Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota 4Runner Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• kennerdriverkennerdriver Member Posts: 12
    I am not from the Chicagoland area, and of course YMMV depending on the area. However, I think $1000 below the invoice should be a good price. Don't hesitate to expand your search area to find the best deal.

Good luck.
  • kennerdriverkennerdriver Member Posts: 12
    Great price. Maybe you can post the name of the dealer and the salesperson you dealt with for others in your area.

Enjoy!
  • akhtar1akhtar1 Member Posts: 22
    Jim Brotherton at Alexandria Toyota.
    I first received quotes through truecar.com first.
    There were a couple of dealerships matching truecar.com price.
    Alexandria Toyota beat truecar by $500.
    By the way I went for the price but the service was exceptional as well.
    Was not rushed into anything and was not offered to buy anything extra.

Below is the e-mail from him. Make sure you get everything in writing before proceeding to the dealership

Please allow me to make this easy for you.

Your 2011 4Runner SR5:

MSRP:$36,779.00

Your Special Internet Price:$32,904.00

* Your price includes all rebates except military or college grad rebates (If you qualify, these may further reduce your price.)
    * Your Special Internet Price cannot be combined with any other dealership promotions or web site coupons.
    * Additional options the vehicle comes equipped with that are included in the price are listed below.
    * This price quote is valid for 72 hours.

FACTORY INSTALLED OPTIONS:
    Vehicle Base Model
    50 State Emissions
    Auto-Dimming Rearview Mirror
    with Integrated Backup Camera Monitor
    Premium Package:
    Leather-Trimmed and Heated 8-Way Power
    Adjustable Driver''s Seat with Power Lumbar
    Support; Heated 4-Way Power Adjustable
    Front Passenger Seat; Leather-Trimmed
    Second Row Seating, Leather-Trimmed
    Steering Wheel; Courtesy Lights; AM/FM CD
    Player with MP3/WMA Playback Capability, 8
    Speakers, XM Radio (Includes 90-Day Trial
    Subscription), USB Port with iPod
    Connectivity, Hands-Free Phone Capability
    and Music Streaming via Bluetooth
    Wireless Technology
    Power Tilt/Slide Moonroof
    with Sunshade
    Cargo Cross Bars
    Carpet Floor Mat & Cargo Mat

* Your price does not include taxes, tags or processing fee.

Provided that the vehicle is titled in Virginia your total cost is: $34,410.05.

sale price: $32,904.00, taxes: $1,064.30, tags: $62.75, processing fee: $379.00

Thank you for choosing Alexandria Toyota. I look forward to meeting with you this evening or tomorrow.
  • sks1214sks1214 Member Posts: 1
    I barely see any new 2011 models on the road. Why is that?
  • jtinerjtiner Member Posts: 4
    I'm seriously considering the 2011 SR5 and have been researching pricing, etc., but I've been unable to locate any 4Runners with the third row seat.
    There's plenty of inventory (25 vehicles or so) around the area (central Maine) but not a single one with third row seats. I haven't heard back from Toyota regarding this...
    Anyone have any idea why that particular option seems to be unavailable?
  • jfs_vajfs_va Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2011
    I paid $33,984.55 for the truck, then went in for the Toyota 7 year 75K extended warranty for $1,000 after having my arm twisted enough by the step-into-my-office for the hard-sell finance guy (Good guy with whom I actually had a good conversation. And I'm pretty happy with that warranty deal and had researched on this forum and other places prior).

