Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Mazda6 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    trying different dealers?

I got quotes $1000+ over MSRP for a Protege in 2001 and ended-up buying one at about $1500-1600 under MSRP - a great deal in Canada where there is less room to negotiate on a car at that price.

Moral of the story: I liked HOW the car drove so much and I was willing to go shop elsewhere - I ended up getting a better price than what I originally thought I could get and found a very decent dealer close to my house on top of that.

If you liked the M6 better and they FINALLY offered you a good price, you lost.

Dinu
  • wenreder1wenreder1 Member Posts: 26
    I went to my second Mazda Dealer yesterday (Sunday) located in Tampa, Florida. The first Dealer I went to (alone at that time) was last Thursday in Lakeland. The Tampa Mazda Dealer my Wife and I went to yesterday, is one of a very large group of dealers (with the same "family" name) that sells about 15 different makes of vehicles. We actually purchased a new '03 MDX from their Acura Dealer (right next door to the Mazda Dealer) about 6 months ago. Granted yesterday (Sunday) was very busy, holiday weekend and end-of-month, but we were ignored for the 20 minutes we walked the lot and then another 20 minutes we were actually inside. The good thing is that we had a chance to see every vehicle in their lot, new and used, and when inside we "played" with the Mazda6i on the showroom floor, opening the trunk, doors, adjusting seats, etc. At least we got a real "feel" sitting in the vehicle and a chance to examine "fit-and-finish". But there were Managers and Sales staff just kinda hangin' around, VERY non-professional. The strange thing is that we actually had an "invitation" from their Web Sales person (who went home earlier that day), who gave us a great price quote (via e-mail) on a particular model we "located" via Mazda Web Site "locater" !! We finally had to walk INTO the Manager's office and ask if we could get some help !! About 15 minutes later we finally test drove the Mazda6s we went there to "see", but it lacked several key options we WANTED. We actually wanted the Dealer to sit down and WRITE UP a SALE for an '04 Mazda6, or at least "talk" to us about it and take some sort of deposit, but they were 100% focused on ridding their lot of all '03's and ONLY '03's !! I am currently looking for another Dealer in the Brandon/Valrico, Florida area, but believe it or not, Mazda Dealers around here are so scarce :-( !!
  • combustible1combustible1 Member Posts: 264
    well.. I finally, after months of wavering back and forth on EVERYTHING. 6i?.. 6s?.. Steel grey?.. Redfire?.. TSX instead?.. then back to the 6 again, and on, and on..

FINALLY, I decide to take the plunge. I located a 6i AT Redfire with SAB/SAC and ABS w/traction, cloth seats, lip spoiler, and was going to settle for the manual seat.

ok.. this is it! After testing out the car, and waiting around an hour + on a busy night, it's 9:15pm and I had already worked with one of the internet sales team, who quoted me a price of $19, 430 (incl. doc fee) via email. This price I assumed was with the lip spoiler included.. it wasn't.

My invoice calculation with this car was $19,186, which figuring $100 labor on the lip spoiler that I included in this figure.

Turns out their quote of $19,430 DIDN'T include the spoiler. Now, the quote is $19,780.. about $600 over!

The sales mgr. wouldn't budge.
    I walked.
    Now, I'm wondering if I should've just taken the damn thing.
  • pd14pd14 Member Posts: 3
    Anyone hear of the new financing on the mazdas. I'm getting ready to buy and the current one expired yesterday. Didn't know if anyone had any advance knowlege?
  • justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    what are the new incentives on 03 6s models without sport package?

i keep looking at Accords, but i wonder if i am forcing myself to like them. the 6 just feels better. but is it a huge mistake? is Mazda going the way of Daewoo and possibly Isuzu soon? will the car be worth anything later on? will that nice tight upscale feeling go by the wayside sooner than expected?

just have to hope that Mazda/Ford got their ducks in a row, quality wise, with this platform....at least the tranny is made by someone else, haha.
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    Mazda going the way of Daewoo and possibly Isuzu soon?

Ford's got deep pockets and Mazda's turning it around with cars like the 6, the halo RX8 and the upcoming segment killing Mada3.

will the car be worth anything later on?

How much later? If you're buying a new car worrying about residuals three years down the road, don't buy a new car. Buy a 3 year old used car thar's already absorbed a 40-50% drop in value. From 3 on the car's depreciation slows considerably. When you part ways with it in 2006-7 you'll find you maybe lost 20-25%.

will that nice tight upscale feeling go by the wayside sooner than expected?

