Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Murano Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• aneeseaneese Member Posts: 7
    I had the same problem. If the passenger door isn't unlocked the trunk won't open. My door slowly started to not unlock and was intermittant until it finally stopped working completely.
  • cjguarinocjguarino Member Posts: 1
    Our 2005 Murano (19,000 miles) suddenly developed a seat problem...the vertical back is 'twisted' so that the right side is further forward than the left side...dealer states there dosen't seem to be a problem...they did repairs per their latest bulletin on the base, but no improvement to driver's back seat alignment!
  • ljetteljette Member Posts: 19
    I didn't even know they had a bulletin on the base. I just had the base of mine fixed a little while ago. The vertical part of my seat is also 'twisted',but I think the left side is just leaning downward more,probably due to getting in and out of the car. Poor workmanship,certainly shouldn't happen on a car with only 19,000 miles! My dealership considers everything normal wear and tear. I would suggest calling Nissan of North America. They have been very responsive to me for past problems.
  • mcapriomcaprio Member Posts: 9
    This is amazing timing on this post.I just went to get in my 2005 murano and the drivers seat was like a rocking chair.I tried to look underneath and it looks like the weld failed.I guess this is covered under warranty.Any info on the bulletin and were to find it would be helpful.
  • ajm6ajm6 Member Posts: 1
    We just started having a problem with our drivers side seat. Only the left side will move forward and back, the right is stuck, so now the seat is crooked. We lease and only have 47,000 miles on it and the dealer won't even look at it without charging us $150. Anyone else w/this problem?
  • timbo4timbo4 Member Posts: 30
    Had this problem with my 03. A small plastic gear the turns a worn gear cracked & produced the same problem that you have. Tried to order this small gear & Nissan said I had to replace the entire seat frame which included everything that the seat cover goes over(electric motors, wire harnesses, frame). Cost.........$520 for the part & $150 labor to install. My complaints to Nissan USA was of no help (just out of warranty). My argument was that this part should not have cost so much for such a small part. They won the war by not providing any help but this has tarnished my opinion about Nissan & I will not buy another Nissan product as a result.
  • dolson56dolson56 Member Posts: 1
    Hi-

I have the same problem- all 3 outlets not working and the fuse is OK. I checked the fuse with a meter. I used an LG charger for a long time with no problems and also a Garmin charger from time to time. Any advice is much appreciated.
    Once again(for the 13th time) my air bag light is back on,blinking to drive me crazy!Last time I brought it in for this problem they put in a new electrical harness and I thought it was finally fixed. Apparently not. Does anyone have any advice? I don't think I've seen a similar problem here.
  • roadrunner70roadrunner70 Member Posts: 241
    i have done many brake jobs. i tried to remove the front rotors and they were stuck solid. anyone have a similar problem with the murano rotors and if so how did you get them off. i was planning on removing the caliper and pads early one morning and spraying liberal amounts of liquid wrench into the space where the hub is to the extent i can get it in there. any idea? thanks. rr70
  • whitallwhitall Member Posts: 190
    Haven't noticed the rear braking squeal in a while, but I do have a brake noise when stopping normally. It usually starts when I get down near 30 mph and squeaks until I am closer to 15-20 mph. Stops from speed under 30 don't seem to cause it. It isn't really a squeak, it is not that high pitched, but it is clearly audible. The noise reminds me of when the cicadas (bugs in the trees) are giving a concert in the summer

I have an 06 SL AWD that is 14 1/2 months old and has close to 10,000 miles. I'll have them check it at next oil, unless someone thinks it should be checked right away.

Anybody else have this problem?

Otherwise, no problems in the year since my mystery roof leakage was finally fixed (that was a saga!)
  • michaelscaimichaelscai Member Posts: 75
    I was driving back home and all of sudden the murano won't accelerate when I hit the gas pedal, and when it does, it accelerates in a jerky motion, like suddenly start then slow down, this will repeat a few times, until I get up to speed, then it seem to be a bit normal until I get to the next traffic light. It has a very rough time to accelerate when I come to a complete stop or at low speed, it would hesitate, then goes, then slows down like it's losing power. (when I get up to speed, seems to be relatively normal), also hearing a clunking sound from underneath the car.

