Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

New S40/V50

Comments

• volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    The convertible C50 is approx 1 yr away.
    It will feature a retracting hardtop.
    So it will look like a coupe with the roof up.

No word on whether or not we will recieve a fixed roof car as well.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933
    the V50 ain't a coupe.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• lev_berkovichlev_berkovich Member Posts: 858
    I know, I know,
    Couple of things:
    #1. I swear, I saw a reference to V50 in the original message, and when I was looking, I was thinking that V usually stands for the wagon. But,
    #2. The movie looked cool, and I decided to post those links regardless of my doubts.
  • josh684josh684 Member Posts: 55
    Is there any free serivce for volvo 3 years/36k? Free oil changes or something of that sort? Also, I was wondering....Are EPA MPG, do that figure in Premium Fuel?

Thanks
    Josh
  • josh684josh684 Member Posts: 55
    Inside the gas tank, its list what my tires should be inflated to. Its says 36 PSI, if I am carrying 5 people....30 PSI if i normally only ride with 3. What advantage do I get when tires are inflated only to 30 PSI?
    Softer ride and more even wear.
  • creakid1creakid1 Member Posts: 2,032
    "What advantage do I get when tires are inflated only to 30 PSI?"

Larger foot-print during braking.

Since I corner a lot, my tire wear tend to be more on the outer side. So I usually inflate to 44 psi, as the tires will lose pressure gradually anyway. Then flip inside out during mid life to even out the wear, as most radial tires today allow that.
    "Is there any free serivce for volvo 3 years/36k?"

I believe so.

"Free oil changes or something of that sort?"

Only every..., not every 3 months or 3k mi.

"Also, I was wondering....Are EPA MPG, do that figure in Premium Fuel?"

If the tags on the car sez premium unleaded required, then yes.
  • capriracercapriracer Member Posts: 907
    Here's what you give up!

Fuel economy, wet traction, snow traction, steering crispness, and tire durability.

I think it is better to always use the higher value. Then you'll never overload your tires.

Hope this helps.
    For our education can you elaborate a bit? It would be really interesting to learn more details about the process.
    My understanding of tire mechanics is that you need the "optimal" size of contact patch. Therefore tire manufacturers provide several sets of recommended pressures for the different load conditions, that will allow for that optimum and do not advise both - over pressure and under pressure.

Also my understanding is that you trade fuel economy and "crispness" of steering for safety, and I am not sure of how the slightly bigger (and actually optimal, recommended) contact patch can reduce the wet and snow traction. My understanding is that it is other way around.

I would appreciate if you can provide the links to some info. My knowledge is based on some internet reading and on what I have learned when I was 17 - almost 30 years ago, The technology could change...
     Besides the leather & moonroof, it adds to the 2.4i:

1)one power seat(driver) w/ no more adjustment than the manual driver seat

2)auto climate control(still no charcoal)

3)Audio Control in Steering Wheel(suppose to worth $50, as this is how much it deducts off the premium sound option on the T-5 which already has the A.C. in Steering Wheel std )

4)leather shift knob

5)Wood trim(still fake)

So are these worth much?

while adds to the T-5:

1)one power seat(passenger) w/ more adjustment including cushion height & tilt plus manual lumbar.

2)Memory Function for Driver's (already pwr)Seat and Exterior Mirrors

The above is worth more!

The BMW 325i, which doesn't have std pwr driver seat to begin with, charges $995 for a similar "pwr-seats w/ memory" package but only adds the cushion-tilt-adjustment feature for both seats, while its weak lumbar support remains non-adjustable for both seats!

Sometimes these European cars are black mailing us rich Americans by keeping these nice features on the high-end models only, as the foreign-spec cars don't got this kind of B.S.

For example, the new Honda Accord has good driving position even w/o the cushion-tilt from the optional power seat. & its lumbar support, even w/o adjustment, already provide very good support! Wonder why it sells better?
  • capriracercapriracer Member Posts: 907
    Elaborate? You bet!

What you are actually referring to when you talk about different pressures for different load conditions is "The Load Table". This is based on a complex formula that in theory gives you the same deflection, and again in theory, the same footprint. However, the footprint pressure distribution is different because the load is different.

