Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Any Opinions? F 250 King Ranch

pitn1777pitn1777 Member Posts: 15
It's time for a new vehicle for me. My daughter works for Ford, so I've got the advantage of buying on the A plan.

I've been driving a Landcruiser which is a great vehicle. But I'm bored and after driving various new vehicles (Nav, GX) I listened to my daughter and I'm now test driving the F250 6.0 King Ranch 4x2.

I really, really like this truck.

Do I need it for work? NO.

I just like this truck, but I do live in Texas...

Talk me out of it or into it.

I know it's not as smooth as the LC, but it's close on highway driving. I really like the response of the 6.0 and wouldn't consider a gas engine in this truck.

Ok, let me hear your opinions.

Thanks.

Comments

• wpalkowskiwpalkowski Member Posts: 493
    King Ranch option looks real purdy.,, My only question is about your driving routines and the diesel. Do you put on a lot of miles, or do you do a lot of short hops of 1-2 miles where engine doesn't have time to warm up? Diesels take much longer than gassers to come up to optimal operating temperatures. If want to keep truck for long time and have it run right, then it needs to get fully warmed up. Not sure about new 6.0, but with most other diesels if you don't let 'em warm up, you get a phenomina called "wet stacking" where deposits build up in engine = $$$.
    On the other hand, if you're going 20-30 miles or more to work each day then engine will probably outlast the body of truck.
  • pitn1777pitn1777 Member Posts: 15
    Drive about 25-30K per year. Not the 30 miles to work,nor 1-2 mile trips, something in-between.

Does this help?
  • mullins87mullins87 Member Posts: 959
    I have a '99 F-350 PSD. I drive approximately 25 miles each way to the office. But being an appraiser, I may put an additional 200 miles on my truck in a days time just going to look at a property. I have put as many as 1,100 miles on my truck in one week. So operating temps are no problem for me as when I fire up my truck, it will be running for at least 30 to 45 minutes.

Are you going to be pulling anything? The reason why I ask, these motors are made to work. My reason for having one, a 31' camper. During camping season we will go as often as possible. However, during the winter months, my truck will start to run rough and fuel mileage sometimes will drop a little. I've been told it's because I'm not working the engine. The remedy in my case is one or two runs where I'll really put my foot in it through all the gears. I'll do at least one of those in each tank. Of course the engine is and has been at operating temp for sometime when I do it. My truck seems to run better after I do that.

If you are going to keep it for a long time or really work it, which you've said you aren't, I'd say go for it. Otherwise, the diesel option would buy an awful lot of gas to feed the V-10.
    I've been driving this truck over the weekend and the more I drive it, the more I really like it.

Drove the GMC w/Duramax; no comparison to the Powerstroke. Drove the Ram Hemi, smooth, but I'm not interested.

I really like this truck and will probably pull the trigger this week on the deal.

Thanks for your input.
    I fell in love with these things the first time I drove one way back in '98. I haven't regretted mine once since I bought it. Well, except when it comes time for new tires.
  • kg11kg11 Member Posts: 530
    For a fair comparison you should drive the Dodge with the Cummins high output diesel.It's very much like the Powerstroke 6.0 but the power band is at lower rpms.Both engines are made by Cummins.If you can get past the fact that it's in a Dodge ,it would be worth looking at.(I prefer the Ford myself)

kip
  • wpalkowskiwpalkowski Member Posts: 493
    I drive a gasser, but in defense of my diesel friends....the new Power Stroke 6.0 is built by Navistar not Cummins. ;-)
    Last year Ford bought 28 percent of Cummins with the intention of using the I6 in thier light trucks.In a recent comparason of the two(Edmonds review I think)they said the Cummins 5.9 and Navistar 6.0 were basically the same engine.I ASSUMED they were talking about more than the obvious similarities between two I6 diesel engines,but I certianly could be wrong.

kip
    I test drove the 250 6.0 PSD; 4x4;.

This has been one of the most enjoyable couple of days test driving this truck. I'm really impressed with the 4x4's handling, etc. so I'm going all the way.

Thanks for your input and to those who said that the diesel would be contagious; you're correct.

I haven't enjoyed driving a vehicle like this in a long time.

I'm ready for the increased maintanance, etc...

This is one great truck.

Thanks again.
    I can't comment on the ownership part. I've heard both ways. Ford may own part of Cummins, but Ford does not build the Powerstroke, International/Navistar does. The Cummins is a straight six, just as you mentioned, but the Powerstroke is a V-8. The similarities Edmunds mentioned may have been in reference to power output and drivability. Just guessing though.
    I just looked at the new ford page.The 7.3 PSD is still offered and for not much more you can have the new 6.0 V8 powerstroke.

kip
This discussion has been closed.