Is my transmission failing? also had one engine mount replaced a few months ago, coud they have messed up something?
  • easym1easym1 Member Posts: 218
    I've seen problems here that points to transmission but ends up being TPS. You may want to check that one out first.
  • sljmodadsljmodad Member Posts: 1
    My Nisson parts department could not find this part number; any other number on you invoice?

Dealership says part should begin with a NI?!
  • michaelscaimichaelscai Member Posts: 75
    turns out it was just some minor issue with the air intake, my mechanic straightened it out in about an hour and charged me $45, it's running nicely again :)
  • vctauvctau Member Posts: 6
    Were you able to find the noise and fix it? I have the same issue and its driving me bonkers!! The dealer says its all that cheap plastic!
  • vctauvctau Member Posts: 6
    I can hear this rubbing/sqeaking noise that is sometime loud enough to be a rattle from the driver door. I suspect its coming from the from the door rubbing against the frame. The dealership cant locate it either! Does anyone have any experience with this?

Also, can someone show me how to remove the front door panel. I'm going to try and go in there!!
  • berg32berg32 Member Posts: 56
    My tire guy recommends Hankook Ventus RH07 for improved performance; Michelin Cross Terrain for quiet; Toyo Proxes; or original Goodyear Eagles. He says Hankook not good for snow. Anyone try Hankook?
  • mekunsel1mekunsel1 Member Posts: 3
    I've got the Yokohamas which have been much better than the original Goodyear Eagles for snow (do a search for my user name to see original post). My wife said she did get some slip on rain on highway recently (but we have VDC system, so I am not concerned).

Sorry - don't know on the Hankooks.
  • bogdaikibogdaiki Member Posts: 1
    I bought a used Murano a few days ago and had almost the same problem as michaelscai. Took it back to the dealer to fix, but next day he said it's too expensive and if I want he can give me another car from his lot or my money back. I took the money. Now...I really like the Murano's looks and feels - it seamed powerful and smooth. But now I'm scared of all the horror stories I read on nissanmurano.org - many people say they had this same problem with loss of power when accelerating from a stop. Most of them were told it's the transmition and it has to be replaced. But what if all had just the same minor problem with the air intake or what not?
    Michaelscai - can you tell us in more detail what the problem actually was?...
    Thanks
  • roadrunner70roadrunner70 Member Posts: 241
    double up a business card and put it in between the door panel and the door up near the top. see if that helps. its a known problem. rr70
  • mbrinkmembrinkme Member Posts: 2
    My 2006 Murano does not have an option for the door locks to automatically lock when I put the transmission in "Drive" nor does it automatically unlock them when I put the transmission in "Park". The dealer said that this cannot be programmed, but on every car that I have owned this is a standard feature. It drives my wife crazy! Any help/ideas.

