Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Murano Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• laura26laura26 Member Posts: 6
    I had the same problem with my 2005 Murano SE. The dealer replaced the visor for free. So far, so good.
  • andytommoandytommo Member Posts: 33
    The rattling, I'm going to say with 90% confidence, is probably your handbrake cable. Have it tightened. (which should last for a couple thousand miles). Driving through the pot hole strewn streets of Philly & NYC my undercarriage rattles like a 30 year old car, and has done since day 1.They've tightened it a bunch of times, it works for a bit, then comes loose again. I give up now. Most of my driving is hwy so it doesn't bother me that much.

If I am driving through the city and my windows are down and I can hear it, I just put the E-Brake on a couple of notches and marvel at such a simple fix! Plus if you do that and the rattle does disappear, you know what the problem is!
  • andytommoandytommo Member Posts: 33
    Here's the latest to add to the collection of my 2004 SE Murano ailments. Unfortunately it's one of those intermittent things that the dealer can never replicate and I swear think you're making it up.

3 weeks ago I pulled onto the hwy on the way home, got up to 75, and immediately the whole car started vibrating and there was a deep rumbling coming from somewhere. I was worried, it sounded/felt like I was getting a flat tyre. I checked the tyre pressure monitor, all was fine. I slowed anyway to about 60, but it didn't go away. 4 miles later it just disappeared and all was fine until 3 days later when it did exactly the same thing. The car was due for service anyway, so took it in and mentioned it. They couldn't replicate it and couldn't see anything wrong, but i needed 2 new tyres and an alignment anyway, and they said theres a good chance that would fix the problem, even though they couldn't find a problem.

First day was fine, but then it came to leaving for a 1000mile round trip over a weekend for work, and yes, it came back. Every time I would get on the hwy, it did it. If i pulled off to stop at services, as soon as I got back on, it would vibrate and rumble, and then disappear after 3 or 4 miles. For 3 solid days it did it. Then I got back here, and it stopped. Now its back to being intermittent. Tyre pressures are all fine, it was just aligned, i have new tyres at the front.

Over the past 5 days though, I think its only done it once. The only thing that has changed has been my driving habits. I'm on one of those 'lets see how many miles i can get off this tank of gas' things, and even though 80% of my driving is hwy, I'm being as gentle with it as possible. I still get up to 70 on the hwy, but I'm not getting the vibrating. But unfortunately, if the problem is related to how the car is being driven, all I can think of is a transmission issue??

PS If anyone cares, I've got 350 miles off this tank so far, and the computer says I can get another 120 out of it. It's doing pretty well overall for having 124,000 on the clock.
  • jmaxejmaxe Member Posts: 198
    WOW, I am pleasantly surprised. My Nissan service manager is going to "goodwill" the $650 repair work for the two front door locks (meaning no cost to me). I would certainly have bet against that. Here's hoping there are no snags come Monday when the car goes in for the work.
  • eric312eric312 Member Posts: 71
    I got a voicemail message from my dealer about 2 weeks ago who said that there is a possible recall on my 2007 Murano S and I should call them back. When I called I was told that based on my VIN recall does not affect me.

Today I got a call from the same dealer who said that they have a special lease termination program (i am on my 6 months out of 39) and that if i end my lease they will give me $1000 off the new lease on 2009.

Does anyone know what the recall is about?
    Sounds strange that dealer is offering such a deal. Are there some problems with 2007s and they are trying to bring them back? Are 2009 not selling at all?

