Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda3 Hatchback

Comments

• z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    Is it right to use the 323 and Protegee to rate the Mazda3?

What % of the Mazda3 is carried over from these cars?
  • autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    Is it right to use the 323 and Protegee [sic] to rate the Mazda3?
    Ultimately, Bill, you'll have to pose that question to the editors of several car magazines as well as Consumer Reports. Flipping this over, if someone told you that Mazda completely redesigned their Mazda3 and called it the ZBILL would you think that the tiger lost its stripes? Seriously though, I think the point of the linkage between these models is that Mazda has been building small cars for quite a while and these vehicles consistently rate well no matter what they are called.
  • cosanostracosanostra Member Posts: 91
    Meade -

KBØCOO here. Licensed in 1989 originally, only a Tech Plus - morse code has kept me from upgrading. Haven't been on in a number of years, my shack was a corner of my bedroom with an old Heathkit tube transceiver and antennas strung up in the back yard. Most of my contacts were done in the 10 meter range if I remember correctly. Sometimes I wish that I had kept up with it better. A middle school teacher of mine was an enthusiast and got a bunch of us students licensed.

I was never able to go mobile, but I always wanted to. :( Of course the only car I have owned that I would have considered mounting an antenna to was my 1973 Grand Am.

Glad to hear other parents have such good taste in names. :shades:

Sean KBØCOO
    Actually I think if you are going to rate a car you should base your rating on THAT car. Maybe if they are just adding a few features - like ABS or SAC or bumping up the HP a little bit - then it seems ok to base your rating (part of it anyway) on the old car - but if you have a complete redesign then it is just plain wrong. What does the 323 have to do with the Mazda3?

I always wondered how CR could have rated the AC in the Mazda 3 as excellent - now I know.

I don't read CR anyway and if this is the way they do things why bother/
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    "Also, since I just turned 50, I am somewhat surprised myself that this car appeals to me as much as it does."

What's so surprising about that? I bought a Protegé LX 2.0 in 2001 and love it, don't even want to trade for the Mazda3 at this time. Oh, and BTW, I was 71. If I was ready to trade I would go for the 5-door hatchback. ;) I can't think of any other car that is so RIGHT for the times we live in today. Sure, you have to compromise here and there, but it's the best value around and also very reliable. You can't beat the versatility and fun to drive elements.

If you buy another compact brand to pay less -- you will get a whole lot less standard; if you pay more for another -- you will not get much more for the additional expendature and none of the Mazda3's features. There just isn't anything else out there like it.

There are no carry-over parts from the Protegé that I have read about, not even the 15" steel wheels on the "i' model since they are 5-lug. All Protegés had 4-lug wheels making after-market alloys hard to find or limited choices.

fowler3
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    Maybe if they are just adding a few features - like ABS or SAC or bumping up the HP a little bit - then it seems ok to base your rating (part of it anyway) on the old car - but if you have a complete redesign then it is just plain wrong.

OK then, so much for that "legendary Honda reliability" when the new Civic comes out!

Meade
    It drives nice and the looks are fine, but I wonder how this car will hold up in the long run.

FWIW, here's my Mazda3/Protege history to date:

2005 Mazda3 hatch: 6,050 miles, no problems (current car)
    2002 Protege5: 52,000 miles, no problems (wife's current car)
    2000 Protege ES*, 91,100 miles, replaced front strut bushings at 70,000 miles
    1992 Protege LX*, 83,000 miles, no problems
    1992 Protege LX*, 29,000 miles, no problems (hydroplaned and totaled it in 1992)

(* = no longer own)

I did own one other "Mazda" product, a 1994 B2300 pickup -- a rebadged Ford Ranger, as all Mazda B-series trucks are, built in Lima, Ohio. It was a piece of crap. Engine problems started at 8,000 miles and plagued me until I unloaded the truck with 114,000 miles on it. I was "stuck" (financially) and had to keep the truck, and lemme assure you, it was five years of sheer hell. The Protege and Mazda3 are built by Mazda in Hiroshima, Japan, using nearly 100-percent Japanese parts. BIG difference!

