Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Mazda6 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• kstukstu Member Posts: 13
    I don't know if they are writing deals on '04 cars yet, but I was very pleased with Lakeland Automall. My son and I each bought a car through Jerry. He deals more with Ford than Mazda, but he got me exactly what I wanted and at a very good price. He will deal straight with you. I was much more impressed there than with the other dealer near you.
  • thegreatvudinithegreatvudini Member Posts: 103
    I had the exact same deal as you.

Invoice - 1250 and 0%

Actually, I also got the $250 coupon from miata10. Thank you again.

Salesman did not counter, so I could have probably gotten it for even less if I wanted to.
  • wenreder1wenreder1 Member Posts: 26
    I have been to Lakeland Automall (Madza division) twice already. Dealt with a new "kid" (sales) named Travis, but all-in-all they were a hell of a lot nicer, friendlier and helpful than Ferman Madza in Tampa. As I posted previously, my Wife and I were actually "humiliated" at Ferman Mazda, and what annoyed us most is that we just plunked down $42K in February at Ferman Acura for an '03 MDX. Although Ferman Acura is highly pro, their Madza Dealership right next door is anything but !! At 50 years old I have bought dozens of new cars in my life. Truth is, I do much less work on my own vehicles now than when I was 25, but let's face it, a two year old car only needs oil changes, tire rotations, brakes and occasional fluid flushing. Still, I ALWAYS consider the plain fact that I might have to take my new vehicle back to the Dealer for service, recall work or whatever, and when chosing a NEW vehicle, although price is always a serious consideration, it's only 50% of my deciding factor.... the other 50% is the QUALITY of the MECHANICS at THAT Dealership. In the past I have learned far to many times what half-azz mechanics can do to a once "new" vehicle. It sounds like you live in my "area". You may be reluctant to give me any info, but I am willing to "speak" (phone or email) to you and ask about your personal experiences with Lakeland Auto Mall, as Travis just CALLED ME TODAY and wants to take my ORDER for an '04. He says about 8 - 12 week delivery if I order next week. I am so close to making my move..... placing that order !! Please help if you can. Thanks !!
    Lakeland Automall is local to me. (Polk County) I've never been to Ferman except by e-mail. The other dealer I referred to was Brandon. I probably can't help too much about dealer service. I buy my vehicles new, keep them a long time, and do all maintenance and repairs myself. My last new car was a '92 626 (very good car, 190k miles). I bought that one at Lakeland Mazda before it was bought out by the Automall. I only had it in for warranty service once for an O2 sensor...no complaints. I shopped the Automall two other times: '98 for a pickup and '00 for my daughter's Focus. We bought elsewhere, but had a very positive impression of Lakeland Automall. It was easy to go back there for the two cars we bought this summer. See my profile if you want to talk further.

-Ken
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    I ALWAYS consider the plain fact that I might have to take my new vehicle back to the Dealer for service, recall work or whatever, and when chosing a NEW vehicle, although price is always a serious consideration, it's only 50% of my deciding factor.... the other 50% is the QUALITY of the MECHANICS at THAT Dealership.

Why? Every Mazda dealer wants to do your service as they make money off it. Where you buy your car and where you get it serviced have nothing to do with one another. It's an old wive's tale that somehow the service will be better if you bought there. Bah. Dealerships don't make jack off the sale of a car. It's used cars, parts and service that make up the majority of a dealership's revenues.
  • wenreder1wenreder1 Member Posts: 26
    .... especially since I purchased my '00 Acura 3.2TL in Milford, Connecticut and have since moved to Florida. Ferman Acura (Tampa) did the seat belt latch recall on that car for me (I waited a couple of hours for that) but they did tell me that if my Acura had to be left overnight or a few days at their Dealership for service, I WOULD NOT be entitled to a "loaner car" since I did NOT buy that Acura from THEM !! Because we purchased the '03 Acura MDX from them, THAT vehicle would qualify for a loaner car if needed.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Yes, I've heard/read similar reports, that if you are servicing a vehicle at the same dealership from which it is purchased you are more likely to receive considerations like loaners, working you in at the last minute, that sort of thing.

I think blueguy has a good point in theory but it might not always work out in the practical sense.

There has been lots of conversation about this sort of thing on the Smart Shopper board in the past ... that's a good place to find some of our very helpful salesfolks members to ask directly.
  • chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    these two departments in most large dealership dont even KNOW each other.
    No point in buying a car from a dealership just because it has a good service setup.

