Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota 4Runner Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• mrdlexusmrdlexus Member Posts: 23
    What dealership in New England are you purchasing this from?
  • tripowertomtripowertom Member Posts: 7
    I also have just received a quote for an 05 sport 6cyl 4wd with SR,RL,CM,RF and CF for $28,000.

Price includes all rebates. MSRP of $33,056. Dealer is also in the NE area. I feel the price is alright all things considered but would appreciate any feed back +/-....has anybody out there done better?

Might pull the trigger saturday....all responses are welcome!
  • naznaz Member Posts: 2
    The Tempe Toyota internet department is easy to deal with. They are typically $100 over invoice. I am not sure what to expect with respect to 4wd versus 2wd, it seems that Tempe Toyota has a good selection of both.
  • woof woofwoof woof Member Posts: 6
    I will check with Tempe Toyota. I went to Bell Toyota, they had alot of 2x4 not many 4x4. Has anyone had any experience with financing, they dont offer any specials on 4Runners do they? Thanks for the reply Naz.

Kelly
  • ks_sv650sks_sv650s Member Posts: 2
    Picked it up on Saturday. One sweet truck. Boch Toyota.
  • ravenbzravenbz Member Posts: 1
    Bought a 05 SR5 last week of Dec

AW 17 in wheels

CM Double decker cargo

DR Roof Rack

SR Sunroof

Exhaust Tip

Carpet Mats

Wheel Lock

MSRP: 32,200+

Paid: 27,062 + Doc

It was with $500 debate, now Toyota offers $1000.
  • rischardrischard Member Posts: 3
    Someone help please!!! My deal was made and I was ready to sign the papers Friday to order a new 4runner that would deliver to the dealer probably in late March or early April. Then the dealer said,"The $900 rebate that is included in your deal may not be in effect when you take delivery of your new vehicle and therefore will mean that you owe an additional $900 to us. If the rebate is more than $900 when you take delivery, thats good for you but if the rebate goes down or goes away then thats bad for you. Thats how rebates work".

Is this dealer telling me the truth ???

Rischard

Is this dealer
  • bosephus12bosephus12 Member Posts: 4
    With Navigation, Rear Suspension, side airbags, preferred accessory for $39,279. Any thoughts on the price? I live in southern New York.
  • rjordanrjordan Member Posts: 30
    The dealer may be withholding some information. It appears he is correct about losing the rebate as they are only good for the month, usually from the first to the last day of the month. But listen to the following carefully. The last time I contacted Toyota through their website they said rebates are only in effect at time of delivery. So if there is another rebate being promoted at the time you take delivery, the dealer is going to say that the rebate that was offered at contract signing has run out, which is true. But I believe you still qualify for any rebate if offered in the month you take delivery because the dealer use it as a selling point to get you to sign the contract. If you knew at time of signing that your vehicle would take a few months for delivery, then the dealer should honor any rebate offered when you receive the vehicle. Here's what to do. Contact Toyota through their web site (don't call them) and tell them you placed an order and ask them what is the policy on future rebates if the vehicle is not delivered to you within the original rebate period. If their answer is favorable to you, then make copies of their reply and give one to the dealer. In any event, you have more ammunition if the rebate amount is placed in the column with the rest of the costs of the truck. If the salesman or dealer does not honor it, then I would advise you to walk out on the deal. Remember one thing; when Spring arrives, there may be no rebate offered as it is much busier at the dealers and Toyota has no incentive to offer rebates. This is the only way that I can see that the dealer can legally get out of a rebate. It seems to me that he sold you a truck knowing in advance, you would not get the current rebate in effect at time of signing. So I don't see how you would owe him an additional $900.00. If the dealer threatens legal action, tell him you will have an attorney talk to him.
    Thanks so much for your excellent advice- you obviously have thought through this problem and understand it well. As a former business owner I cannot imagine going back to my customer and changing the terms of the deal we made a couple months earlier. But then, the car business may be a whole different animal. Thanks again.
  • wbaywbay Member Posts: 34
    Hey ks_sv650s,

Would you detail the options package for us? I'm curious if you also have the side curtain airbags (GY). Did your $29,500 work out to about the invoice price, or was there a reduction off even the invoice?
  • kcom2006kcom2006 Member Posts: 2
    To help everyone out, I purchased this vehicle for

$600 over invoice.

