Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda3

Comments

• sschaffersschaffer Member Posts: 80
    Are you going to be paying for maintenance and repairs or is dad gonna pick up the bills?

BMW may be the ultimate driving machine but maintenance and repair costs are stratospheric compared to more humble stuff like the Mazda 3, and starting at 45k miles with no warranty vs 0 miles with 5 year 48k mile warranty makes a big difference.

The service mgr at the Toyota dealership where I work has an out-of-warranty 3 series BMW that she'd dearly love to get rid of due to outrageous upkeep costs.,
  • jonnyjonny Member Posts: 4
    Recently got quoted the following, (Canadian Prices)

Mazda 3 GT Sedan (automatic)
    6500 down
    Financing over 5 yrs 3.9%

Monthly: 370.71
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    The 3's warranty is four years, not five. If you need a long warranty, there are better options than the 3.

If dad is nice enough to give you a BMW, he's certainly going to help with repairs should they be neeed, right? :)
  • autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    HI Jonny, It would be much easier to respond if you gave a few more numbers, like selling price, discount and out the door price. The monthly financing amount can be very deceiving. Besides automatic are there any other options?

Mazda 3 GT Sedan (automatic)
    C$6500 down
    C$370.71 x 60 (5 yrs @ 3.9%)
  • beta23beta23 Member Posts: 15
    yea im pretty sure he'll help me out with the maintenance
  • waygrabowwaygrabow Member Posts: 214
    The May C & D has an article on the new VW Jetta. As a part of the article they include graphs comparing the Jetta, Cobalt LS, Impreza 2.5RS, and Mazda3. Interestingly, the Mazda3 has the best fuel economy, best roadholding, best braking, best acceleration, and is the second least expensive. Looks like the Mazda3 wins this one.
  • ikeedumikeedum Member Posts: 10
    ...when you start the Mazda3? Just curious, but has anyone done this or know if it is possible? It would be cool to personalize it. .
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Almost chat time again! Find a friend to bring along tonight! See you shortly!!

PF Flyer
    Host
    News & Views, Wagons, & Hybrid Vehicles

The Mazda Mania Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    No luck with a response a week ago, so here goes ...

In the manual it states that "some models" have a low washer-fluid light and a cabin air filter. Do any of you long-time 3 owners know if this is standard equipment on a Mazda3S?

Meade
  • mmoy720mmoy720 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking into buying a Mazda SP23 sedan with additional features of power moonroof and security package. I qualify for the Mazda's X-plan so the dealer quoted me @ $21,006 +taxes, tags and fee. Has anyone gotten anything better? Also, any downfalls to the SP23?

thanks.
  • cticti Member Posts: 131
    I believe the SP23 has the cabin air-filter. don't know about the low washer fluid light.