It does on all cars.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Justin and blueguy, this is Prices Paid and Buying Experience. Your conversation would be better placed in one of the general topics on Mazdas. Thanks. :)
  • thegreatvudinithegreatvudini Member Posts: 103
    Your price quoted, was that MSRP minus the $3000 rebate, or was that the negotiated price, then you subtract the $3000?
    to be announced on 9/4, per MazdaUSA email.
  • chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    u got burnt. man, it really hurts.
    but maybe it was for the better.
  • new6ownernew6owner Member Posts: 1
    Hey all, Just bought my new Mazda 6s on Sunday.
    Here's what I got and paid:

Mazda 6s V6 5mt
    Leather
    Sunroof
    Comfort
    Wheel Locks

$20,757.45 Out the Door.

Was originally going for the 0% financing, but the rebate with 3.75% offered at the dealership worked out to lower payments, and lower taxes.

Zoom-zoom
    what color?? congrats.
  • livaudaislivaudais Member Posts: 55
    Congrats! Where do you live in NC? I'm seeing more and more 6's in the Triangle area.

CL
    thanks for the empathy.

Life sucks, then you die. (sorry, feelin' a bit maudlin right about now).

Screw it.. maybe I'll just take the plunge and just get the TSX instead. Or hey, maybe they'll announce a new incentive plan, one where Mazda pays YOU interest.

either that or a $4000 rebate would be nice. lol.

congrats to new6owner, btw.
  • drongardrongar Member Posts: 1
    Yesterday I got a Mazda6s for $800 (after 1500 coupons) under the invoice, 0% APR. The car was located at a different dealer. Today, I get a call that the car has 500 miles on it, supposedly all from driving between the dealers. Note that the coupons and 0% APR expired yesterday, so if I decided for a different car, I'd loose those deals. I know that the dealer doesn't want to loose the deal, they already offered me some services for free.

Would you take the car or not? If you would, what would you ask for (further discount, extended warranty, accessories)?
    Tough call. I would probably bargain them down some more, or look for some other extras before I would complete that deal. But that doesn't mean I'm right necessarily.

Essentially, if I'm understanding you correctly, you're paying 700 over invoice before coupons?/rebates? are deducted.. an average deal, I would say.

now, factor in the 500 miles, that amount becomes a little harder to swallow. As somebody once suggested, check the build date on the car on the side of the door. If it's fairly recent, then the dealer story about the miles maybe be legit.

Bottom line though: getting 1500 off, plus 0%?? THAT'S a good deal, regardless of what the car price was before those were applied.
  • m6sm6s Member Posts: 2
    Got my 2003 6S a week ago. Think I got a pretty good deal?

M6S V6 5 Speed automatic
    options: leather seat, moonroof, comfort package, value sport package (i.e. rear spoiler, side sill extensions, front & rear sport facia, sport type exhaust outlets)

before tax & fees: $19,000
    Out the door: $21,296

what do you think?
    that is a super deal. too good.
    stay the same through 9/8.
    Yes, incentives are through 9/8. 1500 off, 1000 loyalty cash, 250 rev it up (use mazda credit, then pay it off with someone else), $500 grad cash. Total discounts: 3250.

Take the car at invoice and tack those on and that's a scary sweet deal.
    for me it would only be $1500. grad program is for recent grads, and loyalty cash is for people that have Mazdas, right?
    Loyalty cash is if you have family with a mazda - mother, brother, cousin, finace, etc. A friend of mine claimed to be my fiance and then she planned to use my sister's Mazda as her loyalty vehicle. The dealership was all for it. The ties can be mighty slim. If you have a female friend who owns a mazda, just have her go in with you and claim to be your half-sister. They don't and won't know the difference.
    my step mom has a 94 626 that she loves, but that car is too old i think.

