Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Murano Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• jayhawk70jayhawk70 Member Posts: 56
    There are certainly a couple of folks on this and other threads with endless complaints about their particular car and complaining about the Murano because of their anger with Nissan or their dealer because of their particular car.

But there are huge numbers of us that are extremely happy with our Murano. We've had our 2009 for 18 months and put about 36,000 miles on in highway, city, and mountain driving. Reliability has been superb. Absolutely nothing has gone wrong. Mileage at 78 MPH averages 22 to 23 mph (measured on numerous trip on I-5 between LA and San Francisco). The CVT is a wonderful transmission, especially in mountain driving with constantly changing grades. Nissan's technology remains superior to the Lexus (who only recently started using a hard drive for navigation, but nothing else - Nissan/Infinitis use their hard drive for a much more complete system, incorporating storage for music files, etc.)

I, for one, am completely delighted with our 2009 Murano. Will certainly replace it with another Murano in 10 or 15 years, after we hit 250,000 miles or more. (unless by then I can finally afford a Ferrari...:-)

--jayhawk
  • baldwin3baldwin3 Member Posts: 121
    When a message board is dedicated to problems and fixes, it will of course never carry any Murano owners with superb ownership experience. Our 05 sustained the Throttle Position Failure at 5,000 miles, was immediately diagnosed and fixed under warranty, and since then it has been bulletproof and a great car to drive, especially in snow here in the Sierra. 24 mpg on freeway driving. My only statement would be that it is noisy in the front, (more so than our old Audi or current 09 Pathfinder)most likely from the CVT and engine both being up there...and perhaps this has been addressed in later models. I also appreciate that Nissan has not so radically changed the body style that it remains very much "a new car." The leather and all the electronics perform without problems.
  • marciannomarcianno Member Posts: 5
    Hi Jayhawk.

I actually loved my Murano up until the 70,000 mile mark. Unusual items began to break down. A friend of mine has experienced the very same issues: Driver side visor will not stay in place while driving which is a hazard (a $400 repair), struts bit it, back hatch lock froze (can be repaired by removing right front passenger door panel).

I am just approaching the 100,000 mile mark and it is my sincerest hope that I will be able to hit the 200,000 mile mark. I believe consumers are cranky about spending $32,000 + for a vehicle, and dealing with issues that should not be issues, such as transmission failure.

My initial experience with the Consumer Affairs group was pathetic. A twenty something service representative did so very little to help me navigate through the red tape. When I asked to speak to a manager, she turned her snittiness up a notch and transferred me to someone who truly cared about helping. I have retained his number, as he was a wonderful representation of what service is all about.

I would recommend the extended warranty to buffer the unexpected repairs. It was my saving grace financially, as the repair bill would have easily pushed over the $1,000 mark. The visor . . . it remains broken. Not under warranty.

Glad you have experienced great reliability with your Murano. Keep in mind the items I have noted in the event you do not have an extended warranty.

My best,
    Marcia
  • whitestar16whitestar16 Member Posts: 53
    Hi Marcia,

Many Murano owners handle the visor rod issue with a magnet.
  • crucialcrucial Member Posts: 35
    edited August 2010
    There are certainly a couple of folks on this and other threads with endless complaints about their particular car and complaining about the Murano because of their anger with Nissan or their dealer because of their particular car
    jayhawk70

We're glad that you are happy with your trouble-free vehicle. But there are people who are not happy with their problematic vehicle. That's why we have forum for owners. Forums are here to share. Don't doubt others. How would you feel if you report your run in problem with your Murano at 60k miles mark and people don't believe you?

Like i-phone and Toyota's vehicle, if there is no media forums, Apple and Toyota would still deny there are problems in design.
  • marciannomarcianno Member Posts: 5
    Thank you for the suggestion. The dealership recommended I "jimmy rig" a paper clip at the hinge to keep the position needed to block the sun. The visor tends to swing down and block my vision while driving. :- (
    Your welcome. Your complaint with the visor is not uncommon due to the rod material in the visor. Folks are using flat magnets to keep the visor in place. I hope tht that works for you and I agree about the visor flopping down being a problem.
  • mikesmuranomikesmurano Member Posts: 118
    --jayhawk,

I am starting to think that you are a "serial blogger". You must be a planted Nissan employee who like their "customer-NO-service" refuse to acknowledge the problems MANY consumers are having.

