Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda3 Hatchback

1474849505153»

Comments

• qddaveqddave Member Posts: 164
    hey gordonwd! where are you in MI? I'm in GR. I have a '06 sport 5-door in copper red and I love it. funny thing, my wife has an '08 CWP 5 coming. should be here in january. I've never been a believer of getting a new car in the winter either, but I'm from northern ontario. this michigan winter stuff is child's play. enjoy your new 3!
  • gordonwdgordonwd Member Posts: 337
    We ordered a GT with the moonroof/BOSE package, which is exactly how the dealership orders all their GTs, so it's really not a "custom order" -- just reserving the first one in Copper Red that they get. I get a Ford "supplier discount", so the price is set for me no matter what. It's worth about $2K.

The price might go up slightly on these mid-'08 models too, since the GT now has a power seat and there are a few other upgrades. The value of the dollar vs. yen might also affect the new price.

ahightower: I'm in the Detroit area, and the winter issue is more about driving a nice new car in the salt and slop than being able to get thru it. My own car is a BMW 325i, and we've had so little snow since I got it in '04 that I've easily made it thru three winters on the stock all-season tires. I finally got a set of full winter tires this year, so am hoping for more snow ;) . The most fun I had in the winter was with my Audi A4 Quattro AWD.

The Mazda3 will be my wife's car, and I expect it will do OK for the limited winter driving that she does.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,355
    My own car is a BMW 325i, and we've had so little snow since I got it in '04 that I've easily made it thru three winters on the stock all-season tires. I finally got a set of full winter tires this year, so am hoping for more snow

I've found that once you are truly prepared for winter weather you don't get any; we haven't had any significant winter weather in KY since I bought winter tires for the Wrangler and my wife picked up the X3... :P

BTW, I love Copper Red; the dealer that sold me my Mazdaspeed had a beautiful CR RX-8- but the back seat was too cramped for my 5'6" 13 year old son :(

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• groovypippingroovypippin Member Posts: 264
    February 4, 2008

Mazda announces mid-year enhancements to Mazda3

Richmond Hill, Ontario - Mazda has announced mid-year enhancements to its Mazda3 line-up, including a new entry-level Mazda3 Sport GX model for the 2008 model year.

Unique to Canada in the North American market, the new 2008.5 Mazda3 Sport GX uses the same 148-horsepower, 2.0-litre engine found in the current Mazda3 GX and GS sedans. The new trim line includes 15-inch steel wheels, body-coloured grille, GFX front and rear bumpers, fog lamps, anti-lock brakes, side and curtain airbags and CD stereo with four speakers. An available Comfort Package adds power locks and windows, power heated mirrors, keyless entry, illuminated entry, wheel-mounted audio controls, spoiler and 15-inch alloy wheels.

Air conditioning and an automatic transmission are also available as options.

The Mazda3 Sport GS now receives air conditioning, rear spoiler, cruise control and two additional speakers as standard equipment, while the Mazda3 Sport GT receives additional standard equipment, including Xenon headlamps; its Luxury Package now also adds a power driver's seat and Bose audio with Sirius satellite radio.

The Mazda3 sedan also receives additional equipment content, with the GX gaining two extra speakers and body-coloured mirrors, along with a Comfort Package similar to the Sport GX.

The GS sedan receives body-coloured grille and standard 16-inch alloy wheels, previously available as a GS Sport Package, and will have only a stand-alone sunroof as an option. Similar to the Sport GT, the Mazda3 sedan GT receives Xenon headlamps and additions to its Luxury Package.

Pricing for the models will be available at a later date.
  • autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    Pricing for the models will be available at a later date.