Any guesses.
  • stacyshousestacyshouse Member Posts: 7
    I haven't heard of any recalls on the 2007. I looked up recalls online and there were none to speak of. What city do you live in? I would check with my local dealers website and or other dealers websites to see if they have any other incentives. Sounds like they just want to sell you the 09 murano. :lemon:
  • eric312eric312 Member Posts: 71
    I am in New York city.
    I tried Googling recalls for 2007 Muranos but did not find anything.
  • shirneenshirneen Member Posts: 5
    I replaced my Good Year Eagles on my '04 Murano with 70,000 miles on them. If it had not been December in NE, I could have gone for several more months, but was afraid of an early snow storm. The dealer where I got my tires could not believe the mileage that I got. Rotated them faithfully every 7500 miles. Tires were great under all driving conditions,
    Yesterday my "Service Engine Soon" light came on on my '04 Murano SL AWD. Didn't want to panic, but I had been reading this site and began to think of all the bad things it might be and I had only 300 miles left on my Extended Warranty. The dealership was very cooperative to get me in because of the warranty issue. It turned out to be the fact that where you put the fuel in the car and the neck that goes into the tank is badly rusted and the escaping air is causing the light to come on!! "Poor design?" I say, and they say "no". Parts alone are several hundred dollars. Thankfully I have the Gold package with only a $50 deductible. They've ordered the parts and I wonder what all of that would cost out of pocket! Anyone else have this issue? I realize NE winters and salt may contribute to this,but......!
    This happened to me early on with my '04 Murano and I was several hundred miles from home. I called the dealership in a panic and got NO help. By chance, I discovered that if you had hit the lock the door button on the arm rest, that also locked the gas door. Once I hit the button to unlock all the doors, the gas door opened also. Weird.
  • baldwin3baldwin3 Member Posts: 121
    Absolute congratulations to Homeowner for the incredible 70,000 miles on the Eagles original equipment. That is a world record and you must tell us just for fun how great your roads are...smooth, paved, straight ahead. Here in the High Sierra, we have winding, crummy rough asphalt and it is like driving on a grinding wheel. Goodyear should send you a free set of 4....70K is really remarkable and we salute you! JB
  • morton4morton4 Member Posts: 12
    Anyone had any expeirences with excessive chipping on the front end and above the windshield where the molding meets the paint?

My 07 ano has 17k miles. I noticed the other day that their were 5 chips above my windsheild and already had rust on them!. Then I looked around the vehicle and was able to find a couple spots where you could see a rust spot, although this spot was under the paint and top coat/no chip. Lots of paint chips on the front end also.

Anyways, just wondering if anyone has had any issues with this. In case you are wondering I have the glacier pearl color and live in MN.

Thanks!
  • tatersfolkstatersfolks Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone else had the idler adjustment bracket on the murano break so that it wears a hole in one of the radiator hoses. the dealer just told me that it happens quite often but there has not been a recall so it is not covered if you are out of warrenty, I have just 39,000 miles on an 04 so if it breaks this soon what else is next.
  • homeounerhomeouner Member Posts: 145
    replying to timbo4;;; For the past several months the gas door on my 04 MO W/ 56K would not release when given the normal push to get it to open. This noon with a 1/4 tank full I could not get the door to unlock no matter how I used the fob and starting the engine to some how get it unlocked and I was needing gas soon. Took it to the dealer, they lubed it and it opened OK for them. Bring it back if it happens again. Upon returning home the problem persisted. I visually lined up the latch and it would work some time. I then began to push in the door harder and all the way in to the door frame. Lo and behold the door unlocks every time if pushed in further than I had been accustomed to do. My experience and learning curve may help some one get the door open.
  • sfsjamiesfsjamie Member Posts: 1
    So this is going to sound like a real rookie question, because well it is. I have an 03 with the original tires. Have about 35k miles on it (AZ desert conditions) and two of my tires are absolutely bald (curious since I have gotten them rotated 4 times since purchase). My service station is telling me that I need to replace all 4 even though the front two are just fine. Is this actually necessary or are they just trying to up-sell me?
  • michaelscaimichaelscai Member Posts: 75
    I have 03 murano and I live in AZ too, the good yearmurano tires are expensive but I bought a pair from tirerack.com - a different brand, and works well. I just buy them, they deliver, then I take it to walmart to get it installed. they install new tires. cost only about 1/2 of the new goodyear tires.
  • ljetteljette Member Posts: 19
    I got almost 60,000 miles from my original Goodyears. I had them rotated every 7,000 miles. I was also advised by my service tech to buy 4 at a time. Nice smooth ride that way, I guess.
    I posted on tires earlier on, and as I am pushing 70, and am an ER surgeon, I have driven a few miles and bought a lot of tires over the years. Tire wear depends on 1.brand 2.rubber hardness 3.radial or bias belt 4.drive mode (front wheel or rear or AWD) 5.driver habits 6.rotate @ 7,500or so, 7.vehicle weight AND MOST IMPORTANT, 8. the KIND OF ROADS you drive. Several reliable posters (such as above) as well as personal friends have reported 60K on MO Goodyears, whereas I got 38 on same tires. I drive rough asphalt on winding, very curvy mountain roads. Rarely does my MO 05 see straight-ahead long hauls. I am in expensive Michelins now, and believe they will go 40K or more, as they are harder rubber...all else same as orig equip Goodyears. I would think you could keep the 2 "good" tires as long as you have them opposite one another, i.e., both on either front or back, with 2 new ones also opposite. Since all rotations these days are just front to back, this should be fine. It does bother me that only 2 wore out, and frankly it makes me wonder if your tires really got rotated...especially if you were to say the bald tires were on the front, where 80% of MO wear occurs. Generally speaking however, it is best to replace all four when the time comes...since nearly always, the wear on all four is identical.
  • mike1111mike1111 Member Posts: 93
    I have a 07 SL AWD and I just noticed today that when I come to a stop or when I shift into gear I get a single click sound from the pasenger front tire. It seems to happen more when I shift into reverse. I got 27,000 miles on is so I guess I'll do the 30,000 mile maintence soon. Anyone have any idea what it could be?
  • oregonian2oregonian2 Member Posts: 1
    What happened when you took your car in. My parents live in Mesa Arizona and they want to charge them $650 for two front door locks. They have a 2003 Murano.