No doubt many folks love the Murano. No doubt some have had no problems. However, there is NO doubt that many others are having some serious and expensive electro-mechanical problems that have undermined their faith in Nissan (mine included).

In my middle class neighborhood, five of us have purchased Murano's (different years); 4 of the 5 have had the same problems many others have shared in this thread.

If you don't have any problems with your 2009 Murano then share your glad tidings with your "Prices Paid and Buying Experience" friends. This thread is here to help those who are having problems; not to listen to you tell everyone they are full of crap and they must be the problem. Take your Kool-Aide and share it with those are blissful with their purchase.

IOW, keep it RELEVANT! :P !
  • jayhawk70jayhawk70 Member Posts: 56
    Folks, I'm not trying to minimize your issues and concerns. Just trying to provide a little balance to mikesmurano, who has for months been spewing every thread (unrelated or not) about how terrible Murano's are and offering the only solution to any problem is essentially "sell it now..." He had a bad experience with a 1st generation Murano, but has been posting on every thread about all models, including the 2nd generation Murano, about how terrible these vehicles are. It would be nice if he could keep his posts "on topic".

And Mike, its sad that you think anyone who tries to provide an example that is counter to your problem must be a Nissan employee. I'm not, and never have been, employed in part of the auto industry, and don't even have any friends or family in any part of the auto industry. (I was originally an aerospace engineer, and recently retired after a 30 year career in the computer industry.) I've owned Datsuns, Nissans, Dodges, Toyotas, Fords, Acuras, even a Corvair. All of them had serious problems of one kind or another, some under warranty, some out of warranty. All except the Corvair I had for at least 100,000 miles, and the last Dodge minivan I sold at 240,000 miles still running fine. (after a major transmission overhaul at 140,000 miles) Cars break.Usually right after the warranty expires :-) They cost money to repair, sometimes lots of money. But that doesn't make them bad cars. Heck, the Corvair was far and away the most problem prone. But with the top down and rowing through the gears (wondering if it was going to swap ends...), it was a great fun!

OK, I've had my say, and will say no more about how fine a vehicle the Murano is here.

By the way, there are also some other active forums focused on just Muranos where very knowledgeable folks hang out, if you cannot find a solution to your problem here. And I promise to try and be more helpful here and not focus on mike.

Peace... --jayhawk
  • baldwin3baldwin3 Member Posts: 121
    edited August 2010
    I have been a reader and contributor to these pages for the 5+ years we have owned an 05Murano (and several Pathfinders and before Murano, 300Zs, and Audi (bad) and BMW5 (bad).) and I will state I am a dumb country surgeon with no Nissan stock or relatives, etc. My Murano had throttle position failure at 7,500 miles, and found the answer on THIS site, and my dealer promptly believed me and fixed it under warranty. Since then, zero problems of any kind...Jiffy Lube does the OLF at 5,000 and the 30, 60 AND upcoming 90K at the dealer...whom I trust, and obviously, many posters do not, which is sad... or would rather not spend money to check. I find complaints like "the seats hurt" and "the visor flops" to be trivial (sorry), but did you break the visor rod, and "something runs after I turn it off" (the electric fan) to be...well, dumb. I take the strut failures seriously and would like to know the real scoop on that. The "original alternator has gone bad" and "you need a new CVT" were, I believe, ignorant service writers at dealerships who could not recognize the TPS failures on earlier models. In addition, people put regular tranny fluid into the CVT which is like poison in your martini. And there was the screw up on the fuel tank protectors when dealers put on plastic "hang downs" which quickly broke off. Now all tanks have steel protection in front.
    In summary, complex cars often...any brand...surf Audi, BMW, Toyota (and by the way, most of the "surges" were Purposeful for $$$) VW, Jeep and Range Rover...among the worst... and you will find "little things" (and BIG things) that were not perfect. A forum like this which concentrates on complaints will exhibit just that...complaints, and so it should. Often however, it exposes big deals, like the TPS, wireless accelerator control failures. Nobody knows really, whether they are widespread or just incidental...0.5% of a model or 5%...but I do know that some people post here with an agenda to disparage (to criticize and destroy) the Nissan Murano, and I for one, will just say...ours, maybe built on a Wednesday...is 79,000, looks brand new, still in style with 2010 Muranos and bulletproof, as is our 2007 Pathfinder pulling a 17 foot 3,500 pound boat. OK? My thoughts...no bias, just the facts. Enjoy your Murano, and YES...my 05 is Noisy in the cabin...more so than the Pathfinder. I hope the newer models have silenced this down. Thanks for listening. No anger intent...just a response.
    edited August 2010
    Jayhawk70,