So what happens when you use something different than that? Let's assume a higher pressure.

A higher pressure results in a slightly stiffer tire, and less deflection. Since deflection results in internal friction, which consumes energy, higher pressure = better fuel economy.

Stiffer tire = less sideways deflection as well, so the steering becomes a little more responsive.

Hydroplaning resistance is a function of how effectively the tire penetrates thru the film of water. A higher pressure, with its smaller footprint, results in better penetration. This is also true for wet traction and snow traction as penetrating to the road surface always results in a better friction than riding on the film of water or snow.

Loss of dry traction? Sure, but you've got gobs of that compared to wet traction and you don't want to be changing your inflation pressure every time it rains (which is what those of us who race in the rain do).

And my favorite subject - tire durability.

Higher inflation pressures result in lower operating temperatures. Heat is the tire killer and anything you do to reduce the operating temperature will result in better durability.

Because you have a stiffer tire, you'll also get less squirm as the tire goes thru the footprint, and therefore less wear. Even though the footprint is less than optimal, the rate of wear slows down faster than the change in footprint changes the wear pattern. Therefore, the overall wear life is also extended.

IMHO, increased inflation pressures have a better overall safety postion and you get some added benefits with very little negative.

Hope this helps.
    Thank you very much, Barry
    The firdt 4 sched services are free.
    Includes oil changes.
    Services must be completed within 3 yrs or 36,000 miles
    Motor Trend just did an interesting article on this subject:
    http://www.motortrend.com/features/consumer/112_0405_tires/index1- .html

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

So I went to the auto show this past weekend and finally got to see the new vehicles in person and crawl around them.

I gotta say, unfortunately, that I was disappointed. My sister said "well, what did you expect for the price??!" And, I guess she's right. I was just hoping that it would still feel like my S70. But, it doesn't. I felt like I was in a different brand of car (cheaper) completely. I'm not saying its a bad car or anything like that, just not what I'm looking for.

It was also quite a bit smaller on the inside than all the reviews and comments had me believe. Folks can preach all they want that its almost as big as the S60 on the inside. I didn't get that feeling at all. Definitely felt like a compact car to me.

The S60R on the other hand .... :)

• benjaminsbenjamins Member Posts: 56
    So I went to the auto show this past weekend and finally got to see the new vehicles in person and crawl around them.

I gotta say, unfortunately, that I was disappointed. My sister said "well, what did you expect for the price??!" And, I guess she's right. I was just hoping that it would still feel like my S70. But, it doesn't. I felt like I was in a different brand of car (cheaper) completely. I'm not saying its a bad car or anything like that, just not what I'm looking for.

It was also quite a bit smaller on the inside than all the reviews and comments had me believe. Folks can preach all they want that its almost as big as the S60 on the inside. I didn't get that feeling at all. Definitely felt like a compact car to me.

The S60R on the other hand .... :)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------ -------

Exactly what I thought. I don't think it helped that all of the interiors were grey. No contrast. Maybe the interior needs contrasting colors to really pop. I don't know. But coming out of the cx90, s80, and v70, the car felt cheaper and not in the same league. Unlike the Audi A4, Mercedes C, BMW 3, it doesn't feel like a small premium sedan or decontented version of the larger cars. It feels like an economy car. It doesn't feel as nice as the Honda Accord and I see no compelling reason, outside of any enthusiasts reasons, but none for most car buyers who aren't going to test cars at the limits and buy cars for room, comfort ,and utility with some measure of enjoyability to drive--it doesn't measure up. The interior isn't that appealing, nor is it very large inside. The seats aren't unbelieveably comfortable as the larger cars, just comfortable. The door panels are flat and plain. The console, while nice, isn't that distinctive. There's a lack of heft in the shifter and other areas of the car that is present in the other Volvos. It isn't close to being in the same realm as the s60, feels considerably downmarket from the s60 at least in terms of its interior. As far as the exterior goes, looks like a current design Volvo, but doesn't look as striking (or hefty) to my eyes as the s60 or as balanced as the s60 and xc90.

