Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota 4Runner Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• rsorganizersorganize Member Posts: 131
    Can get '05 Ltd. V8, with everything but Nav and 3rd row seats, for $36,500 at 0% financing. List is $41,600. 0% means $1000 rebate instead of $3000.

Local dealer has to trade with another dealer for the vehicle.

Good deal?
  • labradorimlabradorim Member Posts: 4
    Am presently shopping a 06 4Runner and wondering about the difference between the 17" and 18" tires offered on the sr5 or limited. Does one give a better ride and is a smaller tire mean a smaller step up?

Appreciate any response out there.....thks for all and any input.
  • gurgs24gurgs24 Member Posts: 10
    I got the same truck (same options and MSRP) for $33,500 after rebate at the end of September . I didn't take the 0% because I was putting a bunch down, so I got a full rebate which was $2500 at the time.

So does the 36,500 price include the rebate or not? If it does, I would say they can go lower. If it doesn't, that isn't too bad but I would think they could go lower on an '05 since the '06's have been out for about two months now.
    It includes the $1000 rebate. They are giving me what I need for my car, so it basically works, for me. Invoice, minus the $1000 @ 0%. I might get them to go below invoice, but I imagine that they would have offered less on my car. Another dealer offered $2500 less for my car; the highest other offer - about 3000 mi ago - was still $1000 less. Just don't have the energy to keep shopping my car. Plus, this is a small local dealer who is trying to match the big-city dealers - and, generally succeeding.

Best deal I heard of - in Worcester MA (about 85 mi. from my house, but close to one of my offices) - was $34,200: invoice-$3000 rebate-$300. But, the salesman said that trade-in value might be lower, based on the low price of the vehicle!

Thanks for the feedback.

Peace.
  • gurgs24gurgs24 Member Posts: 10
    Prices are probably higher in MA than WI, so considering you are getting what you want for you trade and the 0%, it is a pretty good deal. If you decide to make the deal, you won't be disappointed. I really like mine. :D
    Thanks. My big hang-up, right now, is the mpg. I also drove a Highlander Ltd. I know: a very different vehicle, but much better gas mileage. I drive a great many miles on the Mass Pike and they actually seemed equally quiet. Of course on 'regular' roads, 4Runner was more the truck. Overall, Highlander was quieter and smoother. Very comfortable, very nice interior...but very bland look. 4Runner was very good, too....more attractive look. Just not sure about mpg, in this world.

Peace.
  • ponytrekkerponytrekker Member Posts: 310
    I have the 8 with 250 miles and I am averaging a little over 16mpg, primarily city driving -- average speed 22 MPH. It seems to do over 20 on the highway, all according to the trip computer and all using regular gas.

My BMW averaged between 19 and 20 MPG using premium when also primarily city, and could get up to 30 on the highway, FWIW.
  • rbcoloradorbcolorado Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone have information about what I should pay for a 2003 SR5 4 Runner in the Denver area? Or better yet does anyone have trade in information of what they received for their 4 Runner in the Denver area. Either one of these values might help me decide what is a fair price for this vehicle. They are asking around $23000 for this vehicle with around 38000 miles, V8 engine. Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,

RB
    That price is WACK. For a little over 2k more you can buy a NEW 2005!
  • sage5sage5 Member Posts: 3
    Can anyone tell me if they purchased a vehicle from Oakdale Toyota or Amity Toyota on Long Island in NY. Would like to know how the purchasing experience was with all depts, Thank You
  • rbcoloradorbcolorado Member Posts: 2
    Where can I get a new 2005 4 Runner SR5 for $25000. Is this in Colorado or do I have to travel out of state for this deal?

Thanks,

RB
  • veetee09veetee09 Member Posts: 2
    w/ 17" wheels, spoiler, roof rack, side air bags, hitch, tourneau cover, upper $27K (after rebate) + TTL. Is this an ok deal or an awesome deal? I'm in the early stages of my research. Thanks!
  • dima1dima1 Member Posts: 19
    Are 2006 4Runners made in Japan?
    I am getting V6 SR5 quotes of about $30K for package C in NY with the $750 rebate.
    It looks like it is 1K below invoice. Good deal?