Meade
  • pwimseypwimsey Member Posts: 16
    My '92 Mazda Protege DX lasted 165,000 with no major mechanical problems, and was running fine (although it needed a new muffler) when I traded it for a Mazda3 5-door at the end of June.
  • zzdadzzdad Member Posts: 5
    Well Mazda 3 appeal must be catching the AARP crowd since I am 57 and it appealed to me enough to also buy the 5dr ( RED). Just 1500 miles so far and it brings back some sports car memories of years ago. My watch list includes paint integrity, AC is okay for me - I just try to find some shade on these hot VA days, the interior really soaks up the heat. The paint seems to injure more easily than I expected. Looks like I will become a chip repair expert. Already put a coat of sealant ( wolfgang) to help keep the bugs and rain spots easy to remove. Otherwise, all the tests and reports that I have read give thumbs up on the 3. MPG ranges from 25-32 so far depending on type of driving. I bought the ABS SAB/SAC for insurance and safety plus the auto so Mom can also drive it. I miss the stick but the mannyauto can be fun. Good luck with your 3

mike
    Where in Virginia are you? I'm in Richmond, and I've got a 2005 5-door in red too ... with a manual.

I'm 40.

Meade
  • jpmccormacjpmccormac Member Posts: 98
    kapus: Re
    "Also, since I just turned 50, I am somewhat surprised myself that this car appeals to me as much as it does."

Heck, I just turned 60 and the 3 is tops on my list to replace my '96 VW Golf GL. I haven't yet decided whether to opt for the hatchback or sedan, probably the sedan, as I don't need the bigger engine (Anything would outrun my VW, but it has great handling, seats and ergonomics.)

As an aside, when I drove onto a dealer lot to look at cars, the salesman said, "What kind of VW are you driving? I've never seen one of those around here." I live in the middle of Nowhereville, Florida. :)
    I just pray every day that I won't turn out like my dad, who at age 71 is happy as a clam in his coffinlike Buick Riviera.

Please, Dear God, no. NEVER! :cry:

Meade
    I am temporarily in the Richmond area a place called Midlothian. Perhaps we have passed each other from time to time.

mike
    Mike -- I live in Midlothian!

Meade
  • smariasmaria Member Posts: 279
    I always wondered how CR could have rated the AC in the Mazda 3 as excellent - now I know.

I don't read CR anyway and if this is the way they do things why bother/

In defense of CR, they openly state that the Mazda3's overall reliability is "predicted" because there's a very short reliability record when a model is brand new. But their rating for the 2004 Mazda3 (reported by them in 2005) is supposedly based on data from actual 2004 Mazda3's.
    Meade

Then I am sure we have passed each other. Mine has a South Carolina plate, my current home state.

mike
    I have seen two other Velocity Red hatches in town; one driven by a woman downtown in the mornings, and the other out in my neck of the woods -- must've been you! I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Mine has a Virginia plate with a ham radio callsign on it.

Meade
  • kapuskapus Member Posts: 11
    Well made the plunge today and purchased the 3. Picking it up next week. Question for the group. I live in the Midwest and it has been years since I purchased a new car. Is it worth getting the car undercoated? The 3 does not have undercoating as is and it is an additional charge. I think around 200. I know that was something that they pushed the last time I bought a new car, but I really don't hear about that now. So, I am wondering if it is something that is needed if you live in a climate with snow and salted roads or if it is just money for nothing.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I would skip it. I live in the Rust Belt and the last vehicle I had rustproofed was a '91 Caravan. Cars today come from the factory better equipped to fight rust than in the past. My current car is a '01 Elantra that has been through five winters of road salt and has no signs of rust. I do take it to the car wash in the winter when the salt builds up, and wash and wax it myself (and touch up scratches) the rest of the year, including spraying the rocker panels and in the wheel wells. I think those things are more important for preventing rust than aftermarket rustproofing. If you get it, be sure it's rustproofing, not undercoating.
    backy,

thanks. it is undercoating, not rustproofing of the car. my current car had both and it is an 89 Legend with no rust. i did take care of it and it was kept in a garage so i am not sure how much of a difference either the undercoating or rustproofing meant.
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    This applies to new cars too...

