Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tundra 2000

Comments

• jcm1jcm1 Member Posts: 48
    tp4....well I almost sleept in her...I got about 200 ml on her now and Its amazing how the more you drive it....the more you like it....the 20 minute test drive at the dealers makes you like it...but now after two days, I'm totaly in love with it...!!dam its sweet!!!!

Quad....glad to hear at least you will give her a try sometime........the keys are waiting anytime your in Boston....
  • kernickkernick Member Posts: 4,072
    As the title of this Forum is "Tundra" and not "Pro Tundra Owners" or such, I feel it is okay to discuss why one would or wouldn't purchase a Tundra. This falls under the "general" title.

First, What I would like to clarify is my thoughts on quality - Toyota may have a slight edge in initial and longterm quality. You just don't have enough statistical information to judge, and that is why J.D. Powers and Consumer Reports exist. These reports state that almost any brand has very good quality these days.
    Design - I think the Toyota engineers went 98 yards, and kicked a fieldgoal. Nice but no TD. They should have matched the largest interior and box dimensions of the big-3 if that's who they're comparing themselves. I'm sure it's a nice truck for the size, and I did testdrive it and sit in the back. The GM trucks are better design by my meaning they are bigger, and have angled backseats. Again some people don't care about the little extra room but for the same money I want it.
    Content - Get on a road and hit a patch of ice or snow while accelerating and you'll find out why an Autotrac system in a GM truck is nice. There is no way in a Ford, Dodge, or Toyota that you'll engage 4wd to help you from seriously fishtailing or losing control. A saw one comment before that said something like "oh yeah that'll be broke" (inferring because it's from GM). It seems that if someone points out that another brand has a better design or feature that the Tundra doesn't ... there's that negative response of that'll be broke. Also why doesn't the Tundra offer rear disk brakes?
    I guess veryone is defensive about their choice. I'm simply telling those people who come here to research what to buy why I feel the Tundra was not the best design, content or engineering choice. Also Toyota is screwing the consumer by not having enough supply, thus allowing dealers to have a take-it-or-leave-it attitude.
  • berglund1berglund1 Member Posts: 9
    Why is it that all the chevy believers keep giving the toyota a bad rap on having back drums. Personally who cares what they are! Here is the situation, I am driving along at 70 down the freeway and come around a blind corner only to find a bunch of basically parked cars due to an accident a mile ahead. I'm in my Tundra Limited and slam on my abs and stop 3 feet from the back bumper of the next car in front of me. Now with the chevy same situation and with my oh so great 4 wheel ABS disks slam through that poor sap with my heavier, slower, slower stopping rig and mush him into a pulp and also push him into the car infront of him and that poor sap into the car in front of him. Now that it is now technically my fault for the rear ending and my new rig plus the 2-3 cars infront of me our smooooshed, am I happy about my 4 wheel ABS brakes that stop 20 feet further with load at 70 MPH??? I don't think so, cause I am in my tundra and stopped safely.

It is results that count not the means as to how I get the results. Kind of like the tow haul mode thing. Cool idea really but a good tranny will shift right regardless of load. Personally the tranny on the tundra is very smooth and tows a 21 foot open bow blue water easy, even going over the mountains here in Oregon with plenty of passing power even. Again results not how it gets them that counts.

Just my two cents but if it works and works well who cares how it was achieved as long as it is reliable.

Carl
  • eusasceusasc Member Posts: 91
    It's not that people get defensive about what they buy, humans don't like to be told what they need by someone who doesn't even know them. I'll just comment on a couple of your statements. In regards to reliability, I don't need Consumer Reports or JD Powers, I've compiled my own data. My data supports the fact that Toyota's are far and above superior in reliability then the big 3. You nor anyone else can argue that point in any way shape or form. My statistical data is flawless when it comes to the vehicles I've owned.

