Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota 4Runner Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• azrls3220azrls3220 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2007 SR5 2wd
    9,981 Miles,
    Gold
    Pretty much base with 17 in tires / side airbags
    Bought on 01/13/08
    $26,889 out the door - 22k for the truck, $1800 for an alarm, 800 for window etch.
    I made every mistake I can think of since I had just been in a car accident and shouldn't have been walking around much less buying a car.
    How did I do? / how much did I put on the table... thx.
  • wmp1283wmp1283 Member Posts: 7
    I just bought a 2007 V-6 Sport Edition 4WD w/ 11K miles that was in showroom new condition.

It had every option (electrochromatic mirror, sunroof, homelink, towing package, JBL system, alarm, side curtain airbags, 115V, double decker cargo, mats) - except the NAV system. It also had an aftermarket Magnaflow cat-back exhaust system, and K&N filter (I love the sound except for an annoying drone at 1300-1400 rpm).

I paid $27,750 plus tax. I think it was a fair, but not great deal. But it was $3200 better than I was able to get on a new one after working eight different dealers in the area - best I could get was $5K off MSRP.

I'm thrilled w/ the purchase. Already took it up to new property we bought and HAD to use the 4WD on the primitive road to get there. Steep steep steep, covered w/ snow and ice in parts, mud inculding a pretty nice foot deep 30 foot long puddle/mudhole, etc. It was great to through it into 4WD, lock the differential, and know that I would not have been able to get there in our other cars.

Plus on the 5 hour trip I got 23.5 MPG going 60-65 up and down the mountains. In pure city driving the past 8 days I'm getting 19.5 MPG per my odometer and the amount of fuel I put in (the on board computer seems to read 2mpg higher than that).

The only thing I don't like is the previous owner put one of those darn smelly xmas trees scented things. Its taking forever for the scent to clear.
  • jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    The car probably wholesaled used for about 20000 when you bought it. You paid probably 24200 or so. Assuming 2300 in taxes, there have been worse deals made., but not great. A bit better deal if it was a demo and you are the 1st owner. If they knew you had been de-horsed recently and were actually in a cast or brace and such you're lucky you have your shirt.

You may probably be able to buy that truck now in an 08 brand new for 25000 or less (5000-6000 off sticker, whatever that is) showing that 1yr old (or less) used cars or demos aren't usually worth messing with in todays competitive new car market.

--jjf

bought a 2007 SR5 2wd
    9,981 Miles,
    Gold
    Pretty much base with 17 in tires / side airbags
    Bought on 01/13/08
    $26,889 out the door - 22k for the truck, $1800 for an alarm, 800 for window etch.
    I made every mistake I can think of since I had just been in a car accident and shouldn't have been walking around much less buying a car.
    How did I do? / how much did I put on the table... thx.
  • dieselman8dieselman8 Member Posts: 3
    I actually purchased new 2008 SR5 4WD w/ convenience package for 27,495 + tax OTD in Chicago.
  • boiangiuboiangiu Member Posts: 1
    Hi, looking to buy/finance a new 4 runner. I'm willing to pay 10,000 down, and finance 400/mo over 5 years (34K total). What's the best deal for that money? I'd like a 3rd row and blutooth for that...but if it's a good deal either are negotiable...thanks!
    Ari
  • jcookjcook Member Posts: 5
    I have been quoted over the phone from a dealer that I purchase my camry through, a 2008 4runner Limited 4.7 v8 AWD with the following options:

- NV - Navigation with JBL/Audio
    - QV - Limited Extra Value Package 1
    - RL - Daytime Running lights
    - FE - 50 state emissions

MSRP = $42,435
    Internet Sales Price = $36,675 includes $1,500 rebate
    Sale Price minus rebate =$38,175

Residual value = $22078 which equates to interest rate of 0.72%
    MF = 0.00030 which is 0.72% interest rate (taking lease rate gives back the $1,500 rebate)

After 1st payment and fees I was quoted $514-$527 lease for 36 months 12,000
    miles

Is this a good deal and how much better can I do?
  • jeff323jeff323 Member Posts: 2
    Feel good about the deal I got either way, but guess I'm glutten for punishment:

2006 Charcoal/Gun-Metal SR5 with Leather, dual power seats, tow package, rear spoiler, dual level cargo storage, alloy wheels, power sun roof, single CD/MP3 player with aux - outstanding condition and lightly driven...