I used AAA buying service, which is the same as TrueCar and Zag. Dealt with a seasoned truck salesman--straight shooter--at Koons Tysons Toyota in outside DC. Good experience. Quote below:

$34,084.55 OUT THE DOOR

Model Description: SR5 4X4 V6
    Year ............: 2011
    Interior Color ..: FK13 BLACK/GRAPHITE
    Exterior Color ..: 01G3 MAGNETIC GRAY
    Body ............: SR5 4X4 V6
    Number of Cyl ...: 6

VIN .............:

MECHANICAL & PERFORMANCE
    4.0L DOHC 24-Valve V6 w/Dual Independent
    VVT-i; 270HP / 278 Lb.-Ft. Torque
    Part-Time 4WD System with Active TRAC
    5-Speed Auto Transmission w/ ECT-i
    Engine Speed-Sensing Power Steering
    Hill-Start and Downhill Assist Control
    Front and Rear Vented Disc Brakes
    Front and Rr Stabilizer Bars;Skid Plates
    17" Alloy Wheels; P265/70R17 Tires
    SAFETY
    Star Safety System: Vehicle Stability
    Control, Traction Control, Anti-Lock
    Brake System with EBD, Brake Assist
    and Smart Stop Technology
    Driver and Front Passenger: Advanced
    Airbag System, TAP (Thorax, Abdomen,
    Pelvis) Seat-Mounted Side Airbags, Knee
    Airbags and Active Headrests
    All Row Roll-Sensing Side Curtain Airbgs
    LATCH-Lower Anchor & Tether for CHildren
    EXTERIOR
    Color-Key Bumpers, Rocker, Overfenders,
    Heated Mirrors w/ Turn Signal Indicator
    Chrome Accents, Handles and Roof Rails
    Tow Hitch Receiver w/ 7-&4-Pin Connector
    Front Fog Lamps; Rear Privacy Glass
    Color-Key Rr Splr w/ Intergated Rr Wiper
    COMFORT & CONVENIENCE
    Air Conditioning w/Filter & 2nd-Row Vent
    AM/FM CD Player, 8 Speakers, Aux Jack
    40/20/40 Split Reclining and Fold-Flat
    2nd Row Seat with Armrest w/ Cup Holders
    HomeLink Universal Transceiver
    Tilt/Telescopic Steering Wheel w/ Cruise
    Control; Rear Parking Assist Sonar
    Keyless Entry; Power Sliding Rear Window
    Power Door Locks&Windows w/Auto Up/Down
    10 Cup&Bottle Holders(12 on 3-row mdls)
    2 Fr & 1 Rr 12V Auxiliary Power Outlets
    Instrumentation with Orange Illumination
    Multi-Info Display w/Time, Cruise Range,
    Fuel Consumption, Temperature & Compass

50 State Emissions .........................
    Auto-Dimming Rearview Mirror ...............
    with Integrated Backup Camera Monitor ......
    AM/FM CD Player ............................
    with MP3/WMA Playback Capability, 8 ........
    Speakers, XM Radio (Includes 90-Day Trial ..
    Subscription), USB Port with iPod ..........
    Connectivity, Hands-Free Phone Capability ..
    and Music Streaming via Bluetooth Wireless .
    Technology, and Steering Wheel Audio .......
    Controls ...................................
    Sport Fabric-Trimmed 8-Way Power ...........
    Adjustable Driver''s Seat with Power Lumbar .
    Support and 4-way Power Adjustable Front ...
    Passenger Seat .............................
    Power Tilt/Slide Moonroof ..................
    with Sunshade ..............................
    Fabric-Trimmed 50/50 Split Fold-Flat .......
    Third-Row Seating and Sliding Second-Row ...
    with Passenger-Side One-Touch Walk-In ......
    Function and 3rd Row Curtain Shield ........
    Airbags ....................................
    Cargo Cross Bars ...........................
    Carpet Floor Mat & Cargo Mat ...............
    Exhaust Tip ...............................
  • seai123seai123 Member Posts: 7
    edited April 2011
    I'm interested in getting a SR5 with Convenience Package & Premium Package (sunroof & leather seats).

Can anyone recommend a good dealership/dealer contact near NY Metro Area? And how much should I be expected to pay for it? I've got a quote from one dealer and it seem very high. :confuse:

Thanks for helping me :)
  • x98petersonx98peterson Member Posts: 1
    This was our 5th Toyota purchase but at a new lot.