no one else i know owns Mazdas. oh well.
    and still get the $1000.00 + $250.00
    congrats on the new wheels.
    You paid $19,000 on that car? what MSRP? that looks like seriously under invoice. right?
    If Mazda has a 1500 rebate the sale price better be at least 1200 under invoice.
  • m6sm6s Member Posts: 2
    msrp = 25,160

after 1500 rebate + 500 grad rebate + 1000 loyalty rebate = 22,160

after 2 hours of negotiation, the dealer was willing to go with 19,000

btw, invoice = 22,400

so far, i love the car! But just found out that one of the light bulbs in the headlight has NO function. (I called the dealer and they said it's there only for cosmetic reasons) do you guys know anything about it?
  • dmbfandmbfan Member Posts: 2
    Here's my story. First time EVER going in to buy a car. Didn't get it...yet. I'm just questioning some of the numbers. The dealership I went to would have to get the car through another one. Please keep in mind, all numbers are approx.
    * Started with car at invoice, added fees, subtracted rebates/trade:
    Dealer fees:
    ------------
    Fee (insurance keeping it on the lot, etc)
    Travel Fee ($1/mile to get car from other dealership)
    Profit (for dealership)
    Total fees: $580

Rebates/Trade in:
    -----------------
    Trade
    College Grad
    $1500 Cash rebate
    Total Rebates/Trade: $2,200
    (yes, I have an old car! - She's hot with the ladies though...ha!)
    MSRP: $25500
    Invoice: $23000
    After fees/rebates/etc: $20830
    TTL: $1900 (6.5% MN State Tax, $400 fees)

My trade in was extremely low because the car isn't in the best of shape. The dealer was firm and didn't want to negotiate too much (if at all).
    Here are my questions:
    1) Should I go back and take it, or would I be better off going to the dealership that actually has the car (about 1 1/2 hr drive)?
    2) What the frig is up with the fees? Are they legit?
    3) Does the Value Sport Package qualify for the $1500 or 0% deal?
    * I was also thinking about waiting until after 9/8 to see if there is some insanely crazy special offer. The more I think about it the more I wish I would have taken it (doh)! Any input would be great...thanks!

- DMBFan
    But just found out that one of the light bulbs in the headlight has NO function. (I called the dealer and they said it's there only for cosmetic reasons) do you guys know anything about it?

Ask that on the mazda6 board. sounds weird but it could be true.

BTW, you haggled 400 additional off the car? That's very impressive. where'd you start to get to 19k? Did you massively low-ball them?
    that is where the fog lights would be if you had them.
    IMO, the travel fees are bogus. They should not charge $ for getting the car from another dealer. You are doing them a favor by buying from them instead of the other dealer. Don't pay it, and tell them you'll walk if they do.

The insurance fees to keep on the lot is also bogus. Don't they have to keep all their cars on the lot? That's part of doing business. Pretty soon, they will charge you fees for hiring sales people anf keep them on payroll... LOL
  • arib0ndarib0nd Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know if one can use a S plan + mazda rev it up certificate on a purchase?

Thanks
    u can
  • jmulholljmulholl Member Posts: 29
    $19,750 for MT s with leather and comfort pkg. MRSP was $22,820. Rosenthal Mazda, Gaithersburg, MD. Dealer financed for 42months at 3.6%. Nice people, easy to do business with. Negotiated entirely over phone and email. Contact via cars.com.
       Ran into an exceptional number of sleezeballs, who did not want to give info, but tried desperately to get me into the showroom so they could apply pressure. Russel Mazda catonsville md was the worst. I think it is very important to nail down a price before going to the showroom to buy the car.

Re mileage: 500mi. is a lot, especially if it is a MT. I passed on a number of cars because of high mileage. I lucked out at Rosenthal, and got one with 4mi. Prob. because they had a fairly large inventory. Most lots are running out, which means the remaining cars will tend to have high mileage.
    can work both ways.
    a personal visit seems to invite better responses and willingness to deal, rather than talking over the phone. my experience.
    The way I got my 6s is pretty circuitous.
    First, the particulars:
    * Speed Yellow (yeah, baby!)
    * AT, V6
    * Roof, Bose, Leather-Comfort
    * Appearance (but no rear spoiler, bummer)

MSRP $26,055
    Invoice $23,611
    I paid invoice + TTL, less $1000 loyalty rebate, less $250 Mazda credit, less $250 RevItUp coupon (Thanks, miata10!).

