Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota 4Runner Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• jat2020jat2020 Member Posts: 2
    Want to buy a new 4Runner Sport V6 2WD with only options of a moonroof and alarm system. With $1000 rebate is $26,500 a good place to begin negotiations?
    Please respond! Thanks! :">
  • yaroshyarosh Member Posts: 14
    hi, thanks for your message. i did buy the V-8 and i think it is a very different ride than i had in the SR-5 V-6 i rented last April. it's much, much better. thanks also for the explanation of the 4-wheel drive. couldn't figure it out. i also noticed that it steers very heavy at fast highway speeds, better slow. very counter-intuitive.
  • autonutsautonuts Member Posts: 138
    Can any of you owners give me your opinion on purchasing a nice used 4Runner and are they worth the extra money one pays compared to other competitors? Are there any competitors who are just as good for a lower price? How many miles is "too many" miles when putting one's money out for one of these? I would like to pay not much more than $12,000 for a nice used one. Is this asking too much? Do the 4Runners have timing chains or belts? If I'm stuck getting one with over 100,000mi., what things should I look for? Is the 4wd more or less trouble than a 2wd? Sorry for all the questions but I don't want to make a mistake with this kind of money. Thanks to all of you! :)
  • csmith6csmith6 Member Posts: 4
    Why didn't u buy one in the USA to save money?
  • jmeadjmead Member Posts: 2
    Hey, I just bought an 04 limited, white, v6 w/sunroof,d/d cargo, leather, heated seats, JBL 6 disc 10 speaker sys, 13000 miles, certified 6yr/100,000 mile warranty.
    The dealer agreed to touch up a few paint scratches, that were minor, but i was being picky, threw in the trailer hitch for the tow pkg, full tank o' gas, wash and detail.

$27500 sales price
    5% sales tax =$1375
    no doc fee
    $10.00 tag and title, that's it
    OTD $ 28,885

I just want to know if any of you guys think that was a good deal, please let me know, thanks!
  • mtpulsarmtpulsar Member Posts: 10
    MSRP: $41,511 (includes $565 dest. charge)
    Neg. price: $36,058 + $2,163 (6% NJ sales tax) + $314 ( 4-year registration) + $7.50 (tire tax) + $149 (proverbial doc fee).
    The neg. price includes a $1250 toyota rebate ($1000 for 4Runner, $250 for V8). The doc fee did not bother me since all negotiations were done via email and telephone, and I think I got a great deal.
    OTD: $38,691
  • boog55boog55 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a 04' 4runner SR5 used with 21K miles from dealer for $22,658 plus tax. It appears in great shape and checked out OK on carfax. My question is does anyone know where I can get information concerning all of the options that this vehicle has? I mean most are obvious but some I would have no idea without the original sticker. I thought I might be able to go to Toyota's website and enter my VIN# and find the info but so far I've struck out. Surely this type of information is found somewhere. Any help would be appreciated.
  • ksucat1ksucat1 Member Posts: 2
    Purchased 7/2/05 in Plano, TX

MSRP= $41,202
    Dealer Invoice= $37,381
    Paid= $36,800 + TTL

Took 0% for 60 months in leiu of $1000 rebate.

Options:
    X-REAS
    Side and Curtain Aribags
    Daytime Running Lamps
    JBL 1 Disc
    Extra Mile Option B -> already installed :(
    Rear Spoiler
    Hood Protector
    Glass Break Sensor

Nice new vehicle. Runs and rides great! Can't wait for it to get a little older so I can put it in the mud and see how it does!
  • autonutsautonuts Member Posts: 138
    on post 1045, but never was returned any replies. I found a '99 SR5 4Runner with 83,000mi. It has a sunroof, alloy wheels, auto., v6, 4x4 just to name a few. The glove box is loose and appears to need fixed and the backseat cupholders retainer bracket was broke, but other than some fading of the wood dash is pretty clean. What do you others think of an asking price of $11,250? It seems fair if everything checks out ok for the vehicle inspection. Please give me some opinions. Thanks!
  • woodywwwoodyww Member Posts: 1,806
    You should try posting your question on the "real world trade-in values" forum--use the form provided there with the vehicle info.
  • rob77rob77 Member Posts: 2
    I live in central NJ . I would like to buy 2005 TOYOTA SR5 4X4 V6 .Any good price and dealer advice ???? please
    I got my 4Runner in Northern NJ, but here's what I did:
    I used the advertised pricing in carmax.com as a baseline. I got onto the websites of the dealerships near me to see inventory. Some have very good info, some have "call for details and a quote". I then requested a quote through their website, and was very detailed about what I wanted (color, options). Some will call, some will email. In either case, I explained that the only visit to the delaership I wanted to make was to pick up the car. I wanted ALL the costs up front, and a verbal would be OK. One dealership told me $800 over invoice, 2 sent me a total cost which was a few $100 above invoice, and one called me and offered the car at invoice (less any rebates), if I did the deal by the end of the month. I probably saved $2000 between the high quote ($800 above invoice) and the lowest quote, and no visit to any dealership. BTW: Prestige Toyota (Ramsey, NJ) has an excellent website (inventory has detailed options, MSRP and invoice price)...they were the ones I eventually got the vehicle from. 2 things that I had going for me: no trade-in (thats adds another element to the negotiations) and timing (last few days of the month). Hope this helps.
  • rob77rob77 Member Posts: 2
    I did what you said . I i've got : on TOYOTA 4RUNNER 4X4 SR5
    convenience package (PPO)
    power sunroof
    leather steering wheel
    carpet floor/cargo mats
    alloy wheel locks

MSRP 32,627,INVOICE ?- 29,427..
    They offer me toyota for 29,042 -(rebate $500 or financing through toyota 3.9% )-$400 new grad rebate and financing through toyota 3.9%)
    Is it good deal ?
    I think it is . Please let me know .
    Sounds like it. Bottomline is you saved a considerable amount of money. I like a good deal, but I don't stress over the "absolute best" deal, especially when the difference may only be 1 or 2 hundred $. On a 30K + vehicle, to me, its not worth it. Prestige was very up front and offered me the better deal out of 4 dealers, with no visit, or deposits. Haggling over another few bucks just wasn't worth it. If you are happy with your new 4Runner (I love everything about mine...its my third 4Runner) and you think you got a good deal, then thats whats important.
    Enjoy your new 4Runner.
  • jmeadjmead Member Posts: 2
    Hey was the invisible ink on when i first asked this question???????????
  • ksucat1ksucat1 Member Posts: 2
    Was anybody able to read posting #1057?
    It's just blank on my computer.
  • jami20jami20 Member Posts: 2
    I Just purchased a new '05 Sport V6 MSRP was $31,987 and was able to get it out the door (excluding taxes of $1,400 and tag) for $26,600.

Here is what it came with:

50 State emissions
    Daytime Running Lights
    Power Tilt/Slide Moonroof W/Sunshade
    Rear Spoiler
    Double Decker Cargo System
    Cargo Net
    Adjusting Rear Mirror with Compass

Sport Package (I'm not listing them all out)

Extra Mile Option Package B (includes)
    Cargo Net
    7 Pin to 4 Pin Converter
    Fabric Guard
    Custom Tape Stripe
    First Aid Kit
    Wheel Locks
    Carpet Mat Set (5Pc)
    Rear Cargo Mat
    No Charge Extra Mile benefits:
    Road Hazard Tire Warranty
    (3 years / 36000 Miles)
    Roadside Assistance (3 years / 36000 miles)
    Extra Mile Extended Life Tires
    (6 Years / 100,000 Miles)

Vehicle Shield Package (includes)
    Lusterizing Sealant
    Sound Shield
    Sealant Cleaner
    Rental Car Assistance

I feel that I got a pretty good deal.
  • chronochrono Member Posts: 149
    Is this a 4X4 and where did you score this deal from ???
  • jami20jami20 Member Posts: 2
    Unfortunately it is only a 4x2. They didn't have a 4x4 that I liked, and I would rarely need to use that feature. Bought it from Oxford Toyota in Mississppi.
  • amychowusamychowus Member Posts: 5
    Looking to buy the 2005 SR5 4WD V6 with sun roof (they all come with either sun roof or third row seats :confuse: ). The list price is around $32,676. Gotten couple of quotes from $30,061 down to $28,745. Its this the best price in New Jersey? Thanks in advance for all your help! :blush:
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    I just bought an '05 4R 4WD SR5 last month with spoiler, sunroof, upgraded wheels/tires and floor/cargo mats. Those prices sound about in the ballpark.....if you take the 3.9% financing over the $500 rebate (if those are available in your area).

To me, that 3rd row seat was about useless.

So far, it's been a very nice vehicle. Rides nice (for an SUV), handles well....seems well put together. Plus, I'm getting about 20 MPG in all city driving with the A/C blasting away.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • sdowdysdowdy Member Posts: 1
    Susieq1:

I realize this is a non-timely posting, but i'm having trouble finding many good anecdotal towing references for the 4runner matching my situation.

I'm looking at a 2005 4runner V8 for towing a Trail-Lite Trail-Cruiser C21RBH. dry-weight's 3,000 lbs, so probably 4,000 lbs on the road. It's 23' long and 8' wide (nice wind-resistant front profile :-( ) The size of the trailer vs. the 4runner's short wheelbase and narrow track concern me somewhat.

I'm curious which model you have and what towing equipment you're using. If anyone else has feedback on this, i'd appreciate it. Anyone make a deal contingent upon a test-drive with trailer attached to the sale vehicle? (i'd think dealers would shy away on that for liability reasons)

thanks,
    --stephen
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Hi stephen. This topic mainly focuses on pricing and the purchasing experience. If you want to talk to others who might have towing experience, there are several better topics where you'll get more feedback. Here are a few:
    Towing tips for SUVs
    Towing with 4Runner V6 (not quite, but you may find some tips)
    Toyota 4Runner

Those are all very active discussions, so any would be a good place to find help.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• amychowusamychowus Member Posts: 5
    I gotten a few quotes for a 4runner SR5 V6. MSRP 31,141, invoice is about $28,350. quote price $28,050. That's $300 below invoice. Is this the best price in Maryland? I just heard Toyota is giving a $1,500 rebaete on the V6 this week, it that true? Thanks in advance for any help! :)
    I'm in OH, but the rebate on the V6 is $500 for it (in lieu of 3.9% financing). $1,000 rebate on the V8 models. You must be looking at a 2WD?

In your neck of the woods, I would imagine the 4WD would be the one that would do better on resale, however.

Don't know for certain, but Toyota doesn't usually give rebates for just one weekend. It's usually a monthly or quarterly offering.
  • smt150smt150 Member Posts: 1
    I was quoted 2.5% over invoice. How does this sound? I am looking for a 2005 V6 4X4 Sport with sunroof and leather (will need to be aftermarket). I am in the Philly area, and they are saying there are no rebates or special financing.

Am I getting taken?
  • biglatkabiglatka Member Posts: 78
    Go to New York then, to buy it. Do most of your research over the Internet. There is a $500 rebate on V6's and $1250 on V8's in New York (ends 8/1/05). I think you can do better than 2.5% over invoice at this time of year and gas prices what they are. Your selection may be limited, although I've seen a lot of 4Runners around on dealer's lots. The V8 is a better buy, I just traded my 2004 V6 SR5 for a 2005 V8 Sport Edition (both 4x4). I should have bought the V8 in 2004. The V6 SR5 is a great truck, but V8 SE is even better. Hope this helps.
  • yuenyuen Member Posts: 5
    Just brought on MSRP 31,190. Got it for 27,800. That's about $500 below invoice. I am very happy with it. You should be able to do better than $28,050.
  • dawneedawnee Member Posts: 59
    How accurate have you found your trip computer to be with showing the total miles to fill up? Had someone tell me they show approx 420 or 430 total miles til fill up when their tank is full but have read in other posts where the computers are not too accurate on some vehicles and may vary right much so just curious of others experience with computer accuracy on 4Runners.
    Toyota prices can vary dramatically by region. Personally, I found carsdirect.com to have the most realistic prices of any of the on-line sites for 4Runners in my area.
  • totstots Member Posts: 2
    You can get it for $28,500 with third row seat and floor mats The price includes dest. and handling and the dealer is Hudson Toyota in Jersey City, NJ. The internet director, sales manager and salesman are really nice and they are very helpful. They will not pressure you to buy the car. Go now because they have this good offer of 3.9% apr if you qualify. This offer is only good till end of the month. Good luck on your 4runner shopping. This is the best midsize SUV on the market.
  • captjoe06captjoe06 Member Posts: 3
    Are there any stripped down 4runner 4x4 v6 sr5s?
  • totstots Member Posts: 2
    What do you mean by stripped down?
  • cub2000cub2000 Member Posts: 2
    Bought a 2004 limited 4wd 4runner on July 25. I paid $29.5k for it. I think it was a good deal. The thing needed a jump start though since it sat in the lot for a while. I also bought the Toyota extra care. The salesman tried to sell me the dealer extended care, but I did research and heard enough horrors of the 3rd party extended warranty.
  • oscar01oscar01 Member Posts: 3
    I also just bought one MSRP 31,600. They pressured me into believing 29,100 was $100 under invoice and that is was a good deal. We walked thru the Cars.Direct website and it did say that it was $100 under invoice. But ...........now I see how bad of a deal it actually was !!!!!. Oh, and yeah, the $500 rebate is only on the V6 and only if you do not want the 3.9% financing deal. Its one or the other. The V8 rebate is $1000 or 0.0%. I assume that they are trying to get rid of the V8s due to less demand because the gas prices are so high lately. They did try to convince me that the gas mileage is the same whether its V6 or V8. Not sure about that one. I am pretty sure that I got ripped off and fell into their pressured tactics.
    Hi. I just bought SR5 4wd V6 with Sun Roof and Wrapped Leather Steering wheel package (audio controls on steering wheel...kind of cool.) Also had daytime running lights. MSRP 31,600 Buy Price 29,100 (not a good deal as far as I can tell.) I bought it at a Toyota Dearlership in Northern NJ on Rt17. I think you can possibly get it for 27,900 or at least 28,500. I knew it wasn't a good deal; but stayed with it cause the pain that comes with visiting a dealership was too much for me to endure on yet another Saturday. Such a waste of time. I love the car and its options; although the seats are not as comfortable as my old Ford Explorer was. Very dissappointed there.
    I just bought (July 26th) a SR5 V6 and plan on towing a Trail-Lite Bantam Flyer (17 feet) dry weight listed at 2600. I'll let you know how it tows. I haven't picked up the trailer yet; but the dealer convinced me it tows fine (of course he did). I absolutely would have LOVED to be able to test drive while pulling a trailer; but you're right; I doubt they would let that happen. And, also, I thought the 4Runner came equipped all ready to tow. I just opened up my glove compartment and found the trailer wires. Apparently it is not wired up yet; so I assume I'll have to 'pay' someone now to have that part done.
  • blaskyblasky Member Posts: 15
    Hi -
    Just picked up a fully fully loaded 2005 , V8, Limited 4runner with navigation. Only option I did not get was 3rd row seat and 4x4. Paid $34.4K + tax (includes $1500 cash back)

I shopped this car for a while and think i got a very good price. Turns out it was $300 below dealer invoice before $1500 incentive. After sending out emails to various local dealers, I found the best price through CarsDirect.com. I actually found the best price at my closest dealer, but of course they did not have the color i wanted in stock. CarsDirect matched that price and located my car in the color i wanted. I figure if im spending that much on a car, Im going to get the color i want. No compromises at $34k right? Interestingly, some of the other dealers couldnt even match the non-reduced Carsdirect price available to everyone just by going on their website.

While it may seem like i work for CarsDirect, i dont. It was just a very pleasant purchase experience and thought i would share the insight. This is the first time i shopped for a car online. Once I told my contact at carsdirect my exact specs, he located the car within a few hours and i picked it up the following day. It was speced as desired and there were no surprises. the entire process at the dealership where the car was at took 30 minutes. no joke!!!

I bought my car over 4th of July weekend. A few days later the incentive on the V8s (in California) jumped from $1500 to $2000. I guess this is the game you have to play - it could have very well gone back to $500 which is what the rebate was the month before.

Couple of suggestions -
    1) shop the price on the internet.
    2) get the very best price and then compare it against cars direct.
    3) CarsDirect will price match - dont settle for a color you dont want to save a few bucks. Also, the delivered car had an aftermarket exhaust tip that I did not spec. I told him i was not interested in it, so they threw it in free.

Hope this helps.....
  • tcpoobtcpoob Member Posts: 30
    hey oscar01, dont feel bad about what you paid. from what i could tell, while certainly not the best deal, it aint bad at all. keep in mind no one is gonna get the best deal there is just like you'll never sell your stock at its highest. it's a decent deal and you saved more trips to the stealers. just take good care and enjoy your ride. think about it - over the years you own it, the diff in cost (a few 100s) isnt that big a deal.
  • tothedunestothedunes Member Posts: 1
    New Toyota is just fabulous! The titanium metallic matches my Trek Madone bike like a dream. I can't wait to throw it on the roof rack and go! I have an '04 Sienna XLE limited so I had to get the limited 4runner. Drove the Highlander and felt cramped and sluggish. Drove the Sequoia and just felt sluggish.
    Side airbags, sport suspension, Navigation, moonroof, and spoiler =37k after rebate.
  • tommyg12tommyg12 Member Posts: 158
    The Toyota 4Runner mid-size SUV receives freshened styling and interior enhancements for 2006. All models receive a restyled front fascia that includes a newly designed grille, front bumper, integrated fog lamps, and projector headlamps along with restyled rear combination lamps and rear bumper. Additional styling changes include redesigned lower cladding, mudguards, and overfenders. All 4Runner models include a reinforced center pillar for improved rigidity and increased thickness on the front windshield and front door glass for reduced wind noise. All new 18-inch alloy wheels are standard equipment on the Limited grade.

Inside, the 4Runner features an updated meter cluster appearance, and mini-port in the center console for connectivity to most portable music players. Power adjustable fabric seats are standard on Sport Edition and SR5 V8 models, and optional on the SR5 V6 grade. The Limited grade now receives standard memory seats and black wood graphic interior trim.
    With all of its added standard equipment and refreshed styling, 4Runner retains its excellent value. The 4Runner 4x2 will carry a base MSRP ranging from $27,635 for the SR5 V6 with a five-speed automatic to $36,110 for the Limited grade V8 with a five-speed automatic. The base MSRP for the 4Runner 4x4 ranges from $29,910 for the SR5 V6 with a five-speed automatic to $38,385 for the Limited grade V8 with a five-speed automatic. Total 4Runner average MSRP increase is $150 or 0.5 percent.
  • locomolocomo Member Posts: 29
    Was offered a 4x4 V6 Sport w/ Moonroof for $29,522 (33,369 MSRP) +TTL in Tennessee.
    Would have been lower if I bought yesterday, but they said this price was good for a month (assuming $500 rebate). Anyone think this is a good deal or should I hold out for a lower price or the above mentioned 2006?
    Thanks
  • lorryfanlorryfan Member Posts: 76
    tommyg12-

Very helpful information - can you please post the link to the webpage where you got this info? Also do you know when the 06 models will hit the dealer showrooms?
    sorry, should have listed the link within the posting.........

http://pressroom.toyota.com/photo_library/display_release.html?id=20050729a

The '06s are scheduled to arrive late August, early September.
  • sanders21sanders21 Member Posts: 4
    Just got home with my new 4 Runner. I leased a Limited v8, with Nav, rear spoiler, side airbags, moonroof, and the preferred accessory package(Z1). MSRP was $42,781. I Leased it for 39 months w/ 15K miles a year. My monthly payment is $520.56 and I put zero down.

How does that sound to you guys?
    Hopefully your cap cost wasn't MSRP. Dealers in my area are all at least $1000 dollars under invoice. One example is a 4x4 Limited V8 with a $40,046 msrp, with a selling price of $34,388. A 48 month lease payment is right at $400.
  • boxtypeboxtype Member Posts: 8
    Guys,
    Can't help to notice the price people paid for their HIGHLANDER..(see highlander discussion..)
    I own an '05 4Runner and the Highlander is not even a contender!
    this is a great discussion forum BTW, everybody seemed to be getting a good deal.
    The HL discussion is almost unreal..are the jacking up their price or what?

Any thoughts?
    boxtype
  • sanders21sanders21 Member Posts: 4
    My bad, I forgot to list my cap cost. My cap cost was $37,288.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Let's just stick to 4Runner pricing in here. Thanks!

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• captjoe06captjoe06 Member Posts: 3
    36 month SR5 v6 4wd 15k miles per year lease

Anyone think I should be able to lease this for $350 a month?