MSRP was $44,600 (New 2011 Limited, Blizzard Pearl, Black Int., Nav, Running Boards, and 3rd row). We bought at what they said was invoice,

So, after taxes, $399 doc fee, and our trade it came out to be $42,000. We were happy b/c finding a Pearl w/ Black Int. is impossible w/ a 3rd row.
  • toyboy66toyboy66 Member Posts: 1
    sorry, can you tell me what is an OTD, that a lot of people are talking about. forgive my ignorance, is that I just start the process of looking for a new car. txs so much.
  • rlingerrlinger Member Posts: 5
    OTD = Out the Door Pricing
    Was out at a dealership the price for the car for the Limited with sunroof, 3rd row and nav was about 44k, talked them down to 40k, seem like a done deal when we spoke to the sales guy and his manager, but when the manager came back after talking to the higher ups.. they said they couldn't do it. So we walked and parted ways. But im wondering if the sales people was ready to sign but the higher ups said no... that tells me they are still making a good profit margin.. and after reading a couple posters here.. some of you are paying 44k even before taxes.. prices are so different.. sigh.. so confused.. :confuse:
  • ljt22480ljt22480 Member Posts: 1
    Purchased a 2011 4runner Trail with running boards. It did not include kdds or nav. The msrp was 37,300, got it down to 34, 800 with a trade-in of 12,800 for a 2005 4runner sport(91k).
    Total cost was 22,000 plus 2,300 for ttl.
    edited May 2011
    I just purchased an SR5 w/3rd row in one of the standard option package configurations for the NE region (FE, EC, DJ, PE, SR, TH, 3T, 5A, E5, MF).
    MSRP was $36,083 and the selling price was $33,000 (invoice) with $349 for documentation/fees.
    And in all honesty the buying experience was actually a pleasure (Toyota of Nashua NH). There were several other dealerships I worked with initially that were really less than straightforward (to be polite).
  • 4runnerstar4runnerstar Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased a Gray 2011 SR5 4x4 MSRP $34,565, for $30,877 +TTL and $120 doc fee in Texas. Accessories were:

-50 state emissions
    -Sport Fabric-Trimmed 8-Way Power
    -Window Tint
    -XM Satellite Radio
    -Carpet Mat Set
    -3m Paint Protection Film
    -Vehicle Shield Pacage
    -Cargo Cross Bars
  • adamj2281adamj2281 Member Posts: 1
    Ok, so we are looking at base SR5, 4x2 (it's for my wife, I have a Wrangler for 4x4ing) with Katzkin added Leather.

Price out the door is $29,963 (that's $300 for state tax, and I think another $500 for admin fee, etc)

They are willing to give us $3500 for a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport with 120k miles, which is over kbb.

Any thoughts? It seems like a pretty good deal, I have a comparable deal on a Grand Cherokee as well, so we are trying to decide between the two.
    Hi. Did you find a 3rd row sr5? I've also been having trouble.
    edited June 2011
    Yes, I found a 3rd row SR5 in magnetic gray metallic at Toyota of Nashua (NH). I don't know if you're located in New England, but there are one or two in N.H., none at all in Maine, eight or ten in MA, and a couple in RI.
    The local dealers' "locate" prices were $2200 and $1200 more than what I was quoted at the originating dealerships.
    I was fortunate to find one in NH, since sales tax and temp. plates can be problematic. There's no NH sales tax, so it was simple to purchase, drive home with the manufacturer's certificate of origin, and then pay taxes/title here in Maine.
    Finally purchased a 2011 SR5 4x4 in Black for $35,200 (IncludedTax, Doc fee, DMV).

