Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Murano Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• cgongolcgongol Member Posts: 2
    I just leased a 2006 Murano S AWD. It has a roof rack with cross beems. I quickly noticed that at about 40 MPH and faster there was an unacceptable amount of wind noice around the roofline - it almost sounds like an slightly opened sunroof - which I don't have. I took it to the dealer and of course they said it was the position of the antenna on the roof. After I laughed, they took it for a test drive and agreed about the roof - wind noise.

I then removed the 2 cross beams and the wind noise has been reduced by about 80%. I also have Goodyear Tires which create in my opinion eccessive road noise.

Am I just over sensative or has anyone had the same issues? I just turned in a Ford Freestyle Xover and other than an underpowered V6, that thing was very very quiet!What softer tires should I put on this vehicle as well?
  • baldwin3baldwin3 Member Posts: 121
    Cross beams on roof racks cause noise. My Pathfinder did the same until I slid the cross pieces all the way to the back of the track where the driver can hardly hear them whining. The earlier Muranos (I have an 03) did not have cross beams, only side pieces and there is no roof noise, but front tranny and motor are definitely louder in the cabin than "luxury" cars like Audi or BMW.
    On tires: there are not a whole lot of choices out there. My tire dealer states that a year from now, there may be more brands for Murano, such as Cooper, which has been great on the Pathfinder, made in USA.The original equipment Goodyears are going to need replacing for me at about 30,000, but I see posts on TIRE RACK that they have served 50,000 for others. We drive curvy mountain roads with rough asphalt, not straight-ahead freeways 80% of the time. I think they are poor in snow, have worn quickly and are noisy, but the Murano with FWD/AWD has a lot of front end cabin noise no matter what. I noticed that moving from the quiet but totally unreliable 01 Audi A6 to Murano. Tires will make some difference, but not fix it completely.
    Michelin has an excellent and expensive tire called Cross Terrain SUV All Season with a wear rating of 8.1, a noise of 8.6 and 8/10 buyers would "Probably" buy it again. Tires list for $167 each, add mounting and pressure stems...try 180 x 4! Pirelli makes the Scorpion Ice and Snow which is not that aggressive a tread that it can't be used for daily driving...wear 8.5, noise 8.3, would buy again "definitely" 9/10 buyers. ($155 plus misc = 170 x 4) I doubt, even though they are cheaper, that I will buy Goodyears. Drive the Goodyears till they need replacing, then check. There may well be many more choices as this 235/65TR18 size becomes more widespread in use. John B
  • mritermriter Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 Murano AWD SL with 45k miles. Today without warning it started dying on me when I put it into gear. It was towed to the dealership, the torque converter was froze and the transmission is trashed. It's covered under the power train warranty and Hummel's Nissan in Des Moines is taking great care of me. I'm posting to see if others have had the same problem or if this is a fluke.
  • easym1easym1 Member Posts: 218
    Did they check the TPS before deciding it's the transmission?
  • whitallwhitall Member Posts: 190
    I don't know much about all this, but I've followed enough to know a lot of people have TPS problems. My quetion is this though....if at 45,000 miles the dealership is willing to put in a new trans, wouldn't you take it, even if the real problem is the TPS??? In the process would the TPS get replaced as well?
  • mritermriter Member Posts: 2
    I'm don't know what TPS is. I spoke to the dealership today and he said once the torque converter freezes up both it and the transmission have to be replaced. He did tell me that they have seem only seen this happen a few times. I'm concerend about it happening again after the warranty is expired.
  • cgongolcgongol Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the information. Sounds like you know of what you speak in terms of the roof rack and cabin noise.

I can't believe designers don't or can't figure these things out ahead of time in testing.

