Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota 4Runner Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• havokhavok Member Posts: 18
    :confuse: I have a growing family and want the 4Runner's cargo convenience, safety, and reliabilty. This will be my daily driver. Does anyone regret getting the 2WD and do you think this is a waste of money since I will rarely be taking it offroad?
  • chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    If you are rarely go offroad why get the 4WD? Unless you live where it snows alot, I wouldn't do it. Even guys who take theirs offroad, still drive on the highway 70% to 80% of the time!
  • robg4robg4 Member Posts: 32
    My dad has an Interra that is a 4WD. He said the next one he gets he won't get a 4WD. Said he has only used it 1 time.
  • crashoftencrashoften Member Posts: 6
    This was a quote as of this morning for a V6 4x4 limited.
    (Twin Cities, MN)

The only options that perked my attention were the power sunroof and top tier audio (then some other fluff)

39615 MSRP
    35440 Actual
    Lease for $455.00 including tax (36 month, 15k year)
    Residual 21k and change

A Sport with a similar option package was 371.00 per month

Several dealers in the area did not even have Limited in stock.
  • flannery13flannery13 Member Posts: 3
    Just purchased a Limited V6 4WD 4runner at Toyota of Nashua area for $34,999 OTD @2.9% financing (in lui of $1000 rebate). Great dealer, great internet salesperson and overall good experience. Walked in @5pm, drove new vehicle off lot by 9pm.

Installed Options:
    50 State Emissions
    6 disc changer w/10 speakers
    Carpet floor mats
    Daytime running lgts
    Rear spoiler
    Sunroof/moonroof
    Towing package
    Rr Spoiler
    Cargo net
    Alloy wheel locks

MSRP: $39,759
    Invoice: $35,065
    Paid: $34,800 (w/out title and processing fee)
  • gyrot21gyrot21 Member Posts: 1
    The info on this board has been worth so much I thought I'd post my 2/28/06 deal at Dick Milham in Easton,PA.

2006 SR5 4x4
    17" wheels
    Tow hitch
    Tonneau cover
    floor mats
    roof rack rails

MSRP $31,541
    OTD $27,300

Original trade offer on my 04 Accord LX coupe $14,000(edmunds average trade in value) bumped to $14,750. 36 month lease at $369 (at TierII) plus tax (9% in PA on leases) Absolutely go through the internet department! I got a Toyota lease pre-approved online, asked for quotes from 3 dealerships around 1pm. Went to the dealership at 4pm where my selection was waiting at the showroom door, inspected it, finalized the deal, gave them ONLY my first payment and left at 5:45. The internet salesperson was very open and made everything very simple, all I did was show up and say yes or no. I waited for about 15 minutes at one point while my salesperson went to rework my trade value and saw two other deals get signed, highlander hybrid and a Rav4, another couple had come back to close a deal as well, so I would assume this dealership was pushing the incentive/last day of the month crunch. The two other dealerships who quoted saw my lease pre-approval and tried to up sell me on heavily optioned SR5's and even a used Limited. These two did not want to deal with me online.
  • coloroncoloron Member Posts: 14
    I recently bought an 06 SR5 4WD V6 and I learned a hard lesson in the process that I’d like to share with anyone buying a new vehicle, especially a Toyota.

I test drove an SR5 at the local dealer and liked it a lot. However, I wanted a specific color and option package which they did not have in their inventory. They found one at another dealer, we agreed on a price and they made arrangements to bring it in for me. Being anxious to make the deal, I made my first mistake by making a non-refundable deposit on the vehicle.

When it arrived, I made a second fatal mistake of not test driving it before doing the deal. After delivery I found that it had bad gear whine and some other general issues, none of which were present on the one I test drove. If they had been, I wouldn’t have bought it. Toyota refuses to do anything to fix my complaints, saying that the whine is a “characteristic” of the vehicle. Oddly, I have not found anyone else who has this “characteristic” in their 4Runner.

The lesson here is not to buy any vehicle without doing a very thorough test drive of the SPECIFIC VEHICLE that you are buying BEFORE signing any paperwork or writing any checks. If you have problems, you can not count on Toyota to make it right.

This is my first purchase of a non-domestic brand vehicle. I have had issues with the domestic brands as well but I’ve never had Ford, Chrysler or GM tell me that the problem was a “characteristic” of their vehicle and not at least attempt to fix whatever my problem was. I bought Toyota largely based on their legendary reputation for quality and service and have found both to be just that, only a legend not a truth.

Caveat Emptor!
    When you research used vehicles over the US, Toyotas look to hold their value much more than most other makes. Is it a reputation that

1) has buyers fooled

2) has earned it's reputation?
  • mocheeksmocheeks Member Posts: 4
    Out of curiosity, does that paid price ($34,800) include taxes?
    Hello,

Thanks to everyone for posting here. It has been a huge help.

We just purchased a car last night and am curious of what you think of the deal. Any feedback would be appreciated.

2006 4-Runner Sports Edition
    Options include:
    *Moonroof (all the stuff the Sport Package comes with)
    Then we added:
    *Leather Seats
    *Heated Front Seats
    *Sirius Satellite Radio

Selling Price: $31,993 (2.9% financing)

What do you think? Was this a good deal? Would we have been better off leasing?

Thanks
  • jjce1bjjce1b Member Posts: 6
    Sounds to me like a great deal. Couple of questions though. How did you get heated leather seats in a Sport Edition? I thought they were only available in Limited's? Congratulations on your new ride! :)
  • flannery13flannery13 Member Posts: 3
    No, the $34,800 was before TTL

I bought it out of state so I paid taxes when I registered it.
  • stuffedmonkeystuffedmonkey Member Posts: 12
    After digging up some information here on the current lease deals on the 4Runner, I just got back from the dealership for one.

2006 4Runner Sport Edition
    -Spoiler
    -Hitch
    -Daytime lights
    -Floormats
    -Exhaust tip
    -Moonroof
    MSRP - $34680
    Invoice - $31539

36 month/12,000 mile lease. Residual on it is 61%. You can't beat that Tier 1+ money factor right now. I don't have all the paperwork for more detail as they had to locate mine. I paid $150 over invoice. I probably could have gotten it cheaper, but I stated that as my initial offer. It will be here Wednesday.
    I guess you can special order the sport with leather from the factory, but it takes a few months. However, the dealer offered to do it for us. Apparently, they get these requests a lot and work with a shop to fulfill the requests. While they were at it we asked them to add on the heated function (it cost an extra $450). We pick it up tomorrow. I'm stoked!
    Sounds great.

As an fyi to anyone looking to lease, you should check out carlease.com. I was initially going to lease and worked through them. They found me incredible deals (a Limited for $490/month with nothing down), but ultimately we decided to buy. They find exactly what you want at the best price possible, then deliver the car to your door. My brother-in-law has used them twice and swears by it.
  • claymore1claymore1 Member Posts: 21
    Does anyone know where I can get side air bags on a new 2-wheel drive 4Runner Sport? I have been looking without success. I am located in Southern California.
  • bryan_g33kbryan_g33k Member Posts: 1
    The greatest THANK YOU to all who have posted here and to all the wonderfull folks @ edmunds.com thanks to you all I was able to make my first new vehicle purchase with confidence and drive off the lot with a 2006 Sport Edition V6 4X4 2Miles on the odometer and the price was Dealer Invoice with $1,000 cash back as down AND they financed us at 5.49% because we were already financed through Capital One at 5.5%

I did the whole thing via E-mail. Sent my first offer to the Dealership at -10% from MSRP=>($36,108) of the vehicle ($32,475) and promptly recieved a reply of great news your price will be invoice $32,603 less 1,000 cash back or 2.9% Financing.

We drove up to the dealership and the car was gased and waiting. While other people were arguing and sweating and waiting and some who didn't even know what was going on and were haggling for hours to try and get close to a good deal, we were in and out in 43min.

I am 27 and this has been my first new vehicle purchase and I feel like I got a great deal with ablolutely no stress & no haggling; all because I was able to make an educated offer and walked into the dealership with financing and the knowledge of what I should be paying for the vehicle I wanted.

So here is my tip for the next person who is looking to purchase a new vehicle.

Go to the manufacturers website and find the model you like.