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/buying/articles/43096/page007.html

Undercoating is a scam. Jjust like all the other add-ons dealerships try.
    my current car had both and it is an 89 Legend with no rust. i did take care of it and it was kept in a garage so i am not sure how much of a difference either the undercoating or rustproofing meant

If you intend to keep your new car for a while (5+ years) and you live in an area that regularly salts its roadways, proper rustproofing makes sense. In fact, in Canada it's a bit of a religion. Most of us can avoid surface rust with some regular cleaning; what is more difficult to combat is the rust that you cannot see, for example the rust caused by trapped moisture inside the doors or under the car. The rustproofing should not just coat the car but repel moisture. The Krown treatment I use is applied annually to ensure that no gaps have been created since the last application; several police forces and the Canadian military have it applied on their equipment. By the way, keeping a car inside is effective if your garage is unheated; heated garages promote thawing which converts that snow-salt to convert to rust soup.
    Was that you on Hull Street Saturday evening around 8:20? I was in the left-hand lane, heading west, and you (or whoever that was in a Velocity Red 3 hatch) was in the right-hand lane, heading west too. I first saw the car near the front of Costco, and lost sight of it around Genito Road. There was too much traffic to get over to see the plate -- we wound up at the stoplight in front of Costco side-by-side, but there was a big pickup truck in the middle lane between us. I honked and honked when I could, between cars, but the driver of the other 3 was kinda zoned!!!

Meade
    thanks for the information. it seems that there is conflicting opinions on this subject with no real definitive answers.
  • mazda6smazda6s Member Posts: 1,901
    In any case, if you go for the undercoating use a company that specializes in it, not your local dealer.
    Right!
    The dealer contracts that stuff out usually.

We had it done to my wife's 2002 Protege5 when we bought it in January 2002. It's a thick, rubbery compound -- not the sticky tar stuff many may think of -- that is actually a little flexible when you push your finger on it. Not only did it cover nearly everything under the car and in the wheel wells, it also made her car quite a bit quieter than the interior of my 2000 Protege ES with the same tires. I probably wouldn't do it again (and I didn't on my 2005 Mazda3 hatch) -- but since the 2002 was our fifth new Mazda from this particular dealership, they threw it in for practically nothing -- and it made my wife happier with her purchase. What price spouse satisfaction, I ask?

:shades:

Meade
    Meade:

Not me , I have been Tampa, FL for the past few days. That ZZ must be a non forum owner, I would have acknowledged.

Back in town later this week.

mike
    It would be better for your car to just throw a stack of $20 bills in the toilet -

Undercoating does more harm than good - traps water and salt and makes it impossible to wash off the underside of your car - I would not let them do this to my car even if they wanted to throw it in for free.

Back in the 1970's it was normal to see a 3 year old car with rust spots - (any where salt was used on the roads) - Today you see cars that are 7-10 years old that do not show any signs of rust.

But if you still have doubts - and think this is what you want to do -

Then at least - ask them to let you watch the rust proofing of another car - before you let them do yours. I think after you see what they really do you will change your mind.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    I have to agree with this...

I wouldn't want all of that on the underside of my car.... keeping air from the exhaust, etc.. Any idea of the running temperature of a catalytic converter?

And...I live in an area where roads are heavily salted...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

They didn't spray the exhaust.

Keep in mind that your car has a certain amount of rustproofing already applied at the factory. And if it's done correctly, it won't trap water -- it'll keep it sealed out. Like I said before, I'm generally against it being done -- unless, of course, it's thrown in for virtually nothing like ours was. Bill, it was more like throwing one $20 bill down the toilet for us. Maybe two. Hell, that's less than two movie tickets, popcorn and sodas these days.

