Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda3

Comments

• alternatoralternator Member Posts: 629
    Still a word for word translation, but this looks a little more readable (or does it?):

That becomes from the Mazda 323 a little Alfa (Design), completely much Ford (basis)? the new Mazda3 is finished. AUTO PICTURE shows, how will look the 323 successors. And betrays, what he can do. 30.01.2003 - Mazdas success balance of the last months can be able to be seen: In the black the team from Hiroshima with the new Mazda6 met, and also the Mazda2 has that things to the success model. In October 2003 the third caper follows with the Mazda3. The successor 323 is the first car on the new C-platform (compact class)? the Ford focus and the second edition of the Volvo S40/V40 are not series ripe against it before end of 2004. Martin Leach knows exactly, what comes to him: "much driving dynamics for relatively little money? we will have ourselves to exert." The Mazda3 comes four weeks to the world premiere on the IAA at the same time as schraegheck and as sedan on the market. Follow a fuenftueriger high roof combination as if awake-replace for the Premacy and a not yet officially confirmed viersitziges Cabriolet, whose Dachmimik is to take loans with the Ford focus and with the Volvo C50. Conceivable also is a sporty Dreituerer, which already today a second career is forecast as low-priced basis model for the spreading haven? in connection with all-wheel drive and turbo-power. For the start there are three engines: 1,4-Liter-16V, gasoline, 80 HP? 1,6-Liter-16V, gasoline, 100 HP? 1,6-Liter-16V, Diesel, 110 HP. In the middle of 2004 starts then 140 HP strong 2,0-Liter-Benziner. Also two new gasoline direct A splashes possess firm one commitment on the play plan. All further details to the Mazda3 experience you in the new AUTO PICTURE, number 5/2003. Starting from Friday, 31 January 2003, at the kiosk, at gas stations and in the magazine trade.
  • groovypippingroovypippin Member Posts: 264
    Absolutely slay me! I love it.

"much driving dynamics for relatively little money? we will have ourselves to exert."

Sounds like an interview with Yoda.
  • dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    Yeah these are pretty hilarious.

Dinu
  • wongpreswongpres Member Posts: 422
    Two pics of the sedan (and photos this time, as opposed to pictures).

Again, groovy and maltb, can you confirm:

http://members.chello.nl/mel.rozeboom/overig/mazda3a.jpg

http://members.chello.nl/mel.rozeboom/overig/mazda3b.jpg

I noticed that these URL's are very slow, so if it doesn't work try again.
    I'm very impressed with your web searching skills. This looks like the car to me. Again, I have not seen rear end shots of the hatch and sedan, but I'm quite positive that this is accurate.
  • theparallaxtheparallax Member Posts: 361
    I'm torn. I like it, but I don't. I'm not getting the same feeling I got the first time I saw the 6. Looks like Mazda is adopting a Nissan style C-pillar. Bah.
  • theparallaxtheparallax Member Posts: 361
    Referring to this:
    http://www.autobild.de/projektor/projektor.php?artikel_id=3489&am- p;am- p;am- p;pos=1

How the hell does the hood open? Does the grille raise up w/ the hood or something?
    Yeah that's the car!

I like the front in that it's a Mazda6. The back looks like a G35 sedan with the lights (to me at least).

But I'm not thrilled by its design as I am with the 6's, yet they are VERY similar. Maybe I wish Mazda made the front a bit different. It resembles the 6 too much and looses the personality the current PRO has.

I'm torn.

Dinu
    I opened the links again and looked and stared for a bit more.

The side says Jetta for some reason.

The car seems a little too high off the ground. The current PRO has the height perfect!

The tires don't fill the wheel area like they should.

For a second the word "Corolla" came to mind when I look at its height. I hope it's just a stupid impression and not a styling disaster like Corollas.

And for some reason the words "Skoda Octavia" also some to mind when looking at the rear's picture - the Octavia is Skoda's version of the Jetta (maybe that's why we see similarities).

I need some time to get used to this pic. At the moment the sedan looks to me worse than the wagon; the wagon looks good. The 6 looks better.

Dinu
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    but that's probably because I'm too used to the RX-7 :-P
  • stretchsjestretchsje Member Posts: 700
    ...but the Corolla "just wants to have fun."

Me likes the Mazda3 a lot. A little tall, but so is the current one.
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    It does have a slight resemblence to the Jetta, but that's not bad, I've always liked the way Jettas looked. The C-pillar does look kinda Nissan-ish, but Nissan copied the dog-leg style C-pillar from BMW. Gimme a silver ES 5sp with the 160 hp 2.3L, black cloth interior, supportive seats, nice factory rims, and make it in Japan please, as far away from the Focus assembly as possible. I'll be happy.

Oh yeah, it appears that the grill does raise up with the hood. There are a lot of cars that are like this.
    http://www.autoonline.hr/topsecret/mazda3/3-detaljnije.html

What is the silver one at the top on the left side? I like that design WAY more than the blue pics posted by Wongpres.

I'll take what Todd said in #63, but lower it a bit and give it 16" tires. It looks like a 2003 Corolla the way it's raised.

The back is nice though.

Dinu
    That picture is a photoshopped version of the Mazda6 MPS concept car that debuted at the Birmimgham Auto Show.

It is not even remotely similar to the Mazda3 (yah, I know - too bad!).
  • qddaveqddave Member Posts: 164
    About the hood, look at the first pic that wongpres posted. You'll see that the hood does close along the top of the grill.

BTW, my girlfriend just said it looks like her car. She has an '02 Pro. She's on crack, I know.

Dave
    Noooooooooooooooo!

That car looks good! (drooling)

Dave: 02 PRO -vs the pic: 02 PRO
    Dinu
    The more I look at it, I like it. I'm not super crazy about the Altima c-pillar, but it looks nice. I wonder what the 225 hp version will look like?
    haven't heard word of that.
    I suppose you haven't heard of the 1000 HP version either?
    I am out of the loop!
    I read it in Motor Trend a couple of months ago. They said the next generation Focus performance model would be powered by a 225 hp turbocharged Mazda 4 cyl. Since the next Focus and next Protege will share platforms, I figured Mazda would have a version of that engine (their engine), for the Protege.
    But I'm not convinced that they would necesarily shadow Ford on HP. Mazda could have quite easily wrung more than 170 HP out of the current MAzdaSpeed Protege, but instead chose to try and find that perfect balance point instead.

My guess is that they will try and do the same again with any enhanced version of the Mazda3.
    The Mazda would be competitive with the new turbo Neon beast, would blow the doors off an SE-R, would maybe compete with the WRX, and give RSX owners quite a scare. I don't think there has ever been a Mazda engine in a Ford that wasn't also available in a Mazda.
    If they were making a turbo, why not just use the MPS 280hp engine?

Honestly, I agree with pippin- I think they'll stick to 170hp to keep a good balance. In a small car, that's a lot, and will still give the less torquey RSX a run for its money.
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    they kept the MPS Prote at 170 so the thing doesn't self destruct. With a new chassis, hopefully it has been designed with a Mazdaspeed version in mind.
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    than the hatch version. I thought the hatch has too many pointy angles converging on the C-pillar: the side point of the taillamps, the pointed quarter window, and point where the hatch top meets the C-pillar.

The front end leaves me cold: too bland, and they seem to have taken the hood sculpture of the current series too far. It stands out too much.

Noticed there are no backup lights. Obviously, this is the EU version.

One thing that I welcome in the design, the A-pillars seem to have been raised at the far sides of the windshield, similar to the way Mercedes-Benz does it. Look at the dark shadow on the right A-pillar. This will prevent windshield washer spray from coming in the side windows if they are open.

On current Pros I sometimes forget to close the window before hitting the washer lever. Fluid blows around the windshield and into the car.

The one thing I do like are the large outside mirrors!! About time we got something viewable.

The car as a whole lacks the character of the current Pro. It doesn't come across as playful. More like an econo-sedan or scaled down mid-size car.

What it really tells me is -- KEEP THE PRO you have.

fowler3
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    I'd buy a Mazda6 with MT before I would buy this Pro. ;)

fowler3
    if the Focus gets the Mazda 225 hp turbo engine, the Protege will too. I don't see why it wouldn't. The car could still keep a good balance with 225 hp. The current SVT Focus has 170 hp, the current Mazdaspeed Protege has 170 hp. I'd say 225 hp is a logical step up.
  • wongpreswongpres Member Posts: 422
    All the pics come from the Jan 31 issue of AutoBild, a German car magazine. Unfortunately it can't be bought in Canada, so I had to wait for the Europeans to post scans from it.

With all the comments about how the car looks, I think we have to remember that this is just a prototype. The pictures of the sedan don't have the side moulding on the doors, and as someone mentioned, no back-up lights (apparantly the inner-most lights from the picture is incorrect, they should be large white circles and are the back-up lights).

Also, I think it's pretty clear that this is the standard version. And considering it's the standard version, it's front air dam is actually more aggresive than the non-sport version of the Mazda6. If, as groovy mentioned before, there are things like a sport grille and P5-like fog lights, then the sport version has quite a bit of potential.

Having said all that, there is one major styling bit that I really don't like - the rear end. By moving the license plate holder to the bumper, the area between the taillights is very bland (it looks like a '00-02 Cavalier). My other complaint is that they put the rear reflector's too high in the bumper (they should be thinner and at the bottom of the bumper like in the Mazda6). But while the reflector thing is a minor detail that may not make it into production, the license plate holder will clearly be in the final design.

As for the autoshow debut for this car. The Autobild article says it'll be shown in IAA Frankfurt - that's in September! But even if it is I'm pretty sure there will be some sort of portotype at the Geneva show (early March).

The article also mentions an October debut in Germany, which confirms that production begins late 2nd to 3rd quarter. If the production date is true, I don't think it'll reach North America this calendar year.
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    It's slated to arrive here in early 2004, a little more than a year from now.

Meade

P.S. Ditto on the Cavalier similarities. I said that all along about the 6's rear-end too. It's the shape of the tail lights -- almost identical in shape and position to my wife's old 1995 Cav.
    I've always been impressed with the trunk volume of my generation-1 and -2 Proteges. From the appearance of this vehicle, apparently trunk room has taken a back seat (no pun intended) this time. There's virtually no space behind the rear wheels and there's pitiful little space for the trunk to open behind that rear windshield.

Strange, since the 6 (which apparently is becoming the design standard for the next generation of the line) has cavernous amounts of trunk space.

Meade
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    all the trunk space is hidden under that shallow opening? That's how the 6 does it...
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    looking at the 6 does not give the impression that the trunk is as large as it is.
    The 6 has a LOT more front-to-back space between the back seats and the rear of the car. Note the space from the rear of the rear wheel opening to the rear of the trunk.

Meade
  • carspy01carspy01 Member Posts: 137
    OK, I usually do not drop in here, but I thought you might like them:

Mazda 3, 4-dr sedan, blue, front:
    http://bilder.autobild.de/bilder/1/28890.jpg

Mazda 3, 4-dr sedan, blue, rear/side:
    http://bilder.autobild.de/bilder/1/28891.jpg

The other ones (of the hatch) were posted here before. However, for the sake of it:
    Mazda 3, 5-dr hatch, silver, front:
    http://bilder.autobild.de/bilder/1/28888.jpg

Mazda 3, 5-dr hatch, silver, rear/side:
    http://bilder.autobild.de/bilder/1/28889.jpg

The new article about it is:
    http://www.autobild.de/aktuell/neuheiten/artikel.php?artikel_id=3- 563&A_SESS=e854306e2052a2a29f8314441c64fe3e#

A few highlights:
    a) They talk about a possible clutchless manual transmission.
    b) A 3-door hatch.
    c) A 4-seater convertible.
    d) A tall-wagon type version as replacement for the Premacy.

A few highlights:
    a) They talk about a possible clutchless manual transmission.
    b) A 3-door hatch.
    c) A 4-seater convertible.
    d) A tall-wagon type version as replacement for the Premacy.