I have read your reply and am willing to declare a truce.

I started out on this website several years ago seeking advice and technical help when I started to experience problems with my Murano. As the miles rolled on, and the problems became more numerous and expensive, and the dealers gave me different stories on solutions, the experience became incredibly sour.

When seeking information in these threads I started to get comments doubting my claims and problems. I retaliated as you have observed.

I am also an engineer (mechanical 23 yrs.). I have worked for T1 suppliers. I have also worked in aerospace. I am an auto enthusiast and have intimate knowledge of automobiles and have owned many cars.

The Murano, in my experience, is the worst new model car I have ever owned. Through my research I have discovered that Nissan has a lot of problems with other current models as well.

Your Nissan may be performing well today. Best of luck.

This is my list of real problems that totaled in over $11,500 in repairs:

CVT repairs (round 1): $1500 (refused to warrant)
    CVT total replacement (10k miles later): $6200 (121k miles - refused any warranty)
    Recurring brake and strut problems.
    Engine oil leaks (valve covers; seals; gaskets; etc.).
    The engine now is burning oil (I have changed it every ~3000 miles).
    Catalytic converter system and O2 sensors replaced.
    Failed power door lock solenoids (2).
    Cup holder ears broke with little pressure.
    Bose CD changer experiencing problems (disc player skips; speakers cut out).
    Fuel cover door sticks preventing access to fill tank with gas.
    AC system coolant leaks repaired and system re-charged.
    Visors (both defective).

Finally, I will say I loved how the car drove. The interior was well thought out and I also really like the looks. I kept hanging on to the car for these reasons thinking that the current repair would be the last bug I would deal with. NOT!!!

I concluded to unload the car and am glad I did. My concern for others, not you of course (since your new Murano will never have problems), is that they don't throw more good money after bad like I did. Pardon my sarcasm.

The problems I read about here are signs that things are about to get real expensive. These are real issues. There are also safety concerns about the CVT and the remote accelerator. Serious accidents have already happened. U can read the NTSB reports.

I don't want that on my conscience by telling someone that their problems with this car are exaggerated. I heard enough of that denial crap from Nissan's customer (no) service.

Peace back to you....
    It should also be noted that there are (500+) posts in the Murano CVT thread highlighting some type of problem.

Quite numerous compared to other manufacturers and models.
    Ya know Mikesmurano, it's a funny thing. You see, every car made has someone in the same position as yourself with the same dramatic warnings about car X being the worst ever and please avoid.

My other vehicle for instance, is a Honda Civic hybrid. After about 5 years and 65K, it's been pretty darn flawless for me. But there are the same vehement complaints about the car here at Edmunds. To be exact, 366 complaints on the hybrid battery pack and software.

Here its the CVT mainly, with the transfer case and head gasket coming in second and third.

The prius has battery leaks, the Rav 4 transfer case failures and on and on.

The reality is that most folks have no problems or only a minor one or two with all cars made today. And many learn how to handle the problems, or they are handled competently.

--------------------------

A new Murano 2wd version bought right now isn't going to have any major problems because all the stuff has been fixed - the head gasket, the CVT, the PVC valve etc. The AWD version still has the transfer case potential for an issue...so don't buy an AWD version.

Any thanks to Jayhawk and the rest for providing a little clarity.
    A rather flawed perspective/statement.
  • howlinpupshowlinpups Member Posts: 5
    mikesmurano,

This was really helpful to hear of the extensive difficulties you have had with your Murano. It is just a great reminder for us to always do our homework AND cross our fingers before buying a car !