Thanks,
    DM
  • locomolocomo Member Posts: 29
    I bought a SR5 4WD V8 in Memphis, 6 weeks ago for $25,300. A V6 was $27,500 which sounds weird, but hey this is Memphis. I was in CO, about a month ago, and in the Denver paper they were advertising V6 4WD for the same price I paid for the V8. Later got an oil change in Colorado Springs, and they said Memphis pricing was the exact opposite of theirs.
  • woodywwwoodyww Member Posts: 1,806
    I'm looking at 2 different 2005 Limiteds (on one of the on-line used car sites), both with around 10K miles. One at a dealer for $29,987, the other by a private seller for around $32K. Obviously, the one at the Toyota dealer is a much better deal, "if it's still available"--I can't call today because it's a Holiday. But, are these fairly good prices for low-mileage '05 Limiteds? In the ballpark? TIA!
  • labradorimlabradorim Member Posts: 4
    after months of indecision am the very happy owner of a new 06 ltd.
    loaded with x-reas,side air, hitch, stereo upgrade, lugs, + all the standard stuff of the ltd. Almost bought the sport but the ride of the 18" tire, nice leather seats, and very nice JBL stereo pushed us into the ltd for few thousand more. 37,754 with the 3.9 financing and got 1000 more on my trade then expected. Nice folks at Beaver Toyota in Santa Fe, NM.
    What a ride this suv is!
    thks to all for all advice! Anybody know much about the protective coatings on body & inside that dealer offers....is it negotiable after the sale? Is it worth doing?
  • streetbeaststreetbeast Member Posts: 2
    I found a new 2005 LTD at the dealer. V6 with a navigation system. MSRP is $42k and I am curious to see what type of discount I can get.
  • lowestgearlowestgear Member Posts: 3
    Ready to buy in California: 2006 Toyota 4Runner V8 Sport Edition 4x4

Here is what I found today: the dealer invoice was shown to me for "Model 8686A"

$31,812. Invoice price which shows total model & FIE
    Then they add
    605.00 Del Proc & handling fee
    434.00 TDA (Toyota Dealer advertising fee!)
    $33,011 is what they are asking

45.00 Doc fee
    2562.00 sales tax CA
    311.00 DMV fees

-750 rebate

35,178 out the door

QUESTIONS: am I obligated as they claim to pay the following:
    or Are those negotiable? (the salesman claimed that it's written in stone...)

And: The invoice stated "Invoice does not reflect dealers ultimate vehicle cost in view of $672 reserve and $336 wholesale finance reserve which are returned to the dealer, and any rebate allowance and incentive which are paid to the dealer"

Hmmm...

So it looks like there is another $1000+ in there as padding too... suggestions on which of the above to push back on, and what is a realistic price to expect to pay would be appreciated! Seems to me the advertising fee is just a rip off and the processing and handling fee is mighty suspect... Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode with the fee on the fee fee... ( I will reciprocate with the final price paid after the deal is done!)
  • chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405

These are "garbage fees". You can do research here on Edmunds for the correct price. I would go to a large mega-dealer" and offer 250.00 over invoice. These things ARE NOT IN DEMAND. I purchased an '05 Sport w/V8 (4X2) at Crown Toyota in Ontario. They will deal here, or Longo Toyota as well. Remember, $250.00 0ver invoice OR WALK.
    I offered invoice minus rebates but I bought the mats.
    "I offered invoice minus rebates but I bought the mats."

Good job! It can be done but you have to be real tough!

