Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tundra 2000

Comments

• tp4unctp4unc Member Posts: 437
    BS on the SR5 having only alloys...BS on ALL Limiteds having leather seats, too. I have seen LOADS of SR5s with steel wheels(don't like the wheel, however) and one Limited(the only Limited I've seen) with cloth seats. Ordering straight from factory is not really feasible unless you want to wait a LONG, LONG time for your order(3 to 4 months). Your dealer can "preference" a Tundra instead. They can run a computer search and determine what Tundras are arriving at the regional distributor and how each is equipped. The dealer can reserve one for you in his allocation. The distributor can add(if needed) options to your taste. For instance, my Tundra was shipped from the factory with Convenience Pkg, Fod Lights, and CD player. The distributor added alloys, hitch, and fender flares per my request(several other options are available...I only wanted these). The wait was about 5 to 6 weeks. You may be able to get one quicker depending on your options and whether the dealer can locate one at another dealership. Good luck. Keep us posted. BTW, mine runs fine on 87 octane.
  • rlmillerrlmiller Member Posts: 19
    The local truck accessory store did not have the roll top cover in stock so they had to order it. I'll have to wait to see how it's going to look. My main concern is not losing the stake pockets but how it would look partially covering the pockets. I was hoping the pockets would have been either fully covered or fully exposed for a smoother look. I know, critically AR, but I'm too old to change. I did find the following on the Pace-Edwards site which has given me hope.

================================================
    Dee Zee Inc. manufactures a custom bed rail protector molded to the shape of the truck’s bed rails and the tailgate, successfully covering the stake pockets and enhancing the appearance of the
    truck. The DY-NAM-X side bed caps are an attractive, easily installed bed rail protector that will accommodate the Roll-Top-Cover nicely while alleviating any leakage which may occur at the stake pockets. This also adds to the aesthetics of the Roll-Top-Cover giving the truck a similar appearance as the OEM siderails of the Ford 1997 F-150.
    ================================================
    Now I just need to find out if the make one for the Tundra.
    Missed the title for the previous response!
    Thanks for the spray-in liner tip. I'll pick up the October issue of Truck Trend for future reference but I decided against the spray-in for now opting for a bed mat. When the bed gets trashed, hopefully a few years from now, I'll go for the spray-in. After posting that last message, I found topic #252, Rhino Liners vs set-in liners , and became much better informed on the products.
    Also found the follwing sites:
    http://www.linexcorp.com
    http://www.rhinolinings.com
    I also considered the 3 sheets of plywood solution. Worked well years ago with my '75 Toyota HiLux, in the years before plastic bed liners. whoa, I'm geezzing now, better stop.
    Good luck on your new truck.
  • jimcarrjimcarr Member Posts: 37
    rlmiller;

You probably won't want to read this message after you find out that I am the satisfied owner of a Z-71 Silverado.

However, I have purchased rail covers from the vendor you indicated (DeeZee) made of stainless steel and I am not at all satisfied with the fit on my truck.

Perhaps it is because of the fact that it is a Chevy, but I doubt it.

Look carefully at whatever you intend buy before you install them as they won't come loose after you stick them on.

Jim Carr
    Thanks for the spray-in liner tip. I'll pick up the October issue of Truck Trend for future reference but I decided against the spray-in for now opting for a bed mat. When the bed gets trashed, hopefully a few years from now, I'll go for the spray-in. After posting that last message, I found topic #252, Rhino Liners vs set-in liners , and became much better informed on the products.
    I also considered the 3 sheets of plywood solution. Worked well years ago with my '75 Toyota HiLux, in the years before plastic bed liners. whoa, I'm geezzing now, better stop.
  • toytundramantoytundraman Member Posts: 19
    Which five spoke alloys do you have?-Is it the port or the factory alloys? Just Curious! And why did you change oil @ 875 miles?
    Try www.putco.com for bed rail protectors and other goodies. They make high quality stainless(also powder coated) accessories. They tell me Tundra products are in the works. Should be anytime now. You'll need to call them for info.