As far as tires, I only have about 500 miles on the car and am goign to contact the dealer to see if I can get them swithed....it's worth a try.
    If they replace the trans and discover the fault was TPS right after, they will surely replace it...otherwise, once you drive your car and got the same problem, you'll ralize they change the wrong part. I believe that the bigger repair that the dealership does, the more money they can make..either from you or the car manufacturer.
  • homeounerhomeouner Member Posts: 145
    I ordered the metal protector Nov. 12 06. The first order was rejected, and a special order resent. The part arrived at Victory Nissan on Jan. 7 07. The parts dept. kept following up on the order till it arrived. The installation was very easy, two bolts and one push in fastener. The wraparound protector will be an effective protector and not be noticed. It cost me $28.00.
    Good going! The metal shield is worth fighting for and you have a great dealer to go to bat for you...$28.00. For others with the Hang Down Plastic, you can check my post #1599 in which the part numbers are listed. Homeouner's experience proves the metal contour shields exist. John B
  • cpien304cpien304 Member Posts: 2
    After setting our eyes on the Murano for 1 1/2 years, we finally made the purchase on a 07 Murano. This is my wife's car; however, she has been commenting that the engine seems sluggish, or more like something is holding it back when letting the foot off the accelerator. After driving it, I felt that when letting off on the accelerator (in the speed about 25-30 mph) and just to let the car to coast a little, the engine power gets cut back, which felt like a breaking has been applied to the engine itself to prevent the car from coasting. Because of this "breaking", even during normal local driving, it made the ride and the car feels heavy. When approaching the red light, she sometime fears that the car slows down too fast (even before applying the breaks) and the car behind it can’t stop on time. Is this how CVT should feel like? We had took the car back to the dealership and test drove another new Murano, it feels the acceleration and deceleration on that Murano is a lot smoother, which made the ride feels lighter on its wheels (doesn't have much of the engine breaking feeling).
    When we test drove the car there was a bouncy feeling (like driving on a unsmooth surface), the dealership said the car has been sitting there for a little while and it formed a flat surface on the tires, but after couple thousands of miles it should go away. Has anyone experience it?
    Finally, rattling or vibrating noise in the trunk area which can be heard better in the slower speed (without the road noise), any ideas?
  • maineguymaineguy Member Posts: 6
    Hello:

Thanks for all the help. After about two months of complaining to my local dealership (Maine Mall (Berlin City) Nissan) and finally giving them the part number, after contacting their regional service manager they were able to locate the new metal shield and install it for me at no charge on my 2003 Murano. It looks much better and I hope it improved my gas mileage.

I was told that this part was sent special to them by the service manager and was not available for them to order directly. I was later told that it is the same part used on the 2007 Murano so I am not sure what to believe.

On a secondary note, my winter mileage around town is between 15 and 17 MPG, it is only slightly better in the summer. I am very light on the gas and watch the gas use meter as I dive to try to maintain the best mileage possible. I have complained about this to the dealer and as usual I am told it is within normal parameters.

I maintain the car regularly have changed all filters and use nothing but premium fuel. I only have 25,000 mile on the car and bought it new in August 2003.

I have asked other Murano owners what their mileage is and I always get a higher number then what I seem to see on my own. Mileage however, like other things, is something that people tend to lie about so I am not sure what to believe.
    Any idea what should be looked at to improve this mileage?

Thanks
    Headed into year #3 with the 03 Murano. Live in mountains,do a lot of uphill/downhill at 3,500 - 4,000 feet. Rarely any load in car other than wife-kid. Avg 18 under these circumstances, with tires at 33 psi. Reg fuel. Premium will not improve numbers..don't waste $. Flat sea-level 55-65 mpg gets 21, rarely 22. I think that's going to be it...can't goose it anymore. The Murano is rather big and heavy. Hyundai/Kia Santa Fe models which are copycats get 15/18. John B
  • fhrabetinfhrabetin Member Posts: 34
    I have a 2003 AWD w/ about 86000 miles. On avg. I get 18-20 mix city and Hwy, open road 60 mph++ 22-24 on med grade, otherwise too much ping. I'm at 3500 feet in central OR. 2 things that might help are 1) bring tire press up to 36 COLD using a dial-NOT a stem gauge. Stem gauge will give you 3 diff. pressures 3 diff. time on the same tire. I got this idea from retire master mech. at Nissan before he retired. 33# gives it a cushy ride, 36 firmer and better on tight corners. No noticeable change in tire wear. Remember the Explorer debacle w/ tire failure set at lo press. to attain nice ride. Many hi speed blowouts occured because the tires got hot. 2) Look into using a airhog airfilter by Fram, this is reusable, you clean in and treat it every so often when it get soiled. Easy to use. The filter has deeper pleats so the engine gets more air.
    You're MPG is not too far from reality.
    Hi, maineguy, The formed metal tank protector was factory installed on the '06 murano's and also on the '07 models. The stud holding the shield in the center could have been installed when the mud flap style was installed on my MO. The rear most fastener uses the hex cap screw holding a plastic angle at the rocker panel in front of the rear wheel. The push on is into an existing hole in the floor pan. A nice design.

