Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Frontier

Comments

• saddaddysaddaddy Member Posts: 566
    Thats all I have to say about the Nissans.
  • tbundertbunder Member Posts: 580
    you're welcome to your opinions. but you gotta admit, the rest of the compacts are just re-ran trucks with a different front-end. all of them. nissan revolutionized the compact truck with the '01 frontiers, they don't look like a toyota of ford with a different front end than last years. they're tonka like, and thats cool imo.
  • jkidd2jkidd2 Member Posts: 218
    If your comments are true, you should have forced Nissan to buy your CC back. There was a guy over in the Infiniti QX4 thread who got a lemon and he provided a very detailed history of his troubles and was eventually successful in getting Nissan to purchase his SUV back. You took the easy way out and dropped a lemon on somebody else.

As far as my Nissan CC goes, its been perfect. No problems at all. Have 6500 miles on it. I LOVE it!
  • deljo01deljo01 Member Posts: 2
    Wrong across the board... I tried the lemon law route but I guess you haven't really looked at it. If you would, depending on state, you must meet their criteria. As far as the repairs...WRONG! I have all the work orders plus the corp office has it on record. Since the battery was dead the rear def caused too much drain on the elect system. I see that the back seat drivers are reading and putting two and two together. No I am not bitter I communicated the results that I experienced.
  • oreokeoreoke Member Posts: 14
    Hi all,
    My fiancee and I are on the hunt for a smallish truck and, to date, we've driven the Nissan Frontier and the Dodge Dakota-both of the four-door variety. They are similarly priced here in Oklahoma City, but there's just something about the Nissan that rings my bell. It feels more solid, I guess. We tried the short-bed first, but the LB rode SO much better there was no turning back to the shorty, even though she thought it was cuter. :)
    Can anyone give me any of their opinions on a comparison between the Dakota and the Frontier? I'd appreciate it.

O-O
  • enfurioenfurio Member Posts: 33
    Oreoke:

The Nissan board here is kinda quiet, I'm not sure if they are someplace else or just very content with their purchases!

I was in the same dilemma this spring but opted for the Dakota Quad Cab. It is bigger, has more horsepower & torque and looks better (in my opinion). I couldn't even sit in the rear seat on the Nissan (6'1", 250 lbs.) but you may not have that problem. It would be fun to drive a vehicle with a factory supercharger, but they had to tame it down so much that it really doesn't perform like it should.

I have owned my Dakota for 2 months now and have not had a single problem (knock on wood). Generally, the Nissans and Toyotas have stellar quality records, but every new car is kindof a gamble.

Go to the Edmunds 2001 4 door small truck comparison for some interesting info (Dodge vs. Nissan vs. Toyota vs. Chevy vs. Ford). Or try doing some research on the Dakota owners forum here. Whatever you do, good luck with your descision.
  • yellowdryellowdr Member Posts: 41
    Edmunds does a generally good job.

I must add though to the previous discussion, lemon laws are not created equal. I just hope that none of us run into deljo01 first hand problems.

Suggestion; Drive all brands/models to see which one fits the driver. IF you want solid try chevy or toyota as well two quality trucks. Toyota has an impressive record for buyer satisfaction. Nissan is a great "bargain" truck if you can find a bargain price.
    I have owned numerous Nissan products and for one am not pleased with the 2001 trucks.

You should not need to buy a "supercharger" to have a little horsepower. I prefer my old 5 speed hardbody or for reliability my 1974 Datsun.

Has anyone else noticed that the 2001 Nissan crew cab has lost its guts compared to the 2000 models?
    Drive both, you'll see. I hope their next new products include an engine that you don't need to pay extra for... I did write to the Nissan Corp. Maybe they will take a suggestion.
  • williewildcatwilliewildcat Member Posts: 5
    I have a '00 CC SE-V6 an have not been impressed at all with what Nissan did in '01 and beyond. I added a K&N filter and I have the same performance that most sports cars would kill for. This is my first and probably my only Nissan but my suggestion is to do your research and make sure you test-drive the vehicle. I have had a couple of small problems but nothing out of the ordinary. These aren't indestructible you know. Purchased in June 2000 and 14,000 miles on mine.
  • cb70cb70 Member Posts: 226
    I've heard the MY03 Frontier's may be getting the Pathfinder 3.5 As I am thinking about purchasing a CC 4WD and I am not in any particular hurry, would it be worth the wait for 250 ponies? Or is what I heard just another net rumor?
  • ibhimibhim Member Posts: 3
    Fully agree, try the different brands.