Now the crazy story.
    I first located it in Merced (120 miles) from SF-SJ Bay Area. Since it was so far away, I didn't really consider it, but the inventory of Yellow s's here was dwindling fast. In late August, I found it at Menlo Mazda, right up the peninsula (22 miles away). Drove right up to see it. Turns out, it was already traded to another dealer in Salinas (80 mi. to the South). Offered @invoice. The salesguy personally went down to drive it back to his dealership. Total damage: 310 miles on odo. My wife and I didn't like it too much, but I figured the total trips it traveled from/to the 3 different dealerships accounted for 120+80+80= at least 280 miles. Only some 30 miles are unaccounted for. I know the last 80 (from Salinas to Redwood City) was in good hands, since my salesman was a really nice guy. All in all, a super experience on a super car.
    BTW, does anyone have any suggestion on how much it would cost to add a spoiler?
    vudini
    Forgot to mention.
    All this and 0% financing for 5 years (which I chose over the $1500 rebate). Savings over the normal 4% loan over 5 years would be around $2,500.
  • wenreder1wenreder1 Member Posts: 26
    As I wrote in Post #255, I visited my local (Tampa, Florida) Mazda Dealer the Saturday before Labor Day (8/30) and they had NO clue (or at least played dumb) to '04 Mazda6's. I was dead serious that day as I sat in front of the Manager, with my downloaded (.pdf) '04 price / option sheet and I came with checkbook in hand, ready to place an order and drop down a deposit. Well obviously I didn't place an '04 order, but I DID tell him other people I read about on the Mazda6 Forum in edmunds.com have placed their orders and I think that some Dealer in Santa Cruz (?), CA already HAS 04's on their lot. Well four days later (Thurs. 9/4) I get a call from the Dealer in Tampa and he says he has "great news" for me !! He will be able to start taking orders for '04's in about SIX WEEKS, around mid-October. I said.... but didn't you hear me when I told you people in California have already placed orders and I think they may actually HAVE 04's on their floor right now !! He told me that California is the "Port of Entry" and naturally they will get them first. I reminded him that the Mazda6's are MADE IN U.S.A. (Michigan ?) and what is he talking about ?? He said if I am interested, to call him in six weeks, and he quickly said goodbye. Am I confused ?? Do I have WRONG FACTS ???? Am I just dreaming this up ?? I will be the first to admit I am wrong, but PLEASE.... someone out there.... please give me the FACTS on ordering 04's !! (and if ANY Florida Mazda Dealers are reading THIS, please contact me and I'll drive over tomorrow and place an order for my '04 !!)
  • kannonkannon Member Posts: 18
    We bought our 6i a few weeks ago from Faulkner Mazda in Philadelphia. They were one of the few that had a 6i with SAB/SAC. Did all negotiations via email. Can't say enough good things about the experience. Got the car for $100 over invoice with college rebate and 0% interest. I drove up there on a Thursday nite, got in late but the sales people stayed after closing to get the car ready for my drive home. Highly recommend them.
  • scmike1scmike1 Member Posts: 10
    My math is fine. I just described it poorly. MSRP was $24,820. I got the $1500 rebate. Invoice including $150 marketing allocation $22,710. I paid $23,060 plus TTL. Bottom line: it was $350 over invoice. BTW, it was the last V5 5 spd at the dealership without the Sport Package.
    I'm baffled, did you pay over invoice then? Why? If there's a rebate of $1500 and it's the end of the year the car should cost about $1500 under invoice - so around 21,210 or thereabouts.
  • hokiedoghokiedog Member Posts: 24
    Already mentioned this in the Mazda6 forum, but my local dealerships both claim that they won't place their first order for 04s until this month.

Of course, the dealership started telling you lies when you started pressing them... I'd avoid em if you have a choice.
  • dmbfandmbfan Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone heard if there will be any more deals on 03's? The website points out that the current one ended on 9/8.
    however, their pricing indicates that rebates are valid thru 9/30!
  • arib0ndarib0nd Member Posts: 2
    You can call 1-800-639-1000 to find out for sure what rebates are being offered by Mazda.

Ari
    Rebate on the 6 is up to 2k for non sport models (SE1). Add in the other stuff and you can get to around 3750 off invoice. Now that's a deal.
  • scmike1scmike1 Member Posts: 10
    Paid 23,060 and they took off the $1500 rebate making it 21,560. Invoice (including $150 for mktg) was 21,210. Invoice (21,210) plus 350 profit for the dealer made the selling price $21,560. That's what I paid plus TTL.
  • rponsetirponseti Member Posts: 35
    Rebate was up to 2k last night on the website and know it's back to what it was with the new expiration date. Anyone know what's going on?
    As long as you're happy with the price...
    no more loyalty rebate and $2000 back only if you pay cash.

In all my deal in August was better.
    Invoice price. take off 1250 loyalty rebates and 0%apr loan