Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota 4Runner Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• slarryslarry Member Posts: 19
    Is it a V6 or V8? If V6 "OK"; If V8 "Good".

Also, if it is a V6 why not get a 2005 for just a little more? If it's a V8 why not wait for the new engine coming next month. Price will be higher though and they won't deal for awhile.

Just things to consider. Good luck!
  • aseenjaseenj Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the reply slarry.

The model I'm looking at is the V6. I wanted the 2004 because I was hoping to save a few dollars. The only other reason is I don't like the rear spoiler on the 2005. I know it's a stupid reason.

There is also a dealer that has a 2004 with about the same specs for 27,999 with 8,000 miles on it. The truck is Certified and it didn't seem like he was willing to deal over the phone.

With the posts I have read people are buying for a couple hundred over invoice on the 2005. Now I'm wondering is there even a reason to look for a 2004 if dealers aren't willing to get rid of them cheap.
  • slarryslarry Member Posts: 19
    Toyota doesn't heavily discount prior year models because the demand is still there. They don't have to do it like GM & Ford does. You won't see $10,000 off MSRP. What you can do though is negotiate things like extended warranties, accessories, free oil changes etc. My choice would be a NEW 2004 or 2005.
  • aseenjaseenj Member Posts: 5
    I did find really great internet prices at www.darcars.com in Maryland as previously posted. The only problem is they list the 2004 models as brand new, but on the model I called about the vehicle was a demo and had 6,900 miles on it. The price was 2,000 below dealer invoice but it is a used truck. The dealer informed me the truck was "brand new" because it was a demo and had never been titled. I'm glad I didn't make the 3 hour drive from NJ to learn the vehicle was misrepresented.
  • woodywwwoodyww Member Posts: 1,806
    I'm new to this forum & just starting to shop for an '03 to '05 4Runner. Does anyone have advice on buying used vs. new? (Do they depreciate enough to really save some $$ buying used?) I could probably afford an '05 Limited if I got a great deal on it. And I know I want the sport suspension, JBL, side curtain airbags, & S/R. I'd probably consider an SR5 or Sport, but I really want heated seats. I'm in the Metro-Boston area. Thanks in advance for any advice!
  • eflandefland Member Posts: 5
    Just purchased a 04 v8 sport for 500 below invoice
    plus $1500 cash back from Toyota. Most dealers
    here in NC are willing to sell at least invoice.
    Getting them lower just takes some will power and time. Selection is getting slim on '04. Was also
    offered 05 v6 at invoice but liked the buttery smooth ride of the v8, as did the wife.
  • lillslills Member Posts: 2
    Got a deal working on a 2005 SR5 4X4 V6 with the following equipment:

AW 17" wheels
    SR Power sunroof
    DR Roof Rack
    RF Rear spoiler
    CF Carpeted floormatts

My best offer right now is $29,638 (which I believe is $300 over invoice, but I'm getting conflciting numbers). Sound like a good deal? Just don't want to overlook any 'last month of the year' type incentives. What a great time to buy a car! Thanks much for any help.
  • ttenragttenrag Member Posts: 38
    I think you are mistaken. If you look under darcars "new" inventory you will see most 4runners listed at about $2000 below invoice as the special internet price. The reason this dealer can do that is because of the mass amount of inventory they move every month. They probably get great kickbacks from toyota based on their number of sales. I have spoken on the phone with them also and we were not talking about any demo's.
  • gtwgtw Member Posts: 46
    Might want to read this. Glad I did before going to them.

