Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda3

Comments

• autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    A simple fix: buy seat covers. My 4 year old pair are holding up well and the seats look as good as new. :)
  • luvmbootyluvmbooty Member Posts: 271
    3i Touring: Power windows, one-touch power window (driver), outside driver and passenger rear view mirrors, 16" tires, alloy wheels, optional sunroof, cruise control, external temperature, and 2 extra speakers, not sure if air conditioning is optional or standard. Base MSRP:$15,990, Invoice:$14,975

3i: all manual features, 15" tires, steel wheels, optional air conditioning Base MSRP:$13,710, Invoice:$12,848.

A difference of $2,280 on sticker price, is it worth it?
  • dc_driverdc_driver Member Posts: 712
    In my opinion, the 3i Touring is well worth it. Good luck selling a car that has mostly manual features down the road. Air conditioning lists at $880 on 3i, and it is packaged with the Touring model. So the difference in price is much more narrow than $2200..
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I got my first close-up look at the '07 3i Touring today. It was the only 3i on the lot, silver with automatic and safety package. I really like the new front fascia and grille and the blacked-out taillamps. I actually prefer the old 5-spoke 16" alloys to the new, fancier alloys, but they are OK. I guess the cloth (black) is different but I didn't notice a huge difference. Otherwise I didn't notice any changes in the interior, although there is an aux jack someplace. Was there a rear center armrest in the '06 3i? I didn't think it had one. The '07 does.

I think the car would be especially sharp (BMW-esque even) in grey with the tan interior. (There were no tan interiors on the lot though.) The dealer told me they will not be ordering any 3i's with the new grey interior, but could special order one if someone wants it.
  • uglybeanuglybean Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know if I can put an O.E 17 inch wheels from a 2005 Mazda3 onto my 2006 Mazda3i sedan? I currently have the stock 15" wheels. Is there anything special I would need to install the tires? I'm thinking about buying a set from someone. Your thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    Should fit without any problem -

The i model has the 16 inch wheels as an option - which was the same wheel that was standard on the S model - and the 17 was optional - logicly it should fit.

The 15 inch will not fit on the S model because of a brake clearance issue. I think the lug nuts may be different - but am not sure about that.
  • sir_timbitsir_timbit Member Posts: 39
    I posted this on the Mazda Canada forum, but it applies here too, so...

http://media.ford.com/mazda/article_display.cfm?article_id=24253&make_id=227

NO MAZDA VEHICLES ON CAR-CARRYING VESSEL COUGAR ACE WILL BE SOLD AS NEW

Irvine, California - Mazda North American Operations (MNAO) has announced that Mazda vehicles aboard the Cougar Ace ship, which ran into trouble on July 23, 2006 off the Alaskan coast and listed over 60 degrees, will not be sold as new vehicles.

"While we do not, at this time, know the full extent of the damage to vehicles on board, none of the Mazdas will be sold as new," said Jim O'Sullivan, president and CEO of MNAO. "It is possible that those vehicles which are undamaged or repairable will be made available for sale as used cars through Mazda's dealer network in the U.S. and Canada. We will only be in a position to decide on any used car sales once the vessel has been unloaded and each unit comprehensively inspected. Those beyond repair will be immediately scrapped."

The company says that in the interest of transparency and customer peace of mind, it will post the vehicle identification numbers (VINs) of vehicles destined for sale on its consumer Web sites, at www.mazdaUSA.com and www.Mazda.ca, to avoid any confusion as to which vehicles were on the ship. Slightly more than half the cars involved are Mazda3s, and about one-quarter are CX-7s. The vehicles were headed to the ports of Vancouver, and to Tacoma and Hueneme in the U.S.

The Cougar Ace sailed from Japan to North America with just over 4,700 Mazda vehicles aboard; an issue during a routine ballast-water change caused her to list. All 23 crew members were rescued by the U.S. Coast Guard.
  • mrblonde49mrblonde49 Member Posts: 626
    Sounds reasonable to me....
  • austinman7austinman7 Member Posts: 313
    I realize there's a separate thread for the hatchback, but the 4-door is probably the car I'll wind up buying, so please bear with me.

I drove an 07 hatchback yesterday, in the early evening when I would normally turn on the headlights for safety. I had trouble seeing the speedometer and tachometer, even with the instrument lighting all the way up. Turn the headlights off, and it was fine.