You gotta learn how to deal with a dealer -- I had to take my 3 back after delivery to get the wheel locks they forgot to include, and instead of just complaining, like many are prone to do, I grabbed a Mazda3 accessories flyer, walked straight in to the sales manager's office, and said, "I'm mad about having to come back here three days later to get you to install the wheel locks you said were on my car. And I know what I'd like to you do to make it up to me."

"What?" he asked.

"I'd really like a set of these $90 'Premium Carpet Floor Mats,' in red."

"Done," he said. "I apologize for the inconvenience."

Now I use the standard-issue black ones in bad weather, and the free $90 ones in nice weather!

Negotiating pays off even after the sale, my friends!

Meade

P.S. Walt, they use just as much salt (mixed with a nice measure of sand) over here in Virginia as they do in Kentucky. My wife's Protege5 has been through four icy, snowy, salty winters and her (car's) underside is doing just fine!
  • manueltrans1manueltrans1 Member Posts: 136
    We looked at the Mazda 3 just now at the Mazda Dealer. It can have a Navigation System, one of the rare options for a car of this price range. It has side curtain head protection also. But not stability and traction control. Does anyone know if the 2006 Mazda 3 have it? Does anyone know when they would be available in the United States? I read in some posting that the 2006 cars are on the ship already and the 2005 Mazda's have ceased production. Does anyone know about stability control and traction control, is it available in this 2006 model?
  • cticti Member Posts: 131
    Somebody posted what will be added to the 2006 Mazda 3 in one of the Mazda 3 forums. If you do a search I'm sure you will find it.

But I believe the answers to your question are, "No" and "No"

Too bad, too. Because I would like the option to get both.
    I'll post them here shortly.

Meade
    My first version of this contained an individual's name -- a big no-no! Here's the revised info:

New Features for 2006

The 2006 Mazda3 is a carry-over model, but there are some exciting new features for 2006 models including the addition of variable valve timing (VVT) to the 2.0L engine, the addition of PZEV (for five states) to the 2.3L engine, and the addition of a 5-speed Sport AT to the 2.3L engine. All models with air conditioning also contain a pollen filter and ambient (outside) temperature display in the center instrument panel. All 2.3L models add standard ABS and variable-intermittent front wipers. The new 2.3L "s Grand Touring" model (which replaces the successful 05MY Special Edition SP23) contains the SP23 features plus automatic climate control and a driving information system (trip computer) for around the same price as SP23 -- a great value on a well-equipped car! There are two new exterior colors for 2.3L models: Copper Red Mica (replaces Lava Orange) and Whitewater Pearl Mica (replaces Rally White).

Pricing for 2006

The 2006 pricing is based on 2005 models with pricing adjustments for equipment changes. Estimated pricing for major equipment changes includes ABS ($300 MSRP), SAB/SAC ($500 MSRP), 5AT ($950 MSRP), Bose Audio ($400 MSRP), Manual A/C ($880 MSRP), Automatic A/C ($100 MSRP), Driving Information System ($50 MSRP), and Whitewater Pearl Paint ($200 MSRP).

Build Combinations and Model Lineup for 2006

In addition to all these great new features, the really big news for 2006 Mazda3 is a reduction in factory build combinations from 110 to 50 MSCs which will help all dealers with production ordering and inventory management.

This MSC reduction is a direct result of dealer feedback regarding the need to streamline the Mazda3 ordering and inventory process. The majority of MSC reduction is a result of making previous 2005 model optional equipment (e.g., ABS, SAB/SAC, Xenon, TPMS) standard on certain 2006 models. Also, the Navigation System is now only available as an option on the "s Grand Touring" model, and Bose Audio is added to the Moonroof and 6-CD changer option package on the "s Grand Touring" model.

2.0L 4-Door "i" model

The 15" alloy wheel option is no longer available.

The ABS/SAB/SAC package is now available on entry-level 4-door models with A/C. Please consider the increasing popularity of this option (over 50% take rate nationally for 05MY) and the expectation that key competitors will offer standard ABS/SAB/SAC for 06MY. The Mazda3 ABS/SAB/SAC will be competitively priced for 06MY.

