Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota 4Runner Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• kansashickkansashick Member Posts: 39
    I got my 2010 Limited in late November. It is fully loaded and the MSRP was about $41k. I paid $1500 under MSRP and the trade in on my Jeep was competitive. I probably paid a little more than more recent buyers but I was one of the first in the city to get the car.
  • fxoffroadfxoffroad Member Posts: 67
    Hmm... "one of the first in the city to get the car(ie. 4runner)" or saving about $4,000.

I guess I'd prefer the cash over being the first kid in my neighborhood to get a new bike... but that's just me. :shades:
  • lmbeanlmbean Member Posts: 5
    Did anyone look at the 2010 Pathfinder before purchasing their 2010 4Runner ? We are deciding between both. Pathfinder seems to offer alot more yet is the Toyota 4Runner a better quality purchase. We will be driving alot in Colorado. Appreciate your help.
  • yassyyassy Member Posts: 70
    no offense, but a FULLY loaded Limited runs close to $44K with remote start, nav, 3rd row, special color, conveniance package..
  • alex412alex412 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks a million for the tip about using the Overstock.com car buying service. I got one offer for a Limited from a dealership in Maryland for $450 under invoice (±3,600 off msrp). This dealership didn't have a Limited in stock so I tried (with no success) to get a NJ dealership to match the offer. I had been in touch with Darcars Toyota in Silver Spring since I purchased my 4th Generation Toyota from them so I asked if they could match the offer. 24 hours later I have a brand new limited in my driveway and couldn't be happier! I'm sure Darcars doesn't want to sell too many 4Runners at this price but I was extremely happy with the way I was treated and would definitely recommend giving them a shot. Thanks to everyone for sharing your buying experiences... I probably wouldn't have purchased one without you.
  • thekurpthekurp Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2010
    I'm in Florida.

Purchased: 2010 4Runner Limited Blizzard Pearl - no added options

Paid: Trade-in - 2004 4Runner Sports Edition w/ 59,800 miles
    Cash: $24K

In other words, my old 4Runner + $24K = Out The Door (including tax, tag, title, and everything else).

I'll leave it up to you to decide how good a deal that was.
  • agnostoagnosto Member Posts: 207
    My deal was similar with different trade in vehicle:

Trade In: 2007 TCH (Toyota Camry Hybrid) around 50,900 miles
    Cash: $23,995
    Vehicle Purchased: 2010 4Runner Limited 4WD with NAV and Carpet Mats (MSRP: $42,314)

Notice about my trade in:
    Toyota dealer tried to sell my ex 2007 TCH almost 3 months ago at $23,000 and finally was sold a couple of days ago at $17,988 since its value was affected by the recall... so, I did excellent with the purchase of my 2010 4Runner at invoice considering I got it at the end of Dec. 2009 and my trade in valued at $16,560 ...
  • mobjackmobjack Member Posts: 6
    edited March 2010
    I used USAA's car buying service and by the next day received an offer for a Trail Edition at $600 over invoice. At this point I contacted ten other dealerships within MD, northern and central Virginia in an effort to get someone to beat that. After a week of bartering, no one's budging beyond $600 over invoice. The explanation I've been given a few times is that TE's are very hard to come by and that they move quickly when they're available. I'm also reluctant to buy the most common model with the KDSS because I just don't need it.
    Today I got an offer to order a TE for $34,500 that does not have KDSS and its accompanying NAV system. It'll take three months to arrive from Japan, but it should have close to zero mileage and if no other offers come in by tomorrow, I'm taking the deal.
    Truecar.com puts $34,500 at $488 over invoice and after about ten hours free time spent visiting dealerships and talking on the phone and emailing, I'm thinking it's worth it.
  • illinoiscentraillinoiscentra Member Posts: 67
    "You may include the dealership name, city and state in your post. Please do not post names of salespeople, telephone numbers, email addresses, or other contact information."