Dodge - love the V8, but 6 ok, and (automotive quality) cloth interior more confortable than Nissan's industrial strength nylon (or whatever they call it)

Both ride great - better than Ford/Mazda.

V-6 edge to Nissan over Dodge and both blow away Ford/Mazda

Price edge to Nissan as they appear to bargain better. Kicking myself that missed a 40% off MSRP on 2001 Dodges, hoping they rerun it this week to get the V8...Otherwise Nissan after fist of year.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    If you want reliability, go for the Nissan. I've heard too many horror stories about the Dodge Trannies blowing up, and you know that quality UAW work on the fit and finish of Dodges :)

-mike
    both Dodge and nissan V6's "blow away both ford and nissan?" are you crazy or just uninformed. the new for 2001 available 4.0 SOHC in the ranger and B-series puts out a class leading 207 horsepower and 240 lb./ft of torque. i believe the magnum in the dodge and nissan both have a measly 170 horses. the nissan engine is head and shoulders above the dodge in output form. the dodge magnum v6, well, sucks- big time. you have to get the v8 option in the dakota to compete with the ranger, and then the power to weight ratio and gas mileage is still in the rangers favor. the dakota needs a major facelift, its sales numbers are on the way out and will never match the rangers. the ranger and s10 both will be re-designed next year to be mid-size and both offer more powerful engines, with the ranger getting a crew cab and a v8.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    At least the new S10 isn't a GM vehicle :) It's a wholely designed by Isuzu truck so it should be 1/2 way decent if GM can actually build it to spec. biggest problem with the big 3 is their execution and build quality. On paper their vehciles are great but when it comes down to it do you really want to depend on them?

