Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Murano Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• andytommoandytommo Member Posts: 33
    I guess it really does make a difference which dealer you go to. My Murano will be 2yrs old at the end of August. I've had numerous problems with it, the worst one being a transfer case replacement 8 months ago. The guy I go to at the dealer has always gone out of his way to help and try and rectify whatever issues I have had, and I was always given a loaner car. Ok, I would rather not have had my car in the shop quite as much as it has been, but in the almost 2 years of owning it, they have paid for about 5 weeks worth of rental cars for me.
    Knock on wood, I haven't had any issues in the last 8 months, and I'm up to 58,000 miles. Just drove a 2,700 mile/7 day trip down to Tennessee, surrounding states and back up for business, and I can't think of another vehicle I would rather have been in. I had to take it off the beaten track to get to some of our locations, and it handled that as well as it does the highway. Low(ish) ground clearance is slightly annoying, but if you know how to drive up steep hills on dirt tracks then you can get by. The trip, including the offroading, idling to keep the a/c running in the 90 degree heat while I wasnt in the vehicle and highway driving where I average around 75-80mph I averaged 21.9mpg. I can't complain.
    Tires can be tricky to come by - when you need them, call your dealer a week or so before you take it in so they can get them ordered in if necessary.
    I use Cherry Hill Nissan in NJ btw. Would recommend them.
  • aymanzaymanz Member Posts: 3
    Sorry for the delay . the problem is with the A/C cooling , it seems that the A/C isnot cooling enough . I have tented the car but the problem is still there . If you run the a/c on Auto the temperature inside the car doesn't go below 23 C even if you keep the A/C running for hours .
  • ajp0374ajp0374 Member Posts: 1
    Hello All,

My wife and I just purchased a 2006 Murano SL AWD. Since we've had it the time has never been right. We set it and it changes the next time the vehicle starts. We have all ready brought back to the dealer and they can't figure it out. Claim they are waiting for Nissan USA to give them an answer. Has anyone else experienced this issue?? What are my options in terms of getting it fixed? Never really knew how much I actually looked at the clock while driving. It's very annoying. And by the way, LOVE THE MURANO!!
  • murano_ownermurano_owner Member Posts: 64
    Is it me or are the cup holders in the console just horrible. The little flap doesn't hold anything in place and if you have just one cup it slides back and forth. What a crappy design
  • dbn8662dbn8662 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 Murano and am trying to have this issue elevated to Nissan Corporate - can anyone who has had this issue please send me there incident to dbn@dbnorton.com.

Thanks
  • dbn8662dbn8662 Member Posts: 2
    By any chance were you having the poor acceleration problems? We have been experienceing the same issue on a 2003 AWD and have never bee able to duplicate the issu at the dealer.
  • homeounerhomeouner Member Posts: 145
    Re; Thoes "little " boxes next to it are about useless. The cup holder in the rear seat on the floor is easily stepped on. Sure hope the talked about merger of G M and Nissan/ Renault dont happen!!
  • valdesvaldes Member Posts: 1
    Mine is in the shop right now getting the transmission replaced. It has 48,000 miles on it. I had acceleration and transmission problems. They replaced the throttle chamber and it fixed the acceleration problem. The transmission was sticking in high gear after climbing a mountain. It would not shift back down and I wouldn't be able to go faster than 60 mph because the engine would rev up to 6 rpms. I had to shut the car off for at least 3 minutes and it would clear itself. But then get stuck again as soon as I had to go up a hill. Nissan tried to tell me the throttle chamber would fix that as well but it did not. Took three trips in in two weeks before they acknowledged a transmission problem and are now replacing it. However, had it happened after the 50,000 mile mark, it would not have been covered under warranty. I had the dealer print out other warranty work that's been done and it's extensive - replace alternator, replace rack and pinion system, replace rear hatch door, replace rear engine mount. I think I shall be getting rid of it as soon as I get it back. A car with this low mileage should not have had these types of problems.
    RE: The posts about stones coming thru the four holes in the bumper and puncturing the AC evaporator, I looked thru the openings and saw mumerous nicks in the fins of the evap. but none of the stones had come close to the evap. tubes. To prevent stones from being thrown thru the openings I obtained hardware cloth W/ 1/4 inch sq. mesh galvanized, from a small hadrware store, cut two pieces 5 1/2" wide by 12" long. Remove the license plate and the holder to get acess behind the bumper. Work the mesh thru the center holes and slip about 3/8" of the mesh to the left and right ends of the grill openings. The top of the mesh fits up to the top of a cross bar there. The inboard end of the mesh will go about 1/4" past the 2nd. verticle bar of the bumper Take a hex bolt 3/8" dia. by 1 1/2" long and push it thru the mesh abd screw it in to the back of the vert. bar opening. This will hold the mesh in place. One can spray paint the galv. mesh black if the silver color is not right. The mesh wont impede the air flow and will protect the AC coil from entering objects. I see no problems W/ the outboard edge of mesh interfering with any thing on either side of the grill.
    Steve: why did you change the format of the forum?? Why fix some thing that was not broken? Please tell me the better parts of this change. Thanks.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    The primary reasons for the changes were to make it easier for people to find the information they need and to integrate the forums with our CarSpace.com. Instead of having to find your way through 10,000+ posts in a single discussion you can now go directly to the topic of interests.