The R is lovely. Interior fit and finish, and much of the materials, as good as BMW. The back space is unacceptable. The next s60 needs to have more legroom and headroom in its rear seats. I wouldn't buy an s60 because of the limited rear space (I care about the comfort of my back seat passengers).

The xc90 is marvelous as well. Like it better than VW Taureg. More comfortable seats, more open, although not as ostensibly rich inside, interior makes sense and is well finished. 3rd row of seats have limited space. Fine SUV (but I wouldn't buy one due to its, I feel, excessive size).
    "I was just hoping that it would still feel like my S70."

You know, I'm not that sure it feels better inside than the old s40. At least the old s40 had nice door panels and used much of the materials of the s70. The new s40 seems to use its own materials, and I don't find them convincing. At least not in grey. I like the padded dash, I wish there was a bit more to it. The console may work well, I'll have to see at the Volvo event . The doors slammed OK, better than the old s40. But the car seem kind of empty inside, not just clean and understated, but missing something.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I'm scheduled for the DC event this Saturday, any suggestions? In other words, what to drive first, which lines are shorter, etc.

-juice
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    juice - I did the Boston event about 3 weeks ago. The lines were longest for T5 6 speed but never any longer than 2-3 minutes. I drove the S40i first as that line seemed shortest. If the setup is anything like Boston, you'll never really get out of 2nd gear - but there's lots of fun to be had in 2nd gear.

Take a moment to check out the teak lined porta-potties!!
    That's a must-see.

How's the food at the event? I'll be there around lunch time.

-juice
    Start w/ 16" 2.4i 1st, otherwise you might skid it out if you start w/ the 17" T-5.

Stick has short line & no waiting.

Time is limited, so be there early to watch the presentation & even video tape their comparison speech to see if it intrigues you in anyway.

Play with the seat/steering adjusters in the 2.4i indoor, so you can immediately tailor the car once you're on the track.

& watch the interesting climate control switches on the T-5. It seems to have the blue/red temperature button on both sides. & tell us about it.
    Seats - good suggestion.

Dual-zone setup? I'll look out for that.

-juice
    but ours uses only the right knob to adjust the temperature for both sides. I'm just wondering, since the left knob is also taken by the temp function, how do you adjust the fan speed. Just curious.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    The food was disappointing compared to the Fire and Ice event from 2 years ago. Little finger sandwiches (iirc roast beef with apple mayo was one) with salad and brownies. The presentation was a little long - run by a guy from AMCI. They brought in a TSX, 330, and A4 onto the stage for comparison. MC then introduced the obligatory cliche: a cute pig-tailed blond woman who works at the OSD center in Gothesburg.

We used the dual zone and bun warmers in Boston as it was overcast, about 38 degrees, with a stiff breeze. All the Volvo folks were freezing!!
    Fire & Ice was cool, I caught that one also.

Hope our weather is better!

-juice
    “I gotta say, unfortunately, that I was disappointed. My sister said "well, what did you expect for the price??!"”

The price? The 2.4i already costs way more than the smooth-revving TSX when similarly equipped, & the T-5's near the 325i category. The 5-cyl 2.4i can't compete w/ the smooth-inline-6 325i 'cause it revs louder than the Mazda 3S's Mazda-developed Duratec 4-cyl!

Around here, we're having $6k discount on the S60 these days, so when do I begin to see the $6k discount on the new S40? ;-) Can't wait!

I'm sure all the conspiracy of keeping the back seat small in the S40/60 is to protect the rip-off S80. You lucky 850/S70 or even 240 DL owners got away with this b/c the S80 wasn't introduced yet.

I'm sure the better-dynamic new S40 has to come w/ a cheaper-looking & even dorky-styling interior to save rest of the Volvo line up.

Isn't it already a pain in the butt that the S40 2.4i equipped w/ the optional Sport Package still doesn't include the leather shifter just b/c this car is not the upper-trim T-5? While the Mazda3 requires the top-trim 2.3 S to let you have the std leather shifter, at least it's still a relatively inexpensive car & the steering-wheel audio control is already on almost every single Mazda3.
    A shift knob is a $40 accessory.

