Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Scion xB - Hip to be square

Comments

• tpat3tpat3 Member Posts: 119
    Now if only there were an easy way to plug the iPod into the head unit, that would be REALLY cool.
  • 719b719b Member Posts: 216
    scion4me is displaying the arrogance of youth. he'll grow out of it
  • stevengordonstevengordon Member Posts: 130
    Consider all of the savings of an xB compared with a Matrix, a small cute-ute, even the cheapest of minivans. There'd be enough dough left over for a PowerBook...or an iBook and iPod combo.

Of course, the other vehicles offer other ammenities compared with an xB. Vehicle size and weight, which affect crash safety, is one benefit they'll have over an xB. But, that's part of the equation that should be factored in when deciding.
  • revdrluvrevdrluv Member Posts: 417
    Size maybe, but weight??? Weight is not a plus for crash safety. The more you have the worse the wreck. That is like saying going faster is better for crash safety. An old oldsmobile is both huge and heavy, but I would much rather be in an small, lightweight xB during in an accident. It is all about the engineering.
    I believe that when two objects collide, the vehicle with more mass transmits force to the vehicle with less mass. I also believe that mass means weight in the case of cars.

The old Olds may not have the best design for crash safety, but that may be overcome by its sheer weight advantage.

Which is why 5-star crash ratings for small vehicles have to be valued differently than a 4- or 5-star rating for a heavier vehicle.

Any physics majors 'round these here parts?
    But, as I've said before, what happens when a vehicle hits an unmovable stationary object such as a concrete bridge support column or a large tree? All of that mass then crushes down on you, and the more you have the worse it is. Since collisions with these sorts of objects are more common than those with other cars. I wouldn't go buying a big car because I think it makes me more safe.

So again the best thing to consider for safety when buying a car is the effectiveness of the safety engineering that went into building it.
    I'd guess that the mass (weight) protects you because it absorbs the energy of the crash. The crash doesn't focus energy on you, like a magnifying glass in sunlight. The energy of the crash is absorbed by the object hit and by the object hitting it. The more inanimate mass that can absorb the energy, the safer the animate objects.

The Insurance Institute of Highway Safety publishes a PDF showing deathrates in all vehicles insured by their subscribing companies. It also shows a much higher rate for small cars than for large cars. Not a higher number, but a higher rate. This report can be downloaded from http://www.iihs.org/vehicle_ratings/ictl/ictl.htm
    That's what happens with a car with crumple zones yes. They crush, therefore absorbing the force of the impact. A concrete structure doesn't crush, therefore it leaves the car to absorb all of the force of the impact. And with more mass (and speed) that force is greater.

That insurance thing doesn't make complete sense to me because if you are in a car like an Excursion you are more likely to compeletly demolish the other car you get into the accident with, therefore costing the insurance company more money if it is your fault.

I know that one of the factors that companies measure for insurance rates are the number of accidents that people with your same model of car get into overall. Could be that drivers of larger cars are less likely to get into an accident? Not sure how that all works.
    revdrluv-one point may be that a vehicle like the xB (a vehicle with a lot of free space around passengers) may rack up fewer injuries and fatalities because there are fewer things to come into contact with in a crash.

I never took physics; I'm sure there are better minds than mine on this forum who could tackle these issues better.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    If anything the box will fare better, because the passengers are farther from the glass.

-juice
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    Did you ever replace your xB? My xA has NEVER stalled when placed into neutral while coasting down to a stop. Wonder how your problem resolved itself.
  • saguarosaguaro Member Posts: 3
    I just ordered a 2005 Scion xB. I'm a little worried about the front bumper being so low. It seems like it will be so easy to damage it on a curb. Are there any current owners who have had a problem with this.

The Scion Security system was the only option I chose, but I'm wondering how good it is. Car theft is very high where I live, so I do need something.
  • scootertrashscootertrash Member Posts: 698
    Yes, the only blemishes on my xB are the scuffs and scratches on the lower front spoiler.
  • pearl21pearl21 Member Posts: 4
    Since you're all new scion xB owners, what prices have you paid? have you been able to negotiate? if able to negotiate, what type of wiggle room do you have between invoice and msrp?
    There is no "wiggle room"
    They are all sold at a fixed price.
    All deals are forwarded to Scion HQ for review and any dealer playing games can lose their franchise.
  • saguarosaguaro Member Posts: 3
    I was told by the dealer when I first looked at the Scion xB that it was a no-haggle deal. I was skeptical, but some searching on the internet convinced me that this is really how it is supposed to work. There was some guy on scionlife.com who claimed he got a better deal by getting more for his trade-in that it was worth and was proud of himself for driving a hard bargain. I wonder about that though. In my area, Scion xB's are very popular, and I can't even get one until August, so what incentive would the dealer have? Personally, I hope others like the no-haggle way of buying a car as much as I did, so even more cars will be sold that way.
  • pearl21pearl21 Member Posts: 4
    where do you live in that the xb has one wait listed for 3.5 months?

