Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Frontier

Comments

• davacydavacy Member Posts: 5
    A local Nissan dealer and my Carsdirect rep both told me that the problem is not with the roof but rather the rack. The rack is being retooled and will be available in Oct. You should be able to add a rack at a later date even if you buy your CC now. I'm still concerned so if anyone hears more about this, please post.
  • janis2janis2 Member Posts: 7
    Did your Nissan dealer tell you how much the roofrack cost? I know my dealer is going to screw
    me. My husband says they will probably give me the
    rack and tell me to put it on myself. Please read #153 and write back with any info.
  • davacydavacy Member Posts: 5
    invoice price is about $220 for the rack. I have no idea how much they would charge to install one at a later date. I figure they will charge as much as they possibly can.
  • fraciscofracisco Member Posts: 2
    I think that you will do better with a traditional Yakima or Thule roof rack setup that can be removed from the vehicle, and can support the same amount of weight as the Nissan tubular roofrack.
  • npepnpep Member Posts: 11
    I just purchased my third rack, this time to go on top of my Crew Cab. Easy to put on and looks great!
    Here is the info you will need to get one:
    4 Q towers
    2 #20Q clips for the front
    2 #94Q clips for the back
    2 48" bars
    1 reg. fairing, optional but looks great
    any accesories, basket, bike rack, etc.
    I found the cheapest prices at www.excelsports.com but they did not have the Q94's. If you want the basket, the best price can be found at:
    http://www.rackwarehouse.com/specials.htm
    Let me know if you have any questions, Nik
  • jukbxhrojukbxhro Member Posts: 5
    I want the new Nissan crew cab bad but I am not sure about buying one in the year 1999. Won't buying a truck prior to the year be bad for resale? Comments wanted. Is there a way around this?
    Dustyi
  • cncmancncman Member Posts: 487
    jukbxhro;
    Not sure I understand your question, A 2000 model is still a 2000 model whether you buy it in 1999
    or 2000.
  • jukbxhrojukbxhro Member Posts: 5
    If you buy a 2000 truck in 1999, a year before the year, in reality I am putting miles on it 4 months in 99 and a whole years worth in 2000. So if I sold it in 2001. It would have 35+ miles for only being one year old. That would look bad when selling the truck. Not that I want to sell it in one year but in three years from now that would hurt a lot. I guess after writing this that the answer should be obvious. Thanks Dustyi
  • bcsjbaylorbcsjbaylor Member Posts: 1
    I just looked at the Crew Cab Frontier and while I like the truck, I am concerned about trailer towing. I have a pop-up trailer weighing in at 3300 lbs and the dealer says No Problem. But I say it's only a 6 cylinder and I question that if I can tow it, will I be limited to a turtle's pace. Any comments out there. E-mail at bcsjbaylor@enter.net. Thanks
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    Yes, you need torque. The Nissan V6 has 200ft/lbs of torque. Please review other trucks in this class for torque specs. As a matter of fact I'll give them to you.
    Toyota Tacoma - 220ft/lbs
    Chevy S-10 - 240 ft/lbs
    Ford Ranger - 225ft/lbs
    baylor;
    the Crew Cab is rated at 5000 lbs for the auto and
    3500lbs for the standard. No problem there.
  • skgskg Member Posts: 16
    bcsjbaylor,
    Check out post 13 of topic 864 (Nissan Trucks) for my experience towing a HEAVY trailer with my son's 4 cylinder. I think you might be pleased.
    Kent
    Cncman, I know your in sales and thought you may want to know Ford has moved production/debut of its Explorer Sport Trac up to January 2000. Its going to sport a 206HP/245ft/lbs single-overhead-cam V6! Larger interior, 4x4 or 4x2 models, and tons of standard features. Better get to sellin those Frontier crew cabs, once these hit the market Nissan will be a hurtin unit.
    Glad to see ford is finally getting on track and following Nissan's lead again, I am not worried,
    by then Nissan will have the 210hp version out, and folks will still prefer quality. Also From what I heard the sport trac is going to be expensive, but that is what we expect from ford.
    There is also word that Nissan may replace the crew cab with the SUT soon, another advantage of having the lift gate in the back that noone else will have, but I am sure ford will get around to doing that too.
  • sludgesludge Member Posts: 1
    Does anybody know when the nissan crew cab will be available with the 210hp?
    Nissan has to add a supercharger to get the 210HP, don't forget to add that tidbit of info cncman. Gee, wonder what would happen if Ford added a supercharger to its already 206hp, 245ft/lbs of torque engine? Can you say 240HP, possibly. Face it, Nissan 3.3 is a joke.
    We will let the consumer decide on who's quality is best. And so far the Ranger continues to outsell the Frontier almost 5 to 1. Even after the Frontier has been around for about 2 years. Keep a reachin Cncman.
    Also, about price. People are paying a hefty price for the Nissan Crew cabs, I'm sure you have visited other sites and have read this also.
  • dakota2dakota2 Member Posts: 4
    Let me just say this. I visit this conference to read and talk to others about the NISSAN CC, and if you wish to sell or talk about fords or any other make and model, you should go elsewhere. I'm not trying to downplay shopping around for others, but this conference was set up to talk about the Nissan. Which I plan on purchasing! Thank you very much.
  • javierriverajavierrivera Member Posts: 2
    I saw the CrewCabs more than 5 years ago in South America. I loved them!. I have been waiting for them to be sold here in the US since then. Now that they are here, most dealers want MSRP. I can wait a few more months. I think price competition will really start when Toyota comes out with their CrewCab.
    In the mean time, Does any one know of a decent Nissan dealer in South Florida who is willing to deal on an SE 4x4 CC?
  • carltcarlt Member Posts: 1
    I live in Virginia Beach, Va. and have had zero luck in finding a 2wd V6 crew cab. I have looked at dealerships in five cities in southeastern Va. Anyone out there know of any 2WD's nearby?
  • ric15ric15 Member Posts: 4
    The Nissan Crew Cab is a great deal for an SUT. Consider the prices of today's family sedans or even the prices for a full-size reg. cab 4x2 pick-ups both groups serve their own useful purpose. The Crew Cab however compromises between the two for what I considered a good value.
    The price and size critique in Edmund's review mentioned a comparison between Nissan Crew Cab and a Chevy Silverado. That's not an apples to apples comparison. Bigger is'nt always better and there's a heftier price too. When the other manufactures roll out their offerings also with shortened beds, the critics with probably praise them, but the Crew Cab will still remain in a class of it's own uniqueness.
    I have been down the Chevy road and I welcomed the change to Nissan, esspecially the 5 year or 60,000 mile powertrain warranty included in the price of the vehicle that's a plus over the Silverado.
    My Crew Cab 2000 is just what it is, exciting, adventerous and a new Frontier!

