Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Murano Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• greg0290greg0290 Member Posts: 2
    My 2003 Murano has 36,000 km and has been great up until last December. Then it started to sound very rough when the engine was under load, going uphill, or accelerating. Car still accelerated properly. When stopped at the traffic lights there was a slight vibration in the gas pedal. Could also feel it in the seat.

Took car to Nissan dealer who said "no engine codes". Claimed it was the fan belts. Replaced the fan belts. Called to say that all engine fluids needed replacement. Replaced everything. Charged me $1005.

My son picked the car up and it was sounding almost the same as when it went in when he brought it home. I waited 3 days before I could not stand it anymore. Car felt like a 15 year old car. I had a J30 with the same engine which my son now drives and it feels much better. Took it back to the dealer who test drove it and said it was now 3 years old and I should expect it to start sounding rough.

Is this what a 3 year old Murano should feel like. I have read all of the posts and have not seen anybody with teh same symptoms. I have read the TPS but it has different symptoms. Anybody got any suggestions,
  • pf2001pf2001 Member Posts: 110
    I was thinking of purchasing the oem brake pads via the web and then take them to a shop to have the brakes changed. Does anyone know of a site that sells oem brake pads for the Mo?

Thanks.
  • anilkukrejaanilkukreja Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a 2003 SL Murano and I too have the same noise problem when making a right hand turn. The previous owner had taken the vehicle to the dealership several times and each time they replaced something such as Strut and other steering components but still haven't been able to figure our what exactly causes it. I am thinking of taking it to another mechanic but not sure if he will be able to pick it up. Did you have any luck on finding a solution. I would greatly appreciate if you could advise me.
  • fhrabetinfhrabetin Member Posts: 34
    I don't have an answer to this one but you might want to contact Car Talk (Click and Clack) on NPR. These types of questions are right up their alley. Call 1-888-227-8255 and see what happens. This is an on the air program so they will call you back, if they do decide to work on a solution, usually mid-week. Shows are broadcast on weekends on Public Radio. You could also access their web site, Car Talk-google search for address, and see if there is a solution there. :shades:
  • dardson1dardson1 Member Posts: 696
    Gotta say I am very impressed with this vehicle for the 3+ weeks I've had it. I topped off the tank after the first 100 miles, drove it another 250 miles, checked with a calculator (miles/fuel purchased), and happily got 20.3 mpg 95% around town. The trip computer was only .4 mpg optimistic (commendable).
    In spite of a slightly nervous ride over rough patches in the road, it is otherwise a delightfully smooth and quiet vehicle. Edmunds seems to hate the CVT but I find it smooth "as butta" and perfectly responsive.
    I'm a little concerned that the salesman/dealer stressed I keep to the 3 month oil changes. Is Nissan having engine sludge issues? I had a 2000 Toyota and remember well the commotion. (Never quite sure how that turned out, whether there was truth to it or not, and didn't keep the car long enough for it to matter.) A few years ago Consumer Reports did a report on vehicle oil changes and suggested 3k/3mo oil changes were wasteful and unnecessary.
    Love the car and plan to stick to the book, but just wondering why I got 3 reminders from the salesman to keep the oil changed. :)
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    but just wondering why I got 3 reminders from the salesman to keep the oil changed.

Perhaps it's just a courtesy and he keeps forgetting he already told you? ;)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    I'd probably do a 3000/3 month cycle especially if you do a lot of stop and go driving or drive in a dirty/dusty environment such as country or desert. Stick with major brand oil change places, don't have to use Nissan. Change your filter with each change of oil. I have an 03 with 84000 miles and no oil usage.
  • ljetteljette Member Posts: 19
    I get my oil and filter changed every 3000 miles.The dealerdhip will do it for free for the life of my car,as I bought it new,there.Check into to it.
  • baldwin3baldwin3 Member Posts: 121
    2005 Murano, 27K, wife car, school, shops, short trips..but at 5000 feet High Sierra with many snow days. Perfect except for TPS 7K diagnosed thanks to this site's advice, under warranty. City 19mpg, flat land highway 23, regardless of octane.
    Turning noise: a thought..sometimes on a hard tight turn an inside edge, usually rear, of tire, rubs against wheelwell housing. Have it with 01 Pathfinder because I put slightly larger tires on it, but can also happen with MO if underinflated and car is loaded. Just a thought...
    Rough idling: no excuses...engines should be smooth and quiet. Try adding fuel-injector cleaner to tank when it is just 1/2 full. Also, for that one half tank, go with the highest octane. If that solves it, add the injector cleaner at EVERY oil change and use the lower octane..which at 500 feet, is, definitely, not as smooth, at least for mine. Oil Change: 3,500 to 4,000 with new filter is probably adequate for city or towing. Cheapest way to avoid expensive engine fixes. I have used Oil Can Henry, Jiffy Lube and Lube Express as well as dealer at 5K, 15K and 25K and have never had a problem. Caveat: before you drive away, check the dip stick to be sure they remembered to add oil. That little detail can ruin your day. I have been there with a Chevy dealer.
    CVT: they work, are smooth and are becoming common transmissions for Nissan as well as other major brands. NEVER EVER let anyone "add" regular Automatic Trans Fluid to your Murano. It needs special Nissan CVT stuff at your dealer (every 30K).
    Tire rotation: 7,500 is a good number. This service is really necessary, as the front tires will wear faster, since they are the basic pulling power for MO. Tire stores charge nothing or very little, as they value you as a future customer. Once you purchase tires there, all rotations should be free. Balancing every 7.5 is not necessary at rotation, unless you have steering wheel vibrations. Balance and alignment if free, is great; otherwise do it when you buy new tires.
    Thanks to all who contribute to info on this site..it saved me on the TPS back in 2005, and helped get the famous tank shield which was a fun experience in corporate politics, and I got the metal version. All in all, MO is a neat vehicle...complicated and smarter than most of the dealers who "fix" it...or try to. John B...Twain Harte, CA
  • roadrunner70roadrunner70 Member Posts: 241
    i have been on this board since the very begining, and some of you may recognize my name.

this post is to warn everyone that they purchase the factory warranty at their own risk.

today, i brought in my 03 murano w/ 36,000miles since the brakepedal no longer went back and forth (up and down). just the accel works.

i have a nissan 10 year 70,000 plus gold zero deductible plan which clearly covers this component.

dealer says the repair not covered per plugging in the part number. you can look at another thread on this board, apparantely this is not an abberation or an isolated event.

the repair however is clearly covered. a call to nissan elicited that even if the part is not mentioned in as an excluded repair, it can still be excluded. this is scary stuff since in the end, if nissan doesn't want to cover the repair, you are stuck. since in my state a service contract is governed by strict laws, will refer this problem to the appropriate agency and also to the attorney general's office.

it will be repaired.

but beware, nissan is not honorable.
    accept it, they won't fix it.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    10 year 70,000 plus gold zero deductible plan which clearly covers this component

It does not follow that every component is covered just because it is "zero deductible." What, exactly, does the warranty document say?

To me, it sounds like a fairly minor repair. What is their proposed remedy?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    the zero ded.has nothing to do with the coverage. there is no remedy. they won't cover it, at least for now. it is not an excluded part or component, not even close. it just shows you how bogus and wastefull factor extended service contracts are.

i found out that this is not an isolated incident. sometimes going to another dealer remedies the denial. right now, i don't have time to test that theory. also, why should the outcome be different. that alone makes one suspecisous.

i spoke with our state's regulators today and what i was told is that often, excuses are made for non coverage.

it is either a purposeful attempt to avoid paying claims or a miserable example of how computer systems, even if mistaken are relied upon.

sadly, i belive it is the former since when i spoke with a nissan rep yesterday who should have been in a position to make a decison on this coverage, i was told, even if not excluded, it can be excluded. my call to that person was the opportunity to make it right. nissan is not honorable.

just for refernce over the last 10 years, i have had two other extended service contracts on two other cars, neither with the manufacturer. in both cases, claims were paid when appropriate. only one claim was initially denied, and when it was pointed out that it was a brake repair on a sunday and that the warranty company was closed, they paid that too.

