Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Murano Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• sheri2005sheri2005 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with the same make and model. The fuses are fine. Did you ever find a solution?
  • homeouner2homeouner2 Member Posts: 14
    My 04 MO has both sun visors drooping,cant use them,wont stay up. Pure junk. Dealer in Chesapeake, VA wants $400.00 ea. Cant find any visors in junk yard, other Nissans wont fit, 80 of the 100 I looked at have there visors picked, shows what junk they are. Mabey E Bay has a pair. Have any of you posters located any. A postor commented so what, but at $400.00ea. thats big money for those items. Viator Trudeau
  • njmedic702njmedic702 Member Posts: 3
    $400. ea for sun visors? Are they smoking crack??? This is such BS. And the worst part is that corporate WON'T stand by their product, no matter what! They let their dealerships ride roughshod over their customers, charge whatever they want for service labor AND jack up the prices on stuff like this. Absurd!

I'm still seething about the fact that my dealership REFUSED to give me two proprietary codes for the "Service Engine Soon" light warning unless I paid them a $125. "diagnostic" fee. I e-mailed corporate three times about this since this has been an ongoing problem - and whatever electrical issue is causing this has shorted out my alternator four times! Not even an "I am sorry you are having a problem." Just, "Our dealerships can set their own fees for things like this." Well, set this, Nissan. This chick will NEVER darken the doorstep of a Nissan dealership EVER again! And will badmouth you to anyone who will listen! Should have given the car back under the Lemon Law when it happened the second time...
    My 2003 Murano (never buy a first model year vehicle - too many "glitches") is having tie rod/wheel bearing issues? Anyone else have this problem? Not taking it to the dealership for repair - how much on average should it cost to replace one side only?
  • mightydieselmightydiesel Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever find the solution to the rumbling. I just started feeling mine intermittently at low speeds between 5 and 15mph.. Its definetely not the tire it feels more like the cvt. I have a 2007 MO with 60k
  • fantiefantie Member Posts: 1
    My '04 Murano spills coolant through the radiator resevoir whenever I drive with air conditioner on. Sometimes afetr driving for 2-3 hours when I stop coolant drips off the plastic resevoir. the car doesnt overheat but spills of coolant forcing me to keep toping it up. What could be the problem. Thanks in advance.
    CJ
  • mikesmuranomikesmurano Member Posts: 118
    I had the same issue.

This is a precursor to a CVT on the way out. Sell the car unless it is under warranty.

It is not worth the trouble you will go through.
    The struts went out on both front wheels on my '03.

That may be an additional problem or it may be causing your wheel bearing(s) and tie rods to crap out. They are all linked.

I bought KYB Struts from a tire supplier they did the tie rods/bearings & struts for $800. I got a deal because I always buy tires from them.

None of my Toyota's, Honda's nor Chrysler products ever had the kind of nagging problems as Nissan.

No more Nissans!
    To All Readers:

Sorry for violating Edmunds policy and suggesting that one engage in less than acceptable behaviour to resolve their very frequent and very expensive problems you encounter with your Murano's and maybe other Nissan products.

I retract my earlier posts.
    Have a local mechanic change out your coolant and perform a pressure test to locate the leak. DO NOT go to a Nissan dealer; they will rip you off and charge you through the @$$!

The coolant circulates through a "jacket" in the oil filter mount. In this assembly there are several connections and seals. You have an '04 - so it is likely through age these items are getting brittle and lived a good life on a bad car model.

I had the same problem.

I seem to have had almost all the problems that folks post here. That is why I sold my Murano and went back to Toyota. I bought a 4Runner.
    Try a body shop (NOT A NISSAN DEALER - they will rip you off).

They can look for wrecked cars and locate (most times) good parts off of wrecked cars at junk yards.

Just a thought......
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    I have a friend who is considering a 2004 Murano.

I told him I thought they were pretty good cars.

Maybe not?....
    Please tell your friend, "do not buy a Murano period! Also, do not buy a Nissan product at all if they don't want to go broke on repairs."

Nissan has to be the worst auto company in the western world today.

Nothing more needs to be said.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Well, I don't think I would go that far. There are worse cars.

And, I realize that forums like this tend to attract people that do have problems like a magnet.

