Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda3

Comments

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Be sure to check out our Town Hall chat lineup for Tuesday evenings... First up, talk the latest in new automotive technology during the Hybrid Vehicles Chat from 5-6pmPT/8-9pm ET

Hybrid Vehicles Chat Room

Immediately following at 6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET, we keep the chat party going with the Mazda Mania chat.

Mazda Mania Chat Room

The Town Hall chats are a great place to take these message board topics LIVE. Hope to see you there this week!

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards
  • aric214aric214 Member Posts: 20
    I agree. Mazda's paint does seem rather sensitive. I've already noticed a bunch little scratch marks on my car (probably from highway driving, but I didnt think it would scratch THAT easy). My brother has a 2003 Civic and went through the brush washes before and got some scratches.

Hand washing your car on a nice sunny day is pretty nice :P
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    come from grit in the brushes and straps, even though some car washes recycle and clean the water. Fine grit doesn't get filtered out. Those scratches use to be called "spiderwebbing".

I ran a silver BMW through a brush carwash and got them all over the car, the light reflecting off the scratches did look like spider webs. Repainting the car was prohibitive so I traded it. That was when BMW used laquer instead of today's paints, a six step process.

fowler3
  • rinebirdrinebird Member Posts: 83
    I have those od scratch marks & I never went to a car wash noticed them in the shade.I saw a note about paint with certain VIn numbers:
    they said the wrap on the car mayhave trapped air?\

see paint under problems
  • malibu_jackmalibu_jack Member Posts: 75
    Guys, can anyone tell me what the maximum tow capacity of the Mazda 3 is? Has anyone twoed a trailer with it?
  • modestmousemodestmouse Member Posts: 53
    A little MZ3 pulling a trailer..*giggle*

A note about so-called "old lady's" corolla. I realize that more than likely the MZ3i offers more features, a larger engine, similar gas mileage, and wayyyy more style, than the corolla. Some people buy for style some people are satisfied knowing their car will go for 250k.

My main point is that it doesn't matter if your car can get your from point a to b in style if its sitting in the shop.

Not to bash any car maker, just trying to inject some perspective.
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    Some people buy for style some people are satisfied knowing their car will go for 250k.

Average owners do away with a car within 5 years. Somebody putting on 50k miles a year (beyond me)?

My main point is that it doesn't matter if your car can get your from point a to b in style if its sitting in the shop.

Any car breaking down in the first 100k miles is cause for concern. Haven't heard of the corolla or 3 having that problem. VW...

Mazda seems to have taken their perfect handling and mixed in VW level interior materials with a heavy dose of style. That's the ultimate econo package and the reason mazda sales are going nuts.
  • pzevpzev Member Posts: 807
    "Any car breaking down in the first 100k miles is cause for concern. Haven't heard of the corolla or 3 having that problem. VW..."

From articles I've read, it seems Mercedes realizes quality has slipped and even seem to admit to it and are taking steps to improve. On the other hand, the articles I've read give me the impression that VW is dancing around the issues and the officials don't want to blame themselves. Even an article released recently have them blaming the poor Phaeton sales on it being a bland sedan and that something more interesting would have been better. They don't dare question that the price has anything to do with it. The US is a big market for the Phaeton and Americans prefer sedans, but they're also badge hounds and aren't going to cruise around in a lowly VW and be serviced at dealerships where other people having their Jettas and Golfs being serviced. Maybe some super coupe with huge HP MIGHT work but the whole point is to make VW more prestigious. The Ford GT and Chevrolet Corvette don't really raise the Ford and Chevy brands any.

On top of that, VW, Ford, and GM have a stranglehold on European parts suppliers and have basically told them they have to lower their prices to be competitive with Chinese parts suppliers or they'll go to them for their parts. To cut prices to Chinese levels means quality will suffer. Will VW ever learn?

And to make matters even worse, what happens if Middle Eastern countries follow Russia and start pricing oil in euros? You better believe the parts will start coming from China because it won't work when the euro is worth more than the US dollar. Having oil priced in euros will be a HUGE hit to the US dollar. Russia has already done it.
    getting from point A to point B, B is the shop.