hope that helps.
  • kst2kst2 Member Posts: 2
    After 3 trips to the dealer and finally getting a mechanic to come with me in the car while we drove on on-ramps and making right turns in a large parking lot, they finally found the problem in mine. It was the stablizer bar which had to be readjusted. Don't want to know why it moved in the first place, but am glad it no longer makes the noise making right hand turns.
    I had kept going to the dealer as I have the warranty coverage and while I had more faith in my local mechanic, I couldn't really afford to pay to pay out of pocket for any parts.
    Best of luck and try the stablizer bar.
    Thanks KST2 for your feedback. I will let you know after getting the stablizer bar looked at by the Mechanic.
    Dear KST2: Could you kindly assist me further by explaining what was done exactly by the dealer to help alleviate the problem in terms of Stablizer bar. Was the stablizer bar loose ?, was the stablizer bar replaced by the dealer ?, How exactly was the stablizer bar was re-adjusted. Anything more will help assist me in understanding the deatis. In my case, the previous owner had taken the vehicle to the dealership and the dealer said that everything was tight. I would sincerely appreciate your detailed follow up response to this one. Thanks.
  • greg0290greg0290 Member Posts: 2
    I don't expect them to fix it for FREE. I just want the car to run smooth and quiet again. Right now there is a booming sound and the engine is loud and rough and it is no longer pleasant to drive it.

Nissan seem to employee a fleet of apprentices who hook up to the diagnostic machine and if there is no codes they cannot fix anything. I just need to know what it might be so I can get somebody to fix it. I know it is not the 36,000 km on the engine as I have a J30 with the same engine that my son now drives and it feels much smoother and refined than the Murano does.

I thought that it might be timing or something but I am not a mechanic and would love to know if somebody had a similar problem and if they were able to get it fixed
  • timbo4timbo4 Member Posts: 30
    My brake pedal adjuster stopped working a long time ago. I suspect that a gear in the adjuster has broken. A gear in my seat adjuster also broke & that cost me $700 to repair. I can live with the pedal adjuster not working but I had to have the seat adjuster repaired. I don't think these items should fail as they aren't subject to abuse. Let me know your outcome & if you can the cost of your repair on the pedals. Thanks.
  • andytommoandytommo Member Posts: 33
    Ok, so the other front bearings have gone. So excited about another $400+ bill for that. My trunk handle has been sticking (normally at the most inconvenient times, like, when its 15 degrees outside, snowing and blowing a gale, your at the airport carpark trying to get your luggage out), so thats going to be about an hours labour to fix, apparently.
    But the best, the check engine light has been coming on and off intermittently for the last months, they checked it out, and apparently my car needs a new catalytic converter!! And they come in at around $1400 I believe?!

Anybody else needed this replaced? The guy at the dealer said it might go if you don't put premium gas in. Which, a. is the first I've ever heard about that potential problem, and b. is irrelevant in my case because i've had the car since new and only 2 or 3 times have I ever not put premium gas in.

I'm growing weary of the large repair bills for this car. Ok, I know i've put a lot of miles on it (93k in 2 1/2 yrs), but still. I think it may be time to get rid soon, which is a shame, I love driving it, and when it doesnt have any of these niggling problems, it still drives like a dream.
    -TCM replaced
    -Nav unit replaced
    -Radio unit replaced. Twice.
    -Alternator replaced
    -Fuses issue
    -Rattle from undercarriage
    -Transfer case replaced
    -Bearings x2
    -Catalytic converter