Obviously some people don't care that their trucks are a couple inches shorter and a couple inches narrower then others. I don't need em. Is there a problem with communication here. Once agian, I DON'T NEED THEM. Maybe you do, that's fine. As for 4X4, I DON'T NEED IT. So obviously I don't need autotrac. I think the last time it snowed here with any accumulation was about 4 years ago, guess what it was all gone the next day. Oh yeah, maybe you should actually look at the list of options available for the Tundra before you talk about them. They do offer 4 wheel disc brakes. Then again I DON'T NEED THEM. I never felt I needed them on my Ford or Chevy trucks either. It all comes down to this. I bought what I felt I needed and wanted. A 1 ton crew cab duelie has more room then a 1/2 pick up why didn't you buy that? I'm guessing it's because YOU DIDN'T NEED IT right? Oh and speaking of engineering design, as I've said before, I wouldn't even consider a Chevy because they don't have a drivers side back door. I NEED THAT. BTW, I'm about to buy a new sportbike. Perhaps there is a particular model you think I should have?
    Well I can't beat out the last veiw messages...but I have had my Tundra for three days and the feeling and excitement I have inside me just waiting, waiting! to climb back into her is worth more to me,then what anybody says....That's it I'm outa here...going drrrriiiivvvvving.................................................................................
  • t100toddt100todd Member Posts: 16
    After reading all of the posts about "This and That" I figured I might as well add my .02! When I decided to buy another truck I probably did as much rsearch as anybody! I work 11-12 hours a day to have the "Little" extras that life provides! Luckily for me, my supervisor has a 98 Chevy Silverado with the third door. The Chevy has good power, a comfortable ride and plenty of leg room. The Chevy also stops horribly, rides rough and has terrible road noise. It also has already had the power steering replaced, fuel pump, brakes and has had TWO electrical problems. This is from the bosses own mouth! He leased it and hates it! He is stuck until next year!

Now, I'm 6-3, 258lbs and need all the room I can get! BUT, I was not willing to sacrifice QUALITY for an extra couple of inches of room!

I also had a REAL problem with Chevy's "Third Door!" It took me FIVE minutes before I finally figured out how to open it! I'm not an uneducated person either! With the Toyota the door handle is ACTUALLY where its supposed to be! DUH! Idiot proof!

I also love having FOUR doors that open instead of THREE!

What I dislike the most about the Tundra is available options especially with the wheels and tires and the limited slip! The kit for the limited slip is SUPPOSEDLY on the way!

I happen to think that MOST GM trucks look better than my Tundra! Truly! But ... If I could have kept the 17inch tires and wheels that I put on my Tundra ... The Tundra looks MUCH better than GM's!

I had to choose between LOOKS and DEPENDABILITY! I chose DEPENDABILITY! My Tundra still looks nice though! PLUS it rides like a damn Lexus! How many GM owners can HONESTLY say that!? Probably as many as Toyota owners would claim that there Tundra's will pull a house! Not happening!

I'm happy with my purchase but Toyota can and will improve the Tundra.

I will say one more thing ... I can't even count the times I see GM owners "Wooing" over my truck! I never "Woo" over a GM, definitely not a Ford and CERTAINLY not a Dodge!

SO, I guess my truck is pretty darn nice ... For a TOYOTA!

I also read a post above about brakes ... My truck stops a lot quicker than a GM!

Each manufacturer has its own plus and minuses and that's what makes this country great!

Long live the boards!
    Todd~~~
    2000 Tundra SR5 Access cab V8 4x4 owner AND proud of it!
  • eostereoster Member Posts: 54
    I don't have ABS on any of my vehicles. A friend of mine has a Suburban. He had an alternator failure and immediately lost his brakes and steering while towing a 7000 pound trailer. Are the ABS dependant on electricity to function at all? It seems strange and maybe dangerous
  • lexmarklexmark Member Posts: 68
    My local Toyota dealer finally got a Tundra on the lot. My wife and I rushed down to get a look at it "in person" for the first time.

My wife's reaction was, "What a hideous looking thing, is it an army jeep?" I had to agree. Although I anticipated fine workmanship and a silky engine that had been promised, I simply was not prepared for the looks. (Much different than it looks in magazines)

Perhaps the designers have named it "Tundra" because it resembles the stark barren Tundra of the North? Even the redesigned Silverado, often accused of being too conservative, is starting to look great compared to this ugly Toyota Truck.

Are my wife and I the only ones who are reluctant to spend 30 grand on an ugly vehicle?
  • capt2capt2 Member Posts: 57
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder....also you need to see one with the fender flares on it too.
    Lovin mine...
    Berglund1 - take a look at any sports car manufactured today. What kind of brakes do they have? Disk and disk. Why? Because given any one vehicle a disk-disk outperforms disk-drum. I saw a comparision where the Tundra outbraked the big-3 trucks (Chevy a close 2nd) in a SINGLE test. Take those trucks and get their brakes warm as you may in the mountains or towing ... and then see how drum brakes do. Also the tires on a vehicle make a big difference ... in order for a test to really be valid they would need to have the same width, compound, and air pressure.