-mike
  • rmtraderrmtrader Member Posts: 30
    I haven't heard that the Frontier / Xterra will have the 3.5 litre, but I have heard from some reliable sources that the supercharged output on the 3.3L will increase to 235HP (no word on torque). The Pathfinder will get a boost to approximately 255HP.
    dependability? well, according to buyers, more of them depend on rangers and s10's than nissans and toyotas combined. my dads got an '88 ranger 4 banger 4x4, its got 195000 miles on it, and hasn't had any engine work at all. still has the stock clutch in it. everything still works good as new. i think if you take care of any vehicle, it will last a good long time. i have an '01 ranger 4x4 with the SOHC 4.0 in it. its a supercab 4-door, and its build quality is excellent. its quiet and not rattly. its got a lot of power and a 6-disc in-dash cd changer which i think is cool. the domestic trucks seem to offer more features standard that toyota charges the buyer more for. nissan does a good job, but their trucks are very under-powered, along with the extremely slow xterra.
  • longquadlongquad Member Posts: 4
    Went out and drove them all...Dodge Quad Cab, Ford Exploder Sport Trac, Rav 4, Liberty and the S10 - and just drove off the lot in my 2002 Long Bed Quad Cab yesterday... First off, lets put this fable to rest immediately... The salesmen who sold me the truck went about 6' 300pds and he rode in the back while my wife and I drove... Me - 6'2" 270 - absolutely no problem... I really doubt that if the two of us didn't have a problem with the back seat - anyone else would... Maybe it's just a 2000-2001 thing... Secondly, the only vehicle that even came close to the initial power of the Supercharged Nissan was the Dodge I don't know what you guys are used to driving, but I buried a Full-size Dodge at the stoplight last night just to be sure - the deciding factor in the end?? The Nissan wasn't American engineered... Sorry to the die-hards here, but I've learned my lesson I also own a Ford and a Pontiac (both cars) along with the 99 Kingcab that I traded for the quad - I didn't have to deal with the service department at Nissan, because during the 3 years I owned the last Nissan - absolutely nothing needed service...Not so with either the GM or the Ford... Don't bother with the comparisons - make your own, and buy what will make you happy... If I had any complaint what-so-ever it would be regarding the price - Wow - a mid - size truck at a full-size price...
    Big price difference in this part of the country. SC would cost $9,000 more off the lot than I paid for the S10.
    We have owned 10 nissans in the past, even when they rusted before they wore out.
    Nissan has had a nice product in their trucks and cars in the past but you never had to pay more for just to have average power? Congrats on the Nissan SC. Sounds like a great pick for your wants.
    you got the sc engine? if so, sorry to hear that. ive read by the pros that that engine royally sucks, gas that is, along with being a royal pooch. and premium fuel required? no thanks. i read one review where it is good at accelerating at initial take-off, but only around a second quicker to 60 compared to the normally aspirated 3.3. and resale value on the sc's looks bad as well, just check autotrader.com to see. imo, the biggest bargain in the frontier lineup is the crew cab XE 4x4 shortbed. i mean, for $20700, plus a grand for the power package, along with its 4.64 rear axle ratio and 15" wheels which will accept 31" tires, it just blows all other nissan trucks out of the water. both performance off-road and at your pocketbook. nonetheless, the sc's wheels look sweet.
  • sc0rpi0sc0rpi0 Member Posts: 897
    Out of curiosity, why didn't you try a Taco DoubleCab? I know the bed is a little short, but since you tried SportTrac, it probably didnt make much difference.
    A V6'ed DC would run a little higher than Nissan, but it'd have more power. A naturally-aspirated Taco would be as fast as a charged Nissan, due to lighter weight. You get better gas milage, use regular fuel.
    good point. plus, the nissan is a lot higher than the sc'd frontier. a loaded toyota dc 4x4 with trd option tips about $25500. i know the sc'd long bed frontier is around $27 or $28000. i like a bargain, so im sticking to my potential XE crew cab 4x4 choice. i mean, $20799 for a cc 4x4 truck? you be the judge. and that's retail price.
    The XE crew is a good bargain at the price you paid. I would have had that same truck myself if the dealers up here would have sold them as advertised. The dealers in this area advertised them at $22,000 until you hit the lot.