2.0L 4-Door "i Touring" model

The core 2.0L 4-door "i Touring" model replaces the "Power Package with 16" alloys" and both the equipment level and pricing are similar to that of the 2005 model.

Standard equipment: "i" model plus air conditioning with pollen filter and outside temperature display, power door locks/windows/mirrors, cruise control, keyless entry, driver's seat tilt/height/lumbar, 16" alloy wheels, 205/55VR16 tires, front tweeter (2) speakers.

2.3L 4-door and 5-door "s" models

Carry-over 2005 model equipment plus pollen filter, outside temperature display, and variable-intermittent wipers. ABS is now standard equipment on all 2.3L models.

Options include the all-new 5AT, the very popular Moonroof & 6-CD Changer package, and SAB/SAC package (on 4-door model).

2.3L 4-Door and 5-Door "s Touring" models

Making key sport and safety equipment standard on the "s Touring" model and simultaneously limiting options results in a significant decrease in build combinations.

Standard equipment: "s" model plus 17" alloy wheels and side sills (4-Door model) and standard SAB/SAC. Options include 5AT, Moonroof/6-CD package, and Leather Trimmed Seats.

2.3L 4-Door and 5-Door "s Grand Touring" models

Builds on the popularity of the well-equipped and highly popular SP23 (with black leather interior and eight available exterior colors) while reducing built complexity by offering only three options: 5AT, Moonroof/6-CD/Bose Audio package, and Navigation System.

Standard equipment: "s Touring" plus leather trimmed seats, heated front seats, automatic climate control, driver info system, auto on/off headlights, rain-sensing windshield wipers, Xenon HID headlights, tire pressure monitor system, security system, LED taillights (5-Door).

The new 2006 Mazda3 model lineup is streamlined and less complex, and we expect the great sales momentum to continue in 2006 for this class-leading compact car!

Source: Mazda North American Operations, May 10, 2005
  • dridedride Member Posts: 139
    What are the advantages/disadvantages of Mazda using 10w-20 oil in the 2.3 engine? I am having a hard time finding it. Why did Mazda put it in the 2.3 engine? Did any 2004 owners run 5w-20 in the winter?
    Main reason is better MPG when compared to 10w30 and 5w30 oils.

The 20 in 5w20 is the weight of the oil after the engine is fully warmed up - 20 weight is lighter than 30 - so this oil will be easier to pump (less viscosity) and still provide the lubrication your engine needs in ALL NORMAL driving conditions.

A heavier oil is not automatically better and can actually be bad for your engine.

Although many people will say things like - I have been using 10w40 since 1972 and I have never had any engine problems! Or I want a heavy oil because they provide better protection - a thicker film between the moving parts - and I drive hard so I need the "extra protection". All pure myth.

Use what the owner manual calls for.

You can buy 5w20 at Walmart, Target, AutoZone or just about any place were oil is sold. Ford (Motorcraft) & Honda even have their own brands. My dealer uses Castrol which is available everywhere.
  • jmillsjmills Member Posts: 77
    The Mazda 3 2.3 manual calls for 5W -20 oil not 10W-20.

I have run strictly 5W-20 in my Mazda 3 2.3 for the past 12 months and 32,000 miles and it doesn't burn a bit of oil and gets superb mileage.