tidester, host
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    IMHO: People don't actually want to subscribe to N topics, when 1 suffices and is superior. Being able to search 1 forum/topic with 10,000 posts is easier actually than breaking up a forum into many tinier forums dedicated to a subset of issues.

Often when searching a forum for a problem, one comes across other information that is helpful as well. This doesn't happen when the forums multiply.

I speculate navigation and search for information, and the dynamics of forum exchanges/content of the readership wasn't improved with these changes.

Just one person's opinion.
    I see you have been participating in the Forums Software! Your Questions Answered... discussion which is the appropriate place to express your concerns on this matter.

tidester, host
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    true, it is the proper place to discuss this. my apologies.
  • terry92270terry92270 Member Posts: 1,247
    Fortunately for me, here in the High Country of Reno (4000 feet)and at Lake Tahoe, I have yet to experience the AC and transmission problems others have been posting about.

I am on my second MO, and although the CVT and drive by wire takes some getting used to, I have never found the MO's response "troubling", for I read up on what to expect before purchasing.

People need a reality check. When anyone pays $5-$10,000 more for essentially the same car from Infinity, one should expect a higher degree of willingness to take actions to merely satisfy the suspicion or "hunch" of an owner. That is because the manufacturer has built into the orginal price a customer satisfaction reserve. Nissan dealers, without that extra cushion, shouldn't be expected to act on things unless and until they have proof, via a service bulletin. Otherwise most would be in bankruptcy. :(
  • whitallwhitall Member Posts: 190
    I don't have a rear cup holder on the floor, where is it and why don't I?????? I have a 2006 w/leather and 6 CD in dash/XM radio. (touring pkg) The back seat has 2 cup holders in the flip down center armrest and I broke both of those little flappy things right off this weekend trying to show them to somebody. I assume the warranty covers them???

I have only 2 not so great cup holders in the front and two in the back. Is this a Japanese car thing??? My Chevy and Dodge had more than you could need!
  • ctxctx Member Posts: 50
    LOL. I don't allow food or drink in my 2006 Mo so cupholders haven't been an issue. :)
  • murano_ownermurano_owner Member Posts: 64
    It's a good thing you don't. I put in a grande starbucks and the little flap would not hold the cup in place, so guess what happen when I took a corner. It slid to the other side and then poped up and poured all over my leather seat. Argggg. What I don't get about the cup holder is that the flap has a sping underneath it but the spring never gets compressed. Almost like they put it there and then asked why they put it there. Really bad design. Maybe it was meant to be a sake bottle holder and not a cup holder :mad:
    Well, at least with the leather seats, you don't have to worry about the stains, eh? :D
    Maybe it was meant to be a sake bottle holder and not a cup holder ...

No, the sake holder has a built-in heater. ;)

tidester, host
  • timbo4timbo4 Member Posts: 30
    Please people, enough about cup holders. If that's all you have to complain about your Murano you should feel fortunate!!!!!! What about a bunch of whiners. :cry:
  • maximafanmaximafan Member Posts: 592
    I don't think they're being whiners. This is
    something that should be remedied on an otherwise well-built, nicely equipped vehicle.
    I had the chance to spend about four days with
    a Murano rental. I drive(or did, as my 02
    Maxima got wrecked Monday evening and may be
    totalled) I've had no problems with the cupholders in the Max. But I ran into the same
    problem as the above posts with a large McDonald's cup or similar type cup in the Murano. Every time I made a turn, the cup would tip over or tried to. Nissan just needs to redesign this feature and it shouldn't be too much of an expense since the other Nissan models have better designed cupholders.

