Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Frontier

Comments

• lilly2000lilly2000 Member Posts: 25
    <<hot air>>
    I have a 2000 cc, with no problem, yes.. the hot air is a problem,, but what i do, is move the air controller all the way to the right, so it would blow to the windshield. that works for me.
    TOO ALL 00, and 01 owner. Have you guys notice in the air intake, there is a block hose about 1 inch thick. has anyone notice this? Can that plug be remove to let more air in. with no problem?
  • daryl_jdaryl_j Member Posts: 13
    We have a 2001 CC too. My wife first noticed this on the passenger's side... heat coming from the floor. Well the vent happened to be set to the floor position. Only happens when the engine is hot (obviously). This may not be correct but I found that if I turn ON the "re circulate" button on the AC the air stops flowing through the vents. When the the re circulate button is OFF it allows fresh air to enter the vehicle but seems to pick up heat from the engine on the way in. I've read on a board somewhere else that a dealer acknowledged that there is a known problem with this.
  • steve262steve262 Member Posts: 2
    I also have a 00 crew cab 4x4 SE Auto with this annoying hot vent air problem. I have taken it to the dealer twice to have it checked on and the answer has always been -" we can't reproduce the problem" and/or they told me "You will only get cold air if you have the AC on!" I am an automotive engineer by profession and I know the difference between ambient vent air and heated vent air. I also know if I turn on the AC that air colder than ambient air should be the result. I have even volunteered to come down and demonstrate the problem but they were not interested. My passengers have repeatedly asked why I have the heat on at the times when this occurs. It also seems to be heat soak related as the temperature of the vent air becomes very hot after driving for a while then stopping for 10 to 20 minutes and then driving again. This is a drive cycle that happens when you go to a store or stop for a bite to eat on a long trip. Upon driving the vehicle after this pause, it takes up to 30 minutes to cool down to merely annoyingly warm temperatures. If the fan is left on from the beginning of the drive it seems to keep the mass of the HVAC system from heating up too much, but the vent air is still hot enough to be annoying. I am curious whether this is a design defect on all Frontier trucks or is it a problem that occurs randomly during assembly. During the winter it isn't much of a problem as the cold ambient air is able to cool the HVAC system to the point that it isn't noticeable and the heater is being used anyway. On hot summer days the AC is on and can overpower this effect, but it certainly isn't helping the efficiency of the HVAC system to have to fight air heated above ambient temperature to provide an adequate level of cooling. This does impact fuel efficiency by increasing the duty cycle of the AC compressor. I am interested in how many others have experienced this problem or had any success with a solution from the dealers or Nissan.
    p.s. I still like the truck very much - I would just like this annoyance fixed....
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    I had the same problem with my '89! Still, it was one of the best vehicles I've ever owned, and I just didn't let it bother me.
  • goobagooba Member Posts: 391
    I live where it gets up to 125F and when I use the a/c,I let it run until it starts to cool and then I switch it to recirculate.It works great in cooling the vehicle down.
    long time don't here from you!!
  • goobagooba Member Posts: 391
    I have been hanging around.I just did not see alot of topics to engage in.I jumped into this one because of the a/c problem.It makes me wonder why people have to qualify themselves as an engineer.They seem to think it matters and makes their statements carry more weight.It just puts them down a few rungs on the common sense ladder,as is shown by steve262.Why he chose not to read the manual that says to turn the a/c on and run it then put it to recirculate,I do not understand.Especially with his explanation of ambient temp,etc.
    Maybe this topic will light up once again.
  • finalfrontierfinalfrontier Member Posts: 1
    it has happened twice now on my '00 se 4x4 crew cab loose change from my pockets fall out and find their way into the slidding track of my seats and it causes the seats to get stuck in the way back position and will not slide forward unless the change is physically removed with a pair of pliers or twizzers I took the truck to the dealer and made an appointment to get it fixed but after finding the coins and removing them the appointment was not necessary the second time it happened I was in an accident and the truck was a total loss if anyone else has had this problem please contact me robertpmckay@hotmail.com
  • eric989901eric989901 Member Posts: 2
    I found out today the Khaki color for the XE crew cab has been discontinued and won't be back next year, according to a local dealer. I really wanted an XE CC 4WD auto in Khaki. If you have one congratulations as there were very few produced.
  • croy2croy2 Member Posts: 45
    Due to a growing family and new company car, I need to sell my beloved truck. It's a 2000 SE 2wd AT, power package, snuglid custom tonneau cover, bedliner, extender. All options except the roof rack and sunroof. The truck is in mint condition. $18,300. If anyone in So. California is interested, e-mail me at csr67@juno.com
  • steve262steve262 Member Posts: 2
    With all respect to Gooba I think he is missing the issue here - carefully reread the related postings. The problem of ambient ("ambient" is the air from outside the vehicle at outside air temperature) vent air being heated with the selector set on cold, has nothing to do with the Air Conditioner function. Yes I read my manual and I understand that putting the HVAC switch on Recirculate will give you colder air. The AC can also work well with outside air and many times this is preferable, especially with when the interior air is humid, stale, etc... The problem as related by the other postings has to do with running the fan with just ventilation air from outside the vehicle. We don't always need to run the AC, many times just ambient air with the fan on is all that is required for comfortable temperatures. My remark about my being an engineer is in response to Nissan service personnel who have responded to problems with their vehicles with nonsense, and accuse their customers of ignorance instead of admitting there is a problem. I think, in this case, there clearly is something different about this vehicle as evidenced by the number of others who have noticed this issue. I would be satisfied with an answer from the dealer that went something like - "Yes, we have had many complaints about this issue. Unfortunately there is no solution to it as it is a design issue with all of these vehicles". Instead, they tell me I don't understand how HVAC systems work or that I must be imagining the problem because they can't or won't take the time reproduce it. I don't believe the fact that I am an engineer who designs and builds transit vehicles (including the integration of HVAC systems) should put me "down a few rungs on the common sense ladder". It does make me naturally curious as to why the heated vent air problem occurs with this vehicle. I am interested in observations, opinions or experiences from anyone - it all adds to our common knowledge. I am looking into the problem and will share any solutions with the group that I might find. If anyone out there has learned anything, please post it for the rest of us.