One even tried to get $30,000 for that $22,000 truck at the dealership in Allentown. A real rip off.
    Very disappointing.
  • valsigplymvalsigplym Member Posts: 5
    I HAD A CONCERN ABOUT THESE FENDER FLARES BEFORE I BROUGHT MY 2001 CC SE. THEY TRAP PEBBLES AND ROCKS AT THE FORWARD EDGE JUST BEHIND THE BUMPERS. IF YOU PULL BACK THE FRONT EDGE YOU WILL SEE WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT.tHEY PEBBLES BUILD UP AND GET TRAPPED BETWEEN THE FLARE AND THE FENDER. THEY END UP RUBBING THRU THE PAINT ON THE FENDER.i TOOK THE RIVETS AND FLARES OFF AND PUT 3M SCOTCH CLAD ALL AROUND MY FENDERS (THE SAME STUFF THATS PUT ON HOODS TO PREVENT ROCK CHIPS) WERE THE FLARES MAKE CONTACT. YOU CANT EVEN TELL ITS THERE. I HAD MY TRUCK A MONTH BEFORE I DID THIS- THERE WERE ALREADY SCRATCHES IN THE PAINT. IT COST ME $150
  • valsigplymvalsigplym Member Posts: 5
    Has anyone had problems with the rear main seal? I have a small leak that hasn't started to drip yet- but it is leaking. This truck has been perfect for 10K miles!!!
    In response to some of the remarks made after my first message... $25,000 and change for the longest bed in class, 4x4 option, quad cab, SC and towing package, along with the Rockford wasn't too bad for me - if I was worried about the money I wouldn't have bought it - I see a Dodge or Ford or Toyota on every street corner - consider it an investment in exclusivity... Finance everything for 60 months and owe the market trade in value in 2 years (cover yourself with the optional gap insurance - in case of an accident before the 2 year term) and your trading the vehicle for exactly what it is worth in 24 months...Before you start to argue with me - I own 3 brand new vehicles staggered in this manner - so I drive a new one every year - each one obtained with the same formula... Secondly, if you're worried about gas mileage - you shouldn't be looking at trucks - they all suck in the mileage category...If its mileage your looking for - go buy a Kia or a Honda (and I'm not going to quibble about a 5-8 mile per gallon difference in truck brands... I traded a 99 XE 4x4 that didn't have enough power to get out of its own way and sucked off road - no comparison to the auto quad (with my off road tires on it)... The only Nissan even close in the acceleration category would be the Desert Runner - and it only comes in 2 wheel drive... I drove the non SC versions just to make sure of a power difference - there is - and it feels more considerable than the numbers show...
    PS - per my message above - covering yourself with optional gap insurance when you go to finance also drops your financing interest rate by 2 points....
    with all due respect, im wondering how you got your loaded up sc'd 4x4 cc for $25000. and to say your '99 xe sucked off road, is like putting down the truck you have now, as the new frontiers are just a styling change. no mechanical differences. check out the four-wheeler truck of the year to see what they thought of your cc sc'd frontier. like i said, it may be down on power, but the best frontier buy is the xe cc 4x4. $20000 and change. no comparison to your overweight sc'd longbed. nonetheless, you at least have cool wheels.
    Thanks for the complement, however, something I didn't tell you - the XE 4x4 was a 4 cyl... I think you know where I'm coming from...By the way all the reviews for my truck were for the 2001 model - like I said I drove all the 2002 models from different manufacturers and I made the decision... 25,800 was what I paid - if you look at my preceding message you'll see that I opted for the gap insurance thus lowering my financing by 2% - hence the lower sticker price/plus I essentially tore up the saleman and his supe - by the way, I hated the 99, but I got $13,000 (paid 19,500 for it originally) - so no complaints there... Basically, my wife drives it, she can't stand domestic (shes an engineer) and I wanted to see her in a larger vehicle (for safety's sake...) Peace - by the way - I'm waiting for that new SRT-10 Dodge truck with the V-10 in 2003 - just in time!!!
  • gmkrphgmkrph Member Posts: 12
    Yesterday morning I picked up a 2002 Nissan
    Frontier Crew Cab SC 4x4 Longbed. Could not find
    one in my home state of CT. Went to six local dealers and the best I could do was invoice &
    $500 to pull one out of N.Y. state. First off,
    how are current owners doing on gas mileage ?
    Secondly , in the glove box was an empty blister
    package of Nissan wheel lock nuts , yet there
    were not any installed on the vehicle. I asked my
    local dealer if they came with the vehicle and he
    said he had no idea , it was the 1st SC he has sold ( only has had the brand for 2 months ).
    Was this package garbage from the NY dealer
    or did someone take some locking wheel nuts
    that I am entitled to ?
    show today. A power convertible top that opens between the rook rack. Looks cool but maybe not too useful here in Iowa. California?
  • bamatazzbamatazz Member Posts: 311
    Hello all...new to this board ...
    I have a 2000 crew cab..great truck...I also have a 1997 nissans altima & my toy a 2001 jeep wrangler (thats the board im usually on)
    I am really impressed with nissans..great engines..Awful electronics....
    also i have a problem with my tire flare seal coming off on the rear passenger side..
    Nissan is very good about replacing it everytime...
    but its getting to be a hassle..
    Anyone else have this prob?