Really, who wants to be worrying about whether
    your drink is going to spill over when you make
    a turn, especially with coffee that has milk in it. There's nothing fun about having to smell sour milk in your car everytime you get inside your car because you couldn't get the whole thing quite cleaned up because it fell into a bunch of small crevices in your car!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    If you read the Consumer Reviews and Ratings here for most any vehicle, one of the most requested items in the Suggested Improvements category is more and/or better cupholders. I bet the only suggestion that's more common is better mileage.
    I quite agree! I solved the "problem" by shopping around for a travel mug with the proper shape and diameter for the front holders. ;) In fact I found one that even allows it to be plugged into the auxiliary power supply, and keeps it piping hot!

Absent that, get off the extra large coffees, and use a cup not so top-heavy, and the situation will get better.

Hopefully Nissan will install a widget or bushing of high quality, grab-wise, for next year's re-do!
  • baldwin3baldwin3 Member Posts: 121
    Today I brought the 05 Murano down to Central Valley Nissan in Modesto, CA for tank shield and seat belt recall, A/C check and oil, lube and filter (20,000 miles). In at 7:30AM and out at 9:45 AM. The shield they ordered for me is heavy aluminum, contours from the bottom of the car and curves tightly along the tank, going back at least 1 foot. It is completely invisible as it fits right against the tank. I suggest that on these shield recalls, Murano owners insist on this version, not the vertical plastic model mentioned by other posts this year. Obviously, some dealers ARE better than others. John B.
    Exactly!

Caveat Emptor, in all cases.
    Looking at the service receipt, for everyones' information:
    2 actual shields are used, one left side, one right.
    Part Number is: A7285-CC25A "Protector Fuel"
    Cost: WARRANTY RECALL 0.00

So, don't let them tell you it isn't there and give you the hang-down plastic one...John B