My view:
    Buy it from where you get the best deal.
    Service it from where u get the best service.
  • midwesttradermidwesttrader Member Posts: 291
    Put a $100 deposit down to hold an inbound 6s, Redfire Metallic/Black, 5MT, sport pkg, luxury pkg, moonroof, Bose, SABAC, etc. MSRP = $26030.

Car is supposed to be built the first week of October. Very happy to get the manual tranny and the options I wanted. Hope to use a $250 Rev It Up coupon + incentives at delivery. Final pricing to follow.
  • tamiyaracertamiyaracer Member Posts: 9
    I've been looking in the Seattle area for an s model; all I find are 2003's and all that's left seem to have the Sport Package, at least in the color I want. So no $2000 rebate. It seems to me that I might as well wait 2 more weeks, until October, to see if Mazda offers anything new for the '03 models with the 1SE option. If not, I might as well get a 2004 model as the price can't be that much different. Anyone have any advice, or insight into the 2004 pricing?
    Also, someone mentioned above that one should be able to get an '03 now for $1500 below invoice. How is that possible? The best I have found is $500 over invoice.
    Thanks in advance,
    Wayne
    Also, someone mentioned above that one should be able to get an '03 now for $1500 below invoice. How is that possible? The best I have found is $500 over invoice.

If the car has a $2000 rebate, then you'd start negotiating from about $2500 below invoice. It's that simple. The dealer will obviously not go for it right off the bat but they need to make a sale.

Selling a year old 2003 Mazda6 for $500 over invoice is an insult as the dealer will make over $2500 on that car. $500 profit is decent. $1000 extreme. $2500? That's like they raided your piggybank.
    '04 prices are posted on the Mazda site, right on the 6 page (to the right). I don't believe prices are that much higher.
    There are incentives for '04 1SE equipped cars.... 2.9% financing and a $500 rebate. Unfortunately there are none on the lots yet around here yet.

Check www.mazdausa.com for full details.
  • cheesehead6cheesehead6 Member Posts: 68
    Tamiyaracer in #317 says he/she might wait for the '04s as the pricing surely won't be much different. Well, he/she may be in for an unpleasant shock. The recently released Mazda pricing forces consumers to load up on all sorts of packages and options they may not want in order to get the one piddly thing they do want. Anyone who wants an "S" model equipped with side air-bags (an excellent safety feature that should now be standard) will be compelled to purchase a moonroof, a sport package and a Bose sound system, about $1500 of stuff some people could do without. This is not only an instance of Mazda attempting to hold the consumer up for ransom, but an example of extreme corporate irresponsiblity. Mazda seems to wish to actively discourage motorists from equipping their cars with the latest safety gear. I want side airbags. I don't want a Bose or a moonroof. Fog lights might be good, but why must I be compelled to put a rear spoiler on a street car? Trying to get side bags on an '04 i model will break the bank. To get them you have to buy a sport package, a security package [ABS is no longer standard on i's] plus 17" alloy wheels. Mazda's 04 pricing is truly byzantine. I am about to see a Passat dealer pretty soon;I think Mazda has lost me. Tell your friends to watch out.
    Thanks for the '04 pricing info - I missed that previously on the Mazda site. cheesehead 6, you are absolutely right, they have shuffled the option packages and made it more difficult to get what you really might want or not want. I just ran the numbers and it will cost me $1,345 more to get an '04 that is comparably equipped to the '03 I just looked at this morning.

And what's with the new 1LX Luxury Package? Includes leather seating with heated front seats (formerly LS1 plus 1CO) which makes sense, but also includes "electroluminescent gauges" (formerly in the 1SE Sport Package). What the heck do those gauges have to do with a "Luxury Package?
    One last question, what is the $250 Rev It Up coupon?
    Thanks,
    Wayne
    Apparently, people who paid the $39 to attend those Rev-It-Up events (held across the US over thte Spring-Sumer) were each sent a $250 coupon (wayyyy after the event they attended). THis coupon can be used toward the purchase of any Mazda (except the RX8) before the end of October.
  • combustible1combustible1 Member Posts: 264
    One sold for under $2, another for $6 and one sold for $25.. just bide your time and snatch one at the right price.

I got one for $11, just in case I decide to buy a 6. If I don't, I'll turn around and sell it to some one else.
    I have 3 or 4 of them. My whole family went to rev-it-up. (had a great time!) They came after we bought our cars so we couldn't use them. Anybody want to trade?
    A salesman at a local dealership just called me, stating that they got word this morning that Mazda is now offering a $1000 rebate for 2003's with the Sport Package. These were previously excluded from the currently-offered $2000 rebates. Can anyone else confirm this?
  • rponsetirponseti Member Posts: 35
    I was wondering if dealers are offering steeper discounts as we reach the end of this month? And also will it get even better next month. Will rebates increase after 9/30/03? Will they bring back the loyalty rebate? If anyone has any info, please share.
  • redkey1redkey1 Member Posts: 270
    I have been quoted 100 over invoice on a 2003 S 5MT in steel grey with a moonroof and no other option plus the $2000 incentive. Invoice is 20,736. Dealer charges $195 for paperwork, DMV runner etc so I'd be looking at 19,031 before trade-in / taxes. Is this a good price? By my math that would be dealer profit of about $525 (Mazda holdback is 2% of base, in this case $21,220, so it would be $424), which seems like fair profit to me.
  • mazda6smazda6s Member Posts: 1,901
    That seems fair, but watch out for the last minute add-on fees and stuff. $19K for a car like that is awesome.
    I have been quoted 100 over invoice on a 2003 S 5MT in steel grey with a moonroof and no other option plus the $2000 incentive. Invoice is 20,736. Dealer charges $195 for paperwork, DMV runner etc so I'd be looking at 19,031 before trade-in / taxes. Is this a good price? By my math that would be dealer profit of about $525 (Mazda holdback is 2% of base, in this case $21,220, so it would be $424), which seems like fair profit to me.

The car should be sold at or below invoice before subtracting rebates.
    I am not necc disagreeing, but on what basis do you think should it be sold below invoice? How much below invoice would you deem fair?

I specifically asked about dealer fess and he gave me the $195. I also quoted the invoice from edmunds.
    If your car has been around for long most or all of the holdback is history. You'll go nuts trying to figure out the dealer's profit. Don't bother. Most any time you can buy near invoice you're doing OK.

blueguy - In your world all the dealers will be out of business soon and we'll buy all our cars from you. At thousands below invoice of course!
    Rereading some of your old posts, it would seem that you are under the impression that the rebate is going to the dealer as profit when it is actually a manuafcturer to customer rebate. The dealers profit would be holdback + anything over invoice. The way I see it, the msrp on the vehicle is 22,540 and I'd be getting it for 19,031 (after rebate and dealer prep fee).
  • samiam11samiam11 Member Posts: 5
    You are right that the $2000 rebate is manufacturer to consumer but if you assign that rebate to the dealer (which is what will be done) then you are giving them the money. What blueguy is pointing out is that you need to negotiate around invoice (with some level of profit for the dealer considering holdback and your market) then subtract the rebate from that number.

I'm in Texas and my local Mazda dealer has been advertising their 6's with a dealer discount that places the sales price at invoice and then they subtract the rebate.
    Is it really possible to get it at $500 UNDER invoice?
    blueguy - In your world all the dealers will be out of business soon and we'll buy all our cars from you. At thousands below invoice of course!

??? I don't sell cars. And yes in my ideal world, most stealerships would go out of business. I detest dealerships and everything they represent. I'd much prefer not to have to deal with them - that's one reason I almost did Euro Delivery on my car. I'd be even happier if I could do a Euro Delivery or American Port delivery and never have to deal with those snake oil salesmen.
    why the sales and distribution channels exist.

just for fun sake, consider this statement:
    my dealer is sooo good, i feel he should make my car, not mazda.

No. everybody cannnot do everything. the operations would be humongous....make that gargantuan.
    but I dont know what would be the deal on a 2004 for the same car.

find that out and make your decision.
    just for fun sake, consider this statement:
    my dealer is sooo good, i feel he should make my car, not mazda.

No. everybody cannnot do everything. the operations would be humongous....make that gargantuan.

I get it's a pipe dream. But I still like to dream the dream that dealerships will no longer exist as we know them with predatory prevaricators lurking among plastic and sheetmetal. Oh that'd be so nice...sigh.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    We're getting into the realm of many of the ongoing discussions on our Smart Shopper board. Before we get too far afield, let me ask that those interested in this line of conversation pursue it in an appropriate discussion over there.

Let's get back to Prices Paid and Buying Experience here in this topic. Thanks.
  • the_instigatorthe_instigator Member Posts: 6
    Dealer quoted me a price of $18,786 (before graduate and rev it up incentives) on a brand new Mazda 6S. Is this a good price?
    Can you tell us what equipment is on the car?
    "Dealer quoted me a price of $18,786 (before graduate and rev it up incentives) on a brand new Mazda 6S. Is this a good price?"