BamaTazz
    That is an extremely active board. This board is kind of dead around here.
  • vaforniavafornia Member Posts: 11
    Hey does anyone know what is the best deal that I can get for a 2002 CC SE 4X4 here in san diego CA. I was looking at carsdirect.com it came out to be a little under 24K. Is that the going price for this vehicle?
  • nissancrewcabnissancrewcab Member Posts: 12
    What's the deal in here? Nobodies posted anyting in almost two weeks...
  • imprtlvrimprtlvr Member Posts: 38
    I got my 2001 Frontier SE Crew Cab 4x4 14 months ago...here's my experience...
    Don't get me wrong, I love the way it looks, and the in-dash cd changer and wheel controls are nice, but....
    Gas mileage really sucks! I just took a long across state trip...managed only 300 miles on the highway before I was almost out of gas...that's only about 15 mpg.....original sticker said 19!
    The power isn't as bad as people say.....I'd recommend the naturally aspirated 3.3 over the supercharged SC...it is very noisy and only offers better acceleration at the start.
    Little things....the cloth seats stain very easily, the paint scratches very easily, and the backseat is small for anyone around 6 feet tall. Also, as someone earlier posted...small pebbles DO get stuck between the front fender flares and the fender...very annoying. Finally, the General Grabber AW tires that came with mine are wearing very quickly. 26k miles and they need to be replaced soon.
    Consumer reports rated the Frontier last among small crew cabs, their arguments were harsh ride and lack of power..decide for yourself. Good luck!
  • brad75brad75 Member Posts: 1
    Is anyone else experiencing starting problems with their Frontier? I just purchased a 2002 XE Crew and twice I have had it start very sluggishly. I think I have connected this problem right after I have filled it up with gas. Does air get into the fuel systems somehow? Any help is appreciated. ONce it starts, it runs fine.
  • imprtlvrimprtlvr Member Posts: 38
    My 2001 SE Crew Cab 4x4 has failed to start twice in the past 2 weeks. I've owned it 14 months, no problems to complain about except the slightly underpowered engine and bad gas mileage...but when this happened I just turned the key and nothing happened. I waited a few seconds and tried again, and the engine started. Sounds like something electrical to me.
    Also, has anybody noticed if their steering wheel will pull slightly back towards the driver? I accidently pulled back on mine, and it moved towards me a little, not the whole steering column, just the wheel. Kinda scary....
  • jsandyjsandy Member Posts: 7
    Hi:

I own a 2000 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab, I have over 60,000 mile on it. It has been reliable and trustworthy, but I had an expensive repair recently. This may address some of the concerns posted here. My service engine light came on, and my truck was havinf trouble starting and running very rough. I figured the 60K tune up would cure it. Took it to my mechanic, and it was an expensive tune up from the get go (estimated at about $500, yikes). Anyway they found a part that was tripping the engine light: a fuel line regulator (about a $100 part with tons of labor to replace it). I was dissappointed by what I paid for all this, but I have to admit the Nissan is running better than new now. I will need tires soon (I have the p265 15inch goodrich, they are really good: about 63,000 and still have tread).

So, ouch. I like my Nissan, my only real complaint is how small the back seat is. Other than that I drive it a lot, get about 20 mpg, and 2 of my children have learned to drive in it.

Maybe that's useful for someof you.
  • andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    My Dad has a 2001 Xterra. He is thinking about the Extended Care coverage. Must you buy this where you purchased the car or can you shop around. What is a good price with the $0 deductible option?
  • jsandyjsandy Member Posts: 7
    HI

Well, things got worse for my Nissan. I had the fuel line pressure regulator replaced, and it ran great for about one week. Then, it started running really bad, adn it smelt like fuel. Iwas about to go back to the mechanic, when it broke down and left me stranded. I was bummed. I had it towed in and now I find it needs a new Fuel Injector, the theory is when the fuel pressure regulator blew, it put too much pressure in the system adn blew the fuel injector (just one of them). Anyway, my credit card can't take much more of this.

I hate to say it but I am not impressed with Nissan. I know alot of people who have owned and been happy with Nissan products, but I am very disappointed.