Like I said, as good as the 4Runners are, they are very soft in the market due to fuel prices.....
  • mattamatta Member Posts: 1
    with 3rd row seat. Price is OTD 32250 after rebate. Is it a good price? Anyway, just FYI..
    One opinion (thanks!0 that These are "garbage fees"

I looked on Edmunds and they mention the Destination charge as standard (that's the 605.00 fee) Does anybody know for sure if that is a negotiable fee? Also about the advertising fee? Hate to leave $1000 on the table without checking around... gotta love the internet!
  • vincekellervincekeller Member Posts: 28
    Destination Charge is non-negotiable. The other fees mentioned are junk fees.
    If it says the following on the invoice they presented as being the actual invoice, does that mean the following are junk fees padding the invoice?

The invoice stated "Invoice does not reflect dealers ultimate vehicle cost in view of $672 reserve and $336 wholesale finance reserve which are returned to the dealer, and any rebate allowance and incentive which are paid to the dealer"

In other words, the invoice they gave me "hides" the above costs but some regulatory agency has forced them to add the clause in fine print. Seems the consensus is that the advertising fee is as absurd as it sounds, but what about the above hidden "reserve" fees the dealer keeps? Are we as consumers being duped into believing that the reserve fees are not negotiable as the lying sack of $#!# sales person tried to assure me with a greasy smile and clammy hand shake...

I just loved how he kept a straight face while explaining that I was wrong to ask why they are charging me a fee for their advertising on top of what I pay for a car which makes them a profit based on the advertising that I do not wish to subsidize beyond the profit they already make on the car...

Nice vehicle but WHEN will we ever be able to just go into a dealer and stand at a kiosk, or go online select features and price and buy it without hassle like we can with almost every other product on earth. This stone age dealing with Neanderthal sales goons trying to rip you off at every opportunity really makes the experience... no fun

But I AM Looking forward to the ride!!!!!!
    Yes, your right. I was thrown off by the extra words on that line. You need to pay for the freight(i.e. delivery).
  • jsa23jsa23 Member Posts: 13
    I just drove off with a 2005 V6 2WD 4runner sports edition with two tone leather seats, spoiler, floor mats, exhaust tip by Valor and the sports bumper trim for $29520 out the door.

Wanted to get feedback to see if this was a good deal or not...Comparing the standard 2005 sports edition with cloth interior, I think its a pretty good deal...

One last thing...I was shown the price the dealer paid for the vehicle on their system and it was $29300 with all the options listed above...
  • dealkillerdealkiller Member Posts: 17
    After months lurking in different forums, I finally pulled my trigger on above car. I have to thank everybody who had input info into these forums. To provide helpful info for others, I would like to give the details of my purchase. Please bear with me.

I have struggled between car and truck for a long time (mainly because of cost of the purchase and cost of fuel consumption). Wife had got a Honda Odyssey 2 years ago, and she thought a Accord or Camry will suit my need. I was sure having different opinion. Let's make long story short. I started to looking at SUVs, and narrowed my searching down to Nissan Pathfinder and Jeep Grand Cherokee. I gave both dealers my best offer: (1)2005 Nissan Pathfinder SE with Premium package for $25,000, and (2)2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with Side Airbags, tow package, cargo convenience package for $22500. They both seems willing to deal with me cause there were massive (10 or more) of those on their lots. But none of them would take my offer. My impression is that they were waiting to see how their November's sale goes. One Jeep dealer even asked me to be patient while they worked on their end. I have seen my local Toyota dealer's Ad. about 2005 4Runner 4x4 for $26,582, and thought it's still way above my budget. Last Sunday (11/20), I saw the extra $1,000 off your best deal Ad. from Toyota, and decided to take a look at the dealer's lot. It's about 5:00pm Sunday afternoon, and it's getting dark. The dealership was closing. I caught a guy (he is actually the financing manager) walking to his car. After a short conversation he lead me to the cars I want to see, and quickly forward me to a salesmen who was also ready to go home. After getting a business card, I were all alone standing in front of a row of 4Runners. I found there were only two 2005 left: a white one(MSRP $32,000+) and a black one(MSRP $31,286). I called the dealer the next morning, and asked to talk to their Internet sales manager. He gave me $28,500 final. Well, I almost gave up. I decided to try one more time. This time I called the guy who gave me his business card. He told me the manager wanted $26,300+. He also found out for me that this car is a dealer trade, and has 540 miles on it. I was invited to testdrive the car. I went there after work, and did the testdrive with the salesman. The car pulls left on highway, and the salesman agree with me. We went back to the showroom and starting to deal. After couple rounds of game play, manager walked in and gave me $25,599 + 1 year free oil change + $95 Doc. fee + TTL. I stood on my feet firmly on $24,700 (I had planned to go up to $25,000). At this point, I am ready to take off. The salesman was still trying to persuade me to offer $25,400, and I said $25,100 + $95 Doc. fee + TTL. They agreed the deal, and wanted me to drive off the lot that night. I insisted I need the alignment done and a full clean up of the car before I take delivery. Luckily, their computer system was down, and my deal could not run through. The guy who worked in the finance Dept. tried to sell me a Toyota extended warranty 7 years/75000miles for $800. I didn't bite the bait, and told him I have to discuss with my wife. Got the car on Tuesday, the financing manager that I met on the lot on Sunday sold me same extended warranty (7year/75000miles) for $655. Alignment had been done, and the car was cleaned and waxed.