It will be interesting to see how Mazda deals with the recent rise of the Canadian dollar in its pricing. Several manufacturers are introducing New Canadian pricing to address the issue. Unfortunately, this is not across the board and is sometimes applied only to higher end models. As a consumer we should insist on having a clear explanation why Canadian prices do not match US prices considering our dollars are at par and the models are virtually identical.
  • rebel71rebel71 Member Posts: 87
    Hi All,

Could you tell me how the hatchback does in snow? Do you put snow tires on?
    Is the traction control helpful? I read it was pretty low to the ground 4.8in. Any one have problems w/ scaping, bottoming out? Thank you
  • gib11gib11 Member Posts: 47
    True the 3hatch is low, true it scrapes the bottom, but it works fine in snow (road, highway)
  • tomjones75tomjones75 Member Posts: 5
    the hatch is horrible in the snow with the factory 17" wheels and tires. Had to make several runs up my hill 2006/2007 snow season. for 2007/2008 I bought 16" steel wheels with blizzaks and it works great. No problems at all, I certainly recommend the 16" steel wheels with good snow tires
  • bellamusicabellamusica Member Posts: 21
    I found that my 06 hatchback handled very poorly in snow and ice with the stock 17" tires. I purchased a spare set of 16" rims and put on snow tires (Dunlop) and have had no problems. In real deep stuff the clearance may be an issue, but so far so good.
  • exit123exit123 Member Posts: 136
    Does anyone have any reliable info on the 2009 Mazda3?
    All I've heard is that the Mazdaspeed version will get a 400 hp twin turbo with a DSG and AWD.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    I heard the MS3 would have twin jets with afterburners.

Other than that, I hear the M3 will have a very large smile.
    I heard that the afterburners would be optional... ;)

• exit123exit123 Member Posts: 136
    Well it sounds like just some minor updates for 2009, more sound insulation, interior upgrades, new colors, etc. Actually it appears the colors have changed already on the 2008.

I guess the big change will be in the 2010 model.
    I'd like to lend my voice to the chorus that is asking Mazda and other car manufacturers to give us less ... that is, less weight. I am hoping that Mazda copies its success with the Mazda2 and lowers the weight of its new Mazda3.
    "The Mazda2 is also a marvel of lightweight technology, weighing only 2,103 lbs. Mazda told us that its engineers managed to shave about 220 pounds off the former Mazda2, yet the body is stiffer, NVH is down, and safety is improved."
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    It's Tuesday so that means it's Mazda chat time again! Stop in tonight and meet and greet some of your fellow CarSpace members. We'll talk anything and everything Mazda, automotive, and just plain have a good time.

The Mazda Club Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule
    "The Mazda2 is also a marvel of lightweight technology, weighing only 2,103 lbs. Mazda told us that its engineers managed to shave about 220 pounds off the former Mazda2, yet the body is stiffer, NVH is down, and safety is improved."

By the way, the Mazda2 is receiving rave reviews from Autoworld, the British weekly. In part it is due to its low weight, handling and fuel efficiency. The Mazda3, on the other hand, is not positively reviewed.
    "In the spring of 2009, the next-generation Mazda3 will debut as a 2010 model. Mazda will re-engineer the car's existing C1 platform underpinnings. The engine family will remain the same, but upgrades in power and fuel economy are planned. Most of the changes address consumer concerns over noise, vibration and harshness without removing the dynamic driving experience. The design will feel more integrated, especially with optional sport appearance packages". From Mazda expects to tinker with a steady lineup by Mark Rechtin, Automotive News.

The new look of Mazda3 is from Laurens van den Acker, Mazda's new design chief.
  • ecofunecofun Member Posts: 23
    Hate to change the subject, but I wanted to find out if a 56 cm road bike at least with the front tire off will fit into my 5 door hatch with seats down. Anyone have first hand experience?
  • raychuang00raychuang00 Member Posts: 541
    I really hope that when Mazda does update the Mazda3, they will not only offer models with more fuel-efficient engines and possibly offering a 50-state legal Duratoq turbodiesel in the 1.8-1.9 liter size with a 5AT or 6AT transmission for the USA market. The current Mazda3 is a very nice driver's car but it's let down by the rather thirsty 2.3-liter I-4 engine on the top-end models.
    If they can find another 50 or so BHP in the MZR turbo and keep the average fuel economy above 22 mpg or so I'm in.

offering a 50-state legal Duratoq turbodiesel in the 1.8-1.9 liter size with a 5AT or 6AT transmission for the USA market

Agreed, turbodiesels should be part of Mazda's North American strategy. The risk in this strategy seems to be the novelty of diesels in the NA car market.

A five speed automatic transmission sounds like it's becoming the bar separating the higher end compacts from the lower end ones. A model with a six speed automatic would leap to the top of the pack.
    We just got our Mazda3 last weekend and are hoping that we can get our comfort bikes (one at a time of course) into the back. I am also pretty sure that my road bike (56cm) will fit in there, but there's no doubt that the front wheel has to come off.

Unfortunately, the weather has been so lousy that my bike is still on the work stand in the basement and I'll be gone for the next couple of weeks. But I'll try to remember to post back here when I have the results.
    We picked up our 2008.5 GT last weekend, in the dazzling Copper Red color (a 2008.5 change, along with a power seat and a few other goodies). This is mainly my wife's car, but I have to admit that I am very impressed with all of the features that they have packed into this vehicle. It seems to have most of what my BMW 325i has, at less than 2/3 the cost! Granted, it's no BMW, but then what else is?

I haven't had much chance to drive it myself since I'm still trying to pry it away from my wife, but it certainly looks like we made a good choice!
  • sevaseva Member Posts: 5
    I always put my road bike with back seats down without taking off the front
    wheel.
    Here are 2 differences:
    1. My bike is 49 cm -- Lemond Reno 2005
    2. My car is Mazda Protege 5 Wagon. but I suspect, Mazda 3 is a little bit longer.
  • marscatmarscat Member Posts: 7
    Driving in a city full of potholes, I regret having my low profile touring tires. This might not be an issue for others, though.
    Driving in a city full of potholes, I regret having my low profile touring tires.

I was thinking of this as I walked by a stunning VW Golf GT with what looked like 40's. The car may be superb and the tires may provide great control but, oh, the pain when hitting one of those cracks/crevices/canyons in the road after the ravages of winter. The nature of our roads is a limitation on automobile design/set-up; sports (or, sporty) cars need great roads (or, better still, race tracks).
  • vrodriguezvrodriguez Member Posts: 9
    Does anyone knows where I could find ALL of the engine compartment/bay hoses diameter for my 04 MZ3 H/B, 2/3L automatic (i.e. radiator, fuel lines, vacum, etc.) ?
    Will like to replace them all with aftermarket ones.

Thanks!
    According to Edmunds Inside Line, the latest issue of CR has the VW Rabbit beating out the Mazda3 hatchback!
  • percussionistpercussionist Member Posts: 204
    I had a Rabbit - and while I'm sure the times have changed since then, it was enough to make me not even consider another VeeDub. I drove my friend's Passat (after spending 15 minutes figuring out where all the controls are) and really liked it - it's too bad he doesn't get to drive it more often due to all the shop time it requires.

But just out of curiosity, in what areas does CR claim the Rabbit is better?
    The Volkswagen Rabbit got top marks from the notoriously picky Consumer Reports, which praised the hatchback's "agile handling" and "versatile, well-finished interior."
    Here's the link to the article in Edmunds: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=126106
  • shikemshikem Member Posts: 7
    My 56 cm bike fits easily without taking off the front wheel.
    Takes out the cargo cover and fold down the seats.
    Put the bike in back wheel 1st.
    Turn the handle bars so the front wheel is vertical and there you have it.
  • peddler3peddler3 Member Posts: 10
    I'm in the market for a new car and I've been looking at the Mazda 3 hatch, manual trans. What's up with the key removal button? That is really irritating. Is there anyway around this thing? I hope the 2010 doesnt have it.

Also, is there any aftermarket replacement for the cargo cover that is smaller than the stock and easier to stow away than the big plastic monster that comes stock?