hi, mainguy
  • honodohonodo Member Posts: 1
    WOW the same thing just happened to me, we went on a Vermont road trip from NYC and as luck would have it the car just stopped moving on the first mountain encountoured. The engine was still running but the wheels just would not move, something you do not expect on a 2005 SL with 13500 miles on it. We got the car towed to Miller Nissan in New Hampshire (they really did not help ease my emergency, but i can say Enterprise rent-a-car did).The car has been in for a day and they are saying "we never have seen this before" and now we are waiting for Nissan Co to identify and confirm the fix. I hope Nissan pays for the rental because my car is 240 miles from me.
    Hi, easym1 The metal form fitting fuel tank protector # that fit my '04 M is # A-7285 CC 25A Homeouner
    I am no expert, but I have been there with my own TPS failure (properly diagnosed and fixed fast and free in 04) and read these posts and believe that the Throttle Position Sensor...the "no metal connection" to the gas gooser...all "by wire" sure sounds like the problem. If so, it has not been "fixed" over these years, or as electronics do, fails occasionally. If you turned your ignition off, waited two minutes and tried to go again, did it function properly? That is 80% of the time what a TPS failure does. JB
  • rpdrpdrpdrpd Member Posts: 36
    The dealer let me take an 07 SL AWD for the day yesterday; I noticed the same thing as you when I took my foot off the gas. Its as if the vehicle is coming to a complete stop rather quickly - "sudden deceleration". I asked someone I work with who has a 2-month old 07 AWD and she said the same thing happens to her. She loves her Murano, BTW.

My non-mechanical brain tells me its the CVT and just something to get used to.

Anyone else?
  • timbo4timbo4 Member Posts: 30
    Yes you are right about getting used to the CVT. When I got our 2003 I had a hard time getting used to the deceleration when coming up to a light. When the car dedelerated to less than 10 mph the CVT let loose & it seemed like the car would lunge requiring more braking. I noticed it for about 6 months until I anticipated the lunge. Now I don't notice it at all.
  • cpien304cpien304 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for your replies. I think you guys are right, it does need some getting-use-to for the CVT. As I've mentioned, this is my wife's car, but I had a chance to drive it last Friday, and it felt the car is running smoother, or as the way it should run. Most importantly, my wife felt the same way that the car is "coasting" better after letting off the gas. Maybe...we are just getting use to the CVT.
  • taxmanboltaxmanbol Member Posts: 1
    This power outlet thing had me baffled until I read your post (as well as a few others). I had already checked the one fuse I thought covered all 3 outlets and nothing. I didn't realize there were multiple fuses for the different power outlets (reading is fundamental). I checked a few more fuses and ding ding ding ding ding. OK so I now have power for my cell phone charger but I am worried about being prepared for the future. Apparently this is a known ongoing issue that I can expect to re occur. There are a couple spare fuses in the fuse box but I asked the dealer to just sell me a few spare fuses and they don't carry them in stock and we'll have to order them! Huh! Well, anyway you mentioned buying a pack of fuses. Did you get them from the dealer or through an auto parts store? And is there any difference "genuine nissan quality replacement fuses" and Wally World fuses?