Then tinker with the options you might want.

Then surf to all the dealerships websites in a 250 mile radius from your location and see what they have in inventory because most of my local or close dealerships didn't even keep inventory stock on thier websites but when I drove by they were there but the destination dealerships kept an up to date inventory on the web with MSRP and Invoice price.

Find out what the invoice price should be including the options you must have.

Send out several email requests for info or just make an offer if you know what other people are paying like I did by reading lots of posts on this website. Someone out there knows consumers are getting more & more educated and less & less Ripoff-able thanks in part to the internet and great consumer websites like this.

So here is the final kinny on my purchase.
    2006 4Runner 4X4 Sport Edition $31,603.00

Options

50 State Emissions
    Tow Hitch
    6 Disk changer w/mp3 Jack
    Auto Dimming Rear View w/compass
    Double Decker Cargo
    6 airbags incl side curtains
    115v AC power outlet
    Garage Door Opener w/homelink
    Sunroof
    Spoiler
    Daytime Running lights
    Exhaust tip
    Floor mats
    Cargo mat
    First aid Kit
    Cargo Net

14-20 Mpg in the city
    17-25 Highway

And ther you have it.
  • dedheddedhed Member Posts: 6
    had all avail. accesories.
    sticker - $36400
    paid - $31900
    2.9% for 60 months

dead :) or no deal?
  • kmart2kmart2 Member Posts: 1
    Looking for pab5 - is there any way you could tell us where you bought that '06 4Runner Sport? Sounds like a great price for a V8! Thanks
  • ribbonspeakersribbonspeakers Member Posts: 8
    Let's say we want an '06 4Runner V6, 2WD, base or mid trim level, MSRP around $30k. Will probably put a minimum down & finance the rest, intending to pay down the loan after we sell our Tahoe (which has been a great vehicle BTW). What's a good price for the 4Runner if we shop hard, willing to drive a couple hundred miles in the San Francisco north bay area?

Thanks all, love the website.
  • robkrunsrobkruns Member Posts: 4
    I got quoted 34,748 for a 4x4 V6 Limited with the following:

Daytime Running Lights
    Side Curtin Airbags
    Rear Spoiler
    JBL Stereo
    Tow Hitch and Sunroof

I went in, today, to work on this deal, but was told that the price offered included a $1000 rebate that couldn't be combined with the special lease money factor of 0.00055 (tier 1).

The thing that gets me is that in several quotes the $1000 rebate was mentioned, yet never was it said that it couldn't be combined with the lease rate. I even went out of my way to ask if the $34,748 price was the same for purchase versus lease and mentioned the .00055 money factor...

Edmunds pricing states that the invoice is about $35,624. The dealer is claiming that the without the 1K rebate he is still $500 under invoice...funny. I walked out...I do want to buy this

Any thoughts?? I am thinking they should split the difference or come down to a real $500 under invoice.
  • crw1688crw1688 Member Posts: 4
    While I'm not in the SF area, my sister just bought a 4Runner V6 2WD SR5 with typical options (floor mats, leather steering wheel, etc.) plus towing package and moonroof. The MSRP was roughly $31,000. She paid $27,500 flat OTD including fees. Again, this was in TX/LA and at the end of February.
  • lakelady222lakelady222 Member Posts: 1
    I have searched the entire western US and not come up w/a suitable vehicle...The only area that orders this vehicle w/this suspension is the Pac NW and they don't have exactly what I'm looking for...Does anyone know where else in the US they order these? The ones I found didn't have 3 other options I need: Nav, Daytime Running lites, and Side air bags.
    A dealership near us has 3,000 off an SR5 2006 with 6 extra options exactly like the one we purchased.

That would put it in the 26,000 range.
  • pixzi1374pixzi1374 Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking to buy a new SR5 4WD with rear spoiler, sunroof, trailer hitch (Chicago/West suburbs). I just got an internet quote for 28,700 (including the $1000 cash-back). What kind of a deal should I be trying to get? I'm a female buyer and I worry about how dealers deal with women. Any advice is much appreciated.
  • brown3brown3 Member Posts: 26
    Sounds like a really nice vehicle - a 4x4 Sport like the one I'm trying to find in central TX, with only a few differences in the minor options.