Malibu_Jack: Mazda does not recommend pulling trailers with any of their compact sedans. There is no frame to attach the hitch to and will void the warrenty. Read a Mazda owner's manual for more information.

The only reliable VW was the original Beetle. All the others sinc ehave had electrical problems. Audi cars have had problems with failing alternators since 1977. German engineers think like Ford and GM, if it's "good enough" why spend more time designing to a higher standard?

Look at Lexus' signature, "The relentless persuit of perfection". Doesn't that mean they will never get there?

fowler3
  • creakid1creakid1 Member Posts: 2,032
    w/ LSD. Ditto the Miata...

This means drifting fun all the time w/o worries about going to the repair shop.

So far, someone too bored w/ his auto IS300 tried to rev before shifting from N into D & ruined the slush box. The dealer won't cover the several-thousand-dollar transmission repair under warranty 'cause the computer revealed how he ruined it!

For God's sake, get the stick & LSD on a powerful RWD car if you want to have so much skidding fun.

Anyway, the Focus II-suspension Mazda3 is a short cut to become a German car w/o the nightmare repairs.
    The IS is a powerful car?
    a Miata w/ LSD is powerful enough to power drift all the time w/o dumping the clutch. We're not racing on the track.

A Corvette Z06 can't, at least not all the time, 'cause at such velocity in the real world...
  • chicksdigmycarchicksdigmycar Member Posts: 6
    Not sure if this review was ever posted.
    http://www.autosite.com/Reviews/2004-mazda-3.asp
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    Geez. Could they mention BMW a few more times in that review?
  • civiletticiviletti Member Posts: 86
    I agree with autosite's criticism of the hatchback styling. the pro was better.

Is Madza really selling the 3 with RSA tires? They're not any better than the RE92's my '99 pro es came with.
  • alternatoralternator Member Posts: 629
    Yes, the BMW reference was overdone, but this review has the most useful content of any Mazda3 review I've seen anywhere. Anyone interested in possibly buying a Mazda3 should take a look at this very detailed review. Opinionated? Yes, but reads as if the reviewer has really tried to cover all the bases.
  • toguytoguy Member Posts: 20
    I checked Mazda's website and read a bunch of reviews, but still found no mention of whether either of the Mazda3 engines use a cam chain or a belt!

Does anyone know?
  • npaladin2000npaladin2000 Member Posts: 593
    The 2.3L engine uses a timing chain on the cam. Don't know about the 2L version.
    as BMW almost used the Focus platform more than a few years ago for their entry level car.

That's why Mazda has to keep this inexpensive car looking modest by making its exterior into an AMC Gremlin w/ rear doors. ;-)

Hey, AMC cars look like super heros in the old James Bond movie "The Man With the Golden Gun".

Than the Encore(Renault 11) also did some super stunts in another episode.
  • nedc2nedc2 Member Posts: 192
    All variants use a chain rather than a belt. For more on that engine family you can check out the following page: http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=13626
    since the article was written the engine has been put in a number of other vehicles inluding the Mazda 3 and Tribute, Ford Focus, Focus C-Max, Escape, and Fiesta, European Volvo S-40 and V-50. The 2.3 l version will also be the base engine in the car that was formerly called the Futura.
    also had a 2.3 base engine, but from the Pinto.
  • bm3bm3 Member Posts: 4
    Dear BM3,

Thank you for contacting Mazda North American Operations. I appreciate
    the opportunity to respond to you.

In regard to your inquiry, the 2005 MAZDA3 is currently scheduled to be
    released in October. Unfortunately, we don't have any specific
    information or pricing on the 2005 MAZDA3 at this time.

Please take a moment to give us your opinion about our e-mail service.
    Click or paste the link below to complete a brief, online survey.

- so October is confirmed. i guess it is safe to say that nobody really knows what changes, if any, are going to come.
    Got it off of another message board, but supposedly they got it from somewhere in Edmunds. :)

2005 Mazda3 Changes:
    - new wheel cover design for 'i' model
    - sirius compatible radio
    - titanium gray available on 'i' model
    - solar yellow deleted
    - lava orange available on 5 door only
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    Post 7391.