But don't hold back, tell us how you really feel. ;-)

-juice
  • socal007socal007 Member Posts: 23
    Volvomax,
    Spent some of my time today searching for info re: my original question, this is what I found.
    I liked the last sentence in the c/c article.
    "It is expected that Volvo will introduce the new C50 this summer,possibly along w/ a convertible model".
    Any comments ?

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=6940&sid=17- 8&n=158

http://www.swedespeed.com/gallery/gallery2.php?mode=album&alb- um=/Concept%20Cars/SCC
  • larscalarsca Member Posts: 60
    From what I heard, the C50 is now being called C70, and it's a hard top convertible that will go on sale in Europe in August and end up in the U.S. any time between Sep-Nov.

But don't take my word for it, because I've been wrong before (many times actually)!
    Creak, I don't think the s80 is a rip-off (although it is an aging design). It just happens to be roomy. It's fairly understated as well, has a nice 6, decent handling, fine ride quality, and finally the electronic bugs seems to be worked out. The v70 has acceptable room, and the xc90, though large, feels large inside compared to the Taureg.

As values the s60, v70, and xc90 are pretty solid, and no Volvo is really extravagant in the interior, though most of the features are there.

I think the designers of the s40 may have went to a too simple interior to the point of feeling beyond stark. I don't think it is dorky, it's pretty advanced and clean, but lacks the minimalist but still quality feel of the newer BMWs. It does feel a higher level car than the Mazda 3, but coming out of the similarly priced TSX, a car that it really competes with on a dynamic level, the interior appointments, even for Volvo, may not have just enough obvious quality for potential buyers to perceive that they are in the same price class. Also, any idea that it is a substitute as an overall car in terms of comfort, appointments, and a sense of heft to the s60 should be thrown out the window. It may be better dynamically than the s60, but it doesn't feel like it is in the same price class.

I've not seen the interior of the s40 in beige, I hear it works better in that color. Hopefully I'll get to see one in beige at the driving event and have more positive feedback regarding the s40/v50 interior.
    Creak - I didn't get to see a loaded up model, so the price of what I was looking at was well below that of a TSX. And since TSX doesn't come stripped down, its not comparable to someone who doesn't want all that.

And why are you comparing the T5's price to the 325, but then comparing the 2.4i engine to the 325?? That's the same as me saying the 330 price is WAY above the T5 but the 325's power doesn't compare.

It would appear that Volvo has settled on the C70 name for the next convertible.
    A retracting hardtop 4 seat convertible based on the P1 will debut by the end of the year.
    Expect US versions by spring.
    No word on a fixed roof coupe version.
    "Creak - I didn't get to see a loaded up model, so the price of what I was looking at was well below that of a TSX. And since TSX doesn't come stripped down, its not comparable to someone who doesn't want all that."

Anyway, let's see what happens if they're both similar equipped.

$26995 TSX auto w/ everything including metallic paint

$24875 S40 2.4i auto
        2295 premium pack: leather, moonroof, pwr seat, etc.
          895 audio pack(not including the $1100 subwoofer)
          750 sport pack: fog lights, etc.(not including 17"s)
          700 bi-xenon
          695 DTSC
          625 climate pack: heated seats, headlight washer, etc.
          490 convenience pack: dimming mirror w/ compass, homelink, etc.
          450 metallic paint
    ______
    $31775

The TSX may only got low-beam xenon, no fog lights, no headlight washer & no compass, but it's almost 5K less & riding on 17"s!

So the TSX buyers might as well cross shop w/ the noisier Mazda3(the '05 might offer Bose, DSC & pollen filter), which doesn't have dual-zone auto-climate w/ pollen filter or 8-way power driver seat but is about $5k less than the TSX.

Both the 2.4i & TSX still lack charcoal filter in the climate control, memory driver seat & multiple-adjustment passenger seat, which keeps the right-side rear leg room cramped.

Rear-seat room wise, the expensive S40 2.4i combined the worst of both world -- headroom of the Mazda3 sedan & legroom no better than the TSX.