Eusasc - the reason I am comparing the Tundra to the Silverado 1500 is because that is what I'm buying, what is fair, and what Toyota says is the competition. The Tundra does not COMPETE with a 1-ton dually. It COMPETES with the 1500 Silverado, Ram and F-150. You are lucky that you don't need 4wd. However when I wrote it, I figured a lot of people do as that's the way many?, most? trucks come equipped.

t100todd - I am comparing the '99 and particularly the 2000 Silverado to the Tundra. The '98 was a 10 year old design, which would be compared to the T100 in that year. BIG difference. Also I don't want to insult a big guy like you, but try this test: open the backdoors on a Tundra and the backdoor on a Silverado, afte adjusting the front seat for comfort. See if you can get THRU (in 1 side and out the other)in much less time than you could get in the Silverado back, all the way across, and all the way back (essentially over twice the distance since the Silverado is wider). If you use the truck for passengers besides kids, they'll thank you for buying a Chevy.

Lexmark - I find the Tundra's looks likeable. Now Ford has an ugly 1/2 ton. The Tundra should have been bigger to compete with the big-3. Toyota had their head-up-their-you-know-what last time with no V-8 in the T-100. They nearly missed the boat again until some salesmen yelled at the Toyota executives to stay home if they didn't have a V-8. Again it is Toyota who says in their literature that they are COMPETING against the big-3, 1/2 tons. The fact is the Tundra is the smallest inside and overall. IF YOU PERSONALLY DON'T CARE FINE ... you may not need it. I am simply stating facts, and pointing out why I think Toyota made mistakes IN DESIGNING THEIR TRUCK IF THEY WANTED TO COMPARE AND COMPETE AGAINST THE BIG-3. Chevy has the advantage now, with Toyota a good 2nd.
  • tp4unctp4unc Member Posts: 437
    Buy the Chevy if that's the one YOU like. To each his own. However, I cannot go anywhere that someone doesn't come over to check out my Tundra. Ford and Chevy drivers especially(It was especially hot down at the bedliner shop). I am not counting the looks while driving either! Maybe they hate it, but the drool seems to indicate otherwise. I really like driving through the local Ford and Chevy lots. Those salesmen(and customers) all run to the window to sneak a peak. I wouldn't trade my Tundra for ANY other 1/2 ton(or 3/4 ton) truck. Period. I have to go now and time myself in the backseat dash!!
  • cwirthcwirth Member Posts: 169
    I think not, it may not have the look of the Dodges but it certainly is better looking than the Chevy
    Although the new Silverado has changed it
    still looks pretty much similar to the trucks made
    over the last several years.

I can't tell you how many people have stopped
    me at red lights, while I am in parking lots etc to
    talk about and look at my Tundra. Its unbelievable. Just the other day a young lady in a 4 Runner stopped in the middle of the street while I was parking and asked about it. She then parks her car and comes over for me to show her how the rear doors worked etc. She said "I bet you feel like a car saleman".

I am glad I have a vehicle that is different than the rest of the world, at least for a short time.
  • rwellbaum2rwellbaum2 Member Posts: 1,006
    I also would be reluctant to spend 30 grand on any truck. You should definately shop around for a better deal. I have to disagree with you and your spouse's opinion on the truck's looks. The first time I saw one I was in love with it. My wife wanted it more than me. We both think it's perfect size, slightly lower roof line and refined yet muscular curves are near perfect. It also has that classic toyota styling that seems to wear well with time. People constantly approach us in parking lots, gas stations, etc. awestruck at this beautiful creation. Sometimes I let my wife drive it just to see it rolling out of the driveway and down the street. I've tried to be picky about this truck, but I'm loath to find fault with anything but the most insignificant items.
    Anybody looking for a Limited in the Boston area?? The dealship who turned down my offer over $400 finally called me last night after two weeks. Boy did he feel like an [non-permissible content removed].. I played along. He still has the Limited for sale and would take my offer if I was still interested.
    I got him all excited then the "well sorry I just bought one the other night....good by" Made my night!
    So if anyone is looking for one let me know...the end of the month is close by......and I don't think they will be letting another offer slip by.
    I believe your Silverado is a '99 not a 2000 model. No matter though, the problem with the Silverado is not size or performance...it's the simple fact that it is a GM product. They are famous for their unreliable nature. If GM EVER gets quality to equal their performance potential, I would consider buying one again. They are not even close at this time...you'll learn that soon enough. I'm not gonna roll the dice with $25,000 to $30,000.