Is this something that can't be adjusted? Also, I didn't try just turning on the parking lights -- do the instrument lights stay brighter when you do that?

Also -- it appears from the Edmunds True Market Value page that the Mazda3 is selling with very little discount right now. Maybe $50 to $100. Has that been the experience of any of you who have purchashed one recently?

I'm looking at a manual transmission 3, and I'll have to say, the one I drove was very slick -- easy clutch and shifter, good pull from the 2.3 engine. But I think the 4-door will suit me better than the hatch. I'm going to drive one soon, when they have one in stock. Dealers in my area right now are very low on 3 models.

Thanks for any insights any of you can give me.
  • davesbrewdavesbrew Member Posts: 45
    I've got a 06 GT sedan, and there's a button on the dash at the top of the instrument panel that turns on the instrument lights to full even when the headlights are on. There's also a roller dimmer on the left side of the steering wheel.

The only problems with the lights I've noted are:
    1. there doesnt seem to be any way to adjust the sensitivity of the auto headlights.
    2. It would be nice if the auto headlights would be tied to the wipers, and go on when the wipers are on.
    3. when using the instrument-light-on-switch (dont know the proper name, but its the thing i described above) it would be nice if it was also tied to the day/night setting on the nav system.

Pretty nitpicky, isnt it? That goes to show you what a great car it is when the problems (tweaks really,) are such minor details.
    Dave,
    Does your state mandate daylight running lights? Here in Canada, the lights on vehicles are always "on" at low level until you switch them to full power when the instrument cluster also lights up. I believe this small feature has saved countless lives.
    no daytime running lights mandated here in KS (or OK, MO, or TX for that matter). Vehicles with them tend to get insurance discounts though. I agree that it's not a bad idea to have them be required, but I havent heard any strong arguments ot the contrary yet either.

On the same subject, I say Ford announced all their vehicles will come with stability control standard in a few years. The article mentioned that it was in anticipation of expected pending legislation requiring it in all vehicles sold in the US. In fact, stability control (and the mp3 jack) are the sole reasons I wish I had waited to get an 07 MAZDA3 rather than an 06. Hopefully, it'll still do ok when the snow hits.
    ...stability control standard ...
    Some things, like safety items, make sense to be mandated. Not only do they get cheaper as they're applied to every vehicle, but they also save lives and prevent serious injuries.
    davesbrew,

Thanks for the info. I did roll the dimmer roller all the way on, but the lighting was still very dim. I wasn't aware of the button you mention, and neither was the salesperson. I'll have to try it again.

You sound pretty satisfied. That's good to hear. If you don't mind my asking, what are the things you like best about the car?
    Well, the level of luxury in a loaded gt is the biggest perk for me, as you don't find the same equipment on many cars until you get in the 30k range (rain sensing wipers, auto xenon headlights, bose, leather, seat warmers, nav.) It makes it feel like you have more car for the money. The handling is great for a small car, and the level of power is about as good as you'll find in this level of car. It's a good (but not great) commuter, as gas mileage is good, but not great. I wish the back seat was a little larger, but that's again more an issue with the class of car rather than the 3 in particular.
    I drove the gamut of good-reviewed-cars before deciding on the 3. (subie impreza, cooper s and base, jetta in 2 varieties, civic, and even a dealer demo loaded mazda6 that was priced barely more than my 3, and a couple others that i'm forgetting). the 3 was the most balanced, highest feature content, and best performing of the bunch. I checked out the TCO, and consumer reports reliability rankings, and it was strong in both of those too. My #2 choice was the Civic because if it's incredible mpg, but it simply lacks power in comparison to the 3. not nearly as fun to drive.

