Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda3

Comments

• gambit293gambit293 Member Posts: 406
    sschaffer,

How do I check the build date?

I can tell you that it has less than 4000 miles, for what its worth.
  • creakid1creakid1 Member Posts: 2,032
    "The car I had just before the Mazda 3 was a Nissan Sentra SE, 2.0 liter auto and it had very much more noticeable ac drag but not anything dangerous."

Remember, Mazda is a "zoom zoom" company, & therefore cares about...

My '90 Pro cuts off the A/C for at least a few seconds to maximum of 7 seconds every time the throttle reaches zero vacuum. So it feels like your power is unaffected by the A/C, at least for the 1st 7 seconds. If you need the max power for more than 7 seconds, then you should be smart enough to turn the huge A/C button off in time.

But what bothers me is that every time I down shift for braking, it also keeps the A/C compressor disengaged for a few seconds & thus, partially defeats the purpose of engine braking.
  • rinebirdrinebird Member Posts: 83
    The date bulit is on the driver panel door month and year! So far winter dates and 3/04 a common factor in Ac problem.
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    You did the right thing - Why would anyone want to buy a car from a company that is not honest.

They agreed to $20,000 out the door - then they come up with some story about a $1,000 down payment - if they do not know what an "out the door price" is - it must be the first car that they have ever sold.
  • gambit293gambit293 Member Posts: 406
    FYI, my rental car's build date is 3/2004.

Btw, I got a chance to play with the sport shifter a little. Actually, those 148 hp really can stretch their legs!
  • rayberrayber Member Posts: 4
    My new 3 is now in the dealer again for it's 4th time because of the engine ligh that keeps coming on. Seems they had the same problem in the 6. Have you been able to fix the problem or is it still not fixable? Seems to be some type of computer glitch that they are trying to fix and only occurs on some 3's depending on driving conditions, at least that is what I am being told. Can you help with advise? I am in the US too.
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    rayber: Check the Mazda3 Maintenance forum for an answer it's in Mazda3 Owners Club. Click at the top of the page under the photo.

fowler3
  • musiclovermusiclover Member Posts: 2
    Just picked up my new Mazda3s today. This car is great!

Here are the stats:
    Titanium Gray Metallic
    4 door sedan
    2.3L 5M
    6 CD changer
    ABS/SAB/SAC Package
    Leather
    Moonroof
    power everything

Price paid: $18,935

Other cars considered:
    BMW 325i
    Honda Accord

I chose the Mazda3 because:
    Best price/performance
    Very good reliability
    Very good handling, fuel economy
    Very favorable Edmunds, Consumer Reports & owner reviews

About the A/C issue:
    Here in Sacramento, CA temperatures routinely reach 100+ in the summer and today was no exception. Sitting in traffic I had no problem staying cool with fan speed at 3 and recirc. Date code on door panel was 5/04.

After day one, I am very happy with my new M3s!
    w/ these taillights. Then there's the stick shift not for the clumsy drivers...

Although I personally hate black leather...
  • dsodso Member Posts: 14
    For what it's worth, a dealership in suburban Washington, D.C. just told me that the brochures on the 2005 Mazda3 would be available in the first week of October, with the cars available sometime that month.
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    Enjoy! And congratulations! You made the right choice.

It may be that in the east and southern states the high humidity is the difference with the A/C. Hot and sticky.

fowler3
    Will the Mazda3 get it?

So far, the S40 T5 does it w/ hardly any torque steer in FWD form, while combining w/ a relax-riding suspension std.
  • mazda6smazda6s Member Posts: 1,901
    Don't you mean "will be available on the Focus II ". You can't buy one yet, can you?
    The same issue September CAR also mentioned that following the 260hp 2.3 4-cylinder turbo Mazda MPS6 AWD is the 240hp version of the same engine in the MPS3 AWD coming out in early '06. That's still 20 more peak hp than the Ford/Volvo's 220hp 2.5 5-cylinder turbo.