Been trying to get a TMV value, but can't seem to combine those features on an SR5.

32K miles - $20,300 + TTL - I get the arguments for brand new value, but glad I have 7-8K in my pocket, and it feels like I'm driving a new vehicle!

How'd I do?
  • alex214alex214 Member Posts: 1
    This is a great forum and the following are highlights of my recent 4runner SE purchase...

What I wanted: Any Sports Edition with light color
    What I bought: V6 4WD with QW, RL, B0, P4
    Time took me to get an agreeable deal: 1 month.

Dealers that have reasonable quotes and good response to internet inq: (price listed are before rebate deduction)
    Manhattan Toyota (Socal) - best price for urban runner 4WD $32000
    Longo Toyota (Socal) - v8 4WD with QW, CF, RL, NE, and bluetooth for $32998
    Sports City Toyota (Dallas) - good deals with 8686 V8 4WD, but I didn't want the leather upgrade they had. nice and responsive
    Cowboy Toyota (Dallas) - kept quoting 4runner they didn't have - waste of time
    Texas Toyota (Grapevine) - V6 4WD with QW, CF, RL, NE, Extramile B, P4 $30820 had a few hundred miles on it, but I eventually bought this one.

Bad dealer - Toyota of Plano - DO NOT BOTHER getting quotes from them, they won't honor it. We agreed to a Urban runner 2WD at 30600. Internet sales called back 2 hours later to tell me that they should make more money on this "special" edition runner. They have no business integrity and I would never do any business with them. There are so many urban runners around, you will find one at invoice with no problem.

There are only a few 4runners without the useless extra miles package, and protection package. Ignore all the decore packages that dealers add on, unless it's any hardware like bluetooth or alarm. All Toyota dealers list their inventories online, look only at the IN STOCK units. AVAILABLE status means they don't have it and they won't give you a good deal on them. I negotiated mostly over the phone and email. 4Runner has $2000 rebate and a strange $400 student rebate if you finance with Toyota.

I hope this will help someone get a good deal on a new 4runner. I'll list driving impression details elsewhere, but in short, it's an awsome ride comparable to Lexus GX, but feels much more nimble and not so top heavy. Lexus interior is much better in comparison.
  • neworleansmikeneworleansmike Member Posts: 1
    to those of you who are knowledgeable of leases:

2007 4 runner sr5 stickers for 33,510
    my trade is a 2007 Toyota Tacoma that I owe 19,135 on.
    I was quoted 2000 down plus first payment
    48 payments of 470 and a residual of 13,567.....

does this sound good
  • eng208eng208 Member Posts: 10
    We recently decided to buy another 4 runner and keep our 99. It has been great. No need to sell it. I worked up what I think is a good price on a 07 SR5 with 24547 miles, certified Toyota at a big dealership. It is a V6, 2 WD with all of the exterior trim options (visor, foglights steps, etc) has leather, power seats, sunroof, JBL 6 disk changer, many other options. I am getting it for 22K, but then buying the flip down DVD entertainment system and having it installed at the dealership for an additional 1100 dollars. MSRP on the truck was 34979 new. It was sold at this dealership originally, and all maintenance was done here. Very very clean with no scratches, dents or stains. Is this a decent deal? I have been away from buying and keeping up with the prices of vehicles for several years now and have lost touch with the market. Also, how good is the DVD that Toyota sells in their accessory catalog? That is where this one is coming from MSRP of 1725.

I usually do not air out my financial stuff on the WWWEB, but am kind of desperate to make sure that I am not making a huge mistake.
    Thanks.
    Look up the vehicle on kbb.com and edmunds.com and get the wholesale price for your used vehicle. I would start with for somewhere below wholesale with a target of wholesale to 1000+ over. 'The market is slow for these vehicles and and the prices are probably dropping more than the books reflect. Any warranty significantly over the remaining factory warranty would be perhaps another 500 bucks.

If you look up a new 08 on edmunds and the msrp is truly 35000 inc dest. (check it) you could probably buy it new for 28000-29000 or possibly less.(about 6000-7000 off). A 35000 4runner will wholesale for about 23000 or less 07 used with hi miles. They are giving you a below wholesale deal to start which means you should check. Also carfax for wrecks and good long test drive. If everything checks 22k seems like a good deal.

--jjf

We recently decided to buy another 4 runner and keep our 99. It has been great. No need to sell it. I worked up what I think is a good price on a 07 SR5 with 24547 miles, certified Toyota at a big dealership. It is a V6, 2 WD with all of the exterior trim options (visor, foglights steps, etc) has leather, power seats, sunroof, JBL 6 disk changer, many other options. I am getting it for 22K, but then buying the flip down DVD entertainment system and having it installed at the dealership for an additional 1100 dollars. MSRP on the truck was 34979 new. It was sold at this dealership originally, and all maintenance was done here. Very very clean with no scratches, dents or stains. Is this a decent deal? I have been away from buying and keeping up with the prices of vehicles for several years now and have lost touch with the market. Also, how good is the DVD that Toyota sells in their accessory catalog? That is where this one is coming from MSRP of 1725.

I usually do not air out my financial stuff on the WWWEB, but am kind of desperate to make sure that I am not making a huge mistake.
    Thanks.
  • eng208eng208 Member Posts: 10
    Thanks, I looked it up on the TMV at Edmunds and the certified dealer MSRP is 265xx. Please understand that this is not the starting deal. The original selling price was 25900. I knew that was high, and told them that if I could get the truck for 21800, we could do it. They countered with 22500 and I left to go home. We live about 100 miles away and I expected a phone call before they closed for the evening. It came 30 minutes before closing and this is the deal that I was able to get. We feel pretty good about it. It is the most we have ever paid for a vehicle, but it is also the nicest vehicle we have ever made a deal on. When we consider that it is a practically brand new looking and smelling truck with almost every option available for that price, I was pretty excited. We keep vehicles usually for 8-10 years before getting rid of them or dropping them to third car duty, which is what the 99 will go to.

My dad has a 05 SR5 V6 2WD he bought new and paid 26500 out the door. It is a standard SR5 with no options though. He added a spoiler and leather afterwards. It has been an excellent vehicle with the only issue being the drivers seat needed replacing due to popping. He did have a rock put a hole in the condenser a few weeks ago, but that wasn't Toyotas fault. Insurance covered it and Toyota fixed it professionally, and gave him a rental while his was getting fixed.
  • piaoliangmmpiaoliangmm Member Posts: 3
    I got a price quote from local dealer for the 2008 SR5 2wd 4.0L V6 4 runner
    I am not sure if it is good or still has room for it . Could somebody help me please.
    the price is : 24073+TTD
    I would love to get it this weekend.
    PS. I am in tennessee

thank you
  • lilelvislilelvis Member Posts: 82
    Dealers are advertising $24500 +TTD for 4wd SR5s. I would think a 2wd would be quite a bit more than $500 cheaper. (That $24500 assumes you apply the $2500 toyota rebate toward the purchase.)

If your price is 24,000 in lieu of the rebate (i.e. taking the financing) it might be a good deal. I don't know what invoice is on a 2wd 4runner. Personally, I wouldn't go any higher than invoice minus the rebate. Those cars are just sitting on the lots right now.
    5k off msrp was nothing to write home about in the 4 runner the last few years about now. Should be more off with the slowness of the buisness. If you look up the price of a used 07 like yours on kbb.com with 17000 miles on the odometer it probably has a trade in value of almost 10000 off msrp. Even this number may be optimistic. So about 7000 off msrp wouldn't exactly be giving it away.