So to summarize, the zoom-zoom beat the civic in my book.
    I see Mazda has updated their webpage for the 2007 Mazda 3s, but I can't find any info on either one (U.S. and Canada) that says if stability control is offered, even as an option. I was sure I read about it here before, but they don't list it on their safety features. Anyone know for sure? Anyone? Beuller? :-)
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    I can't find any info on either one (U.S. and Canada) that says if stability control is offered,

In the US...the 's' touring and GT come with traction/stability as a no charge feature.
  • mpg60mpg60 Member Posts: 71
    Hi,

On the mazda website under the 3 look under overview, then under the link titled 4 wheel disc brakes. It mentions standard stability control/traction control as standard on s and gt models
    davesbrew,

Thanks for your summary. I'm looking at the 3 primarily as a fun car to drive at a reasonable price. The very smooth clutch and shifter on the manual are strong points for me, as are the steering and handling, plus the overall design integration -- they get a lot into a small package. Probably the s Sport has everything I want -- the larger engine, mainly. When I drove a 6, the only real drawback was road noise. I don't seem to notice that as much in the 3 sedan. The 3 manual does rev about 3,000 at 70 mph, which is higher than my Honda, but I suppose it's designed to run that way. Do you have an automatic, and does it rev any lower?

I have an '04 Accord 4 cyl. automatic now, a very competent car, but kind of dull to drive. The new Honda Fit looks interesting to me also, but there's very little availability.
  • mydj2000mydj2000 Member Posts: 1
    I want a Mazda3 but need somebody to explain the differences between the i sport & i touring models. I can see the difference in pricing. Been reading other user reviews, fuel economy n smooth drive were mentioned. Need advise on what to watch out for. The car will be used mostly for city driving with occasional long drives.

Help pls.
    I must be blind, because I looked in the Overview section and still don't see any information about Stability Control....Odd! I don't even see ABS listed there, although I know that is certainly included on the higher end models. Oh well, thanks for the info.
    I didnt see it in the overview either. It is there though in the official press release: http://media.ford.com/products/presskit_display.cfm?vehicle_id=1400&press_subsec- tion_id=421&make_id=227
    under the heading "High levels of safety"
    DSC and traction control are "available" on the S models.
  • mpg60mpg60 Member Posts: 71
    Hi,

Did you scroll down on the down arrow on the description of the feature I mentioned. DSC/TSC are listed at the bottom of the down arrow. Look again. It is there. I promise you. :). Again, click on overview, then performance, then 4 wheel disc brakes. You should see on the right a orange bar with an up and down arrow. Go all the way to the bottom.
  • hallerhaller Member Posts: 1
    I looked for the reference to DSC and Traction for the last week on the Mazda USA website and did not find it. I did find a 2007 GT model in inventory and using the shopping tools to search dealer inventory displayed the sticker for the car and there DSC is list listed, clear as day. DSC is a big sales feature for me and I would think it would be easier to find but it is stated to definitely on a 2007 Model in inventory.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    It is crazy that they hide it that way...

Go to "Build your own"... then select " s touring "

You'll see it under vehicle features on the right-hand side...

Build your Own

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• waygrabowwaygrabow Member Posts: 214
    I love my Mazda3S but have decided to sell it.... today I took delivery of a Mazdaspeed6. The Mz3 has been a great car; wonderful handling, very reliable, 35+ mpg (840 miles and 22.9 gallons last two fill-ups), but last week when I took it in for an oil change I went out to look at cars on the lot instead of just sitting in the waiting lounge. Well, that Mazdaspeed caught my eye. I think I am going to love it even more. Like the AWD, higher level of finish. doesn't diminish the 3... just a different concept.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    I looked at several 3's on the mazdausa.com inventory search feature. Found DSC listed on s touring models also and did not see it listed on any of the s sport models.
  • 2zmax2zmax Member Posts: 140
    My OEM's are almost worn out on my 3S P205/50V17.
    Any suggestions on the replacements?
    Thanks in advance!
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    Maybe more than you want to know - I am a tire nut (per my wife).

I put a set of Kumho ASX on my Mazda3 - but went up a size to 215 50 17 - its been a while so I don't recall every detail - but do know the 205 50 17 Kumho ASX is smaller in diameter that a 205 50 17 Goodyear. The 215 50 17 is just a hair larger in width & diameter than the stock RSA but have had not issues with rubbing and have checked the speedo with my hand held GPS and it is right on. How can this be possible if its a bigger tire? My guess is the slightly softer sidewall of the Kumho reduces the diameter - or increases the number of revolutions the tire must turn.

The Kumho does have a softer sidewall - so it make the ride less bumpy - plus (I assume because of the tread design)much more quiet compared to the Goodyear RSA that came stock.

The rating of the ASX is AA A 420 compared to A A 260 (I think) for the Goodyear.