Thanks
  • joem5joem5 Member Posts: 201
    Where can I get a black rubber or plastic dead pedal? I 'll have a hole in the cheap carpeting soon.
    ty
    The Mazdaspeed3 has a stainless one but it would cost about $130 for all the parts to install it in your Mazda3.
  • stringcattstringcatt Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone tried one of the fuel savers chip with an positive results? Also, how can it be determined if my '08 hatch has traction/stability control? I've misplaced the window sticker.
    4&5 dr 2.3L Touring and GT have TCS/DSC.
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    Ditto to what maltb said in the last post- it's standard on Touring and Grand Touring trim levels of all Mazda3 s models. Unless your 5-door is the base 'Sport', it is equipped with Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) and Traction Control System (TCS).

Every reputable source that I know of has the same thing to say about fuel saving devices including chips- they simply don't work and often do more damage than anything. The greatest risk in your case would be voiding the warranty on your '08 model.

Modifying driving habits, where and when safe and reasonable, is the most effective way to increase your fuel economy. I made some fairly simple changes in how I drive- shifting a bit sooner and accelerating more gradually when possible, using cruise control when driving on the highway, etc. have significantly improved my fuel economy. My overall average average fuel economy was barely 25mpg (24.8, to be exact) before I made these changes. I am now seeing at least 27mpg overall and 29-30mpg cruising at 75mph on the interstate.

If you have an automatic transmission, there isn't as much potential as in a manual because most automatics already operate as efficiently as possible. Minimizing hard acceleration and avoiding making the transmission downshift are about it. If you're are an 80+mph highway driver like me, you may be surprised at the fuel economy benefit from reducing speed by 5-10 miles per hour.
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
  • ylzylz Member Posts: 45
    Hello all. Would someone who owns a 2008 Mazda 3 WITH Nav, please comment on this. It is an accurate navigation system? It is tedious to use with that controller next to the shifter? I know it may not be worth the price but I like the clean look of a nav system in a car but I need some feedback on THIS particular nav. Please help. Thanks.
  • joem5joem5 Member Posts: 201
    I'm dumping them.
    Tire Rack reccomends Michelin Exalto's 205 55 17 v rated ..My car has 205 50 17 V rated.
    Whats the diff a higher profile ,or they won't fit? :confuse:
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,046
    That's weird.... maybe the Exaltos don't come in that size...

I'd stick with 205/50-17... There are a lot of choices in that size... Stock size for the BMW 330i from '03-'05...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    Wouldn't the 55-series tires increase the overall circumference of the wheel/tire and cause the speedometer reading to be off a bit?

Depending on how discerning of an eye you have, the 55's might be slightly noticeable in overall look....I'd definitely stick with the 50-series since that's what it came from the factory wearing...
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,046
    It's actually a pretty big difference... The 205/55-17 are about 3.2% bigger.. (diameter/circumference)...

I'd stick to the stock size...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• mazdazoommazdazoom Member Posts: 43
    I would stick with the 50, I am running 215/50/17 on my mazda 3 hatchback, I bought the Cooper CS4 Touring tire. Awesome, awesome tire. The wider footprint gives it more of an aggresive stance and it helps with the handling as well.
  • mazda4etcmazda4etc Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought a 2008 Mazda3 hatchback with an automatic. I love it, but after a few months its dawned on me that one thing that I don't like is the light-weight, almost feather feel of the gas pedal/throttle. I have to work at sensing just how much I'm stepping into the gas, and I prefer to have a heftier feel to the pedal. I've read about the electronic throttle and its quirks relative to having a throttle wire, but I was wondering if there was a potentially simple way of getting the gas pedal adjusted so that more pressure was required to depress it. Even as I'm writing this I just know that there's likely no way this is something that the dealer would mess with even if I asked, but thought that maybe someone would have an idea.
    I have to work at sensing just how much I'm stepping into the gas, and I prefer to have a heftier feel to the pedal.
    Sounds like the gearing to which you have to get used. My Mazda Protege5 is similarly "light". Comes in handy for passing.
This discussion has been closed.