I think I'll just direct my friend to this forum and let him decide for himself.
  • jmaxejmaxe Member Posts: 198
    I replaced mine for about $240 each. Believe I ordered the parts from Courtesy Nissan and did the install myself in 5 min.
  • baldwin3baldwin3 Member Posts: 121
    I used to enjoy this site, but it has become a forum for one person to answer all comers, and we don't know much about that person except he hates Muranos and Nissan and has a Toyota. The real answers to questions and helpful suggestions have disappeared into pretty hostile replies. Our 05 Murano is still perfect and pushing 90,000...signing out as this is a waste of time and pretty sick nasty propaganda. I suggest some regular "commentators" find a life...mow the lawn, shovel snow or perhaps play with your kids.
    edited January 2011
    I don't know who is addressing the problems/concerns which are posted. On a few occasions I have posted about several issues I have had for several reasons, not just to rag on Nissan but to see if any other owners have had the same problem and how and if it was resolved successfully. I have also stated my opinion, and that is all it is is - an OPINION, about the dealership's high labor costs, cavalier attitude about concerns brought to their attention and unwillingness to work with customers. It seems like the most important thing to them is to SELL their vehicles, not service them. They don't seem to get it that people can go anywhere and negotiate a good price for a vehicle. What will bring them back to a particular dealership is the courtesy and professionalism displayed by their service staff! In the time I have had my 2003 Murano, I have used two dealerships, the second for convenience in regard to my employment. During this time the dealerships have gone through countless service managers. To me, this tells a story of people not interested in doing their job well. If you are having no problems with YOUR Murano, good for you. Perhaps you got lucky - or the kinks had been worked out by the time you got yours. Mine was purchased in 2003 - I would never purchase any vehicle in its first model year again, Nissan or otherwise.
    edited January 2011
    Baldwin3,

If your '05 Murano is still perfect @90K then why would you bother to comment in the "Nissan Murano Maintenance and Repair" category?

The majority that came here several years ago were searching for answers because of the unusual problems we were running into and the exhorbitant repair costs. Things that are not common to other Mfg'rs. vehicles.

When the Murano was introduced it was a unique vehicle with a lot of new technologies that were supposed to set a new standard in motor vehicles.

It was a failure. The Murano & Nissan have not gotten enough bad press today because of Toyota's problems over shadowing and the Murano has become the new yuppie "Kool-Aide" drinking cult car. It is billed as environmentally correct; etc.

If your read back thru my posts, you will find that I have offered a great deal of technical advice of how I delt with repairs; and, tried to do it on a "working man's" budget.

I have offered correct advice through out; No one has ever disputed that my recommendations on repairs were incorrect. Many have thanked me for helping them out.

It is unfortunate that people like you keep returning, accusing those of us who have suffered as "Nissan owners", of being "hostile commentators".

When your Murano starts to crap out you may return and we will take you under our loving care and help you thru it.

Maybe you're the one who has hostility issues - I don't know - it is not for me to judge and then insult.

Until then, best of luck!
    I had to use the same approach. Two dealers; one was better than the other.

Unfortunately, the better dealer could not overcome the louzy car quality.

It is not an opinion, but an experience.

When my Murano's repair cost passed the $12K mark I had to stop the bleeding and get rid of it. It would have been more if I had not done a lot of the repairs myself.

I think I may have to start a website that offers nothing but pure counceling for Nissan owners.
  • cora98cora98 Member Posts: 1
    HEY MIKE MY SES LIGHT IS ON AND ITS READING CAT BANK ONE AND SO I WAS GOING TO REPLACE CAT CAN YOU TELL ME THE MANF. WHERE YOU GOT YOUR CAT OR BRAND I DONT WANT TO PAY 800 DOLLARS FROM DEALERSHIP FOR JUST THE CAT BUT NOT SURE ABOUT AFTERMARKET CATS EITHER. I HAVE BEEN TOLD THEY CANT TAKE THE ACTUAL HEAT TEMPS THE MURANO CATS ARE MADE FOR SO THEY GO BAD FAST..
    PLEASE HELP THANKS

PLUS IS THAT THE ERROR CODE YOU HAD BANK ONE ?TRYING TO FIND OUT IF THAT IS THE REAR OR FRONT CAT SINCE THERE IS APPARENTLY THREE PARTS THANKS AGAIN
    Here is the comapny info for the CAT:

Corporate Headquarters
    Eastern Manufacturing, Inc.
    2151 Cabot Blvd. West
    Langhorne, PA 19047-1808
    Tel: 215.702.3600
    Tel: 800.553.7199
    Fax: 215.702.3606

"easterncatalytic.com"

Note: I discovered an oil leak problem prevalent with Murano engines. I do not know exactly where the source is; but, oil is leaking into the left bank converter and causing contamination. Once the platininum is saturated with hydrocarbons the ceramics over heat and will crumble and clogg up your exhaust pipe. This will cause more problems so get it taken care of soon. Try a Midas shop. Take the CAT you purchased to them and they will take care of the labor.

It can be done by yourself; but, it is a tricky job. Needs lots of sockets, swivels and extensions; and patience.

After your done, sell the car. The problem will re-ocurr. Good luck.
  • newowner10newowner10 Member Posts: 227
    I brought my 2006 Murano (70,000 miles) to a independent service organization.
    I asked if they had the correct Antifreeze they verified they had what I needed.

They used "Dex-cool" it appears there are many types/colors of Dex-cool. My original coolant was Green and the replacement is green also. I do not know what brand they used. Is Dex-cool acceptable replacement?
  • boscomuranoboscomurano Member Posts: 1
    the strong knocking sound heard from the rear wheels(?) when making a turn and accelerating and when breaking at medium or high speed. plz help me !!!
  • baldwin3baldwin3 Member Posts: 121
    Last post in January 2011 was called "hostile" by seemingly endless contributor and now Toyata ? salesman and chief executive named "MIKES MURANO" and so here is a six month followup on our 05,now 93,000 and bulletproof. I was assaulted (I can take it) for putting in positive Nissan Murano comments on a site for "problems", but the site should be at least "fair" and all I said was that our Murano has been faultless. Maybe we were lucky, maybe it was built on a sober Wednesday, maybe we drive it more carefully. All I can say is that it is a great vehicle, and everything we could expect. July 2011. Six month followup in December.
  • booo7099booo7099 Member Posts: 1
    My 06 has the exact same problem...
  • fun4mefun4me Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2011
    Maybe I am just blind, but searching this forum I have not found this addressed before?
    Having just purchased a new 2011 SL Murano and reading the owners manual (OM) , I am wondering if some, not all, of the CVT and engine problems discussed here are because the "break in" or daily use of the overdrive/and or/ low gear were not used correctly? I have come to the conclusion that it must be some sort of a dealer "golden rule" with other dealers to NEVER inform the customer of the break in period. It must be a way to keep “the back end shop full of customers”. Dissatisfied customers move on to other makes and models and the cycle starts over again…..
    When I purchased a new 2009 Frontier and asked if there was any sort of break in, (I asked two different people on two different occasions) I was told no. I was told to just drive it and enjoy it. Well, checking out the OM I discovered there WAS a specific procedure to follow during the break in period.
    Purchasing this new vehicle, (same dealer) I didn’t bother asking anyone if there was any break in. Even during the customer check off list, it was not even mentioned by anyone. Reading the OM it did have a very restrictive break in period. Further reading for the use of the low gear and use of the overdrive push button, I was shocked to find out, unlike a conventional tyranny, these two “gears” have a very specific limited use. The OM went on saying, “Otherwise, severe damage and shorten life of the engine and/or CVT could occur.”
    Reading this, I wondered how many used Murano’s out there, return leased, etc., or still in use by the original owners, have had the break in schedule and the use of the overdrive and or low gear followed correctly.
    Just a thought.
  • lcw1lcw1 Member Posts: 36
    I took my wife's 2009 Murano today to Nissan for 30,000 service. They quoted me $980.00 just for the routine service and that includes 390 for cvt oil change. I am now afraid of the subsequent costs and repairs because I am retiring soon and spending that type of money is scary at retirement. Did any one here pay for that service and if so at what cost.

Thanks
    lcw
  • gooddrivergooddriver Member Posts: 6
    There is no need to change the fluid in CVT at 30K miles. In fact there is no need to do anything other than change the air filter that you can do it in 3 minutes, cost of the filter is less than $20, change the oil, and can change the cabin air filter, which also cost less than $15 and you can do it in 3 minutes as well. If you read the manual, it says you don't need to do much on this car until 120K miles including changing the CVT fluid. Also keep in mind that the CVT is warranted for 10 years 120K miles. SO save $700 dollars and changed the filters yourself, and change the oil according to recommended schedule, I change mine every three months or 3500 miles, I have a 2004 Murano. Cars these days don't need much maintenance, other than regular oil changes. Good luck
  • ljetteljette Member Posts: 19
    I agree with gooddriver. When I bought my '05 new, I was told I wouldn't have to change the transmission fluid until 150,000 miles. Since then I have been told many different times by different Nissan service people that it needed to be done at 50,000 miles and 75,000 miles etc. I haven't touched it yet and am going strong at 127,000 miles.(My husband thinks once you open the CVT you're asking for trouble.) I have also stopped going to any dealership for service. Better prices and no one is pestering me to do unneeded service at my friendly neighbor mechanics' place. Oil changes every 3-5 thousand miles and good to go!
  • lcw1lcw1 Member Posts: 36
    gooddriver: Thank you for taking the time to answer. I better start reading the manual before I venture to a dealership. I couldn't understand why they needed to change the transmission oil and other parts with such a low mileage. I am quite disappointed in this dealership since I have been doing business with them for over 15 years. Oh well there goes another customer.
    lcw
  • easym1easym1 Member Posts: 218
    I have a 2004 Murano @ 125,000 KM. Phoned the dealer to inquire on the cost to replace the spark plug. I was quoted $600 because they need to replace the intake plenum. Has anyone got any experience regarding this?
  • 4muranos4muranos Member Posts: 1
    Lets answer a couple of questions. Have owned two 04's an 06 and an 011. The trans is to be changed at 60 k and cost is about $200. Fliud on 06 was a problem but Nissan won't back it up. It was power steering hose $450,hard to do yourself. Struts replaced with monroe lifetime and new boots and realigned at 65k miles at Hibdon for $500. Will do myself next time or find a buddy. Look on youtube for brake job,can be done in less than and hour w/19mm and 14mm wrenches
  • resq46resq46 Member Posts: 1
    I turned my heater to high and all of the sudden my gas mileage dropped from 20.9 to 13.5. Also, my engine got loud, but the tachometer did not jump. Finally, the whole dashboard started vibrating. I haven't onwned this for very long, and Google search did not give me anything. I would appreciate any help. I don't imagine I am going to be able to get it fixed before Tuesday.
    edited April 2012
    re: post #2306 U tube a lot of sites on changing spark plugs. Some Nisson engines have space between the intake runners W/ the plugs located over the space for wrench clearance. This problem is on the rear bank which is a reach and space problem. The phylum must be removed for access of the plugs, hence the high cost. A year ago the chesapeake,VA. dealer wamter $17.oo ea. foe plugs, $6.00 for same thing at the after market stores. Sorta like $450.00 ea. for falling sun visors. I have not found a gasket kit to change the plugs
  • aisaaisa Member Posts: 1
    Hi All. Can anyone share with me the best workshop to service a Nissan Murano 2008?

Thanks
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    Where do you live?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

This is not a reply to any post. I am going to have to replace the front struts on my 04 murano. The shop manual call to remove the upper cowl cover. There are two snap out covers on left and right side, when removed seem to provide enough access to remove the three bolts in order to drop down the struts after disconnecting the lower end of the strut. Anyone have any experience getting at the these bolts on each side. Thanks. Viator Trudeau (homeouner)
    Hello again, I am responding to my post #2313. I left out a step listed in the C D service manual. They instruct to remove the upper cowl cover at the windshield to have more access to the 3 bolts at the top of the struts. Has any one had any luck getting at the bolts just thru the snap off covers. thanks homeowner 2
  • cardad5cardad5 Member Posts: 2
    Hey thanks for some of the info I'v e been reading on the Nissan Murano. I have a 2009 SL that I bought new, really it's been pretty good and bullet-proof BUT after doing all major maint (oil changes, 30k- 60k etc). It is just 3yrs old and 60k and my independant shop in doing the 60k maintenance says "look here you may have a cracked head gasket."