Here is my deal:

$27,600
    + Ext. Warranty (7years/75,000miles) $655
    + Tax (7%) $1,977.85
    + Doc. fee $95
    --------------------------------------------------
    $30,327.85
    - Rebate $1,500
    - $1,000 off best deal $1,000
    --------------------------------------------------
    $27,827.85

What do you guys think about my deal?
    By the way, the car come with 17" wheels, Z1 package, and DR package.
  • cjericcjeric Member Posts: 23
    I'm looking at the lease incentive for the Sport Edition 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A), and I wonder if this is a good deal. With a money factor of 0.00119, and residual value of 20,990 it has a fairly low lease payment, but I'm somewhat concerned about the cap cost. The base cap cost is $32,288, which seems a little high since it's right at MSRP according to this site. I can use the $1000 coupon and another $400 in other incentives to bring down the cap cost to 28,590 with a down payment of 2,600.
    Should I be able to negotiate down the cap cost price, or is that pretty set on deals like this? Thank you.
    What about the coupon? Regional? Googled and found it for Cincinnati/N. Ky.
    Wasn't that tough. Plus, my salesperson was GORGEOUS and gave me a big hug and kiss on the cheek after I bought it.

I got the 8 and am getting 2mpg less on regular than I got on my 325i on premium.
  • jsa23jsa23 Member Posts: 13
    Just to add a bit more detail on my purchase...

The vehicle price was $26995 and they said they would only give me $1000 for my car as trade in...My car was a 1993 prelude si with 180k miles on it; but in good shape as i've kept it up to date with everything...

They ended up giving me $2000 trade in for and that was pretty much it, nothing else...This happened as I decided to walk out the door...

It was obvious that they were going to offer me a lowball price and then give me the price I wanted and make me feel like I got something accomplished...They never dropped their price or threw in anything else, ie. I wanted the 6 disc in dash cd changer...

All in all, I think I could've gotten a better deal with them but I don't think I would've found the same car with the options they had in it elsewhere...

Can I get some opinions on this or some feedback?

Thanks
    It's maybe regional, I'm not quite sure about it. It was on local newspaper, and it looks like offered by Toyota. Yes, I got my car in central Ohio.
    "Wasn't that tough. Plus, my salesperson was GORGEOUS and gave me a big hug and kiss on the cheek after I bought it."

