieved from the back lot. I admit that the s grand touring is STILL a lot of car for the money. Would i buy that 2 year old model - no. Someone else might, but they should know what they are getting in to. The 2013 is going for 5-6k off sticker now. Next month, who knows.
  • tundradweller1tundradweller1 Member Posts: 74
    Tested the 2014 Mazda 6 Sport AT. Very impressed with the performance for a 4 cyl. with almost the torque of a V-6. Handling rocked (of course). Ride was not bad considering the feedback, would stay with the 17" tires. Above average wind noise on the freeway (it was very windy) and the sight lines were not great, including the mirrors. Really like the touch screen/HD radio, far better than the Ford Touch. Still a top if not the best contender in this segment. Rock on Mazda.
    Just drove the 2013 Accord LX 4 cyl. Pleasantly surprised at the handling. Motor was decent but not as responsive as the 6's 2.5, CVT was a little weird but far better than the Altima 2.5. Quieter than the Mazda but still looks like a grocery getter.
    I won't touch a Fusion with all the early transmission issues and Ford's reluctance to fix them.
    Passat, under powered and worse MPG. Needs update to keep up.
    Still shopping....
    ref: 2343
    I am in a similar situation. Too many choices; lease up in 2 months. Have you considered the Kia Optima LX with Convenience PLUS pkg (msrp 23.3k). good incentives and discounts can be had.
    You have to add TTL with any car be it used, two year old new or brand new model so it's really not a factor except that he would be paying taxes on a lot less of a sale price. Mazda gen 1 didn't do bad when the gen 2 came out regards to holding value. I have a gen 1 and the value is not bad at all considering what I paid for it. A 2014 will depreciate $5000 as soon as you drive it home and you will be paying TTL on a lot higher price. If a car is kept for a long time that $10 grand off purchase price will be huge. IMO it's a great deal. Could he MAYBE get a few extra hundred with some work, possibly. But to walk in and get the $10k off with no hassle is a very good deal. Especially if that is exactly the car that someone wants in the first place.
    If I buy the 2012 s GT, I plan to keep it for at least five years. At that point, depreciation isn't a major factor. I will only be financing $12-$15k for no more than 48 months, so negative equity will never be an issue.

I plan to make a down of payment of $11k-$14k, depending on whether or not I accept a very generous offer from my mom and step-dad. Instead of trading-in my 2006 Mazda3, I am giving it to my nephew who gets his learner's permit in a few months. I struggled with the idea of "giving" a teenager a free car...but I'm giving it to with several requirements (or "strings" if you prefer)-

He must maintain at least a "B" average overall until graduation.
    He must pay for his own insurance, gas and scheduled maintenance.
    If he has an at-fault accident or gets ticketed for a moving violation prior to his 18th birthday, he loses the car until he turns 18.

Considering the fact that he's in Advanced Placement and has an A+ in all classes, the grade requirement is a non-issue. Since he won't have a car payment, requiring him to pay for the vehicle's operating expenses (insurance, maintenance, gas) is more than reasonable and will teach him discipline and responsibility.

I debated whether I should also make him pay for wear-and-tear items- tires, brakes, etc. But I couldn't live with myself if he ended up having an accident because he was driving on slick tires or bad brakes...I told his parents (my sister and bro-in-law) that we'll deal with those expenses as they arise...translation= Uncle Jason (me) will pay for them...although my parents have committed to paying half of any expenses that I end up covering.

My parents are also insisting on paying me for at least half the value of the car. It's worth over $7k, so they want to give me $3500 toward the value. I have $10k ear-marked for my down payment, but I'll put down $13,500 if I take the money from the folks....

At the quoted price of $24,495, my OTD total would be $26,030. I would only need to finance $12,500.