Im sure im missing others, but u get the jist! lol
  • mcapriomcaprio Member Posts: 9
    Had the mudflap plastic gas tank protecter installed and recently hit something while driving on a highway in clear weather. Whatever I hit went off my front tire and went right thur the protective shield and punctured my gas tank. I have an 05 murano with 16000 miles on it. The dealer will not cover the repair because they say it is considered damage. The repair cost 900.00 dollars to replace gas tank. Filed a complaint with Nissan Consumer Affairs that is going nowwhere, can't even get them to return my phone calls.I don't think this would have happen if I had the contour metal shield installed.Any help or advice would be appreciated.
    Recently had the plastic gas tank protector installed on my 05 Nissan Murano. Driving on a highway in clear weather conditions at appr. 60 mphs I hit something with my right front tire that in turn shoot back thur the protective shield and punctured my gas tank. Drove the car for another 60 miles home before I realized the tank had been punctured. Called my local Nissan Dealership to tow the car in. After looking at the car they said the repair would not be covered under waranty because this was considered damage. I have only 16000 miles on the car and the repair is going to cost 900.00 dollars to replace gas tank.Called Nissan Consumer Affairs and they gave me a case # Made 6 calls back to the person handling my case and she will not return my phone calls. I feel that if I had the metal contour shield that my gas tank would have never been punctured.Any help or advise on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
    I have had a few go a rounds with Nissan Consumer Affairs. They were close to worthless & offered no help for my problem. I guess the only thing that they will understand is that my next car won't be a Nissan. Maybe the French (Renault) have something to do with it. Japaness cars have won respect with their quality & dependability, not so with Nissan. I'll show my respect for Nissan next time with my $$$$'s going to someone else. :lemon:
  • homeounerhomeouner Member Posts: 145
    RE: post #s1778 and1779, call the NTSB to report that the mudflap tank shield is worthless. That news ought to lite a fire under there thick skinned a**es to get this miserable "fix" corrected. This is my last Nissan also!
  • whitallwhitall Member Posts: 190
    Did it make an actual hole THROUGH the shield?? If so, then I would think that should be covered as a defect, since it was designed to block such things, and obviously failed. Beyond that, I don't know what their legal obligation would be. I'd definitely do everything in writing and pursue a refund for your repair cost.
    It broke off a piece of the shield and made a razor like slice in the gas tank. I have the gas tank and filed a complaint with the NHTS.
    This is so sickening...several of us fought like heck for metal contoured protectors and got them...we knew right away the plastic shield was a joke. For my opinion: "If the shield failed to protect the tank, you have a case." Period. John B.
    Nissan consumer affairs heard my complaint gave me a case # and now they won't return my phone calls.
    At 27,000 all wear bars are gone...can probably nurse another 2,000 out of these original Goodyears, (which I thought would go 35K) but.... I went to Tire Rack.com to see what was available before going to my independent tire guy, and found only Goodyear, Dunlop and a Pirelli (which had 9/10 "would buy again"). It is SUV with aggressive tread, which I need in the mountains. I no longer see Michelin offered. Anybody out there have any other sites or brands...my dealer can order them IF they exist. Thanks JOHN B
    I tried Toyo through Les Schwab, a local regional tire outfit in the Pacific Northwest. They were a road tire vs. off road, with a slightly wider smaller tire fitting on Murano rims. Took them back after 3 days due to too much road noise and decreased mileage.
    Iam interested in a new set of tires for my 2004 MO W/ 43K Have lots of tred left. Of the three brands you named which one would be the quietest? The MO has a lot of road noise as it is, probley due to suspension design, would like to find a quieter set, could help keep the noise down. Any comments. Thanks.
    Homeouner...if you got 43K on the original Goodyears, and "still have lots of tread left", I salute you and don't even bother to look elsewhere, unless road noise can be guaranteed reduced. All the FWD gear up front in the MO, despite what is considered excellent soundproofing, DOES make cabin noise a lot worse than my old BMW or the hated 01 Audi A6...so a quiet tire without aggressive tread (like the Goodyear) probably is as good as it gets.
    Since posting, I have web-visited, in person visited: Toyo, Dunlop, Goodyear (original equipment...which for me gave the 29K...at best), Big O Tire store, Cooper (love them on my Pathfinder), Michelin, Pirelli, TireRack.com. and Wal*Mart.
    No 235/65/65R18 exists in Cooper (too bad) a great tire.
    Toyo: reviews were very unfavorable for ride, mileage
    Dunlop: reviews were good "Grandtrek SJ5 Ice and Snow"
    at $182 Tread not overly aggressive, but could be
    noisy just looking at it.
    Pirelli: Scorpion Ice and Snow: had reviews from "hate
    it" to "love it." $148 Again, tread not overly
    aggressive but the variations in reviews (TireRack.com)
    were very confusing.
    Goodyear: some have posted long mileage on this site for
    the OEM Goodyears, but my experience has been poor;
    but when new, they were great in snow and handled well
    And I gauge-tested them routinely and ran 35PSI.
    Michelin: surfaces as the best tire out there. It comes
    with raised white letters or plain black. Mileage
    reviews were excellent, as were snow, handling and
    low noise. Roughly an expensive $180 plus mount,
    balance and I would imagine, (for all brands)extra
    for the TPMS (tire pressure monitor system) if
    you have one. Not cheap, but I bet I can push 40K.
    So, I am going with Michelin for replacement, although WalMart will sell the Goodyears for about $135. I must tell you, my local WM has failed to be able to balance myself and three other friend's new tires purchased there in the past, so I'd rather not go there.