We have about 4,000 miles on them and the rear tires still have those little nubby things sticking out on the side of the tread - both front and rear still look new. I plan to rotate them this week end. I always do the first rotation early.

I know I must have given up some handlig at the limit - but have never noticed it.

The Kumho were just over $400 installed at Discount Tire - compared to almost $700 for a set of Goodyear RSA.
  • 2zmax2zmax Member Posts: 140
    Thanks Z71bill;
    I've checked on tirerack and Kumho ECSTA ASX comes in 205/50WR17 - tirerack recommends these as best sellers and they are $89.00/each vs. 179/each for the original Goodyears.
    I am not sure why there is such a huge difference in price.
    Does any one lese have Kuhmo ASX tires that have let's say 20,000+ miles that can share their experiences?
    Thanks
  • iwantacar1iwantacar1 Member Posts: 17
    Hello:
    I am trying to decide whether I should get a 4Dr i touring auto or s touring auto. I test drove both of them back to back. The problem is that I drove them on a very windy day. I noticed noise on highway from both cars. I don't know whether both have good insulation? I intend to get an i touring since it is about $2000 cheaper, and it is easier to get (without moonroof option). I wonder if any of you have any suggestions or experience of big difference between i touring and s touring? Thanks
  • dc_driverdc_driver Member Posts: 712
    I still have the OEM's on my 06 3, but have purchased Kumho tires in the past for a 2002 Nissan Altima SE. On that car, the Kumho's were a big step up over the OEM Bridgestone tires that came with the car. They had better traction, were less noisy, and the car handled better. Best of all, is that you cannot beat the price. I would definitely recommend Kumho tires and will most likely replace my OEM 3's tires with them when it is time.
  • allfiredupallfiredup Member Posts: 736
    I bought my 3 last December and had to make the same decision- i Touring or s/s Touring model. I finally decided that the 5-door was the most practical choice and it's only available in the 's' model.

I test drove several different variations including i Touring manual, s manual, and s automatic. I ultimately decided on the manual s Touring (again, in the 5-door) because the 2.3 felt significantly stronger than the 2.0. The 17" wheel/tire package was the clencher for me also.

The true price difference between the i Touring and s Sport is only about $700. The s Sport adds the 2.3L/5-speed auto, nicer interior fabric, leather steering wheel and shifter and a few convenience items. Money well spent, in my opinion.

I also noticed you mention that the i Touring is easier to find equipped the way you want (no moonroof). I was having a similar problem locating the color I wanted (Titanium Gray) in the s 5-door with manual transmission and NO other options. Everything close had leather, sunroof, etc.

I used the mazdausa website to search inventory and just started emailing dealers every time I found a match. Within three days, I had a great offer on the exact vehicle I wanted and drove 3 hours from Atlanta to Knoxville to pick it up. Mine stickered for $18k and change and I got it for $16k driveout (excluding sales tax paid when I registered the car back in Georgia).

Good luck, hope you find exactly what you're looking for!
  • surhar17surhar17 Member Posts: 5
    Hi, Please help! I'm a 1st time buyer!!

I'm moving to L.A. for a job and either will buy here in Ohio or LA.

Quoted in Ohio $17,318, out-of-door estimate =$18,926.61.

IS out-of-door quote correct? Find any offers in LA similiar? Need to justify driving this to CALI!!!