I just decided to send the dealer an email making an offer of $23,500 for the 2012. Actually, I offered $24,975 OTD which is $23,500 plus 6% sales tax and $66 for tag and title fees. For some reason, car dealers aren't very good at math...they might accept an offer of $23,500 for a car, but the OTD price ends up $1000 more than when I calculate it! =/
    I hope they accept or at least make a compromise offer slightly lower than your original quote. Given you expect to keep the car for 5 years, the deal sounds better than i first thought. Make sure the V-6 doesn't require premium gas (I'm not sure). I'm sure you know this but you can "give" the kid the car tax-free as long as the value is less than 13k. Today being the last day of the month might sway them to deal a bit more. Good luck and enjoy...
    I have looked at KIA but I have reservations. The better half drives a 2011 Sonata turbo (somewhat shared platform/same motors etc) and it has been back to the dealership for many issues. Front end pull (FINALLY replaced both struts) paint chipping off (partially re-painted) and numerous other gripes. The Optima has no spare tire and read numerous owners not getting the advertised MPG and paint issues. That being said I am passing on the Korean cars.
    REF: 2348
    I am surprised by the amount of issues you've had with the 2011 Sonata Turbo. i knew about the front end pull issue from the hyundai forum. But paint and numerous other gripes are not good. i drive a 2011 Sonata GLS (mfg: March 2010) with only 18k miles and my lease ends in 2 months. If i can't find a deal on a similar mid-size sedan, I am considering keeping the Sonata for another year or two (5 year warranty on most major items). Can you expound on your other gripes - i am curious?
    FWIW, I sat in a 2014 mazda 6 yesterday and was very impressed. The only thing that sux is you can only get a manual driver seat in the lower-end Sport model. It did have height adjustment but it wasn't easy to pump.
    It’s amazing how much things can change in just one day!

I emailed the Internet Sales Rep yesterday around 11am and made an lower offer than their ‘sale’ price. Their price was $24,495 ($24,995 actually, but since I currently own a 2006 Mazda3, I get the $500 Loyalty Incentive. My offer was for $23,500 and I was hoping they’d counter with $24,000, which would have acceptable to me….

I didn’t hear back all afternoon and I put it on the backburner. I had plans to meet two of my friends for an early dinner and met them around 6pm. I told them about my pending auto purchase plans and they wanted to see the car. So we cut dinner short and set out for the 30-minute drive into the abyss of South Atlanta!

I pointed them in the direction of the car and went into the showroom to seer if the my sales rep was still there. He was already gone for the day, so I asked to speak to the Sales Manager. Eventually, this morbidly obese, unshaven blob of a man slowly wobbled in my direction. It was 8pm on a Thursday, but that was still no excuse for his hideous, wrinkled “dress” shirt to be partially untucked from his equally hideous polyester slacks. His physical appearance and the miserable expression on his face made me start to wonder if this was the sort of dealer I wanted to do business with….

Over the next five minutes or so, he was incredibly rude and told me the $24,495 was a take-it or leave-it price!!! I pointed out, in a sarcastic tone that was completely appropriate considering how PISSED OFF I was! If the brief moment of blurred vision, tightness in my chest and shortness of breath were any indication, my blood pressure had to be well into stroke/aneurism territory thanks to that nasty little troll of a man. I tried to avoid swearing, because screaming profanity and making a scene in public makes you look like trailer trash, no matter how justified you are…but as I walked away and kicked the glass door open hard enough to make it slam against the glass window and almost break, he made some sort of loud and rude comment, so I made him a couple of one-finger hand-puppets, if you know what I mean!

We got back into the car to leave and, as I buckled up and the headlights came on, I noticed Krispy Kreme (the troll) standing in the window right in front of me! For a split-second, I thought about creating a drive-thru for their showroom…but I was driving my mom’s new Mazda CX-9 and hitting him would likely total it,……what a jerk, though…and he isn’t off the hook, but I want my new car first.;……

Part 2 of the saga will be posted below very shortly!
    edited February 2013
    Friday morning, I took my mom’s CX-9 to the dealership where she bought it for a warranty repair (gasket protruding from side of headlight assembly, minor cosmetic issue) and to have the pinstriping re-done on the rear quarter panel. It was also time for her first oil change and they owed us a final detailing because it didn’t get one the night we bought it because it was so late.

I really like their Internet Sales Manager and he was coordinating a loaner car for me since it would take 6-7 hours to; finish her car. I called him when I was about 30 minutes away and he told me they had three loaners to choose from- a bright green Mazda2, a baby blue Mazda2 or a silver Mazda5. I chuckled and, after a moment of silence, told him I was waiting for the punch line….but it wasn’t a joke! Since I’m probably bigger than a Mazda2, I told him I’d take the Mazda5 if that was the only other choice.

Then I started telling him about my experience with the jerk from the night before. He asked me why I hadn’t contacted him about buying a Mazda6. I told him that I checked out his inventory and it was almost all 'i' Sport models and a handful of Touring and Touring Plus, but no s Grand Touring. He told me he would start trying to locate one for me and see if he could do a dealer trade, then he’d let me know and quote a price. I wasn’t holding my breath, but told him to go for it.

