Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota 4Runner Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• bbatteybbattey Member Posts: 1
    I have been calling local fleet/internet managers in the Los Angles area for a 2004 4runner limited V6 4x2 and will probably get one tomorrow if their offers still stand.

8648 2004 Toyota 4Runner Limited V6 4x2
    GY Curtain Side Airbags
    RF Rear Spoiler Light
    SR Power Moonroof
    RL Daytime Running Lights
    EJ JBL audio 3n1 10 Speakers w/6 Disc
    CF Floor mats

Colors Galactic Grey or Titanium

Invoice = 319920
    MSRP = 36114
    * 750 cash back in Los Angles Area
    The 3 different down to earth dealers are offering OTD between 35000 to 35200. Some questions for anyone that cares to answer
    #Dealer 1 OTD $34849 plus 1 year free oil, .25% off my 4.29 Capital One rate

#Dealer 2 OTD $35200 plus lifetime oil changes and they are the #1 Toyota dealer in California. I may be able to get them to come down to 35000

#Dealer 3 OTD $35296 they would have to pull from their sister dealer and NO FREEBIES. However, they are 2 miles away from me.

I think the 3 dealers are going under invoice and pulling a rabbit hat trick due to end of Jan 04. Do these sound like good deals????
  • bmc5bmc5 Member Posts: 16
    I'm curious on the opinions and experiences "runner" owners have about their favorite tire. I currently have the michelin cross terrains and they seem to be ok. I do mostly on-road highway driving with little off roading. I looked at the ratings on the
    tirerack.com and they were not the highest rated tire. Thanks.
  • va4rnrva4rnr Member Posts: 5
    Just bought a V8 4X4 sports edition from Miller Toyota in Virginia. This is one if the dealers who responded to my price request on edmunds.com. All negotiations were done over the phone or email. The dealer was easy to work with. Totally I must have spent less than an hour negotiating on the price. I went to the dealer only after we agreed on a price. The dealer close to my house initally refused to match the price, but called me this morning to match the offer, but it was too late by then.

MSRP $34,568
    Invoice $31,179
    Paid $30,495 + tax,tags,ext. warranty.
    Drive out price $32,450
    It had the following options
    FE,DJ,CM,RF SR,CF,WL
  • ladyofluxuryladyofluxury Member Posts: 93
    Where exactly in Virginia is this dealership located?
  • va4rnrva4rnr Member Posts: 5
    This dealership is in Manassas, out side of DC.
  • cpm495cpm495 Member Posts: 2
    I had read a couple of your posts re: runnerbuying, as I, too, am looking to buy immediately, in Virginia. I am glad your new truck is in the garage - and your "dealing" is over. Thanks for the clarification on local - I suspected it mite be N Va., as I am in the Tidewater area. Maybe today my "Deal-Over" bell will ring.

Enjoy!
  • buckey1buckey1 Member Posts: 1
    Bought my 4Runner 4DR SR5 V6 auto 4wd from Spring field Toyota in Northern Virginia. MSRP was $31,648.00. Invoice price was $28,627.00. Options include PWRTilt/Slide Moonroof,17" Aluminum wheels,5-Peice Carpet Floor mat set, Rear Spoiler,Black Roof Rack ,Wheel locks, and 50-state emissions.We agreed on a price of $26,995.00. When I walk out of the door the final price that I paid was $28,848.16. This final price included all taxes and tags. My wife and I love our 4 Runner. No problems at this time
    I'm sorry hun but you must be mistaken, I have not yet purchased my 4Runner. However, I am in the tidewater area as well (Virginia Beach) maybe we can look out for each other on some good deals! Let me know how your experiences go!
  • cpm495cpm495 Member Posts: 2
    Yep, that's me! I confused Va4RNR's purchase with yours. Sorry - I'm completely new to this chat thing. I have come across several exceptional deals on [04] 4Rs, they just were not what I was looking for. You & I are likely not looking for the same thing, so maybe my legwork could help you. Now, you tell me how we do this w/o getting in dutch w/the Moderator.....
  • floeva09floeva09 Member Posts: 20
    Just thought I let you all know that at Stevensons Toyota East In Denver they just sent me a e-mail saying they have a 1.9% rate for 48-60 months if your credit qualifies. I am not ready to buy yet, however I am on there e-mail list for promotions, incentives etc.
  • jjenkensjjenkens Member Posts: 26
    They're offering 0.0% for 3yrs until 3/1 on all 2004 4Runners.
  • teridemnteridemn Member Posts: 15
    They're offering 0.0% for 3yrs until 3/1 on all 2004 4Runners.