Jason
  • relentless3relentless3 Member Posts: 4
    After posting under prices paid on April 2, 2005, the topic seems to be closed. Does anyone know why no one else is commented on the prices th :) ey have paid for their Mazda 3 s ! It seems odd to me, that is usually the most commented on topic for every car make. We love our new Mazda 3s, with automatic. We ended up paying $16200!!!, after the dealer got the Mazda rep to honor a loyalty rebate I received in Dec. that expired ion Feb 28 2005. Relentless3
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    It's not closed ... yes, no one has posted in about two weeks, but that's not a very long time. Why not share your purchase experience there?
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
  • kappajenkappajen Member Posts: 11
    I was wondering if anyone could explain the AT on the 3 for me. I test drove one yesterday and was wondering what the M+ means? It was almost like I was driving manually sort of. I had to shift the lever down to switch gears? I 've never driven a AT like this before. Just curious. If anyone has any insight for me that would be great. Thanks alot.
    wondering what the M+ means? It was almost like I was driving manually sort of. I had to shift the lever down to switch gears? I 've never driven a AT like this before
    Sometimes called Manumatic or Automatic Sport mode, these are automatic transmissions that allow you to use manual gear shifting without the use of a clutch. The clutch is engaged by a third pedal (in addition to the brake and accelerator pedal); many North Americans consider using the manual with a clutch to switch gears to be inconvenient (especially in stop and go traffic) and hence prefer automatic gear shifts. The stick-guys and gals (people who like manual stick shifting) swear by them, and think the manumatics at best a compromise (and many would say, a poor compromise) and at worst a waste of money. I drive an automatic and like the idea of a manumatic, although I must agree with other people in this forum, that the thrill of using a manumatic would likely fade quickly. There is lots written on the topic in this and other forums.
    The M+ and M- indicate upshifts and downshifts in Manual mode, respectively. You are not suppose to hold it forward (downshift) or to the back (upshift), just push it in the direction and leave it centered. The gear it is in is indicated by a large number on the instrument panel in the LCD display. One of the advantages to the Manual mode is being able to put it in a lower gear going down steap grades or climbing mountain roads. Left in Drive the AT can go back and forth between 3rd and 4th, called "hunting" for the best gear. It also provides some sporty shifting at times, such as holding 3rd gear when accelerating from a standing start. ;) It isn't meant for fulltime use, if that's what you like buy an MT car.

Some of the first "automatics" had clutchles shifting, you still shifted gears but there was no clutch pedal. I had a 1954 Plymouth with that type of AT.

fowler3
  • jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    "Some of the first "automatics" had clutchless shifting, you still shifted gears but there was no clutch pedal. I had a 1954 Plymouth with that type of AT."

VW also had one on the Beetle in the late 60's.(68 or 69 if I remember correctly). It was a floor shift, and the clutch was electrically operated by the knob on top of the stick shift. Pushing it down engaged the clutch.

I remember a road test by Motor Trend where they commented that they were in gear, and ready to drive away with their hand on the stick, and the car wouldn't move. They threw their hands up in disgust, and the car lurched forward. (I now suspect this was literary license....I was 16 or 17 years old and very in awe of what those road testers wrote...) LOL.
    Thank you so much. So, can you shut off the manual option? Just one more question. Since I've never driven stick, what is the right way to shift? I had my foot on the gas as I did it. Hopefully I didn't do any damage!! Does this transmission get better gas mileage than the regular auto?
    what is the right way to shift? I had my foot on the gas as I did it. Hopefully I didn't do any damage!! Does this transmission get better gas mileage than the regular auto?

This is a pretend manual in that the car lets you choose at which point you can upshift but protects you from some bad choices. Suggestion: why not call your salesman and ask him/her to show you how to use the shifter? It would take 15 minutes (or a half hour if its a slow period in the sales department).

Driving schools give short sessions on usving manual transmissions but I wouldn't do that unless I was planning to buy a real one.

I wouldn't expect anything more than the average mileage of an automatic; if you do better than that you'll have something to smile about.
    Thank you!
    "Thank you so much. So, can you shut off the manual option?"

To return to automatic, or standard Drive, just move the lever to the right into the Drive slot. It's all very easy to do, after a while you should be selecting the Manual side without thinking about it, when you need it. Salesmen say to NOT hold the lever when in Manual, leave it centered. This is probably the main difference between true stick shifting and the AT. Many stick drivers like to keep their hand on the shift lever ready to downshift at any moment. They have to in slow city driving between traffic lights. If you live where there are many twisty roads and highways you might enjoy a stick shift car, for mostly city driving the manumatic is a better idea. The manumatic fuel economy will be the same as with any automatic and may be better than a stick shift in city driving since many drivers are usually in the wrong gear at the wrong time, which burns more gas.