Meade
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    I think the most attractive 3 is the 3i sedan. The others look like they got too much inspiration from Bangle's bungles on the BMWs he's touched.

I too can't find a good driving position in the 3. Perhaps if they brought back the 8-way seat. Oh well. Good thing I own a Protege. :)
  • bunk1968bunk1968 Member Posts: 119
    I need a vehicle RIGHT NOW, and am most interested in the 3.
    I am a 36 year old male and am somewhat concerned with getting a vehicle that looks like a chick car or like a teeny boppers car.
    Can anyone give me there opinion as to wich style, hatchback, or sedan is more masculine and in which color for that particular style?
    I am not a machismo freak, but just want opinions. I was leaning toward a silver sedan with a spoiler, but sometimes think it looks like a chick car, but I sometimes look at the hatchback and think it looks too much like a cross between a focus and a vibe, neither of which I like.
    When I say chick car I hope to offend no one.

Oh, and can anyone tell me if the hatch is slower than the sedan because it weigh's more?

With all the complaints I have seen about the AC and the brakes on the 3, would anyone change there mind about owning one?
    Some say that this is a first year vehicle and that bugs always need to be worked out, but a Mazda salesman told me this car was out in Japan for sometime before coming here and there are no bugs to work out??
    You might want to find a different salesperson...I don't think it came out in Japan long before it was available here.

No complaints about the A/C and brakes here, though I found a chip in my hood while I was washing the car today, ouch. Time to break out the touch-up paint. It's tiny, but it annoys me. I wouldn't trade my 3 for anything. Incidentally I got the hatch, and think it's more manly. Looks bigger and meaner. :D
  • oldmonkoldmonk Member Posts: 38
    I would strongly recommend the manual transmission.
  • oldmonkoldmonk Member Posts: 38
    I have found quite a few chips too, they bother my wife more than me. To me the A/C is the main bothering issue.
    It's not "quite a few" it one. To be honest, quite a few wouldn't bother me so bad. ;) But one ruins the perfection of the rest of the car...which I just got back from the body shop, incidentally (stinkin kids...grrr...)

Incidentally, my A/C works so great, I can't stand to turn it up to 4. I've kept it at 3...for brief periods. I've noticed driving with the sunroof open to vent seems to make it more effective, BTW.
    "I've noticed driving with the sunroof open to vent seems to make it more effective, BTW."

I've noticed that, too, in my Protege on very hot days. The 3 seems to not have as good a flow-through ventilation system as the Pro.

bunk1968, the man makes the car, not the car makes the man. Have you looked at the new Chrysler 300, if the Mazda3 seems too chic for you?

The 5-door appeals to guys more than the sedan because of its utility and sport prospects: snow boarding, biking, surfing, camping, etc. It's neither the Focus wagon nor the wonky Vibe.

fowler3
    If you need a car RIGHT NOW, you are in too big a hurry to make a rational decision. Give yourself some ROOM and TIME to think.

Go to a Hertz agency and rent a Mazda3 (if they have them in stock) or a Mazda6, which they do have, for the weekend and see if you like the car. The 3 and the 6 are similar in some ways. Then on Monday, go to a Mazda dealer and test drive the 3.

fowler3
  • kennyf1130kennyf1130 Member Posts: 15
    Hello to all, new to the forums but I've been reading up on both vehicles and plan to test drive them tomorrow. I'm really split about 50/50 at the moment so hopefully after a test drive it will be much clearer. I'm interested in the tC auto, or the 3s auto. I have a dilemma at the moment, the car I have now, needs to have both axles replaced and tires need to be changed soon too (total cost $600).