To anyone considering what to buy: my advice is GET A TOYOTA.

ps it's taken about a week just to get the part!
  • millsk1millsk1 Member Posts: 24
    and I love my Frontier Crew Cab. I have a 2000 4X4. The gas mileage is bad, but there are few trucks on the market that get the mileage on their sticker. The back seat is small, but I knew that when I looked. It is for the kids. I wanted something that looked good, drove well(even with my mud tires), and gave me some passenger space. I have wanted one of these since I saw the Toyota and Nissan CC's in Panama in the early 1990's.
  • nissancrewcabnissancrewcab Member Posts: 12
    Let me get this correct. You have a repair done incorrectly and now you advise people to buy a Toyota? Your mechanic should have checked the injectors too. One more thing, the engine has a 5 year 60,000 mile warranty. Had you had the service done at Nissan you wouldn't have had to pay for the repair.
  • drewhinkledrewhinkle Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 4x4 SE-V6 crew cab. The check engine light comes on almost daily, yet the dealer can't find the source of the problem. The brakes wore out after 12k miles. The front end will not align; the dealer "aligned it 3 times in 1 day, but couldn't ever get it into specs". It will pre-ignite, causing spark nock, unless you use 89 or higher octane fuel; confirmed by the dealer. The OEM tires wore out after 9 months. Add the facts that the cabin is small and the engine over-powered yet gas-guzzling and you have one sorry piece of crap. Yes, appearances can be deceiving.
  • nissansucksnissansucks Member Posts: 1
    I have had my power window regulators changed 3 times already. Has anyone else had this problem? The jerks at the nissan dealership are saying that nissan is having a legal battle with the supplier of that part (which changed between 2000 and 2001). Nissan denies this (1-800-nissan2).

Over all this truck has been a huge disappointment. weak engine, poor gas-milage, my a/c make a strange "farting" noise and produces a foul odor, poor customer service at the dealership, and, oh yeah, my door trim is falling off. It just never ends.

I don't think I'll be buying another nissan.

Does anyone want one? I'll sell it to you cheap!
  • hdlouiehdlouie Member Posts: 8
    Can I fold down the rear seat to use for hauling other things besides people? It seems they have a soft backing instead of hard back. I only looked at one so I don't know if this holds true for all.
  • dtenore1dtenore1 Member Posts: 3
    I'm thinking about getting a 2003 CC S/C, but not certain now. Some people have no problems at all while others are having nightmares. I really like it, but don't want to get into a major problem... Any feedback??

Thanks
  • fishookedfishooked Member Posts: 14
    From reading the messages, it sounds like I shouldn't. Part of the reason I have them half-crossed off my list is because:

-I wanted the Crew Cab, short or long bed, 4x4, with the towing package. But yet when I tried to select the tow package (on build your own on Nissans' web site), it automatically changes your 4x4 selection to 4x2.

Why would Nissan do this? Wouldn't you want 4 wheel drive when you are towing something, if necessary? That whole thing just turned me off, I'm off to look at Tacomas.

Having a pickup truck without 4x4 is like being married to a supermodel without being able to f*** them.
  • soggydogsoggydog Member Posts: 67
    Fishooked. I wonder if the problem is with Nissan's web site, it may automatically change to 4X2 because the 4X4 already has all the items in the tow package. I have a 01CC/SE 4X4 with 20K and have had no problems at all. I installed a Hidden Hitch receiver and tow my 17' Tracker all over the place.

The Tacoma is also a nice truck but if you go over to their board you'll see they also have problems. Sometimes you get a lemon, sometimes people abuse the heck out of their vehicle then complain about it. It's hard to tell, you just have to go test drive and ckeck out each type you are interested in.
  • fishookedfishooked Member Posts: 14
    I could always get an aftermarket tow hitch I'm sure. Still not sold on Nissan's quality though.

I have a friend who also has an Altima and Exterra, and she's always had problems...
  • mhoptonmhopton Member Posts: 2
    Hello all, I am considering purchasing a used Frontier SE from a local guy who's kept the truck in immaculate condition. All service records, synthetic oil only etc. The body is excellent, never wrecked, interior is great. Engine could be eaten off of.

The truck is loaded with everything but 4x4 for that year and it has 44k miles. He has had no mechanical issues, according to his maintenance log. It is a beautiful truck and the price is soooo right. He only wants 15k for it.

It seems that it would be perfect for my small kids to sit in the back, to pull my dirtbike on a small trailer, to go camping in and mountain biking with.

My question is, are there any things I should look for on the year 2000 model trucks? Reliability issues, services, etc. It also has new Toyo tires...

Thanks,
    Mike
This discussion has been closed.