P.S. Are you now questioning Toyota's off-road capability? I've owned stock 4 cylinder 4x4 Tacomas that could go ANYWHERE any Chevy could go...no reason the Tundra won't do the same.
    What makes you think that most trucks are 4WD? I see 10 2WD trucks for every 1 4X4 here. I don't feel like looking up the statistics, but I'd be willing to bet that MAYBE %25 of P/U's sold are 4WD. Most people don't NEED 4WD. My folks lived in upstate NY, for 5 years before I was born. They also lived in ND for a couple years. They never owned a 4X4 and managed to get by just fine through those snowy winters. Now then, my little Asian mom could drive in snow in the middle of winter without 4WD, surely you aren't going to tell me you can't? The only people that I know of that NEED 4WD are farmers, ranchers and people that have to drive off road for work like construction workers or oilmen. So which one are you?
    I don't think the Tundra is good looking or ugly. I think it's pretty generic looking myself. Then again, if I was really worried about looks, I wouldn't buy a truck, I'd buy a sports car.
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    That is sweet satisfaction after how they treated you. They got what they wanted, which was a display truck. Bread gets stale when you leave it out too long.
  • gustusgustus Member Posts: 14
    The V8 Toyota has a chain powering the four cam shafts.Anyone who has experience with the older Toyota truck engines will tell you how reliable the chains are.My 86 22RE has 208,000 miles on original single cam engine,not to say its not time for a new timing chain.Hope my Tundra will do the same.Engines with fiber belts shouild be changed out sooner.My thoughts.
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    October '99 Truck Trend says v8 Tundra "The belt-driven intake cams motivate the exhaust cams through scissors gears..."
  • powercatpowercat Member Posts: 96
    T-100 Todd
    I'm 6'4 and about 260# and too fit great in the Tundra. With respect to your Tundra looks comment, why does everyone keep trashing the looks of the Tundra? It's a GREAT looking truck, if anything the GM trucks are ugly and Cliched', they have had roughly the same shoe box look for eons!
    Lexmark
    Like my momma always said,"Ugly is as ugly does". Why you felt you had to comment on just the looks of the Tundra in such a negative way is beyond me. If you are that shallow then you deserve a GM or Ford or God forbid a Chrysler product. The look you refer to as ugly is in reality aggressive and unique. So don't buy a Tundra, go buy a REAL ugly truck!
  • eostereoster Member Posts: 54
    The service interval is 60,000 miles on the belts. I'm sure that they should last at least that long, but I don't think that I would like the repair bill if it broke.
  • huskermarkhuskermark Member Posts: 3
    I need to know if the Tonneau covers for the
    Tundra is locking, is one piece and has some
    way of holding it self open.

Any help would be appreciated!
    I installed the Pace-Edwards roll top cover on my Tundra. It went on easy and looks great. Essentially, it is a cover made up of 2" wide aluminum slats with a cover of vinyl. It rolls up into a 9" square canister mounted behind the rear window. You do lose alittle space in the bed but it is lockable and mine is water tight. To get more info visit their site: www.pace-edwards.com.
    I'm neither a farmer, rancher (though I wish) or construction worker. I am an engineer.
    I live in New Hampshire, in the country but near the more urban areas. I had an '88 Jeep Comanche 4x4 last year, it had All-Terrain tires on it. Without a load in the bed or chains it does not go up my dirt driveway that gets packed snow/ice or over the hills in the area when snowing in 2wd.
    Also though I don't have a boat yet, I hear that boat ramps can be rather slippery, and require 4wd. Also my friend has a 2wd truck bought for towing a horsetrailer - which has been stuck in any moist field; they wish they had bought 4wd. You may live in a city, or not have ANY offroad or weather issues. Do you have a truck just to go to work and Home Depot? If so you could have bought a Camry wagon.
    If you think 2wd (I'm talking rwd) alone is good in anything except city type driving, if you're in New England you can try my '98 Camaro and see how far you get. I'll put on my crosscountry skis and beat you anywhere.
  • gustusgustus Member Posts: 14
    I may have been wrong about the chain driven cams on the V8. I know the older fourbanger Toyoto engines with chains are bullet proof.
  • toytundramantoytundraman Member Posts: 19
    What was the cost on the Pace-Edwards roll-top bed cover? And is it truly water-proof? Please, any info is appreciated. Thanks!
    The roll top cover cost me $600. That was the lowest quote I received locally. The other quote was $680. I installed it myself. The one shop I purchased it from wanted $150 the other shop that quoted $680 wanted $90 to install. It took me and my neighbor about 4 hours total to install. We screwed up the first time, did not get the side rail down totally flush, our error. I did not like it so I removed them, made the hole in the rail alittle larger and reattached them. Yes, there are several holes that need to be drilled but they are done just inside the bed.

If you have a bedliner it should be an under the rail type. Even though over the rail can be used extensive modifications to it must be made, no bedliner? you're ok or if you have a spray in liner.

Speaking of bedliners, you will have to cut the liner at the front of the bed (below the rear window). I removed the bedliner (factory installed) and took my power circular saw and cut it down about 9". I put it back in and the cannister fit perfectly.

As far as being leakproof. The manufacturer says that it is possible to have water leakage. There are two points that can leak, 1) through the stake pockets, although if you have a bedliner this will not occur, 2) where the cover butts up to the tailgate. This area does not leak for me since I adjusted the rails in such a way that the rubber weathersripping at the end of the cover compresses against the tailgate creating a really good bond.

There is one thing I had a problem with. I bought one of the first Tundras on June 3. When I went to my local accessory shop and ask about the cover he called Pace-Edwards to see if they had a cover for the Tundra yet. They said yes and I ordered it. When it came in the box said Toyota T-100. I called the manufacturer before I opened the box and told them I had the Tundra not the T-100. They said that it would work. When I did a dry-fit install first I notice that the rails were about 5/8" too long. I called them back and they said they measured the Tundra's box and said it was the same as the T-100 and that it must be my bedliner. I measured without the bedliner, they said they would make me new rails for whatever length I requested but it would take a few weeks. The tech support guy at Pace-Edwards said that the rails could be cut. That is what we did and it worked out fine.

Overall, I really like the cover. I haul computer equipment since I am in the network installation business and sometimes I pickup many computers and monitors and need to remove the top (roll it up).

Sorry to be longwinded but I thought I would provide enough info in case anyone else is interested.
  • powercatpowercat Member Posts: 96
    You are definitely right about the tire/wheel size, a lift kit would work with that combination but that may have to wait a while.
    Too bad you didn't get a picture of you towing that GM to show all the little GM buddies on our site.
  • tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    Bought one on July 3. I guess I have the only regular cab on the whole listing. I bet mine is the cheapest too. It was 16000. I have had the wheel sensation with the Dunlops but the dealership fixed it. This is my third toyota truck (I have also had 9 other toyotas). It is unbelievably smooth and rides great. I bought the tundra to pull a trailer, something my previous 4 cylinder T100 (94) would have trouble doing. Gas mileage is around 20. I think the stereo is great. This is the first Truck I have had to come with a radio. The previous two were outfitted with kenwood and boston acoustic accesories. I have already put almost 4000 miles on it. It's a whole lot more luxurious than the T100.
    I don't believe I ever said I NEEDED a p/u. I bought the thing so I can put a motorcycle in it. I don't think (now I could be wrong) that the bike will fit in the back of a Camry wagon. As for needing 4WD to get up a boat ramp, no you don't NEED it. My old 2WD F-150 with a straight 6 would get up boat ramps pulling a 19' jet boat. As for your friend with the horse trailer, why did he drive into the field. I don't know, call me stupid, but I think I would bring the horse to the trailer instead of the other way around.