If you can shed any light on the issue please help. Or if any body else can help. Thanks
  • baybaybaybay Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2004 Murano, have replaced the first door handle, drivers side and actuator to the tune of nearly $600 in Phx, AZ. So, the price for two doesn't seem bad unless they are not also including the actuator (not sure if the spelling is correct), the mechanism that enables your key fob to lock the door. Also had the gas cap locking mechanism fail/replaced now the passenger front door handle fell off. If this happens to you, keep all the pieces, it can save you money. Still haven't gotten the bill for this second handle. But just the door handle replaced, seems quite high. I seem to remember the door handle replacement costs should be under $250. Hope this helps. :D
  • pardawgpardawg Member Posts: 4
    My 03 SL AWD Nissan Murano tends to hesitate at takeoff. It doesn't always do it. I notice it more when very hot or when I run it through a car wash. Anyone have an idea what it may be?
    I check acceleration while in neutral & it still hesitates.
    I am looking to replace tires on my 04 M O. W/ 56K on them. At the dealer this AM to replace a non working left door mirror under the gold warentee, I got a price of $184.00 ea. for the G. Y. P235/65/R18. They also carry a tire called KUMHO for $119.00. Has any posters out there have any knowledge of this tire? With the G. Y. Eagle LS I have had very good service, no balance problems and long wear. What is the reason for the big difference in price. I do not know how long the dealer have been selling this tire?? I will ask them soon. Homeouner
  • pf2001pf2001 Member Posts: 110
    I have an 04 Mo 38500. My gas lid would lock up on occasion. I would hit the lock/unlock a couple of times to open it. Today, I could not get it open. I read previous posts about the unlocking the gas lid from the back panel. So I pulled the back panel and slid my hand in. It is a tight squeeze. I found the gray bar and pulled the bar back to unlatch the gas lid. It is frustrating.
    I guess I will have to take it to the dealership or put a tape in front like other people have done.
  • jmaxejmaxe Member Posts: 198
    My dealer replaced both front door lock actuators at no charge as promised. No explanation as to why they agreed to eat the cost. I was not going to press my luck for an explanation. I guess my point about the car being just under 3 yrs old (but 57k miles) was a good enough argument.
  • cubuffcubuff Member Posts: 3
    Have had my Murano (SL) since March. Love the car. Have only noticed a few minor things. The right front window rattles just a bit only on occasion. The TPMS system is flaky and I think needs to be replaced/fixed. It didn't come on for 400+ miles, then came on / off randomly for another 500+ miles, and now is on almost all the time despite the fact the tires have always had plenty of air (I checked them regularly). I will be taking it in for the 3750 1st maintenance and having them address both issues. Notice the chrome accents around the shifter scratch a bit easily (dragging a car wash vacuum hose across them did it on mine). Other than that, really nothing to complain about. Anyone else having any issues with their '09 Murano? I did notice the roll forward/back issue others have reported while in 'D' on slopes.
  • martinrrrrmartinrrrr Member Posts: 12
    I have noticed how easily the plastic scratches as I too have scratched the interior with a vacuum hose. I do not have a the other issues that you mentioned though.
    Re; post #2039 where my M O W/ 57K on orig. tires, on our last road trip to Birmingham,AL we traveled on wet inner state and on going thru small puddles of standing water I experienced aqua plain ing, really scary, short moments of steering lost at 60 M P H . I think its due to worn tred tire grooves where the water has no place to run out. I will replace them shortly.
  • jodell1814jodell1814 Member Posts: 10
    OMG I have the same problem started friday 6/20. How do i get into the panel
    plz help respond to jeodell1814@aol.com

thanks I really dont wanna pay a lot to have it fixed yet. unless there is way to get in. I think this suck what if was an emergency what the F would i had done then.?
  • dhirshfelddhirshfeld Member Posts: 1
    Make certain that when they align your tires, the techs align your REAR tires as well. When your car's on the rack, check (as have checked) the rear tires to see that they are wearing evenly. Sounds to me like the camber on at least one of your rear wheels is off. Pray for this as a solution...the rear alignment and new rubber is fairly reasonable.

If the vibration (dis)appears as you make sharp turns, the you may need new bearings in a wheel or two. Not a huge repair if caught early. If neglected, could conceivably lead to a wheel off. Doubt you'll let it get that far...the noise becomes deafening.
  • mdfinutmdfinut Member Posts: 1
    :confuse: Hello all! I am new to this site. We have a 2004 Murano and are having some problems. This week our service engine soon light came on and then within a day or two, the car would stall while driving. I took it to our local autozone and had the code read, it says it is a faulty camshaft position sensor (code D0343). Came home started to do some research online. Found out that there had been a recall for this part with the 2003 models. Contacted NHTSA about this (recall 03V4550000) and they made a file for my complaint and said for them to consider paying for the repair I would have to take it to my Nissan dealer to have them read the code. My Nissan dealer said the price to read the code is $90 (the part alone is only $60) I am wondering if it is worth the hassle to have them fix it or is it in a place that I can get to. I am pretty handy with and just replaced the throttle position sensor about 2 months ago. Does anyone know where the camshaft position sensor is located on a 2004 Nissan Murano? Thanks!
  • jpzepjpzep Member Posts: 1
    New owner here, forgive me for any repetitious questions here but I did not see answers in the forum here. Bought this Murano used on Ebay ( i know, i know but it worked well on two other cars!) and am finding out that is has several problems. One, the driver's side mirror doesn't work properly (no vertical movement and slight horizontal). Two, braking causes a major shake in the whole car. There are TSB's for both of these issues. I was hoping someone could shed some light from personal experience (homeouner, I saw that you were having this mirror repair done) on the extent and cost of these repairs. thanks in advance for any help.
    yeah that has happen to me when i first bought my car I have 2004 nissan murano.
    the engine did( like cut off) one time. I was scared as Hell. The dealership told me that is was something in the transmission ( i was a recall) now since it was fixed ith havent had any problems except witht he gas door not opening. thats another problem only the remote can open the gas door.. Unless you go through your back panel in the hack back section. and remove the panel from the gas side and cram your fingers to unlatch it...( sucks)
  • jg2003jg2003 Member Posts: 2
    hi- i'm new here and aren't sure of how exactly to post something, but will give it a try. i tried to start my car and it only clicks. someone told me to tap on the starter while cranking it to see if it turns over. the problem is i can't find the start. it's supposed to be to the left of the engine? very frustrating since i just took it in for a service. all suggestions welcome- thanks!
    Everytime this has happened to me in any car, it has been bad battery. Check that before anything else...
  • easym1easym1 Member Posts: 218
    I just replaced the battery on my 2004 Murano with a brand new one. But when I start the car, it will die unless I press the gas for a little while and then that's the only time I can make it function properly. I was told by a mechanic to remove all the battery connection for 15 minutes and then put them back to reset the code..but it did not solve the problem. I never have this issue untill I replaced the battery. Does anyone know what I can do?
  • wom42085wom42085 Member Posts: 2
    Hows it going. I just replaced the battery on my 2003 Murano with a brand new one having the same problem, went and took it to the dealer. They had to replace a battery terminal and had to reset the idell on the car. all is now working well. They also changed my engine mounts which was covered under warranty.
    Did they charge you to reset the idle or is it under warranty? What is your mileage? Why did they replace your engine mounts? Did you notice anything before they did that?
  • juswalknjuswalkn Member Posts: 4
    I have a 04 Murano and have problems with my gas lid not opening also. Today was the third time this has happened and I was unable to get gas. Costco always has a gas line and to have to leave without gas after waiting was frustrating. So, how did you remove the panel?