Enjoy the Ride!
  • louieslouies Member Posts: 3
    I just bought my CC. I opted for an XE because I counld't get 2 dealers to change things around just the way I wanted them. Here's what I bought:
    XE
    Value Plus Package
    Power Package
    Sport Package (ie CD player) minus the flip up sunroof and added an electric slide sunroof
    Bed Extender and mats.
    out the door price: List + $750.00 (Note I said List not MSRP.) How you ask? In California, I used my membership with COSTO to get the best deal possible.

So far I'm very pleased. I thought about waiting for Ford, but decided what the heck. Happy shopping.

Louie
    I forgot to add the running boards, I got those too.
  • pumpcopumpco Member Posts: 1
    Has any one driven the 4x2 limited edition
    nissan frontier.The sales person said it looks and rides like the 4x4 xe.I am interested in the
    full load standard,yellow in color.
    I was also quoted 22850 canadian dollars.
    Has anyone seen or driven this pick-up?
    I would like to hear your comments.
    Just got my SE 4x4 CC, and it was worth the wait. Initial dealer couldn't find one, or another dealer willing to part with one. So, I had to start over, and good thing I did. I started off wanting a certain config, but slowly settled for less as it became apparent that the truck is hard to find. I gave up limited-slip, bed liner, colors, SE for a XE, etc. But when I called a certain dealer just over the state line, the saleswoman I got found one within an hour, with all that stuff, plus the bed extender, which is much nicer in person (you have to see it). And to top it all off, I got it for 500 over invoice(good considering the availability), and did the deal all over the phone. I find it much easier to deal over the phone, once you're there, it's a different story. Good luck to all!!! Excellent truck Nissan!!
  • blkccblkcc Member Posts: 3
    Just recently picked up a black 4x2 SE CC...waited over two months for it! I have two words for it...LOVE IT! Anybody who is waiting for one...be patient...you won't be disappointed! Just have a question for present owners though...has anyone else noticed that their bed shakes quite a bit over even slightly rough roads? I've never noticed that much shaking on a truck bed before, my dad and a few of my friends have trucks and theirs don't shake as much as mine does. Is this normal?
    I've been driving mine around for about one week now. I've gone over all kinds of roads. While I definitly feel the truck like drive, I haven't noticed my bed shaking like you describe. I would suggest taking it back to the dealer for a look over. Something may be loose.
    IS THE NOISE A RATTLE? DO YOU HAVE A BED LINER? BED EXTENDER? I have both, and have heard some noise back around the bed area. I finally realized that it was the extender vibrating/bouncing a bit when going over bumps. The Nissan Frontier Crew Cab is a solid winner.

ENJOY THE RIDE!
  • blkccblkcc Member Posts: 3
    The bed doesn't make a noise when it shakes. When I look out the drivers side rearview mirror, while going over a rough surface, I can see that the whole box is shaking (watch the top of the bed rail as well as the fender flair). Maybe shaking is not the right word...jiggles? It's not a big movement, but you can clearly see that it's moving seperate from the cab. I guess maybe there's some flex in the frame or something. Whatever the case, I think all trucks do it!...I just thought mine seemed to be a little excessive.
    Leer should be coming out with the CC cap for Nissans for the first week in October. About two to three weeks delivery at about $795 up here in New England. Anybody seen others??
    If the movement in the back really bothers you , have it checked out at the dealer. The frame shouldn't have any flex. There are liquid filled rubber cushions where the body and frame come together. That joint cushion may cause some jiggle/bobble. I feel as though the box area is lighter, therefore more suseptable to road shock. I see if my truck does the same thing, but in the meantime inspect the bed and under carrage yourself, it may just be normal?
  • casolarocasolaro Member Posts: 4
    The are available here in southern California for $1000 out the door painted to match fiberglass.
  • ml4232ml4232 Member Posts: 1
    but am afraid how is going to handle a boat in ramp,can you give me some info, have a 19 footer with a 150 hp,do you think need more weight in the rear axle
  • casolarocasolaro Member Posts: 4
    If the 60/40 split bench is available in the standard 2000 Frontier, why not the CC? That would enable you to have 6 people fit in if necessary. According to the literature I received from my Nissan dealer, the front seat is available in Bucket Seats or 60/40 bench so why not the CC?
    I have a 17' Xpress bass boat with an 85hp and my Crew Cab handles the job with no problem. In and out of the boat ramp no problem. A 19" with a 150hp is a lot more weight and with that, the tongue weight should provide good traction for the rear tires. Depending on how steep the ramp grade is, I would definitely use L2 or L1 to pull the boat out of the water this way you won't spin your tires on the wet ramp. Backing-in that size boat would have to take some care so the truck won't loose traction. I've seen bigger boats drag vehicles skidding down the ramp. Just take it easy and the Crew Cab won't let you down.

Do you have trailer breaks?

Also, the overdrive on/off switch is on the side of the automatic shift handle, turn overdrive off if the truck begins to struggle on hilly roads. It's all in the owner's manual!

Enjoying My Ride!
  • hwrogershwrogers Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know where I can purchase a SE 4 x 4 in south Florida or even Florida. Additionally can anyone advise me on importing from Canada - duties etc. - I will be in Canada in November and if could import easily I would drive one back to Florida - Thanks for your help
  • glenn2glenn2 Member Posts: 39
    went to the dealer in Bangor,Maine. they will sell you a crew cab at list price. big of them. I know the poor guy is barely making it since they have 3 or 4 dealerships. I passed.
  • joejackson5joejackson5 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a CC XE yellow, automatic, and manual everything with the value package. MSRP at
    $22580, got it for $22,100. Love the car, but the purchasing experience was not fun, through Stevens Creek Nissan in San Jose, CA. I think I got taken.
    10/7/99

T.
  • joejackson5joejackson5 Member Posts: 2
    I forgot to mention the above message, my CC is a 4x4, for $22,100.

T.
  • etuffly2etuffly2 Member Posts: 29
    You got taken. I just bought one in Tucson for $250 over invoice. Well over $1,500 off MSRP. Wait til the end of the month and then work the dealer hard. Work one dealer against two or three others and walk out several times. Tell them you ARE going to buy one and that you WILL drive to another town to save a couple hundred bucks. DON'T act anxious. If you're not good at wheeling and dealing, get a friend or family member that is and let them negotiate for you.

I bought one for my wife on the evening of the last day of the month. DON'T let them pressure you. Threaten them with using an auto broker. DON'T let the manager types use any salesman's lines on you. For instance, one of the new car managers told me "You're so close to buying this, why don't you just do it?" I told him "You're so close to selling it, why don't you just do it?" Remember the pressure is on them to sell cars, especially at the end of the month. The competition amongst dealers can be fierce and you'll be surprised at what they'll go for to make a sale. I even got all the "doc" fees for license and title taken off. Edmunds has excellent resources on their web site to help you be informed. Hope this helps someone.
  • johnlevyjohnlevy Member Posts: 1
    It took almost a month to do but my wife and I just took delivery of our CC yesterday. It is a 4X4 SE Auto with Power Package and Sport Package and the dealer had to swap for it with a dealer in North Carolina. We are in Phila., PA. We did not get a great deal and in fact really didn't expect to. We had three dealers searching for one of these and only one was willing to go out of their way to find and get the unit. They were the dealer referred to us by Auto-By-Tel. The other two said maybe in a couple of months or order one and get it in 90 days maybe. The truck is charcoal and we added a leather interior to it. Now we have another long wait for the paint matched fiberglass cover for the bed we have ordered. There have been a couple of disappointments but they have been minor and they only pertain to getting the truck. We have no disappointments with the truck itself so far. It rides great and the sound system is unreal. One annoyance is that the CC does NOT have the passenger side air bag off switch. We have two youngsters and the oldest is 8. She really wanted to be able to ride in the front seat. The dealer is looking into the possibility of installing it there but probably won't be able to. Before purchasing this truck we had done some investigating and this forum was a big help in the decision making process. Thanks to all who have written before and to anyone who is looking for a great truck try this one. I don't think that you will be disappointed.

Comments johnlevy@voicenet.com
  • baldwin53baldwin53 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have any information about if/when Toyota is planning on introducing a crew cab version of the Tacoma?
  • gregmastergregmaster Member Posts: 2
    Can those of you who have bought a new Frontier Crew Cab 2000 tell me if your A/C compressor cycles on the coldest setting? My dealer has told me this is the design. I live in Texas, and it is unacceptable for the A/C temp inside the cab to fluctuate 8 degrees every 30 seconds for 10+ seconds. He says this is the only Nissan vehicle that is designed like this. The Maxima, for instance, stays constantly cold, and does not cycle on the coldest setting.
  • gregmastergregmaster Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know if there is an aftermarket lock for the Bed Extender?
  • louies1louies1 Member Posts: 1
    Your final numbers were right on. Although, I did get the running boards and an electric sunroof installed as well. The final went up about 400. more. (I don't have the contract in front of me) I still beat the MSRP though and am totally pleased with the truck.
  • bradyhomebradyhome Member Posts: 1
    In San Jose I was offered invoice + 5% for an 4x2 SE crew cab, auto trans with power pkg.

If they have them on the lot then they're not too popular to get at lower price (eg around 3% - 5%) over invoice.
  • janis2janis2 Member Posts: 7
    I bought my truck in August. cc 4x4 se, I love it but the stirring wheel rattles in the middle where the air bag/horn is located. I have complained to the dealer and they say "nothing is wrong with it". Does anybody else have this problem? Thanks Janis2
  • buddy24buddy24 Member Posts: 3
    In Oklahoma I just bought cc with almost all the
    options for 20,000. Power package, automatic, etc.
    Consider looking in another area as these haven't
    caught on everywhere. I just put 6.000 trouble
    free miles on it and feel they are worth the price
    you have been quoted.
    Would appreciate any legitimate responses about any
    brake problems any CC owners may be experiencing.
    I have had mine to the dealer three times in the
    first 6,000 miles. I have already had the rear pads replaced under warranty.
    posts 209 and 210 are both mine. I am a happy
    cc owner . The second post is for a friend who purchased his truck at the same time and drove
    to California with me. Thanks for pointing out the
    inconsistency.
  • jlee7jlee7 Member Posts: 25
    well, was that for the SE or the XE? if its SE, then, heck take it! that sounds like a killer deal! but if it's for the XE, then its a good deal. i figured +5% over invoice for a SE, 4x2, pwr. pkg, extender and mats to be $20701 BEFORE taxes, lic. and doc. fees. but, if that's out the door, it must be for an XE. again, sounds pretty good. see if you can hold out and maybe they'll go lower! good luck.
This discussion has been closed.