    For those of you who had good experience with GY, do it again. I just can't see smooth tires at 27K and drive around trying to get another 2,000....cause if it snows again, the MO will become a sled.
    Anybody else, who can find a good brand with reviews, we'd all appreciate comments. Unfortunately, this size is tough to get, and as a previous post noted, changing sizes is not cool. Thanks..JB
    from homeouner: Baldwin3, thanks for the run down on all the tires to fit my MO. My tires are more noisy because at about 11K the left side tires were beginning to feather on the inside. I got a free alignment at that time, but now at 42K the feathering really makes a drumming btwn.30 and 45 M P H. The right side has worn very nicely. At my VA. state inspection I will have them do a alignment if the tech. is any good??? you never know till its too far gone on the bad ware. The feathering showed up on the front left side to begin with and I thought that putting the front tire in the rear would even the ware. But no the ware pattern is set. Any way the right side is fairly quite. Thanks for the feed back. P S Can these G Ys be cross rotated(change rotation)the manual says yes, but the service Mngr. said no!
    Homeouner: amazing wear if those are originals. Sounds like that tire was either out of round, improperly balanced or camber/castor (alignment) was not perfect...so moving really just made it stay the same and wear down. All "rotations" now are just front to back, same side...fast and simple. However, not more than twenty years ago, real X rotation was done...L Front to R rear, etc. Since doing that makes the tire rotate in a different direction, some sources say radials do not like that. However, you are right..manual says it is OK. However, if inside wear on L front is a problem, moving it to right rear would put that "inside" on the outside...but the new direction of rotation is there...good question...anybody think tire bodies "get used" to the direction? Or is it just easier to go front to back, same side. I have my hunches...but will bite my tongue.
    What a piece of junk! I ran over a small item in the road & it tore the shield from the mounting pins. The shield started flaping in the wind. If the mount pins can't hold the shield to the frame, what good is it. Have filed a complaint with NHTSA & suggested that metal shields be installed instead of these worthless plastic shields.
    All we can hope for is that more people file complaints with the NHTSA..Nissan consumer affairs was no help and very rude to me. The representative I spoke with at nissan refused to let me talk to anyone above her she would not give me a name or number of district rep. said he was to busy to talk to me.
    We all said this would happen, with a rock, a bump or snow. The plastic is junk. An insult. I and a couple others beat on our dealers to install steel contoured tank guards...some paid for it, others beat hard and got it done for free. This is dealer/customer loyalty up front.
    For those of you: read posts 1425, 1427, 1584 on this topic.
    Again, the part exists: A 7285-CC25A "Protector Fuel"
    That was on my invoice. Don't let anyone tell you it does not exist.
    I share your frustration, Timbo. The plastic is a disaster waiting to happen, and frankly, not worth hanging down.
    Now we already have one case in which the Shield broke up and a piece of it punctured the tank...really nice.
  • njmedicnjmedic Member Posts: 18
    I had the same problem with my plastic tank shield and another shield which covers part of the exhaust system toward the front of the car. I pulled forward over a small pile of snow and the cover broke - for the third time! The design is faulty and I am NOT paying for replacement this time.
  • easym1easym1 Member Posts: 218
    Here in Canada, I was advised by Nissan that the plastic shield is the only one available here and if I want the contoured one, I have to order it from USA!! Nissan Canada plays hard ball..I will encourage our American friends to keep complaining to NHTSA...we don't have this kind of powerhouse here.
  • frank1492frank1492 Member Posts: 2
    As a potentially dangerous issue, the wipers on my 2006 Mrano stopped
    working during limited icing. By this I mean they could not fully
    retract into the wells and there were chunks of ice on the arms, but
    they were moving (not stuck) when they stopped. The next morning they
    were OK.
    I assume some sort of thermal overload? I need a *very complete*
    explanation on how to prevent this in the future, and what happened
    to begin with. The precip lightened up and I was able to get home
    but just barely. (It was dark.)
    If thermal overload, why did it take until the next morning to
    reset????? And what could I have done at the time (if anything) to
    facilitate the resetting?? (I did get out and clear all the ice to no
    avail. Also shut the car down and restarted.)
    Help much appreciated.
    Frank
  • ljetteljette Member Posts: 19
    This happened to me also,last year,on my '05.My husband insisted I keep the defrost on full fan whenever it's icy out.Keeps the wipers from icing up and then quitting.Hasn't happened to me again.
  • frank1492frank1492 Member Posts: 2
    The defrost was on full, believe me. I assume your wipers came back the next day? I need to try to isolate the cause-
    there is something specific that trips the breaker. Any Murano experts out there?
  • whitallwhitall Member Posts: 190
    It happened to my friend and I when we were out in her Lincoln. They were fine when we went in to eat at TGI Friday's and wouldn't work when we came out. THey didn't seem frozen, didn't seem like the motor was even trying. They came back on about 10 minutes later, when we were almost home...This was at about 34 degrees. Never figured it out. It was sleeting all day here that day. Point it, is may not be a Murano thing at all. Mine were fine.
  • mmmsmmms Member Posts: 25
    :( Well, with my "04 it was the door locks, locking themselves, now with the '07, it's the windows opening themselves when the vehicle is parked. Anyone else have an incident with the '07's doing this.