Like I said before, my folks were able to get around in snow just fine with 2WD. If you say you need 4WD then you need it, I won't argue with you on that point. But just because a person lives in an area that gets snow doesn't mean he has to have 4WD. Now then, are you sure you want to trust a Texan with your Camaro in the snow? :-)
    I've been on these boards for a month or so, and what you said made me realize that geography has the most influence on the truck you select (not the brand).
    I have only been to Texas once (San Antonio, and I guess you wouldn't need 4wd. It's pretty much a given around here (new Hampshire or New England in general) that you spend the extra (I'd say the mix is 80-20 or 75-25 on 4wd vs. 2wd.
    I just look at it as you can't have enough power or enough traction - only too little. If I lived in Texas, Florida, Georgia, etc. I'd question it.
    As far as my friend getting stuck in the field with the horsetrailer... well when you go to places they usually have a dirtdriveway, and people park on the side on the grass which may be more mud - remember we probably get more rain. Hook a horsetrailer to it and now try and go. Too much mud or too much initial gas only digs the hole deeper.
    Anyway good points. Happy trails.
  • achiangoachiango Member Posts: 6
    jcm1,
    YES I'm looking for a Limited around the Boston area. Who has one - and where did you buy yours?
    I got mine at Atlantic Toyota in Lynn, I happened to be in there today and they had a few more SR5's on the lot... The Limited which was still around a few days ago was at Woburn Toyota. Sunfire Red..leather,running boards, ABS,CD changer....of course they wanted MSRP for it. That's why its still looking pretty on there lot...If you do go up....Make them a offer and walk...I don't think they will let you get away if its reasonable......good luck...also The SR5 I had on order might still be for sale at Rockingham Toyota. Black SR5 4x4 access cab with running boards,hitch,tonneau cover and mat.

Hey do I get a finders fee??? Have fun!!
  • rlmillerrlmiller Member Posts: 19
    After 2 months of reading all the comments in Town Hall and stopping by many Toyota dealerships to 'test' drive yet another Tundra, 8 in all, I finally had enough. I had to get a one. Found a Black Limited Access Cab with the basic necessities, V3, 6 disc CD, Off Road Pkg, and the driver's side power seat. Thanks to everyone for sharing their opinions on the Tundra, both positive and negative.
    Now I'm looking for opinions on bed protection. I had a York drop in bedliner in my last truck. Load locker I think it was called. Used 2x4's to keep things from sliding around too much. Not a bad solution but the truck bed sure did take a beating underneath the liner.
    I think I want a spray-on liner this time but I need to get more information on the process before subjecting my $28K truck to something I can't take back if I don't like it. Does anyone know of a web site were I can get more info on this.
    CWIRTH- Thanks for the 'longwinded' response on the Pace-Edwards roll top cover. I'm gettng one right after I make up my mind on the type of bedlner. Sounds like it should be fairly easy to install but any installation tips you could give me would be greatly appreciated. Also could you tell me if the rail system covers the stake pockets?

BTW, 265/70R16 BFG's. No vibration problem.
    This is the best truck I have ever driven!...IMHO
    The only other comments regarding installation of the Pace-Edwards roll top cover, 1) make sure you do not spread the sides of the cannister when mounting. The cannister box has two flanges on each side. Center the cannister in the middle of the bed, drill the four holes into the top of the bed rail and thats it. 2) make sure the rail assemblies supplied with the cover are flush with the truck's bed rails.

As far as the stake pockets, well you will probably lose them. The front two pockets (near the rear window) will almost be completely covered by the cannister. The rear two pockets will be about 1/3 covered by the rail assembly.

Also, I found that I had to remove the two front tie down brackets (the ones near the rear window). I unscrewed the brackets, removed them and then put the screws back into the holes. So the only tie downs you will have will be the two near the tailgate. I really wanted to have tie downs up front but the box would not fit with them. I am still trying to figure out how to get them back, maybe putting something in front of the box. I saw the ones you put in the stake pockets but again remember they are partially covered.

Hope this helps.
  • paulfolsepaulfolse Member Posts: 4
    I just purchased my Tundra through Priceline.com. I stated the exact truck I wanted and quoted the price I would pay, never expecting Priceline.com to find one since I had heard dealers weren't discounting much. To my amazement, within 24 hours they found one. The invoice was $22,841, list was $25,615. I got it for $23,200, $359 over invoice. GREAT DEAL!!!

It's an Access Cab SR5, with the following options:
    Deluxe 3-in-1 combo radio
    4-wheel anti-lock brakes
    Cloth captains chairs
    16" 5-spoke cast aluminum wheels w/mudguards
    Fog lights
    CQ Convenience package

I LOVE IT!!!! Best vehicle I've ever owned. No vibrations as others have reported. Absolutely no problems of any kind.