I have almost 90K miles on my 2004 Murano and I don't recall anything out of the ordinary other than the same problem you mentioned about the fuel cover door and my driver's door spontaneously re-locking itself. I had the fuel cover door fixed by Nissan, but they could not replicate the problem with the door lock. I *think* if you want to fix the fuel door yourself, you can just remove the pin/bolt that locks it, but then it will no longer be lockable.

bj
    OK - how bout this one- buying a used car with a bunch of miles 1st generation first year for model increases the probability of significant problems that won't be fully serviced by a car company.
    As you continue to laud the great experience you have with your '09 Murano, I am still not quite understanding how your comments (directed to me) are helping those folks figure out how to resolve the "real" maintenance & repair problems they are dealing with.

I think you are the one who needs to find a new place to post your banter.

We will allow you to return when your '09 starts to fall apart.

BTW, your last last post (#2235) I don't see how that relieves Nissan from standing behind their product.
    edited August 2010
    Howlinpups,

I had the spontaneously locking doors as well. This was a huge annoyance. I asked the dealer about it. They told me at the time they did not know what was up with that. This also happened once when I stepped out of the car (still running) to get the mail. The door closed and locked. My house key and garage door opener were on the inside of the car. With no one home, I had to wait an hour for my wife to get home while the car sat at the end of the drive way running with my stuff on the inside.

Then they came back and said it could be fixed by re flashing the car's E PROM with the newest updates in the software. This would only cost $750.

I thought what a deal! Another expensive fix! I didn't bother at that point.

I kept a spare key tied to the undercarriage.

Now, I am sure whitestar16, and the others, who refuse to believe my shared experiences are valid, will tell you how I made this up and people like me just don't understand the car or the company or how to astutely purchase a vehicle.

I can now look back and laugh since I replaced the Murano with a Toyota 4Runner and an Acura TL.

Did I tell you how I liked the drive of the Murano? :shades:
    That's fine Mikes Murano - except I think in good faith, ya need to let everyone know you bought a used 2003 Murano that was already problematic before you acquired the vehicle.
    edited August 2010
    You know, I am really getting tired of having to correct you!

FTR, I purchased the 2003 in early 2005"dealer certified vehicle" with 39K miles. There were no prior problems at all evident. It was maintained before and after by the dealer. It belonged to a salesman at the dealership. It was never wrecked/salvaged or other. I didn't exp. any issues until late 2007.

Were you here to buy it with me? Did you run the carfax on it? Did you ride with the prior owner everyday and determine it was problematic? I think not!

Why don't you take your omniscient powers to D.C. and see if you can help fix the runaway spending problem? Let me guess, that's probably my fault too.

Aerospace engineer? Right........
    Right on. So like I said, you bought a used 2003 Murano; It just needs to be pointed out so that other 2003 owners can benefit from your trail of Murano woe. And do you really think " Dealer Certified" has any real meaning? The 2003 Muranos had a high rate of problems. And those were the new ones. Buying a used 2003 makes problems a virtual certainty. A glimpse through the technical service bulletin history for that model year attests to that--and also the gradual flow of vehicle improvements that followed.

I think you were referring to Jayhawk as far as the Aerospace engineer; another one of your babysitters.
  • easym1easym1 Member Posts: 218
    Hey Buddy, many of the issues discussed here where issues I got with my 04 Murano. Right now I got 100K KM and recently encountered additional problems. I do maintain all our cars well and we drive the car well. Honestly, I'm glad that I found a better mechanic than the Nissan dealers have and was able to fix what Nissan mechanics can't. All I got from them are nothing but run-around instead of fixing the problems.

Btw, I got mine brand new!
    edited August 2010
    What kind of problems did you get starting at 100,000 KM? Also, if you are looking for any info on the 2004 models there is actually a thread just for 2005 and prior Murano model years, that may be useful to you.

Ideally the thread here is to discuss problems and solutions.
    Follow your own advice and stop your bantering.

For the "Nth" time, when I purchased my Murano, the data you are refering to was not available; the car had not been on the market only two years.

Go lecture someone else. I will speak to you no more on this matter.