Glad you "liked" your salesperson so much. The only thing is as the car business goes - she will be gone in six months and your next Toyota you will buy from someone else......
    Better run in and buy some more mats, then.
  • undecided1234undecided1234 Member Posts: 4
    In the market for 2005 4Runner 4x4 Sport Edition V8. I live in INDIANA. dealer offered out of door price $31325( that includes taxes and all the fees. also included is $3000 rebate). vehicle has $ 2000 worth option B package. can I get a better price? and by how much ??? any help is welcome. I am a newbee. please help.
  • veetee09veetee09 Member Posts: 2
    2006 SR5 4x4 gray option package A (as on toyota.com), $30179 out the door.
  • freaking102freaking102 Member Posts: 11
    I tried to negotiate with a dealer here in So California and they insisted advertising and prep fees were mandatory. I then tried carsdirect, liked their lower price, and purchased my 4runner (V6, 4WD, w/ roof rack, toe pkg, tonneau cover, floor mats) last week thru carsdirect for $27,674 (after $750 rebate) plus tax, $45 doc fee and DMV license fees. I was a little bit sceptical going into the deal, but in the end I was very happy with carsdirect.
    just sealed the deal for 2005 4x4 v8 limited 4 runner with navigation, moonroof, rear spoiler, JBL am/fm/cd, carpet floor mats, side curtain air bags for invoice price $ 38146- $ 3000 cash back plus taxes and doc fee. total $ 37353 out of the door. any thoughts on how I did? :blush:
  • simplemindsimplemind Member Posts: 8
    That's as good as it gets from my experience (nicely optioned, btw). What location?
  • magmirmagmir Member Posts: 17
    After nine years, I finally got a new car today (same 97 Civic since senior year of high school). I think I got a good deal, but want to make sure. I pick it up tomorrow in the a.m. and do the paperwork then. The only thing I'm skeptical about are some of the junk fees. Here is the deal:

06 4Runner black/stone sr5
    fwd
    17" wheels, double decker, roof rack, leather steering wheel/knob, and i think that's it.....
    24,8xx before anything
    after TTT it comes out to 26,9XX. They're charging me $75 for the mats, $589 doc fee, and $289 prep/freight fee or something. We argued about those for a long time, and the mats, but they wouldn't budge. We didn't try walking out, thinking that the overall deal was good (7% tax). Deal was easy besides that, no negotiations or anything. I called, told what the carsdirect price was, and what they could do. How is this deal? Please tell!
    "So California and they insisted advertising and prep fees were mandatory.'

I have purchased over 32 new and used cars through dealers in my lifetime. The advertising and prep fees are "garbage fees". Something added by the dealer. You did not get the best price going through Cars Direct. However, if you are not an expert negotiator, they were probably the way for you to go. At least that way you were not "taken to the cleaners". Enjoy the 4Runner. They are great SUVs. I have an '05 V8 Sport Edition myself!
    "no negotiations or anything."

Your saying the DEALER OFFERED HIS BEST PRICE UP FRONT? You didn't negotiate?

Hey - I have some land outside New Orleans available......

Did you go in to the dealer knowing what the invoice was? Others on this board have purchased these (low demand) vehicles for anywhere from slightly below invoice to $250.00 above invoice. Did you have this information. It's available here on Edmunds and elsewhere.
    We tried negotiating, he just didn't come down. I know what invoice is, and 24,8XX is below invoice... not just $250 above invoice. Our OTD of 26,935 including tax is barely about invoice.

Am I missing something? You don't have to be an a-hole...
    I forgot, it also included the tonneau cover and the tow hitch.
    "I forgot, it also included the tonneau cover and the tow hitch."

Doesn't it come from the factory this way?

Anyway, if you did your homework and felt you got a good deal, why ask here? I didn't get the best price on my trade until my hand was pushing on the door of the showroom ready to go home........(true story!)
    So-if your happy... it doesn't matter what others think... does it???
    terre haute, INDIANA 47802. thanks for responding to my message.btw, whats your experience?. just curious
  • soldier1soldier1 Member Posts: 10
    I bought my 2006 V8 Sport Edition 4x4, with spoiler, JBL 3 in 1 10 speaker, double deck cargo, carpets, emergency warning and first aid, last week, for $31,700 PLUS tax and tags. Got it cheaper, slightly below invoice, from a dealer, rather than Cars Direct, which would have been $600.00 more.
    Yes, Cars Direct is good if you have a fear of negotiation. You price was great!

AND THANKS FOR SERVING OUR COUNTRY AND PROTECTING OUR FREEDOMS!!!