I received an offer for a TE on the lot for less than $34,000 from McGee Toyota in February. I think its in Maryland. Too far for me to fly and drive back. Appears to have been sold. The salesperson was kind to let me know what invoice really was (truecar.com had it wrong at the time), perhaps I could return the favor.
  • jgg7jgg7 Member Posts: 2
    picking up my TE with KDSS, floor mats, remote start, and paint protection film for 33,400 from Stevinsons East in the Denver Area.
    I noticed on the Toyota website (when using my zip code), that you can now pick a TE with KDSS and no NAV. And I can see them on cars.com too, including a red TE from the same dealership (sweet, but I'm not in for fly and drive). But for $33400? I'm having a hard time believing that, or maybe Colorado does not have that 'advertisement fee' thing going on. Trade in?
  • jgg7jgg7 Member Posts: 2
    Yeah, I was messing around on buyatoyota.com for quite some time and noticed the Denver region was the only one that split the nav and KDSS - part of the reason why I'm taking the 8 hr drive. But no, that is no lie - it took some negotiation, but I got them to remove ALL dealer fees (including those wrapped up in the invoice price) and add in the remote start for invoice. The paint film was added because of some delays in the arrival of the truck. No trade in. Picking it up next weekend...
  • mobjackmobjack Member Posts: 6
    Wow, $33,400 would be a sweet deal to get the KDSS. They must not be selling many TE's out there.
    I wound up with $34,300 from Mechanicsville Toyota in Virginia. I got an offer of $34,375 from Casey in Williamsburg, VA but chose the other on price and it was closer to home.
    Impressed with your negotiation skills.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    If you bought a new Toyota since Feb or are thinking about it, a reporter wants to hear from you. Email pr@edmunds.com by Wednesday, April 7, 2010.
  • mrd5mrd5 Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2010
    Here's the deal:
    2010 4x2 Limited 37,765
    Mats 299
    leather 3rd row 1,015
    Running Boards 499
    Color (Blizzard) 220
    Nav 1,420
    Delivery 795

Total MSRP $42,013.00
    Discounted Price $38,859.00
    TTL 1,887.68

Out the Door $40,746.68

What do you think?
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    edited April 2010
    If you must really have a 4Runner, then go for it. For that kind of money, I'd be looking at an Acura MDX w/tech (the best NAV in any vehicle) lease unless you plan on keeping the vehicle for many years. Running boards and 3rd row are useless IMO, especially the 3rd row in a 4Runner. Toyota's bluetooth and NAV draw many complaints.

Hate to say it, but with all the 'improvements' Toyota made with the 2010 model, I'd be looking at another brand. Even a 2010 JGC with a Hemi, NAV, and 4wd can be had for less. A 2010 JGC V6 4x4 can be had for $11,000 less without the leather and NAV, but with full-time 4wd and 0% apr. Sure, you'd get Jeep's so-so reliability, but its worth a look.

Good luck on whatever you choose. Fwiw, I have a 2003 4Runner, but I wouldn't purchase the 2010 4Runner. I would consider a 2010 Sequoia otoh.
  • qs933qs933 Member Posts: 302
    A 2010 JGC V6 4x4 can be had for $11,000 less without the leather and NAV, but with full-time 4wd and 0% apr.

True, but a 2010 4runner SR5 V6 4WD would also be less expensive (and minus the leather and NAV) than that Limited and would be a better comparison for that 2010 JGC.

The 2011 Jeep GC looks interesting (and very competitive, at least on paper), but there's no way I'd consider the outgoing 2010 model. There is a good reason why Chrysler has layered on the discounts on the 2010 model -- it needs to clean 'em out before the significantly improved 2011 model arrives and makes the 2010 even more difficult to sell.

Agree on the 3rd row seating, though. IMHO, anyone who needs to use the 3rd row for anything more than the occasional emergency should be looking at a minivan (that 2011 Sienna looks really nice).
  • mrd5mrd5 Member Posts: 2
    I don't need the 3rd row just nice to have, just in case. Also the kids like to use the running boards to get in. We had a Sequoia in the past, we also already have a Honda Mini Van, and I do like the Honda NAV system. Thanks for the feedback.