Thanks for the post(s). You all just saved me the expense of a service visit to dealer
    The CVT is very smooth and seamless when on the acceleration phase, but on the slow down several jerks or lunges happen much more than the 3-4 or 5 speed trans. on most auto in the recent 10 to 15 years. The slow down is a real minus to this trans. The trans seems to be reliable but the control systems are reported to be troublesome. I hope the aftermarket suppliers are able to repair or replace the units at a more reasonable price than the dealers after all the warrantees have expired.
    Murano 03 with 30K, only problem TPS failure at 7K, recognized and fixed ASAP. Otherwise, fine. 18 city, 23 highway. I am reading the posts on slow-downs, including the post that reads "as if the vehicle is coming to a complete stop." I must comment that our Murano and our 01 Pathfinder, with entirely different transmission engineering, drive exactly the same, and I have tried to duplicate these "slow down" situations, but cannot. Our CVT is seamless on the accelerate and on the decelerate phase. The variability does trouble me.I would appreciate someone commenting on whether this is a new thing with 06-07 CVTs which might be due to "tinkering" to prevent previous failures of 01,02 and 03s, or different driver "perceptions". Any comments from the pros out there? John B
    Has anyone replaced their regular tail lights to the new LED lights for our Murano?
    Back awhile in this thread I think someone tried installing the LED tail lights & they didn't work properly. Seems they have a different power requirement as they were very dim. I never saw another post on the subject & it was never reported that the problem was ever resolved.
    Anyone had any problems with their sun roof. Opened mine today & it would not shut. It went back & forth, motor sounds ok, no binding. Got it almost closed but it stops about 4 inches short of closed. Air dam isn't binding. This Murano is nickel & diming me to death.
    timbo4,
    Thanks you very much. I'm hoping that at this point in time, someone was able to figure out the installation.
    OK I'll answer this post myself. Found service bulletin which cleared the problem. To reset sun roof memory all that is needed is to hold a sequence with the control buttons. Go to www.nissanhelp.com/Ownership/Bulletins.2003.NTB03.092.htm for help. This siye has helped me fix not only this sun roof problem but also problem with the drivers door locking without locking the car.
    Timbo, My MO s drivers door only locks by it self. I cannot get through to the details to fix it as per the web site given in your post. Is there a simpler site to reach these details. Thanks, Homeouner
    The service bulletin number is 05102a. The service bulletin gives you the part needed but doesn't give you installation instructions. The part costs about $130.00 & it is composed of the entire locking mechanism, including the auto lock actuator. I installed it myself in about an hour & it requires the removal of the inner door panel. This gives you access to the access plate which is held in place by about 8 bolts. You must also remove the window which was easier than I thought.

I haven't had the door ininadvertently lock on me since I installed the new part. The part has the "Renault" name on it. No wonder it failed. Not a Frenchy fan. Good luck.

If you have it replaced by Nissan please let me know how much they charge for labor to install this part. Link below will get you to the service bulletins. Any problems feel free to e-mail me.

http://www.nissanhelp.com/Bulletins/Murano/2003/1.htm
    I read your post over & I mis-understood your question. I think you wanted to know how to fix it. I couldn't find instructions either but there is another chat room that is monitored by nissan techs (see link below). You can post a question on how to install the part & I have seen the techs post illustrations & instructions from their technical manuals. Hope this helps.

http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/index.php
    Went to get gas this morning & found that I too have joined all the others who have not been able to open the fuel access door. Got access to the locking actuator by removing a bolt from the interior lining & then pulling the fabric & plastic liners back about 10 inches. The actuator is white & to unlock pull the pin (white pencil like pin) towards the back & the door is unlocked.

Checked Nissan parts & they want $85.00 for it. My fix is to unplug the actuator & keep it disabled for good. Glad this happened near home. I am going on a 9 hr trip on Saturday so this fix will prevent it from ever happening again.