2005 4Runner Sport 4WD V8 Dealer Invoice is

$27,971.00

Remaing #'s are Dealer Invoice Costs

JBL CD/FM & 10 speakers -$476.00

Daytime running lights - $32

Double Deck Cargo - $100

Sunroof - $720

Rear Spoiler - $160

Valor Exhaust Tip - $42

Door Sill Enhancements ACSCO - $109

Preferred Accessory Package - $220

Destination Charge - $565

TDA - $609

Gasoline - $6

Dealer Hold Back - $324

TOTAL - $31,983.00

Hope this help you buy 2005 4Runner. I have a

copy of the invoice if you want to see it just email

me.

I also recommend reading http://www.fool.com/car/car.htm !!! Especially the FAX war is a crucial step to get competitive offers in order to have negotiating power at a local dealership. 2% over invoice is a fair value to demand.
  • alibajalajaulaalibajalajaula Member Posts: 89
    Hi guys, nice forum.

I am the process of inquiring for a 2005 SR5 2WD V6, want to finish before the month expires to get that incentive ($1000) and I need to pin down the invoice cost/TMV cost for the following options (which are not listed under the Edmunds table):

AW 17" Alloy Wheels w/P265/65r17 tires

EH All-In-One DVD System

WL Wheel Locks

PN Anti-Theft Alarm System

M5 Carpet Mat Set (5 Pc)

As a first approximation I used similar percentages as other listed options. But I wonder if there's a place where all of this is spelled out. Also, has any out there ordered this all-in-one-DVD; there's no description on whether this is the little screen coming from the roof or is it the 2 screens embedded in the headrests.

Any input from the forum will be welcome.

P.S. Any one has heard if these incentives are going to be extended into february?
  • mayfair1mayfair1 Member Posts: 3
    Do you have to be a Costco Member to buy a car from Costco?
  • bosephus12bosephus12 Member Posts: 4
    I'm in a similar predicament - Toyota is offering 0% financing for 36 months, which expires January 31, but the dealer said he might not have my car for me to take possession before the end of the month. So I asked the sales manager if I would lose the 0% if I took possession in February and he told me that he would take care of it - which makes me very nervous given your experience. Did you have any luck resolving the issue through Toyota's website? Thanks.
    kcom2006

thanks for your input. I went thru the fax war gyrations of the motley fool but it didn't work. Of three inquiries I got acknowledge from 2, and only 1 called and we engaged in some discusion of models and options. Looks like dealers in Houston prefer to deal in person, not by fax nor internet. Time was running down on the $1000 incentive so I decided to arm myself with the best numbers and hit the dealer that gave me most info on my prospective car.