Car specs:
    Convenience Package Exhaust Tip, Cargo Cross Bars, Wheel Locks
    50 State Emissions
    Anti-Theft Alarm System with Engine Immobilizer
    Power Tilt/Slide Moonroof with Sunshade
    Fabric-Trimmed 50/50 Split Fold-Flat Third-Row Seating and Sliding Second-Row with Passenger-Side One-Touch Walk-In Function and 3rd Row Curtain Shield Airbags
    Running Boards

So what do you guys think? :confuse:
    After reading what you paided for ur car i'm extreamly jealous. the sales tax alone for me was about $2,800 and nys tags is triple what you paided. :cry: You've got the car I wanted didn't find.
  • dieselpleasedieselplease Member Posts: 3
    Still shopping here for a New 2011 SR5 4X4 in SOCAL.
    I got other options to consider:
    Nissan Xterra : More torque than 4Runner + $10,000 Less + 0.0% from Nissan.
    Honda Pilot :$3,000 less + 0.0% for 60 months.

what do you think guys.
    any good deal for this coming 4ht of July from Socal toyota dealers.
    did get good financing through toyota ????
  • ramzey28ramzey28 Member Posts: 130
    edited July 2011
    I bought mine end of march for 31800 otd, msrp 37100. 2011 TE with exhaust tip, cargo cover, locking lugs. No trade. Bought in mass. 11 miles on it. Built in Jan.
  • rico123rico123 Member Posts: 1
    Wow, that sounds like a good price. That's almost $10k less than the quotes I got. Could you tell me the dealer's name and location?
  • kali2024kali2024 Member Posts: 3
    That is exactly what I want. Can you tell me what dealership you went to? Also what was the "invoice" price that they offered (prior to taxes, and other fees). Thanks in advance.
  • russianstylerussianstyle Member Posts: 2
    thats still too high for New Endgland anyway.
    I purchased same car as you EXACTLY except its pearl white and i bought it last october, a year ago, when they just started to get them from japan. I waited 3 weeks for it to arrive. i also had to special order it because no one had the pearl white color. they found one for me in CT and brought it to MA.
    I paid exactly $33775 out the door! :)

Heres a few hints to everyone when negotiating:

1. see what the TMV pricing is at edmunds... (DEMAND THAT PRICE OUT THE DOOR!!!)
    2. Never negotiate with salesmen, youll never win. (No such thing as a good deal)
    3. call ahead and talk to fleet manager ONLY
    4. tell him you will pay (THE TMV PRICE) out the door.....

when i was buying this car the sticker for it was 35k plus, probably close to 35500, the sticker price MEANS NOTHING GUYS! its only their wishful thinking!
    I knew what i was gunnna pay for this car before I even called the toyota dealer. I admit the first dealer i called said no, but i got the 3rd dealer to say yes, and we agreed on the price right on the phone
    i walked in the dealer, the fleet manager greeted me, introduced me to a salesmen that only did my paperwork bcuz we already settled on a price...

Thats how its done folks...

P.S.
    never buy extended warrantees on new cars, expecially toyotas. those are 100% profits for the dealer. waste of money. the chance of a new toyota breaking are slim to none before 100k miles...
  • russianstylerussianstyle Member Posts: 2
    Now thats a great deal!
  • haydellameliahaydellamelia Member Posts: 23
    Went into dealer tonight..was attempting to compare a 2012 Limited with Nav and DVD to the 2012 Honda Pilot Touring. Sales manager told me that you can't get both on a 4Runner, and the only thing they could do was add an after market DVD player for $1600. He also told me that the best he could do would be $38,500-$38,800. Said the only reason he could do that is because his dealership is "paid for"..I think this price and him are a load of BS. I am trying to compare apples to apples, not apples to oranges. Thoughts?
  • jja2005jja2005 Member Posts: 1
    Looking to buy a 2011 this month can you tell me what state youre from and what dealer you bought it from
  • haydellameliahaydellamelia Member Posts: 23
    I didn't buy it. But, I am in Louisiana, and the dealer is Hampton Toyota.
  • chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    These two vehicles are totally different in nature. The Honda is on a revised mini van platform, the 4Runner is a ladder-frame and very tough.

What are you going to be using this for?