"Wosh sh-tay" whitestar16...
    Hi Mike- you have had some problems here on the board and with the moderators and other posters. Good luck to you.

I don't think there are any more complaints about the Murano than there are other cars.I bought a 10 SL FWD after searching through a bunch of sites and reading up on it.I have noticed that the people who complain on here also complain on other sites which is fine but I think it makes the numbers seem higher.I have read word for word complaints on here and the same on many different sites.Nissan has tweaked the Murano over the years and usually by year four for any car they have worked out most of the bugs.That being said any one car can mess up at any time.Just maintain the car well and it should hold up very well
    Hi all. I am due for the first oil change on my Murano in a couple of months. The questions I have are as follows:

1. Does Nissan use synthetic in their cars that are new?
    2. Is it better to start using a synthetic sooner?
    3. If so, what grade do you all recommend?

Thanks
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Let's stick to the topic and avoid taking potshots at each other.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • hytydehytyde Member Posts: 2
    I have had a number of issues pop up with my Murano since I bought it but my biggest concern now is the "jerking" I feel when slowing down and then accelerating again. I expressed my concern to a service center that I have used for years. Their concern was that my transmission was going bad (specifically because of a problem they had when the car was in reverse) and suggested I take it to a Nissan dealer since I was still under warranty. The Nissan service department told me there wasn't anything wrong with my transmission, however I needed to replace 3 broken motor mounts. As it turns out, there were only 2 broken motor mounts but they were ready to charge me for 3. My warranty will end in about 7,000 more miles and I'm worried that there is more wrong than what I've been told. Also, I'm now having problems trying to start the car. I have had to use the key a few times but that wouldn't even work earlier today for about 15 minutes. Has anyone else had this problem?
  • jodell1814jodell1814 Member Posts: 10
    I had and still have the same problem its the INTAKE SYSTEM, I had 2 recalls on it.. My brother says the gas isnt getting to the engine( something like that) its happens when Im at a corner and stop then go its jerks then go's back to being normal.. Or when my foot slips of the gas and I press on the pedal it does the same thing.
  • jodell1814jodell1814 Member Posts: 10
    I have murano 2004 how the hell do i replace the headlight. I went to the dealer and they said I had to have the front tire removed to get to the headlight socket and replace I can see the socket when I look under the hood. God this car is getting on my nerves... I should stuck with another honda the lights were easy to replace..
    Here is the recall on the air intake issue and some results from other posters;

2003–2007 NISSAN MURANO; VOLUNTARY SAFETY RECALL CAMPAIGN ENGINE AIR INTAKE DUCT
    Nissan is conducting a voluntary safety recall on model year 2003 – 2007 Murano vehicles. Under certain conditions, the intake duct, which is connected to the intermediate resonator in the air intake system of the engine, may separate from the resonator with engine movement. This could cause minor idle fluctuation or poor acceleration. If this occurs, and the vehicle continues to be driven without being serviced, the engine may stall while driving. To remedy this potential condition, Nissan is conducting this voluntary safety recall campaign to replace the air intake duct with an updated part and the air duct clamps with new clamps at no charge for parts or labor.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------

I got it done this morning took about 30 minutes. So far my biggest improvement is throttle response. I also had a weird noise that I describe as popcorn kernels in a coke can popping around. This happened when getting started on a steep hill, low RPM high torque situation. This is now resolved.

The mechanic said I barley touched it and the hose came off. I said I know I have been messing with it for a year. They acted extremely surprised even though I have been in the shop numerous times for repairs on other things and have mentioned the problem.

Anyway all is good now.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------
    I also got this recall performed today when my car when in for service along with a couple other warranty issues.

Before the new intake, my MO felt like it would gasp for air at a certain point during acceleration. Now, it seems like that problem is solved.