Also anytime I put any packages or items inside the car, they tend to rattle like crazy no matter how I secure them. Is the ride that stiff? With no packages in the car there are very few, if any, rattles or other noises. It sure is annoying.
  • lcinlblcinlb Member Posts: 1
    I also have a 2003 but it has 57,000 miles. Was just informed today that I need new motor mounts as well as an oil cooler and an O-Ring. The dealer quoted $1400 for this! Yikes. I have already had to replace the radiator and suspension this year. The lesson is to NEVER buy the first model year of a car. I can't wait to get rid of it!
  • jkelly99jkelly99 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 03 marano and need to replace a tail light. Did you find out how to get to the bulbs?
    thanks.
    Jim
  • dardson1dardson1 Member Posts: 696
    I took my 07 in last week to get a fix for the loud squeak when backing. Service guy told me this was a problem Nissan had not yet solved but could do a temp fix. Per the paperwork they replaced both front disk pads. Result was absolutely no change as if they had done nothing. My gut feeling is that it is coming from the back, not the front. Anyhow, anyone had any success correcting this issue? It certainly doesn't seem like this ought to be rocket science.
  • mbrinkmembrinkme Member Posts: 2
    Brakes pads often accumulate a bit of "varnishing" if they are not used in hard braking. The only way to easily remove this varnish is to get on a straight stretch of road without traffic and really stomp on the brakes both in forward and reverse at about 20 mph or more. Unfortunately, the anti-lock feauture will not allow the brakes to scrape off this varnish as well as would be the case with non-antilock brakes, but it will help. Try it but use caution to avoid traffic and obstacles.
  • pcdc518pcdc518 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 03' and I hate it. Since I purchased the car I have replaced 2 alternaters, had trouble with the electrical and in July of this year, I had to have the transmission replaced. Now I just took my car in again because it is leaking, what looks like, trany fluid!! Go get it checked!!!!! I was in the middle of a busy intersection when it died on me. The only way I got it out of the middle of the street was I kept going back between park and drive to hopefully catch a gear.
  • homeounerhomeouner Member Posts: 145
    Many posts on the tranny of the MO., and the high cost at dealers if out of warentee. Will the independent trans repair shops do work on them?? I think Nissan and Jatco built a factory in Mexico a few years back to supply themselves and anyone who will use them. troubled units are not repaired at the dealership but sent back to some central location for inspection an or replacement, taking a long time. You would think to speed up the exchange a number would be on hand for a timely replacement.
  • stacyshousestacyshouse Member Posts: 7
    I bought the 2007 SL murano in August of this year. From the day I bought it I heard this loud screeching noise comming from what sounded like the brakes. It only makes this noise when I back up and turn the wheel. I've taken it to the dealer 2 times. They replaced the front break pads the first time and explained to me that its was normal for the Murano to make this noise & that Nissan had designed a bad breaking system. They tried to assure me that it wasen't hurting the car and I shoud just contact Nissan Directly if I needed to complain. I did complain to Nissan directly from thier website. Nissanmotors.com Well, a whole lot of good that did. The complaint department set me up with an advisor from the "Dealership"
    where I bought it. Ya know, the same prople who told me to contact Nissan directly. Oh well, Guess I'm stuck driving with this normal abnormality.
    Stacy :cry:
  • emc17emc17 Member Posts: 26
    Maybe there is hope in the future. I bought my 07 in May and I had the same noise in my brakes. Suddenly after I took a trip in August for about 10 days and the car was parked for that period, my brake noise disappeared by itself. My car had about 1800 miles then. I have not had that screeching sound since then. Never took my car to the dealer and still have my original brakes. Maybe yours will disappeared by itself also. Good luck!!! :)
    I have always called Nissan of North America when I needed to speak with someone about a problem with my Murano. I've had very good results. Their number is 1-800-647-7261.
    that seems about as good a hope as any, lol. . .the service guy said Nissan was working on the problem. It ain't the end of the world and I suppose we should be happy it's not an issue when moving forward; nevertheless, I back up 10-12 times a day and my Murano never lets me forget about it's shortcoming. It sours the deal a bit as it's a pretty nice ride otherwise. Considering the level of automotive sophistication these days, I would think a brake squeak would be fairly minor stuff.
  • gary67gary67 Member Posts: 1
    HI
    I HAVE HAD THE TRANSMISSION IN MY 2004 AWD REPLACED TWO TIMES IN 34000 MILES---STARTING TO ACT UP AGAIN--SURGING WHEN YOU ACCELERATE FROM STOP OR PASSING ANOTHER VEHICLE--DEALER TELLS ME THAT THEY HAVE NOT HEARD OF ANY OTHER PROBLEMS WITH THE TRANSMISSION IN THIS TYPE AUTO--WOULD ANYONE WITH THE SAME TYPE PLEASE SEND ME A RESPONSE
  • bsmovebsmove Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 Nissan Murano SE. I am interesting in switching my current tail lights to the newer (2006-2007) LED ones. Is this possible?
  • bsmovebsmove Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the reply. I'm disappointed, but now I know.
  • eoceoc Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2006 SE AWD and have been to the dealer for this same problem 4 times. My neighbors have even complained that the noise is so loud when I back out of my driveway. Nissans response "Oh it's a Murrano". Is this a common problem that they are not addressing? :cry:
  • newmedianewmedia Member Posts: 15
    2007 awd ..i have same noise when in reverse..i am happy with the car , handles well in snow so far since i bought it 1000 miles ago...
  • mike1111mike1111 Member Posts: 93
    I have a 07 SL AWD with 17,000 miles on it. The brakes started making noise at about 5,000 miles and it was annoying till about 12,000 miles. Since then it has pretty much stopped except for once in a great while while.