Dealers still hasn't provided me a verified VIN # or a delivery date.
  • t4r4met4r4me Member Posts: 4
    Shopping for well over a month and found 3 white 4r's in the 2007 and 2008 range. One '07 SR5 with high miles, vinyl and then 2 Sports in another state. Had been lurking around here and read up big time.

Disappointed with the 2007 deal falling through (Wouldn't come close to TMV), made a 2 hour drive, test drove the loaded sport with Nav, noticed just the slightest ticking noise in the engine, hightailed it across town to the other dealer...2nd car just purred....and I just knew in my gut I had to have that 4Rnr. Purchased for a bit under Edmunds TMV for that SUV with options.

I'd been test driving everything, BMW's, VW's, Lexus, Tahoes (or ho ho's as my 6 yr old calls em.) This toyo fixation came to me in the 11th hour. So far I got a cherry. 2008 with 36K mi, dog pee on the mats which they ended up giving me new generic mats and a full tank of gas to hit the road home. Great experience all in all. Can barely sleep it is so awesome.

Sam Swope Cadillac in their Automall in Louisville absolutely bent over backwards for me and the buying experience was painless and smooth.
  • friedgreenfriedgreen Member Posts: 7
    I bought a new 2010 4Runner in January 2010, just as they first arrived on my dealer's showroom floor. I had been shopping for 6 months to replace my 2002 X-Terra, which was, by the way, an excellent car all-around, but it looked like an off-road vehicle with lots of scratches, dents, dings, stains on upholstery, etc. I used it as a car to haul things back and forth to the barn, for dog transport, etc. It had been really put to good use, and was a great utility vehicle, but was in scratch and dent condition. It was loved.

My dealership was Toyota of Hattiesburg (MS) and I had a very good experience buying the car. It only took about one hour to complete the deal, start to finish, and I was on my way. They've been very good about answering my questions following the sale, and also answering questions about the Toyota recall.

I subscribed to several services to help me arrive at the correct price for my 4Runner. What I learned was that, pre-recall, there were no discounts to be had on the 2010 4Runner. I looked around for a 2010 4Runner and eventually paid the full sticker price of $43,850, plus tax and title for a 2010 Limited with every possible feature, except no third row seats: mine has the pullout tailgate party package. I should note that the dealer gave me $5,000 for the X-Terra mentioned above, which was probably $2,000 more than it was worth. The new 4Runner has been a great car so far, and I have few complaints (the interior lighting is not very good, and the USB port is in an impossible spot to access). I love the full-time 4WD---it was great with the bad weather, snow and ice we had this winter.

However, all of that being said, I parked it last month and have not driven it again. Unlike die-hard former 4Runner owners I read on the blogs, I am afraid that Toyota is not fully disclosing everything, and that the 4Runner is the next shoe to drop. I've read several credible accounts of unintended acceleration in the 4Runner, and frankly I just don't want to wait to find out. I know I'll take a beating on the sale (it has 5,000 miles and 2 dealers have offered me $35,000 to buy it) and I would prefer to keep it if someone can tell me definitively that the system used in other Toyotas is not the same one used in the 4Runner.

I tried to swap it this weekend for a 2010 Ford F-150 King Ranch Demo with 5800 miles, but haven't yet been able to reconcile myself to the financial beating I'll take. I'd really prefer to keep the 4Runner.

Any comments, suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Your post doesn't hold water. Having just done a google search, I'm unable locate any documentation or articles that would suggest the 4Runner has issues with unintended acceleration.

Of course you had a good buying experience, you are a car dealership's dream - you paid full price for a vehicle that, had you dealt with dealers, could of been discounted to @ invoice or about 500 over invoice. There is no party mode/sliding tray "package" as you suggest - those are standard on the Limited. A Limited w/ Navigation (no third row seating) and a few other throw in options (floor mats, exhaust tip, cross bars) should cost under $43,000. Looks like you paid additional dollars for dealer stuff, undercoating, weather protection, etc.

