Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Murano Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• roadrunner70roadrunner70 Member Posts: 241
    first of all, even with high milage, you should expect that certain things last. you have had a lot of repairs. i have driven all my last cars over 100,000 miles and never had so many problems and repairs. i believe that there are a lot of muranos out there with wheel bearing which will be a problem. mine with 36,000 miles is making a weird noise which, clearly is coming from the front end. bearing? who know, but i am not running back until it gets really bad and needs to be repaired.
  • fhrabetinfhrabetin Member Posts: 34
    I'm writing this message while awaiting delivery of 4 new Michelin's for my 03 Murano SE. I am thinking that if I had it do do over again I would not have gotten a Murano or an AWD vehicle. First a piece of the AWD transmission went out for $1600, the rear brakes recent replacement for $400+. I just had the studs removed 3 weeks ago and picked up a screw but ran the car at low speed 1-2 blocks and have excessive sidewall damage and so needs to be replaced. BUT, because I have good but NOT great tread on the other 3 I have to get 4 new tires-hence Michelin's as they have better sidewall. This is the second time buying a new set in 2-3 years, total cost ~ $1300. It's like the tires are magnets for screws and nails or is it just bad Karma? I usually didn't have to do anything before this except new tires every 45000 miles or so unless I had over 1,000,000 miles on a care/truck. This car is much more expensive to operate. Keep it on big city roads and you'll probably be ok, otherwise it seems like you take your chances. You pay for a very comfortable ride. :confuse:
  • sliceopizzasliceopizza Member Posts: 26
    I got over 57000 miles out of my first set of goodyears on my 03 SL. I haven't had any problems with my car except a few squeaks and the recalls...I feel lucky after reading all this stuff here.
  • sliceopizzasliceopizza Member Posts: 26
    My hatch handle was sticking also. Shine a flashlight in where the handle is and on top you'll see a spring in the center. It might be all rusty. Mine was, just spray WD-40 on it. Soak it and work it, it'll start working properly again.
  • baldwin3baldwin3 Member Posts: 121
    Murano Folks: Got 4 Michelin tires to match Murano measurements to replace Goodyear Originals which got 29,000 and were pretty bald at the end. $850 total with disposal, balancing, tax and cost. This tire is "supposed" to get 40,000 but here in the High Sierra, with rough asphalt and winding, tortuous roads, 35 would be just fine. As I posted before, there are at this time, FEW alternatives...for those of you who have had fabulous experience with OEM Goodyears...great going...59+K is incredible. However, Pirelli and one other, as I mentioned previously, are not special, and so you should stick to the reasonably priced Goodyears.I would love to know if the 59K Goodyear is "straight ahead driving" as I cannot even come close to that on our mountain roads.
    These Michelins, although they cost a man's monthly labor, are QUIET (to help an already unusually noisy cabin) and should be good in snow. I hate giving money to the French, but Cooper USA did not make this size (yet)...and for those who said they were "lucky" to have lots of Murano miles with no mechanical problems..well, just remember, only PROBLEMS appear for the most part on this site...my Murano is just fine at 29,000 and Consumer's Report still, for 2007 issue, rates Murano as a "Best Buy". So, there could, and are....a whole lot of worse cars out there for your driving pleasure...JOHN B
  • ssarjunssarjun Member Posts: 2
    Is Security System which provided by Murano is safe or not? Because I am planning install Security Alarm system to it. I saw many thefts are going on in my area.

Thanks
    Arjun
  • baybaybaybay Member Posts: 6
    Hello Everyone! (RE: Fuel Tank protector)

I need your help, I have provided my local dealer and my regular repair company and they are telling me that there are numbers missing from the part numbers from the part number others have shared on this site to get the better metal cover vs. the ugly, cheap plastic one put on the car by the recall.

Here is the number that I have: A 7285-CC25A. It is the middle section that is apparantly missing some piece.