Good luck
  • mschremsermschremser Member Posts: 1
    I recently had the very same experience with my 2004 Murano. I was driving home from work and all of a sudden it started driving very sluggish. I barely made it home with my 20 month old before it completely died and had to be towed to the dealership where it currently remains. The transmission & transfer case have to be replaced. The car is 2 years old, has less than 20,000 miles. The dealership gave me a car, which they should have without question, but nevertheless it's very disappointing to have to go through all this when the vehicle is so new.
  • ram383838ram383838 Member Posts: 5
    I'm looking for this information also, since I have had zero help from Nissan Consumer Affairs. I have now chosen the route of the BBB and filed my complaint with them. But I cannot believe Nissan supports the way Nissan of America provides customer support.
    Your case is classic for simple TPS replacement...not transfer case and transmission. Be pro-active. Be smarter than the people at the service desk. Throttle Position Sensor is a monster virus in an otherwise great (as compared to the other) vehicles...that failure to accelerate is classic...go back two years of posts and you will see it. Either your dealership is right or the simple replacement of the TPS is the correct fix....I am saddened that Nissan has not been more "proactive" in telling its serice representatives about TPS...but since, even at the dealership I respect at Central Valley in Modesto, CA (I am retired MD and live 60 miles away with no vested interest)...there are NEW SERVICE WRITERS every couple months...and by now, I know more than they do about Nissan products. That is the "Front Line" and that is the main barrier to correct diagnosis. John B.
  • justjudyjustjudy Member Posts: 3
    When I drive on the freeway, (long drives) after driving about 40 miles, my 04 murano starts cutting out on me, is a surging at freeway speeds. Has anyone else experienced this? My warranty is almost up and I want to make sure I have my bases covered, also sometimes when I start it first thing in the morning I get a grinding noise, it doesn't do it after its warmed up, anybody know what that could be?? Thanks all
  • chucho79chucho79 Member Posts: 11
    The grinding noise could be that it needs a new starter...my Maxima did the same thing, grinding when cold, but not when warmed up...replaced the starter...no more problems. The cutting out on the freeway sounds like the TPS...pretty much everyone should replace their TPS even if just as a precaution. A faulty TPS has been the reason for MANY different performance issues with tons of Murano owners. I replaced the TPS and did a transmission service on my wife's Murano back in March....it's run like a champ ever since (knock on wood!). :)
  • sherryllpsherryllp Member Posts: 1
    We have 2003 Murano SE AWD and had the transmission replaced at 68,000 miles and just had the transfer case replaced (30,000 miles later. Between that time, we had the vehicle in the shop 3 times because it wasn't "right". Nissan dealer kept saying they could find nothing wrong. In June, the dealer had the car for a week and could find nothing wrong. 2 weeks ago we drove to Florida and while there the transfer case went. We had to have the vehicle transported back to NJ and fly home. Fortunately, we purchased the extended warranty and repairs were covered but Nissan should be embarrassed and held accountable to their customers. I've read posts where transmissions went at 38,000 miles. I don't care what kind of vehicle - that's unacceptable. Nissan should step up and issue a recall. Shame on them.
  • kbarrettakbarretta Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2004 Murano. Last month I had the transmission replaced at 28,000 miles. Since that happened, I have been reading all the other problems the Murano has on this site. Although I love my car, I am afraid of what is to come with it. I will probably trade it in for something else. I will definatedly investigate any brand of car on this site before purchasing another car.
    I replaced the engine air filter element W/ one by Purolater. The original had 7 more folds then the after market one!!??
  • rjgcparjgcpa Member Posts: 11
    I have a 2005 Murano with 14K miles. Two days ago left work (or tried to leave) and noticed acceleration problem. Also, had 'service engine soon' light and 'awd' light come on. Had it towed next day because I wasn't sure whether the 'awd' was for real. Repair was 'a check of all gound wires per Nissan TSB'. While in for repair I reviewed postings. I have a very uncomfortable feeling that the real problem was not fixed. Anyone hear of a TSB being issued regarding the ground wires? Only one I know of was the recall concerning battery which has already been done on my vehicle.
    I am just a humble country doctor, but the acceleration problem in post above is TPS if I have ever seen a hot appendix. Electonic accelerator pedal "wireless" to the gas guy is a new "thing", to bypass the former reliable, but occasionally defective steel wire..your story is classic and your dealer will admit it...if he/she is honest or smart and fix it the same day. Do not be bullied into a transmission or transfer case...from which the dealer rips off Nissan America...and you still have a problem. TPS...any other smart posters agree??? John B. CA
  • rjgcparjgcpa Member Posts: 11
    Got my Murano back from dealership. They pulled up a code U1000 and described it as 'Can Comm Circuit'. They followed procedure outlined in TSB 06009 (2/06). Found info on this and a lot of other info at nissanhelp.com. Only problem is the TSB indicates the procedure to follow if 1)Malfunction Indicator Light is on, 2)Code is U1000 or U1010 and 3)no driveability incidents. Well I certainly experienced a driveability incident when I had no acceleration. Called dealership and inquired about this. Service rep said that this TSB is only one issued for the reported Code. She said this procedure has been followed on a number of cars and "none have ever come back". We shall see. :confuse:
  • rogerscablerogerscable Member Posts: 1
    Just brought the 2006 Murano. Going to keep the car 6 years. The quote for extended warranty for 6year/120000km is ~$2000.
  • biggsly5000biggsly5000 Member Posts: 3
    Unnecessary technology in my opinion. I have a 2004 SE 2WD and have had all the problems most people have had.

-Pulled to left when bought it, took to dealer twice to get it fixed, rotated tires then pulled to right.

-TPS

-Alternator

Back right door handle quit working inside and out, had to replace several parts in there.

-and of course the seat belt recalls and gas tank protector.

All and all not too good for a $28,000 car with 24,00 miles. Luckily I have the extended warranty. But if it continues to have problems its a goner, next!!! My cheapo Contour never left me stranded and it was about half the price. I knew I should have got a G35...
    I believe $2,000 as you quote for 6 year/120K makes sense, but do you have to buy it now? As you already are covered 3yr/36,000. All you have to do is read these posts and believe me, if transfer cases and transmissions break down without a warranty, you probably will have to sell your house. Every car on the road today is so unnecessarily complicated that NOBODY in ANY CAR can afford to be without one. How about driving your '06 for 34,000 miles or 34 months and then decide...if you have lived in the shop, you may want OUT rather than a warranty. I have had only the TPS accelerator-bug fixed warranty at 7,000 on the 05...IF I keep it, you can be sure I'll go warranty. Why doesn't some company bring back the 1951 Chevy...you fix it yourself, it doesn't break, the windows have hand cranks, there is no CD, TPS, Transfer Case or much else to kill you and it gets 22-29 Mpg. That would be progress. JB
  • easym1easym1 Member Posts: 218
    Has anyone noticed a rattling sound at low speed? The rattle sounds like those old cars when running at low speed. Anyone?
    JB....