---------------------------------

Its a real issue for the model years 2007 and prior although many drivers didn't get the problem. Totally fixed for the 2009 to current Muranos.
    here is the info you are asking for on changing a headlight in the Murano:

The Nissan Murano uses 9004 halogen headlights for low beams and 9007 for high beams. You'll need to verify which headlight has burned out before you can replace it, but this is an easy task. Just turn on the headlights and verify which headlight has burned out. Switch from the high beams to low beams to make sure that you don't have a high beam headlight burned out. Replacement headlights can be purchased from most auto parts stores.
    Difficulty: Moderately Easy
    Instructions

Step 1

Open the hood of your Murano and unplug the electrical connector running to the back of the headlight. You may need to jiggle the headlight connector back and forth until it comes off the headlight fully.
    Step 2

Pull off the black headlight cover from the back of the headlight.
    Step 3

Remove the spring clip holding the headlight in place and pull the headlight out of the assembly.
    Step 4

Insert the new headlight into the housing and secure it with the spring clip.
    Step 5

Replace the headlight cover and plug the electrical connector back into the headlight.
    edited August 2010
    Regarding the starting problem, you may want to check your starter.

I had the recall work done on the intake. That was no problem for me. However, I finally concluded through some simple tests that my starter was going bad.

This was yet another part and repair (in my long list) that had to be made. I replaced it myself. A simple test is, if the car does not start, put in drive and push the car a little. This will move the brushes on the starter motor some (closer to the adjacent magnet). Usually if you do this once or twice the car will start. If this is the case it usually points to the starter being bad.

You can also remove the starter (rather simple) from underneath the car. Two bolts are removed and the starter will slide back/out. Take it to Autozone they can test it there. Take care in removing it; it wieghs about 5 - 8 lbs.

Or, you can have the dealer do it all for you for about triple the cost of a starter from AZ (~$150 - $200).

Best of luck; believe me I understand your dilemma w/ a problematic Murano.
    edited August 2010
    Finally, sit and learn little one!

1. Does Nissan use synthetic in their cars that are new?

Nissan does not ship any of their normal production cars with synthetic already filled at the factory.

2. Is it better to start using a synthetic sooner?

Synthetic could/should be used at the earliest (as permitted by the Mfgr's specifications). consult your manual or dealer. Synthetic blends are also okay but need to be changed at a higher frequency. An equally important point is to select a quality filter. One that traps small microscopic particles that can damage your engine.

3. If so, what grade do you all recommend?

5 or 10W30 SAE (only). The brands are fairly equal. Castrol; Mobile One; and or Pennzoil are all fine (~$30 per change if you DIY). There are better brands that are more expensive (~$50 DIY).

Regardless Whitestar16, synthetic is a good way to go. Plus you will need all the help you can get driving a Nissan Murano (new or old). They have become known to be habitual oil leakers inside and out. Mine leaked internally and fouled up the catalytic converter causing it to fail. Did I tell you that story?

BTW, Toyota and Honda products never leak oil.
  • smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    Just a word to the wise, I would recheck some of the Toyota threads on edmunds. There as been numerous complaint about sludge and oil issues with several Toyota models, the Camry in particular, I think in the 5th and 5th Gen Camry. So Toyota is not immune either.
    I have posted some of the problems I encountered with my Murano in the past.

@ 100K KM, here are the problems that pop out:

1. Need to replace driver side wheel bearing.
    2. Lumbar support switch don't work.
    3. Rattling sound underneath the car.
    4. Flashing airbag lite ( I believe @ 80K ).
    5. Driver slide window screw got unscrewed. Vibrates when window is down.

Past issues that I can remember:

1. Gas cap stucked at lock position,
    2. Winshield washer sprayer - weak.
    3, Switch to engage AWD malfunction.
    4, Replaced car battery @ around 65K.
    Its interesting how different car models have similar issues. Both my Volvo s70 and the Honda Hybrid I have had batteries needing replacement fairly early - i ascribed this to the heat we have in Texas and just figure that batteries need to be replaced every couple of years around hear.

I had a gas cap won't open issue in the Honda as well.

I also think the AWD version of the car should be avoided as the FWD for most folks works just fine and eliminates one area of potential problems. But some Murano owners swear by the AWD option to be sure.

The Honda had a weird auto down up issue with the drivers side window - it took five minutes for the dealer to fix it under warranty as it turned out.

I consider these items pretty minor. Of course if ya need to take gas out in the middle of nowehere and you can't get a gas cap open - now thats a major problem :-).
    edited August 2010
    These are nuisance issues that should not be encountered with the Murano that has been billed as a premium car from Nissan.