Grocery getter - Honda
    Off Road and Rugged - 4Runner

Not to bash the Honda, it depends on WHAT YOU WANT.
  • rudinskyrudinsky Member Posts: 12
    Here is what im being offered - a 2012 Limited, Nav, Tint, Running Boards, Sliding back deck -

$38,500 - Yes this is a 2012 - they want to move it before month end... I think this is awesome - but let me know what others think
  • kutty05kutty05 Member Posts: 1
    I am shopping around for 2012 4runner, May i know the dealer and location please where you got the quote please
  • rsmith8rsmith8 Member Posts: 47
    Negotiated deal on new 4Runner: 2012 Model 8642 S/R5 4X2. Options: FE 50 State Emissions, SC Special Color (Blizzard Pearl), PE Sport Fabric-Trimmed Front Sweats; 8-way Pwr-Adjustable Driver's Seat w/Pwr Lumbar Support; 4-Way Pwr-Adjust able Front Passenger Seat; CF Premium Carpet Set - Carpet Floor Mats, Rear Cargo Mat;. MSRP $32960. Selling price $30,469 plus $1086 to add dealer installed leather (2 rows) and $150 doc fee.
  • toyota_4runnertoyota_4runner Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2011
    MSRP $37,076

New 2012 Toyota 4Runner SR5

Options

120V/400W AC Power Outlets
    50 State Emissions
    Alloy Wheel Locks
    Anti-Theft Alarm System w/Engine Immobilizer
    Auto-Dimming Rearview Mirror
    Carpet Floor Mats & Cargo Mat
    Convenience Package
    Fabric-Trimmed 50/50 Split Fold-Flat 3rd Row
    Power Tilt & Slide Moonroof w/Sunshade
    Sport Fabric-Trimmed Power Front Seats
    Trunk Carpet
  • toyota_4runnertoyota_4runner Member Posts: 2
    And also what is reasonable fee for the dealer to deliver from PA to AL?

Is the deliver fee included in the "Manuf, Delv, Proc & Hndlg fee---$855"

Thanks
  • rudinskyrudinsky Member Posts: 12
    Why would you want to have a 2012 shipped from PA to AL?
  • diesel_powerdiesel_power Member Posts: 16
    I am shopping, to buy 4Runner 2011/2012 4x4 SR5
    what its the pricing now ????
    SOCAL market 92814
  • 4runshoper4runshoper Member Posts: 13
    Anyone 6' 4" good with the fit in '12 4Runner....do we need to go without the sunroof?

Most all builds include sunroof, any dealers with non-sunroof models out there?
  • atata1atata1 Member Posts: 1
    i am looking to buy a SR5. is it possible get it at around invoice price ?
    thanks
  • 4runner724runner72 Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a 2012 4runner SR5 4x2 a few days ago. It has the convenience pkg (CP), display audio with nav (EE) third row seat (TH), 3M window tint, nitrogen filled tires-(worthless). unfortunately it has the toyoguard elite on it ($699 msrp alone!)

I'm in Florida, so the southeastern BS is something you have to work around.

I paid $33685 total (including all southeastern fees, dealer fees, toyoguard elite) ---not including taxes. Heck, most of the 4 runners come with Toyoguard elite!

When I negotiated online with multiple dealers, I pointed out the unwanted toyoguard, etc. and sat back and got some quotes. I got the top 4 quotes and let them battle it out. Then when I thought they were still a little high-- I put out a magic number, --that i knew was a little low. Taking into consideration the holdback and unwanted southeastern addon.

I got one quote that was a little lower than my price, but by the time I spent going to get it and the fuel in volved, I would have spent the money saved. the dealer I bought it from was only 15 min from me. (they were actually pretty good to deal with)

So, I wonder--taking into consideration on where I live--in Florida--

Was $33685 (not incl taxes and tag) a good price for the options that I have? It seemed to be, so when they decided to cut most of what the Toyoguard costs off of the price, I jumped on it.
  • 4runner724runner72 Member Posts: 2
    I forgot to add my sticker price was $36920 plus dealer fee of a whopping $700!!!! So--extra charges involved, some negotiable--- $700 dealer fee, $699 toyoguard elite, $880 processing and handling fee, and not listed on the sticker, but included--the southeastern dist charge of $900 (can't remember the exact amount, but it was close.)