I'm gonna have to pass it 'cause even the stock Mazda3 already rides harder than the RX-8, which will give birth to the next Miata, which I should take instead.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    It was announced today in Automotive News that the next generation Focus for the US market (2007 model year) will NOT get the C1 Focus platform. It will continue on the current C170 platform. The MZ3 and Volvo S40,V50 will continue to use the C1 platform.
    the good old Focus I will rule!! All it needs is better noise insulation & reliability.
  • npaladin2000npaladin2000 Member Posts: 593
    At this rate it's gonna go the way of the Cavalier and be 10 years old before it gets a new platform. I guess they haven't made up the money on the C170 platform yet...and we get stuck with it while the rest of the world gets to use the new platform we're paying for?

Good thing the Mazda3 is around. ;)
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    All it needs is reliability, huh?

So does it rule all the time or just when it's not in the repair shop for another recall or breakdown?

:)
  • everfebeverfeb Member Posts: 115
    I,ve posted this in Probs and Hatchback sections, sorry for the inconvenience.
    If you have had a new fuel pump installed did your mileage and/or start up crank times improve??? Once the new pump was put in have you had any problems directly related to the new pump???

Mazda is going to put a new pump in my 3. I hope this improves my currently sickening gas mileage/start up problem. Any comments will be much appreciated. Thanks. Regards

everfeb

Oct 03 build date and I've had almost every problem discussed on these Forums with my Hatch Auto GT
    Please post your MPG after you get the pump replaced - I have been getting 18 MPG city since having my CEL fixed - I don't see a big problem with crank time to start up the engine - but it is not as fast as my other cars -

I also have a 10/03 build date - so far I have had (still have *) these problems

Grinding noise in rear brakes*
    Excess rear brake dust*
    CEL (3 trips to the dealer to fix)
    Defective AC system*
    Very harsh 1-2 shift - first few shifts each day*
    Front end clunky noise over speed bumps*
    Dash rattle*
    Loose front seat
    Paint stains

So far 6 trips to my dealer in 7 months of ownership - that is more that any other car/truck I have ever owned.
  • npgmbrnpgmbr Member Posts: 248
    The A/C issues some posters are experiencing sound similiar to some of the same issues experienced by some owners of the Toyota Matrix, Pontiac Vibe and Scion Xb.

The one thing that all of these cars have in common is that they are fuel sippers.

For instance: I have a 99 Infiniti G20, one of my best friends has a 03 Matrix XR. On the day we picked up his car he noted that he wished his A/C worked as good as mine did and I said well your car has a small engine so it cant give the same output that mine can.

But when I rode in the car with him I to thought that the A/C was significantly underpowered.

Thing is, people living in areas where temps don't normally reach 90, or have covered parking will find it easier to cool their cars ..... while those that park in the open and live in areas with high temps and/or humidity (Metro DC my area) will find it much more difficult to cool their autos.

Personally I don't think black on black is an issue. My G20 is black and has black leather seating and surfaces, yet I never have to have my A/C blowing on high for any longer than 5 minutes even on the hottest of days, however it does take a little longer when the car is parked in the open.

I never use recirculate, or crack windows to make the A/C work better. You simply should not have to do that.

Its my PERSONAL conclusion that the A/C issues experienced by small car owners MAY just be a sympton of an engine not powerful enough to get the job done.

Then again, I may be totally wrong!
  • cdnp5cdnp5 Member Posts: 163
    I have to disagree. The P5 has only a 2.0 ltr engine and has only 130hp and it has no problems cooling the car. I know I don't live in the far south but it does manage to hit 30C+ around here, then factor in the humidity for a temp of 40C+.....except this summer of course.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Yes, and I've rented several Corollas in hot, humid conditions and they blow ice cold even with their 1.8L, 130 hp engines.
    If you go back a few years a 160 HP engine would not be considered small - even some large V8's put out less HP (lets not get into the torque discussion)

I was just in a Kia Rio ($11.5K out the door including TT&L) - not sure how big an engine it has but it has way less power than the Mazda3 and it blew ice cold air. I also know of a 10 year old Civic that has a much better AC then my 2004 Mazda3 - I think that those old Civics had about 80-85 HP.