"And why are you comparing the T5's price to the 325, but then comparing the 2.4i engine to the 325?? That's the same as me saying the 330 price is WAY above the T5 but the 325's power doesn't compare."

Turbo's extra power, even w/ light-pressure set up, is not always usable. Several posts back, I concluded that you need to keep in the vacumn(off boost) mode if you want to fine tune the cornering line. So using lower gears w/o full throttle means not taking the advantage of the boosted power. A n.a. engine doesn't have the problem of "after shock" coming out after stepping on the throttle, so you can go ahead & floor it any time including when fine-tuning the corner.

I was saying the luxury of 325i's quiet powerplant cannot be substituted by the 2.4i, which howls loudly as I full-throttled it onto the fwy. & besides, the 325i tend to churn out amazingly good acceleration #s.

& I'm pretty sure the 330i's n.a. power is way more responsive than the T-5.
    "Creak, I don't think the s80 is a rip-off (although it is an aging design)."

Talk about aging design, what happen to the good old AFFORDABLE 200 series that has small-car turning-circle of 32.2 ft while providing excess leg room on the right side so you can feel like a boss crossing your legs in the back seat? It doesn't even ride uncomfortably over bumps the way the 850/S70 does!

"I think the designers of the s40 may have went to a too simple interior to the point of feeling beyond stark. I don't think it is dorky..."

I think the the shape of the steering spokes/switches & the dashboard especially the lower half(i.e., the glove compartment portion) looks dorky rather than handsome, as compare to the Mazda3. The door panels lack the vertical/diagonal grab handle as seen in typical Euro cars even the 760 had it.

"Also, any idea that it is a substitute as an overall car in terms of comfort, appointments, and a sense of heft to the s60 should be thrown out the window."

I agree on this one. Even the S60's manual passenger seat has multiple adjustment besides the already couch-size support. But nevertheless, comparing to other cars shorter than 180" long, the S40 still got the best front seats, at least feel more right than the 3-series. & besides, the S60 does not have the new S40's wonderfully-high door armrest to support the driver's elbow while driving.

"I've not seen the interior of the s40 in beige, I hear it works better in that color. Hopefully I'll get to see one in beige at the driving event and have more positive feedback regarding the s40/v50 interior."

You bet! They purposely only display the beige interior w/ T-tech fabric, which has a 2-tone shade, to decorate the mono-tone interior, which isn't so beige at all & more like some kind of light stone grey -- quite a classic! After all, it's still a Volvo -- the maker of the superb-interior 850.
    there was no need to go through all the pricing trouble. Nobody contested the fact that the S40, similarly equipped, is more expensive than the TSX. It was already obvious.

Again, though, I'm not sure why you compare the T5 price to the 325 but the 2.4's power to it. Obviously, if you want to compare the price of the T5 to the 325, then you have to compare those 2 engines... turbo or not. Once all the performance numbers are available here in in the States, that is. My money is on the T5 to handily beat out the 325 in performance AND price. Whether or not you like a turbo engine is completely subjective. I don't mind mine at all. I am used to it and can anticipate what it will do. Its all part of knowing your car and being a good driver.

• suavechavosuavechavo Member Posts: 39
    I actually like the way it looks, as compared to the previous model. But, here too there are huge discounts for the 2004 models, some up to $7.5K!

Anyway, I'm looking to get a base 2.4i w/ a 5 spd. According to the sticker they start ~ $22,9K. Now in a year or so maybe w/ the discount, I'll be able to get one under $20K, if the manual makes it here by then.
    sticker for ~$22,9K??
    Nope.
    Add $2K to that, then add destination.

• wblake99wblake99 Member Posts: 18
    I purchased one to replace my wife's 2002 two weeks ago tonight.

We got a T5 loaded up and dealer gave us invoice price. They only had the fully loaded one and a bunch with premium and audio packages only. She wanted the convenience and the climate package for sure, didn't care about the leather or sunroof and did not want the audio package. We had X-plan going for us and they offered a $2400 cash offer on a lease.