http://www.dealerrater.com/dealer/dealer.asp?dealerid=401
  • ttenragttenrag Member Posts: 38
    Thanks for posting that website. Keep in mind that is only about 6 or 7 reviews. I am sure that darcars sells a few more cars than that. I don't plan on doing any service with them whatsoever, but if a vehicle is $2,000 cheaper then why not. Good luck. I am sure every dealership has its horror stories, and I know we never here about the good ones.
  • lorac53lorac53 Member Posts: 2
  • slscottyslscotty Member Posts: 1
    When I list the options on KBB or Edmunds I get an invoice price of about 3K less than what the dealership offers me. On the webs it comes to 33,160 and the dealership is telling me 36,460. They say it's because of installation charges that the dealership has to include for the additional features I'm requesting that they'll add onto an existing car on their lot. I'm looking at the limited, V6 with all the extras. EG: The brush grill is $262 on KBB and the dealership wants to charge me $850 for it. What's up with that difference?
  • db1db1 Member Posts: 3
    i've been trying to get a straight answer from darcars.com. they claim to sell for 1100 under invoice but that includes the 900 rebate. their msrp is higher that what toyota.com has on their site. so in essence there doesnt seem to be any discount at all. they are also adding dealer prep fees and god knows what else. all sounds a little suspect to me...
  • harrynharryn Member Posts: 1
    have been shopping for 2005 toyota 4runner 4wheel drive sr5 v6 w/the below listed options & received a offer of $31,900 before the $1,000 rebate. dealer invoiced @ $31,481.70. Should I buy or shop around some more?

Options:115v ac power point,bk roof rack & cross bars,bug deflector,curtain/side airbags,daytime running lights,dbl deckercargo system,leather faced seats,leather steering/shift knob,power tilt moonroofw/shade,sunroof wind deflector,rear aerodynamic spoiler & 17" alloy wheels. P.S. what is a pre-delivery service fee ($499.)
  • 054runnerwante054runnerwante Member Posts: 1
    i am looking to buy a 05 4 runner limited with navigation pkg, side airbags and sunroof in late jan in santa monica, ca.

i am confused if i should get the v6 or v8 and the 4X2 or 4X4. i will mainly do some hwy and around time driving and will never tow anything. i anticapate taking it to the mountains skiing occassionaly. i have been quoted $35 K for a limited 4 runner, v6, 4X2 with the extras i mentioned above and the price includes everything except tax from the santa monica toyota dealer. anyone have some advice for me and/or a fair price to pay?

thanks,

brian
  • auburn94auburn94 Member Posts: 9
    Here's what I got at Texas Toyota in Grapevine

2004 SR5 V6 4WD with:

AW 17 in wheels

CM Double decker cargo

DR Roof Rack

NE Leather steering wheel and audio controls

RF Rear spoiler

SR Sunroof

Natural white and tan cloth interior

28,200 plus 900 rebate. I feel good about the deal and love the truck. This is my second Toyota (1st was a 95 Tacoma) and second SUV (99 Explorer). Had an Accord before this and felt like an ant in the DFW traffic so I really wanted to get back to an SUV. So far I find it comfortable, though not quite as comfy as the Explorer, and very, very smooth and quiet.
  • tommyg12tommyg12 Member Posts: 158
    Looking to get another SUV since my wife traded our Highlander for a Solara convertible. I started looking at the 4runner and was somewhat shocked that a car in this price range does not have the side airbags as standard. I am even more shocked that out of 1780 4runners available in my region, only 230 have the side a/b option, and most of those are SR5 2wds. I really want a 4wd and would rather have a Sport or Limited. What's the deal? I'm in the Southeast. Do other regions have this problem? thanks
  • gcmellogcmello Member Posts: 17
    I've run into the same here in the Mid-Atlantic region, but it's worse. NO GY option available for SR5 or SE models. I'm told by CARMAX in Baltimore "Toyota builds only Limited Model with GY. I know that's not true because I've accessed the SET listings and found SR5s with GY, but no SE models. I'm looking for an SE V6 or V8 with GY and SR but without RF (rear spoiler). I'm also finding it's difficult to find SR5 or SE models without the CM (double decker cargo system). I have it in my 2003 SE and find it useless--65 lb capacity !!! VERY FRUSTRATING..........
  • blk330iblk330i Member Posts: 5
    You must be looking at the same SE Toyota inventory.