In the end I pulled the trigger last night with a

MODEL 8642A 2005 4RUNNER 4 DOOR SR5

STRATOSPHERE MICA 08QO/DARK GREY FG12 INVOICE MSRP

MFG BASE PRICES 23727.00 27495.00

TOTAL FACTORY OPTIONS 564.00 705.00

TOTAL PORT OPTIONS 269.00 533.00

DELIVERY 595.00 595.00

T.D.A. 275.00 0.00

M.A.F. 379.00 0.00

2%HOLDBACK MSRP 549.00 0.00

PIO HOLDBACK 42.00 0.00

DEALER ADDED OPTIONS 0.00 0.00

FLEET PRICE PROTECTION 0.00 0.00

1%FINANCE RESERVE MSRP 274.00 0.00

FLEET CREDIT 0.00 0.00

**PRICING TOTALS** 26674.00 29328.00

CODE -----------------------DESCRIPTION-------------------------------- --- INVOICE MSRP

AW17" ALLOY WHEELS W P265/65R17 80.00 100.00

CM DOUBLE DECKER CARGO 100.00 125.00

DR BLACK ROOF RACK 176.00 220.00

FE 50 STATES EMISSIONS 0.00 0.00

NE LEATHER STEERING WHEEL 176.00 220.00

RL DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS 32.00 40.00

TOTAL FACTORY OPTIONS 564.00 705.00

*PORT INSTALLED (BM) 0.00 0.00

*PORT INSTALLED (SN) 0.00 0.00

P4 VEHICLE SHIELD PACKAGE 95.50 349.00

M5 CARPET MAT SET (5 PC) 112.00 184.00

F1 VIP SALES FOLLOW UP 6.95 0.00

I2 PDS WITH TEXAS STATE INSP. 46.75 0.00

G1 VEHICLE FUELING 7.80 0.00

TOTAL PORT OPTIONS 269.00 533.00

PRICE AGREED = INVOICE+200 W/WHEEL LOCKS INCLUDED

MINUS 1000$ CASH INCENTIVE

PRICE AGREED = 25874.00 AFTER REBATE+TTL

I wasn't able to reconstruct this pricing independently from KBB or TMV Edmunds, so at first it was kind of difficult to validate. I did some cross shopping with another dealer (Sterling) which allowed me to corroborate the figures. In the end I bought from Champions on Gulf Freeway. It was hard nosed because when I came to trade in my van, they wanted to lowball it initially, until we arrived at a reasonable amount.

But I finally got my 4Runner and it sure runs like silk.....
  • sr34sr34 Member Posts: 2
    Tripowertom,

Did you pull the deal off for 05 Sport? I am in NE as well. Looking to see how you made out.

Thanks!!
  • mntimmntim Member Posts: 4
    Any info out there yet on 4Runner incentives for February 2005? Hoping to get one this month, if the price is right. Thanks.
    rebates are now 1k
    thanks woof. I learned from my dealer today that the cash rebate for Feb. is the same as Jan, which in the Minneapolis area is $900.
  • 7art7art Member Posts: 11
    How do holdbacks work? My very definite understanding from Edmunds, and others, is that you take the dealer invoice and SUBTRACT the holdback to get true dealer cost. The numbers outlined in alibajalajaula's message below do the same thing a Toyota dealer in Cincinnati just tried to pull on me - they list out all the charges, TDA, fueling cost, holdback, etc., then ADD them all to create a supposed bottom line cost to them.

As far as I can tell, they are double dipping - not subtracting the holdback they are getting, and adding it back into the invoice price a second time.

What gives? Are they all playing this game, or do I misunderstand how Toyota's costs are calculated.

Note that the error I got was not a salesman's hand calculations, where he made an honest mistake - this was the computer printout !!!

Art
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    You might have a look at our Dealer Holdback discussion.

kirstie_h

Roving Host

Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Art

How about that finance reserve line item? Is that also supposed to be subtracted a la "holdbacks"?When I arrived, my invoice figures (Edmunds/KBB) where roughly $500 below. This is one of those where you don't wanna know more than you should because it's a fait accomplí - done deal. On the other hand I look at the bright side of it, I needed the car (as much as I wanted), our van was pretty much finished and I got a trade-in value that beat by $500 the original trade-in price by the dealer. By the way, I never mentioned trade the first day, only when I showed to pick up the car, and the new car price was frozen. At this point I used as leverage the fact we had spent several hours reaching price agreements, plus the fact I had another identical deal with a better trade-in price (+$500), and the real fact that the minute I walked out of there, my business was going somewhere else. Minutes later we cut the deal. The last straw was that I had my own credit union financing arranged, so they were not going to screw me there either.

alibajalajaula
  • tjhtjh Member Posts: 2
    Last march i picked up an grey SR5 4WD with racks, moon roof, and a few small options in Southern California for about $30k out the door. The price before fees etc... was below invoice, but I dont remember the exact #'s. I LOVE the 4Runner though. Best midsize SUV in my opinion.
  • sr34sr34 Member Posts: 2
    tommyg12,

I am looking at an 05 4Runner Sport V6 4X4. I was advised that Toyota is not currently building with the side air bags. The dealer searched the Northeast and NY region to try and find one that may have it
  • 7art7art Member Posts: 11
    I have seen several posts where people gave all the figures for invoice, options, etc, plus the holdback.

The dealer invoice adds all these numbers, including the holdback to get the dealer invoice. I believe this is wrong - the holdback should be subtracted from the Toyota invoice, not added, since this is a credit to the dealer, not a cost. In my understanding, the dealers who do this are padding their invoice by double dipping the holdback.

Do I misunderstand holdbacks, or is this practice widespread, misrepresenting the true dealer cost of a vehicle?

Art
    Again, this is a better question for our Dealer Holdback discussion.

kirstie_h

Roving Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

I'm still not having any luck with Phoenix area dealers. It seems they will sell the truck at invoice if they keep the rebate. I want it @ invoice with the rebate is this too much to ask? Also who is buying the 2 wheel drive, every dealership I go to they are loaded with 2's, short on 4's.

Kelly
  • cfd firemancfd fireman Member Posts: 6
    I recently bought a 2004 sr5 v8,I traded a 2002 jeep. I bought white, they really pushed the paint protection,Ilive in chicago I park out side is the paint protection worth it?
    Sorry for the delay in answering. The bottom line is that I will get whatever rebate is in effect at the time I take delivery of my new 4Runner. If the rebate goes up- I get it. If it goes down or goes away- I get that as well. Thats one of the cons of special ordering a car rather than buying one on the lot. But I wanted navigation in mine and I wanted the color that I wanted so special ordering was my only option if I wanted the vehicle configured a certain way.
    Art,

Click on this link or type it in on your browser and it will lead you to an article explaining "Holdback". http://www.edmunds.com/advice/incentives/holdback/index.html It contains 3 pages of info. The bottom line on holdbacks is if you see it on the invoice, make sure it is subtracted from the cost of vehicle to you and not added on. Holdback is a deal between dealer and factory and the buyer has no responsibility for it. Print it and hold for referance. Holdback money usually last for 3 months. This helps the dealers pay for the financing cost while the vehicle sits on the lot. The longer it sits, the less holdback money the dealer gets from the factory until theres nothing left. Depending on what vehicle is purchased, holdback money can amount to $600.00 and above; see the article. So if the holdback time has run out, the dealer should not be charging you for stocking his lots with unsold cars. That's his problem and the factory. Bob.
  • tripowertomtripowertom Member Posts: 7
    Hey Sr34,

Did pull the trigger on the '05 sport,6cyl,4wd (#8666) with SR,CM,RL,RF,CF...out the door for $27,700 (including all rebates).

Dealer seemed really eager to put the deal together.....I was in the chair only about 15 minutes after test drive and vehicle inspection.

In hind-sight I think I could have squeezed him a little more...dealer is in norwood. 2nd largest toyota dealer in the US (world)...salesman claimed they average 700+ toyotas a month.
  • hifiguyhifiguy Member Posts: 1
    I'm assuming you mean Boch Toyota in Norwood? I bought an SR5 with 3rd row and roof rack for $27,000. I bought mine last Sunday before the $1250 rebate kicked in (I got the $1,000 rebate). Seems pretty standard for Boch to let these go for right around invoice.
  • ronstoyronstoy Member Posts: 55
    Hi Vallan1,

Which dealership did you end up getting the 4Runner from? Ensign or the other SLC Dealer.

I might be looking, but I am closer to Brent Brown or Karl Malone.
    I purchased my 2005 SR5 V-6 4x4 @ Camelback Toyota today. It included 3rd row, side airbacks, roof rack, and spoiler (option B) 27,100 after rebates. They also threw in 4 percent financing, not a bad deal.

Thanks to everyone for their help.
  • cfd firemancfd fireman Member Posts: 6
    no
    2005 V6 Sport (silver).

$50 over the KBB.com invoice price, before the $900 rebate.

$32,960 MSRP, $29,250 invoice (KBB), final cost $28,400.

Dealer is Toyota City in Brooklyn Park, MN.
  • carguy1234carguy1234 Member Posts: 233
    Hi,

I'm also in MN considering a 4Runner. Did you shop around between the dealerships? Did you have to negotiate hard to get that price or were they dealing openly?

Also, was it a truck on the lot or an order?

Thanks.
    CarGuy: yes, I shopped at three different dealerships (Walser, Rudy Luther, and Toyota City). I didn't have to negotiate hard. I think you just need to be ready to buy, and let them know you are ready to move on to the next dealer if they can't meet your best (yet fair) offer. Don't mention holdbacks unless they say they aren't making money on the sale.

Yes, the truck was on the lot. I must say I'm not crazy about the appearance of the rear spoiler, but anything on the lot in this area will have it (for some reason, Toyota thinks everyone in the Chicago region needs a spoiler. Argh...).

Good luck! Please post your results when you swing a deal.
    A Fleet Dealer told me today that if I want a 4Runner off the boat or from the port, I would have to pay an extra $240, because Toyota increased the MSRP by $300 for any 4runner that is not at a dealer's lot by Feb 7th.

Is this True?
    I found my answer here:

http://pressroom.toyota.com/photo_library/display_release.html?id- =20050128

Toyota Announces Price Adjustments on Selected 2005 Models

01/28/2005 Torrance, CA

Toyota Motor Sales (TMS), U.S.A., Inc., today announced new base vehicle pricing for certain 2005 model year cars and trucks.

The price adjustment for 15 selected Toyota and Scion models reflects an average Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) increase of $142, or 0.6%. Scion models receive the following average MSRP increase: the xA subcompact, $50 or 0.4 percent, the xB urban utility vehicle, $50 or 0.4 percent and the tC sports coupe, $50 or 0.3 percent.

Toyota models, and their average MSRP increase, include: the Sequoia full-size SUV, $100 or 0.3 percent, the Tundra full-size pickup truck, $100 or 0.4 percent, the Camry Solara coupe, $100 or 0.4 percent, the Land Cruiser full-size SUV, $300 or 0.5 percent, the Matrix crossover utility vehicle, $100 or 0.6%, the Corolla compact sedan, $100 or 0.7 percent, the Camry sedan, $150 or 0.7 percent, the Sienna van, $200 or 0.8 percent, the Highlander mid-size SUV, $200 or 0.8%, the Echo sedan, $100 or 0.9 percent, the RAV4 compact sport utility vehicle (SUV), $200 or 1.0 percent and the 4Runner mid-size SUV, $300 or 1.0 percent.

The price adjustment on all 15 models will take effect on February 7.
  • zman5zman5 Member Posts: 3
    After a couple of hours at the dealership (test drive, trade-in appraisal, "I need to talk to the manager" time), I got a quote of 24,900 (options include sunroof, spoiler, roof rack). Not a fan of the spoiler (to say the least) but in my area, apparently a spoiler is what the customers want.

MSRP is 29,700. Invoice is approx. 26,400. After the 1,000 rebate, price is 25,400. It looks like the offer is 500 under "invoice". Seemed kind of low considering that it was his first offer.

Here is the kicker: they then appraised my Tacoma (I insisted on getting a quote before getting my truck appraised) for about 2,500 less than the trade in value on both KBB and Edmunds (within 100 of each other). The truck was washed, cleaned, buffed (sparkles like a diamond) before going to the dealer. Cosmetically and mechanically, in excellent shape . . . just passed inspection (in Feb.) and replaced front brake pads. I then pointed out that the configuration they used to appraise the truck was incorrect (left out several options). Anyway, an hour later the trade in value was "raised" to 1000 below the value on Kbb and Edmunds. I walked (was ready to seal the deal just couldn't force myself to accept the trade in price). What do you think?

BTW: In addition to the quoted price, paperwork is approx. 150, and of course taxes (one of those sure things in life).

Thanks for any advice.
    You can do this for yourself by imputing the information on the new car section to see what the true market value is on the SR5. You need to imput all the options such as V8 or V6, then add the same options you stated. The salesman at this point may be cutting his price on the 4runner and making it up on your trade in. but as you study the bottom line figures, you have to decide if you are getting a deal. You will see this on the TMV. Watch out for the rebate pitch. Get it in writing that you will get the rebate at time of delivery. Rebates by the manufacturer are given to customers for existing stock in order to move these vehicles quickly off the lots and the rebate period usually begins at the beginning of the month, then it expires at the end. After which a new rebate period begins, but not necessarily. So if you don't take delivery on a vehicle on his lot or some nearby dealers lot, then the salesman may say the your rebate expired if 30 days passes from the time of your order and date of delivery. So again, get it in writing that you will get the rebate when the vehicle is delivered to you. In most cases, you are better off selling your Tacoma privately. Also ask the salesman, whats his price delivered without your trade.
  • markjennmarkjenn Member Posts: 1,142
    This still might be a good deal. IMHO, the net sources often overestimate trade in value. And they may have low-balled the new car price because they figured they'd get you on the trade in. I'd be concerned about the total cost. If the new car was $1K more and they had given you book on the trade would you have closed the deal?

I know sources like Consumer Reports say that you should first negotiate the new car, then introduce the trade, but unless you're really willing to buy the new car outright and sell the trade yourself, I consider this bad advice. Too often the dealer will feel like they have you over a barrel by getting your committment on the new car so they can low-ball the trade. Further, my experience is that trade-in appraisals vary much MUCH more than the deal that they'll give you on the new car price. So you're really more concerned about the +/- $2K variance in trade value than you are with the +/- $500 variance in what the dealer will do on the new car.

If you don't want to sell your car yourself, I think it is a better idea just to do the entire negotiation in one step - negotiate on the difference between new car and trade + TTL. This simplifies things and you get out of the problem you just got into.

- Mark
  • emeadowsemeadows Member Posts: 2
    I recently decided to purchase a Toyota 4Runner in the Atlanta area. I did my research in late December and early January with the intent of purchasing close to the end of January. I also considered purchasing a Pathfinder, Frontier, Tacoma, Explorer, SportTrac, and Tundra. My short list was a 4Runner and a Tundra double-cab. I ended up purchasing my new 2005 SR5 V6 RWD 4Runner in Salsa Red from Sandy Springs Toyota since they had an arrangement with my credit union to complete the prearranged financing at their site (3.75% for 36 months), they had the color and options I desired, and delivered a fair price based upon my research (I contacted every Toyota dealership in Georgia and 2 each in South Carolina, Tennessee, and Alabama). My walk out price including application of the $1000 rebate, taxes, tag, vehicle cost, and made up fees was $26,300. This breaks down to a vehicle cost of $24625 (includes rebate), $1578 in taxes, and $70 for tag & title. The vehicle has 5 miles on it when I first test drove it and 12 when I bought it. It has 17" wheels, the roof rack, leather wrapped steering wheel / shift know, and the 5 piece floor mats as options.

My requirements were a vehicle that was Salsa Red (preferred)or Gold, a SR5 V6 RWD, it have 17" wheels, the roof rack, leather wrapped steering wheel and shift knob. I figured I could purchase floor mats after market and save a considerable amount based upon the $225 MSRP from the dealers and $188 invoice price. I wrote up a letter outlining these requirements, indicated that I would be purchasing the weekend of January 29th (last weekend of January), that the vehicle must be in stock and available for delivery, there were no second chances for their best drive out price including all fees and taxes, no trade was involved (but I did have a car I could have traded) and that if a deal was offered and I came in and the deal changed I would walk and take my business to another dealer. I then sent this letter in the form of an email to all the Toyota dealers internet departments (found the contacts online) and waited for their replies, which began coming in almost immediately.

I was surprised that the dealerships I thought would respond with the best pricing (Atlanta, Stone Mountain , Mall of GA, and World Toyota) actually responded with some of the highest pricing and in the case of World continually responded with vehicles that were not in stock (I assume they were tyring to get me in the door for an attempt to switch me to another vehicle). The dealerships with the best price and most aggressive stance were Cobb County Toyota and Cherokee County Toyota and I would have purchased from one of these two dealerships if they had the color I was seeking (salsa red was my preferred color), but there seemed to be a shortage of this color. Many dealers quoted me the one I eventually bought, but all were quoting me around $27000 plus tax (6% or another $1620) and tag ($70). Cobb County and Cherokee quoted me drive outs on a gold 4Runner equipped as I stated for $25900 ($24276 purchase price, $1554 tax, and $70 tag & title). Marietta Toyota also offered a good deal, but it was on a 4Runner that was Salsa Red that was over equipped for my needs (sunroof and upgraded stereo among other options I didn't need).

As I stated earlier I eventually purchased the vehicle from Sandy Springs Toyota since they had it in stock and negotiated fairly. I did pay about $350 more than I would have to Cherokee or Cobb County Toyota, but I got the color I wanted and in addition to all the options I requested the 5 piece floor mats. The first offer on drive-out price they made me on the vehicle was $26500, I countered with $26100, they came back and split the difference at $26300 - then the wife factor occured (she said she wanted it) and since I felt good that we got a good deal I went ahead.

Sandy Springs Toyota was very easy to work with and we took delivery from them on Wednesday, January 26th. The finance guy we worked with was very good as well, not pushy, and provided no undue surprises.

So here are my recommendations for buying a 4 Runner:

1. Know what you want including options and aggresively shop it to all the dealerships in the area. You will identify the serious dealerships quickly.

2. Have your financing arranged before you start contacting dealerships. Credit unions currently have great rates.

3. Know the invoice cost of the vehicle, options, and holdback and start your negotiations from the invoice cost of the vehicle and options less the holdback (usually 2% of MSRP for Toyota) and less any rebates or marketing incentives. This information is available for free from Edmunds, and for a fee from Consumer Reports and I did purchase a 3 month subscription for $39 which I felt helped me drive a excellent deal. I found Consumer Reports information to be more accurate.

4. Don't go to the dealership (except to test drive the general make you are interested in at least 1 week before you begin the actual purchasing process) until you have a firm price from a dealer and they have faxed you a buyers order. In other words make them commit on paper before you go to do the deal. I did and it worked very well.

5. If you go into the dealership and something is not going per your predetermined agreement - leave. There are at least 2 other dealerships out there dying to have your business.

6. Watch out for extra fees (documentation and marketing). I simply ignored these and made them part of the price I was paying for the car.
  • nwbuyernwbuyer Member Posts: 1
    I am interested in buying a 2005 V6 4Runner Limited and am looking for the more cost competitive dealers in Western or Central Washington State. Do I need to look outside of the big cities to get the better pricing? Who are some of the more competitively priced Toyota dealers for 2005 4Runners right now?
  • pevepeve Member Posts: 1
    Dear E. Meadows,

I too live in the Atlanta area was impressed by the deal you recently earned on your new 4Runner. I've been considering the purchase of a good used 03-04 model in the low to mid $20K range, but seeing what you paid for an 05, I may pursue a new one.

Your homework and patience obviously paid off. Anyway, I hope to learn from your lessons. One thing I've always heard is that dealers typically make significant profit from the loan. You stated your dealer had a plan with your credit union and you got a good rate. I too use CU's and have saved tons of $$ over the years.

My question to you is, if you walk in with you own loan, aren't you going to see resistance to negotiate? I wonder if you could have obtained as good a deal if the dealer didn't have a plan prearranged with your CU. My CU, Associated CU, offers their tax saver loan, in which they use your home equity and the interest is tax deductible. I want to use this type loan, but not run into a wall when I try to low ball the dealer. Comments? Thank you. PE
    Since your question isn't specific to the 4Runner, you might get more feedback in our discussion called Questions About Financing New Vehicles.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• farmguy2001farmguy2001 Member Posts: 5
    I am looking for a 2005 SR5 4WD V8 in Gold with power moon roof and 17" wheels. I live about 90 miles N of Atlanta but can travel as needed to good dealer (e.g., one that will not play the usual back and forth to sales manager games).
  • netgeeknetgeek Member Posts: 1
    I live in the Boston area as well and I'm looking for the same SR5 configuration that you bought (the third row standard apparently). Do you mind sharing exactly how far over invoice you paid. I'll probably start playing the dealers off each other this afternoon ;-)

Thanks!