Is this just in Dallas/Fort Worth?
    Including the surrounding areas I think. You can go to the Toyota site and enter in pretty much any dealership (search by state or something). Then go to their 'DEALER INCENTIVES' area and see what it shows. It'll list lots of vehicles. There's one for SR-5s, and one for all 2004 4Runners.
  • bankeizenbankeizen Member Posts: 46
    I went to the Toyota website but did not find any "Dealer Incentives" area. There was a promotions area which said to ask your local dealer. Am I missing something?
    Go to www.toyota.com and select DEALER LOCATOR. Go to the second area on the page and put in the city or state you are looking for and hit SUBMIT. When the dealer location page comes up, you can click MORE DEALERS on the left if it is more then just one page. Click on the dealer you want. Click CONTINUE through the 3rd party connection page. When the actual Toyota Dealer page comes up, go to SPECIALS and click the INCENTIVES link below it. Scroll down and you will see all of the incentives for that location. If you need help, just let me know which dealer and I'll help find the page for ya.
    Thanks. Directions were very clear and worked perfectly. I was trying another route which didn't work. The only thing they are offering nearby is a certificate for a $100 off. But I am in no rush.
  • lar7lar7 Member Posts: 2
    Hi all,

I live near Santa Rosa, CA and I have a loaded '96 4runner SR5 4x4, 5 speed, 139,000 hyw miles in immaculate condition and would like to know the best venue through which to sell it and what opinions there are as to it's value. I'm selling it because I recently bought a '96 limited edition 4runner for $10,800 at Putnam Buick in Burlingame that was in great shape. I keep seeing my '96 SR5's year and model with the same features for $9500 to $11,000 and I'm a bit confused regarding the Kelly Blue Book values vs. Edmunds. KBB has my value for private party at $8,999 and Edmunds has it at $10,400. Why the huge difference? I haven't seen any with my features as low as KBB. My 4runner was keyed a year ago so I paid above the insurance $ and had the entire truck repainted with the new clear coat paint that won't fade. It also has a rare wood dash, new tires, shocks and is practically in like new condition - no scratches or dings. So with all this, what price should I be asking and where is the best place to put an ad? Thanks for the advice.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Start here: How to sell your car.

tidester, host
  • coranchercorancher Member Posts: 232
    lar7, you should check out the "Real-World Trade-In Values" thread in the buying and selling section here at edmunds.com. Some helpful and very expert folks there gave me good advice last year. You can often get a specific opinion about your car and it's condition.

IMHO, a vehicle like yours is best sold as a private party sale, and not traded in. But that means you need to a good job of marketing the vehicle, and that takes thought and some effort. I used a combination of internet venues and local newspapers. In terms of "...seeing any with your features as low as..." a specific figure, remember that the asking prices you see in the newspapers are commonly inflated (in my experience) by about 10-20%. For a vehicle in very good condition like yours, but with 140k miles, you may have a challenge to convince prospective buyers (before they see it) that it is really in as good condition as it is. One benefit of the kind of internet advertising that I did is that you can describe in much more detail than a print ad just how good the vehicle is. Good luck.
  • lar7lar7 Member Posts: 2
    What kind of 4Runner are you looking for?
  • muddin69muddin69 Member Posts: 2
    Equipment:

Sunroof, Leather, Spolier, Wind Deflector, DRL, Roof Rack, Double Decker Cargo, Cargo Net, Mats.

Sticker: $31,150
    Paid: $26,500 ($27,250 minus $750 Rebate)
    TTL: $1,895
    OTD: $28,395 (6.25% sales tax and no trade in)
    Also financed at 3.65% for 60 months with ZERO down.
    Color: Galatic Grey with stone leather.

Bought from Toyota of Richardson, Texas on Valentine's day. About 5 inches of snow fell in Dallas Friday night and the dealership ws not that busy. I know I got a hell of a deal because of the weather.