I appreciate your help. I really want to get this installed before I have a similiar problem like others have discussed.
    Thank you!! :)
    Tires: I stand by my post #1789 as to ratings and price. I bought Michelins and they cost $850 with all the disposal, taxes, balancing, etc., but are QUIETER than the original Goodyears which gave me 29,000. However, other posters have had 50+ thousand miles on the Goodyears, and they should send a prayer every day to their State road folks...the Pirelli Scorpions are really mud/ice tires and until Cooper comes up with Murano tires, it is Goodyear and Michelin...but if someone has newer data, please post.
    Famous tank shield: Homeouner got hers/his and I got mine and on post #1427 I posted the number on my Nissan invoice. That was the number then and unless it has changed, anyone telling you that it is insufficient is disingenuous at best, or just ignorant and does not want to help you. Go to any Nissan dealer, get down on your knees and look under the new Muranos...they all have steel shields, just like mine and Homeouner's...and until they change the Murano dimensions, those shields will work. Push, press, argue and be insistent... Thanks John B
    I have found out that the west coast and east might have different part numbers as they are sourced form different areas of the world. Also, I forgot to mention that it is a 2004 Mur. Thank you. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
  • leslienationleslienation Member Posts: 41
    Hi! i had a 06 S AWD model I want to know, is there a way to upgrade my cd/radio system. Since now it just can play cd only, I would like to change it to play 6 cd/mp3 too. i lives in NYC. Any place can do it? Thanks!
  • dardson1dardson1 Member Posts: 696
    After my Murano sits over-night it seems to struggle to start for 4 or 5 seconds. Then it kicks in and starts perfectly. It acts as if it's not getting fuel for the first few seconds in the morning. Any thoughts? :confuse:
    I have noticed for many months now, a disappearance of posts concerning TPS failure and possible CVT failure...unless this is a fluke, it would appear that things have settled down. My 05 now has 30 K with absolutely no problems except the TPS at 7K and tank shield recall... I got the steel tank protector. Comments? John B
  • andytommoandytommo Member Posts: 33
    So as I was driving last week I noticed a rattling sound coming from somewhere behind me, to the right. When I stopped I hunted high and low for something that was loose....

C'mon, take a guess......

Yup, the one of the fuel tank protectors is loose and is falling off.

Anyone know if recalls come with a warranty?
    Was it the real deal or the plastic Hang Down Tom Dooley?
  • lwolf99lwolf99 Member Posts: 83
    My wife just purchased a 2007 Nissan Murano SL AWD. I have been reading about the (past) gas tank pucture issues, along with the various protective correction options.

Does the problem of potential gas tank punctures still exist with a new 2007 model? Anything I should check?