Toytundraman,
    I have the port installed alloys. Option code
    WY3. Toyota calls them "machine-cut" alloys. The sticker price was $679(invoice was $519). I guess you could call them "6-spoke". As for the oil change, I have always heard that it's a good idea to change the oil between 750 to 1000 on a new engine to remove any metal particles or other debris that may have entered the engine during the manufacturing process. This may be a total myth but changing the oil can't hurt. I'll be on the 3000 mile plan from now on. Any thoughts from others on this topic????
    Jim Carr,
    Thanks for your input on the Dee-Zee bed caps. When I get the caps, I'll be sure to test fit them and if not happy with the looks, return them. I am curious if the caps you bought were specifically for your truck or the 'universal' fit ones that I see at many of the auto parts stores.
    Also, I have nothing against Chevy, Ford, Dodge, or whatever owners. There are good and bad points to all these vehicles and the tough part if figuring which good points are important and which bad points are unimportant. I was happy with my Ford Ranger 4x4 XtraCab but my son outgrew the backseat. I was real close to becoming a Z-71 Silverado owner. Test drove 4 of them. Really nice , well built trucks. Was #1 on my list until I drove the Tundra, then it fell,..Like a Rock.. to #2.
    Again, Thanks for your input.
  • cwirthcwirth Member Posts: 169
    rlmiller:

No problem for the comments. But I will have to make a corrrection to my previous post. You asked whether the stake pockets are covered. I told you that the rear pockets are about 1/3 covered. This is incorrect. Shortly after I wrote that I went out to my garage to wax the Tundra and noticed that the rear pockets (closest to the tailgate) are actually not covered at all. The side rails of the cover is very close to one edge of the pocket, but again, the pocket is not covered at all. The front pockets are almost completely covered, probably have 1/2" showing.

I also wanted some type of bed rail cover to cover the rest of the bed rail. I looked at Dee Zee but I did not want to go with the stainless steel diamond plate. What I wanted was plastic similar to what the F150 has on it. I could not find it. But that is no suprise I am having trouble finding most aftermarket items. My new thing is trying to find color keyed (or paintable) street fender flares. I do not like the ones that are factory, they are too big. Makes the factory tires look too small especially with the black flares that come with the TRD package on the SR5. I think aftermarket street flares will be available in the next couple months, so I've been told.
    I was really surprised that the Tundra manual recommended 7500 miles between oil changes(for normal driving). Have other manufacturers done the same or is this a Toyota thing? My '95 Ranger recommended 3000 miles which I always thought was a bit of overkill. I've always done 5000 miles with all my previous vehicles.
    tp4unc
    Thanks for the Putco link. They seem to have a better selection of bed rail protectors.
    Didn't think of them even though I had a set of their bed rails on my old truck. Expensive is right, I remember those thing set me back about $200.
  • pickup2pickup2 Member Posts: 13
    I have a 1993 Toyota 4WD Pickup and a 1995 Camry. The manuals for both cars recommend oil change at every 7500 miles. The dealer where I got both cars recommends oil change at every 3750 miles. However, I take my cars to a dealer that is closer to where I live. That dealer recommends oil change every 3000 miles.

I read in the Southern California Auto Club monthly magazine a few months ago that to change oil sooner than that recommended by the manufacturer is a waste on money for normal driving. The magazine said if you do a lot of driving on dusty roads, you should change your oil soon than that recommended by the manufacturer.

I think Toyota know what the average driving is when they recommend 7500 miles between oil change.

Guess why the dealers want you to change oil more often than that recommended by the Toyota!
  • 3peasinapod3peasinapod Member Posts: 26
    Just put a down payment on a Tundra 4x2 Limited
    in CA. Finally found a dealer who would deal!
    1500.00 over invoice. Now that's a great deal for SO. CA.Options are:ca,ej,ab,la,bl,and cf.Will see if the deal goes through in a few days.If you live in CA. the dealers here will not deal. They want sticker or 2 to 5000.00 over sticker.Wish me luck!
  • charliewesleycharliewesley Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone seen a limited with cloth captains chairs? I have not seen this mentioned on this site. Anyone in the Phoenix area have any luck with the dealer negotiation games?
    thanks for the help, great site!!!
  • kuz1kuz1 Member Posts: 10
    This truck rocks! I just got my Ltd. TRD saturday and love it. I was reading the posts since it was T150 and laughed myself to bed every night. I order Sunfire red tan inter. and when I first saw it I didn't care for it. When I went back to pick it up after 2wks it looked a hell of lot better after they cleaned it up after the truck ride from Baltimore! Almost got my first 100miles on her and I can't wait to cut them ponys lose under the hood! I already have to races set up from work. Seems like the guys who have one of the "big 3" like to see if there is something better then theres out there. It took me 1/2 hour to get all the drool off my truck after the left. For a union shop they all fell in love with it. The posts so far have been right on about things I should be aware of! The clock and the slight blind spot on the drivers side are not any biggie! If I can fit 6 people in my old T100 that I traded in I should be able to fit 5 in this truck no problem! The over the bed liner was the choice for me because this baby is a work truck! This week I'll have that bed filled with a load of gravel and sand and the liner protects the top of the bed from scratches! The old 96 SR5 T100 was able to load .95 ton of gravel or sand. I'll let you all know how the Tundra hold up!
    P.S. No shake in my truck!!!!
    The ONLY Limited I've seen in my area was white. It had CLOTH seats. Yesterday, I was sure the seats were the captain's chairs....but the more I've thought about it(actually my wife corrected me) they were the bench seats. I was under stress at the time of viewing...I was waiting for my truck to arrive! The closest dealer to my home has 8 Tundras on his lot now...no Limiteds(this dealer doesn't deal on price). Tundras are scarce at the next closest two dealer's lots...no Limiteds.
  • tuck4tuck4 Member Posts: 25
    In regards to the oil change. I was told by my dealer to not change the oil for at least the first 3000 miles because of some additives Toyota puts in for a new engine.
    Did anybody else hear of this?

Tuck
  • rotorrayrotorray Member Posts: 42
    JRAY38:
    Run, run, run from that $32,042 price. If you can' do better than that, wait. They'll want to sell it, not display it, and the'll only sell to a fool at that price. Keep searching and you'll be $$$ ahead.

Re: Michelins, the ONLY way to go. Best tire around. I've had alignment or balance problems on almost every vehicle I've purchased. Have it checked prior to accepting the vehicle and if they're out have them brought up to specs before you sign on the dotted line. They only take a few minutes to check and you can be working on the paperwork while they do it. Make sure it's the end of the month (and schedule your purchase on a rainy day). Toyo dealers famous for lack of customer service, per CR, and my experience. You have to dog them to get them to react. Too bad such a reliable vehicle from such low rated dealers, but it's what you have to put up with. Be persistent when problem come up and you'll be a lot happier. Had the same experience at a Jeep/Ford dealer with my Grand Cherokee. Never again a Chrysler product!!! I've checked all the posts on several sites and Toyota seems to take the high mark, if even by a small margin.

Re: oil change frequencies, use 3,000 miles as the benchmark, and do the filter at the same time. Cheapest insurance available. Your engine costs $8K. Isn't a $20 or so oil change worth it to keep it running longer?? Switch to synthetics at 5,000 and enjoy the ride from then on. Synthetics are "heavy duty" and when you consider the higher engine temps nowadays they fight thermal breakdown when the going gets tough. My .02 worth, and thanks to everyone for your help with my decision making.
  • david6david6 Member Posts: 75
    cwirth - how secure is that Pace-Edwards cover? If the aluminum slats are connected with vinyl, couldn't this be cut open?
    Also, I wanted to use my stake pockets, but liked the idea of the roll-top . . . am I out of luck, or is there any chance that something could be adjusted so that I have access to the stake pockets? Does anyone else manufacture a roll-top that would allow this?
    Thanks for any help! Your previous posts were very helpful.
    david6:

I feel that the top is very secure. It's kind of hard to describe but the slats are similar to corregated cardboard in construction. The only way I know that someone could break into it would be to take a hammer and a crowbar and bang the devil out of it. You really need to see one to know what I am talking about. As far as the stake pockets are concerned, you have the rear pockets available but you are going to lose the front. The cannister that the top rolls into covers half of it then the plastic top that covers the cannister covers about another 3/4" only leaving about 1/2".

Yes there is another manufacturer. It is called Roll-N-Lock. Some say that they are a little better quality. They are more expensive and when I called them after I bought my Tundra in June they did not have a top for the truck yet and did not know when it would be. The cost of the Pace-Edwards is $600 the Roll-N-Lock is $900. This cover also has and option to have the top retracted by power. You have a dash mounted switch and a key fob, similar to keyless entry. Just press a button and the top retracts. I think that adds another $150.
  • huskermarkhuskermark Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone bought a Tundra with the Tonneau option? I am thinking that a soft cover will make a lot of noise while driving freeways and it could be susceptible to a knife blade.

I would really appreciate any inputs!
    My friend says to buy a after market hard cover because of the locking mechanism.
    I also have a 92 Ford Ranger along with my Tundra. I had a soft tonneau cover installed when I purchased the Ford 7 years ago. It was nice when new and not expensive, about $200. But one thing for sure, if you take the cover off in the late fall or winter you will have to wait until spring or summer to put it back on. The vinyl needs heat to be able to stretch. However, I know that Extang, the cover I bought, has changed the design to have a 'summer' and 'winter' setting for the snaps. All they did was to offset the snap on the rails from center. What this does is to allow more slack in the vinyl for the colder months and less slack for summer. I checked them out when I bought the Tundra but decided to get the roll top since it was more secure (has a lock) and it rolled up when I needed the bed.

If you have the soft cover and unsnap (or unhook as some others do) just a portion of the cover leaving a portion of the bed covered it will flap in the wind.
    This is not a criticism. I just want to know why several of you guys are getting these roll top covers or tonneau covers for your trucks instead of a truck cap or hard lid? I have always wondered what the attraction is but never had the forum to ask. Let the comments fly, please.
    I cannot speak for all, but my reason for the roll top cover is the fact that my profession is network and computer installation. I pickup computers and monitors for clients then setup and install them. The monitors are taller than the bed rails (the Tundra's rails are rather low). Sometimes I do not know when the computers will be ready for pickup from my local supplier. So when he calls I can go right over and get them. All I have to do is unlock the cover and roll it back into the cannister. With a fiberglass cover I will either have to remove it, which I hear is a job for one man to do, or let it open like a hatchback, which I do not want.

If I am only getting computers without montiors, they fit below the rails and I can lock them up securely, thanks to the roll cover and the locking tailgate.

Sometimes I also get mulch in bulk form for my home landscaping, so I do not want a cap, again I hear it is hard to get off by yourself.
  • pert1pert1 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone have a used toyota tundra forsale?
  • pert1pert1 Member Posts: 2
    If you do have a uesd tundra please email me asap.
    That would be appreciated.
    That New York sales tax is a KILLER! We pay 3% on new cars in North Carolina. Ouch!!!!!
  • mark116mark116 Member Posts: 8
    Sewell Toyota, Odessa Texas, made a deal at invoice +5%, which worked out to $24970 for an Access Limited. Saved almost $2000 off MSRP.
  • rwellbaum2rwellbaum2 Member Posts: 1,006
    Was that a 4x2? I paid 27100 for a 4x4 sr5 access cab. Only options were the wheels, capt chairs, conv package, fog lights and cold weather pkg. I think the same truck could probably be bought for @26,000 if you shopped hard for it. The only plus is I'm an Oregon resident (no sales tax, yeah!)
  • mark116mark116 Member Posts: 8
    That was for a 4x2, Access cab, Limited trim, options were mats, heavy duty pkg, receiver hitch, ABS, bench seats. No 'extra mile' or 'protection' package, thank you. The Dallas area dealers are trying to get (and getting) MSRP +$1000. This was the first Tundra they sold below MSRP. Had to preference it. And, we pay 6.5% sales tax on vehicles, about $75 to license them.
  • powercatpowercat Member Posts: 96
    We pay 6.65% sales tax here in Hutchinson, Kansas and on top of that have to pay about $600-$700 for stupid property tax just to get a tag!
  • powercatpowercat Member Posts: 96
    Check out the October Issue of Petersons 4 Wheel and Off-Road, page 155. Bushwacker has an add for fender flares and a picture of a Tundra with same. I just love this internet stuff!
    www.bushwacker.com
    Tim
  • jcm1jcm1 Member Posts: 48
    Back to the covers...yes I have a toyota tonneau cover...this is my first truck so I don't have much to compare it to. I like the look of it. It opens up pretty easy with the special tool it came with (no snaps) It does not make any noise that I can hear. It will roll up and can be secured with straps at the back of the bed. I don't like the way the caps look or the price. The hard top sounds nice to but $$ ..If someone decides to take a knife to it...well I guess I'll need another one......
  • neusslneussl Member Posts: 28
    Here in Alabama we pay approximately 3% sales tax on a new vehicle (varies slightly by the county you live in) but the 3% is only applied on the trading difference. If Your new Tundra is 30K and you're allowed 20K trade in on your 4-Runner then you pay sales tax on only the 10K (about $300). Also we have the lowest property tax in all 50 states, a 100K house may ony be $250 to $400 per year. By the way, the first tank full on my V-8 Tundra, 4X4, was 17.95MPG, ON 87 OCTANE.
  • mbutvidasmbutvidas Member Posts: 8
    My wife told me her Tundra was making strange noises in the front wheel area (280 miles/1 wk old). I drove it and when you put the brakes on it sounds like the pads are screeching. Also the oil pressure gauge reads almost 0 at idle, the owners manual shows this is normal. Any comments.
  • mhill5mhill5 Member Posts: 37
    If the brakes are "screeching", something is definitely wrong. You better get it to the dealer ASAP, but the noise will probably stop when the dealer drives it!

As far as the oil pressure at idle, I have never paid any attention to mine at idle. But I will this afternoon when I get off work.
  • eostereoster Member Posts: 54
    I have noticed that mine was reading very low at idle. It bothers me, but I suspect that it is a function of trying to improve fuel economy and oil life. Forcing big amounts of oil through a bypass at higher rpm dosen't do anything any good.

I have a pair of 12-71TI Detroit diesels on my boat. The rule is 1 psi for every 100 rpm. Seems like too little to me especially considering the horsepower, but they have been fine for 12 years.
  • t100toddt100todd Member Posts: 16
    FORGET ABOUT IT!!! My T-100 did this right after I purchased it and I immediately took it to the dealer! They checked the OIL, ENGINE and everything was OK! They then called Toyota and they claimed that this was NORMAL! I never had a problem but the gauge reading was always in the back of my mind.

Take it to your dealer for YOUR piece of mind!

Todd~~~
  • eusasceusasc Member Posts: 91
    My 4-Runner did the same thing. Put almost 90K miles on it with no problems. I haven't paid much attention to my Tundra's pressure to see what it's doing.
  • 3peasinapod3peasinapod Member Posts: 26
    Does any one know if the Tundra v-8 can pull a 5th wheel that weighs approx 6000 lbs safely without straining the engine or trans?

Also, anybody find a bug shield for the Tundra yet?

Thanks,
    Leon
  • kirbytkirbyt Member Posts: 39
    3peasinapod
    Check out the other forum Tundra II about number 886? I beleive that the Lund product fits just fine. I'm not a Tundra owner yet but that's what everyone has come up with at this point.

Truckless still
  • mbutvidasmbutvidas Member Posts: 8
    Three mechanics drove the truck and heard the noise but could not pin point it. They removed the wheels and checked the brakes but could not find anything wrong. The truck was test driven again and the noise was gone. They are not sure what happened but they guess some foreign object
    was hung somewhere in the system and dislodged
    during the inspection, who knows???.

They said not to worry about the oil pressure. My neighbors 4 runner has zilch pressure at idle
  • mhill5mhill5 Member Posts: 37
    Since the oil pressure gauge reads like the gas gauge...zero (empty), 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and (full), my results will be communicated this way. When the engine is cold, the idle oil pressure on my V8 Tundra shows 3/4, but after the engine is warm, the idle pressure indicates 1/4 or a little higher.

As for the bug shield, someone earlier in this forum said The Detail Shop has one to fit the Tundra (model# 18083). www.detailshop.com

The fifth wheel question: I did see a Tundra on Interstate 26 here in S.C. a few weeks ago pulling a camper via 5th wheel. Can't tell you if it was struggling or not, but it appeared to be doing quite fine. If my recollection is correct, I think the Tundra brochure I got from the dealer shows an Access Limited pulling a 5th wheel.
  • sleveneslevene Member Posts: 2
    Are seat heaters available on the Tundra? I see no mention of them.
  • dave146dave146 Member Posts: 3
    I awaited the new Tundra eagerly. I drive a 1995 GMC Sierra and was ready to move up into a comfortable full sized truck.

However, the Tundra's lack of configurations is disappointing (namely no extended cab long bed option).

I am a real estate investor and use my truck to haul appliances, lumber etc. and need a true full sized truck.

Toyota's intention is not to steal business from GMC/Ford/Chevy full sized, it would appear. Rather, Toyota is trying to grab customers who might ordinarily buy a car or who want to move up in size from a small truck.

Either Car & Driver or Road & Track had an article recently showing that the Tundra is really closer in size to a Dodge Durango than a full sized fleet sided Chevy/GMC/Ford/Dodge. THey also stated that it's bed dimensions are almost identical to the T100. If Toyota wanted to be taken seriously, they had to make this truck larger. I'm sorry, but it's the truth.

Has anyone heard if Toyota will offer a long bed with the extended cab in the future?

With a bed liner installed is there still 48" between the wheel wells to lay a piece of plywood down flat? (The liner cuts into bed width).

How is the comfort level of this truck in the back seat? (extended cab).

Thanks and I have really enjoyed reading comments. A few of the domestic owners should wise up and realize that Toyota is getting very close to doing it right.
    I am a builder/developer(about 25 homes per year) and own an Access Cab Tundra.

I have no idea if Toyota plans to offer an extended bed with the Access Cab in the future. Personally, I wouldn't want one. They look too wierd for my tastes.

I have the Pendaliner over-the-rail bedliner. There is 48.75" between the wheel wells. I have had no trouble hauling plywood or other materials.

The Tundra's backseat is NOT comfortable(I don't care because I use it for "stuff" not adults). If you need a comfortable backseat, buy a Silverado or some type of crew cab truck....IF you can live with the reliabilty problems that plague the domestics.

I am totally happy with my Tundra and would not trade it for any other 1/2 ton on the market. I consider it a "serious" truck. Just my thoughts.
  • eostereoster Member Posts: 54
    When I met with the Toyota Rep I asked about future plans. Apparently according to him they are working on long wheelbase versions with long bed. They are also suppose to be working on a crew cab as well. I'll believe it when I see it.
  • garlicfoggarlicfog Member Posts: 4
    Just a thought about the Toyota Tundra, I was ready to buy the T-100 when I was told of the new T-100 so I waited, in the meantime I learned Nissan was finally going to offer the Compact Crew Cab in America as they have offered around the world since they used the name Datsun, so I decided to check with Toyota to see if they had a Crew Cab and sure enough they did, but the suits who make the marketing decisions decided to just build a bigger T-100 with 2 full size doors and 2 half doors, thus the four door Tundra. Well you can freeze the Tundra, I've gone to the Frontier Crew Cab.
This discussion has been closed.