You clearly state that you like your vehicle and it seems are basing your decision not to drive because of rumors that can not be substantiated. Should you trade, you indicate that you'll get $35,000 for your Toyota - a loss of about $8,500. Sounds like a fear based decision without much fact to support your assertion.

If you're willing to take a loss that great, based on fiction rather than fact - that's your decision, though fiscally seems rather ill-advised.

Sounds like there's some other underlying issue here that you haven't documented in your post.
  • friedgreenfriedgreen Member Posts: 7
    There are actually several reports of 4Runners and unintended acceleration, and here is a link to one of them:

URL to article: http://www.leftlanenews.com/report-toyota-4runner-exhibits-acceleration-brake-sy- mptoms.html

If you wish for me to, I will post links to additional articles on acceleration, as well as linkage, transmission, rust and related problems with the 4Runner which Toyota has recently owned up to, but of which 4Runner owners have long complained.

No, I am not a car-bargain shopper, and there were a ton of dealer-installed goodies...it's a great vehicle. However, there is nothing I'm failing to disclose in the post. I am concerned about Toyota's failure to own up to the other problems in their extensive line. I hoped by posting here, someone who had similar concerns might help point me in the direction of information showing that the 4Runner should not be expected to experience problems.
    You asked for feedback, and I gave you some. Being defensive really doesn't drive your point home. You found one, just one article on the net about a 2004 - and that article isn't even "proven to be an issue".

Sounds like you just want to stir the pot. Or you purchased a vehicle and didn't think it through - which is evident by the price you paid for the vehicle.

Why don't you take your vehicle back to the dealer and make them buy it back.
    :P
  • boats3boats3 Member Posts: 42
    edited April 2010
    Just bought another 4Runner, my second in about 20 months. Unfortunately my FIL totaled the first one, a 2006 :cry: Anyway, I finally found another V8, need it for towing, which you can only get a used one. This one was in good condition overall, needed a little owners TLC with the cleaning, dealer did not do a good job with prep. Paid just over 20K out the door. It is a Limited with the air ride, Navi, Back up Camera, leather, moonroof, etc...the only thing I can see missing compared to my 2006 was the seat memory. Although the 06 did not have the air ride, Navi and Back up Camera. TMV came in around 20k for the car and I got it for it with all the fees, taxes, etc.
  • tangmantangman Member Posts: 127
    How many miles were on it and what year. I have been looking for a V8 as well.
  • boats3boats3 Member Posts: 42
    2005, and 53,000. I bought it in North Jersey.
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    Drive and enjoy your 4Runner. All vehicles have issues, but I haven't heard of UA on any 4Runner.
  • chuck1919chuck1919 Member Posts: 176
    The previous 4th generation having SUA (sudden unintended acceleration) is completely nonsense. There are other "4Runner Forums" on the net and now many 4th generation 4Runner owners have well over 100K on them with little or no issues.

I have not read ONE REPORT of SUA on ANY 4Runner forum involving the 4th generation.

I have 75,000 miles on mine with just a sunroof that got off-track and one shock that leaked. I tow a 5,000 pound 21 foot travel trailer on a regular basis.

You basing your decision not to drive yours based on ONE REPORT on the net? After all, everything you read on the net is TRUE, isn't it? :)
  • coleonyxcoleonyx Member Posts: 3
    Hi all,

I am interested in a 2010 4Runner trail, and am interested in knowing what the going price is in Southern California. I'm looking for one with the KDSS. I have a quote for 36,600, is this a good deal for SoCal?

Thanks.
    The only way to compare is through the MSRP price. What is the MSRP price on the vehicle that you were quoted? Did it have NAV? Then other may be able to provide you with an opinion.
    MSRP is 38400. This is with the kdss option only; no navigation option. Thanks.
    In our area in the Northwest, the dealer is taking approximately $2700 off MSRP on trails with no haggling. I have seen quite a few on the lots. Also, interest in this forum seems to be going down. Don't see many posts raving over the new 4-Runner. Good luck in your purchase.
    Cool...thanks, sounds like a good time to wait and see.
  • t4r2010t4r2010 Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2010
    2010 T4R RWD V6 SR5

1. Base Price: Inovice $25,674 (MSR $29,175)
    2. 2% Hoold Back: Invoice $583 (MSR 0)
    3. 1% Finance Reserve: Invoice $291 (MSR 0)
    4. Total Options: Invoice $3,351 (MSR $4,259)
    5. T.M.F: Invoice $ 870 (MSR 0)
    6. Delivery: Invoice 850 (MSR 0)

Total: Invoice $31,619 (MSR: $34,289)

Final:
    Selling price: $31, 700
    Tax: $1980
    Title: $110
    State Inspection: $24
    Doc: $190
    Deputy Service Fee: $5
    Inventory Tax: $74

OTD = $34,083
  • jameswennjameswenn Member Posts: 5
    2010 SR5 2WD
    Convenience package, 3rd row seating, power seats, running boards

MSRP 34,074
    Paid 32250 + TTL in SoCal

Finance guy was a jerk. Tried to pull a fast once with interest rates by getting you to focus on the payment and extending the term.
  • ichor0416ichor0416 Member Posts: 10
    t4r2010, thank you for your intelligent rendering of prices. I wish all posters were as intelligent and thoughtful. People who just state or ask for "otd" prices... shockingly stupid.
  • agnostoagnosto Member Posts: 207
    edited May 2010
    and got an awesome deal purchasing a 2010 Prius from FitzMall in MD. My only regret so far is, I did not purchase the Prius in place of the 4Runner 5 months ago... so far and after around 300 miles I have a computer average 53.0 MPG in my Prius IV with NAV... the new Prius is an amazing vehicle...
  • piernsurfpiernsurf Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,

I am looking to get a 2010 4runner and wanted to see what everyone was seeing in terms of APR. Thx in advance for sharing.

- FYI I'm planning to put 30% down and my credit is excellent; I am looking for 0.0 or 0.9 or something similar
  • alexoralexor Member Posts: 1
    Unbelievable transaction. It seems like you really don't care about money, your money. Safety first is absolutely right.
    I ended up with 3.75 from Toyota Credit Corp.

They started at 5.9, got them down to 3.9 and 3.75 sealed the deal.
  • helmut122helmut122 Member Posts: 6
    What was the length of the loan? I'm trying to find out what the best rate that Toyota is offering for a 72 month loan on a new 4runner.
    3.75 for 60 months.
  • careykcareyk Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a new 2010 4Runner SR5 4WD (4.0L 6cyl). Options included Premium Package w/leather (PT), Convenience Package (CP), AM/FM/MP3 CD w/ 8 speakers (DJ), Sliding Deck Rear Cargo Board (CD), Mud Guards, Cargo Cover. Paid $36,109 OTD. Didn't haggle much....thought I could do better ($1000 less maybe).
  • rlingerrlinger Member Posts: 5
    I am hoping to purchase a SR5 4WD Silver, Pwr Cloth, Pwr Outlets, Paint Protection in the next few weeks. I plan to put down 18K and have Toyota Finance the rest at 36 or 48 months. Also, dealer states that finding it in non-leather may delay deal. How much should I negotiate to? Other comments?
    Thank You
  • boomerrang16boomerrang16 Member Posts: 3
    Black, convenience package (moonroof), upgraded stereo, backup camera, power seats, floor mats and muffler tip - $30,800 + $100 processing fee + tax/tag/registration.
    SR5 w/4wd (4x4), Silver Ext, Graphite Int. $31,970.