do you know the difference between the '04 and '05 x-b's?
    thanks
    Given the way Scions are sold, the only negotiating point is on a trade if you have one. I have read posts here and on other sites that their is some room to bargain on accessories, but since I bought none I can't really know.
  • fresserfresser Member Posts: 1
    Anyone installed a Bazooka bought from a retail source. Need instructions to remove head and route taken for wiring. Quality result?? If good, I intend to buy the 6 inch version.
  • xboldxbold Member Posts: 3
    I read maybe 100 of the posts and the answer may have been addressed but.....

Has anyone installed "after market" cruise control? Shouldn't the cost be about $200? Does it look tacky once installed?
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    Thar ain't nun.

That's the short answer. The long answer is yes, our deals are audited every month and we can NOT negotiate. That even applies to accessories. With every deal, I have to print the page from my web site with our accessory prices and they better not be different than what I sold it for. The first time I would do it would cost me cars. After that, I would be jeaprodizing my franchise.

There is one way they can be discounted. That is if I do it for everybody. For instance, right now Toyota is giving a free 6 disc CD with every new xA shipped. The in-stock units don't have these and Toyota is not reimbursing the dealerships for this. We are allowed to discount the in-stock units as long as it is posted on the web site and is available to all customers.

We can also list specific cars for a discount. If we have a demo that has several hundred miles on it, we can post that one car at a special price on the web site. Again, when it is sold, we have to print out the page for the auditors.

In exchange for mandating the pure price, Toyota did cut our gross profit on the Scion. On a similarly priced Corolla, we have about $1000 between invoice and MSRP, plus we have a 2% holdback and 1% floorplan assistance allowance. On a Scion we have just over $600 worth of markup and there is no holdback or floorplan assistance. Invoice is really "cost" (excluding various expenses like compensation, advertising and stuff like that).
    $200 is less than half what we pay to the company we use for cruise control installation.
    Thank You.

As you may know, this vehicle is not available in Wisconsin until June, 2004.

Just recently for the first time on the Scion Site, I got a listing of local Toyota dealers that will also carry the Scion line. I e mailed one regarding "cruise control" and this is what he had to say.

"Typically, the cost to add an after market Cruise Control is around $175-$250. There are a few places that can do that for you."

It's interesting that he is apparently off more than 100%

Again, thank you for your response.
    I was hoping that with the rear seats folded down that there would be enough room for 2 bikes.

Please tell me that this can be done.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    $350 for installed cruise on Scion xA or xB at the Southeast Scion/Toyota dealers. It is the Toyota accessory cruise control. It is not the same as the factory cruise on Toyota vehicles. It is one stalk with three buttons that is installed on the steering column. I have it on my Tacoma.
    I did a search on Ebay for cruise for Scion and there were several of the Toyota units like I have on my Tacoma, and they were from Southeast states Toyota/Scion dealers. Seems that only Southeast distributors has the kit.
    Excellent results!

Be sure to watch the cool videos too!
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    There have been complaints about how weak the air conditioning unit is in hot climates.
    Has anyone heard if Toyota plans to improve it in future year models of the xB, or would it need a new and larger engine to handle a more powerful a/c unit?
    Hmmm... maybe we're getting ripped. I just had a converstion about this with my service guys and they claim we can't get them in for less than $500. Maybe ours are better than most. I honestly don't know.
    The cruise that Southeast Distributors installs is a Scion/Toyota accessory and is covered by the manufacturer warranty if installed at delivery. How can any other cruise be better than that?
    If the Southeast dealers sell the cruise at $250 uninstalled and $350 installed you can be sure there is profit margin in the $250 price. $500 is theft IMO.

For those who live outside of Southeast, why not just order the kit for $250 or less and have local dealer or independent shop install it? Labor time for the kit is 1.5 hours or less.
    It is not covered by Toyota. It is covered by Jim Moran's SET, but getting work done to it outside that region is a hassle. Its not impossible, but a hassle. Furthermore, it is not covered by the Toyota Platinum warranty.