I believe there are some 4WD Limited V6 or V8 with GY. They are however loaded with NAV's and for the V8, adjustable air suspension.

I decided on the 4WD Sport V8 and had to special order it. I was told to expect it in 90-120 days.

4WD Sport V8

Side and curtain airbag

Moon roof

JBL 6-disk 10-speaker

Remote security

Floormat

Tint
    blk330i, Sounds perfect, I'll take it:) I do think that I like the Sport package best of all. I cannot believe that an option that you would think is important to people is so difficult to find. My friend is having the same problem finding a Camry SE-V6 with airbags too, so it's not just the 4runners.
  • mrdlexusmrdlexus Member Posts: 23
    I know the V8 is not out yet, but what would one expect to pay for the 2005 V8 version, sport package 4x4 with standard regional options? I know the V6 is currently being sold around invoice or lower with the current incentives(which expire in early Jan.) I hope to get the same discounts as the V6 currently has, I live in Massachusetts. Anyone have a pre-ordered V8 and willing to share their price? Thanks in advance!!!
    There are 36 Sport V8 4wds listed in the Southeast region. One of my local dealers has them listed for $200 over invoice. You can check them out at toyotaofeasley.com
  • tx_buyer1tx_buyer1 Member Posts: 2
    Could you post the exact $ amount you paid before TTL? Invoice price is a relative term!

Thanks
    Out the door before TTL was 30,637.00.

Toyota of SE has increased the rebate to

2000 on '04, and dealer gave me the additional

$500, dropping the price to 30,137.00.

Options on it were moonroof, jbl w/6disc,115v,

alarm,side airbags (very rare I'm told),dd cargo,

inside mirror w/compass,homelink,spoiler, daytime r.
  • lorryfanlorryfan Member Posts: 76
    Anyone aware that the 4Runner V8 qualifies for a tax write-off because it's over 6000lb in weight? I know it applies to small business owners, but does it apply to individual buyers as well?

For example, OTD price for a 4Runner V8 costing $37,000 with options will yield about $16,000 in tax benefit write off....not bad huh!!! Anyone with additional filler?
    This tax write off, or "tax loop hole", for a vehicle with a gvw of more than 6000 lbs was stopped by Congress in October of 2004.

For personal use I know of no real tax write offs.
  • jagsjags Member Posts: 2
    I am into the market for SR5 4X4 and want to buy before jan 03 05. Is there anybody who have recently purchased a SR5 or Sport Edition in Saint Louis area and want to share the price information?

This will help me a lot.

Thanks

Jags
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,147
    If you look back in at some earlier posts here:

sid2, "Toyota 4Runner: Prices Paid & Buying Experience" #741, 18 Oct 2004 5:43 pm

You'll see the price paid for an SR5 at Seeger Toyota. That's the only STL conversation I could easily find in this discussion.

kirstie_h

Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• decdec Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought a 2004 Limited 4Runner 4x4 from Carmax Toyota (Laurel) in Maryland. The SUV has a sunroof/moonroof, XREAS shocks, side air bags, JBL soundsystem, power leather seats, the cargo shelf, etc. I think it had every option except the video camera and navigation system. I paid $33,888 plus $15 for temporary tags and $90 processing fee.

I searched all over the internet, called folks in my area, and got offers via email from multiple dealers. This seemed like a good price and it was identical to the price a coworker of mine paid for the same vehicle in Chicago that he purchased via the Costco program. The price was about $3-4,000 less than the same vehicle in my current location (Boise, ID).

The buying experience was excellent. There was absolutely no pressure, no hidden fees, no haggling, no market adjustment fees, or any of that other garbage. They didn't ask about coating for seats, underbody, or any of that nonsense. Basically, it was like buying an expensive six pack at the store. You know exactly what you are buying and what you are going to pay.