Strongly suggest youy stick to the reccomended 5W-20
  • perry99perry99 Member Posts: 43
    I'm having the hardest time deciding between getting a sedan vs. a hatchback. I like the way the sedan looks better, but know the hatchback has a more versatile cargo area. Anyone else have this dilemma? Reasons for picking one over the other? Thanks in advance.
  • dridedride Member Posts: 139
    5w-20 is correct, I don't know what I was thinking earlier. I used to have an oil burning VW, and in the winter I would run 0w-30. The manual calls for 5w-20 year around so that's what I'll be putting in. It sure is more expensive than 5w-30.
  • ezcompanyezcompany Member Posts: 28
    The reason I went for the Hatch is cause the front has a more defined look. In specific, the cuts around the hood give it a nice look from the rear-side. It just looks more sporty than a sedan. Also, I saw almost everyone driving a sedan, just wanted something different- something that stands out.
  • ezcompanyezcompany Member Posts: 28
    I was driving down 49 and this gurl in her Red 3 Hatch was like - "wuzzup" and I was like "wuzzup" and then I was like "how you doin" and she was like "aaight" and then I Was like "cool - peace out!"
    I've had the same thoughts. The 5-door is more functional. You could get some big stuff in there, and getting a bike in is a lot easier than in a sedan. On the other hand, there have been some reports of "sloshing" noises from the gas tank on the 5-door, and you can't really put a rear-mount bike rack on it. Also, the 5-door has considerably less rear headroom. But, I think the 5-door looks better.
  • herrkaleuherrkaleu Member Posts: 62
    there are rear mountable bike racks (though, in order to access the trunk you need to take them off).
    the 5-door has more space.... you can fit in a dishwasher... can any sedan?
    and the look.... it looks similar to the BMW 1 series... jsut a little better and bigger.
    Rear headroom.... booh hooh.... the one who pays for the car sits behind the wheel, and uses the trunk... doesn't sit in the back :-)
    My choice was simple.

I fell in love with hatchbacks way back before summa you youngin's was born. My second car was a 1980 Saab 900 Gli 3-door. Then (after the Saab and its monthly repairs ruined my bank account) my next car was a 5-door Hyundai Excel GL. I was saddened when Mazda dropped the 323 hatch the year before I bought my first Protege -- and then the hatchbacks disappeared from the U.S. in the early 90s. I think one of the best-looking hatchbacks ever was the last-generation Honda Accord hatchback in 1987, which they dropped in 1988 in favor of the 2-door coupe.

When Mazda brought the hatchback back to America in 2001 as the 2002 Mazda Protege5, we bought one for my wife. I realized how much I missed not only the cargo-hauling capabilities, but just the plain sexy looks of a hatchback. When my 2000 Protege ES sedan was getting "long in the tooth" earlier this year, there was no question what body style I wanted. I'd been in sedans for 14 years, and the hatch was back!

I owned a small pickup truck for a few years, but I realized soon after buying it that it was only occasionally that I needed the full functionality of a pickup truck. But alas, back in the mid-90s, there was really no other choice. Now there is. I get many comments on the looks of my Velocity Red Mazda3 hatch, yet it still carries mulch home from Home Depot and even carried my lawn mower to the repair shop a couple of months ago.

With apologies to Volvo, I tend to use a phrase to describe my 3 hatch that Volvo used in an ad introducing its Turbo wagon in the early 1980s. It was a full-page magazine ad showing the Turbo wagon from the side, and you could see a happy driver in front and grocery bags in the rear. And the tagline read,

"With xxx horsepower, groceries aren't the only thing it hauls."

Loved that ad.

Love my 3 hatch!

And btw, in 7,900 miles and a bunch of twisty mountain roads, I have yet to hear one slosh from my car's derriere! So you can put that myth to rest!

Meade
    The hatch has exactly one inch MORE headroom in the rear than the sedan. That number increases to 1.3 inches if you compare the cars with moonroofs!

Come on -- don't post stuff like that without checking your facts first!

http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/pdf/specs_features/veh_specs_MZ3.pdf

Meade
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    I didn't bother checking, but rather raised an eyebrow when I read that the sedan had more headroom than the hatch. Didn't seem possible. now we know it isn't!
    The sedan's roofline slopes down toward the rear window over the rear passenger area. The hatch doesn't need to do that ... so ... it doesn't!

Meade
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    ...depends on your hair style, hip room depends on what you eat, and shoulder room depends whether you slouch (shoulders forward) or sit up straight. ;)

fowler3
    No, a rear-mount bike rack doesn't work well on 5-door models. This is because the upper straps have to hook at the top of the hatch as there's no front lip on the truck lid to hook them to. It can be done but it looks pretty scary. The best bet here is a hitch mount, but then you gotta install the hitch first.
This discussion has been closed.