Since I was shopping for a Mazda6, he pulled a 2013 Mazda6 'i' Touring Plus from inventory to use as my loaner for the day. It was Autumn Bronze, the last color I’d choose, but beggars can’t be choosers.

After I had spent a few hours with the car, I started thinking that the 2.5L/5AT was more than adequate and was much more practical than the 3.7L V6 in the ‘s’ model. So I called my guy and asked him to start looking for an 'i' Grand Touring w/ Technology Package instead. He called me back barely an hour later and had found one in Fireglow Red (my first choice, which I wasn’t going to get in an s model) with Beige interior. It was located in Jacksonville, Florida which is about six hours away from Atlanta. The sticker price was $30,530 and he could sell it to me for $23,656 plus TTT ($25,141 OTD).

I told him I’d take it and would put a deposit down on it when I returned that evening to pick up my mom’s CX-9 and return the loaner. When I returned around 7pm, he told me that all was well with the trade except it would be late next week before the car would arrive due to logistics and the distance involved. He also said there would be a cost to cover the expense of the trade, probably around $400. I wasn’t thrilled with the wait, but understood the expense of paying someone to drive round-trip and fueling the cars.

I called him back this morning and told him I would drive down there and make the swap on Monday. He checked with his boss and he had no problem with it. So I’m picking up the car to drive down tomorrow afternoon and leaving around 5am on Monday morning and I’ll be driving my brand new 2013 Mazda6 'i' Grand Touring back home!!! They said I could wait until Tuesday evening, after work, to come back and finalize all the paperwork to actually purchase the car.

I didn’t realize this until yesterday, but the 2013 'i' Touring Plus and 'i' Grand Touring have the 18” wheels that were previously used only on the ‘s’ Grand Touring! It makes a big difference in the car’s appearance, especially from the side view. The only tip-off that it’s not an ‘s’ model is the tailpipe. But I can live without the cool looking dual exhaust to save a few thousand bucks and get another 3-4mpg!!!

I’m very excited, especially since I had given up on getting one in Fireglow Red and it was my first color choice by far! So, I'm paying $23,656 for a car with a sticker price of $30,530- a discount of $6,854. I think it's a SWEET deal....what do you guys think???
  • mrchuck1mrchuck1 Member Posts: 21
    That is a super low price for an absolutely great car.
    ! paid over 30,000 dollars fro my 2010 Mazda GTi in fire red with beige leather interior.
    A stunningly good looking car that is now over 3 years old with 36,000 miles on it.
    I drove it to Calif from Dallas, and overall mileage was above 32 mpg,,,and I drove fast.
    What a safe road car it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The 2.5 litre 4 cyl motor has PLENTY of power,,,, and my gas mileage was above 32 mpg.

I use the MAZDA customer website to log in all my oil changes, tire rotations, etc.
    Never had to do anything to the car, but required maintenance and tire rotation.

You will have the same with yours.
  • somber1girlsomber1girl Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2013
    I have been waiting for a red 2014 Mazda 6 Grand Touring to get to the dealership here for almost a month now. They finally got one in yesterday so I went to make a deal on it. I am a Mazda girl through & through and love the car. My problem now is that the payment on the lease seems ridiculously high compared to my past Mazda 6 leases. The one they got in is almost the highest price you can get--$32140--in this area (Utah) because of the forward cruise control thing and factory paint shield. They are willing to give me about $1000 off MSRP which is supposedly a big discount for this new car right now. The residual is suppose to be 61% but they are still quoting me a payment of almost $500 for a 3 year lease and $450 range for 4 year with only 10k miles/yr (52% residual). What the heck?! The price is almost exactly what I paid when I leased my 2009 Mazda 6. My payment on that for a 3 year/15000 mi lease was only $378/mo. Any ideas on why this might be? Am I being hit with extra fees that I'm not aware of?? Any help would be appreciated!
    edited February 2013
    REF: 2353
    It'a probably a little bit of everything. Price, fees, terms. Ask for a breakdown of the costs that include the following:
    msrp, sell price, money factor, residual %, acq fee (595), doc fee (completely optional in Utah), tax rate on leases. Then wait for a response from one of us geeks or use this easy online lease calculator:
    http://www.leaseguide.com/calc.htm

Do not jump on a BAD deal just because you love this new car! As many have said, a car is just a commodity. tons of them out there...