By the way, anyone know of any service bulletins on this?
    I don't know what type of device you have for opening your car but with my 03 I had the same situation until I realized loose change in my pocket was hitting probably the open button for a period of time causing all the windows to open, verified by the owners manual. Look at your situation and manual and see if a similar situation could be occurring.
    A few weewks ago a poster had comments about how worthless the Nissan extended warrentee was. I called the Hall Nissan dealer where I purchasrd the car new W/ an extended warrentee till 70,000 miles. My 'o4 now MO now has 43,000 miles. I suspected the thermostat was hanging open as the initial warn up was taking too long. The thrmo. & its housing are listed in the parts included in the extended warrentee. Hall told me that there in a $116.00 diagnastic charge to check the thermo. If it is truly defective the diag. cost will be covered along W/ the threm. replacement. If not found defective I pay the cost of the diagnostic charge. Should not the diag. test be charged to the extended plan and paid for by them. When purchasing the car and extended plan they told me that 3rd. party plans would not be accepted for repaires as well as the company plan. What are you posters experiences W/ similiar events. I will comfront thoes people soon about a fraud or my misunderstanding of the plan.
    I appreciate the reply. I had thought of that also. I do not have anything else in the pocket that I carry the Intelligent key, in. I also called Nissan to see if the "key" had any window function. According to them, it doesn't.
  • easym1easym1 Member Posts: 218
    This happens to me twice already in the past and I don't carry loose change or anything else where I put my keys. It's either on my right pants pocket ot my right jacket's pocket and the keys are loose inside both places. I got no idea how it can happen.
  • heckuvaguyheckuvaguy Member Posts: 4
    I had the same thing happen to me twice. I have a brand new 07 murano SL with 250 miles. I understand that there's a bulletin on it NTB03033, or something similar. has the dealer done anything for you?
    As a matter of fact, I took my vehicle to the dealer yesterday. I was going to leave it, but as I talked to the service writer, we discovered that the problem may lie with the key fob. If the right sequence occurs, and if the unlock button is held for 3 seconds more after unlock, the two front windows will open. This operation is buried in the owners manual, I had to look hard, but it is in the key section. I had the key fob in my right front jacket pocket with 2 keys attached. I removed the keys and the fob is the only thing I carry in that pocket. I am going to see if that indeed was the culprit.
  • pf2001pf2001 Member Posts: 110
    This is true. If you hold down the unlock button for 3 seconds, the front two windows go down. I do this in the summer time on my 04 Mo to let the heat out. Hope this helps.