I never took it back to the dealer cause I knew there was'nt much they could do. I had read the complaints about the Murano and the brake noise prior to buying one. The 06 I rented for a long trip last year was REAL bad with the brake noise but I loved the car so much I had to buy the 07 regardless of the noise.

Hopefully with time the noise will stop with your Murano as it did with mine.
  • homeounerhomeouner Member Posts: 145
    To post #1934, replace tail light bulbs. The red lens has two tabs on the inboard side. With a flat plastic blade prying next to the tabs will cause them to un-snap.. The outside edge tabs will release when the inboard side is lifted. All the bulbs are there.
  • eoceoc Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the response. All I can do is hope it goes away some day.
  • mike1111mike1111 Member Posts: 93
    I've read reports where people have had Nissan replace the brakes and thats seemed to help. I've seen reports where it did'nt help at all. It is a problem that you would think they would have fixed by now but they have'nt.
  • baldwin3baldwin3 Member Posts: 121
    Here is what I understand. Brakes automatically "adjust" when backing up in all cars; that is, they tighten to a specific point, whereas in the "old days" as brake pads wore, you just lost braking power. Now, I also understand that the tolerance or distance between pad and rotor is very close, indeed, actually touches a bit. All this squealing going backwards is the re-set. Dealers/Nissan mechanics should know that. My 05 has NEVER had brake noise, indeed has had zero defects and at 30K I am keeping it, and bought a Nissan Platinum warranty for $1,500 covering me until 7 years or 100,000 miles, whichever first. It is disappointing to hear Murano owners who didn't get excellent products, but guess what, this forum is for complaints only...the thousands (I assume) who have had great cars never punch in. Would like to hear another automotive brain discuss the "reset" of brakes when backing up....John B.
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    I may be wrong but I thought only drum brakes automatically adjusted when reversing.
    Considering how very complicated modern vehicles have become, it's hard to believe something as low-tech as brake noise is so difficult to solve for Nissan. I like my SL but I get a reminder every time a back up the car isn't perfect. It squeaks in reverse consistently. . .when it's cold it can be mighty loud. Too bad. Who wants a brand new car that's an embarassment to back out of a parking spot however good it is otherwise?
  • pbeanspbeans Member Posts: 7
    Hi,

I have a 2007 with the same problem, I just left the dealership a few minutes ago after having my first service done. They looked into the brake squeal issue and there is a technical service bulletin issued by Nissan for the problem. They have to order some type of shim kit from Nissan which they advise will take care of the issue. They didn't stock it so I am waiting for it to come in later this week. But it appears that the dealer and Nissan were aware of the issue.

I agree the squeal is very loud.
    I'm on the my dealerships list to be called when Nissan has a fix for the brake problem. Please let us know if you get a fix. I don't feel all that confident they will call. It drives me crazy. I want to be among the first to get it resolved.
  • baldwin3baldwin3 Member Posts: 121
    Pbean did everyone a favor by finding that service bulletin/recall notice. How interesting that so many have posted their dealerships were in the dark about the screeching brakes, and also that the problem seems to be in the newer 07 models as review of posts doesn't reveal it in earlier cars, such as my 05...Good job finding that!
  • horsinroundhorsinround Member Posts: 9
    Anybody have problems getting their back weels off? I have an '04 SLAWD thatI'm trying to change the breaks on and can't get the wheelse off no matter what I try!! Fronts came off like a piece of cake. :confuse:
  • oneionei Member Posts: 11
    Murano Owners, have any of you been having issues with your sun visors? I have a '04 Murano SL with Touring Package & 36k miles. 3yr warranty went off last April, yet I am about to be going through my 3rd sun visor. The visor will not stay up. Hit a bump & they drop. This last one that I have received, just drops about halfway down and stays. Are others having any issues? I stopped at my dealer yesterday and they don't come right out and say it but lead me to believe that this has been a problem with this part. Grant it, in Arizona you need to use the visor and rely on it heavily. It probably does get a little more use than some states, yet I think they should hold up a little better than this.

:shades: