Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Scion xB - Hip to be square

revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
"The xB starts at under $16,000, and will be available in California only starting this June; by June 2004, the vehicle will be available nationwide."

Read more from Edmunds' coverage of the 2003 LA Auto Show: 2004 Scion xB.

What do you think? ;-)

Revka

Hatchbacks & Wagons Host

Comments

• a_l_hubcapsa_l_hubcaps Member Posts: 518
    I think it looks interesting, but I also think that Toyota needs to watch the price level carefully. Remember, this thing is really a rebodied Echo...it's not very big or very powerful. If it sells for $15-16K, people are going to have a hard time finding a reason to buy one in place of a Matrix or an Aerio. Base it at $13K, and they might have something.

-Andrew L
  • jfr4jfr4 Member Posts: 2
    The closest thing on the market is the Honda Element which starts out at $16,300 and boasts a 2.4 L 160 horsepower engine. Given this more powerful, though esthetically impaired, competitor, the bbX will have to be priced aggressively as the Element has beaten the bbX to market by some 7+ months and probably 40+ horsepower.
  • whatever_7whatever_7 Member Posts: 13
    The element is alot bigger. This is some where between a Corolla and an Echo. I will give it that the cabin space is as big as a corolla. There is no way I will buy it for 16k. A 14k package should include the audio system. I will throw another grant in it for a DVD player/Navi system. They can keep the cruise control and other stuff.
  • ropedartropedart Member Posts: 163
    Yota should have been selling the FJ concept in the USA by now. It is more America suited being more outdoorsy vehicle. Japan you cruise the streets in a xB because there's nothing else to do. In America you can actually get out of town.
  • joybelljoybell Member Posts: 275
    Well, to me it does. Also looks like it will do great in the 5mph bumber bash test.
  • jfr4jfr4 Member Posts: 2
    I would love to see the drag coefficient on cars like these. It seems they only publish such data on models with stellar numbers. Given its likely wind resistance, a 108 hp powertrain doesn't sound adequate.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    I'd buy this Scion. Just depends what equipment level we're looking at here. DVD TVs? Navigation system? What am I looking at with my 16K?
  • r34r34 Member Posts: 178
    I looked at the Toyota Scion. I like it very much. It is very comfortable and very easy to go in and out the vehicle. I went to Japan last year andI think that's the vehicle I saw in the Toyota showroom there. However, I think they need to increase its horsepower. If they target Gen-Y, they may need to work on the appearance of the vehicle.
  • originalflavororiginalflavor Member Posts: 4
    I applaud Toyota's effort's for trying to appeal to the younger generation, but I think that Scion isn't the answer. Last summer, I went to Japan and saw hundreds of these xBs (or bBs in Japan) roaming the streets with teens my age behind the wheel. I believe it was popular there because:
    1. Japanese teens like that style (for some odd reason)
    2. Japanese teens like to have cars that blast music, like we do in the US
    3. In Japan, you normally go about 40-80 kph (20-40mph?, correct me if I am wrong). Therefore, lots of horsepower or aerodynamic designs aren't needed often.

But this is America! If we are law-obeying citizens, we go around 65mph, and we prefer to use our own cars to go offroad or to haul things around. I wouldn't want to drive a car that will leave me thinking, "Should I switch lanes in front of that 18-wheeler and risk being tomorrow's front page on a newspaper?" "Should I haul this TV with the possibility that I might have to push this thing home?""Is it smart to go offroad and risk coming back with no bumpers and an overheated engine?"
    If Toyota really wants to sell a car like this without being laughed at by a 7-year old for a design he could make, they could at least offer a V6 as an option and knock down the prices by $2000.
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    The xB, like any other econocar, isn't meant for off road use.
  • rogertc1rogertc1 Member Posts: 66
    Kind of funny looking when you really see a real one. There is a lot of room inside. One could wear a Cowboy hat in it. They are looking in the $19,000 range however and with AC and stuff well over $20,000. They will hit the USA this summer. I got a free SCION key chain!!
  • phil74656phil74656 Member Posts: 5
    When I had first discovered that Toyota was to create a new brand to target my generation (I was born 1988) I was really glad to hear that we would finally get a truely Japanese vehicle, one that 5 years ago, we would never have even thought of seeing in the US.
    Personally, I like tall-roofed vehicles sold in Japan. When going to the Japanese Toyota website to look at the bB, I was disappointed in that the two engines offered were 1.2 and 1.5 liters. At this point I hoped that Toyota would up the engine size to at least 1.6 or 1.8 liters because 150 horsepower isnt too far off in being the econo-car standard. However, the pictures gave me hope that the bB was at least stylish. The four exterior pictures were all of the same black bB with funky wheels. Some more searching revealed a page with two "customized" versions of the bB. THIS is what Toyota NEEDS to bring to the states to appeal to their target.
    http://www.toyota.co.jp/Showroom/customize/bb/top/bbtop.html
    I don't think that people looking at the xB even know about the bB Open Deck for sale in Japan. This vehicle with doors similar to the Element's and an open cargo area could generate some intrest in the states. Is Toyota even considering offering an open deck xB in the states? Probably not. Will it try to generate interest by showing it off at auto shows? Probably not. Often concept cars are chosen to be put into production by the intrest that people show towards them at auto shows, so why not display several Japanese domestic market vehicles at auto shows and decide which to import to the U.S. by the public's reactions? I wonder if Toyota really thought through this whole Gen-Y brand idea.
    http://www.toyota.co.jp/Showroom/All_toyota_lineup/bB_od/index.ht- ml
    Gen-Yers like myself want customization. Someone who would buy a bB would be someone who would want to stand out. Custom wheels, grilles, lights, body-side graphics, and exhausts are what would appeal to a Gen-Y buyer. If Toyota is serious about selling the xB, they won't sell what I see in the photo posted at the top of this thread. Being apart from the crowd should be what Scion is all about.

Also, can someone please tell me what happened to the to the WiLL VS being a future Scion vehicle? Who doesn't like a 180 horsepower hatchback? Gen-Yers are the ones souping up Civics, Imprezas, Eclipses, aren't they? Wouldn't the WiLL VS be the vehicle that Gen-Yers would want? Its fast AND good-looking.
    http://www.toyota.co.jp/Showroom/All_toyota_lineup/willvs/index.h- tml
    phil-

The point of Scion is that the cars come as a basic package and then you add the custom stuff as you please. The only problem is that if they make the base price too high, people will not be able to afford the accessories :-P

-Andrew L
    Well if there aren't any aftermarket parts to buy, then there won't be much of a point. Scion needs to generate interest somehow. After all, was there an aftermarket for the Impreza before the turbo WRX hit the US? Companies have to have reason to make aftermarket parts for a certain vehicle. To add to this, someone who can afford to buy a new Scion probably won't be the type that adds all of the aftermarket parts. The souped-up civics aren't the 2003 Si's. I have yet to see an SE-R Spec V or Tiburon with other-than-stock wheels either. In my opinion, the xB should have factory-added accessories, much like MINI has done. Maybe instead of the option packages that everyone hates about Toyota, each buyer could get an "allowance" to choose the accessories that they want, as part of the base price. Toyota needs to consider that these days, performance is what the US auto market is about. The Evo and WRX generate the type of interest that Scion needs to be successful. If Scion can't keep their prices down, they might as well up the performance. BRING US THE WiLL VS!
    phil-

Scion makes the "aftermarket" parts. There will be a catalog of port-installed accessories that you can buy. Look at www.scion.com for an explanation of this.

-Andrew L
    I thought that it was clear that when I said aftermarket that I meant aftermarket, meaning you buy the parts after you buy the vehicle. When using the word accessories I meant that those would be offered by the manufacturer of the vehicle. If Scion was smart, they would offer packages such as the Street Billet and Speed Tourer for the $16-17K. When I visited the Scion website last, they said that they would offer two different wheel covers for the xB. Maybe this will change, hopefully it will. What I am trying to say is that if they wanted to be successful, they would do things like offer 5+ types of alloy wheels, not wheel covers. Upon visiting the Scion site now, I see a total of three items in the exterior category. Is this where you think Scion should be going?

Why not sell the Street Billet and Speed Tourer? The most expensive of the two, the 4-wheel drive Z edition Street Billet is 1,858,000 Japanese Yen, which is $15,628.18 Buyers in the states would surely pay this! What is Toyota thinking?!
    Customized bB prices
    phil-

If you read what the site says, it's clear that the accessories shown on the site are only a sample of what will be available. The reason for things like wheel covers rather than alloy wheels is to keep the base price down and make it so that you don't have to pay for equipment you don't want. I'm sure they will have plenty of alloy wheels, body kits, and such available as accessories at extra cost for those who want them, and this Toyota-built stuff will probably be of much better quality than aftermarket junk.

I'm not saying that Scion is a guaranteed success, but give it a chance. Toyota may not quite understand what young people want and can afford, but they're not idiots. They'll figure it out eventually.

-Andrew L
    Just a question of opinion here Andrew: do you like the Street Billet, Speed Tourer, and bB Open Deck?
    Also, why do you think that Scion isn't bringing the 4WD bB here?
    phil-

The xB in general is probably not something I would buy. But I do think it's an interesting idea that should be appealing to some people with different needs. I think the Open Deck and 4WD versions would probably sell here and may eventually come here if the first round of Scions meets sales targets. As for the customized versions, I am just not a big fan of the rims-and-body-kits style. If I had to buy an xB, a base model with an in-dash MP3 player (hopefully one will be available) and wheel cover style #1 would be my choice. But then, that is supposed to be the point of Scion...I pick what I want, you pick what you want, and Toyota makes both sales.

For what it's worth, I'm in Scion's target age group (I'm 19). The reason Scion wouldn't be first on my shopping list is that the vehicles have too much sport and not enough utility. If I had to buy a new car, I'd look at the Element and Aztek first, as I want the cargo capacity and higher ground clearance of those models.

I currently drive a 1986 Pontiac Parisienne 8-passenger wagon. Laugh if you will, but it's really an incredibly versatile car that gets decent mileage for its size, and has bumpers strong enough to knock down an aluminum light pole without sustaining a scratch (trust me on this one :-P). There's really nothing like it on the market right now. Anything that approaches it in size and versatility is loaded with stupid features and a high price.

It would be interesting if Toyota could take the 4-cyl Highlander, give it a more rugged/simple exterior and interior like the Element, and knock about $7000 off the base price. Now THAT's something I would be interested in.

-Andrew L
  • ab234ab234 Member Posts: 1
    How does Toyota actually think they're going to sell an SUV like that to teenagers. The Scion Xb is one of the uglist vehicles I have ever saw in my life. It's up there with the Chevy Astro. If a teenager wants an SUV that is "hip", i recommend them to get a Jeep Liberty or a Nissan Xterra, not a boxy junk like the Scion.
    Last time I checked, the xB wasn't an SUV.
    The xB is pure Japanese. The Liberty and Xterra were made with Americans in mind. Personally, thats what I like about it. Small American SUVs are pretty large really, and they will get bigger every year.
  • chocoxtacochocoxtaco Member Posts: 32
    Then I figured that the price would be more than I wanted to pay. Toyota's good enough to get whatever price they want out of a vehicle.

As for truly Japanese freak show toy type cars now available in the US, the Suzuki Aerio SX fits the bill. It's not a box, but it's tiny and tall.

I am not part of the Gen-Y target market. I wanted a small wagon with flat storage space with the seats folded down and adequate cargo room with the seats up. The Suzuki met my needs.
    Can Toyota pull Scion off with these prices? I'd say the can, especially given that all that equipment is standard, unlike the ECHO. There shouldn't be any option games since everything beyond standard is factory installed...right? Sign me up for an xA!
  • algie_fawkesalgie_fawkes Member Posts: 14
    Garn! I'd definitely take my $16+K and buy a DODGE NEON R/T with 150 hp, dual exhaust, rear spoiler, tint, sideskirts, great suspension...

this car is crap. and for $20K, go buy a Dodge SRT-4. 0-60 in 5.6-5.9 seconds...yes, it can actually beat a 350Z, according to some tests.

I don't want to drive in a box like this. I'd rather buy a Cruiser...150 hp, RELIABLE, and good-looking....indeed, beautiful on the inside. And I am 16.5 years or age. Toyota's only gotten me to hate them, not to love them. I am NOT "getting the feeling."
    algie_fawkes-

Okay, so maybe the Scions aren't the cars for you, but I venture that you may be missing their point. Cross-shopping a Scion with a Neon SRT-4 is not realistic; for one thing, there is a $6000 price difference.

Also, I don't think the Scions are meant to be rubber-burning performance cars. 108 hp sounds wimpy, but remember that these cars are smaller than the Toyota Echo. They are not going to be outrunning any 350Z's, but I'm sure the power is adequate for their size.

Unless we have a severe fuel shortage, I don't think I'd look at a Scion either...they seem a little too small and not rugged enough for my needs. The Element and Aztek are closer to what I want, as far as oddball utility vehicles go. But I do recognize that from an objective standpoint the Scions will probably be a great deal for the money.

-Andrew L
    The engine to be used in the Scions will be the same as the ECHO. I haven't heard a bad thing about that engine in reliability nor power. However, it may be less potent in the xB. It should fair fine in the xA.
  • algie_fawkesalgie_fawkes Member Posts: 14
    Yes. of course I shouldn't compare the xB or the xA to the SRT-4, which costs nearly $20K...but remember, there is really only a $4000 price gap, not $6000, unless the dealers cheat you, which some will do until enought SRT-4's have been made.

Well, I mentioned the SRT because people were saying that the Scions were designed with the intention that customers could easily modify them afterwards. A few upgrades and improvements and you can easily spend the $20K on a Scion...or you could buy an SRT-4, with over twice the hp.

but okay, even forgetting the srt, the Neon R/T could be had for $16K. even if it lists higher, Chrysler dealers are always giving rebates---which isn't mentioned in all the online price charts.

and yes, even if you bar regular small cars and say you want a "microbus," you could still buy the HOnda Element, which, quirky though it is, still seems more appealing and useful to me than the xB. And the xA...I'd save my money to buy a Matrix. Or the PT....

Just my 2 cents...
  • muffin_manmuffin_man Member Posts: 865
    The xB lists for $13,500, the SRT4 lists for $20,000. That's a $6,500 difference, but anyway, people are not going to cross shop the xB and the SRT4. However, a lot of people will not buy a Neon because of their unreliable reputation.

The Element may start at $16,100, but that doesn't include A/C or a radio of any kind. The PT Cruiser is a good car, but also starts at $3000. So both are around $3000 more dollars than a xB

You have to realize that the xB is not intended to be a performance car. In Japan they are insanely popular because they are stylish, roomy, reliable, gas efficient and inexpensive. And the opportunities for customization are out of this world. You can't go a full day without seeing an xB on 18" chrome wheels, and a club style laser light show going on inside.

It's a dress up car, not a performer. But I have to admit, I didn't learn to appreciate that type of car until I had lived in Japan a while.
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    Your information is very much appreciated; however, please be aware that our policy forbids postings that promote, or link to, other auto forums that also provide message boards or chats.

For informational purposes, links to websites that do not provide automotive message boards/chats are allowed.

To those concerned - Feel free to email me if you have any questions/comments. Please do not address this matter with me here. I do not set policy here, nor can I change it. As host, I am responsible for enforcing it, which is why I bring it up.

You can also read recent discussion on this policy in our Ask the Town Hall Hosts discussion, (from Post #1383). Please take the time to read all the messages on this subject prior to posting your questions/comments there. Thanks.

And now, back to the subject of the 2004 Scion xb. Thanks for your participation! ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
    Edmunds gives the two Scion vehicles, the xA and xB, very favorable reviews. It also gives the whole Scion concept a thumbs up!

"One thing is certain, Scion is the real deal and, based on product alone, it should be a runaway success. Scion cars will go on sale June of 2003."

Read it here:

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/roadtests/firstdrive/96284/article- .html?tid=edmunds.h..reviews..18.*
    I lived in Japan for a while, I never loved the Scion. You have so many other cars that are a better deal than the Scion. For around the same price as a base Scion, you could get a more powerful Nissan Sentra or Hyundai Elantra, change the stereo (and get A/C for the Sentra), and still be able to beat a modified Scion at a stop light. (I'm going by HP here, correct me if I'm wrong). Scion should have a "Runaway" success.
    Actually, I think the price is very competitive.
    The Sentra and the Elantra are two of the blandest cars available. And if either car is faster, it's marginal - not that it is the point of any of those cars. I'd rather take the Scion's engine, which has reasonable torque and outstanding gas mileage.

But I think the point of the Scion is the unique look. If you don't like it, don't bother, if you do, it's the only game in town.
    Hi Folks- Check out Edmunds' First Drive of the 2004 Scion xA and XB and let us know what you think! Thanks for your comments. ;-)

Revka
    Host
  • dsantiagodsantiago Member Posts: 13
    As a 25 year old, I am tired of corporate america trying to pry into our wallets with shallow schemes like this scion crap! I like the Xb and Xa alot, but I feel the creation of this brand is a crap because its supposed to grab kids that aren't into brands that have mass appeal....WHAT!!!

let's see: WRX, Lancer Evo, supra, celica, prelude, BMW3, Mazda protege, p5, M6, any german roadster, civic, accord (yes even accords)the matrix and corolla...I'll stop now the list is long....

in all honestly this brand was created because of the pricing of this vehicle. Just as VW's prices will be going up thanks to the W8 and whatever else they got cooking, or as Hyundai wil have to do if their reliabilty holds water, the lowering of prices negatively affects the brand image.

Also I believe that with all its options, these two newcomers will find themselves among the list of "cars stolen and stripped" very quicly. Its just too tempting to do it to a car with "disco lights" on the inside.

Its a shame that all these companies are trying to keep it real when keeping it real requires no effort or intent....

just my 2 centz
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    what?
  • dsantiagodsantiago Member Posts: 13
    Read the "first drive" article. It explains the brand, the strategy the brand will use to sell its product, and the image the brand hopes to portray.