Makes no diff when you buy it. Buy it later, it will cost more, or perhaps not run as long. Many extended warranties cover more than the original does.

Mine runs 5 years, 100K, and wraps around the Nissan power train waranty and cost almost $500 less....
  • fhrabetinfhrabetin Member Posts: 34
    Could be engine ping. I get it on engine load, here it best in a tunnel. Using premium gas MAYBE make a difference.
    Terry: appreciate education...so, if you buy it early-on, before the original warranty expires, it costs less and covers more than original...so, if you buy it on a brand new car for 6 years, you get a little extra coverage on the original, and then three more. As I understand it, nobody warrants past seven years old. OK..thanks. I do believe these new complicated cars are wallet-busters without warranties; so many of my friends have found "car shops" totally incapable of diagnosis or repair (worse than the worst dealer stories). Thanks for feedback. JB
    Look for a warranty that wraps-around the Nissan's power train warranty, as it is always longer than the other, high-tech items.

Feel free to contact me at terry92270@carspace.com if you need additional pointers. I think my Yahoo messenger is in my profile here. If not, email me, and I will send it.
  • msmith30msmith30 Member Posts: 3
    I started having a problem with my 03 Murano, while driving on the highway. When traveling 70 miles per hour and began to accelerate and the RPM shot up to 5,000 and would not accelerate. I brought it to Nissan dealership and they had a code P0868 come up. The service man told me I needed to replace the transmission and the cost would be $6500. I told him that he was out of his mind. He then told me to call Nissan at 1-800-nissan1 to see if they would help on the replacement. After reading the forum, it sounds like I need to inform the Service manager that TPS is most likely the issue I have with my car.
  • whitallwhitall Member Posts: 190
    I had my Murano about one week when I noticed a stain on the "A" pillar (the one next to the windshield) It started just above the horizontal seam and extended down about 6 inches. It was a jagged oval brown line. I took it back to the dealer and someone there said it could be from a clogged sunroof drain, so I made an appt for after my vacation. This car has only been in one rainstorm since I've had it, and that occurred while it was parked. It was a severe thunderstorm. This car had been a dealer trade and came from another part of the state. It was filthy in the back and the roof, many chopped up looking leaf bits. Quite likely something was clogged.

I had the appt this week and they told me they didn't find a leak. OK, maybe it had been an old stain from something else. They cleaned the stain. I washed it 2 days later, with particular attention to the sunroof since the deflector was dirty on the underside. Got in car to put in garage to dry and lo and behold, a nice big wet mark in the same area.

The service advisor told me they checked for leaks by putting it through their carwash!! How high-tech! Silly old me, I would have checked for a sunroof leak, especially one that seem to be in the front area of the sunroof, by putting a freakin hose up in there!!! Obviously the wind deflector would protect part of the sunroof from getting direct water, as it might receive in a storm, or even while parked facing downhill in the rain.">

It is also possible that it is a leaky weld or something because it is located away from the sunroof, but somebody said the drain might run down that pillar or something. Does anybody know about this? I am so afraid they will have to rip apart the roof or something, and I still don't have a 1000 miles!! It's one month old today! I have a photo of it on my PC, but don't know how to post it.

Do leaks qualify for lemon law???
    "Stuff" can and does happen, no matter the brand or mileage.

Be thankful your car is under warranty, and be assertive when taking it back, speaking to the Service Manager only. Demand a free loaner or free rental while you have to leave it.

It really isn't more complicated than that. ;)
  • matthewjmatthewj Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Murano with 4000K. At times it behaves quite normally. At other times it fails to accelerate properly. With the gas pedal fully depressed, the engine picks up a bit of speed, and then when the revs hit about 2000 they start to decrease and the acceleration is almost non-existent. Sometimes it has alternating acceleration and deceleration when the gas pedal is fully down, leading to a very jerky movement. When the car is misbehaving like this, the cruise control will not set, and the set light flashes.

When the car behaves normally, the acceleration is fine, and the cruise control works.

My Nissan dealer replaced the throttle chamber, but this has not fixed the problem. Now they don't know what it is. Can anyone help?