So, if you are in the market for a Toyota and you do not want to haggle or have people pull a fast one on you, I highly recommend buying from Carmax. It is also relatively close to the Darcars that was mentioned previously.

PS--I don't work for Carmax or own their stock. The reason I posted this is that I got royally screwed by a car dealer in Tysons Corner the first time that I bought a car and I will never haggle with [non-permissible content removed] carsalesmen again. Carmax dealt with me professionally and they offered a lower price than anyone else that I found. You can look through their entire inventory online.
  • lynx50lynx50 Member Posts: 7
    Can anyone describe how the XREAS suspension affects the quality of the ride on the 4Runner? It is my understanding that XREAS is designed to reduce side to side pitch/roll on curves and bumpy roads. But does XREAS make the ride quality more harsh - as do some sport suspension settings on performance cars? I am considering ordering a 2005 4Runner Limited with the XREAS option - but I'm concerned that this will make the ride quality harsher under normal driving conditions.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
  • cwaltercewcwaltercew Member Posts: 1
    They are not 2000 cheaper. They are selling 2004's

for 2000 less than 2005's. That is not cheaper.
  • lukeskylukesky Member Posts: 3
    $34,995 +ttl

2005 Limited

Side curtain airbags (RSCA)

Daytime Running Lights (DRL)

Navagation System

Plus other stuff I can't remember at 3am...

Toyota of Orlando, they get 2 like this a year or something they said.

Hope this helps...
  • bought1bought1 Member Posts: 2
    Went to Costco, sent to dealer. No blame to Costco but this guy was obviously between careers, and apparently didn't know how to search the interent for available inventory. So I went home and did it myself, and found what appears to be a good deal from Carson Toyota internet department(Los Angeles). Bought it without negotiating. Fast and friendly service. They didn't want sell anything extra from this fleet/internet department- actively discouraged it in fact. But I mentioned a cargo net and saw later that they had thrown one in the back without saying anything about it.

MSRP $40,209 (V8, sunroof, side/curtain airbags, JBL uppgrade, etc.)

Edmunds-calculated invoice: $35,769

Edumnds TMV $36,642

I paid $35,444 less $2,000 rebate.

($33,544 plus ttl.)

They have more of the same and similar listed, along with 2005's. They seem to be gradually reducing the 2004 prices as the January 3, 2005 rebate deadline approaches.
  • shatzishatzi Member Posts: 15
    I just went to two Toyota dealers and this is the best lease price that I got. Is it a good deal.

2005 4Runner Sport Edition.

MSRP: 33,556

Invoice: 30,217 (included $495 advertising and $595 destination fee)

Money Factor: .0138

Residual: $20,528

Money down: $424.87(first payment)+ Motor Vehicle approx. $150 - everything else was rolled into the payment

Our Cost: $30,577 ($350 over invoice)

Monthly Payment: $424.87

They said that the lease program was a lower money factor or the $900 marketing promotion - one or the other, not both

Please respond, have to make a decision right away.
  • thekearnykidthekearnykid Member Posts: 1
    Hey guys,

I might purchase a 2004 Toyota 4Runner Limited. Will dealers sell below invoice because they just want to get rid of it? Another thing is that the vehicle that I'm looking at has over 500 miles on it. They are willing to sell an 05 for a few hundred over invoice, so I figure they would want to rid themselves of the 04's.
  • jagsjags Member Posts: 2
    Bought last night.

2005 SR5 V6 4WD with:

AW 17 in wheels

CM Double decker cargo

DR Roof Rack

NE Leather steering wheel and audio controls

RF Rear spoiler

SR Sunroof

Exhaust Tip

Carpet Mats

MSRP: 32,285

Paid: 28, 150 + ($10 doc fee)

I told i will only do invoice, i had kbb invoice price. He had the same invoce with additional $407 ad fee, $6 misc fee) - total invoice 29,102. I told him i will pay $28,100 including the $1000 cashback, 5 minutes later I finished the deal for $28,150.

Thank you all for sharing your buying prices. This helped me to get a great deal. What do you guys think of this deal?

Thanks again all!!!!
  • rjordanrjordan Member Posts: 30
    For what its worth, I Purchased a 2004 4Runner limited with V6 engine for $34,792.00 in October. This vehicle was used by the owner. Even though it had 4800 miles on it, I checked its value with Edmunds and Kelly blue book used car values and the salesman deal was lower. I also have been studying this vehicle since the 2003 models and from this forum and Edmunds, I learned a lot. I actually went in to order a 2005 4Runner sport edition and had my offer ready but I was also open to a 2004 limited if the price was right. When I test drove it, it felt like it had zero miles on it. I am very pleased with its operation. I believe that purchasing the dealers car or demonstrator makes good sense as in all probability, there will be nothing wrong with them because when they demostrate the vehicle to a customer, any problems prior to this were already fixed. Here are some negotiating points to consider. Dealer's can still sell the vehicle as new as it has not been titled yet. Check Edmunds and Kelly to see what a used vehicle price would be with same equipment.

Check for current rebates. Then subtract the rebate. Some people say you have to pay advertizing fees. My invoice does not show this. So maybe its hidden somewhere. This I feel is negotiable. Bob.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,147
    Some people say you have to pay advertizing fees. My invoice does not show this. So maybe its hidden somewhere. This I feel is negotiable.

Check the sticker that was on the window (factory sticker). It should list an advertising fee. If the ad fee is listed on that sticker, then in all likelihood it's not negotiable - just like the destination fee, it's a cost charged to the dealership by the manufacturer. The ad fee on your vehicle may have been paid by the original owner, and therefore you weren't charged for it again.

kirstie_h

Roving Host

Host, Smart Shopper & Future Vehicles discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Right now is a very good time to buy an '04. In the Southeast region, dealers are advertising new '04 Limited V8s that have an MSRP of $39,690 at a selling price of $33,988.
    I checked the Factory window sticker and there was no advertizing fee indicated. But I seem to recall an article from a Buyer's agent that in some localities, the fee is part of the base invoice price, so you don't really see it.
    I can believe it. Are the southeast dealers quoting a price before or after any rebates?
  • vallan1vallan1 Member Posts: 1
    We made an offer on a 2005 4runner, SR5, V6 at 27,700 through Ensign Toyota in Logan, Utah. They agreed to the deal. The dealer invoice price on the car is 28,166, but there is a deal from Toyota that you either get $750 off or you get a special deal on financing. We didn’t need the financing, so took the $750. We offered a little more than 28166 - 750. The only additional costs we were told about were taxes, license, recycling ($5), and docs ($239). The dealership agreed to the deal. However, as we went into sign the papers, they had added a $565 destination charge. This came as a surprise, but since we had gotten a good deal, the reaction was “Oh, I guess it wasn’t quite as good of a deal as we thought.” We signed the papers, and were to pick up the car the next day. No money exchanged hands. After we left, the feelings turned from “it wasn’t quite as good a deal as we thought” to “that seems dishonest to promise us a deal and then add extra fees we weren’t told about”. We attempted to get out of the deal. We sent faxes both to the dealership and the credit union (who was providing partial financing) so we had a paper trail. We were told a variety of things:

Friend: The dealer never signed your copy of the papers. The contract is invalid.

Credit Union: No money changed hands and you didn’t pick up the car. You can cancel the deal. They would be silly to make an issue of it. It would cost them more than it would be worth to pursue it.

Dealer: You’ve signed the papers; you have to go through with it. The three-day buyer’s remorse rule is not law. It is up to the dealership whether they allow you to walk away from the deal, and we don’t allow it.

Second Dealer: In the meantime, we called another dealer and arranged for almost the same deal. Their numbers were: 28,166 (invoice) – 750 (rebate) + 417 (PAC) = 27833. They were so eager to help us (they can make a sale investing 10 minutes on the phone) and said there was a Utah Auto Dealership lawyer that would work with us if we needed help.

Dealer: When confronted with a dealer that would match the original deal, Ensign said they would deduct the 565 from the selling price. We told him we still wanted out of the deal as we didn’t feel comfortable with them. Ensign refused to let us out. How much money must they be making if they fight like dogs to sell the car at $1000 below dealer invoice?

Things I would do in the future:

1. Ask for full “out the door pricing” on the purchase agreement. Get it in writing and have the credit union look at the purchase agreement to detect abnormalities.

2. Don’t sign if you have any reservations.

3. Make sure you have a statement saying what features come with the car (the sticker info).

4. REALLY check over the car before you take possession. Check the paint, carpet, etc. Once you take it off the lot, you have a lot more problems getting things fixed.

5. Don’t take possession of the car the day the papers are written up. Give yourself a day to make sure everything is in order.
    hmmm, I don't see the rebates listed on the web sites, good question. I would assume that the selling price is after rebate.
  • m6buyerm6buyer Member Posts: 4
    Looking for a 2005 V8 4x4 with tow package and live in Baltimore area whats a good price and how much over or under invoice is a good price for one with very little mileage, and what rebates are they offering since the Jan3 rebates expired
  • m6buyerm6buyer Member Posts: 4
    did some research on the rebates to answ. my own ques1000 off 05, 1250 off 04, 2000 off 2004V8
  • buffalogeorgebuffalogeorge Member Posts: 5
    Looking for a 2005 v8 Sport 4x4 in Buffalo area, anyone have suggestions on best place to buy, for price and service..Any rebates
  • go-to-akgo-to-ak Member Posts: 11
    I am currently looking for a 2003 or 2004 4Runner- prefer the V-8 2WD version (live in the South). I am not crazy about the two-tone plastic on the 03 model (the hood scoop is okay). I really want the Xreas suspension/shock system, and know for sure it is on all Sport models, and a stand-alone options on others. I have been looking at 4Runners on Autotrader and calling dealerships, but many of the salespeople have been clueless as to what X-Reas is, let alone how to tell if one of the vehicles on the lot have the system. To further confuse things, some of these same bright people are labelling 4Runners as SR5/Sport in their ads (ones that clearly don't have a hood scoop in the photos). Is there any other way to visually tell is the car has Xreas as an add-on option? I have noticed looking at the interiors that all Sports (and some non-sport models) have a leather shift knob and leather covered steering wheel and others have a hard plastic. Is this the clue I am looking for? Thanks for any input you may have!
  • gcmellogcmello Member Posts: 17
    If it has a hood scoop, it's a Sport model. Hood scoops are NOT an option for the SR5 or the Limited. ALL Sport models have X-REAS. It is not an "add-on" item. X-REAS is installed when the vehicle is being built.

The only other visual clue that it has X-REAS is the small canister mounted on the frame rail on each side just forward of the rear doors.

Just because it has a leather steering wheel, doesn't mean it's a Sport model. The leather steering wheel is standard on ALL Sport and Limited models, the hard plastic is standard equipment for the SR5s only. SR5s can be built with leather steering wheels as an option.
  • ks_sv650sks_sv650s Member Posts: 2
    $29,500

This is the deal I got for a 2005 V8 AWD Sport with sport pack and sunroof (New England area).

MSRP $34,506

Includes $1000 rebate (up from $500 before 1/3)

Deposit down, still to pick up. Will update once I have the truck!
  • woof woofwoof woof Member Posts: 6
    Does anyone have any experience negotiating the 4wd v 2wd. I'm a bit undecided and was wondering if they're any more flexible in pricing either or. Also from what i've read and seen, the dealers in Arizona are particulary hard to bargain with. Anyone have a good experience with Arizona Dealers?

Thanks in advance this is a great site!

Kelly