p.s. I have no desire to engage in a "flaming" match with anyone. If my admission to being an engineer was seen as an attempt to intimidate anyone or intimate that my opinions "carry more weight" than those of others, I apologize....
  • croy2croy2 Member Posts: 45
    I too have noticed the "hot air" issue in my 2000 CC. This issue was discussed several months ago on the Yahoo Frontier clubhouse. The cause seems to be that the vent intake is routed too close to the catalytic converter, thus the heat exchange raising the temperature of ambient air. Basically a design fault, and one that Nissan probably will do nothing about. Just a minor inconvienence, but still a great truck.
  • jkidd2jkidd2 Member Posts: 218
    I have been waiting for the "hot air" thing to occur. If its doing it, I haven't noticed it....

No complaints from me so far....wish it had a coin holder and the cupholders were wider...that's about it, so far!
    JKIDD2 doesn't you cc has the removable cup holder is made out of rubber. just pull it off, and you will have bigger cup holders.. I have a 2k cc be
    Yeah, I did pull them out...it still wasn't wide enough...frankly, if this is all I have to complain about, I am happy!
  • soggydogsoggydog Member Posts: 67
    I have had my 01CC for about 8 monthe and 8K miles. Have been reading about the hot air through the vent/design flaw problem? Try as i may,I have not been able to detect this problem in my truck, but it could be just me not being sensitive enough. So I tried the ultimate test: The outside temp was 72, i set the fan switch to 3, AC switch off, REC switch off, Temp knob to full cold, Flow control knob to come out half between vent and floor. Took a ride with my wife in the truck. After 10 minutes she says; shut off that @#*#@ cold air... Makes me wonder if there is a mechanical problem like a door not closing all the way when the temp control selector is moved to full cold. Just a thought. I'm old enough to know what it's like to drive a vehicle in the south with no AC. All four windows down and the fan on high, not much help. in fact it's better not to have the fan on at all, just makes noise.
    JKIDD2, Your problem can be easylly fix, get smaller cup holders or custom your cup holders to your needs. Because no cuphloders would be good for you, even if you buy another truck. make sure your cup is design for car use not just home use
  • jsandyjsandy Member Posts: 7
    To Mark:

For several months (maybe a year) now, my seat has been stuck (00 Crew Cab). I was just about out of warrenty so I called the dealer and he said "it's coins stuck in the track, and it's not covered" he went on to say that they would charge $80 to fix it, but he said just take the seat out, and remove the coins, and that should be it. Anyway, I am OK with the seat where it is, but my son starts driving soon, and I'll need to get the change out for that.

Did you remove the seat, or could you get the coins out without removing the seat?
  • cb70cb70 Member Posts: 226
    starting to drive!
  • bmsorybmsory Member Posts: 17
    I own a 2001 Frontier Crewcab SE with 5 SP Manual.
    I put 1,700 miles on it now but I never exeprienced any hot air...Kind of surprise me when every body else has this problem...
    Not every one. I don't have it either.
  • gtpboygtpboy Member Posts: 4
    I have gotten an email from nissan about their 2002 line up of new vehicles and to my enjoyment nissan will be offering a long bed version of the CC that's 18" longer than the current version. It also goes into the full size, Xterra, Altima, Sentra SE-R and spec V, the new Z. The reason i bring this up is that nissan has redone the interior again and it looks awesone. The will also be a Rockford Fosgate sound system with 400 watts and 9 speakers. Please check out the new lineup and check out the longbed and check out the new altima thats hot too. I think nissan is out for blood next year

here's a hint ont the altima V-6 power!!!
    If you look @ the NissanDriven.com site, they have several photos of the new LB CrewCab, including its interior/dash. Looks good, but it wasn't enough to make me wait for the 2002.

Also, if your not aware of this, check out FreshAlloy.com., its a great Nissan site.

Here is one I like for Frontier fans:

http://www.nissanfrontier.net/
    I've been hearing a clicking, rattle type sound in the dash and sounds like its the air bag on the passenger side. Anyone else experience this? (2001 EX CC).
  • jvirginiajvirginia Member Posts: 65
    I had a similar noise on my '01 CC. The cruise control cable fasteners had broken and the cable was hitting and rattling against the firewall just on the other side of the passenger air bag location while driving. If you find the same condition, just secure the cable with new fasteners and the noise should disappear.
    I just finished washing my '01 CC for the first time and was surprised @ how hard it is to wash the roof thoroughly. Drying it off was next to impossible.

I have the Nakima bike rack attached to the roof rack and it really didn't get in the way, but between the rack and the front air deflector (if that what it is what it is?) I couldn't wipe off the moon roof @ all, nor dry underneath the deflector.

Has anyone come up with an easy way to clean this area?

Thanks.
  • whitewa327whitewa327 Member Posts: 2
    The dipstick on my 2000 Crew Cab sticks at the bottom. It feels like it's catching on something down there. I can jerk it a bit and it comes loose, but I'm afraid that over time, the end will break off and cause problems. Does anyone else have this problem/found a solution?

Thanks, Beck
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    That's caused by a Gremlin. Very dangerous. He's grabbing the dipstick to tease you into sticking your finger down there, then he bites it off. Happened to my Uncle Pete. I strongly suggest you dispose of the vehicle immediately. I'll be glad to take it off your hands for a modest Gremin-removal fee.
  • paulstew52paulstew52 Member Posts: 2
    Today in Phoenix it was 110 degrees. My trip home from the office (where my *black* 01CC is parked in the sun) is 3 miles. I get in my truck and turn the a/c on full blast. I had to turn it down before I pulled into the driveway. The a/c works in the CC better than any other vehicle I had owned.
  • paulstew52paulstew52 Member Posts: 2
    About a month ago, I saw a CC with a camper top that, at first glance, looked like a factory accessory. I got around to looking at the Nissan site and saw that they make no such thing. I guess what made me think the camper top was factory was that it had a rack on top of it that looked just like the rack on the cab. Anyway, I searched around the internet, looking for a camper top. I saw some by various manufacturers, but was wondering if any of y'all can recommend one. I wish I would have caught up with the person driving the CC I saw, to ask him (or her)! Thanks for any info you can provide!
  • mbatchelormbatchelor Member Posts: 27
    Snugtop makes the camper top. It's called the
    "XTR".
    Actually, I'm a little annoyed with my new CC. The A/C's lowest fan position is comparable to the medium fan speed in my other two cars. I am freezing my [non-permissible content removed] off and can't turn it down lower!
  • dbarnett13dbarnett13 Member Posts: 5
    I have narrowed my choice to the Frontier CC or the Tacoma CC, and wanted to get more information on how much the extra long bed would be. I hope it won't be unreasonable, it sounds like a great idea!

Sincerely,

Dan - San Diego
    I don't think the pricing on the long bed CC has been released yet....@ least, I have not seen anything on it.

You have narrowed your choices down to the same two that I narrowed my search down to. I went with the Nissan. No regrets so far!
  • stepp1stepp1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 01 CC that is a very smooth ride, however sometimes when I am idling at a
    red light or stop sign, the engine shakes for a second (almost like it will stall out)
    and then corrects itslef. The dealer has checked the idle and the timing and
    said everything is fine. Is this normal for these trucks?
  • bmsorybmsory Member Posts: 17
    I have 2001 Frontier CC with 5Sp Manual. I put
    2,500 miles on it now, and I don't have that problem I believe there's something wrong with your car. BM
    I love my new CC, but am wondering if anyone else has this annoyance? The interior of my CC is dead silent except the rear seat shoulder belt hooks (when not in use) knock against the door seal. Unless I am on a smooth surface, there is a constant...low "knock". It is driving me crazy! I keep trying to position them where they won't hit, but they eventually slip off and start the pinging again.
  • btate2002btate2002 Member Posts: 64
    I am gonna be in the market for a new truck here in a few months and ordered brochures for all the trucks I am interested in (S-10, Tacoma, B-Series, and Frontier) I got all of them, and with the Frontier one, I got a CD! I have just about decided to get a Nissan, I just am not sure wether I want a Crew Cab or Desert Runner!
  • equimanequiman Member Posts: 12
    jkidd2, I also get a rattle from the seat belts, but it is the front ones when not in use that rattle against the side of the cab. Also, my sliding glass window has an annoying little rattle that comes and goes. Other than that and the hot air coming out when the fan only is blowing (not when the AC is on), I am very satisfied with the CC.
    Please don't get me wrong, I am happy with my CC too. I love it. I just can't stand rattles. Even though these rattles are not due to loose parts or a quality thing...its just annoying. Last night I took the belts and hooked them to their attachments....its stopped the knocking, but I hate the way it looks! Only other thing I would change on my CC is the horn. Rather "mousy" sounding for such a butch truck don't you think?
  • btate2002btate2002 Member Posts: 64
    Hey, What is your biggest complaint about your CC. I may end up with one, and I wondering what you don't like!
    I've only had mine since late April. Put a little over 1k on it so far.

I love it. I don't have really anything negative to say.....only 2 annoyances to pop up so far and they are trivial...the horn is mousy sounding and the unused seat belts periodically knock on the side walls causing an annoying knock.

Get one...you'll love it!
  • yellowdryellowdr Member Posts: 41
    I live in the Northeast and I have a Jeep Cherokee Sport for a 4x4. That helped me decide to get the Desert Runner...after much research. I traded an '87' nissan 2 wheel drive.

I could not see paying the money to carry the 4x4 extra equipment on 2 vehicles. I have had the Runner for 6 weeks and love it. I found a 5 speed with cruise (other nice options too) and get 20 plus MPG back and forth to work and over 22 on the road so far.

Higher clearance made the trips on the trails to get to turkey hunting spots this spring much more comfortable.

I do not know what will happen in the snow (wish I could have found a model with limited slip) but up here a DR is harder to come by since the dealers consider this area 4x4 sales country.

If you need a 4x4 and own a single vehicle, nissan is a good value. When shopping, I found the True Market Value of Toyota to be about $100 more than the nissan comparably loaded. BUT the dealer price was about $6000 more than the Nissan. When I asked why this was the case, their response was "This is a Toyota".

Both vehicles are good in my opinion. An S-10 comparably priced, I couldn't touch but still consider a good vehicle.

Nissan had the best bargain in my experience.

Good Luck
    This is a follow up to post #525. Took my 2001 XE CC in for its first 3750 mile oil change and the dealer fixed the rattle I heard behind the dash. An A/C related part was hitting the firewall. They also lubed the turn stop that made a clunk noise occasionally when moving forward from a stopped position on initial startup. Now there is one more little noise to check out next oil change. Sounds like a heat sheild is vibrating (bzzzzzz) at certain rpms. goes away when the truck heats up though. I am loving this truck! Now getting about 18.2 MPG.
  • akgakg Member Posts: 85
    I just purchased a 2000 Crew Cab with 8500 miles and the dealer offered me a warranty for $1200. It was a 100,000/6 year $50 deductable. He wouldn't budge when I tried to offer him less. I know that I can get a warranty at any time before it reaches 36K, but any suggestions on who to go to for the best deal, best warranty? Thanks!!!
  • akgakg Member Posts: 85
    I have been checking around and I found warrantybytel which quoted me around $1100 for a zero deductable covers just about everything 100,000/6 year warranty. Will any decent auto repair place except this kind of warranty(especially the Nissan dealership)? Any other suggestions?
  • miavitomiavito Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 CC 4wd xe. runs great! I have 6000 miles on it. Since new, while running, the engine has a terrible rotten egg smell. Dealer said to put in premium gas. I have been running 93 octane ever since but still smell rotten eggs. Has anyone else experienced this?
  • crf59crf59 Member Posts: 1
    The smell you are encountering is probably catalytic converter by-product (sulfur) and is perfectly normal. It will decrease as the truck ages. IF this is occurring while you are at a stop or idling in your driveway, there is no problem and no remedy. If this is happening while you are at highway speeds, you may have an exhaust leak and need to have this checked right away.
  • gbbgbb Member Posts: 2
    In response to message #546. I was able to get a 5/100,000 for $750 ($50 ded) at Empire Nissan(LA dealer). I bought a used 97 GMC safari that I bought an extended warranty program through the internet. It also cost me $750, paid over 1 year with no interest. It was accepted at my dealer with no problems during a recent trip that saved me $600 for the cost of a power steering pump. Here is the link http://www.geautowarranty.com.
  • eb1012eb1012 Member Posts: 1
    I have now 16,000 miles on the truck and in one year i have my drive shaft replaced twice, air vent circulation problem, always in for mounting braket problems, and now the head blew and is being replaced now. This truck has nothing but a problem. So is it a lemon, I would think so.
This discussion has been closed.