For example, I have a 2001 Mazda Protegé 2.0L which is rated at 30mpg highway, but gets 36mpg on trips I have made. The EPA fuel economy ratings are low because the EPA uses outdated test procedures. The mpg you will get depends on how you drive as well as the kind of gear shifter you buy.

fowler3
  • ed10ed10 Member Posts: 1
    Do anyone know what date Mazda started to produce 2005 mazda 3 gs in Japan?
  • etacketack Member Posts: 22
    When I was looking at Subaru Imprezas, the reason I wouldn't buy an Outback Sport was because of the stupid logo on the side. I hate that thing.
  • maxx5maxx5 Member Posts: 3
    Currently looking at a Mazda3, Corolla and Acord4. A couple (actually more than 2) of questions which I would bother asking the salesman with :

1. I see from the specs that the 2.3 has an aluminum block- how about the 2.0L

2. I presume that the exhaust is all stainless- I didn't see a mention of that in the specs like I see for the Corolla. I have kind of gotten used to not changing the exhaust every few years after owning a Camry.

3. Any complaints from 2.0 L owners on power. We are stuck with an auto for various reasons, tried the 2.0 and the 2.3 out and found the 2.3 to less than smooth in the city and bit buzzy on the highway.

Cheers,
    Al
  • waygrabowwaygrabow Member Posts: 214
    Sorry you are stuck with an automatic trans. I have almost 20K miles on my 2.3 MT and have not noticed it to be "buzzy" on the highway or "less than smooth" in the city. Many contributors here have remarked that the 2.3 engine is extremely quiet at idle, and underway it is hard to tell if the car is in 4th or 5th gear because the engine is so quiet and uncomplaining. Perhaps the automatic is not so smooth.

When I looked at what options were available, the base 2.3 model had most of what I wanted at about the same price as a 2.0 model with equivalent options added. I have been experiencing gas mileage of 36-38 mpg and wonder if the 2.0 engine really can be expected to do much better than that?
    Autoweek reviewed the Mazda3 a few months ago, and I just read the review. The following line caught my eye:

Mazda plans call for a three-door, wagon and convertible 3, and MazdaSpeed, MPS and all-wheel-drive versions available by the end of calendar year 2005.

A Mazda3 convertible??? :shades:

Let it happen! Then watch Honda and Toyota go :cry: !!!

Meade
    I am wondering why Mazda would do a wagon version of the 3 when they have the Mazda5 coming out in a few weeks... unless that is the wagon version of the 3?
    Could be. Makes sense to me at least.

Meade
    Isn't the Mazda3 hatch (or 5 door) a "wagon" as the Protege 5 was?
    Think wagon as in Mazda6 wagon--which is different from the Mazda6 hatchback. A true wagon would have a longer space behind the rear seats than does the Mazda3s 5-door. Another example is the Focus wagon vs. hatchback.
  • kronogoosekronogoose Member Posts: 116
    mdaffron:

Do you have a link to the article? I couldn't find it when I searched the Autoweek website.

I've heard about the Mazdaspeed3 (and I can't wait) but I thought AWD would not be available for the 3. The wagon/five-door version of the 3 already exists, doesn't it? Are they possibly referring to the Mazda5 which is a crossover minivan-type vehicle?

A convertible version would be cool, I guess it would compete with VW's cabriolet.
    Why soitanly!!!

(Is is the first article to come up when you type "Mazda3" into Autoweek's search engine.)