We need to stop making excuses for Mazda's incompetence. Mazda needs to step up and admit that they have a problem and fix this defect.
    With its 1.5-liter, CARBURETED Mitsubishi 4-banger ... put out a whopping 89 hp!!!

Meade
    With the cars coming out now. For one thing the A/C units in the cars used different chemicles with the A/C units.

I still believe that something has changed in the industry particularly when it comes to finding ways to get cars to travel farther using smaller amounts of fuel.

I'm planning to replace my G20 next summer and my current vehicles of choice are in order:

- Chevy HHR (If it doesn't meet expectations then)
    - Mazda 3s (If A/C issue is not addresseed then)
    - Mazda 6s
    Oh, I wasn't. My Hyundai didn't even HAVE air-conditioning. (You shoulda driven one with it -- talk about NO POWER when the compressor was running!!!) I was merely caught up in the great horsepower brouhaha.

I'm like you, except for the fact that previous experience with Chevrolet products and their customer service keeps me from ever considering a GM product again. The Mazda3 wagon is my top choice for the replacement for my 2000 Protege ES next May. If they don't fix the A/C by then, I may be looking at a Mazda6.

Meade
    Yeah I can totally understand how you feel. My first car was an 89 Chevy Baretta. Absolutely loved the car and it was very reliable for me. But then I traded the Baretta at 166k miles for a 97 Geo Tracker (I think it was 97). Loved it too but I noticed that the workmanship was not there.

Little things were breaking or popping off and I just got tired of it and then bought my G20. I'm still a Chevy fan boy, but GM needs to stop using cheap materials to build their vehicles, otherwise, they will continue to loose loyal customers to imports.

What I see of the Chevy Cobalt looks good so far but if Chevy uses cheap glue to apply the fabric to the sealing, then it will become apparent over time and customers won't go back to the Cobalt.

And as much as it pains me to say it ....... its little things like this that make imports so much better than domestics.

Something funny about my Tracker is that I would always turn off the A/C when merging onto the highway or going up some of the hills in my area. Was kinda funny but still lots of fun. :-)
    The refrigerant used is not the issue - many cars use the R134A and they have AC systems that blow ice cold air.

My neighbor has a Mazda Millenia (spelling?) it has an ice cold AC.

The fact is any competent car company can - and most do - design and build cars that have ice cold AC systems.

Does anyone really think that Mazda decided to put an AC system in the Mazda3 that does not cool the car when it is hot out?

Of course they did not do this - it was a mistake - when you make a mistake you should admit it - and fix it.
    I was in no way implying that Mazda or any other manufacturer purposefully made the A/C weak.

I was saying that it might be the result of a small engine. I only mentioned the refrigerant because someone made a comparison between a current model and a model built a decade ago.

There are many things at play here that could be at fault. But its kinda hard to ignore the fact that the majority of these complaints are coming from owners of NEW small cars.
  • rinebirdrinebird Member Posts: 83
    In regards to the AC in the Mazda 04 models, the engine size is not related as it seems from the posts the 2.0 &r the 2.3 is having problems with the AC. Not all 2.0's & 2.3's have the AC problem. Most of us have isolated the 3/04 or before manufacturer date or winter date.

The service manager where I went, told me the engine size is why my AC is poor .If that is my Mazda service manager's opinion then they are false advertising the Mazda 3 with AC in my opinion. We all pay top have AC in ANY car.Therfore it should work in ANY car.
    ... is it's supposedly the same system that's in the Mazda6. I haven't read a lot of a/c complaints about the 6.

Meade
    Maybe the AC problem is caused by the 17 inch wheels. My last car had 16 inch wheels and the AC worked great.
  • bunk1968bunk1968 Member Posts: 119
    I don't know the cut off date for models that had problems with the A/C?
    Secondly, if they offer good deals on 04's would it be better to snatch one of those up instead of worry about resale value loss and waiting for an 05?
    Oh, and I would also like to ask if there is a better chance of having less problems with an 05 since it is not a first year production?
    Do late model 04's have less problems (like with the A/C) than the first 04's?
    Does anyone know when or if Mazda will be starting deals on the 04's?
    ** AND COULD SOMEONE PLEASE CLEAR UP WHETHER OR NOT THE HATCH HAS A TENDENCY TO ROLL OVER? AND IS IT ANY MORE THAN THE SEDAN?
    ** IS THERE MORE HORSEPOWER COMING OUT IN THE 05,S??
    The Mazda3 sedan was tested, and came in third from the top (the top was the RX-8, by the way) among cars tested for rollover resistance.