Thanks in advance.
  • easym1easym1 Member Posts: 218
    I hope that Nissan has addressed that issue by now. All those past recalls should not be an issue anymore on the 2007 models. I hope I'm right. If not, Nissan got a problem.
  • eugarpseugarps Member Posts: 1
    I test drove a 2007 Murano yesterday and loved it. But after reading some of the problems here, not so sure about it. Would you buy Murano again? I am very used to my no-mechanical-problems-ever Honda Accord, but would like an SUV and not too crazy about Honda's CRV or Pilot.
  • mike1111mike1111 Member Posts: 93
    I would buy again.I think by the 4th year the problems would be worked out.Consumer Reports still has the Murano as a best buy and i'm sure they have a larger sample group.There will always be problems here and there with any car i guess.I waited till 07 to buy and i'm glad i did.
    No. Consider other issues such as tires. They all have to have the same amount of wear for the AWD system to work. I one is ruined due to flat/sidewall damage etc. and a new tire has too much tread then you need four, not just one or two say for the front or back to be even. I've replaced 2 sets on an '03 with 85000 miles. Otherwise once the other bugs are worked out it drives like a dream with good mileage.
  • ljetteljette Member Posts: 19
    I have a '05 and I am going to buy another one next year.I love this car. But I had my fair share of problems.Actually only one problem.My air bag light. I had it in for service 10 times before the regional manager recommended the electrical harness be replaced.That took care of the problem.Then Nissan of North America sent me a nice check to make up for the trouble it had caused me!You bet I'm going to buy another one.
  • aneeseaneese Member Posts: 7
    Yes! Ihave had a problem with my passenger door lock not working and the rear trunk doesn't seem to work consistently but I love the Murano. It has lots of room, handles great and I like the way the transmission works. I have an SL with 36000 miles if you're interested cause I want an white SE. Anyone interested in a trade?
    I have an 05 Murano which had the tank protector recall; my dealer put on a steel protector which is now standard on 06 and beyond; I had a TPS failure at 7K which was diagnosed immediately, fixed under warranty and now...at 30 K have had nothing but great trouble-free driving in the High Sierra snow, heat and rain.
    YES. I would buy again, indeed, this is a lease and I will buy it at the end...with an extended warranty which EVERY modern electronic car needs...try $1,000 for a window motor + labor, etc. for Chevy to Honda.
    Our Murano has been bulletproof with the above exceptions...which have now been fixed and do not appear on later models.
    Yes, tires are expensive..but try any other vehicle with rims this large...18 Inch is expensive.
    I have buddies with Audi's and BMWs which "turn on them" every month..but they seem to love them despite mainly electronic and software failures. I am not a person who endures punishment easily....
    I'll stand by the Murano..mine at 30K.... and if it fails me, and my dealer becomes indifferent... I will tell this group immediately. JNB California
  • mmmsmmms Member Posts: 25
    I had an '04, in the dark blue. I now have an '07 in the Glacier Pearl. I really like this one so much more. I normally didn't care for "white" vehicles, but this color really has grown on me, it doesn't show the dirt as bad as the blue one did.
    The improvements they made to the '07 really make it a pleasure to drive. They made it quieter, better sound insulation, less road noise. I thought the back up camera would have been a novelty, but I really have found it beneficial, especially in parking ramps. The cosmetic touches really class it up. Yes I would probably look at another Murano.
    The only complaint I have had with our 05 has been the simple fact that cabin noise for front-seaters has always seemed excessive...tires, engine, etc are louder than my 01 Pathfinder, or the 02 Audi A6. If this has been addressed in the 07 MO, then, great...JB
  • dardson1dardson1 Member Posts: 696
    Before I buy, I check Consumers Report's reliability rating. Murano gets a gets an average which according to them is respectable these days. I check their customer satisfaction rating which is "better than average". I never fail to come here to see if the "problems" thread has a 1000 or 10,000 messages. 1800+ is modest for a vehicle at the end of it's life-cycle. Honda Pilot has 2500+ under maintainance and repair. Both cars came out in '03 I think.
    Although I suspect Honda drivers expect zero problems and are likely to complain in larger numbers over the slightest issue, I wouldn't worry about a Murano. Most of the complaints here are small issues and there is no drum-beat of failed engines or transmissions. MHO
    BTW, if you look at the Oydessy threads you'd never buy one. ;)
    Twas the plastic fuel-tank-protector-come-snow-plow one.

I think if they won't put the real McCoy on for me i'll just have it taken off completely. If I happen to hit a piece of gravel and explode, at least I'll have gone out in style. :shades:

Oh, btw, for various reasons, ahem, I decided to rigidly stick to all speed limits for a whole tank of gas (drive 80 mile roundtrip commute to work every day). Premium gas, 70% hwy miles, 90,000 miles on the clock. I drove 445 miles on 18.8 gallons - 23.7 mpg. I was pretty impressed. However, it was taking me an extra 10 mins to get to work, and i do so hate getting overtaken by big trucks, so back to normal this week.
    AWD transmission failure @ ~ 76000 miles after several attempts for Nissan to assess aberrant AWD ON notifications by dash lights. Couldn't figure out what it was and black box left no messages. Cost me $1400 dollars when it finally went out and no comment/nothing from Nissan when it had to be repaired-too bad. Oh well, too bad Nissan, I'm buying Toyota the next time-at least they give me the time of day.
    Why me? Ok, a rattly fuel tank protector takes second place now. I was driving in the middle of nowhere PA for work this afternoon, i stop at a stop sign, and when i go to pull away, i have no power. Even with the accelerator half way down to the floor, my murano was not moving. I had to completely put it to the floor to get it to take off from the stop sign. It accelerated at a snails pace, until it got to about 25mph and then suddenly shot away. VERY dangerous. But until I got it up to 25, if i didnt keep my foot to the floor, it just started slowing down. I pulled over, turned the car off and on again, but to no avail. It proceeded to do this for the next 10 mins until i reached my destination. I left the car for a couple of hours, and then when it came to drive home, it was fine. I have it booked in first thing tomorrow morning. Do we think this sounds like a TPS? However, mine is an '04 with 90,000 miles. Has anyone had a TPS replaced outside of warranty??
    That certainly sounds like TPS...exactly what happened to my 05 at 7K. The fact that when you turn it off, let it sit (and it "resets" or whatever) is diagnostic...or was for my dealer/foreman. A failed CVT transmission does not "get well" just sitting there. The fact you have an 04...and mine was 05...pretty much puts this problem right in the middle of the TPS failure group...You should have some kind of "check engine" light on now. No, I don't know out of warranty TPS cost...that is why extended warranty is almost essential keeping ANY of these newer, complicated, electronic cars. Good luck..really sorry to hear your story..hope you have an honest dealer. Keep us posted.
  • homeounerhomeouner Member Posts: 145
    My 04 MO W/ 43,800 miles and 40 months since new had been cranking a little slow. Today had one start up very slow. The battery voltage was 12.35. A jump start really spun it over. A couple hours on a charger gave the battery new life,but W/ a few minutes load W/ lights, wipers and AC motor brought it down to where the motor would not turn over A new group 35 battery, very same dims. seems OK. Srarter terminals were bright and tight and charging voltage was 13.6. Wish me luck.
    Sounds like an alternator problem.
  • nikeshoxnikeshox Member Posts: 4
    I have a 06 Murano. I have been hearing a loud ticking noise coming from under the car while the car is idle at traffic lights or put into park. Has anyone experienced the same type of problem? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
  • homeounerhomeouner Member Posts: 145
    That original battery in my MO apparently had a short life. The voltage and amperage are normal on the alternator. The new battery in for two weeks and very strong. I cant remember the warantee on the orig. but the new ones at the dealer have a 5 yr. warantee like most after market battery s.
  • michaelscaimichaelscai Member Posts: 75
    I was quoted about $300 to replace the faulty motor mount.. (was told only one side is bad, the other side is good) is that a good/fair price? I haven't got a chance to get to that yet.

The mechanic demonstrated to me a click noise when accelerating? said that's due to the motor mount being bad.
  • whm1whm1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a vibration in my '03. Dealer replaced the engine mount under warranty. This did not fix it. Next they replaced the transmission under warranty(I have 53,000 miles). They had trouble downloading the software to the trans. but finally got the car back. The vibration seems worse now. Between about 20 and 45 mph under gentle acceration there is a vibrating hum in the steering wheel, seats and body. Feels like a massaging seat.
    I replaced my tires last week after 47,000 miles on the original Goodyears!I could have gone a another couple thousands miles but I picked up a nail in the back left tire.Leaving to go to the mountains this week so figured I shouldn't take any chances.I checked everywhere and then went to Goodyear and they did better than match the best price.Walked out of there spending $600.I'm happy.
    Your incredible mileage only proves the point: good roads, straight-ahead driving and good habits equal good mileage. Your Goodyears did double what mine did, and winding mountain asphalt roads and tight turns with school-home-store trips wore mine out so much faster. Your post is good for all as it shows brand names and $$$ up front do not matter as much as driving habits and available road conditions. Thanks....JNB
    A repair shop told me my motor mount is bad, but said they usually replaces all four motor mount instead of just the one that's bad. Does that make sense? Can I just replace the one that's bad?
    Yes it does make sense. I have an 04 Murano, just over 90,000 miles and at 76,000 I had the right mount replace as well as two lower arms... did not replace the other mounts. Regret not doing so. Not only for the hassle as each one is a five hour leave my car with them proposition and only 8 hours to replace all of them. Then there is the economy of scale getting them all done at once. It is cheaper. So, now the front mount has broken. The stress that each other mounts have to take for the one that broke causes the others to take on the load which obviously is not good for them. Keep in mind for me, the others were not broken when the right was replaced. Your garage is giving you the recommendation I wish I would have gotten even though the expense is not comfortable.

Good luck. I was going to check out and send a post myself if anyone else has had this experience. Sorry your going through it but I suppose it is good for all of us to know we are not alone.
    thanks for the reply, I will check to see if I can get a reduced price for 4. I was quoted $1400 or so for all four at this shop!!

I bought my 03 murano used with 59k miles, was told the mount was bad last year but never got to it.. a little disappointed that car needs motor mounts at less than 70k miles. My 2000 toyota solara it replaced with 127k miles hasn't needed anything other than routine maintenances.. very disappointed at nissan quality to say the least!
  • whm1whm1 Member Posts: 2
    My car is under warranty even though its '03. They only replaced one mount at the time. Then a transmission and today its back in for the same problem. Seems worse after the transmission change. Gas pedal vibrates in a way that it gives your foot the tingle. We'll see what they come up with this time. Maybe they should have done all 4 mounts. I hear they are some sort of high tech liquid filled mounts.
  • timbo4timbo4 Member Posts: 30
    Many who have had transmission changed in this blog have stated that it didn't fix their problems. I wonder how many Nissan has changed due to poor trouble shooting. At $6,000 a pop (a price that has been stated in this blog) I would be terribly upset if I had this work done out of warranty. Does anyone know if after market trans. shops are working on CVT's yet?
  • leslienationleslienation Member Posts: 41
    I had a 06 S AWD model 14K Mile and I only had it for 8 months.
    This is the story. I was driving to my mother in law house on saturday afternoon. When I almost get there (Maybe 10 block away to her house) My car die down the power got cut off w/ no warning and I cannot restart it anymore. Therefore, I need to call AAA and ask for a tow truck to come and tow it to the Nissan close to her house. The dealer indicate that is the fuel pump problem. Good thing they can fix it w/in the same day and I need to do a 1 year service from them. If not, the guy said he is not sure it is under the warranty or not. Therefore, i need to do a $300 service from them. Actually, Now When i think back it is kind a rip off. Does anyone know what cause the fuel pump went bad? And how does it happen? It is almost a brand new car. Not even a year, the car broke down. I am so afraid it will happen again on other stuff later. I think I lost my faith on Nissan. My old car Civic I had it for 5 years before this one. And I had no problem at all. My next car won't be Nissan anymore. :sick:
  • emc17emc17 Member Posts: 26
    :D I have an 07 Murano and since day one the brakes squeal on reverse when cold. I want to know if its worth to take the car to the dealer and have them work on the brakes to reduce the noise. Has anyone done it and be satisfied? Or the noise returns after awhile. Otherwise, brakes work fine.
    Thanks.!!!
    I rented an 06 last year for a trip to Indiana and the next morning the brakes squealed like crazy.I bought an 07 and for the fist three months no squeal at all.Now I get a slight squeal only evey now and again.It's not enough for me to take it back BUT if it gets worse I probably will.Eveything else has been great.
  • linymomlinymom Member Posts: 11
    I bought my '06 new and the brakes squeal whenever there is the slightest dampness. I just assumed it was because they were new - now I'm wondering if I should bring it in. It hasnt gotten worse but it is loud (and embarrassing!).
    From what I have read on the Murano this is a known issue.I think i read something about it being the front brakes and them having to turn the rotars or replace the pads.If it's loud I would take it back asap.Like I said the 06 we rented was very loud the next morning.The 07 we bought is just a slight squeal that you can only hear with the radio off and if you're listning for it.I can live with that but if it get to be like the 06 I will rush it back.
    i bought my '05 brand new and every time it is wet out the brakes squeal. It is loud but goes away after the brakes heat up.
  • emc17emc17 Member Posts: 26
    I have read many people that have done a brake service from Nissan and the noise has come back after a few days. I would rather not touch the factory installed brakes unless this noise means that the brakes are wearing faster or will fail sooner.
    I have had my 07 Murano since Feb and it's been great but here rencently I've noticed something.When I first bought it when I would hit the lock button on the intelligent key the horn would sound.Now the horn don't sound but the doors still lock.When I drive the car I drive with the gas milage screen on so I can keep track and get the best MPG.Someimes I'll will look at the screen and it will be on the maintinece screen all by it's self.I'm more than 2,000 miles away from any maintence.Does anyone else notice these things and should I be concerned about electricial problems down the road or are these just minor glitches?