I see you got the side airbags - I called the Toyota Customer Experience Center to verify they're available, as NO repeat NO local dealer has a 4Runner with side airbags other than a Limited. One dealer even claimed " . . . they're not made that way . . . "

What dealer did you buy from, and where are they?

And is the "Homelink" incorporated into the rear view mirror?
  • phiberopphiberop Member Posts: 3
    I delt with Sandy Springs Toyota in Atlanta, GA.

The sales manager promised me $500 below invoice price as well as the $2000 rebate that is going on in March '06. He also stated that I wouldn't have to pay for any options I did not want and that he could get the vehicle from anywhere if he had to. I pondered over it for a day and got onto Edmunds to print out all my options and the invoice price.

When I get back to the dealership the next day the sales manager couldn't locate a 4Runner that exactly matched what I wanted, and the closest match was in Winston-Salem, NC. I wasn't able to get the side air bags and the rear air suspension and shock upgrade that I wanted. So, he prints off a "factory invoice price sheet". And the invoice price is different from Edmunds!

My Edmunds.com invoice price for the vehicle: $36,100
    Their Toyota invoice price sheet: $37,300

He proceeds to tell me that Edmunds doesn't match up to their actual invoice price most of the time. So here's where I ended up:

2006 4Runner Limited V8 4x4
    Driftwood Pearl Exterior, Taupe interior
    Options:
    Moonroof
    JBL Synthesis stereo
    Daytime running lights
    Toyo Plus Protection Group (I didn't want this)
    MSRP: $41,362.35
    Their quoted invoice price: $37,300
    Edmunds.com invoice price: $36,100

So, by his deal I was able to get the car for $500 below invoice, which came out to $36,800 from his invoice price.

Here is my buyers order from there:
    Subtotal: $36,800
    Service fee: $599.50
    Total taxable: $37,399.50
    Tax (7%): $2,617.97
    TTL: $38
    Warranty rights: $3
    Total Cash Price: $40,058.47
    Rebate: -$2000
    Cash due on delivery: $38,058.47

So is this a good deal (and the one I thought I was getting) or did I just get scammed by a bait and switch? Is he correct by saying that the real factory invoice is different from what Edmunds tells you?
  • brown3brown3 Member Posts: 26
    Toyota dealers in the South and Southeast seem to get their stuff through either Gulf States Toyota or Southeast Toyota - both of these distributors put on lots of trash fees for advertising, inventory tax, administration, etc. I've found it's difficult to get a "real" price.

For what it's worth, I've gone through the exercise at some of the Toyota dealer websites in Central Texas of picking a vehicle and checking what the price is for, say, an offer of 1% or 10% over invoice, and then working backward to see what they claim the invoice is. It usually works out to $1100-$1200 above what you get from Edmunds, Kelly Blue Book, or NADA.

Whether it's due to creative accounting or distributor extra profit, as far as I can tell ALL the local dealers are doing it, to pretty much the same degree. :(
    I believe the 4WD SR5 is normally around 5,000 more than the 2WD. The hitch close to 2,000, spoiler close to 1,000, the moonroof not sure about.

It looks like a good deal to me for a 4WD with those options. I'm no expert and would like to hear others opinion.
  • bobgordonbobgordon Member Posts: 156
    Over the weekend, I went to our local Toyota dealer to look at the FJ Cruiser and well, I came home with a new 4Runner Sport 4X4.
    Here's how it played out;
    Traded in my '04 Highlander Limited with 16K miles.
    The options on the 4Runner are;
    Premium AM/FM 6-disc in dash CD changer w/MP3/WMA Playback capability.
    Auto dimming rear view mirror w/compass.
    Double decker cargo system.
    115V AC power point.
    Rear spoiler w/center mount stop light.
    Power tilt/slide moonroof w/sunshade.
    Trailer hitch w/ball mount wired in trailer socket.
    Carpet floor/cargo mats.