My wife and I started at $26,000 for the car and final offer from us was $26,500. The sales manager declined and we left for Toyota of Plano. This second dealership had the same care but Silver exterior color. They were willing to go down to $26,250. After we arrived at Toyota of Plano, the Richardon dealer kept calling me on the phone and agreed to $26.5K. It was funny that Toyota of Plano just would not let us go away. Talk about price war w/ customer emerging as the winner!!
    I, too, did the final negotiations of my 4Runner on that snow day here in Dallas. Mine was a different situation though as I had this vehicle brought in from Covington, Louisiana because I found none that fit my requirements around here (I was extremely particular on what I wanted, nothing more, nothing less on my options). So I got my silver 2004 v8 Limited 4Runner with:
    6CD changer
    sunroof
    x-reas shocks
    drive/pass curtain/side airbags
    rear spoiler
    side signal mirrors
    extra mile package
    sound sealant package (or whatever its called)
    daytime running lights
    sunroof wind deflector
    and it does have the michelin cross-terrains

Price was $36,200 +TTL. And I financed it at 0.0% for 36 months, with no $ down (which saves about 3,500 right there..) Happy hunting!
    Congratulations on your new purchase. You got a great price.

I will be ordering shortly and was curious about the "side signal mirrors". I don't see them in the brochure and they sound interesting. What are they and how to order?

What is the "extra mile package"?
    The side signal mirrors are code: SU. They replace the current ones and have the red arrow that appears from about 7 "dots" in the mirror when you are signaling. I like them as it allows cars on your side to see what you're doing, not just cars behind you. It took my dealership about 3.5 hrs to install them. I'm sure you can order them because that is what I did.

The Extra Mile package includes things like tape stripe, wheel locks, mats, tint, etc. It should show up on the Toyota website when you 'build a 4runner'.
    Thanks for your helpful feedback. Mirrors sound like a great and safe idea.
  • jorgejorge Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a Add car for a SR5 4Runner 2WD the only options were the mats, and the roof rack.
    I purchased the car at Toyota of Orange located in Southern California.

Cash Price: 23745.00
    Doc Fee: 45.00
    Sales Tax: 1843.73
    License Fees: 201.00
    Registration/Transfer/Titling: 9.00
    California Tire Fees: 5.00
    Sub Total: 25,848.73
    Rebate: -750.00
    Total: 25,098.73
    (No trade in.)
    Monthly Payment: 265.38

The salesman gave me a very difficult time about financing. Would not give me any time to find financing on my own. (I wish I came in with this already completed.) The sales person initially came in with a 6.9% interest rate for 48 months! (We are financing 11,500) We got the interest rate down to 5% after a very contentious period.
    We could have gotten a 3.99% loan which would have reduced our payment to 260 dollars a month if I came in with my own financing.
  • netjumpernetjumper Member Posts: 3
    I live in Santa Clara, CA , in the market fo a 4Runner. My dealer told me Toyota does nto offer 0% APR for the 4Runners. Anyone know how to check if that is gone or toyota just does not offer 0%APR for 4Runners. Also anyone know if theres an option to get leather interior in the Sports Ed V6 4Runner? Dealer also told me its not an option for the SE.
  • aroutharouth Member Posts: 45
    Go to buyatoyota.com and type in your zip code. It has a list for the incentives in your area including 0.0% financing. They don't offer many incentives on 4Runners though so don't hold your breath.
  • bcmalibu99lsbcmalibu99ls Member Posts: 625
    If you plan on buying a 4Runner, wait for 3-4 months. Toyota would get scared that 4Runners aren't selling, and all the buyers would get handsome discounts!
  • reefratreefrat Member Posts: 2
    I orginally did a build order on Dec.31,2003 for a 2004 4Runner Limited V-8 without a sunroof.I was originally told by Bev Smith Toyota in Ft.Pierce, FL that the vehicle would be ready in mid/late March 2004. I have had a good experience at Bev Smith w/the internet salesman and the head of sales throughout this process.I understand these builds are a pain in the [non-permissible content removed] for everyone involved..Problem is now I have just found out that Toyota will not build the vehicle until mid-April and delivery will be mid/late May2004...grrrr

Should I suspend this 04 build and do a 2005 build for the same vehicle??When do the '05's appear on the lot and when is it possible to get a 2005 build order completed??Anyone know..If they are out in Fall it may be worth it for me to wait and order an 05..if I could get it done by December2004.If completed builds arent available until early 2005 no way I'm waiting.
     Tough choice...I've put down a $4K cash down payment ..priced the vehicle $300 above inventory.Thnx for any help!
  • reefratreefrat Member Posts: 2
    I already said I have a build order already placed at $300 over invoice.You'll definetly right that right before or when 2005 start showing up on lots 04's well be discounted but I already have got a great deal on this particular order and its a BUILD order if you didnt see...big discounts will be on inventory on site or easily obtained models.Getting a Limited without a moonroof plus a V-8 is a [non-permissible content removed].These setups are not easy to find ..at leat in SET Region...so discounts may not be a huge factor for me..The real factor is assuming I could price a 2005 at same great price($300 over invoice) is the resale value of an '05 vs. an '04..

sorry bcmailibu ..thought #503 looked as if it was in response to my initial inquiry

4Runners experts please help!!
  • micksdad1micksdad1 Member Posts: 32
    I ordered a SR5 V8 in Stratosphere Mica with taupe interior today from the Carmax Auto Mall in Kenosha, Wisconsin. The anticipated delivery date is July 12, 2004. The options include:

SR Power Sunroof
    EJ JBL Stereo w/6 CD changer
    DR Roof Rack and Cross Bar
    RF Rear Spoiler
    NE Leather Steering Wheel
    CF Carpet Floor/Cargo Mat
    EC Electrochromic Rearview Mirror
    NJ Homelink Garage Door Opener
    NA 115V AC Power Point
    AW 17" Aluminum Wheels
    RL Daytime Running Lights

Out the Door Price: $30,598.00 + $99 doc fee + tax + title
    Invoice per Edmunds: $30,368.00
    MSRP per Edmunds: $34,349.00

Vehicle is price protected meaning if Toyota raises their prices to the dealer prior to delivery, my price will not change.

I intend to have the aftermarket leather (Katzkin) and heated seats installed prior to delivery by Erickson Auto Trim in Racine, WI - cost will be about $1,600.00.

They were readily willing to order the vehicle for me. I have been very pleased with my car buying experience at Carmax thus far and would not hesitate recommending Carmax to anyone. It truly was a no hassle, stress free buying experience (the way it should be) and, at the same time, I was able to purchase a vehicle at or near invoice.
    I have a question for this message board. Will Toyota have any incentives on the 2004 4Runner at the end of the year? Meaning when the 2005 start arriving,how will the move the 2004? What time of the year can we expect it to happen? I have been told by a sale manager at a local dealership in Denver, when I am ready to purchase I can have a 4Runner 2% over invoice. However, I still need a some help from Toyota to get the vehicle I want. Thanks in advance for you information.
  • glenski01glenski01 Member Posts: 44
    I will soon (within 1 wk) purchase an 04 4Rnr Sport 4x4 V8, I have secured quotes from a number of dealer's via email, a couple prices straight up front and pretty competitive, any where from invoice cost all the way up to 1K over invoice. Problem I am having is invoice pricing I get from KBB or Edmunds is less than dealers say invoice is. I have included frt/destination, but still all dealer's claim of invoice is $600 to $700 higher than I come up with. I finally actually saw an invoice type copy and see a fiqure called TDA, I guess this is Toyota Dealer Assoc or something. The TDA amount was $687. I also see holdback, which I realize the dealer should keep as part of profit, but what about this TDA charge?? HELP! Trying to purchase soon!
    (example MSRP 35,754, dealer says inv.is 32275. I show inv of 31630, my lowest offered price is 32,275)

Also, anyone know if current incentive of 36mo 0% will extend past 3/1/04
  • linhsylinhsy Member Posts: 7
    I've just tested drive the SR5 V6 4wd with opts:

ROOF RACK
    17" ALUMINUM WHEELS
    REAR SPOILER
    THIRD REAR SEAT
    WHEEL LOCKS
    CARPETED FLOOR MATS
    Plus (6years/100K miles warranty)

here are out of the door prices:

the dealer was asking $29,500,
    I was offering $28,600.

How much more should I offer?