Has Nissan had a silent recall on these? I got a letter extending the warranty on the CVT but nothing to date on the engine/head gasket. I have it with the dealer I bought it from now getting looked at.

thanks in advance!
  • cardad5cardad5 Member Posts: 2
    Hey I like my Murano too see my posting # 2315 though it went "burp" right at 60k miles!

rgds cardad5
  • doctas2doctas2 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased an 06 Murano and the lower seat trim keeps coming loose. There is a plastic piece along the side where the seat controls are and a piece across the front of the seat. The piece on the front keeps coming out of the two "locking" brackets and then the side side piece lets loose as well. Any suggestions on how to fix this? Thanks
  • jcalvinjcalvin Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem. The remedy that worked for me is to take the seat back as far as it can go then sink it as low as it can go and then bring it forward so the left guide realigns into the side channel. This seems to have worked OK but whenever others adjust the seat differently it sometimes slips out again but I've been able to reset it each time in the same fashion previously described. I hope this helps you or others.
  • talex2talex2 Member Posts: 1
    I'd like to purchase a nissan murano, however, my mechanic, said Nissans are hard to diagnose. He said his brother purchased a murano which no one can diagnose, not even Nissan, why it looses acceleration after stopping at a stop light. Has anyone had problems with diagnosis in their Nissan?
  • espo35espo35 Member Posts: 144
    Who did the 30K and 60K services? If it wasn't the dealer, check to see if they replaced the engine coolant. Nissan uses a very specific type of coolant/antifreeze. If regular ethylene glycol (like Prestone) was used, it attacks the head gaskets.
  • richwagnerhirichwagnerhi Member Posts: 1
    I recently replaced my transfer case in my 05 nissan murano. all has been reassembled but I have a lingering "Slip" and "VDC Off" lights that are on. the slip light is bright and the VDC off light is not as bright. If I unhook the battery they reset and they do not turn back on until I am about a quarter mile down the road. they turn on simultaneously. Then once on they are on right away when I restart the car. Help!!
  • steelflatrollsteelflatroll Member Posts: 18
    Hello all - I have an 03 MO with 148000 miles and thru the years but here's is the list of stuff done and what is happening now.
    the crank sensor 60000 miles
    the cam sensor at 75000 replace
    the seat gear broken( I replaced the gear myself )
    the frame cracked fix myself ( had it welded)
    now for the on going stuff
    like the hesitation after driving on the expressways and coming to a stop in traffic then it hesitate in taking off still exist still dont see any answer to this ? anyone figure out what this is ? (I've seen reply's like it's the trans but I dont believe it has been going on way to long to be that and not always happens )
    I do now have drops of oil either from rear seal or transfer case I treat with Wynn's ( its not much that comes out ) but the issue is it drops on the exhaust and burning oil smell appears.
    the rt side window doesnt stay up when using the auto up it drops back down 6" ( dealer couldn't program ??)
    When I have the tail gate open it locks all doors after a minute I almost lock my keys in it - dealer couldnt re-program it ?? any ideals out there ?
    gas door actuator fails to open ( I just prevent it from locking not worth the trouble or cost )

maybe it's time I should think about trading it in for another car or SUV ...
    The blower of my Murano does not always work or is delayed.
    I am using the manual mode. I have replaced the relay back in February 2012. Worked fine until last week. If I wiggle the relay or hit the fusebox are it will normally start. Searching the internat the relay is the problem. The relay is standard nothing hi-Tech. It would appear that the relay is not making a good connection but the relay replacement does fix the problem. This replacement I am going to verify that the contacts are good and tweak the terminals to insure that the connection is good.
    Anyone have any sugestions
    I replaced the relay and all is well. I placed the old Blower relay in the accessory relay position and it was intermittent in that position also.
    I took the relay apart and it is very cheaply built. The relay does not have any over-travel. It does not have a very heavy contact for being a 30 amp relay.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    Thanks for coming back and giving us an update!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• trouble19trouble19 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Murano and I 147,389 and I have had some of same problem the window on passenger side won't stay up comes down to same level as yours, the seat frame is crack need to have weld together. had to have all wheel Drive fixed front and back. Now they say I need a transmission and Murano 2003 had a recall on transmission but only the mechanic new about it if you had a issuse at 120,000 which the warranty was extended to without tellint the public i was on a need to know bases if something within those miles then they would fix it rather recall all thosew cars. so if you had a issue with transmission before a 120,000 see NISSAN FOR PAYMENT!!!!!! Corporate wouldn't fix mind.