They didn't test a wagon (hatch).

I wouldn't see why the wagon would do much differently, since it sits on the same wheelbase and has almost the same center of gravity. I wouldn't sweat the rollover issue.

Meade
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    "But then I traded the Baretta at 166k miles for a 97 Geo Tracker (I think it was 97). Loved it too but I noticed that the workmanship was not there.
    Little things were breaking or popping off and I just got tired of it and then bought my G20. I'm still a Chevy fan boy, but GM needs to stop using cheap materials to build their vehicles, otherwise, they will continue to loose loyal customers to imports."

That's funny because your Beretta was pure GM and the Geo Tracker is Suzuki.

BTW, I have a 2003 Mazda6. Someone in here mentioned that it has the same A/C unit as the Mazda3. My A/C works just fine.
    "AND COULD SOMEONE PLEASE CLEAR UP WHETHER OR NOT THE HATCH HAS A TENDENCY TO ROLL OVER? AND IS IT ANY MORE THAN THE SEDAN?"

Even if it does, it's still way less likely than just about any other car on the road. The 3 sedan's performance is amazing & took 3rd place behind the RX-8 & TL, both of which are available w/ DSC in N.A.
  • birdman579birdman579 Member Posts: 151
    My A/C is working fine in my car, but its not the best system I've seen. I think one of the big issues is the large black dash. That thing soaks up the sun and heats up like crazy. My previous car was a Saturn with a short, beige dash and it was fine. My parents owned a 96 Chrysler Cirrus. That was when Chrysler had the cab forward design so it had a huge black dash and the A/C was definitely not great. Where's the ducting for the A/C system, right under the large, hot, black dash. The ducts will definitely heat up. I'm not saying there's not something wrong with the early Mazda3s, but I don't ever see the A/C being amazing.
    Is the sedan faster and sportier than the hatchback? I know it could not be much, but is it technically?
    What kind of test exactly did the sedan 3 take 3rd in?

*AND STILL, IF ANYONE CAN ANSWER THE BELOW QUESTIONS PLEASE DO:

I don't know the cut off date for models that had problems with the A/C?
    Secondly, if they offer good deals on 04's would it be better to snatch one of those up instead of worry about resale value loss and waiting for an 05?
    Oh, and I would also like to ask if there is a better chance of having less problems with an 05 since it is not a first year production?
    Do late model 04's have less problems (like with the A/C) than the first 04's?
    Does anyone know when or if Mazda will be starting deals on the 04's?
    "I don't know the cut off date for models that had problems with the A/C?"

No one knows; the A/C problems have been scattered and sporadic, depending on the car. For instance, mine was built in 12/03 and has no A/C problems, but some built in 2004 have been complained about. Test drive on a hot day.

"Secondly, if they offer good deals on 04's would it be better to snatch one of those up instead of worry about resale value loss and waiting for an 05?"

Yes. After all, they jacked up the MSRP. Always a good sign to those worried about resale...I bought mine BEFORE the MSRP increase...both MSRP and price paid seem to have gone up a bit since.

"Oh, and I would also like to ask if there is a better chance of having less problems with an 05 since it is not a first year production?"

Maybe, and maybe not. We don't know how many little tweaks they may have made to production. I do know there aren't any huge changes for 05..the big ones are some color availability changes, and satellite radio compatibility.

"Do late model 04's have less problems (like with the A/C) than the first 04's?"

Highly likely, but not guaranteed.

"Does anyone know when or if Mazda will be starting deals on the 04's?"

If. BIG "if." They'll only do great deals on the 04s to get rid of them when the 05s start rolling in...basically, to get rid of the leftovers. If the sales lately have been any indicator, there'll be few leftovers, except for some of the more undesirable option bundles. Likely October at the earliest would be when they'd do it I think...could be later though.
    Who put the black dash in the Mazda3?