The reason I want to get a new car now is because my college credit will run out august 15th. So I'm not sure if I should spend the 600 and wait it out until Mazda/Scion come out with some rebates or just trade/sell my current car (92 camry LE V6) and put that as a down payment. I'm going back and forth between what I should do in this situation so any comments will be greatly appreciated either about the cars or my situation.
    Also, anyone have any luck with either AAA or Costco pricing?
    I've noticed that, too, in my Protege on very hot days. The 3 seems to not have as good a flow-through ventilation system as the Pro.

LoL, the Pro's got a sad AC unit and it takes eons for that car to cool down to the 60s. My only complaint about my 03 pro ES would be that my AC is useless. We don't get that hot in San Diego but on days when it's over 85 like today, the car is scary hot for 20 minutes.
  • sevenseassevenseas Member Posts: 44
    No problems with my Protege's ac, does a good job cooling down the car in 5-10 minutes. Also own a v6 Mazda6 which also does an effective job. My friend owns a Jetta and his is ice cold, stronger than the mazda's. I used to own a RAV4 and it was weak.
  • barry42barry42 Member Posts: 64
    Fowler 3 -- I have had my Mazda3 HB for about two months now and it is very good !! There is not a thing wrong with it !! I especially like the suspension !! The car is so good -- I am negotiation now for a sedan for my wife !!

What did you get ?

Barry42
    Hello bud: Glad you got a 3, things must be better in Guatemalla for you? Congratulations.

I haven't traded yet. My Pro has only 19K miles on it after 38 months.

bluedotguy:

LoL, the Pro's got a sad AC unit and it takes eons for that car to cool down to the 60s. My only complaint about my 03 pro ES would be that my AC is useless. We don't get that hot in San Diego but on days when it's over 85 like today, the car is scary hot for 20 minutes.

I said when it gets HOT like 95 degrees or higher. It was 84 degrees yesterday and it cooled the Pro down quickly. Our problem is mainly humidity.

fowler3
  • zoommazda3zoommazda3 Member Posts: 8
    Hello. I am very interested in buying a Mazda3. I went to a dealer and we talk. I didn't see like the color i was looking for. The dealer told me that he can locate one for . My question is has anyone here had a Mazda3 located before and how does it work. Like when they do find one do u go there and get it or would it be ship to you. Just wondering how locating works.
  • eklektikeklektik Member Posts: 12
    The dealer I bought my s-sedan from had to search all over Houston to find the options I was searching for. He finally found a car with three of the four options I was looking for and I bought the car that day. Funny thing is that I was looking for an affordable practical sports car and I had gone to the dealer to test drive an RX-8, bt when I saw the loaded silver sedan in the showroom, my search was over. I've had the sedan for 3 months and am very happy with it, a few niggling things, the a/c could be colder, the power door lock could be illuminated at night, and there could be less rear brake dust, but overall I am not unhappy, far from it!
    The only thing I'd really like is some more torque and horsepower. I am thinking of adding a less restrictive cat-back exhaust, upgrade the air intake, high performance plugs, and synthetic oil to hopefully give me about fifteen more horses. Just don't want one of those loud burbling exhausts I hear on cheap Civics. Can anyone recommend a good exhaust system? Something quiet at idle, with a nice sound like the G35 when accelerating? With some more horses, I'll have that under 20 grand BMW, aggressively handsome styling, great handling, japanese built sedan with european connotations; and power! Finally, C/D and road and track post a 0-60 times of 7.4 and 8.0 secs respectively for the manual 5 door. Anyone have times for the lighter auto/manual sedan? Sure would love to know, love to get the times down to mid 6 sec.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Be sure to check out our Town Hall chat lineup for Tuesdays... First up, talk the latest in new automotive technology during the Hybrid Vehicles Chat from 12-1-6pmPT/3-4pm ET
    NOTE: This is a NEW time slot for this week!

Hybrid Vehicles Chat Room

Immediately following at 6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET, we keep the chat party going with the Mazda Mania chat.

Mazda Mania Chat Room

The Town Hall chats are a great place to take these message board topics LIVE. Hope to see you there this week!

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards
    said when it gets HOT like 95 degrees or higher. It was 84 degrees yesterday and it cooled the Pro down quickly. Our problem is mainly humidity.