I weeded through all the BS from the anti-Tundra crowd and paid attention only to those who had purchased a Tundra. Since I heard very few negatives from them, I knew it must be a great truck.
    I think I got lucky because Priceline.com had just started advertising in Florida, and I believe they and the dealer were anxious to get some trucks sold via Priceline.com in Florida. I purchased it at Courtesy Toyota, Brandon, FL. I highly recommend Priceline.com. Easiest, most pleasurable vehicle purchase I ever made. In and out of the dealers with the truck in 45 minutes, with no hassle over price, since it was already set.

Good luck to all you desiring a Tundra. You are very intelligent.
    Thanks!
    I'm not sure I want leather, but I want to see it. Woburn is only a few minutes from here. I'm on my way!!!
  • rphronrphron Member Posts: 21
    Took a look at priceline.com. Looks like a good deal, but it isn't available in my area yet, darn it. I did do a browse search though, but when I entered all the options I wanted, it didn't list them all on the end page, so the price was not correct. Weird.

I am currently doing the cat and mouse game with a local dealer. Still waiting.
  • caturicecaturice Member Posts: 7
    I don't know about any web sites with info on the spray-in liners, but the October '99 Truck Trend magazine gives the lowdown on the process, complete with a guide to all the major companies that perform it. It's pretty detailed--much more than I could find anywhere else.

Let me know how it goes 'cause I'm in the same situation as you, but I've got a couple of months before I get the truck.
    If you're considering one, go to the dealer where you'd get it done, and ask to watch the process on a truck. If it's long maybe they'll have a few trucks in different stages.
  • toytundramantoytundraman Member Posts: 19
    Thanks for the info-I really appreciate it!
  • michaelb3michaelb3 Member Posts: 10
    I'm picking up my Limited 4x TRD this week and was wondering what the best "break in" routine was. I've heard the 55 and under for the first 1k but would appreciate any other good information. Waited a long time for this truck and would rather not screw it up. Call me paranoid. Also, does anyone know the size of the front and back door speakers in the access cab?
    Thanks for any responses
  • mbutvidasmbutvidas Member Posts: 8
    Anybody installed an after market alarm system in the Tundra yet?
    Yes, I have had one installed in my Tundra. It is a K9 made by Omega. It has the ability to lock the doors, starter disable and even has car jacking options. It cost $291 installed.
    Someone(eusacs I believe) posted earlier about the speakers. Apparently they are 6.5" speakers in the front(separates) and 6.5" in the rear. He replaced his speakers with Boston Accoustic RC61(separates) in front and RM6 in rear(I hope I remember the model #'s correctly). I believe he added a 4-channel amp and a new CD/tuner also. I may do it sometime in the future. As far as break-in, I took it easy for around 500-600 miles.(rarely over 60 mph and no hard acceleration...varied speed also). I now have over 875 miles on mine(1st oil change today...19.95 at Toyota Express Lube). Enjoy your Limited!!!
    Last fill-up: 15.53 MPG (4x4 V8 w/75% city driving)
    The prices quoted on priceline do not include any of the dealer/port installed options (bedliner, floormats, tow hitch etc) They do have all the factory options (leather ABS etc.) You have to talk to the dealer directly about DIO options.

I'm thinking of giving them a try, but there aren't any participating dealers around here. I may have to go to NY/CT to pick it up.
  • joindyjoindy Member Posts: 2
    I was told by dealer that you could not order the
    Tundra with your own selected options as the factory was only making a couple of configurations which the dealers than selected from. In other words, all the SR5's were coming with the alloy wheels which are standard on the limited.... All limiteds were coming with leather captain chairs etc.. In other words, I could not order a SR5 with steel wheels etc. This was being done as the factory could sell all these packaged orders so why should they need to customize according to specific customers needs. This makes sense...from factory standpoint although limits getting exactly what you want.
    I then here on message boards that you can order specific configurations? What has been experience of those oredering Tundra's?
  • joindyjoindy Member Posts: 2
    Regarding gas required for Tundra V8...after hearing you needed to run premium...octane 91...I called Toyota national customer assistance number. I was informed that all Toyotas require only 87 octane but Toyota recommends higher octane. In my area premium costs 20 cents a gallon more..so I can't see spending that for "better performance" as long as engine does not ping, miss-fire etc.
This discussion has been closed.