The problems you stated are all in the typical "problem areas" for the Murano.

The switches (lumbar & AWD) and air bag light are common electronic problems with Nissan products. I have done some research and discovered that many of the Murano electrical components are undersized or are purchased from cheap Chinese suppliers.

I had both electric door locks starting to fail. I hooked up a strain guage & electric meter the lock mechanism solenoid to determine the force required to actuat the lock and found that the solenoid was rather undersized/anemic for the application (compared the measurements/readings to the solenoid spec's).

Nissan wanted to charge me ($500 P&L) to replace both solenoids. I did it myself and saved the labor cost.

The AWD drive Muranos seem to be the most risky. My guess is that the transfer case shell (casting) & the CVT casting are too weak to withstand the extra torque the assembly experiences when engaged. If the cases flex then it puts the components in stress/torsion which will cause failures through out the system; it is also leading to an alarming rate of CVT & transfer case cracks.

In addition, this would explain the large number motor mount failures that the Murano seems to experience.

If you have as many miles as you do, you may want to consider cutting your losses and move to another vehicle (other than a Murano).

Muranos are just not holding up as they age and collect a lot of miles.
  • montielmontiel Member Posts: 1
    HI

I HAVE ONE QUESTION AND I WILL APPRECIATE ANY HELP OF YOU: HOW MANY MOUNTS FOR ENGINE AND TRANSMISSION REQUIRES A 2004 NISSAN MURANO?
    I LIVE IN MEXICO AND HERE IS NOT EASY TO FIND THESE KIND OF PARTS.
    IF YOU KNOW ABOUT A SERIOUS WEB SITE FOR PURCHASING THEM, IT WILL BE GREAT FOR ME

THANK YOU
    Hello everyone. I just got my front brakes replaced recently and noticed that the AWD and AIRBAG lights were flashing on the dash while driving. I've checked my AWD switch but it's off. Is this an issue of simply re-setting the onboard computer?
    Per my previous post. I got my front brakes replaced and noticed the AWD and AIRBAG lights stays on on the dash when I run the car. Any solution?
    Hello again, I'm posting this in behalf of a friend with a Murano

The mechanic has replaced the front driver side wheel bearing. When he turns the engine ON, the ABS light goes ON and he will hear a click and then the AWD light will also go ON. They will both stay ON on the dashboard while the engine is running.

He tried removing one side of the battery for 5 minutes hoping to reset the module but did not work. Can anyone help.
  • anewsomeanewsome Member Posts: 1
    Brought this car two days ago, love it, however after going though manual realize trunk doesn't power in SL, what a bummer, want to upgrade to LE, nissan said the paper work went though, I would have to bring vehicle back in as a trade-in wow is this right? I not sure now.
  • pf2001pf2001 Member Posts: 110
    Thanks for the info. I have an 04 SL. I notice that there is no pick up when I press on the accelerator. I will bring mine in for the service.
    Your welcome. good luck and hope things get fixed up for you.
  • pro7pro7 Member Posts: 5
    APOLOGISE - I'M PECKING ON A I-PHONE (I DO HAVE AN MBA - BUT TRUST ME I'M HAPPY TO SAY I'M NOT THE SMARTEST DUDE IN THE ROOM)
  • pro7pro7 Member Posts: 5
    Murano - Proof Par Excellance that the Japaense can build crap just like the Americans
  • pf2001pf2001 Member Posts: 110
    Got the air intake done and my Mo runs a lot better than before. It does not run sluggish when I apply the gas.
  • jjaug17jjaug17 Member Posts: 1
    May I ask where you found the aftermarket CAT for ~$300?

I need one as well. Thanks heaps!!!
    Corporate Headquarters
    Eastern Manufacturing, Inc.
    2151 Cabot Blvd. West
    Langhorne, PA 19047-1808
    Tel: 215.702.3600
    Tel: 800.553.7199
    Fax: 215.702.3606

"easterncatalytic.com"

It can be done by yourself; but, it is a tricky job. Needs lots of sockets, swivels and extensions. Good luck.