That doesn't mean it isn't a good deal at $250. I actually think that's a fantastic deal, but let's not pretend its something it isn't.
    The stalk on the unit is the same one that is part of the kit sold by Toyota dealers in all regions for Tacoma and various other Toyota's. I would be surprised if any part of the kit other than the documentation is non-Toyota. Even though the kit is only offered through SET, perhaps non SET dealers will warranty it if they install it. Ask your local dealer.
    Cliffy - Would the dealership you work at warranty the unit?
    The stalk is the same? Wow. I just spoke to my parts and service guys and they said the only way to do that is a complete jury-rig of the Scion. They were not able to answer the warranty question for me but said they would have to go through SET and not Toyota.
    You should talk to Right Toyota.
  • carguy79carguy79 Member Posts: 23
    I worked for an accessory shop that installed cruise controls. This shop was owned by a man that owned a Toyota dealership supplied by Gulf South Toyota. The cruise servos, brackets and switches are all indentical and as far as I now mostly interchangable with the Audiovox branded electronic cruise control. I now work for one of Jim Moran's affiliate companies and drive a SET Toyota truck and my cruise is identicial to the ones we installed at the accessory shop that I worked for.
    Pillars are kind of thin, but that does make for great visibility.

Volvo's pillars are wide, for instance.

-juice
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    A newspaper reporter wants to interview Scion drivers who live outside of California. Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information by 5pm Eastern on tuesday, June 1, 2004.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com
    Cool, Dennis, that's you quoted about half way down, right?

-juice
    Yes, I'll be selling autographed pictures of myself and my xB on eBay
    Hee hee, that's cool. PR Lady put me in touch with several journalists and helped me get quoted in the NY Times, Wall Street Journal, and even a book (The End of Detroit by Michelle Maynard).

Enjoy the 15 minutes. ;-)

-juice
  • therealsquattherealsquat Member Posts: 1
    Does anybody know if the reliability of the scion xb will be the same as those for basically all toyotas? I realize that the car is fairly new in the United States but it has been around in Japan for awhile. I am quite young and looking forward to purchasing my first new car. I was hoping someone could help me out with the issues of reliability because this car will have to last me at least a few years.
    I have no doubt that an xB will last you more than a few years. Under normal driving and with routine maintenance, pretty much any new car sold today is going last longer than that. The xB has been sold for about four years in Japan and uses many "off-the-shelf" parts from other Toyota models. I own one and pretty much expecting it will be bullet proof.
    Congrats.

-juice
  • vijayguptavijaygupta Member Posts: 4
    Hello All. Anybody getting good deals in SD, ND, NE, IA and MN. All the NO HAGGLE quotes I got are at MSRP.

Any dealers selling at less than MSRP?. May be these hotties are just launched in these states and would make me wait for some time before price settles down little bit.

Also Any reputed non-dealer shop to buy/get installed SCION MAKE accesories with out messing up with manufacturer warranty?
    CarMax in Kenosha is selling for less than $7 less than MSRP. Yes, I said $7.00.
    Don't expect to find any pricing deals on Scion. Even on the coast they still sell for MSRP.
  • vijayguptavijaygupta Member Posts: 4
    Thx my friend. I guess patience is the virtue to success. History is witness that no car stays hot for ever and eventually come down in price. May be Scion would increase the production soon resulting in better deals earlier than expected.

I would wait for some time unless I get called earlier from hell/heaven.
    $7 under is probably just so they can say they have the lowest price. Interesting strategy, though.

-juice
  • socalsrt4socalsrt4 Member Posts: 5
    Even paying MSRP, the xB is a good deal. Sheesh, how much lower do you want to go?!

I'm finding out that my experience buying my 2005 must've been sheer luck and timing, because I went to the dealer, wanted white with a 5-speed and no add-ons. They had one with 1 mile on it (didn't even drill the front bumper yet for the license plate). Had them add the STB, aluminum door sill protectors, floor mats, fog lights, and a non-TRD 18" wheel/tire package, which totaled to a little over $18K out the door.

Could I have gotten it for less, probably. But when they had the exact one I wanted, and after figuring out the OTD price, I was happy with that.
    fitzmall.com has "internet prices" slightly below MSRP. A couple hundred.

Their "value price" is MSRP, but that includes 6 free oil changes.

Just an FYI for anyone shopping near DC or MD.

-juice