This problem seems to be happening alot. Nissan should step up & fix it. My model is a 2003.
  • murano_ownermurano_owner Member Posts: 64
    I am sick and tired of accidently pressing the panic button on my keyless entry. Does anyone know how to disable it?
    I appreciate your help.
  • drmuranodrmurano Member Posts: 10
    I was thinking of replacing mine, but when you go to the Nissan site, they specifically warn that they cannot be used to replace conventional tail lights in the older Muranos
    I had this problem too! Just spray a little WD 40 on the pin and it will continue to work just fine. It tends to get stuck when the weather is real cold. Also, if you keep locking/unlocking the doors, it will eventually unlock. I was forced to do this the first time it happened because I could not make it home without some gas
    I had this happen to me as well. There is a Nissan service bulletin on this. I mentioned it to the dealer who previously accused me of unintentionally locking the doors. They saw the bulletin and fixed it under warrenty. Also, go to Wamart and get a thin key made for 89 cents to carry in your wallet. It will not have the "chip", so it can not be used to start the car, but it will let you unlock the car.
    The Murano has accelerometer sensors in it that detect deaccleration. If your going down a steep hill, you might notice that, as you take your foot off the gas, the engine RPMs go up to prevent the car from accelerating. This is more pronounced if you have the cruise control on. This is akin to downshifting. Regular automatics will allow the car to coast and not downshift to slow the car. As the Murano slows to around 5-10 mph, the accelerometer is no longer functioning, hence the perceived change in slowing down (the car is coasting rather than downshifting). It's easy to get used to and nothing to worry about. The sensors are high tech. Put your Murano in L (low), step on the gas, and acclerate to 80 mph. The engine will never over-rev, but you will get up to 80 in the low setting with the engine constantly churning 6500 rpm. Try this in a conventional automatic, and speed will be limited by the engine governer.
    I purchased the shop manual on CD rather than the print version because it's cheaper, and the print version is almost 5000 pages long. It's a nifty thing to have if you do stuff yourself. I just like reading it for all the techno stuff, which is really cool.
    I think the engine coolent thermostat is stuck open on my 04 MO W/ 40500 miles. Heater takes forever to get warm. Has anyone out there had this problem?
  • kst2kst2 Member Posts: 2
    Hello,
    I too have the noise when making a moving right hand turn on my 2003 SE Murano. Have you had any luck finding out what it is? The dealer had the car for 2 days and couldn't recreate it. It doesn't happen all the time with me either, which makes it hard to pinpoint to a mechanic. I'm hoping my local mechanic will be able to find it, but was looking for more information.
    Any information would be most helpful.
    Thanks so much,
    KST2
    Forgive my ignorance....but how often should I rotate the tires? I do about 70% around town and maybe 30% highway. I got my first oil change a little late, around 4800 miles. I just realized that I didn't ask them to rotate the tires (and they didn't suggest it). I am thinking it is time...Is it time? How much should a dealership charge me? I may take it Just Tires or somewhere I know will be quick. I did notice the maintenance bars were both reset to zero. Is it automatic that both the oil and tire bars get reset at the same time?
    The Murano takes awhile to warm up (for me, about 5-8 min of driving) before the automatic heater kicks into full blast. The heaters on Muranos never get that hot, so it takes awhile to get the inside really warm (up to 25 min on a cold subzero day). Thats the advantage of having heated seats. Conversly, the air never gets that cold. It seems that when they put in the HVAC, it was underpowered from the get go.
    Rotate the tires at 7500, oil change at 3500. Each reminder has to be reset separately (and manually. When they changed your oil, the mechanic probably set both to zero when he was trying to figure it out. Also, you can set the miles for each separately to alert you when you need service. If you have an NTB around, they rotate tires for free. If you go to Nissan, its about 60-75 dollars, since they claim that the tires need to be balanced after a rotation, which of course is just pure bull!
    I do have an NTB, right by "my" mall!! Looked on their site and they don't advertise free rotation...I'd almost feel guilty getting it free when I've never even been there before. They do have a coupon on the site, for 19.99 you get tire rotation, high speed spin balance and alignment check. I figured 19.99 would be the going rate, but I also believe I do not need balancing every time, so I'd take the free rotation if they really offer it. I am in South Jersey, I wonder if it varies by store. Thanks for the tip!
  • pf2001pf2001 Member Posts: 110
    Hi all,
    I was wondering what is the going rate for back brakes on the Mo? Mine are getting kind of low and I received a quote for $176 total(taxes, labor, and install). Is this reasonable?

Thanks.
  • fhrabetinfhrabetin Member Posts: 34
    Whoever does the brakes make sure the quote includes Nissan shoes. There MAY be a problem with non-branded shoes squealing or other obnoxious behavior such as pulling. This action occurs with non-branded Toyota pads/shoes.
    I think the free tire rotation is chain wide. Maybe you should call them or stop by. I was surprised the first time I went in for a rotation and got the bill for 0 dollars and 0 cents even though I had not bought tires from them before. My guess is they offer free services on the chance that you might buy something there. Unless your tires are out of balance, I'd just go for the tire rotation. They will also check your alignment for free. The last time I was there, it was out of alignment, so I had them align the tires, so eventually they did make money off me.
    Uggghh,

After answering the question on the fuel door, now mine is sticking again. From the manual, it seems like its either the relay (located in the cabin by the brake pedal), or the actuator which is the locking mechanism. Seems simple to test, I'll have to do it this weekend if I get a chance.