Thanks!
    Linhsy, have you checked out the prices at the Washington D.C./Baltimore location of Carmax (Laurel Toyota)? Start off at www.carmax.com and see if you can locate your vehicle there with its price. Most of their prices on the 4 Runners are at or near invoice. If you can get your vehicle for that, I'd say you're doing pretty good. I ordered mine from the Kenosha, WI location and paid slightly above invoice if I were to use Edmund's in calculating invoice. It very well may have been invoice.
    Thanks micksdad1,

I check the carmax with the same opts (but without (6yrs/100k warranty) before tax and other fees is $28,700(no haggle price). That means the Out-to-Door price will be around $29,700 and it still be higher than my dealer.

By the way, after I tested drive, I smell something burning(like tire burning)...the saleman said because I am the first one to drive.
    Is it normal for 04 4runner?

Thanks again.
  • dmbst68dmbst68 Member Posts: 50
    Can anyone recommend a Toyota dealer in western Pennsylvania, i.e. west of Harrisburg, that offers prices near or at invoice on 4Runners? I'm interested in a Sport Ed. 4x4 V6 with the spoiler, JBL, sunroof, etc. There are a few dealers in Maryland that offer this vehicle at invoice, but I'd like to give my business to a local dealer. However, to save $3k or more, I'll drive 3 hours. Thanks for your input.
    Looks like you're getting a very good deal at your dealer. I have been told by other salespeople that the smell is normal. If I recall correctly, they usually indicate that there is some material that is burning off the muffler and this disappears over time. I had salespeople tell me this about the Camry too. I wouldn't be too concerned.
  • wilkichwilkich Member Posts: 52
    One of the posts above (muddin69) mentions purshasing an SR5 with leather. The toyota website indicates that leather is standard on the limited and is not an option on the SR5 or sport. Can someone clear this up? Thanks.
    No Leather Option for SR5...leather package is standard for Limited...However, if someone here buying a SR5 with Leather, then it is not from the manufacture...it is installed by a after_market company.
  • jamonrobjamonrob Member Posts: 11
    I know exactly what I want and I can't find it anywhere. 2004 SR5 with various options and specific color scheme.
    One dealer offered to order it for me and charge me "invoice" .... but his invocie includes: TDA of $635; gasoline $6; holdback $588; Wholesale Finacial Reserve $294. None of these seen legit after reading Edmunds and carbuyingtips.com.
    Do I have to pay these? What are they?
    Also, any suggestions you may have about my next step and what I should offer will be greatly appreciated.
  • richinraleighrichinraleigh Member Posts: 18
    I had the aftermarket leather installed by the dealer on my SR5 and am very happy with it. Looks just as good as the factory leather.
  • glb2glb2 Member Posts: 14
    I was able to eliminate the TDA because the dealer was slow. Keep negotiating. I got a '04 SR5 4WD for a little less than $400 over invoice after deducting TDA and $6 gasoline. Again, they were slow.
  • luba1luba1 Member Posts: 13
    Just leased a 2004 4Runner Limited, 2wd w/JBL 6cd, cutain airbags, daytime running lights, and moonroof. MSRP was over 36k. We put $6081 down and our payments are $289 w/tax per month for 36 months. We made the deal at Power Toyota of Buena Park,CA through the internet. The other dealers, Elmore Toyota and Huntington Beach Toyota wanted another $4k down for the same payment, so I think we got a great deal. Power did a dealer trade the same day to make the deal on a Pacific Blue (apparently not that popular). It was also the last day of the month, as well as the last day for the $750 rebate.

It rides almost as smooth as my Infiniti G35, maybe even quieter. The only thing we miss is that it doesn't have a memory function on the drivers seat. Still love the vehicle and quality and hope it lives up to its reputation.
    I posted a few questions last week, so I will try it again. Does anyone know when the 2005 4Runner will most likely be available for sale at the dealerships? When Toyota introduces the 2005 4Runner, will we see any incentives on the 2004 4Runner in the form of cash back? If I do a out-of-state purchase, what precautions do I need to be aware of? Thanks again in advance.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You might ask around in the regular Toyota 4Runner discussion.

tidester, host
  • lccbrookslccbrooks Member Posts: 7
    I recently purchased the 2004 4dr rwd SR5. MSRP with options and destination charge was $30090 and I paid $27899.