Tax, title, license, blah, blah, blah....I had to come up with $7,500. :)
  • getthatpotgetthatpot Member Posts: 1
    06 sport 4x4 v8 for 35,100 out the door.
    just standard options
    also, the bad thing is I have to wait 4 weeks cause all the dealers in the area said sports v8 was hard to come by, so I was forced to make a deal and put down a $500 deposite before they can get the truck. The only thing I know about the car is the color. Should I be worried?
  • yujinyujin Member Posts: 6
    is this a good deal or should I ask for more discount?
    '06 Limited 4WD V6 4Runner
    sunroof
    JBL stereo
    Running Lights
    Selling Price = 31975
    With all the fees = 34905

with the driveout price, I was thinking of 34000 only. $905 discount is just right or too much to ask for?
  • mike805mike805 Member Posts: 33
    I spent a lot of time last year trying to reconcile the differences between Edmunds and dealer invoice. Edmunds base cost includes 2% of base MSRP as holdback. The dealer invoice includes this base holdback plus about 10% holdback on port installed options (PIO),approximately $690 advertising fee and $300 inventory fee. It is hard to negotiate them out of the advertising and inventory fees even though they are not a real cost of the vehicle. The holdback fees and inventory fee are rebated to the dealer after they sell the vehicle. Your service fee of $599 seems unreasonable for processing the paperwork.
  • bitoybitoy Member Posts: 6
    hello friends, anyone who bought a 4RUNNER SR5 4.0L V6 around manchester New Hampshire? or concord New Hampshire? any input .... thanks
    2006 4Runner 4WD V6 Sport Edition
    daytime running lights
    JBL systhesis stereo
    Double Decker Cargo
    Extended Service Contract

Driveout price = 31565
  • ryanmb21ryanmb21 Member Posts: 3
    :) I just got a....

2006 4runner 4wd v6 sport edition
    tow hitch
    jbl 6 disc
    daytime lights
    homelink
    carpet mats
    aftermarket alarm $500

for $30,380 with 2.9% financing or I could've had it for $29,380 if I had taken the $1K rebate. I took the financing.
    hey ryanmb21,

is the price you posted after tax? you got a lot of options...
  • jake28jake28 Member Posts: 4
    Just received a quote for the following:
    SR5 4X4 V6
    17" wheels
    sunroof
    rear spoiler
    tow package
    $28,500 plus tax
    salesperson said this is $200 over invoice and after the $1,000 rebate - they also don't add tag, title or prep fees.

What do you guys think?
  • juicy1juicy1 Member Posts: 1
    just came back from dealership in massachusetts. quoted a price for a 06 sr5 lease @3years, 12K miles $340/month. the limited was also 3 years, 12K miles(demo w/2,ooo miles on it), for $425/month. are these decent prices???
  • onebaronebar Member Posts: 1
    I was pleased with my experience with Boulder Toyota. I bought an LTD V8 with these options:
    Side Airbags (GY)
    X-Reas Suspension (NH)
    Nav System (NV)
    Spoiler (RF)
    Daytime Running Lights (RL)
    Moonroof (SR)
    Floor/Cargo Mats (CF)
    Wheel Locks (WL)
    MSRP: $43,895. I paid $38,475 out the door, excluding state tax.
  • nj4runnernj4runner Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a 2006 SR5 with 4wd sunroof with leather interior and pin strips for $31,000 with 2.9 financing over 5 years. It didn't have heated seats, that i think i'll regret here in the Jersey.

Any idea what it would cost to add after market or dealer seat heaters?
  • mathgirlmathgirl Member Posts: 4
    Is this a fair deal????

basic sr5 with moonroof
    roofrack,crossbars
    tonneau cover
    tow hitch/ball
    floor mats

sticker 30,066
    fleet before fees/rebate 26200
  • wvgasguywvgasguy Member Posts: 1,405
    Edmunds has always matched up with my deals. However I've never priced out the SE Area pricing so I'd want to compare it to Kelly Blue Book invoice (kbb.com) should give the same price excepth I know kbbspecifically has the SE Area options listed

If you were $500 under their invoice price but still gave a $600 service fee(what is that all about?) then you paid $1000 over Edmunds invoice, which is what I would have seen in WV. Additionally I would not have had to buy the "Protection Group" another SE Option (mark up). My 06 Sport Edition was $3500 off MSRP + the $1000 Rebate.