This car has the standard options except it comes with the Sport Automatic Transmission.
    2003 Mazda6 s w/AT
    MSRP 22640
    Invoice 20872
    TMV 21524 (may vary with region)

Invoice minus the $2000 rebate is $18872, so what you're saying is they're offering the car for $86 under invoice. Yes it's a good price, but watch out for a bait-and-switch or bogus add-on fees. I smell a sucker play. How much is their doc fee?
    "2003 Mazda6 s w/AT
    MSRP 22640
    Invoice 20872
    TMV 21524 (may vary with region)

Invoice minus the $2000 rebate is $18872, so what you're saying is they're offering the car for $86 under invoice. Yes it's a good price, but watch out for a bait-and-switch or bogus add-on fees. I smell a sucker play. How much is their doc fee?"

The doc fee was high, about $118. How much should the doc fee cost? One dealer had a doc fee of $50, so I know this is not a standard fee. Should I pay this at all?
    Well, in a perfect world there would be no doc fees and everything would be included in the quoted price. My own feeling is that 100 bucks or so for a doc fee is OK with me, so I don't think $118 is out of line.
    But like I said, watch out for a bait-and-switch or bogus add-on fees. They'll sucker you in with a good price and then hit you with the extra stuff after you've gotten excited about driving home in your new car. You know, extra dealer prep fees, extended warantees, credit life insurance, protection packages, clear coat, fabric protection, etc. I'm assuming that what they have quoted you is all just verbal. Check the paperwork real good.
    I got a quote on a '03s in steel grey w/ moonroof and ulev for invoice plus $100. Doc fee is $195 for paperwork, title prep, inspection sticker, and running service.
    The dealer I'm working with charges $77. Where I live the customer handles their own title, taxes, etc. though.
    It is well worth the extra $$$ to not have to deal w/ the DMV. You would need an entire day off from work.
    A quoted price should include everything except fees required by the government, which are not negotiable and are out of the dealers control.

Doesn't this belong in another discussion?
    Is this not: Mazda6: Prices Paid & Buying Experience ? How does that not qualify as a buying experience?
  • steven39steven39 Member Posts: 636
    does anyone know if the rebates for the mazda 6 might be extended beyond the sept 30 deadline?
  • troybentroyben Member Posts: 42
    If you live in Chicago area, can't say enough about Biggers Mazda in Elgin. Had a great experience buying my redfire 6i with sport package. Everybody professional, courteous, & complete non-pressure atmosphere. My sales rep was Sean.
  • mazdamemazdame Member Posts: 2
    Hey all,

Happy to join the club of mazda6 owners. Just bought one tonight.

Metallic Red Mazda6 i AT
    With options:
    Sports package
    Comfort package
    Premium package
    Bose audio package
    Moonroof
    Black leather seats
    ABS
    Side air bags/curtains
    ULEV Emissions

Final price not including tax and license fee ($191) and document prep fee ($45):
    $20,850

I combined the $1000 rebate for sports, $500 recent grad discount. Apparently, the rebate is $2000 for non sports package.

I thought the price was decent, what do you all think? I'm paranoid that they pulled one over me...

thanks!
  • cheesehead6cheesehead6 Member Posts: 68
    Because Mazda went from consumer-friendly to consumer-unfriendly pricing this year, I've put the Mazda 6 way down the list after Accord, Passat and Subaru. It's still there, although I still would be outraged to be compelled to buy a sport package and 17" wheels just to get essential pieces of safety equipment (ABS, TC, SAB/SAC, etc.)on an '04 6i MT.

Question is this: Edmunds claims that in order to get the Security Package one must buy either the 1SE sport package w/rear spoiler or the 2SE package w/o spoiler. This conflicts with Mazda's pricing sheet (on its website), which does not mention an option to buy either one to get the Security Package. Anyone know if Edmunds is wrong about this? If not, perhaps the Edmunds moderator might point this out to the people upstairs and ask for the straight dope.
  • md_rocksmd_rocks Member Posts: 41
    I got a dealer email quoting $18,575 for a 6S w/ auto only. Tempted to make the jump up from a loaded P5 to this (about a 3K difference). I think the price you got quoted is fair. It won't set your hair on fire, but it is a good price. This is the Anaheim Mazda dealer.

Other SoCal places have been less than straightforward (some have not even emailed me back), so I'm dealing primarily with the Internet Manager for Anaheim Mazda. Now if only the car tax weren't shooting up tomorrow *sigh*