2007 Mazda3 itouring (autom) w/ ABS and moonroof pkgs, Silvr
  • lateralglateralg Member Posts: 929
    Will California emission requirements allow you to license an Ohio car?
  • surhar17surhar17 Member Posts: 5
    yes, as long as it is originally registered in ohio and brought to cali by an ohio resident it is fine. however, it might be a 50-state emissions certified car like the civic is, then it doesn't matter either way.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    Mazda just announced that all Mazda's aboard the Cougar Ace, including the Mazda3's, will be scrapped, and not sold as used vehicles.
  • pipi_thetapipi_theta Member Posts: 2
    I've just bought a 2007 i Touring 4dr 5MT. (with no extra options)
    The whole buying process was smooth and less than 3 hours.
    I got about $400 below invoice (which is $15723) and the OTD was $16800. The APR for 36 months was 1.9%.
    It seems too smooth.
    Any comments??
  • mazdrvrmazdrvr Member Posts: 112
    Hi, currently I own (but feel like I am owned by) a 01' Protege 2.0 LX sedan... Even though I do have some attachment to her & its not exactly the right time for me to buy a new car, I think I need to. Late this summer I spent about $1700. for repairs, & now, theres going to be about a $1000. more. On top of that there are other issues no one kind the cause of. I have come down to a 07' Honda Civic EX, S sport or S Touring (unless I win alot of $$$). The reasons i'm thinking about the civic is because of the safety, gas mileage (it will very nice when the gas prices rise again), & Hondas known reliability, low cost to own & resale value. I've seen on Edmunds that the 3 has a high true cost to own! So I wanted to hear some feeback from the owners... Your input will so greatly be appreciated!!
    1. Are there any blind spots on the car? (i'm only 5'4")
    2. Is there limited visability w/ the back window w/ its high placement? (occasionally I might have a older family member driving the car).
    3. Honestly how is the gas mileage? (I drive 18 miles one way to work 5-6 days a wk.)
    4. Any known issues?
    other feedback, input?
    *what is the manual's advice for beaking in the new car?
    Thank you!!
  • bigfurbigfur Member Posts: 649
    I have an 07 M3 SGT 5-speed. Blinds spots are not bad in the car, but im not sure how bad they are at your height (im 6ft 5in). I find the visibility out the back to be great, i have never had an issue at all (then again im a lil taller too). I have heard horror storys about the gas mileage of the M3 on here, but most seem to be with the auto tranny. Id say if your gonna go for a M3 get the 5-speed, i average about 28-29 mpg with 50/50 mix diving and about 15 miles to work. Havent had any issues with my car only thing i have done to it so far is add a full K&N typhoon intake.
    Late this summer I spent about $1700. for repairs, & now, theres going to be about a $1000. more.
    What were the repairs from the summer and the ones you are forecasting on your six your old Protege? How many miles on the car?
    I can't remember all the repairs (I tried to block out the $$ I put in) but I redid both back & front brakes... I took my car in because the brakes were squeaking bad already & the found cracks in the rear brake pads; Also, I got a nice Diehard batt put in 3 months ago but recently my car would try to die... They (dealership) checked out the car & also found, both drive belts are coming apart, front struts leaking oil, cracks in timing belt which I changed little over 20k ago + a few other minor things... My Protege is @ about 78,400 mi.
    Thanks for your input! Unfortuately I can't drive a 5 speed... I know its a sad thing! So its just the auto for me.
    I can't remember all the repairs ... brakes ... battery ... drive belts ... front struts ... timing belt ... few other minor things

That's quite a list!

As cars age it's normal that things fall apart and need to be replaced. I guess the painful part is when the repairs come quickly one after another.

If I felt the repairs were part of the normal wear and tear of a six year old car at 80K then I would consider replacing it with a new model of the same brand. If you think otherwise, the Honda may be a better choice. My 2002 Mazda Protege5 with 50K miles has had only a few repairs so far, knock on wood!
    Your right... I guess its to be expected but it sucked when they all one after the next. Get this (this is why I think my car owns me. ha, ha) Things happened the last time when I just received my bonuses from work & now its happening again now its tax time! And thay are all about the same amount I received!
    Plus I want a new car... Its going to be a tough decision between the 2 brands; they both offer good things! Thanks for your feedback!!
    Its going to be a tough decision between the 2 brands
    I like car shopping, comparing features, doing test drives, trying to figure out sales spins. :surprise: There are a lot of great and surprising choices out there; I never thought I would consider a Toyota Camry but it's a great looking car this year and a great value also.

Have fun!
    After a trip to the dealership tonight... I am officially 3 owner! I ended up w/my 2nd choice (I was thinking budget) the S sport in galaxy grey w/the SAB/SAC pkg (which was important to me). Now i'm kinda wishing I would of fought for the Touring (I like the 17" wheels & VSC). I took advantage of the low financing special (60 mo. @ 3.9%). I'm kinda in shock right now that I finally have a new car!
    Thanks everyone for your feedback!!
    I took advantage of the low financing special (60 mo. 3.9%).
    That's a great rate. Are you in Canada or the US? It appears to me that the Canadian financing rates are much better than the American ones.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    According to a radio ad today, that rate (in the U.S.) expires today--as does 1.9% for 36 months and 4.9% for 72 months.
    I am in the U.S.