Good luck
    --jjd
  • piaoliangmmpiaoliangmm Member Posts: 3
    model: 2008 4 runner 4-door SR5 2wd 4.0L V6
    vehicle base price: 28015.00
    plus: 50 state emissions
    power 8-way driver and 4-way passenger
    value package
    daytime running lights
    weight carrying tow hitch and ball mount
    front skid plate
    carpet floor mats /cargo
    total accessories : 1942.00
    total: 30642.00

my out door e-price is : 24073.00 + TTL

I am thinking another 500off 24073.00. What do you guys think of it ? ( I am using 3000 rebate )

I am in tennessee state . dealer here offer 3000 rebate

thank you !
    Optioned as it is, it looks like you're right at invoice minus the rebate. I would have thought invoice would have been lower. Dealers are also getting $500 marketing support and they have their holdback of several hundred dollars. I certainly wouldn't pay more than that offer, but I think I would try to squeeze another $500-1000 out of them. You may also want to see if the incentives change next month. They may even combine it with the APR. Good luck!
  • skr2skr2 Member Posts: 32
    Hi,
    I am in the market for 2WD 4.0L V6 Sports Edition vehicle. I am in the Dallas Area. Can anybody help me what is the best deals available now for this vehicle, plus would appreciate if anybody can point out what are must have options on this vehicle.
    Thanks in advance
  • i30rlsi30rls Member Posts: 28
    Sport Edition already comes with couple of extra options, but if you really want to get a good price, don't ask them to add anything on to the Sports Edition. If they have it in stock in the lot and you like what you see, you tell them you'll buy it that day if they give you the price you looking for. Adding extra options to the Sports is unnecessary, since it already has many extras. If you want toyota navigation system and leather seats, you probably better off looking for the Limited edition than Sports.

Word of advice. Since gas prices are going up, is it really worth buying this car?
    I have '07 Sports Edition. The car's average MPG (city and highway) is 17.6
    And also it started to rust in the rear underneath. I would not buy 4Runner.
  • paul9903paul9903 Member Posts: 4
    First time leaser and don't know what I should be looking at for a cap cost.

Right now looking at a 36 month lease on a '08 4Runner Limited V6 RWD. The dealer is quoting a cap cost of invoice, advertising fee, $10 gasoline charge, $434 for Sirius sat. radio, and $500 dealer "profit".

Is that something I should negotiate down on considering the economy and car buying climate?

Much thanks in advance for any/all help on this.
  • ponytrekkerponytrekker Member Posts: 310
    Very much so. I would be looking for invoice minus incentives. That's what I paid for a 4runner in '05 when gas was under 3 bucks a gal.
  • paul9903paul9903 Member Posts: 4
    Also needed to add, three Toyota dealerships in the area have all shown me the same rebate sheet that shows I can either take a $2500 rebate on the cap cost OR take a money factor of .00050.

I assumed the money factor would be the better of the two to take, but too new at this to know for sure.
    If you look at past posts the 4runner in the 30k range has been a 7000 off msrp vehicle for numerous years in july and august. Toyota dealers are unusually good at working these things for good dough (they have a loyal audience) but with today's situation for SUV's I would shoot for 10000-11000 off from 10-20 or more dealers via email last week of the month around my locale and see what springs up.

You may be able to buy a used 07 4runner with low miles from a dealer below kbb wholesale (trade in) , much less dealer or private party retail. So that avenue may be worthwhile too. The market for 20 mpg trucks is in the tank

Good luck
    --jjf
  • as91as91 Member Posts: 3
    I've been shopping at 5 dealerships so far and you can only play them against each other for so long. The best price I've been given on a 4Runner Ltd V6 has been $500 below invoice (OTD is only about $2000 below MSRP) and that was two months ago. I would be taking the financing so the increase of cash rebate from $2000 to $2500 and now $3000 this month means nothing to me. Should I be holding out for more? I've tried even $1000 under invoice and the dealers think I'm nuts.
    Thats silly, You need to get 10-20 bids last week of the month via email. Being flexible on colors and options is helpful. Most eager 2-5 get your cell to work with for a few days.

Look up the trade in value of a 07 4runner used with average miles like the 08 you are looking at new on kbb.com. Once you see your 08 will be worth $13000 (realistically more) or so off msrp in 12 months 2000-3000 off msrp isn't really that realistic or enticing. Even 8000 off isn't giving them away. Eating 10000 to drive a unpopular vehicle for 12 months would definitely have me wanting more off.

If your very picky and want the only tangerine green limited within 200 miles and that dealer knows that is very popular then you'll have to be more flexible or pay up for green.

Dealers practice their nuts look in the mirror every morning.

Good luck
    --jjf

I've been shopping at 5 dealerships so far and you can only play them against each other for so long. The best price I've been given on a 4Runner Ltd V6 has been $500 below invoice (OTD is only about $2000 below MSRP) and that was two months ago. I would be taking the financing so the increase of cash rebate from $2000 to $2500 and now $3000 this month means nothing to me. Should I be holding out for more? I've tried even $1000 under invoice and the dealers think I'm nuts.
    I traded my 2005 4runner in in April. I got 12k for it. Now book value is listed as 8k.
  • hcw2008hcw2008 Member Posts: 2
    I too am having problems getting any of the dealers in my area to budge on the price of a 2008 SR5. All of them keep trying to say how good of a deal the $2,500 incentive is and want to give this deal:

MSRP 30,809
    Price: $28,309
    MINUS incentive $2,500
    Final Price (Excluding tax etc.) $25,809

I would buy it for that price if I could get zero percent financing, but otherwise it is a bad deal. Even tried about $500 below invoice and five dealerships acted like I had lost my mind. It is amazing because their are over 120 4 runners (2008) on these lots!
    I don't get it either. The incentive for August is now $3000 or 0.0% financing. What does everyone reading this think next month's incentive will be? Would they ever combine the offer? SUV's are not selling, right?

Vehicle I want - Total OTD would be around 39,500 loaded. The MSRP is at 41,500. Am I looking at this the wrong way? To me, it's only $2000 less than MSRP. The dealer tells me thatI have to include taxes on the MSRP to look at the deal. Am I asking too much here? There has to be room there.
  • hcw2008hcw2008 Member Posts: 2
    No I don't think it is a good deal. I am assumming they are giving you about $2,500 off MSRP and the $3000 rebate. I am also assuming you are looking to buy a 4X4 limited with the DVD option. The MSRP $41,500 and Invoice around $37,000. If they give you $2,500 off MSRP that leaves them $39,000 and they make $2,000 off the sale. Remember, the $3000 incentive does not effect their bottom line, it comes from the manufacturer. Now it they are giving you $5,500 off MSRP with no incentive and zero percent financing it is an ok deal. (assumming $41,500 -$5,500 + $3,500TTL = $39,500).
    Read some of my posts the last few pages and a few others. The 33000 4 runner has been a 7000 off vehicle in july for the last 4 or so previous years. This was before the train wreck in the 20 mpg mkt.

Toyota has always been good a working the toyota crowd for maximum dough. A 08 41000 msrp 4runner probably has a kbb trade in value of 27000 or less in its 07 used version. 9000 off msrp isn't a runaway bargain.

If toyota has its inventory control in good shape (I don't see how, but they don't rely on trucks like the domestics) And you can't get a bid for a good price look into the used market on cars.com. You should be able to pick up an 07 for kbb trade in or below.

Good luck
    --jjf
  • donselldonsell Member Posts: 27
    Looking to buy a Toyota 4Runner SR5 for the wife. Found the exact car she wants, down to the Galactic Mica paint, it's the V6 4WD. The MSRP is $33K, invoice is $29,315. It has a $2500 cash back offer. It was a demo so it has 4650 miles on it.

They're asking $27,085, or 270 over invoice-incentive. Edmunds TMV price for the vehicle is the $27,085 price. We haven't gotten to discuss the final price yet.

What is reasonable to expect for the discount of the demo?
    They can call it what they want - it's used. Invoice doesn't really apply. The dealers cost on a used vehicle is basically the wholesale price (even though this particular vehicle may never have actually been previously sold). I don't know what the wholesale price is on a 2008 SR5, but I am quite certain it is several thousand below invoice. Given the market, invoice minus the incentive would be a decent price on a NEW vehicle. Although 5000 miles is not a lot in the big scheme of things, it is not the same as low miles by an actual owner who cared about their own car. This one was likely a loaner, or dealer car, driven by many people who probably cared little about it - mechanically or aesthetically.

I've seen several 2007s with 30K and under for less than $20K asking prices and they aren't moving. I would be thinking around $22-23K for a used 2008 SR5, but that's just a guess. However, there is no way I would touch that for $27K. You can buy a new one for that. Nor should you have any problem finding the exact one you want.
    Have you read the last few pages?

The 4runner has sold for 7000 off msrp frequently in august for the last few years, this before the train wreck in 20 mpg vehicles this year.

5000 miles on a 08 demo would be about an additional 1400 off your better quotes on a new one.

Good luck
    --jjf

Looking to buy a Toyota 4Runner SR5 for the wife. Found the exact car she wants, down to the Galactic Mica paint, it's the V6 4WD. The MSRP is $33K, invoice is $29,315. It has a $2500 cash back offer. It was a demo so it has 4650 miles on it.

They're asking $27,085, or 270 over invoice-incentive. Edmunds TMV price for the vehicle is the $27,085 price. We haven't gotten to discuss the final price yet.

What is reasonable to expect for the discount of the demo?
    Yes, I'd in no way give them what they're asking, but I was unsure how to account for the miles on the demo. In research I found someone recommending 3K off plus 15 cents/mile. Given the slow sales I'll have to figure something else out.
    Well, if you think about it, whether or not that formula takes into account whether its a 33000 car or 15000 car if the demo has 900 miles on it 3100 off just for demo status isn't likely to happen. If my best (or among the best) price on a new one was 24000, I'd want 35c a mile or so for the demo miles. Demos frequently aren't the best deals out there.

Good luck
    --jjf
    Is there a source for finding true dealer cost? I know about the $2500 off MSRP or 0%. Other dealer incentives aren't publically advertised, but are they available anywhere?
    I believe true dealer cost (on a new vehicle) is simply invoice minus dealer holdback minus any factory to dealer incentives. Invoice and factory to dealer incentives can be found here on Edmunds.

I don't fully understand Dealer holdback, and the amount seems to vary dependant upon how long they have the vehicle in stock (30-60-90 days). It can amount to an extra several hundred dollars.

Generally, one would assume, a dealer wants to make at least SOME money on each sale, even if it is just a portion of the holdback. But, I could envision scenarioswhere a dealer would let a slow moving vehicle go at a loss just to make room (physically or financially) for better selling vehicles. For instance, if gas were to jump up 50% in a year a dealer may get rid of slow moving, gas guzzling SUVs to make room for hot selling compacts and hybrids. But that couldn't happen . . .

In other words, i know i would sell a car at a $500 loss if it meant I can restock it with a car that i would make $5000 on.
    Yes, it's holdback that I'm asking about. You hear of 4Runner deals of $7K under MSRP. On the vehicle I'm looking at is $32928, the invoice of 29,638 and an asking price of $29,946 before the $2500 rebate. This mean the dealer's initial offer is $307 above invoice.

I'm guessing at this point Toyota is paying the dealer quite a bit to clear out the '08s and the dealer will be making more than $307. I'd like a piece of that but it'd be nice to know what Toyota is paying them.
    Don't forget though, those numbers go out the window with a demo as that is more akin to a used vehicle. How do you price the benefit the dealer got from the use of that vehicle?

I, personally, would hesitate to take $300 over invoice on a BRAND NEW vehicle right now. I can't say what dealers will do since I have yet to actually negotiate for a 4runner, but rest assured, the deals aren't going to get any worse. We're only a month or two from 2009s hitting the showroom and gas prices are still high.

By the way, what options are on that 4runner? That invoice seems high for a SR5.
    I'm not to happy with the dealer selling the demo. He called yesterday and argued with me that it was in fact a new car. I understand that since it's never been titled that it's legally new, but that doesn't mean I'm paying new price for it.

Here is the MSRP.

I've found an identical vehicle at another dealer
    Vehicle Base Model ..........................:$ 30690.00 $ 30690.00

50 State Emissions .........................

Auto Dimming Rear View Mirror w/Compass .... 150.00

Double Decker Cargo System w/Cargo Net ..... 125.00

Value Package includes: 17" Alloy ......... 459.00

Wheels w/P265/65R17 Tires, Leather .........

Steering Wheel and Shift Knob: Includes: ...

Cruise Control & Audio Controls, Power .....

Tilt/Slide Moonroof w/Sunshade, Black ......

Roof Rack & Cross Bars, and Tonneau Cover ..

Rr Spoiler w/Center High Mounted Stop Lamp . 200.00

Weight Carrying Tow Hitch and Ball Mount ... 430.00

Kit (V6 Models Only) .......................

Carpet Floor Mats/Cargo .................... 199.00

--------- ---------

Total Accessories ...........................: $ 1563.00 $ 1563.00

Destination Charge ..........................: $ 685.00

---------

Total .......................................: $ 32938.00
    Have you read any of the above? Technically they are "new" 1st title, you want about 35c a mile off your best or bestest price on a new one, and frequently dealers like to work them (to people specifically looking for "demos") for more dough an ld they aren't worth screwing with.

There are many dealers within 150 miles of you, solicit bids from 15-20 via email, (price otd with all dealer fees and tax for your county) last week or so of the month and find 3-4 who need to sell (vs want which they all want)

Good luck
    --jjf

I'm not to happy with the dealer selling the demo. He called yesterday and argued with me that it was in fact a new car. I understand that since it's never been titled that it's legally new, but that doesn't mean I'm paying new price for it.

Here is the MSRP.

I've found an identical vehicle at another dealer
    Vehicle Base Model ..........................:$ 30690.00 $ 30690.00

50 State Emissions .........................

Auto Dimming Rear View Mirror w/Compass .... 150.00

Double Decker Cargo System w/Cargo Net ..... 125.00

Value Package includes: 17" Alloy ......... 459.00

Wheels w/P265/65R17 Tires, Leather .........

Steering Wheel and Shift Knob: Includes: ...

Cruise Control & Audio Controls, Power .....

Tilt/Slide Moonroof w/Sunshade, Black ......

Roof Rack & Cross Bars, and Tonneau Cover ..

Rr Spoiler w/Center High Mounted Stop Lamp . 200.00

Weight Carrying Tow Hitch and Ball Mount ... 430.00

Kit (V6 Models Only) .......................

Carpet Floor Mats/Cargo .................... 199.00

--------- ---------

Total Accessories ...........................: $ 1563.00 $ 1563.00

Destination Charge ..........................: $ 685.00

---------

Total .......................................: $ 32938.00
    When I said identical, I wasn't totally accurate - it's new, not a demo. I've e-mail dealers in a 250 mile radius and I have initial information back from a lot of them. I've told them I wouldn't be purchasing until Memorial day weekend. But I wonder if incentives will be better in September.
    Don't really mean to be a party pooper with many on the truck forums, but if one looks up a 38000 pathfinder on kbb.com (used 07 with average miles ) and finds it has a trade in value of about 17000 if that, (this is what your 08 will be worth in 12 months) 27000 (35% discount) is not really anything to write home about. Eating 10 grand to drive an unpopular gas consuming vehicle the first 12 months is really not that appealing.

As for Crazy sale (dealer ad) , its the dealers and factory going crazy to get rid of them and people crazy enough to buy them at such small discounts.

I believe a 08 34000msrp 4runner has a trade in value of about 17000 (07), making even a 9000 off msrp deal nothing to write home about. Perhaps the price situation will improve as the manufacturing adjusts (and used vehicle supply) over the next few years but 10-15k off msrp now is about what these vehicles are worth. If you need one fine, but don't go buying because of the "huge" 8-10k discounts.

Happy huntin

--jjf
    >> (this is what your 08 will be worth in 12 months)

More like when it rolls out the door.
    You bring up good points JJF. I think it works well as an example. But, you have to remember a few things: MSRP is virtually meaningless. To get true depreciation, you need to take the acquisition cost, not the mfr's pipe dream. Which is why a $34,000 MSRP 4runner is really just a $25,000 SUV - because that is what it actually costs to a smart shopper.

another thing is that Pathfinders depreciate far quicker than 4 runners (which is why I bought a used Pathfinder years ago). If I considered a Pathfinder an eqivilant vehicle (personally), i would buy one used before I would buy a used 4runner.