Did someone sneak into the Mazda manufacturing plant and switch the light colored dash that Mazda planned to use and install the black dash -WITHOUT MAZDA NOTICING IT?

NO! Mazda made a decision to put a black dash and black seats and offer a car that is black - don't you think it would be a normal brain function to test the AC system under the "black dash, black seats,black car - with temps in the 90's and high humidity scenario? Only a completely incompetent company would NOT do this test before they sell a car. But wait - this is Mazda - as long as they get your money -ONCE- they could care less.
  • sschaffersschaffer Member Posts: 80
    I had to park in the sun today, all day, temp was 100+ and humidity unusually high for Fresno.

My car is velocity red with black leather interior and I parked without cracking any windows but did have the moonroof tilted up (shade pulled shut).

The seat was too hot to touch with my bare hands and so was the steering wheel. Turned ac on fresh, speed 2, openned windows until out of parking lot, closed windows, put ac on speed 4 and recirc. The air coming out of the vents was cold, but there was so much heat absorbed into the upholstery and interior that it took 2 miles or so for the interior to cool down significantly. I directed the vents toward me from the outset so was still not terribly uncomfortable while waiting for the interior to cool.

I work for a Toyota/Scion dealer and can confirm that my MZ3s AC works much better than that of the Scion XB, Toyota Echo, or Scion TC. It's also a bit better than the typical new Corolla, but not by a huge margin.

My ac blows as cold on "fresh" on a typical Fresno summer day (100+ but only 35-40% humidity) as a Corolla on "recirc", and the outlet temp varies very little during long stoplights, less so than on most Toyotas.

It is definitely far superior to the AC in my last car, an 01 Nissan Sentra SE, which was almost totally inneffective on "fresh" at temps over 90 degrees in traffic.

I am a smoker, and find I can crack the driver's window to let the smoke out and run the ac on fresh to keep it from getting stinky from smoke and still be comfortable on a 100 degree day, once the interior is cooled down from it's initial heatsoak from being parked in the sun. I could never do that with the Sentra, nor with most small cars I've owned.

BTW, the best AC I've ever experienced in an automobile was in a 91 Chevy Lumina which I owned from 93 to 98. If one started with open windows after a heatsoak, fan on 2-fresh, and rolled windows up and hit Max AC after half a block, one could be comfortable within another block of city driving. GM may have their faults but they can do AC.
  • cdnp5cdnp5 Member Posts: 163
    The problem with the A/C is not the black dash. The P5 also has a black dash plus black interior and its A/C works great.
    I say the problem with the A/C is the A/C.
  • birdman579birdman579 Member Posts: 151
    Its not so much that its black, its the size that makes a difference. Compare a Protege to a 3 and the 3's dash is roughly 50% larger due to the sloping windshield. The Protege has a shorter dash due to a more upright windshield.
  • musiclovermusiclover Member Posts: 2
    ...of gas yielded 28 mpg for an even mix of city/hwy driving. I'm impressed as I didn't expect that kind of mileage, though, I have been taking it easy on acceleration during the break-in period.

A/C seems to be working fine, even on the hottest days here in Sacramento.

Lot's of comments from friends on how well the car rides/handles and how good it looks. This car is a real joy to drive!
    "Is the sedan faster and sportier than the hatchback? I know it could not be much, but is it technically?"

The slightly lighter sedan should be just a hair faster than the hatch, which actually feel a little rear-top heavy by comparison when I drove them both back to back at the RevItUp event. A while ago, Bruno posted that he believes the hatch's extra weight on the rear will balance out the understeer & hence handles better. As it turned out that the sedan already got all the oversteer dialed in so you can provoke it that way anytime you want, & having the hatch's extra rear weight is not necessary.

You can fool yourself thinking you're going faster by adding a cat back exhaust. When my Protege's aftermarket stock muffler broke again, it sounded so fast while going at 70mph. Then when I replace it w/ the same muffler, I was going at 80mph but seemed slower.

"What kind of test exactly did the sedan 3 take 3rd in?"