I told the sales manager that if he could get us into the loaded one for the same monthly as what she wanted we would take it. Basically he gave us the premium, audio and nav package for free on our 3 yr lease.

We are VERY happy with the car. It has absolutely nothing in common with the 2002 except the name plates. This car is so much fun to drive and rides wonderfully (no sport package). The old car felt so small and rode like it. The 2004.5 feels much bigger inside and the road attitude is much like the Lincoln LS we had before.

There has been talk about a 'cheap' interior. I don't see that at all. For a car in this price range I think Volvo is right in line. I'm also baffled that someone would make a decision on what car to buy based upon an air filter. We had one on our Mystique and the LS and I could not tell any difference.

Anyway, we love it and I welcome any questions.
  • carman123carman123 Member Posts: 71
    I drove 3 versions of the S40 today: 2.4i with sport package, T5 with base suspension, and T5 with sport package. The sport suspensions in both were very firm, almost to the point of being harsh. BMW 3 series and Infiniti G35 with sport package both ride better. The gain in handling with the S40 sport suspension is not nearly enough to accept the noticeably harsher ride. Also, I felt the 2.4i engine was loud and not as smooth as it should be for the price. The T5 engine was more relaxed, refined and quiet. For my money, the T5 with base suspension is the way to go. I will wait for the AWD to reduce torque steer. I currently drive a mercedes C320, so I am accustomed to not having torque steer. I also will be giving the 2005 Subaru Legacy GT a good look. The Legacy may be more car for the money given its larger size, more powerful engine, and standard AWD.
  • suavechavosuavechavo Member Posts: 39
    The cars I saw , 2.4i, had the base price (list P.O.E) at $22,9, then of course listed the options that the cars had. I know that the early cars are auto only, and it was listed as an option for $1200. The car I was thinking of would be a base model s40 w/ a manual tranny w/ no options. The only add on would be the destination charge of $685. So the price would be ~$23,650.

I've seen a couple of s60s this way. No options. The stickers list them ~$27K, including dest. I like the manual tranny, but the cloth interior sucks.

So wblake, what color do you all choose? Also, is the keypad used as part of the nav system or mobile phone set up? How do you like the "waterfall" like console? My sister was very impressed w/ the car. I think that the current gas prices in L.A. may be getting to her given the length of her commute each day. Plus her Pilot doesn't have a sunroof, an option she really wanted.
  • wblake99wblake99 Member Posts: 18
    We got black exterior with the black interior. That is what we had before and although not our first choice, it looks very nice. We go to Ziebart for tinting next week!

On our car the number pad does not have the telephone setup on it. I'm not sure that is an available option at this point. You have to use either the joystick on the back of the steering wheel or the remote to go through the nav system. It seems a little daunting at first, but becomes natural very fast. The system is extremely intuitive in that it reduces your options the further you type and skips the letters you cannot choose. For example, when you are entering an address it asks for either the zip or the state. If you put in the zip it gives you the choices available for that zip and you select. If you put in the state (type it in or select from a list) it then shows cities and a 'keyboard'. As you select the letters it reduces the list to only what is available (like only those that start with A). The only letters available at this point are the ones that are in a city name starting with A. If you choose B then the list only shows cities AB... and all letters that aren't a valid choice, like X, are grayed out and skipped over. It allows you to move quickly through. It does the same for streets. You can store up to 250 locations and give them names and icons for easy reference.

I really like the console although the dealer ordered all with the "wood" panels. They have ordered the chrome and are installing them free of charge for us. We had the chrome in the 2002 and never saw another one with it. On the new car the chrome just fits the design better I feel.

On the sport package I also think that it makes you give up too much ride quality. We drove a 40 and a 60 with the sport package and they felt almost out of control over the pothole laden Cleveland roads. The T5 with base suspension handles most everything with a what else you got attitude. The 60 w/sport seemed confused by the road imperfections and wanted to keep talking about them and then was not ready for the next one. IMO the 17" wheels create too short a sidewall and that takes away too much spring action.

Someone asked about the auto temp controls. On our car the left knob is only for the fan speed with a button in the middle to turn on auto mode. The right knob is used to set the temp with a button in the middle to set left or right sides or both at the same time.
    "T5 with base suspension handles most everything with a WHAT ELSE YOU GOT ATTITUDE. The 60 w/sport seemed confused by the road imperfections and wanted to keep talking about them and then was not ready for the next one."

That was a good one. Heard that, everyone? Stop being macho by going for the hardest, such as turning it into a "low rider". Your girlfriend w/ a sense of intelligence will not be impressed. ;-) A harder ride or more inches of wheels don't mean real masculinity.
    Now we have concluded that the ride comfort of the new S40's sport suspension is pretty out of shape, so there's no doubt it can be even worse than the TSX at times.
    venus537 Apr 2, 2004 8:12pm
  • larscalarsca Member Posts: 60
    Just wanted to say I saw a V50 on a parking lot today. It was a Swedish spec model (Swedish license plate and so on), so I'm not sure what was base and what was optional equipment on it.

First impression of the V50, just by walking around it, had me positively surprised. I love the S40's front, but I have always thought the back looks a little too swollen. The V50 has the S40's front facia, and the rest of the car looks more proportionate with its cargo space.

I'd also read/heard people talking about how small the car is, but when seeing it in real life I'm not sure I agree. Yeah, it's not the V70, but it's not necessarily a small car.

The ignition on this car looked like some sort of test of a key-less version that may or may not make it to production cars. It could also have been something else, but that's what it looked like to me.

Having driven the S40, I assume the V50 will handle, behave, and feel the same so my conclusion is that the V50 is one heck of a car.

I was, and maybe still is, all into getting a V70 (R if I can afford it), but looking at the new V50 makes me think the V70 looks VERY dated. Hmm, decisions decisions...

Oh, this was a T5 by the way.
  • mazda6smazda6s Member Posts: 1,901
    Does anyone know who makes the engine and tranny in the new (2004.5 & 2005) S40 and V50? I suspect the 2.4L 5cyl is pure Volvo, but what about the tranny?
    5 speed is an evolution on the Aisin Warner gearboxes used in the other Volvo's.
    Volvo design, manufactured by A-W.

The 6 speed in the T5 is a Getrag unit.
    They held the "Volvo for Life" event in DC this weekend, so I finally got to try one out.

This will be a half empty/half full review, so you'll take what you want from my impressions.

The half empty part? Well, the carpets in the trunk are cut off, unfinished. The carpets themselves felt a bit thin. The A-pillar has a fabric lining but it's not padded. The seat fabric felt sort of cheap, but at least they looked durable. The plastics on the lower half of the dash and center console felt hard and sounded hollow.

Head room was tight, the back of my head rubbed in the sedan (wagon was better). Leg room was adequate, but the hump was kind of big for a FWD car.

The half full part? Well, styling is nice, and it looks even better in person, thoroughly modern. Door sill protectors, gas struts to hold the hood open, and a multi-link hinge for the open-wide trunk are nice touches. The seats are comfortable and have lots of adjustments, too.

The base model leaned a bit much, and tire noise was prevalent as it squeeled in protest to hard driving, but the T5 model handled very well, with less understeer and lean.

Steering was a little light, but effective. The manual trannies were good but the clutch take-up was a little abrupt. In fairness these cars were worn after 8 cities' worth of sampling by crazy people like us. :o)

Didn't get much of a chance to test the brakes but they felt linear and natural, unlike Mercedes by-wire artificial feedback.

Geartronic held a gear nicely, but shifts were a little slow in full auto and manual mode. Plan ahead for shifts. The slush box also sapped some useful power from both models, IMO.

Overall a mixed bag, some parts good, others less so. If the things I mention above don't bother you, and you like the style and the appeal of a safely built vehicle, I doubt you'll have any regrets.

Me? I'd like to sample a V50 T5 with AWD, that would be the ideal setup.

-juice
  • mazda6smazda6s Member Posts: 1,901
    Does anyone have an idea about base pricing on the T5 6-speed?
    They listed the Geartronic as standard on the poster there, and the 6 speed as an option. Not sure if the price is the same, or more, or perhaps less.

-juice
This discussion has been closed.