The South East Toyota Region has some strange stuff. Toyota ought to shut them down or make them line up with certain requirements to match up the rest of the country.
  • mathgirlmathgirl Member Posts: 4
    I got it!!! And for even less. I ended up getting it $25,900-screaming deal!!! More than $1100 under invoice..And the transaction was sooooo easy!!! Longo Toyota in El Monte Ca. I did the dealing over the internet with the fleet/internet department. We ran our trade in through carmax and got a fair price.
  • ryanmb21ryanmb21 Member Posts: 3
    sorry for the delay my $30K price was before tax
  • jamesbass1jamesbass1 Member Posts: 75
    This afternoon in Orlando, FL I test drove a the 2006 4Runner Sports Edition 4WD V8 w/moonroof, upgraded JBL Synthesis 6-Disc In-Dash, Carpet/Trunk Mat, Double Decker Cargo System, Daytime Running Lights, and Southeast Toyota Toyoguard Protection Group ($699). Titanium Metallic w/dark charcoal cloth interior.

Given a MSRP of $37,160.00, and was offered a sale price of $31,150.00. What kind of deal does this sound like to all you Edmund Toyota Forum Members? Thanks.
  • bornoborno Member Posts: 77
    sounds like invoice less the rebate. A good deal, although a dealer in Mass said he could do invoice less 2% and still give the rebate or low financing from toyota.
  • upsandownsupsandowns Member Posts: 1
    First, thanks to all you who take the time to post your experiences. It was very helpful in purchasing our 4-Runner. I did not get the cheapest deal, but then I feel it was a fair deal and that is all that counts. I bought the SR5 4x4 with moonroof, roof-rack, trailer hitch, side airbags, etc. I could never match up a perfect invoice with Edmunds because they included some obscure items I didn't know about until after I purchased the car.

I did my shopping in Sacramento, CA and spoke with 4 major dealers before deciding on my car. One offered me $900 above invoice, the second one $125 over invoice and the last $150 over invoice (Elk Grove). I called Elk Grove back, and he then offered $100 over invoice. We never continued the negotiation because I ended up purchasing it at Roseville.

I don't believe any of their invoice prices were the same as Edmunds. The dealer I bought from actually claimed his invoice was $450 higher than what Edmunds was, but since I never gott an accurate match of items for a true invoice, I didn't argue it any further. I presumed because the deal was so simple that the salesman was more than happy with his price, but then so were we. Details were: MSRP $33,458, offered at $30,330 (supposedly $125 over dealer's invoice or $30,205) Edmunds showed an invoice of $29,655, or a difference of $426. I took the $1500 incentive for a net price before fees and taxes of $28,806. So I paid $551 more than invoice, but $1000 below Edmund's "what people are paying." Of course take away the incentive and I would be paying more.

I got impression after researching all available inventory that Toyota didn't have to bargain. There were very few models to choose from even with all the 4 major dealers. Only a hand-full of limited models (all white, red or silver) and only about 4 or 5 sport models (a couple in Dark Mica, but the rest in the aforementioned colors). All this right before Memorial Day blow-out sale. I probably should have waited until after Monday, but with only about 4 or 5 vehicles left in the color I wanted Driftwood Pearl and only 1 or 2 with the moonroof, I decided to purchase now. It's possible that they would get more stock in, but I didn't want to take the chance, nor miss the incentive. BTW, Roseville were very professional, and I have no complaints.

Biggest mistake--I purchased the pre-paid maintenance plan. According to Edmunds routine maintenance should only cost about $350 for the first 35K. I have it for 4 years, but I paid $900! I didn't think to negotiate it. Say no to all the extras! Good luck to the rest of you. May you make a wise and fair deal.
  • mminkousmminkous Member Posts: 6
    Just FYI, you can ask for refund if you decide not to keep the 4-yr pre-paid maintenance. According to the dealers, it would take about 1-2 weeks for the paperwork to settle. You should read your agreement carefully. It's not too late to refund.
  • rik4rik4 Member Posts: 90
    yes you can still get a refund. and that is what i would do. you will never ever spend that much . so save the mula and buy something you really want or need instead.