Scion is not a brand aiming for older drivers, it is specifically aiming at younger ones, hoping that a hopped up echo will attract their target market.
    True, Scion may have the most unique look and it may be gas-efficent, but I also think that teens like me care about performance. Wouldn't it hurt a teen's pride if a friend's parents' Odyssey beat his Scion at a stoplight? He would probably be jealous too that his Scion is just an econobox and can't be used to go offroad like his friend's Element.

Then again, it does depend on what you value most in a car, but I wouldn't be expecting to see very many Generation-Y ers buying a Scion.
    You have a point, but at the same time, think about how many fixed up cars you see that are all show and no go? You put 18 inch wheels and a supercharger on a Civic DX and you've shelled out a lot of money and can still barely beat that Odyssey. Yet it happens all the time.

A lot of people (kids included) buy cars for looks. Maybe the bX can be one of those cars. (or maybe not)

But I think it will sell, because if nothing else, it is unique. And it's nice to finally see some cars with personality.
  • kroliphkroliph Member Posts: 75
    I think that the xB is a very interesting vehicle. It certainly comes w/ allot of standard options for a reasonable price. Would it have killed Toyota to offer the Corolla's 1.8 L instead of the 1.5 L from the Echo??? I think that the extra hp and torque from 1.8 L would have been perfect for the 2400 lb. xB. I think I would reconsider a Corolla purchase for an xB w/ the same motor. The xB w/ 1.8 L motor, and 17-inch wheels from Matrix would be a pretty fun vehicle to own. I think I would just get too frustrated w/ only 108 hp and 105 torque. If you are driving w/ 4 people and their things, you could get killed pulling out into traffic.
  • estevesesteves Member Posts: 12
    What's funny is that I'm 33 and I'd buy the xB for its room and gas economy. Already got a sports car, so I need a vehicle that is more frugal as the gas pump. Most of the econo cars out there (Echo, Insight, Civic HX, etc) are all bland in styling or their proportions just don't appeal to me. They're also tight on space (which I can understand because smaller cars get better gas mileage). The xB gives you good room, great mileage and a little bit of character from the rest. Just my opinion.
    "Men pulled up alongside it to say how sexy it was."

Read the complete story here: Full Test: 2004 Scion xB, by Caroline Pardilla.

Thanks for your comments! ;-)

Revka
    Host
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I like what I've seen from the articles and photos. And I'm 50. Guess I like the price too.

(Hi Revka!)

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    I can't wait to test drive one.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    0-60 in 9s is reasonable, about what the Element would do.

The key here is price, wow, $14k for a 5 speed, with ABS and CD? Unbeatable.

However, I saw one in NY, sat in it. You can feel the Echo DNA, it's obvious to me where they cut costs. But to a college grad looking for roomy cheap wheels, that's just fine. I would have considered it in that phase of my life.

Cons: speedo in center, cheap materials, no cruise
    Pros: price, passenger room, did I say price?

Element is the closest competitor, sort of. xB is FWD and has less cargo space, but seats 5 not 4. It is much lighter to despite less power acceleration should be about even.

I dunno, fix the speedo locale and it's a winner.

-juice
    But is the xB supposed to be an SUV competitor? I think of it more as a hatch/small wagon or something.
    The xA is a small vehicle and the xB isn't that much bigger when put next to it.

I've seen several articles claiming that the vehicle has higher grade materials than competing vehicles. Those who say the plastics are cheap, to what do you compare them? Obviously they aren't going to be Lexus-like but as long as they are durable and not ugly, they should be fine for an economical car. Hopefully they aren't hard...crossing fingers...
    It's hard to classify. I think of the Matrix when I think small wagon. xB is a big boxy bread van, boxier than anything before it. Element is a bigger box, and they do have a FWD model.

Scion was smart and priced it like a wagon, not an SUV, so it should sell well.

I sat in the xA and xB back-to-back. The xA is cuter, I like the style better, but it has a tighter back seat by far and much less cargo room. If space is a concern at all, for the money the xB offers a lot more cubes-for-the-dollar, no doubt.

I have a family and always moved myself from dorm to apartment, apartment to house, plus the space would help move things like a big screen TV.

Materials? Hard? Mostly yes. Ugly? No, I didn't think so. Not as nice as the Element or Matrix, and about par with an Echo or Aerio. Except for the carpeting it all looked durable.

-juice
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    just me, or do the headlights and grille remind one of an older VW?
    The thing stands out so much that it doesn't remind you of anything, at least in person. It more closely resembles a phone booth. :-)

-juice