Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda3 Hatchback

Comments

• azorglubazorglub Member Posts: 43
    Guys,

Thanks for the feedback. One more question. I've looked, but not testdrove, the Matrix, and I like it. It's proven Toyota and it's about $1k cheaper than the 3 as best as I can tell it. Since I'm coming from a 95 Golf which has cost me an arm, a leg, and a few limbs from my kids, reliability takes on a huge importance. So, I'm a little leery about the 3 since Mazda track record is not Toyota's (at least not yet). All that to say that I was interested in knowing what tilted your choice in favor of the 3 (since I now know that both can hold my bike, a brank spanking new Titus Motolite :) ).

Thanks.
  • bellamusicabellamusica Member Posts: 21
    I currently own an Audi A4, and for several reasons (reliability, purchase price, cost of repairs) have decided to go a different route for my next car. I need to step down in price (saving for college for the 14 year-old) and prestige, but still want to have an enjoyable driving experience.

I am currently looking at the Mazda3 hatchback and the Honda Civic si. I am interested in the M3s because of driving dynamics, nice interior for the class, 4 doors, and available leather. The Civic is intriguing mostly because I have owned Hondas before and have had very good luck with reliability and dealer service. Plus, it is a pretty fun and sporty ride.

A have some questions for the M3s owners that might help me decide:

First, has anyone considered both of these cars and have some observations?

Next, I have some questions about the M3 specifically:

How does it handle in the snow? I live in Colorado and stepping down from AWD to a car with no traction control concerns me.

How well does the leather hold up? Leather adds luxury, but sometimes the leather-options in less expensive vehicles are of questionable quality/durability.

Are there any comments about the radio? I rely on the radio for entertainment on long commutes and need a decent sound system.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks for your help.
  • modockmodock Member Posts: 55
    Greetings from Westminster. I have a 3 sedan and can answer a couple of your questions.

First, the biggest difference between the Civic Si and 3 is the size. The 3 is much larger. The Civic is a two door hatchback while the 3 is a 4 door hatch. If you will have anymore than 2 people in the car ever I would suggest the 3.

Second is the snow. While as you know Colorado has not gotten that much snow this year in the Denver area. When we have had snow I would say that the 3 has handled better than my previous car (Nissan 240sx with studs) with just the crappy stock all seasons it came with. The 3 is much heavier than the Civic so I would say that it should handle much better in the snow.

As for the leather I have no idea as I could only afford a bare bones 3S.

The radio is about average. I enjoy the sound that comes out of it. The problem everyone has with it is that it is nearly impossible to upgrade with anything other than Mazda parts. So if you plan to add an MP3 player or connect your Ipod you may want to talk to a dealer about it.

I did not really compare the Civic as the reason I was getting a new car was that I now have a 6 month old and could not fit a car seat in the 240.

Hope this helps

Corey

PS If you are looking for a decent deal with no haggling contact the internet sales manager at the Sill-Terhar Mazda off Wadsworth and the Turnpike. They charge 2% over invoice + 359 doc. So you can do the math to see how much they will charge.
  • redmazda3redmazda3 Member Posts: 28
    I have two 2004 Mazda 3 hatchbacks and a 2002 Mazda Protege5, and my son has a 2003 Matrix. The 3 has more power and feels more like a sports car. The ride is about the same. The Matrix is easier to get in and out and you sit higher than in the 3. My son wishes the 3 had come out earlier. He chose the Matrix over the Protege5 because you could fit 2 baby seats and a small child in the back seat. The 3 is a much more fun car to drive.
    Thanks, Corey -

That does help. I also appreciate the dealer recommendation, although I live in Parker, so the Burt dealership on Arapahoe makes sense. I suppose I could buy from one and service at another. Although, if it is like the Audi dealer there are benefits to getting it serviced at the purchase dealer.

As far as the snow is concerned, I am more worried about mountain driving than Denver. I will probably get snows that I can throw on in that instance.

I am actually considering the SP23 model, which has the upgraded stereo. I have heard that there are not many of them left, however.

Thanks again!

Matt
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    I am sure I am the only one here who feels that the 2.0 is plenty of power, but I would like to see that engine in the 3 (hatch) for the better gas mileage and lower cost.

The sedan is nice, but it does not have enough rear headroom, and is not as flexible.
  • npaladin2000npaladin2000 Member Posts: 593
    Ok, I considered both of these,. as well as the twin Vibe before buying the Mazda3 5 door. The first one I test drove was a Vibe AWD:

First impression was that it was nicely put together. Especially liked the shifter position, though I thought it might take some getting used to. Then I tried getting driving-comfy and decided the steering wheel is too close to the dash. Also noticed that over-the-shoulder visibility sucks due to the poor design of the windows, especially the rear triangles. Then I got on the road, and started to go up this mild grade, and found out that it's a complete dog. I didn't even want to THINK about what a STEEP grade might do, so I stopped taking mental notes right there. Verdict: stay away from Vibe or Matrix AWD trims.

Next up was a base Matrix. Since without AWD it's lighter and gets a little more HP, I figured on giving it a shot. The pickup was only slightly better but it was noticable. Same problem with the sterring wheel and getting comfy. I will say that legroom is a lot better in the Matrix/Vibe, because it's more of a chair setup rather than a typical car setup. Unfortunately, the tall bit doesn't make taking turns at high speed fun at all. The car leans WAY too much in turns, and you're sitting so high that you're afraid to take tham with any great speed. The engine's also kinda noisy. However, the Matrix has a slight advantage in visibility, due to actual rectangular rear windows. Also, since it's a much smaller engine, it's likely to get better fuel economy. It's still light in the torque department though. And while the plastic cargo area looks like a neat idea (and probably PERFECT for a dirty mountain bike) I wonder how much normal cargo is going to slide around? Anyway, on to the Mazda3.

The first thing you notice about the 3 is it appears a LOT more low-slung than the Matrix/Vibe. The twins sit on top of their wheels, while the Mazda3 seems to sit between its wheels. That's reflected in the handling; it's more tossable with less tippage. The engine is also smoother and quieter despite it being bigger and having more torque (the magic of balance shafts). Seating is more of a traditional car bucket; instead of sitting up on a chair you plant yourself into the cockpit, which some people who like to sit high won't like so much. But the tilt/telescope wheel and height-adjustable seat really help in finding a comfortable position where everything is at hand. And people who like to drive turns hard know that the road is their friend and the closer they sit to it, the better. ;) The twins' wheel tilts, but doesn't telescope...and it NEEDS to telescope. The 3 is very tossable in turns, and great for grins, but there's a slight sacrifice in cargo capacity, and the rear seat in the 3 is a bit tight; though I COULD fit in it, I wouldn't want to. And while the 3's triangle windows are better implemented than the Vibe's (Where they end is about where the cutoff from the rear headrests would begin) there's still a slight visibility loss compared to the Matrix. One word on the cargo area in the Mazda3 5 door though, is that it has that same plastic-coated cargo area....optionally. Starts off carpeted, but the two lift-out panels can be flipped over to reveal a plastic load floor instead. The backs of the seats are still fabric though. The Mazda3 "Cargo Management System" or whatever is pretty versatile; you need to play with it to figure out all the stuff you can do with it.

Anyway, as a summary, the only acceptable Matrix/Vibe choices would be a non-AWD Matrix version, proably with the base engine, since who wants a 9000 RPM screamer? Between the Matrix and the 3, it depends on what you want. The Matrix is an acceptable appliance/passenger/cargo carrier, but it's far from an entertaining driver's machine, and the driver seems to be last on the list in consideration. The Mazda3 is primarily an entertaining driving machine with comfort and fun for the driver in mind, but there's a bit less cargo room, it's harder to get into, and anyone sitting in the back seat might end up hating you until you let THEM drive.

Incidentally, other competitors for the 3 that might make decent choices are the Kia Spectra5 (That one has a 2 liter) the Ford Focus ZX3, ZX5, and ZXW trims (hatches and wagon) and the Suzuki Aerio SX (which can be gotten with AWD and unlike the Toyota, has enough engine to handle it). It's really amazing how many vehicles of this type are out there now...the PT Cruiser would also count I think, as well as Chevy's upcoming HHR, Dodge's upcoming Neon replacement, probably the upcoming Honda Fit, though that's a bit smaller. The Subie Impreza would probably count too.

I wish Edmunds would do a compro review. :)
  • autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    I share your opinion on the the riding position in the twins (Vibe + Matrix) compared to the M3: you drive in an M3 and on the twins(!)

Comparing the cargo room of the three, the twins win hands down.

Regarding Edmunds doing a comparison of current hatchbacks: Yes, please!
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    You forgot the Elantra GLS 5-door. For less than $12k after rebate and some discounting, you get a hatchback with good handling (same sport suspension and steering as the Elantra GT), nicely trimmed interior with sport cloth (pretty similar to what's on the 3 IMO), the same engine as the pricier Spectra5 (138 hp DOHC VVT), and 4-wheel discs. Driver's seat is the best in class due to the dual-knob height adjuster, and the back seat room is better than on the 3. And it has the long Hyundai warranty, and above-average predicted reliability per CR. I think it's definitely worth a look if you are looking for a 5-door, especially if you could use a few extra thousand bucks in your pocket. If price is no consideration, then the Mazda3 is the better car.
    That's a pretty good point, but the Elantra is more of an older-style slant-type hatch, whereas all the others are more box-style hatches like the Mazda3; the kind that are ALMOST wagons, but too short to really count as wagons. The box-types have lower liftover and a more square cargo bay. And I really wouldn't want to think about lifting a mountain bike into an Elantra hatch.

Still it's a pretty nice car, but I wouldn't call it "sport" suspension at all. Miles of difference between that and even a Focus's suspension, much less the sporty Mazda3; Elantra's suspension is just too soft and the handling isn't sharp at all. I'm wondering if Kia did it better with the Spectra5. Supposedly they did a truly decent tightening up of the Tuscon's sterring and suspension when they turned it into the Sportage. Maybe Kia is becoming the sporty division of Hyundai?
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    It's set stiffer than the Elantra sedan, but it's not on par with the Mazda3. Probably fine for most people though.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Elantra 5-door owners have reported that bikes fit just fine. The hatch opening is actually larger than on more wagon-like 5-doors, and liftover is the same (i.e. opening goes down to the bumper), so loading isn't the problem you imagine it is. I've popped my son's 24" bike in there (cheap bike, heavy frame) with no problem, wheels on.

Yes, the handling isn't quite as sharp as the Mazda3, but after driving both back-to-back over the same course I don't think most people will see a difference worth $4000+. If you frequently carve mountain canyon roads at high speeds, yes, you might want to pay the extra bucks and get the Mazda3. ;-) Or if you need to carry large boxy loads in the car, and need the more boxy cargo space of the 3.

Personally I prefer the "fastback" style of the Elantra over 5-doors like the Mazda3 and Spectra5. Hey, if I want a car that looks like a station wagon, I'll buy a station wagon--like the Mazda6.
  • genjigenji Member Posts: 1
    I feel your pain on A4. For this A4 fan the M3 was about the only econobox that looked and handled well enough to buy. Leather looks ok;keep in mind that seats aren't heated like A4, they might get a tad chilly in CO. My one previous experience with Mazda quality, the old 323, was great. Can't comment on Civic comparison; didn't seriously consider it for reasons mentioned by Modock,pricing approach noted was about what I got as well. Good luck.
  • markdouglasmarkdouglas Member Posts: 9
    I've had my SP23 5-door for two weeks now and absolutely love it. Handles great, excellent acceleration, bike fits in the back, the Bose audio is superb.....can't think of one thing that I would change !
    Could you give us an idea how your Bose compares to the Mazda3 GT hatch's regular audio package which comes with 4 speakers + 2 tweeters?

I believe the Mazda6 also has the Bose as its top end sound system. Would you know if it's the same system model?
    The last straw on my A4 is that I need to replace my air conditioner. Four digit cost (all to the left of the decimal point) and they have to remove the entire dash to get to it. I can't imagine that there will be no squeaks and rattles when it is all done. Love the car, but when anything goes wrong it's a trip to the bank.

Doesn't the SP23 have an option for heated seats? That would be a hard thing to give up. My wife would be unhappy for sure. The Bose would be nice, too. I'd love to squeeze as much luxury as I can out of my econobox purchase. It might make the switch easier.
  • cticti Member Posts: 131
    The heated seats and Bose aren't an option on the Special Edition. They are what make the SP23 "Special"

Jason
  • massimomorinmassimomorin Member Posts: 6
    The SP23 come with heated seat and leather as standard built in.
    I found the leather only ok (my previous VW had better leather) but the car looks sharp.
    The "bun-heater" works great...

About sound the BOSE system is great. About MP3 you need to buy an add on, that goes from 50 (radio waves) to 250 (ice-link) bucks depending on the quality of the sound you want.

The Honda SI.. I test drove it. Cannot say about reliability, but it comes with GREAT raccomandation. Everything else... uhm... a bit crispier accelleration, but quite "too simple" dashboard and not as fancy (really looked cheap, compared the SP3). Another thing I did not like is the leather option: no option, unless custom made. Not ideal!
    What else? yeah, it is smaller than the SP23 and not as spiffy.... but hey the Mazda cost $3k more tho.... so you do the math...

Hope this helps...

Max
  • mazda3indcmazda3indc Member Posts: 2
    It's a 2k4 CPO with 15k miles on it. Paid $16k

Probably high but it's worth it to me for the CPO warranty.

I was really on the fence about the car. It's not that it wasn't a good car and drove well (I did hear the suspension thump) but it really didn't blow me away. That's probably a good thing as I was able to make a more rational decision about it :)

The car is has all the options but Xenons, Leather, and Navigation.

The first thing I'm going to do is throw out those crappy Goodyear Eagles and get decent tires. Probably some Kumho Ecsta 712s or something similar.

Living in DC I wanted something small, 5-spd, and fun. The Mini was out because those cars are just not reliable and dealer service ratings on Mini dealers are slightly better than those on Soviet Gulags.

I might have considered a Focus if it was the European Focus but the "new" '05 Focus really does nothing for me.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Stop in and meet and greet some of your fellow Mazda enthusiasts at our weekly chat session. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET
    PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

The MAZDA MANIA Chat is on tonight. Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule
  • 3zoom3zoom Member Posts: 16
    auxilary imput hole? and does anyone have a picture of how the mazda mp3 player look like?

can i get a aftermarket mp3/cdplayer ?

thanks
    No aux input. They don't want one there I think, since it would compete with their own MP3 solution, really.

The Mazda MP3 player is a CD based unit, and replaces the CD player or 6 CD changer. Basically, everything different is behind the faceplace, so the only VISIBLE difference is the little thing that sayd "MP3" instead of "6 CD" on the CD changer, or blank with the regular CD player. Oh, and the MP3 player displays ID3 tag info on that information display above. That's about it.

You CAN get aftermarket...you'll need to buy a dash kit, and you'll lose the LCD display unit. Also if you've got wheel-mounted audio controls, they aren't going to work anymore unless someone knows of a special trick that I don't.

I like my wheel-mounted controls, which is why I'm using the Mazda OEM job, instead of figuring how to wire-up an Olympus m:Robe 100, which would looks SOOO sweet sitting on the Mazda stack :D
  • fullgrownfullgrown Member Posts: 2
    I'll second npaladin2000's post. A couple of other options... you can get an aftermarket FM modulator and do a line in that way. Currently, no adapter exists to jack in through the tape input, but that may change with time. The digital signals on the adapter will have to be reverse engineered by a third party manufacturer, so it may be a little while (if ever). In the meantime, I'm sticking to the FM transmitter for my iPod.
    Thnks fella for the reply, now if i buy the mazda mp3 player separately...cause they sell it online for around $270...would it be pretty easy to install and take out the stock? since its design for it. Wonder if any of u try that route. its sure much cheaper to buy the unit separately and install your self than have the dealer do it...also u can sell the original.
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    But it's good to see that someone still believes in the 3 after the side-impact issue.

http://www.aaamidatlantic.com/safety/release_content.asp?id=2009

Meade
  • rshipprshipp Member Posts: 2
    Hmmm...I went to Best Buy with my brand new '05 Mazda3 5-door Special Edition. The installers took one look at the dash and shook their heads. First of all, they said they weren't aware of a dash kit being available for the '05 Mazda3 yet. And more importantly, they said that a new unit (I was looking at an Alpine, for the integrated iPod functionality) would be unable to utilize the powered subwoofer that comes as part of the Bose sound system that came with the car.

Does anyone know more about this system and whether there's any way to work around this issue?

Randy...
  • codecrunchercodecruncher Member Posts: 5
    The official Mazda 3s hatchback car cover - online at mazadausa.com is $140.

Anyone have one? Does it have a hole for the antenna or do you have to remove that all the time?

Do you like it? I researched the fabric (Stormshield) and found many favorable comments.

How fast/easy is it to put on and take off?
  • cgr45cgr45 Member Posts: 36
    Hello everyone. I'm in the market for a new vehicle. I've looked at every car under the sun and I keep coming back to the 3. I drove it a couple of times and I love it. However, I've been reading this forum and other MZ3 forums. I keep reading about various A/C issues and how the Mazda Service Department is not doing a good job at finding a fix for this problem and others.

I currently have a 2001 Honda Prelude Type SH. I love that car. I've never ever had a problem with it. I would love to keep it but, it's a leased and I also want something cheaper(insurance on the Prelude here in NJ is $2500 a year) and more practical.

So folks is this a car that I could drive for the next 5-6 years without having to worry about any major issues? Also has the infamous A/C problem been fixed by Mazda?

Thank you for your time and comments.
    Well, I can't speak for years, since my Mazda3 is only a year old, but I've only had one problem with mine and that was fixed after delivery (took delivery fast because I had no car and couldn't wait).

I believe there's people running around driving Proteges without problems for years...I knew 2 people with 1990 Proteges that have had zero problems with them. One was even in an accident and all beat up but it still drives real sweet. :)
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    Depends on what you mean by good & reliable.

It will most likely be a little better then a Yugo - but not as reliable as a Honda or Toyota.

I would think it is about even with most cars in this class - Ford Focus, Chevy Cobalt - Dodge whatever.

I have posted before - The problem with Mazda is with the company - they really do not stand behind the cars that they sell.

If you want to understand this better look back at the post about the car with the clock that would not keep time. Mazda's position is - it must be off by more than 12 minutes per day before they will fix it. It is the same story with most problems. You are just out of luck.

Imagine the level of service you would get if you bought a 1988 Yugo - you will not be able to call an 800 number and talk to a customer service rep (because it does not exist) with Mazda you can call and talk to a customer service rep on an 800 number - but what both companies will do to solve your problem is basically the same. Which is NOTHING. If talking to a customer service rep that will do nothing to solve your problem is important to you than Mazda3 is the car for you.
  • tominsdtominsd Member Posts: 18
    If the quality control on the Mazda 3 is as good as past Proteges, the answer is absolutely yes. The Proteges are as reliable as Toyotas and Hondas - based on my experience and consumer report stats. I had a squeak in my Protege5 that was annoying me. Mazda spent several days looking at the problem (giving me a free loaner) and determined it was the rear brake rotors. They were replaced for free and their diagnosis was correct. The problem was resolved. I have a friend who has a 1995 Protege and it still runs like new - never needed a single repair. This is not unusual with these Proteges.
    hey guys, this site have mud guard i remember some of u are looking for one.

i didn't order one yet but will soon

http://www.autobarn.com/keystone/parts_lookup_keystone.php
    i just wonder is there any lower cost way to protect my M3 from theft...i was thinking the autolock pro...but ppl say is garbage.
    I am sure many people (well a few people) that bought Yugos also went many miles (ok maybe a few hundred) without any problems.

If you are one of the few that go 10 years without every having a problem then great - but I started having problems after less than 2 months of ownership - little things like grinding brakes, harsh shifting tranny, completely worthless AC system - & Mazda will not fix my car.

I think it is important - if you are posting how great Mazda service is to also post WHEN this service was delivered. I think Mazda may have been a decent company 3,4 or 10 years ago - maybe back then they fixed defects in their new cars. But I don't see many posts from MAZDA3 owners about how great they are about fixing they type of problem.

Anyone had a harsh shifting Mazda3 tranny fixed?

What about the grinding rear brakes - anyone had that problem fixed in the last 6 months?
  • cgr45cgr45 Member Posts: 36
    Thanks for all the info. After reading all of the posts on the these forums and some of the replies, I've decided to go with a Honda Accord. I like the Mazda3 much more but I'm not willing to take a chance on this car.

The Accord is actually a bit out of my price range. I rather pay $50-$60 more a month for peace of mind.
    "I've decided to go with a Honda Accord. I like the Mazda3 much more but I'm not willing to take a chance on this car. The Accord is actually a bit out of my price range. I rather pay $50-$60 more a month for peace of mind."

Congratulations, Carlos!

Toyota and Honda are acclaimed for their reliability and the Accord is much sportier looking than the Camry. After sales service, of course, depends on the dealerships involved; I have not heard anything negative about Honda dealerships and you likely have had good service up until now; Toyota dealerships I heard were better than most; Mazda dealerships have to improve theirs.

In defence of the Mazda3, Consumer Reports recently had rated it highest in its small cars with manual transmissions and one of the top 3 in the automatics; reliability was rated excellent. CR subsequently demoted the car for safety reasons (no side curtain airbags, like most small cars); I predict most decent small cars will come with them as options in the next year or two and Mazda3 will be restored to recommended as part of the top 3.

Full disclosure: I drive a Mazda Protege5, predecessor to the Mazda3; CR has rated the P5 as reliable for the last 7 years; I have not had a problem since purchase (2002); I am not car salesman.
  • cticti Member Posts: 131
    To be picky, the Mazda3 has side airbags as an option. Mazda apparently did not provide one for testing.

I can't imagine NOT getting one with sidee air bags as that option package as all the safety goodies - SAB, SAB, ABS, EBD. Acronyms aplenty!

Jason
    "the Mazda3 has side airbags as an option." Thanks Jason for the correction.

"Mazda apparently did not provide one for testing" I predict Mazda won't repeat that mistake again!

According to the Mazda3 brochure, side airbags don't seem available in Canada. Kudos to MazdaUSA!
  • barry42barry42 Member Posts: 64
    Oh cgr45 !! I must tell you my story !! I saw the car when it was first shown in the Mags !! What's not to like about the outside appearance !!I had a small Chevy Blazer that I never liked so I investigated more and everything I found out was positive !! the dash -- the interior -- the fit and finish -- and the best dealer in town was managed by an old friend of the family !! In Feb of '04 I bought an '05 HB in a color called Sparkling Sand 24E and Beige [ incidentally mud flaps come on the cars as standard down here in Guatemala ] The problems that others have cited have not occurred on my car !! It gets hot down here but the AC does a fine job !! The only thing I have done with the car is normal service !! But, if I did have a problem I know I would get good service , because , I know the manager as a long time friend !! I know I don't need to go on about the ride and the handling because anyone who owns a " 3 " knows that they are wonderful !!

I sold my wife's Toyota Yaris [ Echo ] last week and I'm going to order her a Mazda3 Sedan next week !!

Happy Hunting and enjoy your negotiating with the Sales Manager !!

incidentally, I am not a Salesman and I hate most of them !!

Cheers !! Barry42
    Yeah, the fact is, a majority of Mazda3 owners have had few to no problems, and what few problems we've had were fixed quickly, with no fuss. However, there ARE a select few 04 owners who appear to have had issues with the A/C system.

I predict cgr is going to end up with buyer's remorse after buying the Accord, which, incidentally, is also not a perfect model. And good luck with the Honda dealers...they think they sell BMWs ;)
  • markdouglasmarkdouglas Member Posts: 9
    I've been extremely satisfied with Mazda service. I had the 02 Protege5 and in February I traded that in for the 05 Mazda3 SP23....there were zero problems with the P5 and , when it was in for scheduled maintenance, the service I received was stellar. After one month in the new car, I have to admit I love everything about it. I'm expecting years of trouble free miles!
    Barry said: "In Feb of '04 I bought an '05 HB in a color called Sparkling Sand 24E and Beige ... down here in Guatemala ] The problems that others have cited have not occurred on my car !! It gets hot down here but the AC does a fine job !!'

Interesting testimonial : I think you're the member furthest south from whom we have heard; your positive experience with A/C is encouraging. Your light coloured car should be cooler than a darker one. Is it the interior that is beige? If so, very intelligent choice as the current dark interior, especially black leather, makes it much tougher to cool. (Are lighter cars more common in Guatemala?) Also, some have theorized that the A/C was an early problem that was solved after May 2004; I wonder if the fact that you bought yours trouble free in February means the problem was solved in early 2004. The A/C is worth checking even if the problem no longer exists.

p.s. Barry, why does "!!" end each sentence of yours?
    Hard to disagree with the logic that a darker color is more difficult to cool.

One sunny day my black Mazda3 was sitting next to my silver Z-71 in my driveway. The black Mazda3 was so hot I could not keep my hand on it - the silver Z-71 was barely warm.

BUT wait a minute - it is Mazda that decided to use black as one of the main interior colors in the Mazda3 - isn't it reasonable to expect that they compensate for this when they design the AC system?

Based on my defective AC system they must have done the testing in the winter.
    Based on my defective AC system they must have done the testing in the winter
    ... in Canada.

Which makes me think:
    - what is the latitude of Hiroshima?
    - how extensively is testing done for cars and their components, in other words, do they (and other car companies) test in different conditions (e.g. different parts of world) if they are selling for a global market?
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    When Mazda designed the MZ3 along with other products they decided to essentially build the same vehicle for all markets...Many carmakers, including Ford often "americanizes" cars to fit the needs and demands of north american buyers...Mazda didnt have the resources to make design modifications to north american cars only...example, longer seat bottoms, larger capacity A/C systems etc. Many features that americans want are a non-issue in most other parts of the world and vice-versa.

Mazda has plans to fit each carline to each specific market but these modifications are not due right away.
  • barry42barry42 Member Posts: 64
    The " !! " is just me !!
    The Beige is the interior color !! The combination of the Sparkling Sand 24E exterior and Beige interior makes for a stunning appearance !! I grew up in Montreal and learned there that snow melts faster off a light colored car !! I have bought only silver and white or sand colored cars since because they are cool !!

There are a few more light colored cars here --mostly silver -- but I don't think it is intentional -- you can't tell these people down here anything !!

Now to the AC " problem " !! Honestly, I don't think Mazda has attacked the "opportunity" I think it is the way I use it !! The car is in the carport when I'm at home , The color inside and out is light , I use that silver shield on the dash and of coarse I don't use the heater [ except only a little bit to take fog off the windshield !!

God !! I like this Car !! Barry.
    Rich said: "When Mazda designed the MZ3 along with other products they decided to essentially build the same vehicle for all markets. Many carmakers, including Ford often "americanizes" cars to fit the needs and demands of north american buyers...example, longer seat bottoms, larger capacity A/C systems etc. Many features that americans want are a non-issue in most other parts of the world and vice-versa."

True. Just sticking with North American scene, one can easily see key differences in the American, Canadian and Mexican car markets. One obvious difference is that the Canadian market tends to favour smaller vehicles compared to the US market because of fuel costs; the Mazda3 has been a top seller as a result (but for some reason diesel powered Mazdas unlike VW Golf TDIs have not made it across the pond from Europe).

That balance between building the global car while responding to local needs is one heck of a business challenge!
    So people that live outside North America like the hot - sticky - sweaty feeling they get from driving the Mazda3 on a hot day.

What a load of bull -

I understand and accept that there are many differences in what regional markets demand - but a good HVAC system is not one of them. This is just spin.

It would be like trying to claim people from "X" country really don't care if their brakes make grinding sounds - or if the car leaks oil - or burst into flames.

Lets face it - Mazda made two mistakes - First they designed an AC system that will not cool the car - then (and IMO a much bigger defect) they made the corporate decision to NOT FIX the defect in the cars that have already been sold.

Spin this any way you want - it still comes out the same if your car is defective.
  • big_guybig_guy Member Posts: 372
    I have been following this thread for quite some time and it is obvious that you are very dissatisfied with your Mazda3. It is quite apparant that you think your dealer is giving you the shaft and that Mazda does not stand behind their vehicles.

I have owned two Mazdas. A 1994 626 and currently a 2002 MPV. The 626 was great and we had no problems until the notorious Ford CD4E automatic tranny started giving us problems. Since the cost to replace the tranny in the 626 was almost as much as the vehicle was worth, it was easy for me to make the decision to get out of the 626. We have had no major issues with the MPV. Any problems we have encountered were quickly resolved by the dealer. This included the front suspension noise, the tappet sound from the valves, and most recently the PCV hose. We have also had a couple of recalls performed (for foglights, and airbag sensor). The MPV has been great to drive and fits our family perfectly.

I am in the market to replace my 2001.5 Passat (lease comes due at the end of June). The Mazda3 is tops on my list as a replacement. I do not hesitate to consider another Mazda in our household based on the track record I have had with our current MPV and our previous 626. I am truly sorry that you feel so poorly treated by Mazda and hope you are able to come to a resolution of your problems sooner rather than later - even if it means you have to lose money getting out of your Mazda3 and into another car you will be more happy with ... perhaps a Toyota Corolla or a Honda Civic.
    You are right I have had more than my fair share of "issues" with my Mazda3 and have started shopping for a replacement - even though I am holding out some hope that Mazda will step up and fix the defective AC in my car. I have stated many times this is not a dealer issue - it is Mazda corporate that is calling the shots.

I would like to see the 2006 Civic coupe and also plan to test drive the replacement for the IS300 & the Scion TC is still a possibility - more like a long shot.

What gets under my skin a little is when someone posts something like - the Mazda3 was designed as a world car and that is why the AC is not that good - like people in other parts of the world like to sweat. Just look at the differences between Canada and US models - if Mazda's goal was to have "ONE" car to sell everywhere then why so many differences? I also think a car with a 1.6L engine is also sold in some markets. So the thought that Mazda can offer different engines, safety features and even auto headlights in some markets - but then must use the same crummy HVAC system because they want a world car just does not hold water.
This discussion has been closed.