Details:

Sport Fabric-Trimmed 8-Way Power-Adjustable Driver's Seat With Power Lumbar Support And 4-Way Power-Adjustable Passenger Seat
    Remote Engine Start
    Window Tint
    Night Vision Auto-Dimming Mirror
    Xm Satellite Radio Includes:~6 Months Complimentary Xm Service
    Premium Carpet Mat Set Carpet Floor Mats~Rear Cargo Mat
    Ball Mount
    Cargo Cross Bars
    Vehicle Shield Package Lusterizing Sealant~Sealant Cleaner~Fabric Guard~Rental Car Assistance
    Color-Key Rr Splr W/ Intergated Rr Wiper
    Front Fog Lamps / Rear Privacy Glass
    Color-Key Bumpers
    Rocker
    Overfenders

Heated Mirrors W/ Turn Signal Indicator
    Chrome Roof Rails
    Accented Fr Grille

Door Handles And Rear License Garnish
    Integrated Tow Hitch Receiver-Max 5000lb
    Homelink Universal Transceiver
    Remote Keyless Entry System
    Cfc-Free Climate Cntrl W/Rr Vent And Filter
    Am/Fm/Mp3 Cd W/8 Spkrs
    Aux Audio Jack
    40/20/40 Split Reclining And Fold-Flat
    2nd Row Seats W /Armrest W/ Cup Holders
    Rear Clearance Sonar / Tilt/Telescopic
    Steering Wheel With Cruise Control
    Pwr Auto Up/Down Windows/Pwr Door Locks
    2 Fr And 1 Rr 12v Auxiliary Power Outlets
    Orange Illuminated Instrument Gauges
    Multi-Info Display W/Time
    Cruise Range

Fuel Consumption
    Temperature And Compass
    10 Cup And Bottle Holders(12 On 3-Row Mdls)
    Variable Flow Control Power Steering
    Fr And Rr Vented Disc Brakes
    Fr And Rr Stabilizer Bars And Skid Plates
    17" Alloy Wheels
    P265/70r17 Tires
    4.0l V6 Dohc 24v W/ Dual Vvt-I Engine
    5-Speed Auto Transmission W/ Ect-I
    270hp / 278-Lb-Ft Torque
    Active Trac
    Part-Time 4wd System W/ Transfer Lever
    Hill-Start And Downhill Assist Control
    Dr And Fr Pass Advanced Airbag System
    Anti-Lock Brakes W/ Ebd And Brake Assist
    Star Safety System - Includes Vehicle
    Stability Control + Traction Control

Dr And Fr Pass Knee And Tap Side Airbags
    Fr And 2nd Row Roll-Sensing Side Curtain
    Airbags
    Dr And Fr Pass Active Headrests
    Tire Pressure Monitor System / 2nd Row
    Latch(Lwr Anchors And Tethers For Children)

Options:
    Sport Fabric-Trimmed 8-Way: $530
    Power-Adjustable Driver's Seat With Power Lumbar Support And 4-Way Power-Adjustable Passenger Seat
    Remote Engine Start: $529
    Window Tint: $199
    Night Vision Auto-Dimming Mirror: $165
    Xm Satellite Radio: $449
    Includes:
    6 Months Complimentary Xm Service
    Premium Carpet Mat Set: $209
    Carpet Floor Mats
    Rear Cargo Mat
    Ball Mount: $65
    Cargo Cross Bars: $185
    Vehicle Shield Package: $379
    Lusterizing Sealant
    Sealant Cleaner
    Fabric Guard
    Rental Car Assistance
  • g35halog35halo Member Posts: 9
    jameswenn, how did you manage to get the 3.75? I am close to purchasing the 4runner and will definitely like to know how to get Toyota to agree to 3.75. Spare no details. Thanks in advance.
    The 5.9 was given to me by the sales guy after he pulled my credit (740) to structure the deal to agree to a sale.

I went to the finance guy and he started at 3.9. Then we started talking about an extended warranty. He originally quoted me a monthly payment, but it seemed to low. I told him i wanted everything broken down. It turned out that he tried to extend the loan to 66 months and the extended warranty was 2200. I told him that i've seen it on the internet for 1200. He said he could give me the costco price for the warranty and he'd bring down the APR to 3.75. Their costco price was 1600.
    At that point, I would walk away. Any modification to loan terms without disclosure is the tipping point to walk away. Go to Carsdirect.com or some other intermediary and restart the process with the internet sales folks. That kind of dishonesty is not acceptable.