I think this may be good for the sales of the 3. The current Protege handles better than most two-doors for less money, but it doesn't have that image. Still, there's never been a coupe (or 3 door) Protege, and it seems weird to think of one. Flashy is not the Pro's style, and I think the different trims might make it so. The Protege is a practical, sleeper sports sedan. I liked it in its two trims, and fear the change.
    Please do not forget that the 323 (as well as the upcoming 3) was always/will always be available in different versions, even as a 3-door hatch. Just look over to the Asian and European markets, and you will find that it's true. Mazda North America decided however - after the namechange to Protege - that it should be a sedan only, with the later add-on of the Protege 5... Let's hope that this time Mazda NA will bring over more choices of another great product!
    http://bilder.autobild.de/bilder/1/28890.jpg

It appears that the Czech photo referred to by dinu01 back on Jan 31, 2003:

http://www.autorevue.cz/Text/Ar.asp?ARI=1676

was, all along, a correct photo of the 2003 Mazda3 sedan (as I suspected).
    The two cars are Mazda3s, yet the one from the Czech site seems to be a HB/wagon, while the other one is a sedan w/out a doubt.

Notice the small trunk on the sedan and maybe that's why it appears as a wagon to me. I still hold the Czech pic is a wagon.

Or could there be a sedan AND wagon/HB in dark blue? Nah, I doubt Mazda had the means to paint two cars the same coulour. Talk about boring :) J/k - being sarcastic people.

Dinu
    http://bilder.autobild.de/bilder/1/28889.jpg

HOW MUCH BIGGER IS THAT FLIPPIN' MAZDA EMBLEM GONNA GET???!!!

Meade

P.S. Note the headrests on the back seats as well -- think they'll go the way of the ones on the 6 when they get over here?

P.P.S. I like the looks of the rear of the hatch, except I DON'T like where you have to grab to pull it open! Looks kinda non-ergonomic, to put the key where you put it with your right hand and have to grab way down to the bumper with your left. Too much leaning! I hope they do redesign the rear of the hatch to include a handle of some sort and not just an indent under it. Actually, now that I look at it more closely, I think we'll be getting a different rear bumper over here -- or I hope so at least. The rear bumper in the picture has a slot for European license plates. Our much taller plates would hang down below the bumper and look awfully ugly!!!
    Thank you.

Meade
    They've changed the door handles for the new generation? No more underhanded finger pulls; now we get to grab 'n go! I like the look.

Meade
    I tried a "word-for-word translator" of the text for that Czech site Mazda3 and this is what I got:

About „šestce“ plus „dvojce“ wanting stilly „trojka“ která by at last complement final rejuvenation ultimate mould pallet této Japan automobile. PLUS them what tady , next year to yea acquaint with his successor. WITHIN mien to toho stilly too unwatered , however supposes to , that outline budou stir out out of newly magistral Mazdy6. Re: what mainly hither masques. WITHIN supply by to mely start-up four motors since 14, up 20, litre plus achievement – 130 stilt. Single diesel within supply bude hold area l.

That clears things up doesn't it? Ha!
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    They'll probably disappear in the sedan version though.

No matter. The way the roofline comes down, nobody over 5'5" could fit back there.

And I still think the refueling door is on the wrong side of the car.
    You are so right. I can think of no possible reason for a refueling door to be on other than the driver's side of a vehicle.
  • meinradmeinrad Member Posts: 820
    I like the fuel door on the passenger side of the car. That way I'm always opening my door away from the pumps and can't accidentally wham it into one of those bollards they put up.

Also, when you're standing there fueling, your passenger can put down the window and talk to you.

So I wish all cars had fuel doors on the passenger side. I got real used to it in my old Sunfire.
  • boggseboggse Member Posts: 1,048
    Another reason to have the fuel door on the passenger side is for safety. If you need to fill up on the highway, you and your tank of volatile liquid will be away from the traffic.
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    I prefer the refueling door on the same side as the driver seat. I find it easier to position my car relative to the pump handle, and there's less walking, which matters to me during windy winter weather.

I could get used to it, if the rest of the car appeals to me.

I never thought about refueling on the side of the freeway though. I've never let it get that low on the freeway...unless I want to pull a "Kramer". :)
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    Thanks, guys, I'm glad you liked the Sedan pics.
    1) Beats me, but I still think the CZ-pics were of the 5-door hatch.
    2) Bumpers for European lic-plates: we will get different bumpers anyway (NA-version).
    So far, and from what I could obtain from various European sources, it looks that the Mazda3 will come in following versions in Europe and Asia between 2004-2006:
    4 dr sedan, 3 dr hatch, 5 dr hatch, 5 dr tall wagon as Premacy replacement, and the sedan-based convertible.
    Let's see what Mazda NA will make out of it....