Most dealers in my area were around $500-700 + more than what I got it for. One was a little cheaper, but was out of the area--gas money would have broke about even.
  • stcroixboystcroixboy Member Posts: 63
    Has anyone heard of any major changes and/or updates to the 4Runner for 2013?

I am considering buying a 2012 SR5 4WD this summer but I would hold off until later in the year if any major redesign or engine update was coming.

Thanks in advance.
  • dieselpleasedieselplease Member Posts: 3
    Toyota 4Runner Sales Figures .

USA Market

January 2011 3829 car sold ( January 2012 2919 car sold ) ( - 910 cars )
    February 2011 3760 car sold ( February 2012 3068 car sold ) ( - 692 cars )
    March 2011 4369 car sold ( March 2012 4065 car sold ) ( - 304 cars )

that's why GM takes back the lead .
  • jklossjkloss Member Posts: 39
    Just purchased a new 4 Runner MSRP $43,040 - Limited Nav (NV), Blizzard white (PC) special color, Carpet Floor mat and cargo mat (CF). Paid $39,300 without taxes and license. Traded in a 2010 Lexus RX 350 and they gave me $33,000 for a net trade of $6,300. Thought it was a good deal. This was in the Chicago area.
    Over 8.6% off MSRP sounds like a great deal to me. If I can find a similar deal on a SR5 I would probably pull the trigger.
    Would you please advise as to the Dealership as I am also in the Chicagoland area?
    Thanks in advance.
    Got the deal at Grossinger downtown Chicago. As for Tramain.
    It was a 4R limited with MSRP of $43,040 and they sold to me for $39,300 plus the gave me a trade in of $33,000 for my 2010 Lexus RC350 which was
    35 months old. This was a better % discount than from Carmax. Thought it was a good deal. Love the car - so much better than a RX350 - has a few less features and a few more. I can give up memory seats and wood trim for little more space, better sound system, AC out lets and of course heated windshield wipers. Had the first 4R 22 years ago. Basically I am not a soccer mom and that is the audience for the RX350 - which is a Highlander with a up charge of $7000.
    Thanks again for sharing...much appreciated!
  • cpc1cpc1 Member Posts: 6
    Trying to decide on the 4 runner sr5, or the Jeep Grand Cherokee, had a 04 4runner, traded it on a bmw 328xi, want back my suv, the 4 runners have climbed in price but also am not looking at the limited, or the overland Jeep just want the best value. Any ideas how the pricing or incentives are in the North East PA region. Or is it just better to wait on a nice low milage 2010 or 2011. Thanks
  • rsmith8rsmith8 Member Posts: 47
    I also had an '04 4Runner (SE) with V8 which I bought new in late 2003. I loved it. Unfortunately, I traded it in on a '10 GMC pickup (5.3 V8) and was very disappointed with that decision. 2 months later I traded the pickup on a Corvette (over compensating). I then sold the Corvette and bought a '12 4Runner SR5 with dealer added leather. While I like the 4Runner. the new ones are programmed more for economy. However, the V6 delivers very little more in fuel economy than what I got from the '04 with the V8. If, however, you use the SHIFT mode and change gears yourself, you can compensate somewhat for the difference "feel" of lack of power compared to the '04 4Runner with V8. I will probably keep the '12 4Runner.
  • toytruck1toytruck1 Member Posts: 5
    I notice that most manufacturers program transmissions for economy. Don't know if the 4Runner "learns" one's driving habits like my 2010 Ford F150 did, but it certainly upshifts quickly. I just step on it a bit more and then it hustles along. Hope it learns something! The power is there, you just have to "encourage it".

Dealer had a lot of "accessories" on the SR5 4WD, which I would have added. I negotiated eBay wholesale prices for factory running boards, wheel locks, flaps, tint and 3M clear bra. Paid 34K. Has Convenience package-moonroof and upgraded seats, rear cam, parking sensors. Bonus was getting High (Xlnt) KellyBB trade in on my 2010 F150 Super Crew XLT.