Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda3

Comments

• bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    The September issue of Car magazine describes the 3 sedan as a "fastback four-door". Does this mean it is a hatch back??
  • dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    Fastback often refers to a body style that is a compromise b/w sedan and HB. Notice from the pics the sedan's trunk looks more like a HB's rather than a "proper" sedan.

I think we can classify as coupe or fastback or hatchback these cars:

MX-3
    90s Integras 2DR

Dinu
  • drumm01drumm01 Member Posts: 97
    I am curious, do you think we will see a sporty version of the M3 Sedan similar to the Mazdaspeed Protege?

I ask because I notice that the sedan looks quite elegant but not necessarily very sporty.
  • fdannafdanna Member Posts: 263
    Two things that I'd bet my next paycheck on that will be scrapped for the North American version: 1) headlamp washers
    2) GPS navigation (from the top picture).

On the Mazda6 they changed the rear tail lamps and dropped the turn signal from the front fender in addition to the headlamp washers.
    I hope you are wrong about them dropping the navigation system buttt, i think you might be right!!

Oh well....
  • creakid1creakid1 Member Posts: 2,032
    I think all U.S. spec cars did the same. I've noticed only that Saab 9000 introduced in '86 kept it for us.
    Actually.... Saabs, Volvos, BMWs, some Subarus, Some Mitsubishis, VW, and some others all keep the fender turn signal in the north american conversion. While this is not a legal requirement (as it is in most of the rest of the world) it's not prohibited (obviously).

The only thing making me think they'd drop the navigation system is that for this class of car, it's a really pricey option. I'd love it myself, but my gut says most Americans in this car class would balk at the cost. In an obnoxious SUV they'd spring for it :-)

The only options stated on the Mazda website thus far, are 17 inch wheels and choice of 2.0 or 2.3 litre engine.

Not sure if you are aware of this, or care, but typing in www.mazda3.com will bring you to MazdaUSA preview of the Mazda3. All pics are of the Euro Model however.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,944
    dumping the headlight washers is most likely the case because its something most folks don't care about / wouldn't even look for. HOWEVER, I would not be the least bit surprised to see a navigation option. This is becoming such a "necessity" for many buyers. Does any other econo-car offer it? I never bothered to look into that.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• wongpreswongpres Member Posts: 422
    drumm01:

It's way too early to tell about a potential Mazdaspeed 3, and even if they make one, it's at least 2 years away from reaching dealers.

There are only 2 confirmed Mazdaspeed programs right now:

- Mazdaspeed Miata. Arriving in N. America in spring '04
    - Mazdaspeed 6 Sport (hatch). An '05 production model for Europe (though I suspect Japan will get it too)

NAV, and HID's:

Mazda usually packages the headlight washers with HID's (US-spec RX-8 being an exception). HID's will be available as options in Europe and Japan. However, the Canadian-spec Mazda3 won't have HID available (not in the first year anyways). For the USA, I don't know yet.

Similarily, NAV is definitely an option for Europe & Japan, and not initially available for Canada. Again, don't know for USA.

My personal opinion is that USA-spec Mazda3 NAV and HID availability will be dependant on their availability on the '04 Mazda6. I just don't see Mazda putting it on the 3 and not having it on the 6. So if these two options become available on the '04 Mazda6, then I'd say chances are more than 50% you'll get it on the Mazda3 as well.
  • groovypippingroovypippin Member Posts: 264
    Great work on the sedan pictures. I think the car looks fantastic. It's actually going to be difficult for me to choose between the sedan and the sport.

I will bet important parts of my anatomy that the Mazda3 will not be available with HID, headlight washers or nav in the US or Canada. The car will also not have the ten airbags that the Euro-spec car has. The small car segment in US - and to a lesser degree Canada - will not support he kind of price point that these features demand.

On a bright note, that little feder turn signal thingy should remain on the cars in Canada. think they look kinda neat!
    Back in '89 when I visited Vancouver, I noticed that many of them bothered to pay for the loaded Corolla LE while in the U.S people either get the cheaper Corolla DX or upgrade to the Camry. I think their roads are narrower so a wider Camry is too bulky. So Canadians should be willing to buy loaded small cars.
    US-spec Mazda3 has the following as available options:

- HID
    - NAV
    - tire-pressure monitoring (this one I'm not surprised, cause there's apparantly a US law saying something like 10% of a company's 04 models must have this system)

Where did I get this info? Go to MazdaUSA->Upcoming Vehicles->Mazda3. They've got a new Flash presentation.
    $25.000 CAD for a Mazda3 with a sunroof, 16/17" alloys, double tail pipes, spoiler, SAB+SAC, TC/SC, ABS w/EBFD, Brembo brakes w/4piston calipers and all that good stuff rather than $25.000 CAD for a Mazda6 with only ABS w/EBFD, 17" alloys and a rear spoiler...

I know I am in the minority - I prefer small cars b/c they're more fun to drive and FEEL faster than larger cars.

Unfortunately most people seem to think a larger cars = a better car in NA...

Dinu
  • pzevpzev Member Posts: 807
    The sedan is starting to look a little better. Problem is in the side picture it looks like it has 17" wheels. I want to see pictures of it sitting still with 15" or 16", and also in other colors and angles. Not too bad though, I'm impressed.

Got a few questions.

Are the interior door handles chrome or carbon-trim?

I thought the higher-end models would have carbon-trim center stacks. All these have regular black. Also a navigation system but only half of the steering wheel controls? What's going on?

Also the red cloth is in different places compared to the other two and also seems like a different quality. None of these have the manual controls either, they all seem to have auto-climate controls. I expect our interiors to look a bit different.

The surrounding plastic around the buttons look like a darker black unlike the MazdaUSA manual control pictures where it all looks the same. So which one do we get?

Those seats look like the Mazda6 seats, not good. I spent a good 5-7 minutes trying to get comfortable in them and finally gave up and went on the test drive. After about the first 3 minutes I was so uncomfortable that I wanted the test drive to end. No wonder the Protege impressed me so much, I was so uncomfortable in the Mazda6 that I didn't even care how it handled at that point. It took me about 20 seconds to find a good position and to get comfortable in the Protege ES.

What goes next to the cigarette lighter where that black circle is?

So Navigation and HID and tire-pressure monitor available? The tire-pressure monitor is a good thing, but the navigation and HID is no big deal to me, wouldn't want it. Hopefully thieves are smart enough to tell which Mazda3's have HID and which don't. And I hope that doesn't give Mazda an excuse to make the regular headlights below average.

And where's the optional Bose system or other upgrade stereo? So we get $2,000 Navigation systems, HID, side curtains, etc. but all of them get the same mediocre sound system? Come on Mazda..
    "Are the interior door handles chrome or carbon-trim?"

They are satin - like the Mazda6 satin fuel door accessory.

"I thought the higher-end models would have carbon-trim center stacks."

Actually the carbon is on all the interior pictures there. The carbon is NOT on the center-stack, but rather on the horizontal panel that includes the information display. Unfortunately, those pics are too low resolution to see clearly, but it's there.

"only half of the steering wheel controls?"

The missing buttons on one side of the steering wheel are for the cruise control. Vehicles equipped with cruise control will have buttons on both sides of the steering wheel (identical to Mazda6 & RX-8).

"None of these have the manual controls either"

MazdaUSA's new Mazda3 flash gallery has a large pic of the dial-type climate controls (you can also see the carbon trim here):

http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/mazda3/swf/images/gallery/mz3_gal- lery_big01.jpg

"Those seats look like the Mazda6 seats"

Front seats are more similar to the RX-8 seats than the Mazda6 - so try a RX-8 on for size!

"What goes next to the cigarette lighter where that black circle is?"

It's a warning light that will light up if you disable the passenger airbag. Just like on the Mazda6 and RX-8, this feature is euro-only, N. American-specs will not have this.

"And where's the optional Bose system or other upgrade stereo?"

No BOSE, but the higher trims get a 6-speaker system, so it's pretty good for this class of vehicle.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    Do I even DARE ask if Mazda North America will make SIRIUS Satellite Radio at least a dealer option in the USA?
  • pzevpzev Member Posts: 807
    Actually I would be more jealous of us getting side curtain airbags compared to a navigation system or HID. Of course Canada probably doesn't have SUV's at every street corner either, you guys are the lucky ones.

And thanks for the answers. I haven't sat in an RX-8 yet. In fact I haven't seen one yet either.
    Mazda3's front seat cushion has a pointy shape tapered to the middle so the sides are shorter. That's weak support for the longer thighs w/ missing side support, too. The Volvo version has a more supportive squarish longer cushion.

No HID or Navigation - no big deal. But no ESP? Even the Focus I had it(AdvanceTrak) for years in America.

I don't know, our 3 looks so cheap on the dash. Japan's Axela's much more elegant. I wonder how many pieces of dash parts do I need to buy to convert over?
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    European cars have them, they are their side marker lights as well. Where NA cars have red in front and amber on the rear fenders, not used for turn signals.

The seat cushions were the first thing I noticed in the photo, they have flat bolsters like the Protegé. Not much side support, but very easy to get comfortable on.

Maybe the reason more people buy Ford cars (and trucks) is because they equate higher service and parts costs with "imported" cars. They may also have bought Fords before and plan to get service at independently owned garages, which there are more of.

The Escape looks very much like a junior Explorer, where the Tribute looks rather bland and unimpressive, built to minimum standards. Ditto for Mazda's trucks, they got the short end of the stick. A used Ford F-150 is a better deal than either the Ranger or the B-3000.

My question: Will all of the Mazda3 Sport hatch models come with black trim only?

fowler3
    I find it so odd when folks complain about sound systems. It seems to me that it doesn't matter what manufacturers put in their cars, somebody wants to change it in the aftermarket.

Right now, in my wife's Pilot, there is a fairly decent sound system. 6 speakers and a subwoofer and maybe (i forget exactly) 200-240 watts. I hear nothing but complaints from other owners about it. Ok. Fair enough. Now I look at my S70. It has, by far, the best stock stereo setup I have ever heard or owned. It can go louder (cleanly, I might add) than I can possibly listen to (and I sometimes like it loud enough that my wife holds her ears and screams at me). Guess what? Yep, I'm always reading of owners trying to upgrade it.

Personally, I think manufacturers are wasting their money when they try to give buyers an expensive sound system. For those that don't care, the manufacturer could spend far less money on it. For those that do care, whatever the manufacturer spends will never be good enough for them. The best thing Subaru did with the STi was to not put in a stereo. Just my .02.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Wow, the seats of the 3 look very similar to the RX-8. If you look at the cloth seats of the rx-8 you will notice they are about the same of the 3.

Too bad the leather seats of the 3 won't come in two-tone. Maybe in a few years. OH Wongpres, thank you for clarification of the Mazdaspeed version of the 3.

I look forward to see what the 6 Mazdaspeed will look like now
    Hey, anybody has a picture or image of the Mazda6 Speed? Just wondering what it looks like
    fowler3:

"Will all of the Mazda3 Sport hatch models come with black trim only?"

Yes, either black leather or two-tone cloth (black/red or black/blue). At least in Canada anyways.

Mazdaspeed6:

It was introduced at the '02 Paris autoshow (albeit in concept car version). Edmunds has pictures and an article on it:

http://www.edmunds.com/news/autoshows/articles/75396/page014.html

The recent news is that Mazda is going to come out with a Mazdaspeed6 for the '05 model year for Europe. But this '05 model is NOT coming to N. America.
    Wow, that flash presentation was added in the last 24 hours. I checked yesterday and it wasn't there. I hate that little disclaimer at the bottom though:

"Some images are of the european or japanese specification. Somer features, such as headlight washers, auto a/c controls, center rear headrest, and other small details will not appear on US Spec vehicles."

It's exactly the "small details" that can make the car!

I looooove volume controls on the steering wheel though!

I guess I lost my paycheck! The navigation system is going to make it. You have to wonder what the price of this car is going to climb up to with all the goodies.
    They didn't want to tell me anything, except:

"The Mazda3 will be the replacement of the Protege and the M3 Sport of the P5. Expect to see changes to our website in late October. The car will/should be available at the beginning of next year. I haven't seen any pictures of the Canadian model. Sorry I don't know anything more (in regards to engines, etc)."

But she was really friendly :)

Dinu
    Thank you for the information on the Mazdaspeed 6. I was aware of the MPS concept but did not realized that would be the Mazdaspeed version of the 6.

I think I am leaning on the 3 at this point, but a lot of it will depend on what specs will it come with like Nav. system, leather, etc... ALso, so far my Protege is holding on strong:)
    Have a good day everyone
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    "You have to wonder what the price of this car is going to climb up to with all the goodies."

I'm with you on that! I'm starting to think that a 6s with the SAB/SAC option might be less expensive. Especially if rebates are still available on the 6.

If that's the case I think I might go with the 6s instead. I do like the 3 a lot though.

How long before we can see real prices/specs again? :)
    Mazda boss to run Ford's struggling Europe unit

You must be a registered user of www.autonews.com to access the article.

Bottom line is that Lewis Booth is heading to Europe to run Ford Europe and Hisakazu Imaki is taking over the helm at Mazda.

Not sure how would that affect our Mazda3 or future Mazda cars but I am thinking it's a good thing
    I actually wouldn't mind paying a decent price for a fully optioned 3 if it meets my desires. I like my car to have power seats and electronic goodies. I'll admit it, I'm spoiled. I want a car with all these extras now. If the car that I see in those pictures came here and I found one with leather, Nav, heated seats, power everything, a nice stickshift, superb handling, and enough ponies to get me to 60mph in about 6.5, I'd have no problem forking over... say $25K for it? Basically, I'm talking about a 3-series fighter. I'll be watching for this and the S/V40, so that should show what I'm looking for. Am I asking for too much?

I see that I can get a 6 nicely optioned for like $21K these days, but I'm not in love with the 6. Not enough to buy it. Its a good price, I'll give ya that, but it doesn't completely "do it" for me.

"You must be a registered user of www.autonews.com to access the article."

Or you can go here:

http://www.detnews.com/2003/autosinsider/0308/27/c01-255598.htm
  • chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    a fully loaded Protege is almost equal to a base MZ6i
    Well, I think I would definitely take a fully loaded 3 over a base 6i. If the loaded 3 (minus nav sys, HID's, and leather if available) is too close to that of a 6s with SAB/SAC I'll probably go with the 6. We're talking around $22,000 in that case.

I'm hoping the 3 isn't that expensive because I like all those goodies too. :)

The 5-door Focus SVT comes back into play at that price too. About $21,500 will get you all the standard SVT fare (SAB's ABS w/EBD, etc.) plus HID's, moonroof, audiophile package, and cold weather package.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    baggs32, you apparently won't be able to get a Mazda6 with SAB/SAC unless you also take the sport package AND a sunroof. That may push me to another car/brand, just as it did back when Mazda required one to buy a sunroof to get ABS. Sunroofs and leather are deal breakers for me. I do not want them on my vehicle, even if free...
    The key is refinement, comfort, ride. Did I mention comfort? In fact, it's so comfortable it rides softer than the Focus & the 6, & rolls more than the 6 w/ a less rug-rat like steering set up.

"Cabin comfort is a strong point with impressively low noise levels and a relaxing ride. But those wanting 6-style dynamic thrills may be disappointed - it's not as entertaining to drive as the current Focus."

Not as entertaining to drive as the current Focus in terms of less-sporty more-roll suspension setting or less communicative steering?

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/?previews/previews_story.php?id=3931- - 8

Total of 3 pages. Don't forget to click "next page" on the lower right.
    ESP AWD? Does that mean AWD power rather than braking to adjust the under & over steer like the future BMW? That means Volvo's getting it, too, & so might the future 3?

6-sp manual or DSG clutchless manual w/ smooth & instant shift just like the VW/Audi unit - cool!

& the sat-nav and live traffic information.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/?news/ae_news_story.php?id=39329
    So that dash center stack really is a thin sheet of panel stick on to the dash not unlike the BMW 1-series concept car.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/openpic.php?name=../picture_library/- - dir_22/car_portal_pic_11301.jpg
    http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/?news/ae_news_story.php?id=39365
    "It also borrows engines from the blue oval - 1.4, 1.6 and 2.0-litre petrol powerplants"

I can't see how they borrow the 2.0 - anyone???

The review is less than flattering - UK media usually trashes Japanese cars. It found the PRO not too exciting either but in NA where we don't have the Astra/Euro Focus, this is as good as it gets. Of course there might also be small changes in NA, like the addition of a front strut bar as in the P5, etc... I would also expect the bumpers to be a little larger as evidenced when comparing the Euro 323 to the current P5.

Dinu
    "you apparently won't be able to get a Mazda6 with SAB/SAC unless you also take the sport package AND a sunroof."

I heard a rumor about that too. Do we know if it's true yet? Last I checked the 2004 6 info has not been released yet.

I don't mind a moonroof or leather at all. However, I don't want the sport package. It's too cheesy looking from some angles.

Price would REALLY become an issue if the above option packages are confirmed. Leather seating and moonroofs are pricey, but for some reason they weren't on the P5. Maybe the 3 will carry that tradition over?

If the 6s does become too expensive and I had the choice of a well equipped 6i or a 3 with the 2.3 I4, I'd definitely go for the 3. I like the 6i 5-speed a lot (I did drive one or two) but I think the 3 is going to be much more entertaining with only a small difference in utility (trunk space, rear seating dimensions, etc.) when compared to the 6.

"That may push me to another car/brand, just as it did back when Mazda required one to buy a sunroof to get ABS."

Can't rule that 5-door SVT Focus out yet though. Who knows, if Mazda gets crazy enough with the options I may just have to throw all caution to the wind and spring for a new Mustang. ;)

I hear what you're saying though. One of the things that kept a Tribute out of our garage (bought an Escape instead) was the crazy option packaging. Ford let us have whatever we wanted right from the start.
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    The article states it's only offered with Ford engines. Is this true for the U.S. as well?

Damn.

Meade
    "It also borrows engines from the blue oval - 1.4, 1.6 and 2.0-litre petrol powerplants"

Oh God NO, please not that! Obviously, we're not getting the 1.4 or the 1.6 in the US, but if they mean the current 2.0 Zetec that ford is putting in the Focus, then FORGET IT. The 1.6 I had in my civic was much smoother and more efficient.

Oddly, the 2003+ Focus sold in MA, CA, and NY is now a 2.3 PZEV engine at 140hp (I think).

Believe me, if it's the Ford 2.0 zetec, you DON'T want it. I have it and can speak from experience.

American manufacturers make the worst 4 cylinder engines in the world (speaking anecdotally of course)... probably because there's not enough money in it.
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    whatever taht means *shrug*
    Duratec is a Ford designation for their engine line. It is the successor to the Zetec and is supposed to be superior in refinement and performance. We'll see.

Minor specs here: http://www.nise7ens.net/fordduratecengspec.htm
    plus, just like mazda does with the current duratecs they use, they will most likely change the internals to their own design.

Maybe Mazda Japan needs to hear from some of us over here -- is it possible that they think we Americans LIKE having the "down-home" influence in our Mazdas? Yeah, let Ford have the controlling interest -- but keep its mangy paws out from under our hoods!!!

Meade
  • groovypippingroovypippin Member Posts: 264
    I don't know how many times this has to repeated (both here and in the M6 threads), Mazda is corporately responsible for the development of 4 cylinder engines. The current family of MZR engines (1.8, 2.0 and 2.3L) were developed by Mazda and will be used in both Ford and presumably Volvo vehicles.

The 2.3L PZEV engine in the CA emissions Ford Focus is a derivative of the MZR - not the other way around.

The engines in the NA Mazda3 are MZR engines.

Is this engine derived from a Ford block? I actually do not know then answer to that. I'd like to know then answer to that, but my suspicion is that it is not.

I find it hard to believe that after all the kvetching and whining on the Mazda6 board about the Duratec block being used as the basis for the V6, that everyone would ahve totally overlooked the fact that the MZR family of four cylinder engines was also derived from a Ford block.
    ... that not everyone who visits here has read the posts on the Mazda6 discussion, and many don't have the time nor the interest (yet) to visit this discussion daily, so once in a while a seemingly bogus, redundant question will appear!

I was merely bringing up a concern over a linked test report in a recent post that said UK models have "Blue Oval" engines in them. If you are correct about North American models, I have nothing to worry about and I thank you for the information.

Let's keep the good-natured attitude flowing, O happy experts! Thanks!

Meade
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    The engines are all-new and developed by Mazda. They may have built upon the Duratec block (not sure of this myself), but they're all-new. The 2.3L is the same as the one currently offered in the Mazda6i. We don't get the diesel options offered in the rest of the world though. Our diesel is just too filthy.
    If the press refers to these engines as Duratech or Ford engines, say good-bye to sales. People don't bother looking at the details - they see something and take it for granted.

Dinu