Some buyers, like myself, hardly consider resale because they intend on keeping the vehicle until it is almost worthless anyway.

The unfortunate thing is that the info you posted should justify very low prices for SUVs. But the reality seems to be that dealers have a certain price on each vehicle that they won't go below - even if they have to sit on the vehicle for months. Maybe they're waiting for the mfr to bail them out with more incentives. i don't know. It just seems ludicrous that a dealer would hold onto a car well into the next model year (for months and months) rather than just drop it another $1000 and move on. But that is what they seem to do.

In other words, it seems a dealer would die with a vehicle rather than actually sell it at a $1000 loss (not $1000 below invoice, but $1000 under their cost). maybe they know the mfr will eventually give them more incentives or maybe they'll just use it as a loaner. I don't know, but it kind of flies in the face of supply and demand.
    Msrp being meaningless is no news.

25000 for a vehicle worth 17000 trade in is no great shakes (23000 is ok, but still) especially for an unpopular vehicle getting 20mpg.

Toyota is great at working its customers just as gm is theirs.

At this unusual time you should be able to get much more off. If Toyota has its inventory control in gear (they don't depend on trucks as much as domestics) they'll do the usual and work their devotees for top dollar. If they've got it really in gear you may not even be able to get the usual august 7000 discount in your area. If so the 07 used mkt may be where to look.

170 vehicles in a 30 mile radius may be a huge supply lying about, requiring a factory incentivevized "sale" . 20 or 30 lying about end of model year are leftovers that can be held onto over the next few months and sold (to the 10-20% of buyers who are truely clueless,or desperate) for good profit. Usually to those specifically looking for a "leftover" to save some money on. The profit on these sometimes approaches or exceeds the avg profit on the new ones. (why sell it to you for a 1000 loss if in a few months it will go for a 3000 profit from some guy with 4 kids in the showroom who's 13 year old car just exploded? (he drive's em until the wheels fall off) That small supply can be worked off like this.

The old, I don't care because I drive em until the wheels fall off is illusory, usually not too harmful because there seems to be some limit to how much people can be taken anymore but with trucks this year pretty impressive. Theoretically, paying 34000 full msrp for a vehicle that could be purchased for 23000-26000, should be purchased for 21000, and has a trade in of 17000 in 12 months should be irrelevant as you're holding on to it for 12 years, 34000, 26000 whats the diff, why even quibble over $2000?

Eating 10000 1st year from purchase price on a 38000 msrp Pathfinder LE or 10000 on a 34000 4runner (purchased for 27000) is 10k regardless, and Toyota's better depreciation etc becomes a bit meaningless, especially for trucks now.

Get 10-12k off these machines new (08), see if you can pick up a used 07 for around kbb wholesale, or pay up if you really really need a new big SUV. If thats the case your best bets may be with the domestics.

Good luck
    --jjf
  • boats3boats3 Member Posts: 42
    The deals are out there especially on used 4 Runners. I just picked up a 2006 fully loaded V8 except for the Nav, DVD, and Air Ride with less than 25,000 miles on it for under $20,000.

The gas mileage for me is actually better so far than what I was driving. I had a Liberty that got about 17.5 miles on the highway and the 4Runner is getting 19.5 so I improved but I know that I am in the minority.
    donsell - you can get true dealer cost through consumer reports. I guess they have a service for $15 to get the actual dealer cost. I have not done this but someone I know has. They said it was worth the $15 for negotiations.
    Very cool - I'll check it out. Thank you.
  • toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    Why waste the money? The figures are just as easily obtainable here on edmunds. Consumer reports is just looking to soak you for the $15-$30 to get their "advice". Or just as easy, when you're at the dealership, ask to see the invoice. If you're working with any sort of reputable dealership, they should be willing to bring you the invoice to look at. Toyota doesn't have volume incentives like many other manufacturers, and if you're working on a vehicle that has rebates or special financing, the invoice is the accurate amount that the dealership paid for the vehicle.

Just my $.02