Some one post it earlier. It's about how likely a car rolls over during an one-car accident. The 1st-place RX-8 may or may not come w/ the optional DSC. The 2nd-place TL got DSC std. While the Mazda3 sedan does not come w/ DSC in this country & still took 3rd place. The Beetle convertible wasn't far behind.

Cars w/ roll-over problems even w/o collision were the high-center-of-gravity Mercedes A-class & the awkward-aerodynamic Audi TT back in Germany. So they ended up w/ adding std ESP(DSC), plus lowered the suspension & adding rear spoiler, respectively.
  • wongpreswongpres Member Posts: 422
    "What kind of test exactly did the sedan 3 take 3rd in?"

NHTSA, see here: http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/nhtsa/announce/press/pressdisplay.cfm?ye- - - - - ar=2004&filename=pr34-04.html

"Oh, and I would also like to ask if there is a better chance of having less problems with an 05 since it is not a first year production?"

Manufacturers are constantly modifying the production line throughout a vehicle's life cycle (some of it is to fix problems, while others may be to actually use cheaper parts because the original spec was set too high). But if you take this view to the extreme, you shouldn't buy a Mazda3 until the '08 year (and the car to buy now would be a new '03 Protege). Point-being, just buy a car when you need it. For an '04 vs '05 Mazda3, base your decision on things like availability of your preferred color/option combo, exactly how much the price difference between the two are, and exactly when you need the car.

Just two weeks ago, I went in with a friend to purchase a Mazda3. For that particular situation, it was better to order an '05, but your individual situation will vary (my friend didn't need a car until Oct, their preferred colour/option combo was rare, and the dealership was willing to sell an '05 at the '04 price, so the decision was obvious). So base your '04 vs '05 decisions on these factors (not any potential issue fixes).

As for the A/C issue, Mazda will offer a TSB but it takes time, and only once the TSB is out will we know for sure the change-over date. Take the RX-8 A/C amplifier as an example, Mazda only released the TSB in Apr '04 (almost a whole year after the vehicle was on sale). So look for one between this fall to next spring (in the meantime, those affected will have to deal with it for this summer). "Weak" A/C is not a critical stop-sale item.
    Thank you all!
    I have a car that can hold me over for at least a couple of months, I am now just trying to decide on whether or not I should wait for the '05's or if I should go for any deals on the '04's.
    As I had mentioned in another post, I just don't know what kind of deal on the '04's I should be looking for that would justify not waiting for the '05's.
    If I can find an '04' in the color and combo I want when the deals start would it be worth going for in consideration of not only the discount for the '04', but also becuase of the price hike the '05' will probably get.
    Does anyone know if Mazda will most likely keep the owner loyalty discount around for the '05's?
    I am currently being offered $500 off of the '04'.
    Also, I tried to start a post, as shallow as it may seem, asking whether people thought the Sedan or the Hatch was sportier looking. I just wanted to know peoples general opinion. From one day to the next my mind changes on which I like better. I am very curious to know what you all think will sell better in the U.S., the Sedan S or the Hatch S.
    Well, thanks again everyone and thanks for your patience in answering any questions that may have seemed uneccesary.
    Don't base it on what sells better. Base it on what you prefer. If you're still undecided, test drive both, and play around with each cargo compartment. See how you like the setup. See if the visibility differences from the driver's chair make a difference to you. Basically, decide it on the merits YOU select, not because "everyone else is buying that one." Otherwise you might end up deciding later that you're unhappy, and you'll get buyer's remorse, and it will color your opinion of the rest of the car in a non-good way. ;)

Incidentally, I drive the hatch. I wanted the carrying capacity and versatility, because I'm a single guy and therefore a one-car family (and it's SO handy for carrying big items..next plan is to get a couple of those bed-chair pillow things and set them up in the back with the seats dropped and go to the drive in with this girl...uh, anyway..).

Some will prefer the sedan instead, because it's lighter, has less road noise, and I've heard the visibility is better from some angles. It can also be had slightly cheaper. Point is, pick your own merits and then decide. Once you HAVE decided, THEN worry about whether to get a leftover or not, because then you'll know what you want. ;)