http://blog.truecar.com/2011/07/26/which-additional-fees-should-i-pay-at-the-dea- lership-what-is-the-doc-fee/#comment-53152
    $1K off MSRP isn't enough to lower the price to what you are looking for. The money factor through Chase Bank is also a bit high right now, 0.00168. Are you doing any cap cost reduction? Hopefully not, even though it means a higher monthly payment.
  • somber1girlsomber1girl Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2013
    I was hoping to put as little down as possible, so only planned on $1000 max out of pocket.
    Are there any other ways to try to get the payments lower?
    My biggest issue is just the fact that in numbers, the 2014 has a higher residual value than the 2009 mazda I bought so seemingly should be lower payments. I am completely confused as to why the payments are almost $100 more compared to the previous payment I had.
    I don't know all the exact numbers to put into the lease calculator thing from the previous response, but when I estimate, it still seems like lower numbers than the dealership is quoting me. I also feel that I am in a no-win situation, as I put down a $500 deposit with the dealership already and am now having issues trying to work out a deal with them. Perhaps I don't have much chance because I showed I was too serious by putting a deposit down?
    edited February 2013
    Normally, deposits are refundable by the dealer, so if you can't get the price down to where you it, I'm fairly certain the dealer has to give your money back. Have you tried getting quotes from multiple dealers? Not sure where you are in UT.

Without the breakdown of the fees or knowing the total cap cost the lease is based on, it's impossible to tell why your payments would be that high. Brand new models are generally high in demand, so getting a great deal will be tough.

I used a lease calculator to figure out the monthly payment on a Grand Touring with an MSRP of $31,965 (pretty close to the one you are looking at). The invoice price off of Edmunds is $30,060. For a 36-month, 15K/year lease, with NV sales tax included, the monthly payment would be $416 with a 60% residual and 0.00168 money factor (using the invoice price as the net cap cost). Of course, this is assuming zero drive off, no fees included in the price, and using the invoice as the selling price, which isn't realistic. So in reality, I don't think $500/month is too far off base for this car right now.

The funny thing is, I got a quote last month for a 24 month lease, 15K/year miles on a $63,000 2013 Mercedes Benz E Class for only $615/month...not bad for a car that's double the price...lots of incentives though.
  • huskerfan5huskerfan5 Member Posts: 165
    edited September 2003
    Your calculator isn't lying. If that car has a 61% residual, the capitalized cost on that lease agreement will show that the dealer is getting more than MSRP on the car. You'd have a nice selection of luxury cars with MSRPs over $40K for $500 a month. I recently negotiated my brother's Volvo S60 AWD with lots of options for $410 + tax with nothing else out of pocket. The MSRP was $41K.
    She had the collapsed PCV hose which causes gas fumes in the interior. Non retracting seat belt. The battery was dead last weekend, had it tested and it still had 560 of the 600 CCA's it's rated for. Out of warranty, so I cleaned the posts/terminals and slow charged it overnight. So far so good.
    She has had it in for a couple others things, can't recall what they were.
    Neither of us are that particular and over all the car has been good, she already has 70,000 miles on it. Still the front end and paint issues have soured me on the brand, especially for the amount of trips to the dealership it took to resolve them.
  • kellerwdkellerwd Member Posts: 1
    I am currently negotiating a new Mazda 2014 Grand Touring with my local dealership. The dealership is telling me in order to receive the Mazda loyalty discount ($1,000) I have to finance the car through Mazda-Chase with a 3.9% rate, non-negotiable. The Mazda-Chase finance site says the current finance rate for the Mazda 2014 for 60 months is 2.9%. Does anyone else know if this is nationwide or only the local dealerships setting the finance rate? Thanks for any assistance provided.
    edited February 2013
    from mazda site:
    "*2014 Mazda6 Exclusive Owner Appreciation Reward provides $1,000 for current Mazda owners who purchase or lease a new 2014 Mazda6 through Mazda Capital Services. The Reward CANNOT be combined with other private offers but CAN be combined with other public purchase incentives including, but not limited to, customer cash back, lease and APR incentives/offers. Proof of eligibility and residency required. Must present dealer with a copy of current registration or title, driver's license or other proof of residency at time of purchase. The offer is transferable within the owner's household (buyer must live at the same address). The 2014 Mazda6 Exclusive Owner Appreciation Reward $1,000 has no cash value and must be applied to the purchase or lease structure as a capital cost reduction. Program period is 1/15/2013–4/1/2013. See participating dealer for complete details."

Rate depends on your credit score and history. I doubt someone with a recent bankruptcy, or the like, would qualify for 2.9%; think about it...