Thanks!
    Did you try hitting the door lock button on the driver side arm rest on the door? That worked for me when mine wouldn't open.
  • juswalknjuswalkn Member Posts: 4
    Yes! I locked and unlocked the doors and hit the lid repeatedly for about 4-5 minutes. I used the key, key fob, and manually inside the drivers door. No deal!
  • gbelangergbelanger Member Posts: 3
    I was lucky. It only happened to me once where I couldn't eventually get it open. That did suck! To open it I would keep pressing the lid, lock and unlock the driver side door,etc until it opened. I finally took it back to the dealer and even though I had bought it used, I complained enough that they replaced the actuator switch for free. Since then it has worked flawlessly.
  • homeouner2homeouner2 Member Posts: 14
    re: left side rear view mirror not working, the left would not move at all. The dealer replaced it under warrantee. In shopping for a new set for my 04 MO W/ 58,000 on orig set, sams club for $139.00 ea. Goodyear Long TrailT/A tire tour, crisp handling for Crossover and SUV & light truck touring tires. Does any one out in post land have any experience with these tires. Are they quieter than the OE Goodyears for $112.00
  • wom42085wom42085 Member Posts: 2
    Charged me 220 + 100dollar deductible for engine mounts + passenger door lock. mileage is 58000. dint notice any reason on why to change the mounts. I day later car has the same problem + now non of my door locks work and cannot open car from the inside. Nissan dealer sucks + they had my car for a week.
    Nissan dealer here in Brampton Ontario will charge you for a rusted screw and they don't seem to know what they're doing. Their arrogance made me go somewherelse.

Friends of my that deals with this dealership has warned me about them.

Nissan H/O should be concerned about this type of dealerships because people with bad experience will go to a different company.
  • gr5849gr5849 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased an '04 Murano with the same problem. Were you able to find an alternative?
    I wish i could get a refund on my car. My next car will something with all the fancy stuff. I think thats just making for problems for later.. When I first got my 2004 murano SL I loved it... about 2 years later, the car would cut out of my when i would I would be at a stop light and the go I would get not power. That was the first recall on the car. It had ignition problems.. Then now I have gas tank door problems.. When i use the remote the gas door doesn't not open. according to the dealership the ONLY way to get to the gas tank is to take apart the back paneling of the car where the hatchback is. Yes thats the only way. Unless you pay out of pocket $100.00 to have it fixed yet some my say thats not a lot,but for real they should of have installed and manual release lever i.e.. honda.. toyota.... So you can see my next car will be one of those. What if i was traveling and there was no dealership to take my car too then what?????????? :mad:
    With so many issues with this gas cap, Nissan should have done the right thing by re-calling this car instead of getting all of us pissed. With all the bad service that I got from them, my Murano will be the first and last Nissan we will ever have.

I bet that Nissan reads the threads here but I don't know if they even care.
  • whitallwhitall Member Posts: 190
    Maybe I am just dumb, but I don't know how to get out the air filter. I found the clips to undo (per the manual). Then it says to just lift it out, but nothing lifts out. The thing on top of the filter (the breather?) The plastic box-like cover barely moves. It opens about 1/2 inch and I can feel the rubber edge of the filter, but I don't see how it comes out. Does something have to be unscrewed or disconnected? The manual doesn't mention anything. FYI, I am not mechanically inclined. I can do minor minor repairs, such as wiper blades, batteries, and I thought air filters! Thanks
    It is not difficult at all, but my suggestion would be very simple. Take it to a dealer and let the service rep come out and show you...no charge. Or take it to a JiffyLube place where they know the same thing. Compared to the Audi A6 which required removal of the airconditioner brackets, the Murano is 30 seconds...have somebody show you. Don't fight it.