I live in San Diego. If it ever hits 95 here the city will shut down and our cheeseball news will spend 24/7 reporting on the heat wave.

For me when it breaks 75, I think it's hot. 85 is miserable. 95...I'll stay in the ocean/pool/inside.
    So no serious complaints about the a/c from anyone here I guess. The complaints here seem fairly minimal to me.

npaladin2000 : What color did you get?

I have driven the 3 and I am pretty sure of my purchase on it. I think it is a blast to drive.
    Still trying to decide on the Sedan or the Hatch.
    If I get the Sedan I think I will go for silver or titanium. In the Hatch, even though everyone say to avoid it, I really like the black.
    Oh, also, does anyone know if I may be able to fit a mountain bike in the back of the hatch? If not I guess I really wouldn't care if I had the hatch or not. Just need to decide which one LOOKS SPORTIER.
    Oh, and, can anyone tell me if putting a bra on the black car is a bad idea? I thought it would help with rock chips, but I have heard that it can be bad if moisture builds up underneath it. I heard it affects the paint.
    I got the red. It's great. :D

I don't like bras at all. I've heard they can discolor the paint underneath them.
    I would like to add one other question to my previous post. Can anyone tell me if it is really that big of a deal if I pay for the ABS brake package??
    My previous post questions are certainly more important to me than this one though.
    "Just need to decide which one LOOKS SPORTIER."

Sportier like a sports car? (read low center of gravity)

Or more sport utility like an off roader? (read high center of gravity)
  • howachowac Member Posts: 52
    In my mind, the ABS package would certainly have higher priority than the other issues. I would highly recommend getting the ABS/SAB/SAC package. The price isn't that high considering that you're getting all three safety features. I will always get ABS because I don't think I can pump/modulate the brakes as well as the ABS system can.

As for side airbags/air curtains, just take a look at some of the crash test pictures on the IIHS website. It should help you make up your mind.

Toyota Camry without side airbags:
    http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/side/s0316.htm

Toyota Camry with side airbags:
    http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/side/s0315.htm

As for the bra, I personally don't like them because they look very bad and never seem to fit right. But the main issue is that dirt and other debris will get trapped underneath the bra and will slowly grind into the paint. If you're concerned about getting chips, look into the clear films offered by 3M and other companies.
  • harddrivetharddrivet Member Posts: 90
    Hello,
    Please keep us posted as to how you increase your HP. I would really be interested in how you do the work, if it is easy, and how much it may cost. Thanks.
    "The only thing I'd really like is some more torque and horsepower. I am thinking of adding a less restrictive cat-back exhaust, upgrade the air intake, high performance plugs, and synthetic oil to hopefully give me about fifteen more horses."

If you will check the Mazda Protega forum and look at the Owner's Maintenance data, there is information on *high performance plugs*. I think they did not recommend them and it would cancel your warrenty.

zoommazda3:
    Locating the car you want, the dealer you went to calls other local dealers and dealers in surrounding cities and around the state. If another dealer has the car and will trade it to your dealer for one of his, he will call you. A driver has to go to the other dealer and bring back the car you wanted. It isn't unusual to do this. You may have to compromise on an option.

bunk1968:
    I'm with the others on this one. The ABS option is a MUST HAVE in a car as small as the 3. Other options are vanity items or gadgets. Also with those who say to avoid Black. If you want a microwave-oven-on-wheels get black with leather.

fowler3
  • kmh2468kmh2468 Member Posts: 62
    Here's a recent shot of my 3 at the Texas coast:

I'd say it's rather "sporty"... :D
  • kmh2468kmh2468 Member Posts: 62
    Forgot to add that I got 27+ MPG on 90% highway, 5% beach, 5% city... The ride was very nice on the 17" wheels and had no complaints about the A/C from my wife and son who sat in the back. It's been a pretty wonderful car and occasionally get those "hey,that's nice!" kinda stares... at least I hope that's what people are saying.

I, too, opted for the ABS and side curtain airbags option moreso than any other feature. The Xenon headlamps are also a great safety feature, IMHO.