http://www.autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=406

Meade
    Thanks for the link, Meade! This article was dated 10/06/2003...I assume ,since I saw the same quote regarding models expected by end of CY05, that it is the article refered to above.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    I would sure be interested in a 3 wagon. The hatch has too little cargo space, and the 5 is not efficient and the seating does not work well for my family.
  • klj2041klj2041 Member Posts: 10
    I'm a soon to be college grad, and am planning on buying an '04 3i AT sedan mid-June. I can get one for just under 15k (power and 16" wheels, a/c pkg), with a similar number of miles, which seems like a decent price for this car (but then again I am only footing 10k of the bill). I would like a couple opinions from some current 3 owners. First, is the a/c really that bad? How about the heating? I live in North Dakota, so a/c is only an issue for maybe 3 months out of the year. How is it on snow? I find it hard to imagine it would bad enough to decide against this car...but who knows. btw, I think I heard that the 05 models were better in snow but this is not an option for me right now. :(
  • maxx5maxx5 Member Posts: 3
    Not me that needs the auto, its my wife. Would prefer a 2.3 MT. The mileage specs on the MT seem to be much better than the Auto. The mileage that some seem to be getting in the 2.3 Auto don't seem to be much better than my V6Camry.
    I was so excited about buying a mazda (2004, i model), but after reading back through 6 months of posts....it has me really concerned and looking to toyota and honda. Probs with a/c, heater blowing snow into car, bad on ice/snow, excessive fogged up widows in winter, questionable rotor wear etc. Maybe buying a first year model run is not such a good idea after all :( It is too bad b/c this is my first pick otherwise...love the styling!!

Any thoughts????
  • gambit293gambit293 Member Posts: 406
    Why are you so set on a 2004? Why not 2005?
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    Well, got a notice today that Consumer Reports is again reversing its decisions....they now recommend the Mazda3....details in the June issue.
    Yes, but it's the check-mark recommendation vs. the check-mark-in-a-little-circle recommendation. :confuse: The difference is the performance on crash tests.
    Consumer Reports http://www.consumerreports.org has a new two tier list of vehicle recommendations and the Mazda 3 fits the first tier of recommended vehicles ... vehicles must perform well in our testing; have average or better reliability; and, if crash-tested, provide good overall crash protection, based on our composite of insurance-industry and government crash tests. Models that have not been crash-tested can earn only a first-tier recommendation. Vehicles also must not have tipped up in the government's rollover test. this will solve the problem of having cars that have not been fully tested (by IIHS). Once the IIHS retests the Mazda 3 this time with side air bags, it can graduate to the second tier!
    That assumes the 3 gets a passable score on the IIHS side test with side bags/curtains. As we have seen, side bags and curtains are no guarantee of that--but there's a much better chance with them than without them.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    I should have details on the 2006 model anytime....stay tuned.
    I would love to buy an 05...but I am a new college grad and unless parents (or me i suppose) will cough up more dough I don't really have a choice. 15k is pretty much the limit; and AT, power/wheels package and a/c are must-haves. Are the 05's more problem free? If that was the case....well maybe I will be able to figure something out. Maybe I will just have to wait longer than I thought for a newer car :cry:
  • anon70anon70 Member Posts: 82
    I just bought my Mazda 3i automatic and skimmed through the manual. I have a few questions:

1) Edmunds says the curb weight is 2696 lbs (manual tranny?), but the car manual says it's 3794lbs (1100 lbs heavier)?

2) The car manual doesn't say how often to change the transmission fluid (schedule 1). When does it need to be flushed?

3) Does the Mazda 3i have a time belt or a timing chain? When does it need to be changed?

Thx
    anon70: I don't own a Mazda3, own a Protegé, but from what others havve said here and elsewhere:

1) The weight must be wrong or a misprint! Check the Mazdausa.com website for true weights.

2) The transmission fluid is usually changed at the 60,000 mile check.

3) The Mazda3s has a timing chain and I assume the 2.0L engine does also.

fowler3
    a 2005 M3 is a very possible option now...Yahoo! Or, maybe I should say 'zoom zoom' :) Anyone have experience with this car, specifically 3i model they could share? Good or bad I want to know all I can. Opinions on the ABS/SAB/SAB package? Is it worth the $$? I am leaning toward skipping it...seems like a plenty safe car the way it is. Thanks!
  • anon70anon70 Member Posts: 82
    thx for pointing me to mazdausa for specs. the car manual is wrong. curb weight is 2,738 lbs for 3i automatic.

automatic tranny only weighs 40lbs more than manual tranny?